A combination of red and lemon Virginia and Turkish makes this an exceptionally smooth blend.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

I guess this one never made it onto the radar, let alone fell off. A mottled, severely chop cut mixture of virginia and orientals with a heady bag aroma. After smoking quite a lot of their Oriental Silk and falling heavily for it, this was an obvious try for me. Unfortunately, it falls well short of the trail blazed by its more flavorful brother.

Comparing it further to McClellands Grand Oriental series, it does not taste like any of those but I found it similar in taste bud provocation to the lesser-deemed entries by McClellands. Its flavor was considerably subtler and with less oriental testosterone than Oriental Silk. It had good body but not a lot of depth. OS set the bar rather high, and this one didn't measure up. Still, it might be something to try for someone that wants less oriental flavor, as it is definitely condimental and in the background. Probably a 2 1/2 star blend but downgraded due simply to my disappointment.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of C&D blends and have liked the majority of them but Woodstock Races is one of their few blends that fell short for me. As with many C&D blends it is quite dry, perhaps dryer than it should be. This may be indicative of improper storage of this bulk blend on its way to market or at the vendor?s establishment. Perhaps the extreme dryness in my sample resulted in the loss of its true essence, or at least part of it. I smoked both dry and rehydrated samples.

I found Woodstock Races to be ever so temper mental. If not smoked with a great deal of restraint, it can become harsh and bitter. Sometimes this harshness presented itself upon first light. It settles down a bit afterwards but it can nip if not smoked slowly, much more so than with other VAs I have tried. It has marginal VA sweetness with subtle cigar ?like notes from time-to-time. In short, this blend required too much attention for me. I find nothing notable to recommend Woodstock Races but then again, my parched sample may be the blame for this lackluster review.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Woodstock Races is a nice change of pace for me. I enjoy quality virginias and vapers, but I avoid latakia and strong orientals. Woodstock Races has just the right amount of orientals for me to enjoy w/o being overpowering. The virginias are bright while the orientals peek around the corner to keep it interesting. As with all C&D blends, the mixture is dry but that's the way I like 'em. A great smoke on a hot summer evening with aching muscles and a hot cup of coffee after dinner.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

I was casting about for a simple blend of basic Virginia(s) and Turkish tobaccos when I came upon #453 Woodstock Races from Cornell & Diehl, and it is very close to what I had hoped to find. The sample of this blend is virtually "blonde", that is, a completely light-colored blend with just the fewest of darker shreds among the mixtre of cuts. The tin aroma is nice, but simple - the aroma of basic Virginia and, if one "smells closely", the Turkish will greet them. It packs very well, even in smallish bowls (eg. Stanwell Sixtus pipes and mini-meerchaums). Moisture of my sample was slightly dry but alright. It burns admirably, with few relights needed, and evenly down through the bowl in a medium-gray ash. The taste, as hoped for, is simple Virginia assisted by just enough basic Turkish to balance matters a bit. Make no mistake - Woodstock Races can get hot, bitey and gurgley if one tries to race it. But smoked as a predominantly Virginia blend should be smoked, Woodstock Races is quite nice, tasty, and does, in fact smoke smooth and cool. Doubt it will be an all-day smoke for me but it's a perky Virginia "change-up" among my usual more complex English/Balkan blends. However - Folks who dote on Virginias could easily enjoy multiple bowls of this earthy, tasty but unassuming blend. And it's a nice alternative for Virginia blend fans who aren't gung-ho on Perique or Latakia. Anyone who likes Virginias even a little, especially if kept simple, really ought to give Woodstock Races a try. And if anyone happens to also be a Civil War buff, Woodstock Races - named after an interesting CW battle - has a good story to go with it. Gotta be worth at least 3 stars with all that going for it!

Tiger