This blend of stoved red Virginia and lemon Virginia has a little Latakia added for an English flavor.

Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Overwhelming
None Detected, Extra Strong
Taste
Medium, Overwhelming
Pleasant to Tolerable, Overwhelming

2.0
incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (22)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Under no circumstances should the label be mistaken for a true representation of the flavors. It is not at all a "little latekia." The Virginia was barely noticeable under the booming clouds of LOUD latekia.

I have been enjoying a lot of straight Virginia flakes. When I was younger I overlooked the subtle joys of Virginia blends. The other day I was looking through my cellared tobaccos for a Virginia with some latakia. When I opened the jar, dated three years ago, I knew that this wasn't going to be a Virginia experience. The jar smell didn't even hint at anything but latakia, and smoking a bowl didn't offer anything but loud, really obnoxious latakia.

There are lots of burning-tire latakia blends on the market. This was supposed to be a subtle blend, with hints of smokey lat. If you had to look for the lat while smoking, and had a sweet Virginia setting the stage, it would be wonderful.

Fail.

Pipe Used: Churchwarden briar

Similar Blends: Burning tires.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

Being from the area around Brandy Station, Culpeper, Winchester and Chancellorsville I hoped I would like this blend and I do. This sample has some age on it and I've kept it lightly moist as best I could. As most of you know, C&D blends can be dry as a desert. Visually appealing with colors from blond thru brown to black, the "chop cut" makes loading the pipe simple. The pouch aroma was like...um, hay. Usual lighting ritual is all that's required. First puffs give a pleasant light English flavor with a subdued Latakia smokiness. VA's with a citrusy note and ever so slight sweetness are what you mainly taste. Even after ageing there is still a "young" or "green" taste to this blend, but it is much smoother & less sharp than when I first obtained it & tried it. There is a bitterness that is not unpleasant and fades after 1/3 of a bowl to a richer, fuller body than at first. There is a taste reminescent of a Honduran cigar, I don't know any other way to put it. Not much sweetness left as you progress down the bowl to about the last 1/3, and a bit of a charcoal flavor lingers till the smoke is gone. You know you've just finished smoking natural tobacco without anything to enhance or mask the natural flavors. Burns well and dry to powdery dove gray ash. I used no pipe cleaners during the course of a bowl (about 1 hour). The pipe was an older Ser Jacopo R-1 1/2 bent barrel with a bowl about 2" deep. If you want more Latakia you need to look elsewhwere, but there is enough here to give that leathery, smokey flavor to the blend. Though I like this tobac, I still find myself looking for a little more "substance" as I do with other C&D blends. Their blends seem to have a light airiness to them, even with the fuller blends (at least to me). If this blend was a bit more "dense" or....."thicker"(?) it may be a bit better. Still, it's good as is for a lighter English. I would not object to having some of this around, and may purchase more to have for a stash. Works for me.