The rich aromatic pipe tobacco - Sweet golden and brown virginia leaf matured for extra smoothness.

BrandDan Tobacco
Packaging50g tin
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste

3.2
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Nice tin note and ribbon cut but I don't get all the references to being an Aromatic. I mean, it's not an offensive aroma but it's not a topped flavor/aroma that I associate with an Aromatic. The flavor is hard for me to describe, as there are hints of "Chinese 5 spice" in the taste, overlaid on a sweet but "ashy" burning Virginia. This doesn't bite but it does burn hot and that slightly interferes with what I would call the smoothness.

While smoking, I find myself drifting between moments of greatness and disappointment as this blend seems to lack body. I seem to want to smoke this a little more aggressively in order to bring out more of the flavor, but I find this technique just brings more ashy notes. This might improve with some cellar time, but I'd rather keep space for other more promising blends.

Pipe Used: cob

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)

Founded it by accident in a small shop out town and bought it immediatly. I was very pleased by it, is a good mixture and, even if was an old tin, the tobacco was still smokeable.

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (25)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

First I must preface my comments by stating that I have had the opportunity to go through a bit of this tobacco. The tins description says its an aromatic-well to me its not. What I find in this is a straight forward rich and delicious Virginia Tobacco. Upon opening the tin a nice waft of pure Virginias enters the nose. I detected no casings in that smell. At a glance its a ready rubbed tobacco-nice goldens and dark flue cured ribbons and broken cake. I crimped some together to note the moisture content in this recent tin is spot on. So I placed some on a paper towel to dry briefly until it did not clump when pinched. Loaded the pipe and the charring light was grand as the first thing I got was a nice sweet mellow yet natural flavor of the tobacco. As I relit and continued the tobacco behaved nicely and slow easy puffs yielded a nice sweet tone right down to the bottom. At times there were subtle notes of sweetness that reminded me of a birthdaycake or cookie. It is noted that this is subtle and most likely the natural aged tobacco sweetness. All along while this is going on the lemon, grassy hay tones also are coming through--not too strong and not too weak for this Virginia tobacco lover. It is important to note that for those who do not like Virginias in general or find them bland--well you want to move on to another tobacco. That will leave plenty of this great stuff for me--ha-ha. Anyhow the room note also exhibits the sweetness of the tobacco and as I finished the pipe and dumped the pipe I had a nice gray-white to darker ash. I will also state that for those who fear the Virginia burn from pushing these types of tobaccos by puffing a little hard--well first off--don't do that it will destroy the natural flavors going on and will result in that dreaded burn. Over all--I usually keep this in my rotation as I love just straight ol' Virginia tobaccos and this is a great one offered up from Dan Tobacco.

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)

The description on the Dan website indicates that they "have carefully fermented a quantity of unbelievably palatable and aroma-rich, sweet Virgina from Zambia by pressing until the optimal ripeness was achieved." And goes on to say, "This tobacco is good enought to get by completely without additional flavorings." Now that last statement alone is enough to make any fan of Virginias sit up and take notice, including this one. And indeed there are no top-flavorings detectable. I can't judge whether this applies to casing (or casings), but there was no indication of any that I could find. That alone really makes me want to like this one, and if it is truly uncased, this must be one of the very few out there! Virginias are tough and that is a gutsy thing for a producer to do. And if that is the case (uncased), it's well worth our attention. How else are we going to get to know about Virginias?

It has been thoroughly rubbed out, which means it is a mixture of short and broken ribbons that are surprisingly dry (good!) and tend to crumble to, well, crumbs by the end of the tin. (Buy the smaller tin!) This is all very convincing.

In the pipe it starts off very lightly, not with sweetness but with tannic tanginess. Other qualities elude this smoker for about the first third of the bowl until a sweetness begins to emerge with a bit of floral fruitiness which hits its peak at about mid-bowl. Until this occurs I always have to ask myself if this is really something I want to smoke. It is not particularly enjoyable, but then... the tannins subside as the fruity sweetness becomes more and more apparent. This sweetness thens give way to a delicious earthiness which gains in depth and strength until the end of the bowl. It is in the last third of the bowl that this tobacco shows what it can do. And, yes, there is some nicotine here, as slowly becomes apparent.

Kudos to DTM for this one! Will I smoke this often? No, but I am very grateful to the manufacturers for this lesson in Virginas. This is one instructive smoke, and it burns very well without producing much moisture, leaving the mouth feeling dry and clean with a slightly herbal earthiness lingering on. What started off as a light, tannic, nondescript smoke, becomes substantial and robust; an honest, no- nonsense smoke, that is all about the development in the pipe.

Summary: Has lots of wonderful qualities, but is too much trouble for what it gives back.

If you want to learn about Virginias, this is a must! If not, better steer clear. Two stars, since it really is not for everyone. Four stars for anyone looking to learn more about Virginias. I wish there were more tobaccoes out there without, or with this few, additional flavorings. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for Virginias w/out topping.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I have to say I agree with the descriptions of this tobacco with regards to composition and presentation - however, that is where it ends. The pleasant appearance and aroma of this rubbed out flake in the tin unfortunately did not translate into smoking pleasure. As much as I tried to enjoy this tobacco, it just didn't work for me. Although the smoke is reasonably strong (sharp), in my opinion, it simply lacks body and any form of flavor - even the natural flavor one would expect from Virginian tobaccos of this style and cut.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)

Let's set the record straight. This is a mix of Virginias without toppings and casings. It possesses a natural sweetness which interplays with some tanginess during the smoke. It will make the pipe hotter if one puffs too aggressively and I imagine it could bite one's tongue if smoked in a steamer's pace. That said, it is a great VA that can be smoked all day long without much attention and give VA lovers a lot of pleasure. It is complex in a subtle way, you see the complexity when you pay attention. Not a big nicotine hit, but this is not the purpose of smoking this. The room note is on the positive side for non smokers. Reminds me a lot of Larsen's Old Belt and I have smoked quite some of both. Needs a little drying out of the box and DGTs very well. Dr. Heiko Behrens of Dan Tobacco once told me that if you buy the 250g pack you shouldn't let it age too much because it has a tendency to make quite some "dust". For the right profile of pipe smoker this is a tremendous choice.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Cheering this blend in 2008, I found to be extraordinary, thus not sure about a couple of issues: This blend is a subtly aromatic one, flavoured with nuts, figs, something alcoholic (brandy?) and a hint of vanilla; I couldn't say it is purely natural matured only virginias, as top of the box displays. It's true that is rather a dry blend, ready to fill and light, even if freshly packed. Since then I smoked more than a dozen tins and tobacco was always without an excess of humidity --at least one doesn't have to pay for water content! I found out it's aroma becomes much better and taste more "round" if, on the opening of the tin, loose tobacco rests exposed to open air for half an hour, then put back to its original tin and waiting for a couple of days to give the first light. Burns very well till 4/5 of the bowl bottom, then some more lighting requires to burn the rest. Has no tongue bite if smoked properly, but is prone to burn out the walls of the bowl if puffing too frequently. (I was amazed to see my Dunhill Chestnut sweat on the outside of the bowl!) Anyway, has a sweet taste inviting to give an extra puff from time to time. Delicious tickle of nostrils, that tiny line of smoke escaping from bowl during smoking, gives. Good room note. I highly recommend this blend also for newbies.

taki Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taki (3)

Well, in 2008 was first I gave a try to this tobacco, as I like very much the VAs. September, 25 of the same year I submitted on this board my review as a new blend, including also a photo of the tin, but --I guess-- unfortunately it has been lost...

However, I'm coming back to add a voice over the other two, hereunder, cheering this blend that I found to be extraordinary, thus not sure about a couple of issues: This blend is a subtly aromatic one, flavoured with nuts, figs, something alcoholic (brandy?) and a hint of vanilla; I couldn't say it is purely natural matured only virginias. It's true that is rather a dry blend, ready to fill and light, even if freshly packed. Since then I smoked more than a dozen tins and tobacco was always without an excess of humidity --at least one doesn't have to pay for water content! I found out it's aroma becomes much better and taste more "round" if, on the opening of the tin, loose tobacco rests exposed to open air for half an hour, then put back to its original tin and waiting for a couple of days to give the first light. Burns very well till 4/5 of the bowl bottom, then some more lighting requires to burn the rest. Has no tongue bite if smoked properly, but is prone to burn out the walls of the bowl if puffing too frequently. (I was amazed to see my Dunhill Chestnut sweat on the outside of the bowl!) Anyway, has a sweet taste inviting to give an extra puff from time to time. Delicious tickle of nostrils, that tiny line of smoke escaping from bowl during smoking, gives. I highly recommend this blend also for newbies.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

UPDATE 02/08/2010: Coincidence! I just read the review by Taki and today I just opened my second tin always purchased at the same tobacconist who confirmed that my first tin was a remnant of an order in April 2008. This fresh tobacco is similar to the first, just a little wet and just a little less smooth and flavorful. I confirm that a few months of seasoning enhances all its qualities, not at all a bad thing! TMM is growing on me, I up rate it to 4 stars.

UPDATE 11/30/2009: I found this additional informations on the web site of a retailer: "... Ready rubbed flake composed of bright and brown Virginias from Zambia. Natural aromatic without flavoring"

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I bought this tobacco by chance: I came from a tobacco store to look for other tobacco products that were not available at this dealer, so looking at the various tobacco exposed in one corner of the shelf I noticed a single tin of this blend. Instinctively, I thought it was a remaining balance and I remember reading a good review here I bought The Mellow Mallard. At home, my intuition has proved well founded: opening the tin the tobacco was almost dry (IMHO I think that this tin is more than two years old ...) with a very soft and gentle aroma of figs, and hay, no doubt: classic Virginia absolutely natural. The cut is a thin ready rubbed probably made from a soft pressed cake, at the touch has an elasticity slightly woody almost looks like a Cavendish but this is due to dryness, luckily the scent and color tell another story: anything chocolate / hazel nor faded-washed color, only pure and REAL tobacco. TMM promises little but keeps everything: easy and stable ignition, strength mild, no gurgle, no bite to the tongue, no surprises about taste only good Virginia and nothing else completely unflavored and one-dimensional with the classic tanginess and a bit sharpy,sweet but not too sweet, it can somewhat remember Rattray's Brown Clunee but much more mature, refined and sincere, never sour nor bitter. Personally I could give four stars to this product but this affects my personal taste, objectively not a masterpiece but an enjoyable all-day, very solid three stars. My congratulations and my thanks to Gunnar for his review without which I would have lost this tobacco that I think (IMHO) is really underestimated, what a pity! ..... I went with TMM with a glass of sumptuous Sciacchetrà Cinqueterre, nothing less for give a little justice to this tobacco.

Gunnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gunnar (9)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I was surprised not to see a single review of the Mellow Mallard, so this will be my first review.

I must say, this is not a lame duck! It is a nice and natural broken VA flake of medium strength, but it smokes very smooth and cool and, surprising for a flake of this strength, without any tongue bite.

This is a good one for breaking in a new pipe. Anyway you should smoke it in a very clean pipe to be able to detect the subtle aromas.

All in all an average, good VA flake, but nothing special. If you'd like to experience natural VA taste but are afraid of tongue bite, this one might be worth a try for you.