Golden Virginias, Burleys, Black Cavendish. Excellent Taste, a dash of nutty flavor, mild

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Black Cavendish
FlavoringNuts / Beans
Strength
Taste
3.2
Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)

As always, in the aromatic department, Boswells delivers big time. I am a huge fan of all their blends, but somehow this one eluded me forever. I just recently picked some up. I am convinced J.M. Boswell has formulated a one-of-a-kind casing which he uses on many of his aromatic blends. Quite a few of them have the same base flavor, as does this one. The good thing is, it's a incredibly delicious flavor. Describing this blend as "nutty", isn't quite right. While is could be described as very slightly nutty, it plainly just Burley flavor. Think Burley, brown sugar/maple, a touch of sweet Virginia, and a pinch of spiced rum. Excellent. Obviously blended by a true master of his craft.

Pipe Used: Rick Black Poker

Purchased From: Really?

Similar Blends: Distant cousin of Boswells Premium Burley..

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

This blend is decent. It smells fantastic but the flavor is nearly undetectable. It smells of nuts and sweetness, and i thought i would really enjoy it. Upon lighting however, it tastes virtually like warm air, and a little chemically, which will most likely disappear if left open for a night.

Yes, not a very thorough or technical review, but i dont have much to say. It doesnt taste bad, and is somewhat enjoyable at times. Try it if you wish, but dont expect anything bursting with flavor.

I think it would be gret if the same topping was lightly added to a straight burley blend, That would be nice to try.

nyed001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nyed001 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not too strong nor is it too weak.Lighted very easy and so far have not had any re-lights.I found it has a very well balanced yet nutty flavor.The burley and cavendish seem to pop but neither are over-powering.The wife doesn't mind me smoking this while we watch the tube which is a plus. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone.I will be ordering alot more very soon.

chuckt808 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chuckt808 (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

UPDATE - 11/23/09:

I am going to bump this to 4-stars. This is probably the best aromatic out there. I would call it the quintessential american burley blend. If you're looking for that "aromatic for non-aromatic smokers," this may be it. Not fruity, not goopy, plenty of tobacco taste. I finished my first 2oz and ordered 6oz more. This will be a staple smoke for me.

Original review:

Hunter's choice has a delightful aroma, sweet and nutty but still with an excellent pure tobacco smell. The moisture seems about right, however, this may vary person to person since this is a loose blend and is shipped in a plastic baggy.

One of the things I most enjoy about this blend, almost as much as the taste, is simply getting some whiffs of smoke coming from the pipe -- a lovely room note, I suppose, however I have never smoked it indoors. Complex, mild and slightly nutty, maybe some chocolate if you're looking. I will occasionally stop smoking it in order to simply let the smoke from the bowl waft under my nose.

Lights easily, smokes well. Definitely the coolest smoking blend I have tried so far. No tongue bite whatsoever. Being an ex-cigarette smoker and trying to avoid anything with Burley in it, I was surprised to find myself completely enjoying the flavor of the Burley as it occasionally burst through the light sweetness of the Black Cavendish and the VA, this despite my now being almost revolted by the smell of cigarette smoke. It tastes as well as it smells lit and unlit. Nutty, golden, sweet, but with plenty of mild tobacco goodness. It's definitely not full-flavored, but the subtleness and complexity of this blend keeps it extremely interesting to me. I have smoked 6 bowls so far and have yet to find it boring. I will definitely continue to smoke this where I normally smoke my pipe, believe it or not, while hunting. With rabbit season soon on its way, I will probably need to order several more ounces.

defender Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
defender (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried this blend in a new pipe I picked up at JM's shop last week...it's a delightful change of pace tobacco from my diet of straight VA's, VaPer's and English blends. Each member of this blend provides its distinctive tastes and complimentary flavors from the Burley and Cavendish AND then, just as you relax with the smoke, the sweet taste of Virginia comes curling through periodically as a surprise. Lites easily, easy on the tongue, and remains lit without re-lites and burns with a dry, clean ash.