Say Hello to Plum Pudding! Ahhh, what an exquisite tobacco! This Seattle Pipe Club Blend was created by our own blending guru, Joe Lankford. Plum Pudding is simply a legend in our Club. Many members say it is their perfect tobacco. Delicious, smoky, spicy and positively addictive. Problem was, Joe nearly wore himself out blending so many special requests. So our friends at PipesandCigars.com are blending the precious mixture to Joe's exacting specifications. Now our Club treasure is available to the world in limited quantities. We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

BrandSeattle Pipe Club
Blended ByJoe Lankford
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 or 8 oz tins, bulk.
Strength
Taste

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

After drying Plum Pudding, I break up the kake into smaller chunks being careful to not turn it to dust. At first light I get a smoky sweetness right away. Through the bowl the underlying sweetness from the Cavendish actually makes my lips sticky, which is something that I like. It balances out the Latakia nicely. I haven’t been able to pick up any of the saltiness that others have experienced. Plum Pudding is a very rich, smooth smoke that builds in strength throughout the smoke. I find the flavor remains consistent. I definitely could see Plum Pudding in my regular rotation!

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

An outstanding blend! Spectacular tin note promising all kinds of goodness inside. And this blend delivers.

All English smokers owe it to themselves to taste this. And non-English smokers (such as myself) will more than likely appreciate it just as much. A lot going on here, with the nice added touch of Perique harmoniously blended in and a bit of sweetness from the Cavendish.

While a lover of Perique, I often find myself struggling with Perique-infused English blends. The combination of Latakia and Perique seems a very difficult one to pull off, with the two distinct flavors battling each other rather than creating something new and better than each in its own. The challenge to the blender: How to combine the Virginas, Latakia, Orientals, Perique, and sometimes Cavendish and/or burley in a manner that creates harmony rather than discordance among the constituate tobaccos?

Many blenders try, some succeed. Yet I often find myself, ironically, preferring the non-Perique version. Good examples are Pipeworks & Wilke No.5 vs No.13 (with Perique). I enjoy both, but find myself preferring the non-Perique version. Similarly, Frog Morton on the Bayou - a good blend. But I find myself going back to the original Frog more often and getting my Perique fix from traditional VaPers.

Plum Pudding, however, is an English blend with Perique that doesn't just get it right -- it's a masterpiece. Harmony, balance, thick creamy smoke, just the right amount of sweetness and deeper, earthy flavors. Don't miss this one.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)

A delicious tobacco that I struggle to describe, perhaps because its attraction to me is its chameleon-like behavior within the same bowl and between bowls as well. If I tell myself that I'm smoking a nice oriental-forward blend, I am. If I say that it's a light latakia-forward English with some oriental thrown in, it is. And if I want it to be a rich unflavored cavendish/virginia with a dash of latakia, it presents itself as such. The composition is very nice -- great moisture level on arrival, nice kake chunks that easily break up into small flakes for easy loading and smoking, but not powder as is often the case with kakes. Lights well, volumes of smoke, VERY mellow on the mouth but rich and round in taste. An absolute winner, and a great bulk buy when available as it has kept its integrity in a full 24 ounce mason-type container for a year or so now. I'd have to stretch and lie to find anything meaningfully negative about this tobacco.

Pipe Used: various billiards and KS dublins

Age When Smoked: about a year

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Only thing similar would be blending the best characteristics of London Mixture, EMP, Red Rapparee, Skiff, Squadron Leader, all the Froggies and God knows what else.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (78)

This is a superb full flavored blend that satisfies on all levels. Like C&D Pirate Kake and the Captain Earle blends, there's something gratifying about working with a firmly pressed Latakia mixture. In the realm of krumble kakes, Plum Pudding is about as densely pressed as they come. You have to really dig in and get your fingers dirty to properly prepare this for smoking. The tactile nature of the process is quite satisfying and the various crumbled bits and pieces created by the effort rewards the meticulous with an incredibly complex smoke, one that takes many twists and turns along the way and everything about it is absolutely beautiful.

From charring light to finish this blend is delicious. It starts off creamy, spicy and fragrant. It begins firing on all cylinders about a fourth of the way down the bowl. At this point it's smooth, rich, bold and flavorful, tangy, smoky, sweet and spicy. By mid bowl to end, the perique really comes into focus. The piquancy is quite a treat. Zesty and full, the smoke nips at the tongue in the most delightful way, heightening the experience of this remarkably flavorful & cool smoking-mixture. Frankly, Plum Pudding is a thrilling & luscious olfactory overload.

The only downside with this tobacco is that it can be a bit challenging to keep lit. I found that rubbing it out thoroughly, allowing it to dry for a spell and gravity filling it, while being sure to tamp lightly along the way really helped. Altogether it’s not a big deal. Plum Pudding is so good that it’s worth the effort. A must try for Latakia lovers.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Prince

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)

I have longed for a creamy latakia, a salty, smokey, creamy sort of tobacco, a tobacco malt, if you will, to contrast the salty, leathery latakias I love so well. Here it is.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

With so many tobaccos involved, it's either hit or miss. I am happy to say that this mixture is a hit in all aspects.

A creamy and dry smoke with a smooth finish. I get a sweet, sour, salty, smoky and slightly fermented taste from a slow burning tobacco. A harmony of flavors with a canvas of Latakia on which the other tobaccos are added to create a masterpiece English mixture.

Congratulations to the Seattle Pipe Club and thank you for sharing this refreshing offering with us.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Dee-licious!!!...Up among the best ever...Too bad I can't afford this on a regular basis...Will buy a few ounces from time to time to cellar for special occasions.

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: fresh from Smokingpipes

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not too much to enjoy for me in this blend .If you like heavily cased tobacco that is sickly sweet & syrupy with a lot of topping this might hit the right notes for you, You don't need much of this blend cause the taste will stay with you for days. Why do I bother with aromatics??

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A dissapointment for me after all the glowing reviews. To me the flavor was monochromatic and it just slightly disagreed with my sinuses and throat. Certainly an adequate krumble kake, but not on my must have list.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Based on a sample of about one ounce. Crumble cake of mottled color, focusing on the dark. Nice snootful of latakia in the tin with a hint of perique and oriental. I appreciate Seoul Sister's review because for my first bowl I did just what she said not to do - I rubbed it out too much. And since I couldn't correct it, I went ahead and filled the pipe and smoked it. I got a lot of dust in my mouth, had to empty and refill the pipe to fix blockage and had a less than stellar smoke. I should have just tossed that bowl immediately but I hate throwing away good tobacco!

Overall, and based on my limited sample, this one promised more than it delivered. It was a decent smoke that I can certainly recommend, but it seemed fairly ordinary in a crowded field of this type of blend. The latakia was to the forefront but only slightly. The orientals took a backseat and the perique was there but only occasionally, at least in the taste. I got a very slight sweetness from the Cavendish but I got the impression that it was there more for added body and fullness. The taste was on the salty side and rather bitter. That's not a negative - GLP's Charing Cross has a strong bitter note and I enjoy that one immensely. But I would have preferred a stronger oriental component here.

2.5 stars rounded up to 3 but I could have just as easily rounded down to 2. Recommended but not destined for my cellar, nor did it justify an occasional tin. But certainly a worthy blend for those that prefer English-type blends over strong Balkans.

Pipe Used: meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 year

speakeasy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speakeasy (1)

I wanted to love this. I can't even say I liked this. Chemical nose. Room note is somewhat unpleasant. Taste is ok. There is depth and some natural sweetness. Just not for me.

Update 6/6/14 Contacted Pipes and Cigars about my experience and was promptly provided another opportunity to try this tobacco. First tin must have been bad. Fresh batch was very enjoyable. Spicy, Smokey and a touch sweet.

Pipe Used: Bent Billiard

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well this stuff is right up my alley, just like a Peaty Scotch. I prefer to leave it a bit chunky not fully rubbing it out, gravity pack with a very gentle tamp. A bit more time to get it combusting fully and well worth it in my view. I really like pressed and flaked blends for their long smouldering burns, this one goes for a long time and never hot at least for me. The moisture content is perfect.

It's not a huge Latakia bomb and actually quite gentle on the palate with a nice full/round creaminess for me that's the pudding part. The Perique is there and melds-in just right.

This one does change a fair bit down through the bowl and for the better, deeper and more savoury, showing balance all the way down and does not stumble at all. Slowing down even more it really sings, combusting to a powder white ash with nothing left at all. Something extra is a gentle topping not sure what it is, kind of reminds me of black Cardamon, ever so slight and works well.

If you enjoy Boswell's Northwoods or Compton's York or No. 10 you'll like this one too . . . a most comforting blend on a snowy evening.

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (12)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

there is officially now only 1 tobacco: Plum Pudding. I am a fan of English tobacco. This is an incredible blend. everything about it is perfect. the name Plum Pudding describes it perfectly

Pipe Used: Peterson System standard XL305

Similar Blends: God. or an angel. or a chorus of Angles..

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (71)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I remember when this blend came out on the market, what a stir it caused. I bought one of those little overpriced tins as soon as I got the chance in fear this blend would disappear.........several years later its still here, and I see the majority of online retailers are now carrying it. I finally popped the can to see what the hype was about and boy was I disappointed, I'm not going to say this stuff is junk as I fear I might offend the majority of the world's pipe smokers but it is certainly over rated and over priced. Once I got passed the wet dog smell in the tin, I had a hard time keeping it lit, taste was nowhere near the "Nirvana" level and it certainly left me unsatisfied. I don't regret buying it as this isn't the first or last blend that I didn't think was that great, I respect the opinion and tastes of others so I recommend asking for a sample with your next tobacco order and see for yourself. One star from me on the smoking experience, 4 stars to Joe Lankford for making his dream blend a commercial success, even if I don't like it.

Pipe Used: Largo Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: Current production

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Plum Pudding is the perfect example of how one person's feast is another's famine. Simply read a sampling of the reviews for proof of this and the fact that reviews are...entertainment at best. I will not linger for long and offer up uninspiring analysis. I love the stuff and thank Joe for dreaming it up. I discovered it a couple of years ago when like many I began a useless quest to replace Penzance. It's not that venerable tobacco and I don't care. It's rich, tasty and satisfying. Whatever the "something extra" is is yummy!

Yes, I know that Penzance is allegedly still produced but it's lack of availability and Loch Ness sighting status means it's off my radar.

Try some Plum Pudding, it's worth it. You might like it, you might not but that's all part of the fun of our hobby. One thing is certain, the speed with which it gets sold means there is at least one or two of us that enjoys the Pudd!

Pipe Used: Ashton Panel LX

Age When Smoked: varies

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (47)

Please read the reviews for this carefully. This blend is simply AMAZING! One reviewer likend this blend the the old Dunhill blend Nightcap. I truly agree and think this tobacco a bit better. Absolutely hooked and can't get enough! Try it if you like a good Balkan/English blend.

Pipe Used: Briars dedicated to this tobacco style.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This "krumble kake" comes in densely pressed pieces that sometimes are quite hard to break up. Rather than try to rub it out, I break it into small chunks and fill the bowl by gravity, topping off with finer, well-rubbed ribbons. Think of it more like a very dense flake in terms of how it behaves. Good for a breezy day.

The Latakia is the dominant flavor. The Orientals provide a floral scent. If I focus, I can taste the Perique. It has a flavor profile that reminds me of Penzance, not that it tastes like Penzance, just a close cousin or sibling. There is no sweetness at all. This is strictly a savory and smoky blend with a floral bouquet from the Orientals.

Not as much nicotine as the Mississippi River blend by SPC.

The big negative is that it burns very hot. That could just be the casing. Puff very slowly or you will have a scalded tongue!

Recommended only for Latakia-loving English blend smokers.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

PP is a tobacco I thought I would like much more than I did.

The tin note does have a mild perique scent to it-- and it smells great. I love the pressed bricks which break up like a crumble cake. The down side to the brick, though, is moisture. Unless PP is allowed to dry out pretty thoroughly it will smoke wet, which in addition to giving it a bitey quality, depresses the flavor.

As to flavor, I struggled throughout the 2 oz. tin to find much. It improved with dryness as I smoked through the tin. Still, the blend just never jumped out at me with either big flavor or subtle nuance. My tin was dated April 2009, so perhaps aging would help. In all, I'd try a second tin in the future but PP just seemed somewhat off the mark to me.

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The best way I can describe the tin aroma is a musty odor...something akin to a horse blanket or dirty sweat socks. Fortunately, the smoke is much more tolerable. The pressed cake pieces look like fresh-baked, Betty Crocker brownies. I was expecting another blend of Latakia overload. That was not the case here...smokes like a Balkan. Some have stated this is similar to Penzance, but is smoother & sweeter. This and other comparisons prompted me to try this blend. I think that the Latakia variety used in this blend is probably Cyprian.

Plum Pudding delivers in all aspects of a quality pipe tobacco. I believe it might even make a good chaw after a soak in some ribbon cane syrup. FWIW, I mainly smoke VA or VA/Per blends. I've been trying to find a Latakia blend that I like and this is not it. It's pretty good, but after a while, became disagreeable to my palate & I won't be buying any more. OK...two st**s!

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Joe is one heck of a nice guy. This tobacco smokes ok and reminds me of Frog Morton. If you want to introduce an aromatic smoker to an english type blend then this may be a great cross-over. I prefer non-aromatic/non-cased mixtures with my latakia.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Strong

Plum Pudding is a very good English/Balkan krumble kake that has the requisite smoky latakia body but with a mild sweetness that persists throughout the bowl, likely due to a topping as well as the contributions of the cavendish. It falls just short of my four-star mark, though, for perhaps the same reason that non-balkan smokers may find this one more to their liking: The sum total lacks a bit of the pungent oomph and cheese-like complexity that I savor in my favorites. But, again, it's very good and worth trying. It's not wimpy by any stretch, it just lacks a slight edge that would push it into the realm of greatness for my palate. I am sure it will hit the sweet spot for many pipesters, particularly those who would like to like Balkan blends, but have found them too Balkany (Balkanish? Balkanized?).

As a krumble kake, this stuff requires rubbing out and considerable drying, unless you need to burn down your stash of matches. (I was impatient with my last bowl which, consequently, ended up using an entire box.)

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a cool, slow burning balkan with no bite or harshness whatsoever. The spicy, sweet flavors begin to kick in about 3/4 bowl for me and last till the end. The after taste is even sweeter and last well into the following morning after an evening bowl. I like the plastic tin cap because it seals drum tight and no moisture is lost.

JPC1114 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JPC1114 (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

To all of you that Never tried this English Krumble Cake Blend You are Missing out on a Great smoking tobacco. I just bought a 2 oz. tin and Love it! Ready to Buy the 8 Oz. Tin and store it for a few months. Wish they would sell it Bulk?

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (12)
Medium Mild Very Full Pleasant

After reading the reviews on this tobacco I knew I had to try it. I have/had been a 965 fan for many years but as it became harder to get I knew I would have to change. I ordered a couple of tins and opened one the minute it arrived. What a great smoke! Somewhat difficult to prepare as it is a hard pressed baccy. Easy to light and a wonderful aroma. The latakia is not to heavy but perfectly balanced. Never over powering but excellent down to the very last. I cant indentify the " something extra " listed on the lable but whatever it is I am not complaining. One of the best English/Balkans I have ever had.

jazzyguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzyguy (15)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

This is a delicious Balkan Blend of Oriental,Virginia and Latakia in a slice type flake cut which is great. At one time I tried it (several months ago) and it bit me. I cellared it and now smoking it in a small briar it tastes wonderful.There is a mention on the label that "something extra" is added. Does anyone know what the "something extra" might be?

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I normally take tin descriptions with a grain of salt as tobacconists normally tend to be a bit overzealous in their descriptions of blends as a marketing technique. Frankly, most of it is bullshit.

Well, not the case here. This stuff is nothing short of incredible.The flavors are exactly as described by previous reviews of this blend. Cool burning, no bite and delicious even with only a couple of weeks in the tin. I can't even begin to imagine what this tobacco would be like with some age on it. If there is such a thing as the "perfect pipe tobacco", this would be it. I can't come up with the words to adequately describe just how good it really is, so I'll leave that for you to figure out. Buy it. It's worth every penny.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I am not an insider of the Seattle Pipe Club. In fact, I have never met any of their members (although I am sure I would enjoy doing that). Heck . . .I don't even live in Washington. So this is a 100% unbiased review.

This tobacco is very tasty! It sort of is like Penzance - but sweeter - and with a spicy twist. Out of the tin it is is dryer and firmer. The nose is more refined with less Latakia and a hint of something sweet/spicy (which I cannot yet figure out - perhaps the Perique). At the match it is nothing short of magic. Smokey, salty, gently and naturally sweet, a bit of spice . . . I could go on. It really is great stuff. Even the aroma left on my hands is soothing and delicious. It tends to nip me so probably best smoked as an occasional rich treat.

If you like English blends then just go get this before it is gone. Really. You will be glad you did.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (33)
Strong Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I want to state up front that I found this blend to be fantastic and I knew it from the first puff. It is rare that I regret selling any tin of tobacco, but I once won an 8 oz tin in the St. Louis Pipe Club's silent auction for an amazing $13.00! I resold it last year at our NASPC show for $20.00 and then opened a newer 2 oz tin and discovered this blend's magic - live and learn, I guess.

Yes the crumble cake format is a little more difficult to work up to pipe loading, but the reward is well worth the effort. Rich, creamy, well rounded formulation; this blend is just a joy to handle and smoke. All of its components work in joyous harmony. When I smoke this blend I understand the image on the old Smoker's Haven tins showing a happy guy slumped back in his easy chair with smoke gently wafting up into the room. Yes, I'm saying that this blend is somewhat nirvana-like in its intoxication. I just wonder what that "little something extra" is in this blend.

I guess after all that you can easily see just how much I enjoy this blend and I heartily recommend Plumb Pudding to every English smoker. The only negative I experienced was just how quickly it disappeared from both my pipe bowl and from the tin but, hey, we can always open another tin can't we?

Once I lit my first bowl, this tobacco rocketed straight to four star status. Try it.

Pipe Used: Charatan Executive from the 1960's

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: some other crumble cake Balkans, but really unique.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (52)

Finally got my hands on an oz. of this pudding cake from the city of coffee and rain. Wow, what a unique smoke. Delicious, unique. I can see why this is so popular. If you haven't tried it imagine a cake of smooth cool smoky latakia with a touch of sweetness along with a touch of spice. I experienced it all within the small bowl and without a such much as a hint of bite. I'm a fan of Perique and it was in the back at first but made itself known by adding a touch of spice near the middle and last of the bowl. I like that. Grade A Pipe Club weed right here. Great job to the blender… Highly recommended.

Age When Smoked: Bulk blend.

Purchased From: PipesandCIgars.com

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the more interesting English blends I've smoked. The tin note (just one ounce in a baggie) is nice but subtle. The "kake" was dryer than it looked and doesn't need much (if any) drying time.

For the first third of the bowl, the room note outshined the smoke. For the last two thirds, the smoke was delicious while the room note became more complex. The flavor is ever changing but incredibly harmonious; takes you to unexpected places without missing a beat. This one's perfect for "snorking." Soak it up.

This is really good stuff. Very high three stars, rounding up to four.

rtheen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rtheen (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco I found to smell of strong latakia upon first opening. I actually waited to smoke it due to strong room note I thought it would have. However, I found this blend to have a great full bodied flavor with some nice orientals lightly coming through. The room note was tolerable to the fiance which was a nice surprise. I find the smoke long and cool which is great. To me this tobacco smokes well slow but hot so I like a wide bowl to smoke out of, less of a success with my longer smaller bowls.

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (16)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm pretty new to pipe smoking and I feel that my palette is WAY too underdeveloped to begin to get into depth with this tobacco. For now I'll have to settle with saying that this is a smoky, savory type of tobacco with flavors and aromas that I can't yet adequately recognize or describe.

Plum Pudding is a very good smoke with a great tin smell, nic effect, and burn rate. I'll have to revisit this one once I get a few dozen different tins smoked so I have a better idea of how to evaluate all of the exquisite goodies going on in this blend.

Pipe Used: MM Hardwood

Purchased From: P and C.com

arfenhouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arfenhouse (6)

Mellow latiaka smokiness, subtle sweetness in middle, and a slight sour peppery finish. More sweetness and pepper towards the end of the bowl. I usually don't like much perique in english blends but maybe because of the cav it works out fine here.

Solid, no frills, well made english.

3.5/4 stars

I won't detail the frustration and experimentation I went through trying to figure out how to get the most from this smoke. I'll just say it smokes best, for me, bone dry and firmly stuffed. Not terribly complex, probably due to the marriage of the various components during the making of the cake. What I got was a smooth, smoky, spicy, sweet Latakia flavor. Quite good and appealing. Medium bodied and flavored. Consistent from the top of the bowl to the bottom. Enjoyable, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Pipe Used: Various cobs and briars.

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Smokes cool and complex all the way through. Sipping it, once you're into the bowl, allows the individual players to come out. For the first few minutes the casing is evident. It then fades way back, allowing the blending at work to shine. The Latakia is always evident, but not an attention hog. The Orientals are most evident on the retrohale, the Virginias on the palate during the draw. The Perique is somewhat evident in the second half, with no actor overwhelming. Very good blending, ditto on the tobaccos used. Burns clean and easy throughout. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Billiard Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: >= 6 months

Purchased From: Gift from BOTL

Briar and Ice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar and Ice (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Plum Pudding

First, I would like to point out that the name by itself just sounds like figuratively the best smoke ever invented. Marketed as an English blend, but don't be fooled, this is easily the one of the weakest English blends I have ever tasted, by that I simply mean that the signature redolence of Latakia, often an accompaniment to English blends, is not overpowering here. You will enjoy this tobacco if you are not used to Latakia, it might not be your favorite, but there is enough going on elsewhere on the palette that this smoke will most likely be tolerable even for those who are not of the Latakian ilk.

I bought this in bulk, 8 oz to be exact, and despite its numerous containers it still manages to reek through the bag. The Perique and the Latakia attack your nose up front, which is a common feature of the aged and spicy Perique, which when accompanied by the leathery zest of the Latakia, is really quite an extraordinary smell.

Crumbling down to size, carefully packing the bowl, and minutes later a customary crisp has formed atop the bowl, and smoke is billowing out of the mouthpiece as I pull the pipe from my mouth between puffs. Beatifully subtle, there are so many flavors going on in this bowl, that to really break it down, one must close their eyes, puffing slowly and savoring the taste. The sweetness of the Virginias and the Cavendish serve as the basis of what I would call the "Plum" of this blend, strengthened all the further by the Addition of Turkish tobacco, which has a richer taste, and together these three build the fruitier part of the taste, this is much more pronounced in the opening puffs, because the crisp has not yet built up enough to reinforce the pungency of the other, stronger tobaccos, and the sweetness is what pours out to start. As the bowl continues, the Perique releases its development of the thick and smoky spice that forms the basis of the "Pudding" part of the bowl, with the even thicker Oriental still yet adding another layer, until the Latakia finally completes the thick and creamy, yet earthy soil of the pudding, and with the "Plum" side fading just slightly further into the background, the bowl reaches is peak for about 5 minutes when all of the flavors are working in near perfect balance. This is the harkening of a delicious tobacco. Going in I thought that a blend of this kind would be overwhelming, but it really is exquisite to experience all of the flavors adding slowly as the character of the smoke develops. Each step along the way is as delicious as the previous, and if all goes off without a hitch, Plum Pudding just really hits the spot like no other, not unlike a 6-course meal of fine, delicious tobacco.

Pipe Used: Werner Mummert Sanblasted De Stijl Poker

Purchased From: pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/

Similar Blends: In a class of one, really..

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

This is a great English Blend, I very like it from the start I open the tin. After rubbed from the rumble cake form, it is easy to pack, I made it 3 layer pack into the bowl, make the first light and then smoke it. The smokes is so great, my respiratory, both on my nose and my mouth full of the spiciness and the peppery taste from the oriental and the perique, I really enjoy it. And sure for those who doesn't like a spicy or peppery taste I suggest don't try this blend. For those who ussually smokes VaPer or strong English this blend surely will not dissappointed, the spiciness and the peppery taste is very good and finished well with sweetness.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Kaga

Gedackt16 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gedackt16 (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Exquisite! Mostly everything there is to be written about this blend already has. It's full-bodied, palpable, soft, smooth. One of my go-to tobaccos thus far.

One thing though. I'm a bit of an amateur so I don't want to make waves. But...this tobacco is classified on this site as a VaPer. Doesn't the tin itself read Balkan/English?

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (8)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Heard a lot about this blend on the YouTubes so after waiting for this to pop up in stock I nabbed a few ozs and took this for a test drive. Not too shabby at all! Smokey, spicey, peppery... like mentioned in other reviews the flavors really pop about halfway through the bowl. A bit of a high maintenance smoke though. Quite a few relights and burns a little wet... no bigs. The flavor outweighs the work. I noticed the latakia mellows a bit after being jarred for a few months. This stuff is amazing in a cob in the morning! Dig it!

Pipe Used: David Jones lovat, cob

Age When Smoked: new/few months

bxHELL piPeR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bxHELL piPeR (2)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

EXCELLENT! what else can i say without being such a nerd. took me some time and arrangements to get some, as i live in belgium and pipes & cigars won't ship outside of the u.s. but it is definitely worth it and i bought half a pound. very smooth, subtle and complex.

Pipe Used: hackert, l'antara, dunhill, mm cc

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Not bad. Flavor is quite consistent. Very strong and strange plastic smell from the mid bowl. Not as gunky as Mississippi River brings to the bowl. Though looks like heavily cased, there is no improper aromatic smell. I always disagree to put any perique into an English blend. It makes the flavor younger. And i always agree that a great amount of Oriental brings English more matured, old, and lathery flavor. In this case, Oriental is either hardly tasted or disturbed by Perique. Strange thing to put Perique into English. Overall I think the recipe makes the blend younger, a little bit too young. Although the sugar casing (i guess) makes the blend mellow and sweet, it tastes just not matured and deep enough. It is not going to compete with Penzance in anyway, and definitely not as good as Margate or Pembroke. Two key issues: recipe and aging. There is nothing to complain spending 62 dollars to buy 16oz of tobacco tasted nicer than 965, but I hate the blend wasting me so much time to buy it. I checked online for almost 30 days to see it available. It does not deserve this. Artisan blend is even better. I am an old school English smoker? Maybe.

Pipe Used: Tsuge Blowfish

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)

Plum Pudding is a very nice, smooth, smoky, English Blend. With the name "Plum Pudding", I expected some element of topping, but happily there is none. I'm quite firmly a Comptons of Galashiels Blends devotee, closely followed by Pipes and Cigars Marquee Magnum Opus and Black House. Plum Pudding reminds me of Marquee Black House - smoky and just spicy enough, yet clean and smooth. I'm a sipper, but Plum Pudding still burns fast and hot for me. In its favor, even though a bit hot, it offers no bite. I like it, and will let it age some before giving it a final assessment. For now, it deserves a solid 3 stars.

1badmotorfinger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1badmotorfinger (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a novice pipe smoker and wanted to try an English blend. After looking thru other reviews here I decided to give plum pudding a try and boy am I glad that I did. Has a very nice flavor and an ever so slight aftertaste that's actually pleasant. I'll be getting more of this very soon to cellar- its that good!

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The general listing says that this tobacco is not available in bulk, but it most assuredly is available in bulk from Pipesandcigars.com. After having been on backorder for seven weeks, I finally received eight oz. bulk yesterday.

There were several blocks of krumble cake, but most of the tobacco was loose and perfectly fresh and moist. Eight oz. fills up a Mason jar perfectly.

My first impressions are that this is a high quality tobacco blend, with a complex mix of flavors. All of the bowls that I have smoked so far, have started off tasty and spicy from the very first light. About a third of the way down the bowl, I get a slightly salty taste and then the flavor profile explodes, and the Orientals make themselves known. Pleasant aftertaste.

Burn is incredibly good, with zero drying time. Ash is a fine white. No tongue or mouth burn whatsoever. The bowl does tend to get a little hot, due to my aggressive puffing. I find that when the tobacco does not relight, it is because there is no unburnt tobacco left in the bowl. Zero dottle. Pipe is virtually clean when the bowl is through.

In short, this is a tobacco worth waiting for, and sure to become a new favorite in my rotation. Four stars. Worthy of its praise, and highly recommended.

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (14)

Sweet Grandmother's Spatula, that's good. Picked up a few ounces. Most of what I could say has already been said in praise of this amazing blend. I'll just add that my largest purchase of any one tobacco was 16 oz. I went and got 3 lbs of this. I am not close to that amount in another other blend.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

This blend is among the best! It took me about two ounces before I fell in love with it. Perfectly blended, very spicy with just a note of sweetness. This is up there with Penzance, although they are very different blends in there own way. I'm smoking a 2 yr old 8oz tin so this may have something to do with it's brilliant flavor. All I can say is, if you like a spicy full flavored English blend than this should be right up your alley! This is not an aromatic.... It's not even a cross over blend. This wouldn't be a good blend to travel with because there is some maintenance involved with rubbing out the thick chunks of cake but in my opinion it's well worth it and serves its purpose as part of the ritual we pipe smokers like so much, even when preparing the smoke. Essential.

bagPIPEer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bagPIPEer (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Please re-read all previous comments. It's a dead issue. This is a FANTASTIC, MUST SMOKE English blend. Finally! A replacement for NightCap!

hobbit_monk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hobbit_monk (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Full Strong

By far this is one of my favorite blends I have ever tried. I loved it so much that I bought 10 oz. in bulk, and cellared 3 oz. to age. You can tell immediately that this is going to be a good smoke. The smell of the kakes are incredibly rich, sweet, and tasty. Rubbing it out is such a pleasure too! It leaves a wonderful smell on your hands. The first puff is so incredible!! I love the full flavored taste. You can taste all the blends in a perfect harmony. When blown through the nostrils it brings an even fuller taste. Incredible. I enjoy this blend right down to the last puff, everytime!!!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very , creamy, sour, salty, flavorful and BITTER, all in a good way. I think you could smoke this all day long as long as you are not looking for sweetness. Very slow burning, and excellent on the relight. I'm not a big fan of "Krumple Kake "cuts but this does make for a slow burn. The blend has a very nice balance between the Orientals , Latakia, with the Latakia more out front and with no bite (some spice from the Perique?).

A word about the blends bitterness, it's not a bad thing, just diffrent, kind of like eating a 90% dark chocolate, not a bad thing, very flavorful just not sweet, ( I'm in shock with some of the other reviewers that find this blend sweet, knowing the knowledge of many of these fine reviewers, I feel this may be due too my chemistry).

Although, I'm rating this 4 stars , I do have other blends I like better. I prefer a little more sweetness.

updated 12/23/12- I've purchased another bulk batch, and now has about 3 month of cellar time (original review had about 9 months). I'm somewhat disappointed, this batch seems spicier and more muted in flavor than before. Not as creamy and not enough Latakia or Oriental for me, others may find this perfect. This may improve with more time but I'm reducing this to 3 stars

updated 9/9/13 Well, my bulk now has about a year in the cellar and it is wonderful. Very creamy and yes, some sweetness. I find this very similar to "Old Dog" and GLP's "Charing Cross". This one has the Perique that gives that little spice. I think the spice could get hot if you pushed this. This does seem to need a year of time before it's ready. Pushed this back to 4 stars

bob-bennett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob-bennett (3)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Just another enthusiastic four-star review for Seattle Pipe Club's "Plum Pudding". I started out with a 4-oz. bulk purchase from PIPESANDCIGARS.COM (apparently the only purveyor of this blend). It was love-at-first-bowl. It had me at "hello". This was "the beginning of a beautiful friendship". [Okay, that'll do it for movie-related clichés.] Seriously, a wonderful tobacco. Other smokers may know of blends that are similar, but for my limited knowledge Plum Pudding occupies a tasty niche all its own.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A pressed cake blend, the cavendish makes the smoke smooth and slightly sweet. The virginas and perique give it a nice spiciness that keeps it interesting. As for the "VitaminL"...

The latakia is pungently excellent throughout! For fellow latakia fans, I'd rate PP as a medium-latakia strength English blend. Smells great in the tin, tastes great smoking it, and PP smells great clouding up wherever you are when you are puffing away.

The best praise I can give Plum Pudding is that I really look forward to smoking it. I love latakia and this is the kind of English blend that makes me really enjoy pipe smoking.

Four stars amigos!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been smoking this on and off for the past year and a half and I find that it is the Krumble Kake that I keep going back to most often. I prefer it fully rubbed out and on the dry side. Although I like Penzance, IMHO Plum Pudding is simply better. It has a broader range of flavor and its easy to come by. The small amount of Cavendish lends just a slight sweetness to the blend along with some fullness. I find the Latakia, the Orientals and the Cavendish carry the day here with the Virginia'a and Perique in a distant support roll. I enjoy is best in a smaller bowl and sipped slowly to extract all of the wonderful flavors. Recommended.

Similar Blends: Nor' Easter by Watch City Cigar.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This one lives up to its reputation in my book. I received a fairly fresh tin a few months ago and finally got around to opening it. Not normally a back to back Latakia smoker, I did down a couple of bowls of this in a hurry. The Perique is far in the background, the orientals smooth out any roughness and what I really found to be a terrific addition was the cavendish that gave Plum Pudding a full body.

When I first saw the name Plum Pudding, I was sure it was an aromatic. Strangest name for an English blend I've come across. It smokes evenly, burns well and does indeed leave a bit of a Latakia breath hanging around the mouth.

Erik-Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik-Peterson (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is quite possibly my all time favorite tobacco. Upon opening the bag, (it is sold in bulk at pipesandcigars.com) there is a wonderful aroma of Latakia. Once lit, the room note is very pleasant, with a sweet leathery smell to it. A subtle english tobacco, yet very smooth and slightly sweet.

This is a great choice for any smoker, from the lover of rich English blends, to the new smoker who likes aromatics. This is a great smoke, well worth trying.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Oh-Oh it's magic...everything in perfect balance..Just like tin states: Delicious, smoky, spicy and positively addictive

revcc1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
revcc1 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A perfect afternoon smoke. Not too heavy on the Latakia but enough to taste like a proper English tobacco. A nice subtle blend with oriental overtones. A very nice everyday smoke.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Simply put, one of the best English mixtures I've ever tried. The main star is Cyprian Latakia, so wonderfully combined with sweet Virginias and Orientals and lightly spiced with Perique. So smoky, so smooth... You all really need to try this outstanding product.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

Uncharacteristic of most tin descriptions, Plum Pudding's description is spot on for me. "Delicious, smoky, spicy and positively addictive" There's not any more I can really say.

soli Deo gloria

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

First, a complaint. Strangely, my tin was primarily composed of ribbons, but buried deep beneath that top layer was a single compressed brick. WTF? Is this a quality control issue? Did someone get lazy and simply decide to forgo bricking the remaining tobacco?

Well, aside from my initial anger here, not quite getting the advertised product, I actually do prefer its present state. In truth, the brick is only a pressed block of ribbon, anyhow, the same as many C&D crumble cakes, and seems mostly an aesthetic alternative that adds no particular dimension to the flavor. I just find it somewhat random to see a tin of tobacco in such confused disarray, from the good people at Habana Premium, of all places.

As for the taste, this is wonderful stuff. It's a solid English mix, with plenty of strength, a pronounced sweetness, owing perhaps to a topping of some kind, and it has a nice, spicy prominence no doubt characteristic of the Oriental component. What's not to like? The proportions are well balanced-- the sweet smokiness drives the blend, with dark leaf comprising roughly half the tin, the remainder, a dark, reddish brown assortment of Virginias and Orientals. There are no high notes here, but instead a deep meaty flavor, with a heightened strength most likely a product of the added Perique.

And yes, this is the rare, cased English, of which I have tried a couple, namely those in the Frog Morton Series, which I find too light in body, and Perfection, which, while stronger, had a strange aftertaste that didn't quite meld, in my opinion.

There are a handful of Cavendish laden Englishes out there, Black Mallory comes to mind, and of course, 965. But I'm terrible at placing the leaf--hell, I can't even begin to describe how 965 differs from Standard Mixture, though I'll admit to loving the both of them. For all I know, a cased Cavendish might be the source of Plum Pudding's sweetness, rather than a straight topping. Though I'm not an expert on these matters. I will say, however, if you want a sugary English with some decent body, this is your best bet.

Well done!

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)

Sniffing the freshly opened tin reminded me of a sweaty horse blanket. After lighting up, similarities of Penzance came to mind. For reasons unknown, the tobaccos never seemed to meld into a sweet flavor I was expecting. The Latakia is always in the forefront and pretty much dominated the tastes in this blend.

This smoked very smooth & mild with good burning properties when properly dried. The cake crumbles easily and stays moist for a long time. If not dried out pretty good, it will burn slow, produce little smoke & will be hard to keep lit. I thought it became rather one dimensional and too bland after a few draws and remained the same throughout the entire bowl.

Not a great deal of flavor ever developed for me & nothing truly sensational ever surfaced. It does have some good smoking qualities & flavor but this wasn't a bell ringer for me. However, with its mild smoking charactertics & English atmosphere, I can understand how many would find this exceptional. I'll rate this about 2.7 stars. Sampled in a size two Dunhill.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

One evening I read at http://forum.pipeclub.gr about some tobaccos made by the Seattle Pipe Club. All 3 blends were brought to me. Plum Pudding was by luck the first one I've tried. I haven't smoked many cakes. I was impressed by the different color alternations it had: red, brown, black and a bit blond. And an undetermined scent. It contains Cavendish, Virginia, Perique, Oriental and Latakia. None of it makes its presence detectable, but they compose a very well balanced mixture, sweet, piquant with full flavor. Flavors that interchange very pleasantly. Also, although for me Perique does not leave a pleasing aftertaste, in this mixture it didn't occur. For my first smoke I used the “small cubes” technique. In my second, I cut a piece and rubbed it. It seems to have high levels of humidity which however does not influence the tobacco. That is to say it didn't need to dry out in order to smoke it. Moreover it lights very easily and it smokes slowly. Fortunately I have one more tin; otherwise I would feel very insecure, as I usually do, until another tin was brought to me. The room note does not cause grange faces as other Latakia tobaccos cause.

regulator3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
regulator3 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first taste of an English/Balkin blend, I am trying to broaden my horizon as a smoker. When I opened the tin the scent of the tobacco about knocked my socks off. It was a very earthy smell and the fact it was pressed cake, I had never smoked a cake before so I wasn't sure, I used to smoke christmas cheer 2000 so i rubed it out like i would that. loaded it up in one of my bent apple shaped pipes and lit. I had a hard time keeping it lit it took me 4 char lights and then i got it going for about 5 minutes and then had to re-light and re-light. Altough i think the tobacco was moist hence the trouble keeping it burning it never gurgled in the pipe. The flavor was out of this world though. I enjoyed what i associated with a nutty kind of flavor like the after taste of a cashew, and that spicy sweetness you get from the virginia's, The people around me didn't seem to mind the smell of it burning, I think I am going to mason jar cellar this tobac for a while and then dry a little bit before i get carried away with it. Definately would reccomend this as an early morning with first cup of coffee kind of blend or maybe an after dinner kids are going to bed and i am about to head that way after my pipe kind of smoke.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

I have just uploaded a picture of an opened tin of Plumpudding as this should show why it is called so. Nothing further to add to the reviews here but I will mention that I do not detect any aromatic flavouring of any kind.

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)

This is great blend and when rubbed out, delivers a wonderful and rewarding smoke. It's complex, though not overpowering. Does not bite and will remain in my rotation.

stoked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoked (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Plumb Pudding is by far one of the most enjoyable pipe tobacco experiences I have had. It has beautiful colours in the kake. Lots of reds and some dark reds/browns that must be stoved virginias. It can be crumbled or sliced right from the tin, filled and smoked with minimal relights. This is a beautiful oriental/english blend with a nice plum like topping. As you smoke you can taste the orientals - light and refreshing. You can taste a little latakia and once in a while tastes like a VaPer. All the while through the bowl these flavours come out through the plum - which is not over the top but just a perfectly engineered as a compliment to the quality tobaccos which remain the highlight. Outstanding! Thanks to SPC for sharing this one with the rest of us.

Background: I like Englishes, Orientals, VaPers, various flakes. Not a huge aromatic fan.

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Plum Pudding was my one of my first purchases of crumble cake. SPCP reminds me of C&D Bow Legged Bear. In look ,smell, and taste. It took me a while to get it to stay lit. Once I got the right crumbling technique, and moisture, it was no problem. The taste is incredible. Smooth, smokey and slightly sweet doesn't do this balkan blend justice. It may have a slight topping that gives it a slight aromatic flavor. I like the tin, because it forms a very good seal. In the tin Plum Pudding has a good, strong tobacco smell and colour. This is a must try.

I have been wanting to sample this blend for a good while now as Sillem's Black is one of my favorite smokes of all time and I have been searching for a rotation partner with similar qualities. I do enjoy Latakia blends that are sweeter than those of traditional English origins. This is where Sillem's Black fits the bill, and I was hoping to find another that was similar.

Mine was a 2 ounce sample tin that was tinned on 9-22-09. I have never seen a crumble cake as well put together as this one is. Actually, they should call it "brick cake" or something like that as it did not crumble in a fashion that I have experienced with other crumble cakes. I actually prefer the harder version that Plum Pudding presented as. The tin aroma was of Latakia and a mild smelling earthiness - like peat moss. The earthiness I attributed to the Perique. No sweetness in the tin note and very little in the taste department. For me, I would have preferred more sweetness to balance the dryness to the palate I always find with Latakia.

After preparing a portion of this brick for my pipe, the lighting was very easy. One char, a tamp, and a re-light was all it took to keep this glowing. My sample was not dry by any means, nor was it sticky. Actually, the tobacco is so compressed that it is hard to actually comment on its moisture level by appearance and feel alone. It must have been just right since I had one of the most effortless smokes ever. This just kept going even after putting the pipe down for a minute every now and then. I could not actually define any aromatic casing or top dressing while smoking. The sweetness was too mild in what I expected to find, and there was a salty component as well. I don't know what the "something extra" was since I could not detect its presence; unless it was meant to be the ever present taste of salt! A bit of gurgle, but nothing major with that.

I smoked this in a Hardcastle bent billiard. It burned very consistently and slowly. It did not burn hot nor was there any bite - even with fast puffing. I'm assuming the Perique added the mild saltiness which thankfully was not too overbearing. The biggest problem was the lack of flavor - or I should say "generic" flavor that was way too bland. The Latakia was subdued, but that is fine by me. Salt I'd rather taste on my food, not in my smoke.

This was but a mild Balkan. Nothing fancy nor special to rave about. I prefer Sillem's Black over Plum Pudding since the tobacco has a very nice sweetness added and no saltiness. Needless to say, Plum Pudding doesn't compare with Sillem's Black and my search for the Black's partner continues. Perhaps a good introduction for those not familiar with Latakia. I can not give it higher than 2 stars since it lacked that "something extra" for me.

marcovgv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marcovgv (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the perfect introduction to English/Balkan blends. Personally I have always found the pouch aroma of English blends to be intimidating. I believe this is one of the factors that keeps new pipe smokers choosing aromatic tobaccos, they smell good so they must smoke good. This is the first English Balkan blend i have smoked and i chose it because it has a pleasant rating regarding room note. I cannot say enough about this tobacco. Now if i could only find other English blends like this one, anyone have any other recommendations? i think Penzance is next.

Hook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hook (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of my favorite blends. It starts out with a sweet first light. Then turns complex. The tobaccos used are married well with the pressing. The amount of Latakia gives this blend a nice smoky flavor, the Oriental gives it a light touch of spice, and the Virginias gives a sweetness to this blend. It smokes very slow so expect a long smoke even in a small bowl. There is no bite in this blend. Once cellared for 6 to 12 months this blend will mellow even more, but it is ready to smoke when first bought.

As the English say about Latakia "It has a plum pudding flavor." This is where the name comes from. This blend has an ample amount of Latakia, is a very slow burning balkin type tobacco with no additives. Expect a nice long smoke even in a small bowl, depending on how you rub it out. ENJOY.

Update 02/13/2010- Due to a couple of reviews here I feel like I should say that there are no casing or top note on this tobacco. What little cavendish is in this blend I would be surprised if anyone could taste it. This is not an aromatic tobacco, and not meant to be. Joe

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Fantastic! One of the best tobaccos I have ever sampled. Buy it while it lasts...

1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1 (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this from pipesandcigars.com due to the high reviews. I was not disapointed. If you like latakia you will like this blend, no doubt. tobaccoreviews.com has help me tremendously in finding the right product for my needs.

Pipes530 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipes530 (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

FANTASTIC!! Let me just say this is BETTER than Penzance & it's all I want for Christmas!! 4 stars without a doubt!

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I tip my hat to Joe Lankford. This is perhaps the best Latakia blend I have had the pleasure to smoke since Whidbey Island Supreme.

This tobac is a lot more than just a Latakia blast, the balance between sweet, salty, smokey and rich is near perfect. It smokes slow and dry, a good tobacco for contemplating the state of the world.

Spike Malice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spike Malice (4)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This has become my favorite end of the day smoke. It comes in chunks about 2 1/2" long, 1" wide and 1/2" thick. It is a very dark pruplish color, and needs to be rubbed out. This one takes a while to smoke, and the blend is never, ever boring. the balance of these flavors of Latakia, Perique, Orientals and Virginias is amazing. Set aside some time, and enjoy this spicy, smokey, sweet and wonderful tobacco.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)

This near perfect blend reminds me of Penzance without the hard edged Latakia right off the bat (Don't get me wrong, I love Penzance but this is better and smoother). The taste is complex, with a smooth Latakia note throughout the bowl, at the same time allowing the other components their time in the spotlight. The Virginas, Perique and Orientals each take their turn, so your get a good sense of all of them as you smoke down the bowl. Best, in my opinion, in a small to medium sized bowl, because it is a bit wet right out of the can. This is because of the cut - a flake and crumble cake mix, sort of. I have never seen anything like it. I guess it looks like actual Plum Pudding in a way. I normally do not rub out flakes but this one you have to in order to keep it lit. I have introduced this blend to several others and it has become a big hit. By far my favorite Balkin-style blend - even though it is in short supply. It's simply a delight! Highly recommended.