An extremely bright, carefully selected Virginia tobaccos, toasted Burley and a bit of Java (cigar leaf). Well balanced combination of different cuts deliver flavor, softness, freshness and a cool smooth burning smoke with no bite.

BrandSavinelli
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp & Co.
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Virginia
2.1
xenofondas1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
xenofondas1 (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the first review if am writing...and I am new to pipe smoking. I tried my first pipe about a year ago but my senses are not new to this sort of thing.

This tobacco does have a noticeable bite and although just a little it's still noticeable.

It is I would agree, with some of the others, rather bland and not exciting at all.

I do find the earthy taste there along with a slight hint, only just though, of orange. The flavour very mild as it may be, lingers for quite a while. I guess that is a bonus?

You could recommend this, I guess to a beginner but one that is new to any sort of smoking altogether. An introductory blend i would say.

It needs to be puffed slowly.

Art Pagano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Art Pagano (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming

I tried this blend several times and each bowl was very unpleasant. It has a noticeable bite and unpleasant taste and aroma.

stephenspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephenspring (13)

Having returned to pipes, I've also returned to smoking pipes with various teas. Tonight tried a bowl of Savinelli's Special Tobacco which is described as carefully selected Virginia, toasted burley and a bit of java. In addition, Savinelli says it's "well balanced combination of differnt cuts deliver flavor, softness, freshness and a cool smooth burning smoke with no bite." Judging by my experience, I will listen to Savinelli. Once lighted, it burned consistently. I even tried a few aggressive puffs to see if it would bite - it did not. This tobacco is a very, very pleasant smoke and I could taste the differing flavors of the Virginia and burley at various times. I enjoyed the richness of the Virginia tobacco selected. Very very nice is the best way I can describe it. Cool smoking, nice flavor, very relaxing. Mr. Savinelli, obviously you and your blenders know your stuff.

Modulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Modulus (5)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Great blend... I'm a beginner with English blends, so I suppose you should take my review with a grain of salt, but I thought that this tobacco was great. Good flavor, very cool burning, no bite... Pleasant earthy taste.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Special tobacco very nice looking tin and thats where it stops. Very wet no taste no aroma. really have to sniff for the scent on this blend to find something

huffnpuff

Yes, tobacco is grown in Java. This blend was very good, though I would call it a ribbon (mostly) rather than a broken flake. Nice full and rich taste, no flavorings that I could sense, a light casing perhaps. I paid too much for it. Wasn't "special," but a solid quality blend.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Think of the aroma and ambience of a wood fire: not alot of nuances, subtleties, sweetness or or high notes. This is how this tobacco comes across to me. Earthy, woody, slightly smoky. (Not a Latakia smokiness - I detect Latweed neither in the tin or the bowl.) There is not alot of variety here that I can detect as one proceeds down the bowl - there are no delicate interplays, surprising crescendos, etc. If there are any orientals hiding in here, they are very subtle. This is not one that needs to be "studied". But, that is not at all bad.

The flavors, which seems to start off on the weak side, tend to linger in the mouth, so that as the bowl continues there is a building of layers of flavor over time so that the second half of the smoke is quite satisfying and I am left savoring this long after the bowl is done. That makes it very enjoyable as an evening or after-meal smoke. The room note is moderate and is akin to a wood fire, which I find enjoyable, but may or may not please others in the room.

I assume that "Java" in the description refers to coffee....I'm not familiar with any "Java" tobacco leaf. (Is there such a thing?) Do I taste coffee here? Not overtly...my guess is if its there it is contributing to the lingering earthiness, which does comes across as a touch acidic.

Moisture content is just about right (no PG goopiness), requiring only a slight drying for optimal burn, which is steady and easy. I get bitten by ALOT of tobaccos, so I was pleasantly surprised that this blend was so kind to me, and only with excessive puffing could I sense a little bite. Nico level seems to be mild to moderate. I feel this one definitely benefits from a dedicated pipe: give it a half-dozen bowls in a single pipe and it will feel like an old friend.

My up-front expectation was like most of my other ventures into unusual blends: I would load up the first pipeful, scorch my tongue, and/or then spend an hour trying to get the awful taste out of my mouth and hoping that I could salvage the pipe. Especially since this one has zero reviews on tobaccoreviews.com - which is usually not a good sign! But, for someone who usually prefers the likes of 1792, GH Dark Flake, ropes and such, I found this a surprisingly enjoyable blend. I plan to add it to the stockpile for aging.

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

The Java flavor was so light that I couldn't even tell it was there. Imagine a blend with perfect ingredients for making an aromatic but without any flavor. Savinelli makes excellent pipes, but I am not impressed with their tobaccos so far.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is definitely not what I would call an "English" tobacco blend. I read a few of the other reviews and I don't get the "campfire" aroma either, more like just plain old Virginia tobacco aroma only lighter. The taste is very mild, grassy, almost flavorless but with no tongue bite at all and burns to a fine grey ash in the bowl.

As with other reviewers, the smoking experience left me wondering what's so "special" about this particular blend. It's not unpleasant at all, but I'm sort of with the reviewer who suggested throwing a bit of Latakia into the mix and creating a very mild English blend out of it. I think you might really have something then.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)

An interesting aromatic, soft on casing, a bit campfire in taste, but it does miss the spot somewhat. I blended the last half of the tin...says it all really.

Newbie2010 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie2010 (12)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

UPDATE: I have since had a few of more bowls and slowed down as much as possible when smoking this and I still get tongue bite, which has now become annoying. I think what's most annoying is that the blender says "with no bite." And to that I say, HORSE HOCKEY! I have yet to experience tongue bite with any other tobaccos that I have tried. The tin aroma is great. The room note and mild flavor, once past the tongue bite, are sweet, floral and fruity, but not enough for me to solidly recommend it. So I'm scaling back my prior recommendation...

2/12/10: New to pipe smoking and really enjoying it. Because I'm a cigar smoker, I prefer a fuller, stronger taste. I favor the English blends, Latakia over aromatics. I bought a Savinelli pipe (Baronet Bruyere 320EX) and got this tobacco as an added bonus. Its aroma from the tin is great and reminds me of sweet licorice. I've smoked a couple of bowls and I've had some tongue bite, and I haven't experienced that with other tobaccos. I'm just going to attribute it to being new to the sport. While I prefer more robust tobaccos, I do like the mild flavor and the room note. A very nice addition to a growing collection.