Mild to medium aromatic

Taste
3.7
fcpiii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fcpiii (3)

I am writing this for old times sake... I started with OTC bulks but found them harh and nasty... I can't remeber how I found Ehrlich's in School in Boston in the mid 70's but I did and would order 1/2 lb by mil once or twice a year . Occasionally I got to boston to visit the SHrineitself on Tremont ST...

This was a very nice and smooth aromatic that I couldsmoke all day.. There was no bite and it was heveanly....Sadly thngs change.... My 2006 visit found the Shrine closed ad te Tremont store dark and empty... I tracked Ehrlish's down to a corner of a Cigar bar in Fanueil HAll and bought 8 oz, before trying it... It is a shadow of it's forer self It may be that I got a stale batch, as I don't think they sell much any more, but I would try others... I have found English blends and Peretti's which fortuately is still going strong and has many more tobaccos...

bosbilliard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bosbilliard (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I decided to buy an ounce of this while visiting Leavitt and Peirce one day. I had heard about the original DPE blend and asked about it while I was there, but the clerk said they had been having trouble getting it produced. The only other tobacco that was suggested to me was Judge's Mixture, so I decided to try it.

I couldn't be more glad I did!

I can honestly say that JM will probably be one of if not my GO TO tobacco. From the time I lit the bowl of this to the end, the taste stayed flavorful, sweet, and was much different than other Black Cavendish blends I had tried. The flavor had something different; a sweet spot that stayed consistent throughout the entire bowl. There was no bite, no sourness, and no harshness. This is what I had been looking for in a pipe tobacco, and I found it.

Only two tobaccos have put me in the zone since I began pipe smoking; this is one of them. I enjoyed this entire bowl from beginning to end, and it never disappointed. A must try if one ever decides to sample DPE tobaccos.

Biodag Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Biodag (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I?ve been smoking JM for over 30 years, for much of that time as my only tobacco. The large, old Ehrlich shop on Tremont St. in Boston had a carver or pipe refurbisher working in the window, an amazing array of pipes & tobaccos, and a first-rate offering of their own mixtures. Ehrlich is still in business on-line & has a shop in Churchill?s Lounge near Faneuil Hall.

JM is a mellow, slightly sweet Black Cavendish lightly scented with mango. The aromatic quality lasts through aging & drying. Even compared with highly rated English and hybrid mixtures, and certainly with other aromatics, JM is IMHO 4 star.