BrandVan Eerkoms
FlavoringCaramel
Packaging100 gramme packet
CountryZA
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Full

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Again like Boxer, this review is entirely possible due to the kindness of Mo from South Africa.

First a bit of a story....

For many years members of my family were missionaries, in Papua and Africa mainly. I had an aunt who ran a school and medical mission just outside Bulawayu in what was then Rhodesia. She never married and the African children in her care were her life and she was utterly devoted to them. Sadly she was thrown out of the country when the regime changed, and the children lost the love and care of one of the most gentle Christian women I have ever known. However the point of this story is that she used to send home pipe tobacco to my father who really appreciated fine African grown blends...one of which was Jock. Named after the famous Jock of the bushveld, a dog who faithfully travelled with his master through southern Africa in the late 19th Century...this pipe tobacco was supposed to be a pipe smoker's friend along the same lines.

So...back to Mo's kind gift.

I love this tobacco; not just because of the story above, but because it really is one of the finest I have smoked.

It is a typical African grown blend. There are absolutely no common attributes to American grown blends as far as I can tell. On opening the plastic 100 gramme pouch you are greeted with a scent reminiscent of SG's FVF..but drier and more delicate...no Malawi tobacco here as far as I can tell. It does have a scent, unlike Boxer, but it's whispery...it teases your nose rather than surges at it.

It comes in a ready rubbed form of 3 colours I think and packs easily into the pipe. Not anywhere near as dry as Boxer, it still lights well with clouds of blue grey smoke. It burns gentle on the mouth, absolutely no roof of the mouth abrasion or tongue bite. There is complexity here, nowhere near as much as American virginia's, but you would not come to African tobacco's to find that anyway...maybe the climate is too hot for that to develop in the growing leaf; but I detect creaminess mixed with a vanilla like warmth. Its fleeting, but it is there.

Unlike Boxer, you can smoke it slowly..it will let you sip at it. That's one of this blend's many attributes...it's able to be contemplative and puffed through while you are out or working at some task. The room note is mild and pleasant enough and I've had no complaints at all.

As far as strength goes...I would imagine that our American cousins will find this pretty powerful stuff. I say that because American tobacco's all seem pretty mild to me and I can only imagine that as we Brits have been raised on African grown weed, we have got used to far more powerful varieties grown in the hot African sun than the USA Virginias. But to me, it's not strong at all.

To sum up...this is a superb tobacco. I would venture to say that it is better than almost ANY blend available in the UK today..some SG and G&H blends equal it (just about) but do not surpass it. Maybe it appeals to us UK smokers because it comes from the parts of Africa that historically supplied us with many fine tobacco's...but to the discerning pipester from the USA, it should give you the authentic, definitive experience of African tobacco at its very best.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was gifted a sample of this blend and i love it. Not available here in Australia so if any members from SA would like a trade let me know. If i could get this all the time it would be in my top three tobaccos to smoke.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Sample from a fellow Pipe forum member

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Others have described this tobacco well: full taste, earthy and very tasty.

What fascinates me is the caramel. It's a dark caramel made from brown sugar and spice, and it's subtle, but it is there. This sweetness on top of the full, earthy taste is simply delicious. It comes through in the room note too. The room note is strong, yes, but there is a sweet presence - just a hint, to be sure - which gives this tobacco a strong yet appealing aroma.

One word: satisfying.

Timonmeerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timonmeerkat (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my staple tobacco for daily use. Not too dry, not too wet straight out of the new packet. It does become a little better with a few minutes of drying before smoking. As I am a constant pipe smoker that has given up cigarettes, I regularly take a deep drag or three and put the pipe down to go out. This tobacco relights easily so that I may enjoy those frequent short smokes. Good taste, not too strong. The room note maight be a bit strong for the liking of some. Very well priced. My favourite! I inhale my pipe and this inhales fine!

Papa Koala Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papa Koala (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Crickey! What can I say? I read the two reviews, and as soon as I could went down to my local tobacconist and purchased a 100g pouch. Got home and prepared for a good 'ponder'. Cracking the pack the first thought was of really heavy sweet loam or mulch, a very earthy and pleasant aroma. Filled the bowl and lit up. This is NOT going to win you any friends in the 'room note' stakes. It reminded me of a cigar, not the cheap OTC variety but a big fat Cuban. The taste was at first very much that of a cigar then as I puffed away sweetness came through, a musky sweet marshmallowy taste. The billowing smoke around my head added a rich loamy earth like background note. It is rather difficult to describe. The other description I suppose would be of the smell you would get from a good campfire built on rich damp earth. I like this a lot. Unless your partner has no sense of smell at all do not expect to be able to get away with this indoors. They will not appreciate it. Instead kick back on your stoep (in South Africa) or veranda (everywhere else) light up and enjoy. About half way through my mouth started to dry out so I poured myself a BIG glass of Cabernet and alternatively sipped and puffed. From my point the perfect combination as opposed to more usual glass of whiskey or brandy. I will be getting this tobacco again and it will be fixture on my shopping list. One liner Review? " Big, bold, manly, fantastic stuff. Not for the chardonnay sipping fraternity."

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I will give this blend 4 stars for what it is. Probably the best African blend. Like we as pipers get an English, a Balkan etc, African blends too have their own distictive flavour.

I find this blend very easy to smoke and this is probably the base tobacco of most of the house blends one finds in South African tobacconists. It is a very rich smoke and full of spice and flavour, it is a smoke that one needs to sit to enjoy as the layers of flavour and taste as the bowl progresses changes all the time.

It burns slowly and a bowlfull lasts a long time, esp if one is used to smoking straight VA blends that tend to nip.

I do not smoke many English/Balkan blends but i will award 4 stars when i come across a good one. This is a great African blend and deserves the same respect.

Mo, South Africa