Bear Blend - A very bold smoke. Cherry caramel tasting tobacco that our good friends John & Bill blended here at our store along with Dan. Together they captured the complexity and full bodied flavor of the blended premium tobaccos. The result will dazzle your senses.

BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco

3.4
marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This seems like a beefed up Berry Cobbler to me, with perhaps slightly more virginias and cavendish, and the addition of latakia. LIke all Boswell blends, it is very mild, even if this is supposed to be one of their more stout concoctions. These are very fine blends for what they are, and if you like smooth smoking high burley content aromatics with a lot of aromatic room note but not a lot of tobacco flavor or complexity, then you are sure to love Boswell, and Bear Blend. Part of that formula also calls for no bite (due to the light hand with the virginias?) and really no appreciable nicotine. These remind me of the House of Windsor blends, which were supposed to be high quality reissues of drugstore offerings of yesteryear.

Do not take my assessment as a criticism or slight of Boswell. I am merely pointing out where they fall on the spectrum, as opposed to say 1792 or Peterson flake, in terms of strength and style. I can honestly say I reach for this type of blend, when I am working for example, more often than something like 1792. They require little fussing once lit, and can be enjoyed without paying too much attention to them. Each has its place. I have friends who concentrate on smoking English blends, and I tell them to branch out and try some of the higher quality aromatics, of which Boswell certainly is at the top. For those who claim to only smoke aromatics, or, more incredibly, only Boswell blends, I would say the same thing, there is a whole world out there to sample, and you can learn and improve your pipe smoking skills if you force yourself to master some of the more demanding styles, like a good virginia flake. I know Boswell has tins aplenty from other companies, so they are clearly down with that approach!

With respect to Bear Blend, I really could not detect the latakia. It did show more virginia flavor and qualities, and requires a little more care to achieve that cool Boswell smoke. I find that all of their mixtures really benefit from a good drying out, and this one requires more drying than most. Give it a few hours and you are going to have a much tastier and more enjoyable experience.

I do taste the carmel and cherry, with a little more tobacco flavor than in other Boswell blends. Perhaps that is where the latakia is coming through. My one gripe is that this, like Berry Cobbler, has a funky aftertaste between puffs. A logical conclusion would be that this is a result of the cherry flavoring used, as I do not detect this aftertaste in their other blends that I have tried. While it is not overwhelming, and does not ruin the smoke, it is there, and is distracting, especially if you are used to more natural blends.

Along with that aftertaste, I rate this one a little lower also because unlike most Boswell mixtures, it at least purports to be a medium to full bodied smoke, and it really is not in any way. The latakia is not significant enough to play any real role in the blend, and it lacks the backbone and complexity that more virginia based mixtures offer. I would love to see the guys at Boswell really tackle a true medium to full bodied blend, with more complex virginias and other component leafs. This one, while not bad, is just not there in terms of body or strength.

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

First off let me say I am a Boswell kinda guy. I smoke only Boswell pipes & Boswell Tobacco. I have five 8oz. jars on my counter filled with...Boswells Best, Boswells Burley, No Bite Delight, Countryside & my latest addition to my rotation..Bear Blend. I'm not into "Cherry" blends so I never ordered any but after the wife & I drove 2 hrs to their shop I figured I try it while i was there. WOW!! What a GREAT smoke!! The aroma in the bag says Cherry but it doesn't SGREAM it & that goes the same for the flavor. The Cherry is there but not overpowering & it blends well with a nice tobacco flavor, a bit of Honey/Vanilla & every so often during each bowl the mild Latakia finds you & you find yourself with a bit of a smile. Even if you're NOT an English smoker, don't be afraid of this blend. ITS A WONDERFULL SMOKE!! J.M.Boswell has hit more home runs than A-Rod & here goes another one out of the park!!

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I bought this on recommendation during my most recent Boswell's visit. I told them I tend to like the aromatics but want something that's got a little body to it and some more complexities. They recommended this blend because of the light amount of Latakia in it. I don't often buy blends with Latakia but this smelled great so I took the recommendation and bought an ounce. I am pleasantly surprised!

This is a really nice blend. It's a great middle of the road aromatic with a hint of Latakia. Perfect for someone trying to start to expand beyond the traditional Cavendish, Burley and Virginias... The Latakia comes through as a hint in the rest of the sweet aromatic blend. It has a light bit of the same cherry sweetness (though much more subtle) from the PA Dutch treat that hangs out for most of the bowl before falling out. It stays cool and is still nice on the relight. No bite to this blend just like the other Boswell Blends.

Because of the Latakia it has a little more body than most of the aromatics, but it's still a very mild light blend. Room note is quite pleasant, anyone who enjoys an aromatic will enjoy this scent. It's more complex than your standard sweetness, but the sweetness is still the driving scent in the air. The room note may have been the highlight for me. Second would be the hint of Latakia shining through... and I'm not a Latakia smoker typically. This is just enough to start to enjoy it.

I've worked through the bulk of Boswell's blends at this point and this is one of the better ones. I like a blend that walks the line between aromatic and natural flavors and while this leans heavily on the aromatic side, the introduction of Latakia for someone who doesn't usually smoke it, was quite nice. A strong 3 star blend...

Pipe Used: Restored Dr Grabow Color Duke

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: Boswell B+M visit

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Smooth and gebtle smoking, subtle aromas of cherry and caramel, absolutely no bite whatsoever--this is another dream tobacco from J. M. and the boys.

Ursus Horribilis? I don't think so. This tobacco smells so wonderful your wife will encourage you to smoke it indoors and may begin calling you "my little Teddy Bear." Now THAT'S a good tobacco, eh?

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Boswells Bear Blend is a very pleasant aromatic. I love the smell and flavor of it. Its not too heavily cherry flavored, and the caramel comes in at the end quite nicely. Good tobacco foundation comes through with each puff, but its smooth and has no bite. I have a favorite sweater I wear at home. When I have a bowl of Bear Blend while wearing it, my wife is happy to give me a hug, snuggling her nose into my shoulder and chest. I like the aroma too. Not much more can be asked of an aromatic - smooth, no bite, great aroma, pleasing to the wife, and flavorful. Comforable, friendly, pipe tobacco. Really quite good.

Age When Smoked: recent

Purchased From: Boswells Tobacco

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a pretty good blend. Slight cherry flavor and a good sweetness. Reminds me of pipes and pleasures pipemaker blend. I like it enough to keep some on hand. It's a good all day smoke for sure.

Purchased From: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smoke and wood from the Cyprian latakia in this blend is so slight that I barely sense it. More prominent is the citrusy, grassy Virginias and the cherry flavor is very understated, though it does leave an after taste that lingers if you immediately go and smoke something else. I detect a little vanilla, a very light honey note, and a light caramel note. The nic-hit is mild. I detected no bite or harsh moments. Burns cool and clean and a little slow and may need a light dry time. Has a very consistent flavor from start to finish. Needs a few relights. The after taste and room notes are very pleasant. Can be an all day smoke for the experienced aro-smoker.

Vikingfan60 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vikingfan60 (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Love this blend. Mild,great room note,no bite. One of the blends I reach for more often. Stays lit, no goop in bottom of bowl. Could smoke it all day and not get tired of it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Few weeks

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The bear blend is a treat if you enjoy aromatics as well as a good flavored tobacco. The smell is of a caramel with a fruity note hidden in there. The tobacco is easy to work with lights well, another enjoyable aromatic that has no bite to it but has a good tobacco rich flavor. The room note as always with boswells aromatics is very favorable and just plain smells good. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys aromatics as well as a person who enjoys a good straight tobacco flavored smoke. I will also put a shout out on this review to the workers at boswells awesome customer service very fast at getting the products shipped out to the customers.

Purchased From: Boswells Pipes Chambersburg PA

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received my 2 ounce sample earlier in the week - and at first was somewhat disappointed. I expected a bigger aromatic - considering the review.

However, like most tobaccos I found myself falling in love with the mellow warmth and complexity of this blend.

Rather than getting knocked on my keester with on over the top aromatic I found a very pleasant friend indeed.

Bear Blend is extremely smooth, doesn't leave a foulness in the pipe and there is no pipe bite.

Highly recommended.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If I were to describe this blend in two words, they would be: Cherry-tangy! Boswells are great to do business with. This is a good aro. that is more bold, robust, and fuller than most others, especially cherry blends. It smells great from the pouch and smells about the same when smoked. I seems to make me want to cough, even though I don't inhale from time to time though....like the tartness is so powerful. Love the blend! It is actually cherry delicious.

Pipe Used: Poker, Bent Billard

Age When Smoked: New from store - 1-3 months

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)

A very nice blend from Boswell. The cherry casing is not to sweet and overwhelming, as it is in Penn Dutch Treat. Great middle of the road aromatic. It could be an all day smoke-no tounge bite at all. Good stuff.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I detect a bit of Latikia in this blend. As some have stated, a great crossover blend for someone looking to wean themselves off of artificially cased aromatics. Slight cherry smell in the pouch, but it really shows its cherry note on palate when the bowl is finished. Smokes with absolutely no tongue bite, and clouds of thick, rich smoke.

Would pair well with your morning coffee.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice aromatic smoke! Definitely more of a caramel flavor, didn't find much of the cherry, but that's OK. It has a little more strength than most aromatics of this genre, and that's OK too. Strength does not mean vitamin N, you won't find much of that. What you will find is a smooth, flavorful aromatic smoke. It can get a little moist so have a few pipe cleaners ready. I prefer using a Savinelli balsa filter for a smooth, uninterrupted and maintenance free smoke.

Kaziwazee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kaziwazee (8)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A very good aromatic. This is the type of tobacco that becomes a lifelong companion: something you smoke after a long day. It relaxes the mind and just puts you at ease. The name "Bear Blend" suits it perfectly, since there is a very subtle honey flavour that dances at the tip of the nose as it is being smoked. Very cool in the pipe and mouth. A definite winner!

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Virginia, some Cavendish and a sprinkle of Latakia? Cherry,berry, Carmel but not overwhelming. Not goopy, not phony flavoring, just a dang good smoke! Quality fixins done in a quality way. May not be everyone’s bell cow but it is a great example of how an aromatic should be done. Will buy more for sure!

Purchased From: Boswell

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have recently returned to Aromatics. I enjoy them as a first smoke of the day with strong coffee and occasionally in the evening for dessert. Boswell and Uhle's are pretty much what I like to stick to as they are very reliable and not overly cased. The tin note on Bear Blend is amazing, best part of any aromatic. I could use a satchel to hang in my office! It is a pleasant cherry vanilla aroma and reminds me of what pipe tobacco smells like in my minds early definitions from childhood and my great grandfathers. I have read others reviews that there is Latakia in this blend, it is not in the tin description, I don't see it and it isn't on the Boswell's web site as part of the blend. Maybe it is in there but I do not detect it in tin note or smoke at all. I dry all of my aromatics for hours (I like drier tobacco to begin with and these just take longer to dry). Once dried out the flavor is a pleasure to smoke and burns at a moderate pace. Cherry is the first thing I get and it starts to fade a bit and the vanilla topping comes in to really harmonize nicely with the other flavors. The Virginia's and I assume Virginia Cavendish is what I get in tobacco flavor. Nice sweet earthy notes, some grassiness and even some brown sugar. This is a great flavored blend and as odd as it sound it has all of those flavors but isn't overly sweet, if that makes any sense. Room note is spectacular. This is one to smoke walking down a city street and you will be complemented on your smoking choice. Perhaps because I dry it out there is not much moisture in the bowl when done. Another great tobacco from Boswell!

Pipe Used: cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: less than 1 year

Purchased From: Bosewell Pipes and Tobacco

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (9)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has quickly become my morning commute smoke after trying a 2oz tin of it. The tin note smells chemically (the toppings) but that doesn't come through the taste of the tobacco.

It's a pleasant cherry taste which reminds me of the black cherry blend I got from the local B&M years ago when I smoked.

Pipe Used: Cob, Canadian, Radiator

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I have found Boswell tobaccos to be high quality and usually flavorful. This blend leaves a bit to be desired as far as flavor goes. It is an average aromatic it's a decent room note. Just not my most favorite blend out there but still a good blend. As you can see from all the Boswell reviews these gentleman are some fine tobacconist.

Pipe Used: Nording/Missouri Meerschaum gentleman cob

hwmcadoo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hwmcadoo (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

What a great tobacco. Perfect for just reading, drinking, thinking. No bite, not a challenge, just pure pleasure. Not too strong, not too light. I like most Boswell blends and find it hard to make just one my smoke but Bear Blend comes close to my favorite.

Pipe Used: Boswell

Age When Smoked: 76

Purchased From: Boswell's

Woof Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Woof (1)
Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Picked up this blend after quitting cigarettes and after not smoking a pipe for 30 years. I must say , I got very lucky. This bear blend is awesome. Even better than my old blend i used to love .

Pipe Used: Italian briar

Age When Smoked: 65

Purchased From: Boswell's pipes

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)

I bought one of Bowswell's Aromatic samplers. Of the 8 tobacco's included, this was probably my least favorite. It is indeed a stronger tobacco, but I did not pick up on the carmel cherry taste once I lit it. Room note did not pass the wife test. All around not an unsatisfying smoke, but there are other, better Boswell blends like Berry cobbler.

Purchased From: Boswell (via phone)

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)

Like most of Boswell's blends, this one is perfectly suited to breaking in a new Boswell pipe. But for more existential pursuits, there are certainly better blends out there.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Purchased From: Boswell's

ScottieD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottieD (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I received this for Christmas along with other samples of Mr Bosswells blends. I have found this to be a smooth Aromatic with hints of caramel and cherry and a slight hint of Latakia. I think this is a wonderful blend for all day. It is not to strong and therefore can be enjoyed i any pipe large or small . With a beautiful room note you want be disappointed . A very pleasant smoke even for the most seasoned smoker. Great job well done !

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: BOSEWELLS

Similar Blends: Winsors.

ScottieD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScottieD (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I received this for Christmas along with other samples of Mr Bosswells blends. I have found this to be a smooth Aromatic with hints of caramel and cherry and a slight hint of Latakia. I think this is a wonderful blend for all day. It is not to strong and therefore can be enjoyed in any pipe large or small . With a beautiful room note you want be disappointed . A very pleasant smoke even for the most seasoned smoker. Great job well done !

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: BOSEWELLS

Similar Blends: Winsors.

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is an excellent blend - the best of the Boswell aromatics, in my opinion. Very full-flavored, with hints of caramel and cherry, alongside real, quality tobacco taste. Dump the Molto Dolce and get a few ounces of Bear Blend.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Here is a blend that has a bit of a punch for cherry blend. Unlike C&D Crossed Eye Cricket. This Blend dose not do the "English or is it an aromatic?" thing well. It might be the bit of Turkish that is added to give it some ump. I really apprecite the smaple sent along with the other wondeful blends. And I gave it a try but left me flat. Maybe Cherry blend are really not my thing. They sem to remind me of when I first tried a pipe. Maybe my taste have moved on?