4noggins.com

Mild and Flavorful - Benjamin Hartwell's friend, Jim Murdoch, was a real dandy, always dressed in the most fashionable styles of his day. He preferred his pipe
tobaccos mild and with a hint of sweetness to please the women as he walked by. Ben made his blend for Jim and called it Evening Stroll.

BrandBenjamin Hartwell
Taste

Ndfmcfc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ndfmcfc (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was a recommendation from my B&M. I told him I liked his rum and honey and I like my smokes sickly and sweet, so this was his recommendation.

On opening the tin I definitely got some alcohol aroma...rum maybe? Others mentioned that it is highly cased and wet, and I definitely agree, but the tin note is superb. First light was easy with a little crackle, as I expected, but not as much crackle as a Molto Dulce.

At first, this too mild for me and there was nothing much to taste over the heavy casing. However, about 1/3 of my way through the bowl, more tobacco taste came through, but in general, it is definitely a mild, low nicotine smoke. I also began to taste some sweet buttery notes, like butter flavored with some vanilla.

All in all, a satisfying evening smoke that will enthrall friends with an excellent room note. Very good if you like sweet, sickly smok, but not for the die hard Latakia smoker.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Oh American style aromatics. Why must you be to the smoking world what the sirens were to sailors in Greek mythology?

Evening stroll is another typical aromatic. It lures you in with its beautiful tin art, the description on the back has you licking your lips with anticipation. Once you pop the tin on this one there is an amazing smell of toffee and baked goods. Once you light it up you get the typical "all smell and no flavor" result.

If you are going to be around non smokers this stuff is going to win you some friends. The room note is excellent. For me, that's about all this one has going for it. It can bite if puffed to fast. Don't bother trying to dry it out, this is a very heavily cased and coated in PG blend. Smoking a bowl down to the bottom will be damn near impossible because this one creates that lovely "swamp" effect in the bottom of your bowl.

Quite honestly this one doesn't do a whole lot to separate itself from the other pipe tobaccos in this class. Not terrible, but not great either.

Somewhat recommended.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Very Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Warning the room note of this blend will have your wife begging you to smoke it. Try it by your self before letting her smell it. That way if you don't like it, she will not nag you to smoke it. The tin aroma is intoxicating, buttery, vanilla, and maybe some nutmeg. The tobacco comes ridiculously wet, short cut and just dripping with casing. The tobacco tastes very similar to what it smells like (no surprise) and has no real tobacco taste. The blend will bite if not smoked carefully and will clog the heck out of a pipe. Other than its faults listed above if you want your wife tripping on your heels to get a bigger whiff smoke away. Just make sure that your pipes are ready to get soaked.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I had smoked a tin of this one and it has a beautiful tin notes. The scent is excellent, coffee, rum, and vanilla smells so nice at my nose but one thing is a big problem this tobacco is so wet and when i pick it some, it sticks at my fingers. I need about 30 minutes to make it little bit dry, i put them into a paper and let them at open air. The cut is good, not to difficult to pack them but you must careful when you tamp it at your pipe. Even after i aired them for 30 minutes, they still wet and sticks, so tamping using index finger then a tamper when you pack it into your pipe is still the best choice to get a proper pack.

Need a good cherring light for sure, if you pack it directly from the tin without air time, im sure this stuff is difficult to light. The first draw the taste is still good, almost similar with the tin notes, with the mild strength. The room notes is very pleasant, i bet every one sure love the room notes, is very good with scent of rum, vanilla and coffee cream, The problem is after half of the bowl it soaks my pipe very badly. It needs several time to clean up the stem with pipe cleaner and make a cool down. i smoke it very very slowly to make sure that i wont get bite because this stuff is will bite if not smoke very slowly.

The taste is quite good, the flavor casing is almost consistent until finish. Sometimes a grassy or earthy taste appears but the rum's taste always cover it up. For aromatic lover or for social smokes im sure i will recommend this blend, but is not fit to fulfill my daily taste.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob and Basket Pipe

Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm a pretty omniverous smoker who prefers English/Balkan style blends, but among aromatic tobaccos this is a winner. The room note and aroma from the tin makes you think this is an over-cased OTC blend, but the taste is mild and cool - no bite (I smoke slowly anyway), and the room note makes you a tolerable companion with this blend.

As aromatics go, and American-styled in particular, this lives up to it's billing. It's fairly refined, complex enough to hold your interest, and has just enough Virgina taste to even appeal to a Va/Per lover (my close second in tobacco preferences...). This won't change your mind about aromatic blends, but if you've dabbled in them you;ll like it, if you're an aromatic smoke you'll love it.

seb4130ny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
seb4130ny (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of those tobacco's that for someone getting into pipe smoking for the first, and of course, looking for an aromatic, would be a good enough tobacco to experiment with. Upon opening the can you can certainly smell the casing. It has a rather liquidy-like vanilla smell to it. It is extremely moist, which is no surprise given that it is an aromatic. As a suggestion, you should probably let it air dry a bit so as not to clog your pipe, which because of it's mild nature will inevitably lead one to smoke at a rather fast paste, thus air drying might alleviate that a bit. However, it is moist so be prepared for a bit of clogging. As far flavor goes, well, what can I say, it's as mild as they come. You will probably get nothing past the casing, which severely limits this blend for seasoned pipe smokers. In addition to this, if you smoke it fast, be prepared for tongue bite so take your time and try to enjoy it. For new pipe smokers this will certainly meet your aromatic "grandfather" room note that probably got you into pipe smoking to begin with. Although I rarely smoke aromatics, I do have a couple of tins of this and primarily use it as a social smoke given the extreme pleasant smell, which when in a public area with non-smokers always garners positive comments; a certain plus in a state like NY where anti-tobacco measures are on the rise.

mithraic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mithraic (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is definitely some sweet weed, and trying to bring the sweetheart around to my bad habits that's the single most important thing at the moment. It'll make your room smell like some amazing confectionery. However, even as a novice smoker I realize it's not the most exciting blend to taste. The casing is nice, of course, but the underlying blend is fairly weak tea. I've also noticed a kind of bad egg taste if I have to relight, a feature unique to this tin in my limited experience. But it burns into fine white ash right down to the bottom most of the time, and it's pretty hard to get it to bite.

No bite, acceptable taste, wonderful smell- given my priorities, I'm fine with Evening Stroll.

221B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
221B (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, just when I thought I had sworn off aromatics I find this blend. To start, let me say I do not care for the tin aroma much on this one. But, I didn't buy it to smell it....I bought it to relax with after dinner or on a nice fall evening. Truly, this is my new favorite aromatic blend. Mild, no bite, great scent when it burns. I also noticed that it left absolutely no residue in my pipe other than some nice even carbon. The bowl even smells great after the smoke.

Pick this one up!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

Oh, my word, Mr. Hartwell! The tin says you created this stuff so a dandy would attract the ladies when he took his evening strolls. I knew this one would be a problem as soon as I lifted the plastic lid off the tin. Can you believe I could smell the casing before popping the top? Initial nose: Senakot, the chocolate pebble laxative my mother forced down my gullet when I was a child. Warning: wash your hands after you touch this stuff. I think the leaf is coated in Bosco. Hint of sweetness? Are they kidding?! I?ve never had resin on my fingers after loading a pipe until now. I dropped a couple pieces of tobacco on my white socks, and now they?re stained. This stuff has more moisture than a botanic garden. This is nothing more than a glorified Captain Black. A stringy, Cavendish with enough casing to wax your floor, not to mention your tongue. The smoke is reminiscent of the first aromatics I ever tried, so it brought back about three seconds of pleasant memories. As W. C. Fields said: ?those were the good old days, I hope they never come again.? Much thicker than anything Tinder Box ever made, including Norse Gold or Middleton?s Cherry Blend. It smokes hot due to all the sugar in the leaf. It glopped my pipe. This is Altadis/Lane Limited crapola to the 10th power. Here is another tin I?ll be dropping off shortly at Iwan Ries for their customer sampler cabinet. Nod to Gentleman Murdoch the next time you see him and ask him how his ladies are doing, but please don?t put this tobacco in your pipe!

½ of five stars.

I don't know what the topping (rum?) is, but it's certainly alcohol based. Wet in the tin, it needs some dry time to get a decent smoke out of it. Vanilla is the star flavor with hints of dried fruit, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I suppose this is better than some other mixtures in this genre - Captain Black White for example - but it's nothing very special. More of a smoke that goes with a cup of coffee or a cold evening, but could only be a rotation blend for those who lean in this direction.

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)

I wish there was a rate between recommended and highly recommended because this one is just in the middle.Very nice aromatic, one of my favorite "alcohol" tasted blends.The only problem is that it makes the pipe gurgling if you smoke it fast.Won't bite though.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Aromatics do not make up a large part of my normal rotation. I only have enough patience and sweet tooth for about one bowl a month so, when I smoke one, I want it to be premium. This is a quality smoke. The tin smell is a little disconcerting as it is a lot like a putting your face into a strawberry sundae. It is heavily cased so it does burn hot but, with care not to overpuff it really does taste great. Vanilla and carimel dominate with little hints of cherry(in agood way! Mid-bowl I got the distinct ntaste of waffles with maple syrup that carried on to the ashes diminishing into a pleasant toasty vanilla flavor. Not really much to say about tobacco flavor but the smoke is well behaved enough and the flavorings are natural and pleasant enough for myself to call this an enjoyable change of pace.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What can I say about Evening Stroll? This is the first true Aromatic I tried and it's still my favorite. I'm mainly a Burley and Aromatic smoker with the occasional Virginia on the menu. ES smokes cool, no bite, and everyone comments! But though I enjoy the positive feedback I smoke for my own enjoyment. ES delivers on every front for me. A great all day smoke. If you like Aromatics don't miss this one!!

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

An imitation of Topic Town and Autumn Evening, as it happens with most Altadis tobaccos.

It definitely has a very nice aroma when you open the box, and absolutely gives off a very nice scent in the room when you smoke it. I believe though it cannot live up to the smoking performance of the other similar two; plus it leaves a bitterness in the mouth, which in my opinion is caused by the extra or bad Burley it contains. It provokes a lot of coughing.

Ok, I bought it because my friend Erinmoreathens suggested it. Nothing else.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

I picked this up on sale at my local shop having seen it on the shelf for over a year gathering dust. If I had read the can more carefully, I probably would have left it there. The leaf in this blend has been hidden. Hidden behind all sorts of artificial flavors, humectants, and aromatic compounds. I have a soft spot for aromatics, but not so much this one.

Allow me to back up a bit.....I opened the tin to be greeted by short, dark, vanilla scented shreds of tobacco...and an alcoholic smell as well. Not totally off putting, but not what I had hoped for. It packed with reasonable ease,but had a gunky feel that is commonly found on cheaper grade aromatic blends. It lit easily and didn't require much attention once puffing away. It was also fairly flavorful, but something was off. The topping came through really well and lost some of its chemical nature, the aroma was nice and kind of old fashioned in the "grand-pa" way. But as I got to the bottom third of the bowl in my cob I discovered teh flavor of pencil shavings. Yup, pencil shavings. I had tasted this before. I grabbed the can, spun it around to see the back side of the label.....and there it was.....ALTADIS. That explains it. Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty good value blends from Altadis and Fox & Hound is a go-to pouch for me when I want to have a care free easy going smoke, but this had much the same character as some of their lower grade blends like Almondine, Maple, and the like. Maybe I just got it too hot in the bowl, but it was a bit of a let down.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly acceptable blend, and certainly a step up from a lot of "drugstore" and bulk blends that get sold as store brands, but it is only average at best.

Vrbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vrbas (7)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The only reason I bought a sample of this tobacco was because of the catchy name and tin description (I know, what a sellout right). Anyways, upon receiving my 2oz baggy from CupoJoes.com, i opened the bag to the most heavenly aroma of buttery, creamy, tobacco. I really couldn't get enough of the smell, i've actually probably dried it out some just from sniffing it so much. So i was pretty darn excited to start smoking this stuff.

The first bowl of it i smoked was in order to break in a new pipe (so the first bowl a pipe has seen, dunno if that's what i'm supposed to start w/ but oh well). The scent of rich cream poured through my nose w/ a euphoric aroma. It is by far the best smelling tobacco I have on hand (so what, like 8 blends?).

Now, on to the taste. What can i say? I wish it would taste as good as it smelled but all i can say is that there is a very mild taste to it. It's not bad and don't let my 2 stars fool you... i've always just been on the lookout for a tobacco that really "hits" me (not nicotine, but flavor). This is the blend I turn to when smoking in public settings because it has the most amazing room note in my opinion. But as far as taste goes, it's just a bit too mild for me and lacking of flavor. My first bowl smoked all the way to the bottom w/ no re-lights, since then i've been have a little trouble but nothing to complain about as i'm still a fairly new smoker (2 years). Will definitely finish the sample, but might not buy again... not because i hated it, just because i'm a taste whore right now and want to sample as many different tobaccos as possible.

If you're looking for a good, relaxing, sweet and very mild smoke... i would point you in the direction of Evening Stroll. If not for the room note alone, i would keep this on hand.

JC Foote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JC Foote (10)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Thank you Mr. Hartwell! I have smoked tin after tin of this great blend and have been satisfied and impressed with each. The burn is great and the room note is very pleasant. My lovely bride remarks every time that I smoke this blend that it smells like vanilla and cookies baking in the oven. The taste is very pleasant and the smoke is cool. I suggest medium bowled pipes for this smoke. The taste is not to sweet or goopy with a hint of vanilla and maybe honey. My friend Mr. Dean Maglavine and I, enjoy this blend after a nice meal from our favorite Italian restaurant Uncle Chucks. Very smooth and satisfying. This blend is in my rotation at all times!

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Evening Stroll-This Hartwell Aromatic was, at first, going to find a home in the trash. I hated the first bowl and decided a second bowl would be the determining factor. I smoked it and was on the fence,then I wanted another...and another. I had to grow accustomed to the taste. It had way to much burley for me and I hated this blend! Alas,it has grown on me and I will keep a few tins around for a long time.

Taste is a very brandy-esqe vanilla and a hint of...nutmeg?

Smoke is light and airy with subtle smokiness.

No bite and very little goop. Well done.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pretty good for an aromatic. Spicy vanilla is my idea of how this tastes. I might order a small tin for the holidays this fall. Smoke it slow though or it will goop.

Flavortone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flavortone (4)

I picked up a tin of evening stroll and fell in love. i tried smoking some of my other tobaks but kept grabbing the evening stroll. I have found my all day tobak!! its a preety mild smoker, stays lit amazingly well, doesnt get gurgley unless mistreated, and always amazes me. i started buying it in 1lb bags and havnt gone back. my favorite part about it is the excellent aroma that leaves the bowl and enters your nostrills. i am a big aromatic smoker. i like to make those around me comftorble as well and this tobak is great at pleasing my needs and smelling great for those around. when smoking in public ive gotten comments after comments of how good my pipe smells even from non smokers! this is definatley a must for all aromatic lovers and hell non aromatic smokers ought to try it to. you wont be dissapointed!

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Very Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is the first aromatic I've smoked as a beginner. The taste is a mixture of vanilla and spices -- cinnamon and nutmeg, and something else I can't put my finger on.

The nicotine content of this tobacco is very low, making it an ideal evening smoke. It won't keep you awake all night long, like some misnamed tobaccos I could mention. Indeed, if any tobacco deserved the name "Nightcap", it would surely be this flavorful, mild blend.

The room aroma after you smoke it is thick and cloying. Your curtains and clothes will pulse to the throbbing lust of vanilla for days afterwards.

Because it is such a mild blend, it is a good "thinner" to make monstrosities like Dunhill's Nightcap smokeable... although vanilla and 965, I am unhappy to report, do not meld too well together.

This was an OK smoke but the tins are a bit overpriced. Better value in bulk, if you can find it. There's lots of aromatics out there to try. If you like the idea of smoking a Christmas pudding in your pipe, then this is worth a shot.

Magus Noctem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magus Noctem (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Rather than debate the qualities and deficiencies of aromatics versus virginias and English blends, I prefer to simply comment on what's in front of me at the time. As a matter of course, I smoke aromatics about a third of the time, and am particular about which ones I smoke. Evening Stroll makes the cut because, in my opinion, it is what an aromatic is supposed to be: flavorful, pleasant to smell, and relatively fuss-free.

This blend, as per most aromatics, is moist. However, it stays lit better than many non-aromatics, and certainly better than most others of its category. The thick smoke will impart the flavor of this blend on anything it touches, and that, if you like the way it smells, is a good thing.

I best like to smoke this blend around the holidays. It's the kind of pipe tobacco I imagine being ideal for enjoying after a large, home-cooked Thanksgiving or Christmas meal, surrounded by family and memories in the making. I'm always told by my in-laws how great it smells as wisps of smoke waft through the crisp air.

Don't make the mistake of buying a tin and thinking it's going to be the reincarnation of your favorite blend. It's really nothing special when compared to other blends. In fact, as many others have said, Evening Stroll is not much more than a superior version of Captain Black in the white label. Take it for what it is, and you won't be disappointed.

Initially, I intended to give this blend three stars. However, my sentimentality and fondness for the holidays and this blend's special role in enjoying them has persuaded me to squeeze in that barely-deserved fourth star.

==/==

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

My recently arrived tin came dated 3 2004, so I'm probably not getting the full benefit of the casing.

Never-the-less, this is a mild, cool smoking, vanilla aromatic with no bite.

Seems a bit pricey for what it is but a nice, no bite, vanilla aromatic is always welcome for an occasional smoke.

PipeSmokerForLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokerForLife (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this tin up along with quite a few samples from the Altidis table at the 2007 Chicago Pipe show. For me, this blend is just a glorified drug store tobacco.

I can't say anything bad about the burning qualities other than it tended to get a bit goopy in my bowl. But what I liked least about this tobacco blend is the fact that it is to heavily cased and moist. It feels somewhat sticky to the touch.

This is not my kind of tobacco blend. Maybe I'm just not an aromatic fan, but I do like my tobacco drier.

It does have fairly pleasant room note, and I have to admit that it is flavorable. And it does stay lit.

But that's about the most I can say for this blend.

The problem with Altidis aromatic blends is they seem very similar in taste more or less. Of course I could sy the sam thing for many C & D blends as well.

But my point is that Altidis tobacco blends all seem to have that same drug store quality taste. Something aking to Half & Half which also is not my cup of tea.

I suppose that is why I grabbed so many Altidis samples from the table at the show this year.

I'm looking for something from them that is different. Well, I still have a big bagful of unopened blends from them still to smoke.

Perhaps, I'll find what I am looking for in that bag!

Ego Archive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ego Archive (14)

This is truly an example of what I would point to as an aromatic. As I opened the bag up, I received a waft of vanilla/caramel. Right out of the bag this blend was pretty moist, however that is just fine with me, as in my experience I get a better taste when an aromatic is still somewhat moist. The beautiful thing was that even though the tobacco was moist it still burned very easily.

On the downside it did create a fair amount of gurgling in my pipe, but that was fairly easily correctable. Taste wise this blend again really typifies aromatics which is a blessing and curse. I could see smoking this blend as a wandering around all day smoke, but I don?t ever really see myself going out of my way to pick it up as it?s a lot like many other blends I could get (other then the fact that it burns better then many of those). All in all If it was readily available, this would make a good "go to" blend.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Sweet and delicious! This is a very "Old Fashioned" Aromatic. A wonderful, sit down and smoke a dessert kinda blend. I must confess I love Captain Black White Label, it was my first tobacco. But, I am afraid it must now take a second seat to Evening Stroll. Don't get me wrong, this is too sweet for a Va/Per man like me to smoke everyday, but, isn't it great to sit back and light up a blend like this after a wonderful dinner, or on one of the long and lazy country drives? The flavor and topping is yummy, and like the Old Captain, leaves a distinct aroma in my nose after smoking a pipeful. My Partner says this smells like cotton candy being made, which I doubt anyone will complain about! Smokes great in a Kirsten, I highly recommend this fine blend without reservation!!

Briarfire007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarfire007 (10)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Update 11-2-06: To better enjoy the flavor of this blend, don't let it air out too much before you smoke it. I usually like my tobacco to be drier than this comes in the tin, but drying it out makes for a VERY mild flavor. Smoking it right out of the tin provides a more flavorful smoke. However it can gurgle on occasion.

I have been smoking a pipe for about three years now, and I'm starting to prefer VA flakes. But I still enjoy an aromatic blend now and again. I kept reading really nice things about Evening Stroll on this site, so I finally decided to invest in a tin of my own.

The tin aroma is indeed very nice. Smells sweet and creamy. My tin was very moist and needed to dry for a while before I lit it up. This stuff lights easy and stays lit. And it smokes cool. I can't get it to bite. It burns to a nice fine ash. It smells great while you're smoking it.

I only have one complaint about Evening Stroll. The taste. Where is it? I can't taste anything when I smoke this stuff. There are no particular casing or tobacco flavors. The main reason I turn to an aromatic is for a tasty treat. Evening Stroll just lacks too much in the flavor department for me. If I want a good aromatic tobacco I can just get a bag of one of the fine house blends from my local pipe shop. They taste and smell great, plus they're a lot cheaper.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favorite blend of tobacco to date. I am very big on aroma and mild flavor and this one seems to fit the bill in both categories. I have been comparing aromatic pipe tobacco's and put this up against 1Q, BCA, HS3, and a few others and there doesn't really seem to be any contest. This tobacco has no bite in my opionion and really smells great. I bought this tobacco in bulk form and it really burns nicely without being to damp.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Evening Stroll or better yet Evening Desert. This is a fruity vanilla aromatic blend...perhaps a hint of maple mid-bowl. The tin aroma is a little strong in the vanilla and burns much the same but leaves a pleasant room note for my wife...but I don't smoke for my wife's benefit =).

I don't know what I think of this weed. Its hard reviewing sometimes because all the tobacco I have are all quality smokes, including this can. Without any comparisons to what I enjoy smoking and on its own merits for what it is...its good but I think the flavoring is a little too high for me to have it around, even as a goto candy treat. I will polish this can off and leave it at that.

fatherjohnny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherjohnny (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This pipe tobacco is mild, light and sweet in flavor. Opening the cover the tin note is of vanilla with a slight fruit odor; the cut is nice, not sticky and easy to pack in your pipe. The contents are moist but not goopy in my opinion. With first light the smoke is cool and the flavor is full and rich without any tongue bite. I work in a smoke shop and the first three people in the door commented about it smelling "so GOOD" so I would say this blend would also give pleasure to the olfactory senses of even the non-smoker. The tobacco burns uniformly to the end of the pipe and leaves a nice clean white ash at the bottom. This gentle and pleasing smoke is not what I would expect from an aromatic and was pleasantly surprised at it's smoking character and pleasing nature. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this blend a 9 overall. The next time you feel ambitious enough to take a stroll in the park, or are feeling somewhat lazy and just sit on the front porch and chat with passerby's this is the tin to load your faithful pipe from.

Rev. Father Johnny Shepherd O.C.S.T.

ollievon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ollievon (8)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been smoking a pipe for about a year and have really enjoyed taking chances with various aromatic tobaccos. I work part time in a tobacco shop in Albany,NY so I have the great fortune to try just about everything. I've been smoking most of the Peterson's blends (notably Old Killarney and Connisouers Choice) but decided to take a chance with Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll.

This has to be one of the best aromatic tobacco's available. The first smell you get from the can are hints of vanilla and fruit (my wife smells mango, I smell a hint of peach). The cut is nice, not too sticky but moist, and it allows one to pack a nice bowl for a longer smoke. The instant lighting makes anyone in the room ask "wow, that smells great, what is that?". The taste is similiar to the smell and it smokes rather cool, as opposed to the Petersons blends.

If you have a wife like mine who enjoys a good smelling tobacco, this is the one! Totally worth the risk.

Ima Puffin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ima Puffin (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

At first, all I liked about this blend was the tin aroma. It smells simply wonderful, but ships too wet for consumption. Left the lid off for a few days, and things began to improve. By the end of the tin, I was in love. This is possibly the finest aromatic I've ever smoked. I don't, as a rule, smoke aromatics much anymore, being more a VA flake kind of guy, but every once in a while I venture out into Aromatic Land in search of something worth smoking. Usually I'm disappointed, as the flavor disappears halfway through the bowl, but not here. The flavor is full, rich, lasts all the way down, never bites, and the wife likes it. Sounds like a winner to me! Just wish it came in bulk. A nice treat that I'll try to keep on hand when the wallet allows.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I am not a fan of aromatics, but, if forced to smoke them, Evening Stroll would be one. This is indeed a very mild smoke, but I find the casing yucky. Then again, I find most casings yucky. If you smoke a pipe to please those around you, then Evening Stroll is an excellent choice. I smoke what I like to smoke; I have no interest in what people around me think about the smell. If a woman isn't pleased by SG Brown Rope #4, then she can scoot aside holding her nose.

Mild Very Strong Mild Very Pleasant

Well this is an interesting aromatic. I think all the reviewers here have made excellent points regarding this blend. This includes the good, the bad, and the ugly.It has a distinct chocolate note to it. It also smells somewhat of incense-chocolate incense to be precise.I rather enjoyed the tin aroma and the flavor, especially after breakfast with some sweet coffee. It does come very wet, so let it dryout for about a week. the blend is also heavily cased.This is a high grade American aromatic.It is very sweet and smells wonderful.This is, however, not in the class of Cornell&Diehl's Autumn Evening.It fits more into a cross between Captain Black and McClelland's Best of Show.I would consider this a treat once in a while- much like when you want a Little Debbie or Drakes Cakes super sweet, lard laden snack cake.The people around you will enjoy it and I rather enjoyed the intensely sweet flavor. This is summer and I like aromatics in this type of weather. All in all not bad.If you like chocolate even better. 3 of 4 American Aromatic sweet, goopy stars!

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)

This is mosty burley and tastes like a decent burley aromatic blend without a great deal of additives. My sample is not overly moist and I do not find it to be goopy at all-- it burns evenly and to the bottom of the bowl. I do detect a slight floral note that is not present in the tin aroma but seems to come out in the smoke. It is not particularly to my taste but is not offensive and may appeal to others.

I smoke mild aromatics regularly. Evening Stroll is less sweet than most and delivers a genuine tobacco taste, if not a particularly rich one. I prefer a bit more inherent sweetness and maybe a note of Virginia to complement the burley, so this is not a top-tier aromatic for me.

pipe dreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dreams (15)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A winner from BH. Sweetness but not overdoing it. Never smokes hot and never bites. To Me, this is about as good as it gets for aromatics.

DannelB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DannelB (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Lately I've been smoking either Dunhill My Mixture 965 or Butera Dark Stoved. So I've been looking for something a little milder, and was going to get Blue Note. But when I went to my pipe store they were all out of Blue Note and they recommended this tobacco to me, so I gave it a try.

I must say, it was very pleasant. If you don't like aromatics then you won't really like this. But it's an easy smoke, I never had any trouble keeping it lit and it was pleasant the whole way through. At first I thought that the flavoring was going to be overwhelming, but as it went on I found that I really enjoyed it. The room aroma was very nice and I don't think anybody would really be bothered by this being smoked inside. As the name implies, this begs to be smoked while you walk through Philadelphia (or any other nice city).

It's nice to have on hand if you need to occasionally have a break from "heavier" tobaccos.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wow this stuff smells good, both in the tin and in the room note. Very similar to Ashton Old Church, it has an indecipherable blend of aromatic agents, presented in a very moist, sticky state. It can bite, and it can be quite bland, but I would recommend trying it in a wide bulldog before you reach any final conclusions.

I don't know if I would buy another tin of this. Probably not, but I get raves from total strangers on the street, most of them women who say that the smell reminds them of some favorite uncle's/grandfather's/father's leather-lined library. Mixing in a bit of blending Oriental leaf from McClelland or Vegas Smokes adds a nice dimension without much impact on the room note.

JW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JW (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Evening stroll is great at any time of the day. It smells great in the tin, and even better when smoked. Of all the aromatics i have tried i have gotten the most positive complements from non smokers with this blend. I think one would be hardpressed to say that they dislike the room note of this tobacco. The taste is great, although possibly could be a slight let down because i think that the aroma is better than the flavor. The first time i smoked Evening Stroll the bottom of the bowl was slightly sour, however it has never happened to me since then. I also haven't smoked it in that pipe since, so it may not have been the tobacco. The overriding flavor and aroma is vanilla, but it is not overwhelmingly sweet, which is perfect. Good vanilla is sometimes ruined for me by being too sweet, but that is not the case with Evening Stroll. Overall this is very nice and pleasant aromatic, and i would definately recommend it.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I thought that Evening Stroll was a very good smoke. It has a nice roomnote as well as taste. When the tin is cracked open, you can smell the vanilla right from the start. Its a good smoke to have in the fall. Crack open a tin of this on a cool Autumn Nite. Its a perfect nightcap to any evening and I highly recommend it. I will have this in my stock at all times....MZMN

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Though I don?t smoke aromatics very often any more, this is the kind of mixture I turn to when I do. It is light and sweet in flavor, and seems absolutely incapable of biting. A lovely vanilla flavor. As with most McClellands, and aromatics in general, this is rather damp coming out of the tin and produces a fair amount of moisture while smoking. It seems very similar to some of the ?Premium Aromatic? line that McClelland has come out with over the past couple of years, particularly Captain Cool or Cool Mac.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As someone who rarely smokes aromatics these days, I am always sure to keep a tin of this on hand. This has to be the best aromatic IMO. The casing smells overwhelming in the tin but blends beautifully with the tobac.It has a pleasant room note that just about everybody likes. As you smoke through the bowl, the casing settles down and the leaf comes through wonderfully. For those of you who are a little daring you may even want to add a pinch of McClelland's blending latakia. I found that it mixes well.This blend stands on its own though and is usually what I recommend beginners to start with. Lastly, this blend smokes cool for an aromatic. you really have to puff hard to get it to burn your tongue.

Evil Catfish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Evil Catfish (10)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I received a tin of this to smoke at the St. Louis show last year and this is perhaps one of the better tinned american aromatics I have had the chance to try. In the can, there is an obvious vanilla smell with a nice, almost toasty background scent. The taste is almost identical to the smell in the can and the room aroma is similar as well. If you like aromatics then you owe it to yourself to try this at least once.