Mild and Flavorful - Benjamin Hartwell's friend, Jim Murdoch, was a real dandy, always dressed in the most fashionable styles of his day. He preferred his pipe tobaccos mild and with a hint of sweetness to please the women as he walked by. Ben made his blend for Jim and called it Evening Stroll.

BrandBenjamin Hartwell

2.9
musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Oh American style aromatics. Why must you be to the smoking world what the sirens were to sailors in Greek mythology?

Evening stroll is another typical aromatic. It lures you in with its beautiful tin art, the description on the back has you licking your lips with anticipation. Once you pop the tin on this one there is an amazing smell of toffee and baked goods. Once you light it up you get the typical "all smell and no flavor" result.

If you are going to be around non smokers this stuff is going to win you some friends. The room note is excellent. For me, that's about all this one has going for it. It can bite if puffed to fast. Don't bother trying to dry it out, this is a very heavily cased and coated in PG blend. Smoking a bowl down to the bottom will be damn near impossible because this one creates that lovely "swamp" effect in the bottom of your bowl.

Quite honestly this one doesn't do a whole lot to separate itself from the other pipe tobaccos in this class. Not terrible, but not great either.

Somewhat recommended.

Wet in the tin, it needs some dry time. Vanilla is the star flavor with hints of dried fruit, nutmeg, and cinnamon and rum. The Virginia is grassy with some citrus, and is sublimated a bit. Won't bite or get harsh. Has little nicotine. Burns clean, cool and a little slow with a mostly consistent flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights, especially if not dried a little. Has a decent after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke, though it does lack some depth. Two and a half stars.

Ndfmcfc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ndfmcfc (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This was a recommendation from my B&M. I told him I liked his rum and honey and I like my smokes sickly and sweet, so this was his recommendation.

On opening the tin I definitely got some alcohol aroma...rum maybe? Others mentioned that it is highly cased and wet, and I definitely agree, but the tin note is superb. First light was easy with a little crackle, as I expected, but not as much crackle as a Molto Dulce.

At first, this too mild for me and there was nothing much to taste over the heavy casing. However, about 1/3 of my way through the bowl, more tobacco taste came through, but in general, it is definitely a mild, low nicotine smoke. I also began to taste some sweet buttery notes, like butter flavored with some vanilla.

All in all, a satisfying evening smoke that will enthrall friends with an excellent room note. Very good if you like sweet, sickly smok, but not for the die hard Latakia smoker.

JustDanD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustDanD (9)

Evening Stroll. The absolute go-to aromatic blend when you want to please the wife (or ANYONE around you). Burns without much attention, plenty of smoke, flavorful and the room note is astounding. Moisture level seems perfect out of the tin and I don't get the gurgling until near the bottom of the bowl. I've never gotten tongue bite, either. I tend to keep away from this blend, most of the time, because I am afraid it would be the only thing she-who-is-terrific would let me smoke. Every time I come back to this, I am amazed at how good it is. I'll smoke this before church on Sunday or as a nightcap when the wife joins me in front of the TV.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

There's more than just Virginia in my tin... A Black Cavendish that has been soaked in some kind of alcohol (tastes like cognac). It really perked up this one nicely. The added flavoring is not very strong but is noticeable the most at first light and then settles by mid bowl. I took it on down to the bottom with pure pleasure!

Pipestud

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I had smoked a tin of this one and it has a beautiful tin notes. The scent is excellent, coffee, rum, and vanilla smells so nice at my nose but one thing is a big problem this tobacco is so wet and when i pick it some, it sticks at my fingers. I need about 30 minutes to make it little bit dry, i put them into a paper and let them at open air. The cut is good, not to difficult to pack them but you must careful when you tamp it at your pipe. Even after i aired them for 30 minutes, they still wet and sticks, so tamping using index finger then a tamper when you pack it into your pipe is still the best choice to get a proper pack.

Need a good cherring light for sure, if you pack it directly from the tin without air time, im sure this stuff is difficult to light. The first draw the taste is still good, almost similar with the tin notes, with the mild strength. The room notes is very pleasant, i bet every one sure love the room notes, is very good with scent of rum, vanilla and coffee cream, The problem is after half of the bowl it soaks my pipe very badly. It needs several time to clean up the stem with pipe cleaner and make a cool down. i smoke it very very slowly to make sure that i wont get bite because this stuff is will bite if not smoke very slowly.

The taste is quite good, the flavor casing is almost consistent until finish. Sometimes a grassy or earthy taste appears but the rum's taste always cover it up. For aromatic lover or for social smokes im sure i will recommend this blend, but is not fit to fulfill my daily taste.

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob and Basket Pipe

Canicus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Canicus (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I'm a pretty omniverous smoker who prefers English/Balkan style blends, but among aromatic tobaccos this is a winner. The room note and aroma from the tin makes you think this is an over-cased OTC blend, but the taste is mild and cool - no bite (I smoke slowly anyway), and the room note makes you a tolerable companion with this blend.

As aromatics go, and American-styled in particular, this lives up to it's billing. It's fairly refined, complex enough to hold your interest, and has just enough Virgina taste to even appeal to a Va/Per lover (my close second in tobacco preferences...). This won't change your mind about aromatic blends, but if you've dabbled in them you;ll like it, if you're an aromatic smoke you'll love it.

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Benjamin Hartwell - Evening Stroll.

Note: from bulk.

Like Pipestud's review, my pouch contains not only Virginia, but about 25% black Cavendish, too. It has an aromatic aroma, sweet and sharp, and is of a good hydration.

Evening Stroll burns well, cool and efficiently, from first light. I find the aromatic additions dominate the flavour: alcohol, a sticky-sweet flavour (caramel, maybe), and vanilla. The Virginia has a milder taste, not being too sharp, or fresh. I get no tongue bite.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant.

Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll: a pleasant enough blend, but it wouldn't make it as a go-to aromatic, for me. Two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For those who know me you know that Virginia tobaccos and I are not the best of friends,this tobacco happens to be the exception. This tobacco was given to me by a friend who knew about my aversion to Virginia tobacco,he removed any thing from the tin to let me know what it was. From first light I thought this is is going to bad but after a few puffs the what I swear was that Virginia turned into something divine! The smoke billowed around my head and the aroma was that of,well lets say it reminded me of a funnel cake with a REAL whipped cream spiced and flavored with vanilla and the smells of summer at grandma's. Not once did I have any bite nor did it burn hot.I don't know how long the tin has been opened and if the tobacco was dried out or not but this tin had some pretty dry tobacco. After smoking this and dying to know what it was my friend produced a brand new tin and needless to say I was mortified and surprised at the same time,mortified that I smoked a Virginia tobacco and surprised that I did indeed like it! The tin that I did buy was rather moist and did need to dry out because the first bowl I smoked from it left me with a gurgling pipe and a few nasty wet surprises in the bottom of my pipe. Over all I do enjoy this tobacco and buy it on a semi regular basis and anyone who like a very pleasant aromatic this is for you. If you don't enjoy aromatics don't even bother.

Pipe Used: jobey estate

Age When Smoked: several months old and a newly opened tin

Purchased From: gifted and my local tobacconist

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I Just received an email from my contact at Sutliff (formerly Altadis) and she said they do not offer a bulk Evening Stroll so i am not sure who is supplying Cup O Joe's but it is not the Bulk Evening Stroll...

This is bizarre, I could have sworn I reviewed Evening Stroll ten years ago when the BH series first came out... anywhoo this was IMO the best of the BH series and one of the finest aromatics I have ever smoked. The strength is much too low for me to not cut with 5 Brothers or another strong Burley but when mixed it creates the finest smelling aromatic. ES is a vanilla / alcohol topping a traditional Cavendish mixture that is extremely mild and does not contain any nicotine whatsoever. Marketed by Altadis but I do belive these were all manufactured by McClelland, at least the other two of the series were (based on them having the McClelland Vinegar nose that I love). A real gem here with beautiful tin art and a delightful short story about Benjamin Hartwell in the Victorian time period. The room note, quality and presentation all add up to my favorite aromatic, and it has been since 2004 or so, just remember that it does not have any strength or tobacco taste so make sure you cut it with a plain Burley or strong Virginia Flake unless you are a new pipe smoker. Great blend for someone new to smoking a pipe and wants something that smells like what you would expect a pipe tobacco to smell like.

Similar Blends: Similar but better than CB Royal....

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)

I reviewed this back in 2010. It was okay for an aromatic smelled okay tasted okay.You should buy this blend just to try it at least once. The can artwork was kind of neat it had me wondering about the possibilities of the blend. Vanilla.

Pipe Used: briar meershaum

Purchased From: Just for Him gift shop

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff ultra light.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)

I picked this up on sale at my local shop having seen it on the shelf for over a year gathering dust. If I had read the can more carefully, I probably would have left it there. The leaf in this blend has been hidden. Hidden behind all sorts of artificial flavors, humectants, and aromatic compounds. I have a soft spot for aromatics, but not so much this one.

Allow me to back up a bit.....I opened the tin to be greeted by short, dark, vanilla scented shreds of tobacco...and an alcoholic smell as well. Not totally off putting, but not what I had hoped for. It packed with reasonable ease,but had a gunky feel that is commonly found on cheaper grade aromatic blends. It lit easily and didn't require much attention once puffing away. It was also fairly flavorful, but something was off. The topping came through really well and lost some of its chemical nature, the aroma was nice and kind of old fashioned in the "grand-pa" way. But as I got to the bottom third of the bowl in my cob I discovered teh flavor of pencil shavings. Yup, pencil shavings. I had tasted this before. I grabbed the can, spun it around to see the back side of the label.....and there it was.....ALTADIS. That explains it. Don't get me wrong, there are some pretty good value blends from Altadis and Fox & Hound is a go-to pouch for me when I want to have a care free easy going smoke, but this had much the same character as some of their lower grade blends like Almondine, Maple, and the like. Maybe I just got it too hot in the bowl, but it was a bit of a let down.

Don't get me wrong, this is a perfectly acceptable blend, and certainly a step up from a lot of "drugstore" and bulk blends that get sold as store brands, but it is only average at best.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Pretty good for an aromatic. Spicy vanilla is my idea of how this tastes. I might order a small tin for the holidays this fall. Smoke it slow though or it will goop.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I thought that Evening Stroll was a very good smoke. It has a nice roomnote as well as taste. When the tin is cracked open, you can smell the vanilla right from the start. Its a good smoke to have in the fall. Crack open a tin of this on a cool Autumn Nite. Its a perfect nightcap to any evening and I highly recommend it. I will have this in my stock at all times....MZMN

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As someone who rarely smokes aromatics these days, I am always sure to keep a tin of this on hand. This has to be the best aromatic IMO. The casing smells overwhelming in the tin but blends beautifully with the tobac.It has a pleasant room note that just about everybody likes. As you smoke through the bowl, the casing settles down and the leaf comes through wonderfully. For those of you who are a little daring you may even want to add a pinch of McClelland's blending latakia. I found that it mixes well.This blend stands on its own though and is usually what I recommend beginners to start with. Lastly, this blend smokes cool for an aromatic. you really have to puff hard to get it to burn your tongue.