Oriental and cigar leaf dominate this flavorful and hearty blend that offers just enough sweetness to avoid any bitterness. Could become your all day smoke.

BrandJohn Patton
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Virginia, Oriental/Turkish
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Based on a 1 oz sample. Chestnut brown of mostly ribbon with some bigger chunks. Tin nose of cigar up front and some oriental well to the rear. Loads and lights easily.

Hard one to rate. Quite a bit too much cigar leaf for my personal taste. It overwhelms the rest of the components, although the Turkish comes out a bit. The room note was pure cigar and the smoke from the pipe bowl was pure cigar. It was not an overly strong flavor or scent, but it was dominant. Quite a bit of nicotine in this one as well. Didn't really taste the burley, as the cigar flavor ruled the roost. I guess cigar leaf is one condiment that takes away my sense of taste for other components. I did enjoy a very old tin of Sobranie #10, so perhaps with some aging, this one might calm down a bit. Once again, YMMV may play a huge role here, as I'm talking about a single ounce of this blend. Who knows - perhaps it didn't get mixed very well in my batch. For my personal taste, 2 stars. But if you enjoy a pretty prominent cigar flavor in your blends, do not pass this one by. It's at least a 3 star blend, speaking objectively. Worth a shot if you like this sort of thing.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Normally, I shy away from cigar pipe tobacco blends if there much of it in there. When I want a cigar, I smoke a cigar. But this is an exception. The cigar leaf is a nice component that aids the earthy, toasted burley flavor without overwhelming it. There's a light bitterness and a slight sour twang, but it works with the light oriental, and hay, grassy Virginia taste. Not much Virginia sweetness here, but you can get that in a million other places if you choose. This mixture burns evenly, well and consistently, though you may want to hydrate it just a mite. This lives up to its intentions, and is worth the money.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I am basing this review on 4 oz I have smoked. I have since bought a pound of it, so clearly I liked it more than an "oh that was interesting" way.

For me the flavor is oriental forward. The spicy, savory flavor is backed up by a robust burley/cigar leaf combo that provides a slightly dark bitter/sour foundation. The Virginia gave it a sweet note every now and then. The combination is complex and very tasty.

If you like orientals and don't mind cigar leaf, give this one a try.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Mild Very Mild Full Tolerable

A very different and very good blend. I was initially put off by the pouch aroma because while it smells very nice (chocolate), it is very similar to Prince Albert, a blend which I do not care for. Fortunately, this pouch aroma is naturally arrived upon and there is no evidence of added flavorings when smoked. The mixture is dry and ready to smoke right off the truck. The Turkish tobacco provides the basis of the smoke with the burley, Va, and cigar leaf coming and going at various times throughout the bowl. This flavor is full and fairly bitter throughout the bowl. I actually found it a little too bitter at first, but jaring for 6 months tempered that to a pleasand level. This bitterness goes especially well with a sweet cup of coffee. While relights are a pleasant affair, contrary to the description on the 4 noggings web site, I did not care for this when dgt'd. Those seeking a full, masculine, natural smoke without a lot of nicotine should look no further. It reminds me a bit of the departed Dunhill Durbar.

Update 11/13/2013: Even better with some additional age on it, 9-12 months and the bitterness is perfectly tempered by the sweetness. Very good cold weather smoke when you don't want latakia.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently purchased 4 ounces of JP's Oriental Dusk from 4noggins. Boy this stuff really blew me away.

I don't know if there is another blend out there quite like this in flavor. It has a sweet/sour/semi-bitter taste that is so close together that it's almost one flavor, but not quite. It's more like these primary flavors are on the verge of eclipsing one another. The overall result is both harmonious and a more opulent overall flavor and depth. Once truly lit and stoked up a bit, what comes forth is a lush spiciness that's subtle yet rich and somewhat potent both in aroma and on the palate.

Like with Storm Front, the cigar leaf is wonderfully represented. It plays host, laying a foundation for an array of exotic woodsy cedar & mesquite like flavors. Perhaps the most interesting flavor is this barnyard-like aroma that's intertwined with a rich melted dark chocolate tone. This aroma also permeates the unsmoked pouch aroma. I have made a lot of desserts from scratch in my time and it reminds me of melted Valrhona 66% cacao chocolate, or a high quality semi sweet Guittard. This flavor provides a base for other accent flavors that taste like a myriad of slightly different dark black pepper-like spice tones all crammed tightly together. I really couldn't dissect these spice flavors very easily, but I was more than satisfied accepting the experience for what it was and leaving it at that. Sometimes aspects of really great smokes don't need words to describe them, they're just that, Really Great. Moreover, this stuff is just plain fantastic. It's complex, powerful, densely-layered, mouthwatering, & yeah, difficult to put in words, but it's really something to behold.

How is it that this blend was unavailable (except for special order) up until recent?

Anyway, Rich at 4 noggins did a superb job blending this John Patton mixture. I only wish I could taste this blended by John himself. I only say that because this stuff really knocked my socks off. However since the latter is not possible, I'll gladly settle for another artist's (Rich's) rendition.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

The description on this says that the flavors are doninated by the Oriental (which to me tastes like Turkish) and cigar leaf. I don't find this to be the case. For me the various flavors come and go, first one to the front, then another. It might be that when one component leaf is buring you get that one's flavors, but whatever the reason the results are absolutley stellar. I'm a fan of Patton's blends (so long as they have very little or no Latakia, as I can't tolerate it any longer). I've been looking for the ideal combination of VA's, Perique, Turkish and cigar leaf (to me the ideal components) and even though this one lacks the Perique...it's darn near perfect. It arrives dry (thank you) and is easily packed and lit. Then as you smoke down the bowl it's very nicely managed and ends up as a clean grey powdery ash. I'm a sipper, and that smoking style works perfectly here. The flavors are bold and pronounced, making it anything but a light smoking experience...just what I look for. And the flavors are true to their component tobaccos as I can't detect any kind of flavoring. I will say, however, that just like with another favorite, Storm Front, I get a kind of apricot aroma from the wide mouthed jar when I open it...very slight, but there for sure. Well, since ALL tobaccos are cased at one point or another in their journey from field to pouch, I'm thinking that what I'm getting is the casing used on either the VA or Burley. Whatever it is, it's very nice...and I certainly can't argue with the end product. As I've gotten used to it, this has steadily risen to being in my top five blends. It appears that 4-N's is now carrying it as a regular item, which should be very good news to anyone wanting to try something solid, and a true undiscovered gem. My highest possible recommendation.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The first bowls from the sample I had I mostly got the cigar leaf overpowering everything, the remaining saw the Orientals peeking through in an interesting way and the three stars are based on the latter. Not for those who shy away from the taste of cigars!

tramroad28 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tramroad28 (26)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Wanted to like this one...but the blender's penchant for cigar leaf is a mite too heavy-handed for me. Deserves a shot...'bout all tho.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

From the markets of Istanbul to the streets of Dubai, the orient gives rise to certain unique, not always pleasant, aromas. East of Suez, generally, the tobacco of choice is Marlboro, but occasionally you get some Egyptian Cleopatras or shisha scents.

To the flavours of the orient I would add JP's Oriental Dusk. Having lived in this part of the world for almost 20 years I can attest to having smelled something very like Oriental Dusk in places as far apart as Jeddah and Jerusalem. Somehow, they all came together in Ohio. This blend achieves an amazing combination of Turkish (?), plus indefinable ingredients. I think I tasted burley, Virginia and cigar leaf -- perhaps none of them. Like the orient itself, Oriental Dusk mystifies and enthralls, occasionally, again like the orient, sharp and flagrant while at other times quiet and well behaved.

I have tamed this particular blend in several pipes, and found it the most consistent of JP's blends. Sometimes the Turkish is a little stronger and comes to the fore; at others, the mystery components are more powerful. But it inevitably settles down to a kind of average of eastern variety.

This is not the oriental of the Balkans; this is altogether from somewhere farther south and east, and less well-trod. Best smoked sitting on a carpet in a tent while reading Seven Pillars of Wisdom or watching Lawrence of Arabia, drinking Turkish coffee.

DLT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DLT (8)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another winner here, proving that the sum total of the quality of a tobacco is far greater than its individual components.

The thing I really like about this one is the percentage of Oriental leaf, which is absolutely perfect. Many blenders tend to get carried away by this component, much to their peril. In this case, Mr. Patton has got it near-perfect.

The only downside, for me at least, is the strength. I smoke extremely strong flakes and ropes generally, and may pump this one up a bit with a little more Dr. Nicotine..

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (10)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

This was different. It had a bit of everything and not too much of anything. Initially tasted the cigar leaf (it seems to be the first tobacco I always taste) then went to an earthy (Burley) slightly sweet taste (the virgina coming into play) but there was this slight salty taste as well. I assume this came from the orientals John has added but it was all very good and it all worked together beautifully. This tobacco burnt well but did not have any bite at all and smoked to a fine ash to the bottom. Some tobaccos nearing the end of the bowl taste acidic but this was nice to the end. When I did inhale by accident and exhaled through the nose the orientals left a tingling sensation and it was very pleasant. I was going to DGT this bowl for the next day but it was such a great smoke I finished the bowl, maybe next time :)

John Q Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
John Q (6)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A very interesting blend. Tasty, flavorful, with good taste of Oriental leaf in the back. A nice mix of baccy's mixed and blended together to create a hint of sweetness.