Named for "The most beautiful city in Central Asia", this spicy, full flavored blend is made from Izmir Turkish and Latakia. Smooth with nary a strand of Virginia, Tashkent is a Turkish blend married with Latakia to produce a smooth, rich flavor with a hint of spiciness.

BrandPeretti
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Latakia
Strength
Taste

Standard looking for an English, but cut on the chunky side. Typical musty smell in the 8 oz paintcan. I smoked about 2 oz so far. Loads and lights easily and stays lit quite admirably.

An oriental with latakia and no Virginia or other base tobacco seems counter-intuitive. But indeed I did not taste any Virginia, at least not the kind with which I'm familiar. There may be some Indian Mysore-type Virginia in this blend but I'll go with what the blender states. The flavor of this one shows little in the way of Virginia-type sweetness but there is some oriental perfume-like wisps of sugar among the spice. The orientals are front and center, showing a piquant sour note that was quite prevalent along with a sidecar of spiciness. The latakia was present but fell to the rear as the bowl progressed. Still it lent its spicy, smoky character throughout the smoke.

I was curious to experiment with this one and indeed I preferred it when I mixed it 3:1 with McClellands Rich Virginia Ribbon. The latters sweet spiciness merged quite nicely with the sour tang of Tashkent and created something more in my wheelhouse. However, smoked straight up, this is an interesting and unique blend that I will smoke on occasion. Try it if you're bored with typical Balkans - it'll definitely show you something new.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Umpteen Stars Rating; This is one of the finest blends you'll ever sink your teeth into!

Orientals galore are matched with latakia; no virginia to be found though with the mild and rich orientals, the VA's aren't missed at all.

I have no tobacco to compare this to. The oriental twinge here seems to remind me of Balkan Sobranie White yet there is no Virginia.

The smoke is cool, dry and minimally sweet with a roundness that you'd expect from a blend containing virginia. Pick up a big pipe and this is the one blend you'll find yourself attempting to light the dregs - it's that good.

Overall and oriental/latakia blend with plenty of "oomph" but could be smoked all day. Whomever came up with this one knew what they were doing. Smoked in large pipes, this is sublime.

They say there’s no Virginia here, but I believe there’s some tobacco akin to it in here. I don’t taste any Virginia, but there’s an ingredient that's creating a feel in that vein without having the basic, well known characteristics of Virginia. I don’t detect a topping. I detect a touch of unsweetened black cavendish. The strength of the Izmir Turkish is not as potent as it is in some other blends, which is no complaint. It’s perfectly used here and plays well with the rich spicy, tangy Orientals, which is the star component. There are very mild floral and sour hints that provide a little complexity. The latakia provides smokey, woodsy bass notes, ably complimenting the mixture without taking over. I rate it as medium in strength and taste mainly because of the spice content. Burns well, cool and tasty from start to finish with consistent flavor. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but you may find you’ll want it more than once a day.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a really unique blend...no Virginia, plenty of Orientals plus Latakia. Occasionally, some floral notes appear with the mildly spicy and smoky characteristics. Easy burning but not bitey. Has both "high" notes and depth of flavor.

This blend has a good amount of Izmir, but I like Tashkent far better than the Cornell & Diehl blends that also utilize Izmir. It is a little hard to describe, and because of its uniqueness and its emphasis on Oriental leaves, it is difficult to compare to other latakia mixtures.

This is my first experience with Peretti tobacco. I tried a sample at the Chicago show and just had to order some more along with a few other tobaccos from this blending house. Try some of this interesting blend for yourself!

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A wonderful mixture for the true Balkan fan. This actually has a sweet-spiciness to it. I love ALL TURKISH blends and this one was really good.It is far superior to Oriental #40 which I think is already an outstanding blend. Tashkent smooths out the rough edges of their #40 creating a very full and contemplative smoke. Where #40 is a full frontal Oriental assault on the palate, Tashkent just draws a line in the sand and lets you know that it is there to be reckoned with. Latakia is in the forefront and ever present throughout the smoke. Very nutty and meaty. It also has a Peretti signature "English" taste to it. I think they add a certain brown cavendish to their blends. It might remind you of a harmonius marraige of Dunhill's two popular blends- DURBAR & My Mixture 965. Sweeter than most Balkans but unmistakably ORIENTAL in essence. A full 4 stars for this one.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

When I think of a Turkish blend, this is it. There is a sensation of dryness and the smell of leather. It is really delicious...IF you like the taste of Turkish tobacco with a base of Latakia. Personally, I this blend is wonderful.

Pipe Used: Ashton LX Brindle

Age When Smoked: 52

Purchased From: Peretti

Similar Blends: Some old blends that I haven't smoked in 20+ years...but it does remind me of some of those old Turkish blends..

It isn't often that one finds and English blend without any Virginia's. (The TR contents line says that there is some at the time of this writing, but Peretti's says no). Lacking a Virginia component, the blending needs be done with skill and Tashkent is well done. Smokey, somewhat sour with a touch of sweetness is how I would describe Tashkent. The tobacco arrives with a moisture content that is ready to smoke. It's cut a little rough and I prefer to rub it out just a bit. I enjoy Tashkent most in a wider bowl.

It's nice to see one of America's few true pipe shops creating such interesting blends. It would be nice to be able to order on line rather than calling the order in. Recommended.

Trumpetboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trumpetboy (13)

What a unique totally satifying blend this is! A little bit different in character and most definitely less sweet than many "medium" English blends, most probably due to the fact there's no Virginia in this one, but it has a really beautiful, almost salty "tang" to it which I'm really enjoying. A great combination of Turkish and Latakia. Slight family resemblance to Omega, but less sweet and perhaps more Balkan- great with some strong black tea! Love it!

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)

UPDATE : 01/29/10

The thing that I like best about tobacco shop blends is you can have them tweaked just to your liking. I called the Peretti folks, visited a bit and one week later I had a 1# can of Tashkent "made my way" sitting safely in my smoke locker. Sure, it's not exactly the same but boy it hits the sweet spot for me. Four stars. Thank you Peretti. I miss the old days of pipeshops on many street corners.

Ok, so beat me for not giving this 4 stars. I'm betting it is 4 stars but I haven't found the correct pipe to puff this in as of yet. It is very good, it is a smooth fullfilling smoke, it leaves a great after taste and my angel of of wife tells me she likes the "leathery" room note. So what is my problem anyway? Perhaps I just like Orential #40 a bit more, who knows? If this type of tobacco blend is something you lean towards you will want to order a pound.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

Another gorgeous English blend from Peretti. If you are a fan of English blends then you really owe it to yourself to try this one. Like all of the Peretti blends I have smoked this is the perfect moisture level right from the package and high quality leaf indeed. Where do they find these perfect tobaccos to blend with in this day and age? Seems like they must have found a way to travel back in time. My personal tastes long for a little more sweetness (as in Royal Blend) or roundness (as in Omega), but this is an excellent and flavorful blend and just might be the perfect match for you as it is for my son Christopher. 3.5 stars.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)

Well if anything is going to pull me away from Cambridge Flake, it's Tashkent. No Virginia, seems to be mostly Oriental but with I'm guessing about a third Latakia.

This is tangy and sour and it's cheaper than Cambridge Flake, it burns cool and smokes great to the heel. Just enough Latakia to keep it from being one dimensional, and it's probably better than Cambridge Flake in this respect.

This and Omega make a killer one-two punch. What'll it be tonight, smoky Cyprian campfire or tangy Orientals? Omega's more meaty, Tashkent really pleases your taste buds with it's sour tang. Don't worry about picking one, they're both worth stocking up on.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

"Now for something totally different". For what it is, Tashkent is a very good exotic mix and a nice substitute in the Oriental slot of a rotation. I like an occasional bowl of this in the evening to soothe the palate before calling it a day. As the bowl's flavors intensify, there is no sign of sweet, nothing nutty, nothing layered in complexity, just an lingering smokiness and a gentle spice. Tashkent is ultra smooth, so if that's your thing, then this is for you. Mild, two dimensional and unique are words that I would use to describe it. I find it another fine Peretti blend to have in my current rotation but unfortunately I think it lacks the intangibles to consider a staple smoke. I'll probably branch out to other Peretti offerings when my supply runs out. Can't go wrong with Peretti, though. (Royal Blend is to die for).

P.S. It refuses to bite your tongue, no matter how feverishly you puff.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

Finally got around to ordering some Peretti blends and have been test driving them this week. Several reviews will follow this one in the next couple of days.

I was so excited to open my can and see a beautiful blend that smells so balanced with Latakia and Turkish richness. I have never tried a blend of just these components and it is the reason for my order. Plain old curiosity to experience what I had not. And boy howdy! What a flavor profile this blend has!

The tobacco is a fairly even mix of Latakia and Turkish to the eye. Easy packing. Two false lights. Off to the races with a full Latakia smokiness and the immediate hit of astringency from the Turkish. That slight numbing sensation on the tongue. Only slightly. Just lets you know without a doubt that there is turkish here and high quality at that. The latakia is of the highest quality and melds with the Turkish to produce a creamy flavor with caramel, slightly burnt marshmallow, some coffee hints, and the spiciness of desert culture spices. Smokey in a good and reasonable way. Not a Latakia bomb by definition, but you won't worry about having enough.

The smoke is cool and rich. No sign of sweetness at all, even with the before mentioned flavors. They are all conveyed in such a way as to remain sec or brut in presentation. Just amazing to get those flavors in a satisfying way without a hint of sweetness. Just awesome.

Smokes clean and dry to the bottom of the bowl. If you keep an eye on your cadence this will not show bitterness in any way. Pushed, you will get a little. No bite at all. The less experienced may tend to confuse the astringency effect on the tongue as the beginnings of bite, but it is not.

I'm very pleased overall with this blend. I would recommend anyone at least try it. English smokers should give it a run particularly if they are partial to the drier tasting blends.

Not something that will make my regular lineup, but I will always keep a supply for the occasional three or four bowls. Just for that reason, I can give only 3 stars. Although I totally agree with the 4 star reviewers, it just didn't hit that mark for me. Missed by just a tad.

Cheers!

jonapurcell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonapurcell (4)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Tolerable

The 2nd best tobacco available on the planet---Omega is #1.

qmechanics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
qmechanics (7)

Fairly experienced in the pleasures of pipe and cigar smoking, I found Peretti's to be a one of a kind treasure. Entering the door a wonderful aroma pleasantly greats you tickling the senses, one's eyes dart back and forth as the mind searches back in blissful anticipation of what is to come. Shelves filled with a great selection of tobaccos and pipes are placed on either side as an old fashioned balance sits at the shop's end to weight out your pipe tobacco pleasure. This is simply classic and makes me long for shops like this closer to home. I requested three of their English blends (one ounce each for starters).

This tobacco was one of those blends and the best of the three (the other British and Royal). Latakia is ever present, however I have never tasted an English(or perhaps more properly Oriental) blend quite like this one. It is a bit sweat (though no Virginian tobaccos are present),a note of burley, and has a consistent complex flavor (interplay of orientals and latakia with no casing detected) throughout the bowl. It is a must try especially for consistent great taste. Seriously no matter what I eat, drink etc. the flavor appears to always be there and does not disappear or change to any great degree;A rare commodity with many other blends....

Flugplatz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flugplatz (4)

I love Latakia! I love this type of blend.

If you are a big fan of the Latakia leaf, then you definitely have to try this. I however, have some sort of brand loyalty to McC's and would rather buy their stuff in the tin after it's been aged a few years. If I wanted to make changes to McC's stuff, then I would call Peretti's. I haven't gotten to that point yet. I would compare this to McC's Bombay Court or Bombay Extra.

Bag aroma is great, no "ketchup" smell as some would call it. Packs well, lights fantastic. Not too wet, maybe a bit on the dry side. Doesn't bite back. Good flavor all the way down with a slight turn about halfway through the bowl. But you have to be gentle with it to notice it. I think it's when the moisture catches up to the flame in the bottom that causes this change. Very nice. But as with all good delicate, un-cased pipe weed, it acts accordingly. Very much recommended.

ProfessorShak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorShak (7)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Im surprised that there aren't that many smokers who know about this blend, but MAN is this a must try if you like Latakia. This is is a Latakia/Oriental without any Virginias, which is exactly why this blend stand out for me. That and my family is from Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It is an exotic blend nothing too fancy, but a must try for those who love the genre.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is an excellent balkan/oriental blend and I'll leave the details to my more experienced brother smokers below.

I do find the blend to be very subtle and smooth. The latakia is present but not front and center. There are several Peretti English/balkans I enjoy more but this is a wonderful variation on those type of blends. As noted, very subtle and smooth.

I especially like blends like this in the morning with my coffee.

About a year or so ago fellow reviewer OSR gifted me a couple of bowls of Tashkent. After smoking it I tried to steal the rest - but, being a decade younger than me, he ran faster and got away.

I enjoyed the taste of this Peretti offering, which reminded me to some extent of Sullivan Powell's Gentleman's Mixture, except this one was milder in strength. In fact, Tashkent is REALLY mild. It also burns cool and has a hint of sweetness from the Izmir that I found to be delightful. Puff as fast as you want because this one won't bite a bit.