By mixing and then stoving the Burley and Virginias, we obtained a nut-like and slightly sweet aroma. A touch of St. James Parish Perique is then added to set it apart from all other blends.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4

It's a VaBur with a little perique. Not much spice, but it's a little sweet with some earthy, nut flavors, rounded off a little by the high quality Virginias. The burley is the main player here. There is a little essence of vinegar reminiscent of what you get in McClelland blends, and a light sour note or two that doesn't interfere with the creamy smoothness of the smoke. It's very obvious that a lot of time was taken to perfect this mixture. It's great any time, all day and all night if you so desire.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

Wow. This is a good VA/BurPer.

I'm convinced the VA is McClelland 5105 and it pretty much runs the show here.

Weybridge has that soft high note sweetness of 5105 but with a burley bass note and a nice Perique twang.

Sort of a VaPer with a subwoofer. Maybe OJK before he got old and crotchety.

I've tried several 4Noggins Blends and haven't met one yet that didn't make me go "Holy cripes. That's good stuff!!!".

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I get the mild nuttiness, but not much else other than some unpleasant bitterness in the last 1/3 of a bowl. A very soft and mild blend, rather bland other than the bitterness in a meer or briar. In a cob, there's a bit more of the VA showing, and the bitterness a bit less unpleasant. More of a 2.5 than a full three star for me. Burley fans looking for something mild and a bit different may like this more.

Pipe Used: Country Gentleman cob, meer, briars

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Drumdude06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drumdude06 (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is my favorite blend. It is a perfect combination of Virginias that add sweetness, Burleys that add body, and Perique that adds the perfect bit of spice. The Perique is definitely a condiment, and is light by most Va/Per standards. However, in this blend the amount of Perique is perfect for my taste. There seems to be a slight top coat which adds a slight amount of sweetness and makes the room note pleasant for the wife. Rich at 4noggins puts out great products, so give this or some of his other blends a try.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A delicious bell ringer with a dose of nicotine that made me smile and quit shaking. Not a lot of Perique but enough to let you know its there. I really enjoyed the Burley/Virginia combination that came through in unrelenting waves.

Want real "Grandpa used to smoke this" style tobacco? Well, here you go.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a great change of pace tobacco. I find the aftertaste a little bitter with a slight McClellands Vinegary taste (whiskey topping?), very unusual but nice.I tend to smoke this when I'm a rush and just need that N hit. This packs easy, lites easy and with a little tamping, it keeps burning great while inside or out. I love the Perique hit when blown through the nose and this never bites no matter how hard you"stoke it",although I agree with some reviewers that say it needs some drying, the burley stays in the background. It has some sweet notes but this is not a tobacco I smoke to savor and contemplate, although it is nice when sipped. A good "on the go" tobacco that's great in a cob. It's my go too tobacco for those short trips to the store or work around the yard. This is very similar to P&C Sunza Bitches and OJK but I think this is mellower. I always want to keep this around.

Updated 9/8/11 I was looking for that evening smoke but my tonque just about had it. In the back of the cellar was some Weybridge, only cellared for about 6 months. What a treat, sweet, no bite good "N". Totally improved tobacco in only 6 months and now complex and very smooth unlike OJK that I find harsh. Want a little more spice, go for Prarrie Wind or C&D's 3 Friers but if you want something that you can really suck the "N" , Weybridge is for you ( great for us Northern Winter Smokers who can only stand outside for a few minutes)

Updated 2/27/2012- I recieved a new batch of this blend and I was a little disappointed with the consistency. It seems as though the Burley shows through more and doesn't have the Perique hit or topping note. I've got to take this down one star.

Novangelus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Novangelus (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I received some of this in a boxpass from Blackhorse. This is my first 4Noggins venture, and based on this it will not be my last. I too enjoy Exhausted Rooster but found this blend not to be quite as strong in the nic kick.

I enjoyed a variety of flavors in this blend. The burley, virginia and perique all play a varying role as it is smoked. Very satisfying smoke!

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

You can see at the first packing and lighting the high quality of the leaves used in this blend. Virginia of this blend has a natural, pure sweetness which has been rounded up with some Burley. The result is a nice semi-sweet taste. And this taste is balanced with a touch of Perique. I personally would like to taste the Perique in a higher proportion.

I could detect an extremely mild casing. This flavor reminds me the classical sour-sweet taste of McClelland tobaccos.

It is an easy keep lit tobacco. It smokes with a mild strength at the beginning and when I approach to the middle of the bowl it begins to satisfy my nicotine and flavor needs, and keeps this well balance till to the bottom.

This is a very well balanced, and proffesionally prepared blend. An all day day smoke for my tastes.

Dave R Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave R (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I didn't think Rich could top Jesse's Own in the flavour department but he just might have done here. Don't get me wrong, this a completely different animal but once again, the tin description is pretty accurate. I've smoked quite a bit of this now (nearly half a pound) and it continues to fascinate me. As something of a Vaper buff this blend has loads to recommend it, sweet sugary Virginias and quality Burleys with just enough Perique to keep me interested.

In the world of the micro blender this guys star is definitely on the rise.

Highly Recommended.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)

I'm very surprised that I'm the first to review this blend. I can't say if it's a new blend, just recently having discovered 4 - N's (and very glad I did). I'll say straight off this is an early impression - not tempered by having tried in in various pipes, over time, etc. I ordered this because I fell in love with C & D's new Exhausted Rooster (damn near the Holy Grail) and this appeared to be close to the same blend (though it's not flake and I'm sure the ratios and specific tobaccos used must be somewhat different). But it has that same musty Perique aroma (love it, just love it) on top of the stoved VA and Burley mix. How can this go wrong? Well, it guess it could easily have gone South, but it seems to be a well designed and proportioned blend...with the Perique making it's presence known from top to bottom. It doesn't burn as easily as 4-N's self-smoldering "Down by the River" Burley blend...you have to attend to it. Maybe drying this one a bit would be a good idea - it gurgled a bit in my pipe...had to mop it with a cleaner twice. No biggie as I'm certainly a puffer. Be that as it may, this is certainly a winner in terms of flavor - high quality tobaccos here as I'm guessing in all their blends. It's nice to find another blender that really cares about that aspect...as the reviews of all their other blends will attest. My early read on this goes to three out of four stars. If further testing goes one way or the other I'll revise it. I have to add that to my mind there are maybe a half dozen blenders out there from which you can get good Burley - if you love Burley, you know who they are. Now I'm adding 4 Noggins to my short list of these.

Another one ounce sample from 4noggins. Deep brown mixed with black and with the most bizarre bag aroma ever. Some sickly sweet artificial scent that I couldn't place but made me wonder if PG has an aroma. At any rate, I didn't taste it much, so much ado about little.

VaBurPer with the emphasis on Bur. The VA and perique seemed minor players and simply served to keep this one from monodimensionality. Perhaps a little more should have been employed because this one was pretty much a one trick burley pony top to bottom. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but the burley turned bitter on me fairly quickly. I could not finish some bowls as a result. When the flavor was on, it was quite good - no bite and with deep nutty character made slightly sweet and sour by the condiments. But it was just too persnickety for me - I couldn't make it work for me. Might be worth a shot to order some more and age it for awhile, because it just seemed too youthful. Then again, I'm not sure what 3-5 years would do to a burley. At any rate, I'm going to take a pass on this. A couple more 4noggins to go but Alamosa wins the prize so far to my taste buds.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Meh...I found it rather bland. Light, fluffy tobacco (as are all of the 4noggins I tried). Not bad but far from great. All 4 of the ones I tried tasted very similar to one another.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: 4noggins

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

For me, this blend misses the mark somewhat. The flavor is good, but I get a bit of mouth fatigue. I'm not sure why in that I tolerate many other blends from other blenders just fine with similar ingredients (xref Hearth & Home, Cornell & Diehl) but most 4noggins blends just don't work for me. It's a shame as they seem to be high quality, taste good, and burn well...

who me? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who me? (8)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

I had received a sample of this with an order some time ago and as I remember I thought that it was not great but pretty good. After reading the reviews here I ordered some with my next order.

I am afraid that I regret that decision. The tin(bag)aroma was clearly vinegary and this smell completely overwhelmed any of the tobacco smells. I hoped that this would not be true of the smoking when I set match to it in my favorite Pete, but that taste was indeed present in that first bowl as well as a bitter aftertaste. I tried it in several other pipes over the next 2 months, hoping that I might find some improvement from my initial bowl experience, but I just cannot get pass that McClelland vinegary taste. In this sample it is quite pronounced. I have cellared the balance hoping that time might make a difference. If it improves I will re-post, if not I will toss it.

Either way, it is just not my "cup of tea" and I will not be reordering. I must say that the rave reviews of this blend here makes me at least concerned about 4noggins quality control.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)

Got a free sample and thought this was really nice. Smoother and creamier than GLP Triple play with i also love. Easy all day smoke with the right balance of taste and reasonable nicotine. I ordered 2 pounds.

Update, 6 months ageing really brings out the flavours and makes this a very good value for money smoke. Easy all dayer.

A very interesting blend from 4 Noggins. More of a vabur as the perique has been added with a very light hand. Slightly sweet and savory in flavor, it packs well and burns cleanly. Well done! Recommended.

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I first tried Weybridge as a sample from 4 Noggins. I was rather impressed and bought a few ounces bulk. Will be getting more. This is a NICE Va/bur/per, ribbon-cut blend. Great virginias, a touch of perique, but the real star here is the burley. I have no idea what it is or where it comes from, but it really sets this blend off. I generally don't take to burley, but this is exceptional. Mellow, nutty, no bite. Adds a body to the virginias that is really sublime. It's very remeniscent of Escudo, but with more burley body. Also reminds me somewhat of Solani Silver Flake, but lighter. NICE !

My only caution is to give it some air-out and dry time. As it comes in bulk the pouch note is very heavy dried fruit from a casing/topping/humectant (?) and the tobacco is rather moist. Smoked in this condition the flavor comes through in the smoke and it burns hot and bitey. So I put it in a bail top jar and set it on a sunny window sill for a day, turning it over occassionally. That heavy topping note dissipated to a slight vinegar and the tobacco dried nicely. It made all the difference in the world! No discernable topping taste at all. Just good ole tobacco. Rich at 4Ns puts out a great product in Weybridge. If you like Va, Va/bur, Va/per, you ought to give this a spin.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

Again a winner from 4noggins. As always with Rich' blends the Burley is outstanding. In this blend the Virginia plays the supporting role, giving a sweet and creamy touch. If there is any casing (I think there is) it must be a very light one. The perique really shines, from begin to the end of the smoke. I think both begin and end are very good, and the middle part is even better. I smoked this in cold weather, but suspect the this blend is even better in summertime.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

I was given a sample of this without realising what it was, so I looked it up first to scrutinise it's components. Pseudo Nim is a dedicated flake smoker who does not like loose tobacco's and in particular, Burley's.

Burley's are for OTC's like H&H, they are not for Pseudo Nim, who prefers straight virginia's, occasionaly wandering into the realms of English (Squadron Leader or SG Balkan) but NOT Burley's.

As it was a gift from a freind, I felt the least I could do was give it a try, easy to load, easy to light with excellent burn charecteristics, easy on the tongue with a very pleasant taste, nutty, yet smooth and a little creamy, with only the slightest hint of sweetness, just enough for this tobacco not to be boring or dry.

This is an outstanding blend, created by a master craftsman, although I feel I have more than enough tobacco's in my rotation, this is one that has aroused my attention sufficiently for me to question, should I realy be without some, at least, to have on hand ?

Ah, and alas, I fear I shall have to order some, weakness is such a virtue.