Perique, bright flake, Turkish flake and bright Virginia ribbon combine to make a memorable smoke.

Notes: Oriental Silk was introduced in August, 1996.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Fun With C&D Samples, Vol. II, # 1

Sometimes you get lucky with samples. Sometimes you fire up your first bowlful and, after just a few puffs, think to yourself that you have a winner. And sometimes that feeling lasts throughout the entire 2 oz sample baggie. This is one of those times.

As mentioned, the cut of this (wide ribbon with some chunks and narrower ribbon) looks like it would burn like tissue paper but somehow C&D has managed to make it burn nicely, if a tad quickly. I've smoked and reviewed all the McClelland Grand Oriental series and I enjoy several of them but this one adds a nice shot of testosterone to the flavor. This is a bolder smoke than, say, Drama or Smyrna in the GO series. Oriental Silk has all their flavor and then some but also a good deal more body and "satisfaction factor" (which may be simple nicotine). The room aroma is redolent with spices and incense and the flavor is a wonderful spicy sweetness. The perique is barely there but does seem to escalate the flavor somehow. It has a "bite" and I mean that in a positive way. It doesn't bite the tongue but it has a nice sharp burst of flavor, like Sobranie or Dunhill 965 does. The flavor of this demands to be actively experienced from the first puff. I wouldn't call this wildly complex; instead I'd call it excellent from charring light to dottle - just a wonderful flavor that I intend to go back to over and over. If I could smoke just one tobacco... well, I'd be irritable for sure but if I HAD to, this would be on my very short list of choices.

C&D has nailed the VaPerTurk! These guys continue to impress me, even though I don't appreciate the taste of all their blends. They are truly working to put something out for everyone. Most impressive blender!

This was much more than I expected. The flavors are rich and there's a depth that's hard to account for. Not sure where that's coming from, but it's very welcome. Turkish forward, but the sweet Virginias make a strong showing. The Perique is very light, but discernible. In a word, delicious.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)

I think that I've enjoyed the erstwhile #414 more than any newfound blend in years...and years. Maybe it's just that it hit me at just the right point in my own 'taste preference progression thing' - lucky me! It's not overly complex...just another VA/Per/Turk...being Perique, bright flake, Turkish flake and bright Virginia ribbon...but it has a fantastic all day kind of straight flavor that just 'clicks'! The sweet bright VA's being balanced by the sour Perique and the tangy Turkish. It's a small sized ribbon/shredded cut, soft and easy to pack. Lights easily and evenly and burns readily but is managable with proper attention (as with amything of this cut a fairly constant light tamp is needed til the halfway point). It does especially well in deeper bowls but I think putting it into too small a bowl would be a sad thing. lol It's also easy to obtain (not a small thing any more) and for what counts today as low prices.

I'll let DK's spot on review below stand as representing my thoughts as well, I couldn't have said it any better!

So let's finish by doing it this way:

1st star: availability (yes, it gets a star for just being there) 2nd star: low pricing (and another because I can afford it) 3rd star: managability of the leaf during packing and smoking 4th star: interplay of excellent flavors

So, mixing the practical and the sublime...it comes up with a 4-star rating.

I have been on a Turkish kick of late and recently bought some Oriental Silk. The pouch scent is mainly sour, but in a good way. I did dry the entire ounce sample that I bought as it was a little bit moist for my personal taste. My first reaction to smoking Oriental Silk is that it is a fitting name for the blend. OS is a silky smooth offering. The Orientals take the lead, but the Virginia is just right and the Perique is definitely noticeable, especially as each bowl progressed toward its end. I like small to medium amounts of Perique, but if you are not of fan of Perique, this might not be your best choice as I do think there is more here than others have mentioned. For me, along with the sour, comes a wonderful sweetness and a small amount of mustiness. The Oriental and Virginias come together in perfect harmony. I have wondered if there is a small amount of added sweetener but I can’t say for sure. OS is not a strong blend, but it does have a bit of backbone to it too. I would put it in the medium category in the strength department, unless you smoke it quickly and then…. Oriental Silk has quickly become one of my top three or four C&D blends!

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

What took me so long to smoke this blend? I think it is an overlooked front runner and the taste was sublime. The strength of this blend is what attracted me to it and the Perique element is so slight that it can go unnoticed at times. Turkish leaf smacks you immediately with a burst of deep flavor that reeks of quality.

Good job, C&D!

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

Oriental Silk is not a very 'interesting' blend. That doesn't mean it's bad - just that there isn't much going on as you smoke it. If you don't like the beginning of the bowl, you won't like the rest.

Definitely not one for the beginner, I believe that a bit of inattentiveness could produce a serious bite.

The Perique lends a nice backdrop for the interplay between the Va and the spicy Turkish. Neither the Va nor the Turkish dominate, rather they seem to meld into a spicy sweetness that at times produces an aftertaste that almost suggests the presence of Burley.

I realize that a good balance between the various typed of leaf is desireable, but in this case, the balance is almost too good. What could have been an interesting blend turns out to be a bit cloying.

Upon reading some of the other reviews ( which I usually don't like to do before I make my own ) I noticed a lot of conflicting information. I suspect that since this is a Bulk, there maybe differences in the moisture content and pipe types smoked. My sample is about 4 months old, smoked in a cob and on the dry side. The "fish food" cut was easy to pack, light and stay lit at a slow sip tempo. The Orientals are out front from start to finish, Perique is none existent ( maybe near the bottom) and you could have fooled me if this contains Virginia. All in all, an easy none complicated, one dimensional smoke for when you don't want anything heavy, this is spicy. I could see myself smoking this outside in public because it stays lit so well at a slow sip so you're not generating clouds of smoke. Really too light on N for me but nice once in a while.

Updated 1/2/12= I've had this cellared for about a year and I've hydrated it slightly, and what a difference. The Turkish are more subdued , the Virginias and Periques are now noticeable. Perique provides some spice and interest. For anyone who has tried P&C "Marquee Series; Sweet & Savory" this is very close, not as smooth and no maple tin aroma but close. I will think about moving this to 3 stars but have other blends that I like better, still too spicy for me.

Updated 7/12/12- I'm still having problems with the heat/spice from this blend. It just isn't smooth enough to move to 3 stars. I have to agree with reviewer ,CaptnDan 01/29/2006, in that I also get a slight taste of Burley. Smoke this fast and you get a milder Old Joe Krantz. P&C "Marquee Series; Sweet & Savory" is better than this. I won't buy again.

teniscat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teniscat (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The chunks pack very easily. Pretty smooth smoke. But gets a little stronger towards the bottom of the bowl. The turkish, virginia and perique meld together to form a enjoyable smoke. I can not figure out which is dominant among the three types of tobacco. I am leaning toward the vaper with the oriental somewhat in the rear. Taste like a mild Bayou Morning with added Oriental tobaccos.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)

I am scared of perique due to my own stupidity of hearing descriptions of spicey,peppery,et al. Got a sample of this years ago from C&D & finally decided to try it. It looked as if it would burn hot. Light flakes,squares, flat chunks,etc. Smells Virginiaish (Funn Dictionary). Have tried it in small meers, briars am currently smoking a second bowl in a Peterson System 309. I don't understand how Craig can take a feathery light blend that should burn like tissue paper & transform it into an amazing mixture! This is Va.lights & perique at it's BEST. Ultra mild light Old Gowrie. Gravity feed it lightly,grind up some into crumbs or dust on top for combustability (Funn Dictionary). And take your time. This is light Va and Turkish. I huff some and sip discriminently to start with. Don't epect Va. sweetness or perique biteyness or complexity as I did.Take your time and the subtlety of the Va and Turkish will reward your mouth exquisitely. Make sure you have something to drink because it will dry your mouth out. My preferance is green tea. I was shocked at how smooth and biteless this blend is. I bought a lb at the CORPS Show after my sample was gone. Smoking this gives me images of Holmes & Watson dressed in whites at a summer lawn gathering,Bengal Lancers enjoying it in the barracks shade,Sopwith Camel pilots in the summer's heat w/a lager. Cary Grant and Errol Flynn at a Beverly Hills pool party w/Vodka martinis. I light this continously till it doesn't light anymore then gently tamp stopping at any resistance. I can exhale thru my nose occasionally with no ill effects. This burns leaving the pipe walls clean down to a fine grey ash with no liquid or gurgle. The well of my System was left dry. You have to sip this and breathe smoke to appreciate the Turkish blendation (Funn Dictionary) w/the Va.s. Smooth as silk. Highly recommended to any mild Va. smoker but with a drink.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

Simply put, Delicious! A keeper for anyone who enjoys the flavor of turkish tobacco. Extremely well blended.

Wetheel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wetheel (4)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried Oriental Silk after reading a review by "the Professor," and it's been my all-day smoke for over five years. The Prof said to smoke it slowly, and he understated. Smoke it even more slowly than that.

In fact, I screen it before smoking. Cornell and Diehl favors a rather fine cut (2-3 millimeters) to begin with, and the package contains a good deal of crumbs. Right out of the bag, the tobacco almost flares up, with the natural result that the smoke lacks flavor. It does indeed have some of the character of cigarette tobacco. Use a kitchen strainer (NOT the same one the wife uses--no amount of cleaning will prevent a lot of discussion) to remove most of the fines, and the blend takes on a darker, richer flavor and aroma. It's very satisfying that way.

Smoke it dry, too. Craig Tarler is famous for shipping his product without much moisture, and adding much water to this one will make it burn hotter and lose flavor. After screening, I put the tobacco in a Mason jar, add a teaspoonful of water, cap it and put it on the shelf for a month before cracking the seal. The bright Virginia gets better with age, up to perhaps 3-4 years, though of course it usually doesn't last so long.

Focus! A fill can go for an hour, hour and a half, if you concentrate. Counterintuitively, when the flavor's best, lay off for a moment rather than sucking on it. Smoking while working often means mindlessly pulling on the pipe, overheating the tobacco and getting a fairish nicotine hit but less of the subtle taste. Beginners could well choose a different blend; Oriental Silk calls for a bit of technique.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)

After finding Orion's Arrow so much to my distaste I was pleasantly surprised at Oriental Silk. With ingredients seemingly so similar one would not expect such stark differences. Oriental Silk is most appropriately named. It is slightly sweet, slightly spicy, and incredibly smooth, very smooth. For those times when I do not feel like wrestling with Old Joe Krantz and also not wanting the demands of a Latakia blend, this fills the bill nicely. Everything works here; no bite at all, pleasant aftertaste. A superb all day candidate. This would make an excellent blend for someone wishing to try a non-aromatic without getting into a full on English (whether Latakia, VA Flake, or VaPer). Also recommended as a good start for a new pipe smoker who is a cigarette smoker as an introduction. A blend one can start with and remain with while checking out the array of other blends. By my own method of ratings, 4 star is only given to 3 star blends I have repurchased. But I make an exception to my personal rule here. Excellent.

Pipe Used: Corncobs, briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh production

devinci40 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
devinci40 (4)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Being a burly fan this was never on my try list. Irish flake and junk yard dog are my go to tobaccos. Ill have to say this one caught me by surprise. I bought 2 oz bulk, it has a sweet aroma,it looked and smelled of all the things I dislike in a tobacco.The first bowl was just OK..But the perique send me back for a second bowl. I know some on here said the perique is non existent, I have to say this stuff had enough perique to clear my sinus. Not a whole lot of flavor complexity but I dont think that was the point of this tabacco it is a simple blend,well balance and makes a good all day smoke.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

Another nice tobacco by Cornell & Diehl. Kind of a subtle smoke; no one taste or flavor jumps right out. But patience is a virtue. This tobacco grew on me; I found myself reaching for it pretty regularly instead of many other smokes.

This reminds me of other C&D blends, including Virginia Gentlemen and even Sunday Picnic, both of which I also enjoy. If you like a clean, natural smoke with a noticeable amoount of Turkish, punch this ticket.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: Mostly medium tan with a fair amount of pale yellow, and a small portion of dark leaf. The cut is random with some medium width ribbon, but mostly small cut. Like most C&D blends, this is on the dry side.

Aroma: The predominant part of the aroma to me seems to be the musty smell of perique, backed by the dry "grassy" aroma of turkish. I don't detect much, if any virginia sweetness.

Packing: Packing is easy in any size pipe, owing to the smallish cut. No special care was needed to get a springy surface with just a slight drag in the draw.

Lighting: The tobacco lights easily, sometimes with one Vesta.

Initial flavor: I get a tingle from the perique first, followed immediately by the spicy nuttiness of the turkish. I don't get much from the virginias, they seem to be too light to contribute much weight or sweetness to the mix. The first impression is light, but quite tasty

Mid-bowl: It burns quite easily, but does not get hot unless puffed agressively. The orientals start to dominate the blend here, with the perique playing harmony, and the virginia still stays in the background. The smoke lacks density, probably because of the lack of more mature, darker virginias

Finish: Even smoked slowly, the bottom comes fairly soon. I detect a slight bitterness, and some added strength at the end. I also detect a slight dryness in my mouth when I finish the bowl. The ash is clean and pale gray.

Tried in the following pipes: Several Sasieni Family era Four Dots, a GBD Militaire.

Summary: This would be a great tobacco for warm weather, when darker virginias and latakia are too heavy for me.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I've doen a total about-face on this blend. Initially I didn't like it, but it won me over. It's many things I normally don't like in a tobacco- pale, golden, sweet, grassy, and heavily Virginia, but somehow all the components blend together into a fascinating harmony. It's very finely cut, and is easy to smoke too quickly - I wouldn't recommend it for a beginning smoker, lest he bite his tongue or crack his pipe. Given relaxed puffing and slow savoring, though, it comes into its own with a sweet and very pure taste that always reminds me of a summer evening.