Reviews: 72088 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

A light to medium aromatic with a whiskey, and sometimes chocolate like, aroma. It smokes on the drier side, for an aromatic, with Black Cavendish and ample Virginia's from Zimbabwe and the Carolinas providing enough body to make this a satisfying smoke. A hint of White Burley is thrown in as well. Both the room note and flavor are a tasteful blend of base tobaccos. A mild aromatic for those that "Don't Do Aromatics".

Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Whisky

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginias are earthy with a deep dark and citrus fruitiness. The black cavendish appears to be unsweetened and adds a smooth, creamy brown sugar essence. A hint of white burley offers a little toast and nuts with a hit of sharpness, and seems a little more obvious than the description allows. The mild whiskey topping does sublimate the tobaccos to some extent. The chocolate topping is more lightly applied and underscores thetas throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is very mild. The ribbon cut tobacco is a little moist, but needs no dry time. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean, very smooth with a mild creaminess and a harmoniously consistent flavor. Doesn’t need many relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Has no harsh spots, no chemical notes, and will not bite. The after taste is pleasant. A mild all day aromatic that doesn’t wear out its welcome.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (98)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When I first read about this blend - I called Rich up and said "I must have it...I must have it!" Woe unto me as Mr. Gottlieb was totally out of this blend - as certain ingredients had not come in. Bummer!

Well I wailed and kavetched until - finally - he was able to satisfy my curiosity. And I have to say the 4 week wait was well worth it.

The description sums up the experience perfectly. The blend smokes exactly - at least to my palate - as described in the description of "Covered Bridges."

The blend has a almost a whiskey taste during the smoke that alternates into bakers chocolate. Very tasty - Yet not overly sweet - this has an almost off-dry kind of taste that is absolutely delightful.

If you don't do aromatics you ought to give this one a try as it definitely tastes like tobacco - there is just a little hint of mystery here that makes it enjoyable.

As I told Rich - this - could be my "go to aromatic" - but then again - with so many awesome Aromatic and English blends from 4 Noggins - I should rather say - Go to 4 Noggins. You will not be disappointed.

Big thumbs up Rich. 4 Stars.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Good quality, but "Aromatic" for those not like aromatics.. The taste is... smoke...tobacco! I dont noted Any Whiskey or Chocolate, i dont noted Black Cavendish. I note only Burley and Virginia. For me is very good, because I enjoy Aromatics and no Aromatics. low ammount of Nicotine, as I enjoy. 4 Stars,very good mixture.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

What a pleasant surprise. My reference points are Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake, House of Calabash Wild Rose, Grandpa's. Covered Bridges while not in any danger of displacing these winners is a great bridge blend (pardon) from drug store on the way to the greats. It is drier than most aro's, clean burn with a somewhat mottled ash, no sourness mid or end of bowl, no chemical taste..all the things that discredit many common aro's. Covered Bridges has a real tobacco flavor mixed in with more chocolate than whiskey but doesn't overwhelm. This is tobacco not candied tobacco. Low on Vit N it is fine in a cob. Inruns in the back of the pack withe Big Boys.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mild and sweet Aro with a decent tobacco base that burns cool and dry.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I have smoked about 100grs of this stuff by now.

It's easy on nicotine which leaves me wanting more. It has some whisky/chocolate flavoured, mild tobacco taste. Burns on the dry side with no bite.

My search for the perfect aromatic continues, I am only looking for an aromatic to be able to smoke without killing the wife and wife loves the smell of this one but I need some more tobacco if I am gonna smoke an aromatic.

Recommended if you want a mild, socially acceptable tobacco.

When the autumn chill hits New England, I generally find myself reaching for more Latakia dominate blends, but this fall, a few aromatics by the fire have been enjoyable. 4 Noggins has more of their share of quality aro's and Covered Bridges is one of them. I enjoy the occasional aromatic if the underlying tobacco is of high quality and not just a soaked burley. Covered Brides is a balanced blend and what distinguishes this is that it arrives much drier than the average aromatic. It is somewhat sweet, but not overpowering as some aromatics can be. I don't find much of the whiskey taste here and I get more of a light chocolate flavor that doesn't crowd out the taste of the tobacco. CB burns cleanly, leaves a nice ash and leaves no goop in the bowl. Recommended

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A mixture with a very mild whisky aroma, which personally brings me a sense of chocolate to my mouth. I do not know if it's chocolate or perfume, which Rich Gottlieb commonly uses in most of his aromatic mixtures. Although, when touched the tobacco feels wet, it smokes easily and leaves no moisture in the bowl. It can bite a little if you smoke eagerly after a long pause. The room note is beautiful and discreet. It contains Burley, Black Cavendish and Virginia from Zimbabwe, as claimed by Rich. It is available only in BULK. I want to thank my friend yannis_k for bringing me plenty Covered Bridges, at the March 2010 meeting, so that I can enjoy and comment it on my blog.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (33)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is an unusually dry-smoking aromatic. I could light it up and smoke without any airing at all. The virginias and cavendish offer complexity and tobacco subtleties, light burley provides solid backbone to this well behaved blend. The flavouring is gentle, classy, not overpowering, and probably of dark cocoa than whiskey. This tobacco rewards light packing and only a gentle tamper is needed. A slow and patient burn results in a fine mottled dry ash and a negligible aftertaste. The room note was discrete and elegant, and attracted compliments. While personally I prefer Rich's more defined aromatics (his "Catamount" is amazingly good), the "Covered Bridges" is gentle and well blended and should please those who might be otherwise afraid of aromatics. After one year edit: this blend has aged in a mason jar and retained moisture and flavour. By now it is less showy but continues to deliver amazing performance. No bite, no bitterness, and only good smoke. Yet another winner for Rich.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 88 with a 9mm filter