4noggins.com

A light to medium aromatic with a whiskey, and sometimes chocolate like, aroma. It smokes on the drier side, for an aromatic, with Black Cavendish and ample Virginia's from Zimbabwe and the Carolina's providing enough body to make this a satisfying smoke. A hint of White Burley is thrown in as well. Both the room note and flavor are a tasteful blend of base tobaccos. A mild aromatic for those that "Don't Do Aromatics".

Brand4noggins

3.1
albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Good quality, but "Aromatic" for those not like aromatics.. The taste is... smoke...tobacco! I dont noted Any Whiskey or Chocolate, i dont noted Black Cavendish. I note only Burley and Virginia. For me is very good, because I enjoy Aromatics and no Aromatics. low ammount of Nicotine, as I enjoy. 4 Stars,very good mixture.

Ryepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryepipe (19)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

What a pleasant surprise. My reference points are Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake, House of Calabash Wild Rose, Grandpa's. Covered Bridges while not in any danger of displacing these winners is a great bridge blend (pardon) from drug store on the way to the greats. It is drier than most aro's, clean burn with a somewhat mottled ash, no sourness mid or end of bowl, no chemical taste..all the things that discredit many common aro's. Covered Bridges has a real tobacco flavor mixed in with more chocolate than whiskey but doesn't overwhelm. This is tobacco not candied tobacco. Low on Vit N it is fine in a cob. Inruns in the back of the pack withe Big Boys.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mild and sweet Aro with a decent tobacco base that burns cool and dry.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I have smoked about 100grs of this stuff by now.

It's easy on nicotine which leaves me wanting more. It has some whisky/chocolate flavoured, mild tobacco taste. Burns on the dry side with no bite.

My search for the perfect aromatic continues, I am only looking for an aromatic to be able to smoke without killing the wife and wife loves the smell of this one but I need some more tobacco if I am gonna smoke an aromatic.

Recommended if you want a mild, socially acceptable tobacco.

When the autumn chill hits New England, I generally find myself reaching for more Latakia dominate blends, but this fall, a few aromatics by the fire have been enjoyable. 4 Noggins has more of their share of quality aro's and Covered Bridges is one of them. I enjoy the occasional aromatic if the underlying tobacco is of high quality and not just a soaked burley. Covered Brides is a balanced blend and what distinguishes this is that it arrives much drier than the average aromatic. It is somewhat sweet, but not overpowering as some aromatics can be. I don't find much of the whiskey taste here and I get more of a light chocolate flavor that doesn't crowd out the taste of the tobacco. CB burns cleanly, leaves a nice ash and leaves no goop in the bowl. Recommended

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A mixture with a very mild whisky aroma, which personally brings me a sense of chocolate to my mouth. I do not know if it's chocolate or perfume, which Rich Gottlieb commonly uses in most of his aromatic mixtures. Although, when touched the tobacco feels wet, it smokes easily and leaves no moisture in the bowl. It can bite a little if you smoke eagerly after a long pause. The room note is beautiful and discreet. It contains Burley, Black Cavendish and Virginia from Zimbabwe, as claimed by Rich. It is available only in BULK. I want to thank my friend yannis_k for bringing me plenty Covered Bridges, at the March 2010 pipeclub.gr meeting, so that I can enjoy and comment it on my blog.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When I first read about this blend - I called Rich up and said "I must have it...I must have it!" Woe unto me as Mr. Gottlieb was totally out of this blend - as certain ingredients had not come in. Bummer!

Well I wailed and kavetched until - finally - he was able to satisfy my curiosity. And I have to say the 4 week wait was well worth it.

The description sums up the experience perfectly. The blend smokes exactly - at least to my palate - as described in the description of "Covered Bridges."

The blend has a almost a whiskey taste during the smoke that alternates into bakers chocolate. Very tasty - Yet not overly sweet - this has an almost off-dry kind of taste that is absolutely delightful.

If you don't do aromatics you ought to give this one a try as it definitely tastes like tobacco - there is just a little hint of mystery here that makes it enjoyable.

As I told Rich - this - could be my "go to aromatic" - but then again - with so many awesome Aromatic and English blends from 4 Noggins - I should rather say - Go to 4 Noggins. You will not be disappointed.

Big thumbs up Rich. 4 Stars.

Britannia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Britannia (34)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a decent light aromatic blend. A good afternoon smoke when you want to sit back and enjoy the world go by. For those that don't take to aromatics, give this one a try. There is no overt topping taste the I can tell, and no aftertaste that some aromatics produce.

I give this 3 aromatic stars.

[Update]

I am not an aromatic person, but after devouring my 2oz I purchased, I missed this. I had to order another 4oz just to be sure. This is not your typical aromatic. No casing that I can detect, but G Damn good tobacco.

4 stars, because I am craving this.

[Update 2009] I have to downgrade this due to my recent aversion to aromatic casing. I'm mostly smoking VA/PER Flakes an such. This can't compare, but keep it around when you crave something different.