Chipman Hill is a great all day smoke for the English blend lover, even if its not a crowd pleaser, (can you say "Latakia"), but who do you smoke for? The cut is dark and stringy. Packing qualities are good. The aroma is full and the taste rich in orientals and sweet spice.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.6

When I first came upon 4 Noggins house blends several years ago, Chipman Hill was at the time of the first blends I purchased. I am a bit surprised that there are not more reviews of this blend. CH is comprised of very thin ribbons that with a bit of dry time pack with ease. It is a medium blend, that isn't very complex, but far from boring. It is a solid, all day, cool burning English blend. Most English blend smokers will not find the Latakia to be overpowering, but enough to satisfy a Latakia craving while still allowing the other blend components to balance things out. One of the things I like a lot about Chipman Hill is how the flavor really blooms when aged for two or even better, three years. The fact that it is only sold in bulk makes cellaring some well worth it. 4 Noggins has created a nice stable of blends and Chipman Hill is certainly one of them.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

A slighly modified English mixture, since in adiction to the classic Virginia, Turkisk and/or Orientals and Latakia, it haves also Perique and contains Light Golden Virginia tobacco.

The result is very good, wonderfull!. In the Pouch, the smell is very good, evidence of a quality English blend.

Burning, flavour and taste show an well combined, amalgamed, complex, but with each tobacco type may be detectable: Taste of Latakia, of Perique,of Orientals etc...

Even better than Presbyterian (a known benchmark standard) and much less expensive. Is nearly to perfection.

Although the comparison is not rigorous (since some are Balkan Mixtures and other are English mixtures) between the 4 Stars revised by me this is the first favorite: 1. Chipman Hill 2) Penzance 2) Britt's Balkan 3) Bald Headed Teacher Even better than Balkan Supreme,Stoneheaven, Altadis similar 965 and Three Blind Moose. If you enjoy Latakia and English or Balkan Mixtures, try this tobacco!

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

I recently got a sample of this blend with an order from 4Noggins. I smoked 2 bowls from the sample and immediately ordered a pound of this bulk blend. The flavor is outstanding, but not overwhelming. It is perfect for an all day tobacco. Since I got my pound, I have been starting the day with this blend, and smoking a few bowls throughout the day. It lights very well, and burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl without relighting. This would be a great blend for a slow smoking contest. I find it to be an excellent all day blend and I recommend it to those who love Latakia blends.

There's a nice interplay between the Latakia and the Orientals, each vying for the lead position. What I love most about this blend is the combined flavor of the Virginias and the Perique. That combo creates a rich, sweet, spicy, raisin/fig flavor that I find delightfully delicious. It really makes this a four star blend for me. This is a high quality smoke all-around. Medium in body, medium to full in flavor.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

cheapsk8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cheapsk8 (5)

What can be said of this tobacco? Wow. What a pleasent suprise!

I found a perfect bulk all day english!

It stays lit. The whole bowl. I can put it down, and pick it up and puff away. It is the perfect moisture out of the pack(Most 4noggins blends need some drying time IMHO). It tastes like a good english blend should, at least to my mind. Much nicer than MCC's 5110. All my pipes smoke it well so far. It doesn't dry my mouth out like the FrogMorton blends.(I know, strange, but they give me the pasties, and yes....thats all I smoked.) It isn't creamy(soapy?) like Ashton's Artisans Blend, but very neutral. It has a great price. I like spending my money at a place that provides excellent service, timely shipping, and the OWNER takes his time to answer any questions and provides free insight into his knowledge. 4noggins is that place. I am a really happy and loyal customer, and get no kick backs. It is an english blend, and my wife crumples her nose at it....but it is an english blend. Nothing competes in the blend, all the supporting cast play well together. Also burns down to clean ash, no gurgle.

Just go and buy some. If you really are scared to try it, ask for a sample with your next order from 4Noggins. I plunged in and ordered 2oz with my last order based on the reviews. Next order will be a pound.

Pipe Used: Bulldog and Stanwell 03

Age When Smoked: As shipped

Purchased From: 4Noggins of Course

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have a penchant for English blends, I've tasted many, but this time I did something I don't do everyday—I put three tobaccos head-to-head in a blind taste test. Yep. On the level. Chipman Hill went up against Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme and Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard—and Chipman Hill won. That's not to say the other two aren't any good, they are, I've enjoyed them both, but Chipman Hill seems to suit my palate the best. What more can be said?

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Favorit straight billiard

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Just OK--too many starfish on the beach to buy again.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (73)

A nice well rounded English. I've noticed with my samples from 4Noggins that free tobacco tastes just a little bit sweeter than paid for tobacco.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I, too, received a 1 oz. sample with a purchase from 4noggins. I was pleasantly surprised with Chipman Hill--a tobacco of which I had not previously been aware. An English blend, it emphasizes balance between the components as none predominate. As such, CH is perfect for an all-day English if you are so inclined. It won't knock your socks off but will act as a rich companion through your hours. Next order to 4noggins will include some. Recommended.

incoinnu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incoinnu (6)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an excellent blend with a good hit of Latakia. This will not be an everyday smoke for me but it will make it into my rotation of tobaccos. Well done Rich ! ( no affiliation, just a customer)

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Is it English, or is it Balkan? Enquiring minds want to know.

Finally found the right pipe for this blend: two of them; a Kirsten and an old Savinelli Roma that I usually keep for English and Balkan blends.

Chipman Hill starts out solidly, with a good blast of Latakia. The orientals come through later on and even out the taste. Too much Latakia on its own can be monotonous, but Chipman Hill has enough other ingredients to balance it out, and you can taste the Turkish / oriental periodically.

You could compare this to Nightcap or Standard Mixture Medium, and I will keep it on hand as a replacement for those two. Not quite enough oriental to be a replacement for Squadron Leader, but definitely a winner in its own way.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a well behaved English blend, fairly simple and classic in the flavors. The Virginias in it aren't overwhelming, neither is the latakia. The orientals add structure. It's got a bit of spice without being too much. Not sweet, burns clean and relatively dry. Somewhat stringy cut, almost shag. If left out will quickly shed moisture to the desired level.

I like it, but prefer other English blends from other blenders. From the same blender, I like Britt's Balkan more. (Balkan with vanilla overtones, yum...)

Historyteacher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Historyteacher (2)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received a sample in an order from 4 Noggins. Unfortunately, the gentleman that sent me the sample didn't realize Perique has an adverse affect on me. That said, it was a kind act indeed! Anyway, I can only smoke Perique in small quantities. The tobacco does pack and smoke very well. I gave this blend four stars because it is a superior blend, well balanced, and none of the flavors compete with each other. In fact, they work together in perfect harmony. I won't be smoking this one on a regular basis due to the Perique. But if you like Perique in a well balanced English blend, then this just might be the tobacco for you. A terrific blend from 4 Noggins! Well done!

R.Morris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R.Morris (5)

Free sample with my order. Smokes great. I give it 3 stars.