A mix of nutty Burley and rich Virginia tobaccos made user friendly by the Turkish, Perique, and Latakia. A lovely balance of sweet, spicy, & smokey. Button Bay packs easily with few relights. A "Very English" blend.

Brand4noggins
Taste

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

And I've been on a burley kick lately - so I'm starting with Button Bay.

Happily incinerated in my DGE Poker Nosewarmer. Gravity fed, finger-tamped, and initial char with a match.

Damn this stuff smells good in the pouch. Unlit taste is familiar, but very sweet compared to your standard fare English/Balkan. There is a fruity sweetness that is similar to a cavendish-added English, but not as strong as Northwoods or American Patriot - more subtle like Dunhill's MyMixture 956. There is a heavy, heady richness in the smell as well - a smokey and savory element to the latakia (quite sparing in this blend) and oriental, respectively.

Mouthfeel of the smoke is very rich. It takes quite a bit of work to taste the sum of the parts here, they are balanced quite well. If I could try to related the most predominant tobacco, I'd say Oriental makes it's presence known first, but there is some sweet/sour (caramel green apple) in there, muted just enough by a breadlike note. As I mentioned Latakia seems to be a good condiment to the Orientals, just to make it familiar. Snork and the "post smoke" taste in my mouth reveal some spice, but as with the latakia it's just peppered (heh) in there (compared to a blend with similar components, say C&D's Epiphany, that is quite aggressive with perique).

As the bowl warms up through midbowl, the savory flavors border on almost salty, there is an underlying sweetness as well.

This is not a "bomb" of any specific tobacco. It's a complex, yet mild and completely unoffensive smoke to this fan of the English and Balkan varieties. Balanced, and very rich on the tongue. Savory upfront, but with a very subtle sweetness throughout. Room note is bready, a little musty. Very little of the "burned tire" complaint I get from the wife when smoking a lat heavy blend.

You know I can't leave a review without a food comparison... here goes: Caraway-seeded Rye bread, left in a bag with a cut green apple just enough to collect a whiff of sweet and sourness, and eaten with a thin wedge of smoked cheddar of no insignificant aging that has no more than two cracks of fresh black pepper.

Nicotine did pack a bit of a wallop. Got a bad case of hiccups towards the end. Don't care, totally worth it.

Pipe Used: DGE Briar Poker

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4Noggins.com

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable smoke. Smoky, earthy, nutty, sweet, and spicy. The Burley is the star here and it's of very high quality. I do wish though that it had been applied with a slightly lighter hand. It masks the other components to a small extent. It's still a great smoke though. Medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. 3+ stars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

I'm singing with the chorus:good,inexpensive and addictive tobacco! Mr.Gottlieb do it different,without doubt. Beautiful bits of tobacco leaf are floating in there;how the blender come to such a result is beyond mewhenever I finished a bowl,I want more! Bravo!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

4noggins - Button Bay.

It's a manageable coarse cut mixture, any bigger broken flake pieces aren't that big as to be in need of further rubbing. It doesn't contain any twiggy bits either. It's smokeable, but if anything I'd say it's too dry.

Button Bay takes to the flame easily, and then gives a reliable burn. Where the tobaccos' are concerned it's the Burley that's in charge, easily stealing the show: it's primarily a Burley smoke. With the added flavours, I'd happily call them mild to medium (with the onus being on medium), and I don't just taste sharp citrus, I get an actual fruity note. The dryness creates a slight problem, one that technique could take a share of the blame for: speed of burn. And if I'm not cautious I can get quite a bite from it.

I'd call the nicotine medium, and the room-note just alright.

The rating: Button Bay isn't exactly a bad smoke, nor is it exactly my cup of tea. I don't know why the current description says "Very English" blend, it seems far from being English, to me.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Strambach Vienna Meerschaum

Purchased From: 4noggins

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I had to dry it because I don't like wet tobaccos (even a little). When it's dry, the taste is smooth and strong in the same time, thanks to the perique. If you don't like it, pass your way. Otherway I recommend it to you.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (24)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a fan of Carter Hall. There, I've said it. In the winter months I like to add a little smokiness and spice, so I ordered some Button Bay because it had distinctive reviews, and mixed it about 1/3 to 2/3 Carter Hall. Tastes really good on a winter day.

Pipe Used: corn cob, Cesare Berttonelli bent briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: 4 noggins

Similar Blends: no comparison that I know of.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I find that even with this blend being overly dried out that it remains pretty much what I have written below. The only thing that has happened is that it has mellowed out to be barely smokeable. This will be going into the trash bin presently. Original review: After smoking several pipes of this blend, I find that it is too much on the spicy/peppery side for my taste. It simply overpowers the smoking experience. I am very surprised because I have another blend from the fine folks of 4noggins.com that is simply wonderful. Maybe it needs to be aged a little more to settle it down. I shall re-visit this in a month or so to see how it is then.