A mix of nutty Burley and rich Virginia tobaccos made user friendly by the Turkish, Perique, and Latakia. A lovely balance of sweet, spicy, & smokey. Button Bay packs easily with few relights. A "Very English" blend.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4
joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

This blend has it all: it's lovely nutty (high quality Burley),subtle sweet (VA), delicious spicy (Turkish and Perique), and pleasant smoky. Just fantastic. Top quality smoke from begin till end of bowl. Burns very well (but not fast), no relights (just some tampering now and then) and leaves nothing more than a very small amount of fine white dust. Very, very recommended!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very enjoyable smoke. Smoky, earthy, nutty, sweet, and spicy. The Burley is the star here and it's of very high quality. I do wish though that it had been applied with a slightly lighter hand. It masks the other components to a small extent. It's still a great smoke though. Medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. 3+ stars.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

Lono Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lono (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Got this as a sample from the fine folks at 4noggins.com. I am a fan of several of their blends, and admittedly had very high expectations.

Packed this into my new Peterson Aran and sat down with my morning coffee. At first, I didn't quite get it, but as a relatively new pipe smoker, my palate may not be as attuned as other more experienced smokers, so I gave it some time. Here we go:

Stuck my nose in the bag and breathed in the wonderful nutty, smoky, spicy aroma.

Lights and burns well--a nice cool smoke. At first puff, I didn't quite know what to think or what I was tasting--perhaps the coffee had dulled my senses?

After a few minutes, the flavor came out in a big way. A present but not overpowering hardwood smokiness. A peppery spiciness noted by another reviewer as being too strong, but which I find gives the smoke great character without burying the sweeter undertones. With each draw, I can taste the contributions of the Turkish, Perique, Burley, and Latakia.

About half way through the bowl, the flavors come into a very elegant balance--the peppery overtones seem to have mellowed a bit revealing a creamy, sweet smokiness. I smoked this to the bottom of the bowl, leaving little more than a fine white ash.

Rich provided me with a generous sample at no charge when I placed my latest order--it will surely not last me long though, and it looks like I will be placing another order with 4noggins sooner than expected. Their fine blends and excellent customer care are why 4noggins has become my go-to tobacconist.

After a few more bowls, I will revisit this review and perhaps bump it up to 4 stars. My students will tell you I'm a hard grader, but I think that in the end this blend will really earn an A.

9/29/10 Just ordered an additional half pound from Rich. I'm bumping this up to four stars. This is now one of my go to morning smokes. Thoroughly enjoyable.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Latakia is a ritual, The Best tobacco ever. I like this blend, very smooth puffing. Really I remember the Night Cap in the Button Bay. I like this tobacco. Thanks Rich...

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

The description given by the house, reflects exactly what I think of this mixture. Rich knows his work is without doubt, to create a mixture that much English, so smooth, so easy to smoke, what satisfaction! Truly, my compliments! Recommend it to anyone!

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a generous sample of this tobacco from Mr Gottlieb. Normally I don't like burley. Burley is mostly - in German/Danish blends - a condiment of low quality and a substrate for artificial flavors.

But this blend is fantastic!

High quality leaf with just the right amount of Latakia. All ingredients are perfectly blended. Creamy and nutty smoke, easy to light and smoke. There is nothing to add to tin description!

Although my preferences are English, Balkan and Virginias, I must confess I crave for Button Bay.

It's not easy to get american tobacco to Germany. Thanks to Mr Gottlieb, he's a outstanding and reliable dealer.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (129)
Medium Strong Overwhelming Pleasant

I find that even with this blend being overly dried out that it remains pretty much what I have written below. The only thing that has happened is that it has mellowed out to be barely smokeable. This will be going into the trash bin presently. Original review: After smoking several pipes of this blend, I find that it is too much on the spicy/peppery side for my taste. It simply overpowers the smoking experience. I am very surprised because I have another blend from the fine folks of 4noggins.com that is simply wonderful. Maybe it needs to be aged a little more to settle it down. I shall re-visit this in a month or so to see how it is then.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

I'm singing with the chorus:good,inexpensive and addictive tobacco! Mr.Gottlieb do it different,without doubt. Beautiful bits of tobacco leaf are floating in there;how the blender come to such a result is beyond mewhenever I finished a bowl,I want more! Bravo!

irishpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishpiper (8)

This blend shines in its subtleness of taste and aroma. Pulled a jar from my cabinet this evening that's been sealed up for a year. Wonderful sweet-nutty aroma upon opening. Easy to light, and smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Hints of sweetness, hardwood smoke and a touch of spice lingering on my tongue and in the air around me. A very mild-richness, and pleasant from start to finish - easily an all day smoke. Thank you 4noggins for yet another truly enjoyable blend. Highly recommended.