Three types of Virginia tobaccos, blended with a good amount of Perique, make Prairie Wind easy burning, well balanced, and cool on the palate. A wonderful VaPer for an all day smoke.

Brand4noggins
None Detected, Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
3.4

I bought this expecting something similar to Louisiana Red for a little variety. This has less perique to me, and there is a little more sour in the profile. It tastes like a red Virginia with a topping I can't identify and a whiff of perique that doesn't really show up until the last half of the bowl.

I bought a pound of this with a pound of C&D Three Friars. The difference in volume was dramatic, and the reason was moisture. The Three Friars was at a perfect moisture content for me, and the Prairie Wind was very moist. It can be dried of course, but you are paying a premium for water.

This has been good but not great. I don't regret the purchase, and I will smoke it up, but for my money Louisiana Red is a better VaPer goto smoke.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I was sent a sample of this with my recent purchase from 4noggins. I assume it was because I ordered a lot of McClelland 5100. Smokers of 5100 will probably like this. It is simple, easy burning, and without a hint of bite. It says it contains perique, but I smoke a lot of Va/Pers and the perique is basically undetectable to my tastes. There is a hint of a topping that I don't love but don't mind.

Good solid tobacco. I will happily smoke the rest of the sample, but find it not enough more interesting than 5100 to make a change. Nonetheless 4 stars.

Pipe Used: New

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk No.5100 Red Cake.

I don't know what the topping is here, but a little less of it would improve the experience, and make this a four star blend rather than a three star one. It has the sweet and sour notes all the way through; more sweet than sour. The perique is earthy and spicy, with a hint of natural sweetness. The red Virginia adds to the sweetness and tones down the grassy, lightly sour taste of the other Virginias. I usually like my tobaccos with some moisture, but found that this one smokes better with some drying time. It's well mixed and has a consistent flavor all the way through to the end. I like it, but I don't love it.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I'm a non aromatic smoker with a love of English/Balkan blends. This tobacco surprised me in a very good way as my experience with perique had not been pleasant. I did not expect to like this one but the opposite is true. Now it is one of my favourite all day smokes. Real tobacco taste, the Virginias lead, with a subtle sweetness that perfectly matches the peppery perique.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with the below review, I too noticed a similarity with Hal o' The Wynd, with Prairie Wind being much lighter in the slightly (not sweet) caramel? taste front, and also the 'N' content. Seems to me that I could smoke this all day without complaint - just a nice VaPer that has enough striaght flavour and lightness to please many and not offend anyone.

oregonpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oregonpipe (13)

After a several-month sojourn into VAs and VA/pers I was looking for a nice bulk VA that I could keep on the shelf and load into a rollup pouch to have with me while out running errands, walking etc.. Something that I could fire up when the mood struck that didn't require any prep work beside tucking into the bowl. Rich at 4Ns was kind enough to send along a sample of PW with my last order. What we have here is a very light blend of several VAs with some perique added for a bit of zing. The pouch note does contain a hint of topping/casing/humectant? with a wiff of dried fruit. Frankly, I was a bit suspect of this before I fired it up. (I guess this is common in most of 4N blends. I don't know, but it is mentioned in other reviews). This does NOT carry through in the smoke, however. First impressions are a nice sweetness, light earthiness, with a little background spice. The most persistent flavor I noted was a kind of light cocoa. Now the best thing about this blend is what happens with the perique. It comes down on the spice rack from sharp pepper to something more akin to cinnamon, which suits me just fine. Perique, for my taste, can be overdone. Lots of changes down through the bowl: sweet, earthy, spicey. burns exceedingly well to a nice light gray ash. No goop, no soggy dottle even in a couple of my pipes which tend to smoke a tad wet. BUT, remember to give this some dry time ! My most lasting impression came a few hours after my last bowl of PW. It was after dinner and I lit up a bowl of Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd in a different pipe. And I was struck by a bit of deja vu. The similarity in profile to PW, only stronger, but exactly the same notes. So to my mind Prairie Wind comes across as a Hal o' the Wynd LIGHT. For me it's great. Check it out for yourself. And treat yourself to some outstanding service from 4 Noggins, too.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

This ambitious mixture by Richard, containing 3 types of Virginia (gold, red and brown), unfortunately contains enough Perique, for my tastes. Also, for me, the flavoring tends to be typical in all his mixtures. Something like the ketchup scent for the McClelland mixtures, but fortunately much more pleasant. I get a taste of chocolate and something else that I cannot recognize. Unfortunately the fact that it contains Perique, highly affecting the taste, will not permit any positive feedback for Prairie Wind on my behalf. That's ok though, as I really thrilled by Richard's other mixtures. The room note is very good.

newmission Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newmission (14)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Thanks Richard. What a joy it is to be able to talk to a tobac supplier on the phone and get recommendations that are solid and concise. After talking with Richard about SG-St. James Flake, he suggested that I try Prairie Wind. Now he clearly told me that its not a match to SJF, but it's a nice VA/PR mix that should please my palette. He was right, just a nice easy smoke with great 'old world' taste that can be smoked all day. Just a great all around good smoke. Thanks 4Noggins !

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)

This is my first venture into a Va/Pr blend. For me this tobacco is lightly sweet with a spicy top note that is very pleasing to my taste buds. It packs well, smokes to a fine ash, and leaves a great taste in your mouth when you are done. The pipe really takes off for me about mid pipe. I puff pretty hard instead of taking sips, and this tobacco never bit and tasted good the whole time. My wife actually said that it smells good too, so that is a plus. I also really like the customer service that comes from 4noggins.

Overall highly recommended, and some that I will be keeping in my cellar.

mkorbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mkorbas (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A well balanced tobacco, mild but tasteful, sweet but not treacly, with the generous amount of Perique definitely present but not overdosed, and with a very gentle room note. Recommended, without doubt. [All my reviews/ratings are based solely on my personal experience/taste].

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Funny how the taste of certain tobaccos can call up memories.

Have just finished the second (or is it the third pipe) of Prarie Wind from 4 Noggins. Very reminiscent of a tobacco that no longer exists. About 1974 or 75 I had the pleasure of smoking a can or three of "Mullingars Knockbrack". Then,of course, it disappeared becoming unavailable to nothing more than memory. Quite a shame too since it was a really nice tobacco.

Had forgotten about it until I smelled the aroma of Richard Gottlieb's "Prarie Wind". The first stirring of an old memory tape started playing.The first part plainly said "Knockbrack" and the Internet supplied the company name "Mullingar". A sort of a deja vue taste experience followed on lighting up for the first time.

I don't know what the tobacco consitiuents were at the time that Richard used or if there is any casing or whatever but this was as close as could be imagined to that lost blend though.

Richard's headnotes say that it is a Virginia-Perique misxture. I'm sure that's true from the taste and burn qualities. It doesn't say anything about casing but there surely must be some since this blend smokes unlike anything I have tried in that particular blend genre since the now-ecesed "Knockbrack".Exactly like it in fact.

Sum it up here:

Great taste, easy filling,easy lighting.non-goopish and cool burning (after a little drying out, that is)and a wonderful aroma or so my wife says. Sweet, yes but not overly sweet, to my taste and a really nice nostalgic change of pace. No discernable bite or nastiness of aftertaste and a fair price. For those "Knockbrack" smokers around in 1995 or 96 you might want to give this one a contemplative try as it does bring back memories of a long-extinct very pleasant blend. For those not around then you may want to try it for the new memories it is capable of generating.

A small word of warning to those expecting a traditional unflavored Virginia Perique mixture. This is not like the more conservative British or even American blends and tends a little more towards the Danish versions of that type of blend. This in my opinion is very nice for a change of pace and a "little something different without being too outre. This is a very well done mixture that I'm sure it will improve even more with a little age and patience on the part of the smokers.

As Bob hope used to say "Thanks for the memories" Richard. Appreciate the skill of blending and the professional attitide of your establishment.

----The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (10)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a great tobacco if you enjoy VA's and I do. This tobacco is easy to pack and once dried for a short period of time it lit easily and stayed lit. Its sweet, citrus note appeals to me and the perique is there, but only as a condiment and only hints of occur when smoke is exhaled via the nose. The perique is not strong and is not over powering in this blend. I believe this tobacco will be even better if you have the patience and discipline to celler it for a year, two or more. The sweetness of the tobacco dissapears when you DGT this tobacco, the VA taste and perique intensifies but still tolerable. I highly recommend it to lovers of VA's. This is a tasty sweet tobacco which I need to order some more of :)

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

A generous sample from an order some time ago. Thank You Rich. Pouch aroma is a tangy, pleasantly acidic pure Virginia with some grassy notes. Given the name, I was expecting something that came from the southern end of north bound bovine, but this stuff smells great! A bit of drying time, into a trusty Rhodesian and off we went for a wonderful late summer afternoon smoke. Very refreshing with its bright flavors, but with some very good foundation flavors. The Perique was just perfect. A good nose tickle and some peppery flavors dancing about, but not so much as others of the genre. I'm a Perique junkie, so I could have enjoyed more Louisianna leaf, but I sure didn't miss it. Very nice.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I am very happy with the fact that 4Noggins are now listed on this site, they are my new supplier and Richard is a fantastic guy from whom i have recieved exellent service.

When i recieved the sample from 4Noggins, i sniffed the little bag and thought that it smelled a lot like Anniversary Cake ( a blend i do not really care for ) It was only recently that i lay the contents on a baking sheet to dry out. Again i was still convinced that this blend is gonna be identical to AC.

Upon the first few puffs this blend still resembles Anniversary Cake to the extent that i thought it was the same blend sold under a different name. As i smoked it, it became clear that this blend is much better and much more suited to my tastes.

The Perique is there but not overpowering, it tasted like McCranies Red Ribbon with a bit of Perique added, just the right amount. I assume other smokers will appreciate this and recommend it.

Mo, South Africa

Another 1 oz sample from 4noggins. Deep mahogany in color with a tin nose of virginia covered in some sort of artificial sauce. No mention of this from the blender, so I'm not sure what's up. Smoked in a full bent pipe with the bowl smoke reaching my nostrils, this smelled more like a light aromatic than a VaPer. The perique that is listed as being heavier than Alamosa was there but I felt it was more on the lighter side. Then again, I usually prefer a heavier dose, so perhaps I'm immune to the lighter ones.

The virginia in this seemed fine but that casing ruined it for me. It wasn't bad tasting, and if I were reviewing objectively, I'd probably give this three stars. But for my subjective taste, aromatic sauce this heavy has no place in a VaPer. It wasn't nearly as heavy as your average goopy aromatic, but it was a bit too noticeable. It was kind of a hazelnut/vanilla something or other... the smell was like something from a fancy coffee shop. Not bad, but better served elsewhere. Of course, I only smoked an ounce, so perhaps my sample got a bit heavier dose than usual - hard to say at this point. But after smoking and enjoying Alamosa, this one was a disappointment.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (16)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I received an ample sample of this tobacco from Rich. I've already ordered 8oz and will order lots more. I enjoy the sweetness of the virginias with the peppery shadow of perique being just what the docter ordered. As soon as I've hoarded enough of this, it will become my allday smoke.

This is the perfect Va-Per for me!!

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a sample of this with a tobacco order I put in with 4Noggins, and have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this one. It has the smooth sweetness of a well aged VaPer. The tin aroma hits you with a bit of vanilla, but the aroma does not come through in the smoke with nearly the intensity you expect. I am definitely going to get some of this with my next order.

chibacity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chibacity (2)

Rich was kind enough to add a sample of this to a recent order from 4noggins. Also in this order was a pound of St. James Flake, which has been sitting idle while I enjoy this Prairie Wind. An excellent smoke all around. It does need a little drying, as the other reviewers have noted. But I'll be ordering more.

Mundungus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mundungus (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Prairie Wind is a good, if not great, Va/Per. My benchmark (to aid in your contextualization) is McClelland?s St. James Woods, which has all the intoxicating joys of the best virginias plus that sweet/sour virginia/perique thing going for it. PW benefits by some time on your drying pan?I?ve left it from 30 min to close on an hour. Lights easily, burns smoothly, and is a good companion. Not scintillating company, perhaps, but makes you glad you?re a smoaker. Hats off to Rich at 4noggins for another good entry.

Dennis72 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dennis72 (1)

A good amount of Red Virginia in this well-balanced blend gives you a pleasant, smooth tasteful smoke with some creamy background feeling. Right moisture level, easy to pack and to lite. A good choice for a Natural Virginia blends lover who was tired from SG "Lakeland sauce". A one-week delivery from US looks absolutely incredible. Thanks Rich!