A true Balkan with the main note being Orientals, a nice proportion of Latakia with Turkish on a base of Red, Bright & Flake Virginias, and a slight hint of Vanilla. A classic Balkan. Full but not overpowering.

Brand4noggins
Taste

3.4
SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

At first light this tobacco is sweet with a very faint vanilla flavor. This is a very smooth smoke and I get almost a bit of a nutty after note, I get no bite. Very enjoyable to smoke. Smokes nicely throughout the bowl. It smokes on the medium side. There is no bite at all. I really enjoyed this blend. The vanilla adds a really nice touch for anyone looking for a different kind of Balkan.

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Over a year ago when buying some GL Pease blends from 4noggins and after going on reviews read here I decided to give Britts a try. I bought 8oz, gave 4oz to a friend and cellard my share in a large mason jar. I did give it a go right off the bat but felt it could benefit from some aging. 8 months later it was a joy to smoke after a long day. When opening my jar the first thing that you pick up on is smokey Latakia in the blend. Its not overpowering but is the frontrunner in the blend followed close behind by Orientals. Britts burns dry and cool and ive never have had gurgle, a hot pipe and never any bite. For some reason I have never been able to pick up on the vanilla that has been talked about so much. Im not an every day smoker but this is a blend that i would consider an every day smoke. Solid 3.

voodoochile62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
voodoochile62 (2)

I'm very impressed with this bulk offering from 4noggins. This is the best Balkan blend I've come across. The cut is somewhere between a shag and ribbon, beautiful coloring. It arrived just a tad moist, but, because of the thin ribbon cut, was perfect to smoke with just a few minutes of drying time. The aroma is one of fine Orientals and Latakia, with just a hint of vanilla from the Cavendish. This was my biggest concern when ordering 8 oz. without ever having tried it (something I rarely do). How would the slight vanilla flavoring affect my enjoyment of this blend? Well, I shouldn't have worried; it's pure bliss! It stays well in the background, smoothing out the Orientals and adding a wonderful sweetness to the room note. It packs and lights like a dream, needing virtually no relights, and burns to the bottom of the bowl leaving a wonderful white ash with little or no dottle. Because of the thin ribbon cut, it can burn more quickly than other coarser cut blends, so take your time and enjoy it. The Virginias are top- notch and add another dimension of sweetness along with the Cavendish. This is now one of my "go to" blends, and I'll soon be placing another order for a pound of this remarkable leaf. Four stars, without a doubt! Grab some and try it yourself!

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I really can't improve on what Steel Cowboy said. He nailed it.

Amazingly well composed blend. Extra creamy. Surprisingly solid latakia presence here. Like any good English or Balkan the latakia should carry the day and it does. But the slight hint of vanilla makes it all work.

Excellent mouth feel. No bite at all. (I'm smoking soem now and it's excellent despite a slightly sore tongue from yesterday's bender.

Unlike Steel Cowboy I found it burned well right out of the bag the first time but it smokes equally as well after dried a bit just from opening and closing the bag.

I simply don't see how someone could not fall in love with this stuff. You really owe it to yourself to try it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A Balkan with a hint of vanilla? You Bet! This is one fine weed. At first blush, I thought that this blend from 4 Noggins was good, but not great. After a couple of months in a jar, I took it out for another try and boy, I'm glad I did. The hint of vanilla serves to just take the edge off and smooth out this cool burning blend. Everything just works well together here. I could understand why a "Balkan Purist" may be reluctant to try Britts because of the vanilla, but I suggest a small investment in a couple of ounces and see where it takes you. Britt's arrives a bit moist and I think it smokes best on the dry side. Britt's offers a nice complement to my other Balkan favorites without really straying off the farm. Highly recommended.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

After several bowls in different pipes, I gave up on this blend. The pain to pleasure ratio was too much. Even after drying it to a crunchy consistency it bit for two thirds of the way down the bowl. I seem to have this problem with all "ribbon cut" (shag) mixtures. Maybe after a year of aging I'll try again.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Truly an outstanding smoke. All the components are of high quality. The key feature for me is the addition of the vanilla topping. It combines with the Orientals to create a fairly strong floral note that really makes this blend. There is also a gentle sweetness that is present from beginning to end. One of the best Balkan blends I've smoked. Mild to medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. A real treat.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

Purchased From: 4noggins

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Creamy smoke loaded with Oriental flavours and a pinch (very, very light) of something sweet (can't tell its vanilla , just a sweet taste) ! Rich is an amazing blender!

Pipe Used: Radice Morta , Radice Rind

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

Kremlin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kremlin (3)

If you take a Caol Ila and add Coke, you can't keep calling it Caol Ila... You should call it Cola Ila ...

Here, IMHO, it's more or less the same story... Very good tobacco, a good flavoring (indeed, not overwhelming) easy to lit and easy to smoke... but i can't call it a Balkan blend, let alone call it a true balkan.

Again, i would give 3 stars to this blend if the vanilla was not so present or if Rich Gottlieb called it Britt's Balkanilla :)

All that said, if you like SG Perfection and stuff like that, you'll enjoy 4noggins offer, as well.

Mac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mac (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have had this one in a jar for over a year.A fantastic Balkan blend that is well worth seeking out.This with Essence Of Vermont also from 4Noggins are in my top ten tobaccos.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I'll make this short and sweet. This is one of the best Balkans made period. Full of flavor from beginning to end with a slight smooth touch of vanilla to keep your interest. Outstanding! I just wish it came in a tin for ease of storing.

Update: 2-24-13, Just opened up another 4oz to confirm my liking...a solid winner! I dare say better than that unmentioned Balkan standard of old.

pipeshomer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeshomer (4)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a great smoke! I need to stop buying from 4noggins because everytime I get some samples with my orders I find yet another blend to stock up on. This is a very robust but easy-to-smoke blend. After at least a dozen bowls I have yet to experience even a hint of bite. I rate the nicotine hit as moderate and the flavor as full and textured. With each puff I detect 3 distinct 'layers' - first a rich, warmly soothing wave of smoke followed by a milder, cooler layer and, lastly, a tongue-tingling (not biting) follow-up. The last is what I experience with blends containing Perique, which this does not list. As soon as the tingling subsides I go for another hit; it's like a built-in timer. All subjective and individualistic, of course, but I really like this tobacco and it has rapidly become one of my favorites. It is perfect after a heavy meal or with a cup of strong coffee. Give it a try or request this as a sample with a purchase from 4noggins.com. Disclaimer: I have nothing whatever to do with 4noggins.com except that I purchase from them now and then and am increasingly intrigued by their house blends.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

A full, rich Balkan style blend that seems to be similar to Samuel Gawith's Perfection (one of my absolute favorites). I can't say anything critical except I thought the vanilla note was a little much before letting it dry up a bit. Weeks later, after nearing the "buttered toast" point, it is near Perfection (no pun intended). BB is a very good, layered, full smoke that is at its best when you haven't smoked in a while. Try it and you'll know what I mean. There is enough nicotine to remind you why BB is not for the faint of heart, but not enough for a dizzy spell. The room note is pleasant with the vanilla, so the wife might like it, too. I enjoy this tobacco very much when I'm in the mood for a complex-ish smoke. Even though I prefer SG Perfection due to more spice and tang, BB is a well rounded, appropriate substitute.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Loved it! my favorite Balkan at the moment. The hint of vanilla is very mild and not overpowering at all, in fact you may not taste/smell it at all....but its there, mostly the first 1/3. I think the vanilla improves the room note for others (if that's important??) while some other Balkan/English blends might make them move away. This blend plays the game very well, burns well leaving white ash and NO GOOP! Nic level is right where I like it, pretty strong but you can smoke a few of these little beauties a day if you desire. Some drying maybe required a few hours prior to puffin',depending on the moisture content, and if you bought it in 8oz baggy like me, get it in a sealed humidor asap. Cheers & Happy New Years

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Based on the other reviews I have to wonder whether what I received had been poorly blended. What I got to smoke did not have a hint of vanilla, it reeked of vanilla. What little sweetness there was to the VA. was overwhelmed by the flavor additive. There was no apparent spicy, incense qualities to what ever Turkish and Oriental tobaccos in the blend. To call what I got a Balkan is a misnomer. I tried cutting it 1 part Britt's to 4 parts Stokkebye Balkan Supreme and it still reeked of vanilla. This was an aromatic not a Balkan. I'm not sure why a Balkan should need any additional flavors added anyway.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)

Very nice, but a little monotone.

Standard good quality English with a very smooth and creamy delivery of the standard fare, and then in the back is just enough vanilla to add a tinge of sweetness and make this a crossover.

The English continues to evolve as the smoke goes on, the vanilla stays the same, so in essence it develops as it goes on, but not enough to stay interesting and it feels a little gimmicky at the end.

Still, very nice and smooth, and an interesting smoke.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I definately have a sensitive palate especially concerning tobacco pH, beit cigars or pipes.

This blend is a tad too alkaline for my liking; numbing the palate akin to baccy bite. Although it remains somewhat smokable I'm certain not tasting the full spectrum of this blend. Apart from that the bag aroma is very good, packs and burns very well. Alas I cannot recommend it since the combustion expereince is not enjoyable. This bag will be yet another donation to the baccy library at our local clubs haunt where I'm sure others will gladly partake and enjoy.

AlexL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AlexL (26)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is interesting mix that should be treated with all due respect because of its strength. I recommend giving this one a test run.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

This is excelent Balkan Mixture,

however, may be smoked slowly and in small ammount since may charged in Nicotine (as Presbyterian).

Latakia is slighly dominant over the Orientals.

Although the comparison is not rigorous (since some are Balkan Mixtures and other are English mixtures) between the 4 Stars reviewed by me, this is the third favorite:

1) Chipman Hill 2) Penzance 4) Britt's Balkan 4) Bald Headed Teacher

Even better than Balkan Supreme, Altadis similar 965,Presbyterian and Three Blind Moose.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

I really enjoy the room note of this tobacco and my wife likes it too, but I have to agree with the review from Punchy farther down - the pain to pleasure ratio for me with this blend is too far out of balance. I've tried in multiple pipes, varying degrees of drying out, drawing very carefully, and still consistently get a bite from this blend. This one's not for me.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A surprising twist on an English-style blend. A 4Noggins house blend, I received a sample of this. Great that 4Noggins will send a sample of any of their house blends upon request with any order placed.

My sample arrived at just about the right moisture level. loads and lights easily and stays lit. Slow burning, no gurgle and no bite. The Virginia does come through but sting is tempered by the other components. I tasted no vanilla, but the room note does have just a slight, pleasant sweetness to it, which makes the typical "burning rubber" smell of latakia much more tolerable, and also perhaps due to the quantity of latakia in it vis a vis the amount of oriental.

A "full" classic Balkan? I'm not sure I'd go that far. Another house blend Balkan I keep in my rotation, Blatter's Reserve, is a whole lot "fuller", and tastier than this blend or even P.S. Balkan Supreme, for that matter, which I rated as wimpy. But I don't think this blend is intended to be an intense Balkan, rather, an easy-going, friendly English with a nice twist.

If I could compare it to another brand, it reminded me of a milder version of Blatter's Oriental Pleasure (very nice) and Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme (far from supreme) with a nice accoutrement.

An all-day smoke? Well, I think more than a couple of bowls in a day may just eventually sting the tongue somewhat, but it is absolutely delightful to smoke daily, for sure. I love it!

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (53)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Too much vanilla! Smells like a Balkan blend with a vanilla topping/casing. Upon first light, my initial impression...too much vanilla flavoring. Other than that...not bad. The flavoring hangs in there throughout the entire bowl. I was hoping the vanilla taste would subside and leave a more Balkan-like flavor in the smoke.

Well, FWIW & IMHO, just a tiny pinch of vanilla might have worked better. Excessive amounts of vanilla flavoring doesn't work well in this Balkan. I decided to sample this because the description stated a "slight hint" of vanilla. That "slight hint" was overwhelming to me. It could have been a very good Balkan but instead, this is simply an above average aromatic. 2.4 stars.

incoinnu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incoinnu (6)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like the complexity of this blend, there are subtle flavors that I can detect but do not over power. BB is a regular in my rotation and has replaced SG's Perfection. An enjoyable blend at a good price !

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Great great great magic Rich!

I've never smoked anything with a taste so unique. I do not want to add adjectives, just say, get pleasantly surprised by this masterpiece! I suggest in pipe with large capacity.

When dawn embraces the sunset....... in the sky........ there is something special ---------yes .... special!

thaimatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thaimatt (3)

IMHO Rich Gottlieb is a extraordinary blender. This is the third blend of his that I have tried and it, like the others, is balanced to perfection. Everything about this blend works with the unusual addition of a hint of vanilla elevating the tobacco to the level of a sure future classic smoke. Three of my top five tobaccos are now from Rich at 4noggins! What else can I say except: This is why I smoke a pipe. Fantastic!

Judge Adams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Judge Adams (16)

Outstanding! Rich has blended a remarkable combination of woodsy English tobacco and just a dash of vanilla to smooth the smoke and scent the air. As an English smoker for over 40 years, this is the first blend I've discovered that fully delivers on taste without tongue bite or overheating. My wife loves the refined room note.It has quickly beome my everyday favorite. Go get some and you'll see what I mean!

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

An other very pleasent smoke from Rich of 4noggins. I ordered just 2oz but thankfuly my friend Alfami oredered for me an other 8oz and Lman an other 16oz.

An amazing BALKAN tobacco with enough portion of oriental and Latakia along with golden and red Virginia to make taste sweet. It also gives an indiscreet scent of vanila that for me makes great difference and makes me love this paricular tobacco. Perfect humidity, no tonque bite, easy bowl filling, you can smoke it all the way to the end and leaves a nice white ash. I smoke it pleasently, in smole portions so that it will not run out soon, all day long. It also leaves a very nice scent on the pipe it self.

It was the first time my wife didn't wine cause she coonfused latakia with vanila!

skippy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
skippy (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Purchased some 4 noggins for three blind moose and bald headed professor. This 4 oz filled out the box what a pleasant surprise i enjoy a balkan type blend but never understand what balken sobraines taste i am comparing it to. i used to smoke Sobraine and do not remember it being a classical smoke but i am older now and enjoyed this blend immensely. I was on the ocean and perhaps the salt air and the sights helped me appreicate it more but one of the most pleasant bowls i have had in quite some time the spice was just enough to let you know it was there and the latakia present but not overpowering

zierro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zierro (11)

For 30+ years I have added Vanilla Cavendish to my English/Balkan blends for an improved roomnote when social situations demanded it. This delightful blend is perfect. A nice taste and fullness with a delightful roomnote and presence. Clean burning and great tasting.

Mundungus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mundungus (7)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Fans of McClelland?s FROGGIE, listen up! When I got this as a sample from Rich Gottlieb, proprietor of 4Noggins.com, I gave the pouch aroma a ?pppfew, vanilla!? & set it down. Went back a few days later, tried a bowl, then went through the entire sample in the next 48 hrs. I had to wait ?til payday to order another 4oz. I used to smoak Balkan Sobaranie ?back in the day??not all the time, but I went through a fair number of the white tins. I have no idea whether or not this compares in any way to that--it?s just been too many years?but if any other smoaker can comment, I?m listening. I suspect the vanilla top-note makes it some kind of ?aromatic Balkan.? I call it ?Froggie in the Balkans??and I hate to use the ?if you like...? cliché, but there?s no way to get around it: if you like Frog Morton on the Town or Frog Morton Across the Pond, you just might love this. It will be part of my regular rotation, along with Frog/Pond, Frog/Town, Hal O'the Wynd, and St. James Flake.

eichenlaub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eichenlaub (13)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I recieved a free sample of this and liked it so much I ordered 16oz. Burns down to fine ash, easy to keep lit and I love the vanilla, though I usually stay away from anything even approaching an aromatic. I have been impressed with everything from Rich so far and this is probably the best.

Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Review based on 1/2 oz free sample.

Oriental flavored blend with little vanilla flavoring but not much, Nutty, dry and clean burning property, easy to pack and smoke, medium strength.Great tobacco!

I like this blend a lot, I need at least 4oz to evaluate and know a blend

I will be ordering some more.

irishpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishpiper (8)
Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favorite blend. Period. First tried this last December (2007), after having received a sample of it from Rich, along with an order from 4Noggins. Smoked my first bowl on a crisp, star filled night - on the patio, watching through the dining room windows as Mrs. Irishpiper strung lights on our Christmas tree. It was a magical, enchanting smoke. Perfect balance, pleasant to nose and tongue. Though I love and frequently smoke other, "heavier" latakia blends - this one became my "go to" blend. Fast forward to this past weekend. My supply of Britt's Balkan was getting low - only a few bowls left in a small mason jar. Hoping to save it and savor it - I searched through the other tins and jars in my tobacco cabinet - and - Saints preserve us! - I found a mason jar FULL of Britt's Balkan, tucked away, untouched since an order received in late Spring. The aroma upon release of the lid was rich, sweet, and nutty. The charring light filled the air with the aroma of toasted marshmellows over the campfire. As the bowl settled in, the latakias and virginias combined to provide a smooth, sweet, balanced taste - nutmeg to me, easy to light and keep lit, not too moist - not too dry. I highly recommend it to those of you who are English or Balkan fans! (It you're not - perhaps this one will change your mind!)

Archdeacon Grantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Archdeacon Grantly (4)

This is a very good English blend by the 4 Noggins folks. It is very flavorful without being harsh or strong. It has a touch of sweetness that is nice and does not make it an aromatic by any means. I received this as a free sample when I ordered some Dunhill 965 and Early Morning Pipe, and was frankly surprised at how well this compared to the Dunhill classics (or former classics as some believe).

I highly recommend and English smokers try this, especially if some of your English blends taste harsh. This compares favorably with GL Pease's Maltese Falcon.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

This is a truly great tobacco by Rich at 4noggins who has acquired his own reputation as a master blender by now.

Smells smokey and nice in the bag, but a bit moist to smoke right away .

A nice medium American English with a marked sweetness not unlike Frog Morton ATP. I thought I could detect some vanilla topping in the first puffs but it could have been ghosts in the bowl. A lot of nuttiness towards the end of the bowl and that slight irritation in the tongue root that I get from Burley told me this one has enough Vitamin N to make itself felt!

The Orientals makes this a great smoke, a nutty earthinees that (almost) convinces me there must be Burley in this one (there is none) among the VA(Yellow Lemon? or Red? or both?) and enough Latakia to give that camp-fire smell and taste that I love so much.

A great smoke all in all, the BB is full and satisfying without being overwhelming. A perfect all-day smoke for the seasoned American English lover.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (69)

Aother bulk offering from Rich at 4noggins, one of the most friendly and trustworthy internet suppliers of pipe tobacco. Britt's Balkan is a very satisfying Balkan type of pipe tobacco, with a good balance between all the ingredients. While it does not stand out between similar offerings from other makers, it is nonetheless a solid and safe smoke.