4noggins.com

The old-fashioned burley taste comes through in full form, nutty and brisk, hitting on tangy notes along the way as the Virginia components catch on. There's just enough Latakia to provide no more than perhaps a seasoning effect.

Brand4noggins
Taste

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (4)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Ordered from 4noggins on the strength of others' reviews. At first I thought this was not going to be a happy ending. Wetness of the fine ribbon made it impossible to stay lit. However, upon drying beyond reasonable (open pouch left for hours) I discovered that it has promise. After a few weeks I would say this could be a keeper.

Burley flavour predominates, and there is a subtle vanilla presence that stays throughout the bowl. It is not overwhelming, and unlike the commercial over the counter blends, it does not seem to impart a vanilla ghost to the pipe (I am using Georg Jensen handmade Danish briar with a 9mm filter).

I have not been able to detect much Latakia - if anything, it is Virginia that makes an appearance later in the bowl.

Colour of the smoke indicated quite a bit of residual water vapour despite drying to the point of crunchiness - I will let it dry up a bit more before offering a lasting commitment. Can't fault the flavour or mildness. No bite once dried and smoked gently.

Walker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Walker (1)

Out of about three dozen tobaccos I've smoked over the last fifteen plus years, this is my all time favorite. I used to worship at the alter of Sam Gawith, but now, it's 'Sam who?'

This weed is good any time of day in any weather, inside our out, when you need a lift or just want to sit and cogitate. I can also smoke it when agitated without over-dosing or burning my mouth.

Before I ran into this I was sure I was an Old Virginie, latakia and Perique smoker or nothing. I figured burley was for beginners starting out with drug store stuff or old coots who got their baccy off the back forty. I was wrong.

I also really like that this stuff has awakened the Thoreau in me, as I don't have to be messin' with all kinds of different blends to keep interested. Simplicity=BHT, my one and only.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a reincarnation of the old Barking Dog if my taste buds serve me correctly. Perhaps a little more power in the strength department. A cool burning blend with a touch of something extra (perhaps the Virginia component?) that makes this blend more than just a little special.

Lono Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lono (5)

I really can't add much beyond what other have already written. You have read the reviews, so go and try this blend. I am a fan of several 4noggins blends, and of the store and owner--really wonderful service and great products.

This is a good all day tobacco, and for those wishing for an introduction to blends utilizing Burley and Latakia, I think this is a great one to try.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco tough to classify. It really isn't an American style English, but doesn't fall solidly into the typical aromatic catogory either. It's somewhat sweet, but it burns clean and dry. I mainly smoke English/Balkan blends but I find myself coming back to this fine smoke as a wonderrful change of pace. One would really have to puff along to pull a tongue bite out of this fine blend. Like many of Rich's blends, this one's a winner.

CrowdedHouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CrowdedHouse (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review.I'm a relatively new pipe smoker.I have tried many of the recommended tobaccos on this great site.I may not be able to verbalise as you experts but I just have to say that this is a great smoke,by far my favourite so far.A wonderful nutty flavour,the only other tobacco I've tried that it reminds me of is Dunhill 965 I live outside the US but that's no problem to Rich - his and Gloria's personal service is second to none.I'm sure he'd send a sample if you ask.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Light flavoring/casing lends a pleasant smell in the bag. Light and fluffy, as all of the 4noggins blends seem to be. Rather moist. Best one of the 4noggins blends I have tried so far, but still lacking in overall taste. Will not rebuy.--2 more to go.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: all the other 4 noggins.

Lincolnsbark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lincolnsbark (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a phenomenal blend. I got my first taste of it from a free sample with another order. I love the light latakia flavor with hints of smokiness and rich smooth vanilla. This hits the spot when I crave a latakia blend without the full lat-bomb. Most notably about this blend is how everyone who smells it loves the room note. Rarely are people so excited to be in the same room as me as when I am smoking Bald Headed Teacher! I love the naming as well because it invokes an image that I equate to this delicious taste. I always let this blend dry a bit before packing and it burns well. This blend is especially good in a large bowl and given an hour or so to develop and burn through various intricacies.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: New and in Bag

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

cheapsk8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cheapsk8 (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I got the complimentary sample with an order from 4Noggins. At first, I loved the tin note. I could smell Vanilla in the background even though it isn't listed as having any.

I found this intriging as I wanted a baccy that I could smoke at the hunt camp without offending anyone.

The first 2 bowls I hated. It was too moist. I let the rest of the sample dry and by the 3rd bowl, I liked it enough to commit to 8 oz to give it a really good test.

I am half way through my 8 oz and here is what I find. But first let me say I generally DO NOT LIKE burly.

It is my new everyday baccy, WHEN THERE ARE OTHERS AROUND. I have gotten several compliments about the room note. I love the fact it packs well, stays lit, and usually ends up with very little dottle. The Lat levels fills my needs for a english flavor, but the vanilla flavor fades in and out so I find the flavor changes. Thinking I was crazy about sensing the vanilla as no one else mentions it, I was vindicated when I got a little "juice" from my straight pipe and got, well, vanilla. Maybe it is just the burly...but to me I get vanilla.

So in short I love the flavor changes naturally present in the bowl. One word of opinion: I jar 1.5 oz at a time to dip into and leave the rest in a larger jar. Before I top off the smaller jar I leave it sit 12-15 hours spread out on a plate to allow it to dry. Way too moist for me straight out of the bag.

I am halfway through my first 8 oz. I will be ordering another 8 within a month.

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I will just parrot what the previous two reviewers said. It is a delightfully pleasant tobacco. This is my first purchase of the stuff and it is perfect. A little latakia plus a very nice flavor of tobacco. Will buy again.

Grumpynuts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpynuts (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my first experience with Bald Headed Teacher. When I first opened the bag and took in the initial aroma I knew I was in for a treat. I was not disappointed. Smooth, no bite whatsoever, and the room note received a number of compliments. (One person even placed an order for some w/out smoking any.)

bxHELL piPeR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bxHELL piPeR (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

just smoked my second bowl of this and i'm delighted. in some ways it reminds me quite a bit of mcclellands frog morton series, which i'm a big fan of. has that same sweet/tangy incense thing going on. my next order will be a 16oz. great no nonsens baccy for a very good price.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this as a free sample from 4Noggins with my first order from the same. I was highly impressed with the speed at which they shipped my order and, of course, throwing in free samples is always a nice touch. I see myself buying a lot more from them in the future.

On to the tobacco itself. I don't think it would be too fair to rate this low as I didn't have the opportunity to smoke enough to form a proper opinion and since it didn't cost me anything, that would just be in poor form. So this opinion may not be too helpful.

I did find the blend to have a bit of a topping as there was sweetness from something and it was not a virginia sweetness, rather a vanilla type sweetness, perhaps the burleys are cavendish processed. Because that was my immediate thoughts. I don't typically like too much sweet with a lat blend, but didn't mind this one too much.

I feel this falls in the american english or scottish genre. There are others that I, no doubt, prefer over this blend, but I did enjoy it, particularly in my Meer.

tatersalad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tatersalad (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

Bald Headed Teacher is definitely in my top 3 tobaccos. Not overwhelming in any way, good flavor and aroma, satisfying nicotine content.

I've ready several reviews that call this an aromatic, but I can detect no casing. Not particularly sweet either, just good burly flavor with a touch of Va and a bit of Latakia.

A great smoke pretty much any time of day, hard to go wrong with Bald Headed Teacher.

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I like aromatics but received this as a sample from 4noggins with my order and I was pleasantly surprised. Every once in awhile I like to try or smoke something besides aromatics. I'm a newbie pipe smoker but since I started I have come a long way in my taste buds for tobacco. If I would have received this when I started I would not have liked it. The aroma and taste are medium to full but it's very tasty and pleasant. I would actually order this! Definitely recommend for those that like English type blends or non aromatic.

Ok I plugged in my review then read what some others said about it and I'm confused...apparently this is an aromatic but to me it's not what I think of...generally I think of aromatics as being sweet but this is to me like an English blend so I will have to revisit because some reviews mention chocolate! seems like a completely different thing to what I smoked. Anyway worth a try.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

i received this as a complement from Rich, in one of my orders.I had my share of english, balkans and orientals however, for the time being i am an avid aromatic smoker but truth to be said i enjoyed this blend thoroughly. it has the perfect proportions to make it a smooth smoke that wont knock you off your heel neither it make you sick like many bold blends ive tried before. rounded taste with burly nuttiness in the front and the seasonings added complemented the blend so well to call it an all day smoke. (is it a crowd pleaser? i dont think so).

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

This tobacco packs and lights reasonably well and has a pleasant room note. The flavors are nice although a little on the weak side. Unfortunately something in this blend consistently irritates my mouth - from my experience with other blends I am guessing it is the Burley or the grade of Burley used. For that reason I won't be finishing the sample I bought. Two stars.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A well combined, well complex Tobacco. only a bit of Latakia taste. Slighly pepper residual taste. Its is not for the fans of Latakia, but people that enjoy non aromatic mixtures will love it. High quality tobacco. Commenting about MacQueen oppinion: No, Balded Headed Teacher is it not an aromatic tobacco, since aromatics are sweet and contains sugar and Cavendish Tobacco, and this not. their slighly sweetness is natural from Virginia. Also it is not a complete English Mixture, since english mixtures combines Oriental Tobaccos with Latakia. The best manner to describe Bald Headed Teacher is a Burley-Virginia blend flavourized with some Latakia tobacco

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

What a flatline this is.Mild all the way down and where's the latakia ? Somebody said to me that it gets better with time.I can't see how but i will come back again.Somewhat recommended for those who want an easy smoke..

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

You would never guess this from the description, but this blend is a full aromatic, and not a particularly good one. The pouch is redolent with the choco-vanilla aroma so common to aromatics and there is plenty of visible black and tan cavendish. The first smoke was extremely wet and bitey, so I left the pouch open for several weeks to dry things out. This improved the smoking characteristics, but it is completely bland. There is nothing "nutty and brisk" about this smoke. I do not taste any tobacco at all, just hot air. Very similar to Lane's HGL.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A few months back I ordered a pipe from the good folks at 4Noggins and they sent me some of this. I put it on top of my dresser and forgot about it. This evening I came across it and decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! This tobacco lit well and burned extremely well right down to the bottom of the bowl without a single re-light. It makes thick heavy plumes of smoke which I love. The burley and Virginias are of a very fine quality. The latakia comes through, but is very subtle. The first half of the bowl was quite sweet, then the sweetness gave way to nutty and leathery tastes. The sweetness returned toward the bottom of the bowl which was a nice surprise. This is a very cool and relaxing smoke with zero tongue bite. There's not a lot of nicotine which is fine with me. I will certainly smoke more of this.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, the first tobacco I've smoked in 3 months that has got past the "WIFE TEST", she actually said," that tobacco smells good". I think it has a vanilla topping that lasts the whole bowl,it's just a hint of flavoring, not overpowering. As I'm not an aromatic smoker, this one I can take with me for those public places. It doesn't stay lit real well but it also doesn't gurgle or bite. The predominate tobacco is burley seems to smoke a little sour. Nice crossover tobacco with the hint of Latakia. I'll keep some around for when friends come over.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Few weeks back I tore something in my left rotator cuff and was laid up for a bit in a sling. The two top things I do to comfort myself are to watch westerns and buy tobacco (If you don't count sex and drinking). I don't smoke more, don't smoke less either. You might have noticed Hollywood hasn't put out a lot of westerns lately. I couldn't very well go brick and mortar shopping. All my regular internet haunts were out of what I was looking for, so I stumbled over to 4Noggins. They had a few things I wanted in stock and one of those spend a hundred bucks get shipping free deals. It's more comforting to buy more tobacco than less right?

So I checked out this here site for reviews of 4noggins own blends. Y'all seem to love this stuff, and I understand why they inspire loyalty; friendly, quick, and competitively priced. BHT seemed to have a whole lot of four star reviews.

This is my first impression --- I let some air dry, not that it came real damp or anything, I just like things drier. I tried in a pipe I rarely use for first taste, a big old Willmer volcano, When I'm feeling snobbish or pretentious I like to take first tastes in a meerschaum or something tighter and more neutral, sort of like those fancy folks spitting out wine at the vineyard.

This blend is the closest I've smoked to an aromatic in a while, though I don't think it has a casing or if it does it's a, well, tobacco flavored casing. It's just really sweet and nutty, must be the burly they use. I was surprised to find myself liking it, liking it a lot. I barely noticed that the bowl made it all the way through Wyatt Earp with maybe two relights, no heat, and most importantly without getting boring.

It's a little too sweet to be an everyday smoke for me, but it's not something I'll find under the desk in a year and throw out either. I'm impressed with the blending skill, innovation and service at 4noggins. They also threw in a sample of button bay which smells a little too sweet too, but I'm willing to try anything from those guys. I'm giving it three stars cause I like these guys. Oh, and I'm on pain killers. Not that it doesn't deserve at least three stars, just that it's not my regular cup of tea.

T. Collin Francis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
T. Collin Francis (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoy aromatics as well as burleys and this is a little of both. A very enjoyable indoor smoke, has a very nice room note and gets nothing but compliments from my non smoking friends and relatives. It packs well and hasn't needed many re-tampings during the smoke. Funny though, it smokes dry in my regular pipes but got pretty wet toward the bottom of a churchwarden.

Nutty flavor without the soapy taste I get with other burley blends. The latakia is there for sure and I notice it more than perhaps many of the other reviewers.

Very enjoyable after dinner smoke.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)

Burley is the main player here, but you taste some Virginias and a very light Latakia smokiness, lightly cased this blend buns cool and its good any time of the day.

jdr2008 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdr2008 (4)

This particular blend came with a pipe I bought, When I opened the box I could smell the aroma of this blend which was strong and unusual to me having smoked PA and CH for awhile, I didnt touch it for a week, Then I loaded up the pipe and lit up, I got through the first bowl and It was very good, It had a sweet and tangy taste along with the burley and something else that had a strong aftertaste when I finished, I found out that was the small amount of latakia that is blended in, after the second bowl it was on then, This blend packs and lights well, smokes well and tastes great with no bite, I highly recommend this blend even to the beginner who would like to ease into the latakia road, In fact I would recommened it for the new pipe smoker.

BradS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BradS (22)

Smooth, no bite, flavorful, very enjoyable. I'll be adding it to my regular rotation.

HappyOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HappyOne (9)

I wasn't sure what to expect from the reviews except a really nice tobacco- I agree. Subtle flavours that develop through the bowl. I can see smoking this anytime of day.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Great blend. Very satisfying smoke that gets better the more you smoke as you discover the flavors. So subtle. Hard to describe without it sounding gross...I mean, how can you love a nutty flavor coupled with some sweetness & that fantastic (very very very sparingly used) lat? Still, I cannot recommend highly enough. Added bonus: non-smokers in my home comment on how good it smells!

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Excellent blend by Rich. Upon first light I am greeted by the warm mellow burleys that occasionally zest into the tang and sweetness of the Virginia, or the smokiness of the Latakia. While the burley definitely takes the main stage in this one, its nice that it lets the other tobaccos get a word in edgewise.

isayoldchap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
isayoldchap (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be a very harmonious blend overall. A very enjoyable and relaxing smoke.

The burley is the most prominent flavor here, but is carefully balanced with the virginias and the modest sprinkling of latakia. I like the fact the latakia doesn't dominate like it does in so many other blends. For some it might lack a bit of punch or body, but for me, it was just about right.

I found if I puffed a bit too quickly that it did bite a little bit, but I suspect that it was because the tobacco may have still been a tad damp. A few minutes of drying on a paper towel might make all the difference.

There seems to be some kind of casing here, something that provides a sweetness in the aftertaste and aroma. It is quite nutty and sweet and brings out the virginias. The latakia is more evident in the smell than the taste as far as I could tell.

If you are an aromatics smoker and are looking for an easy going blend that is a cross over to an English blend, then this would be a great choice. It is not a genuine English, but it is more English than aromatic I would say.

I have only smoked two bowls thus far so I will come back and update after I have made my way through the rest of the pouch. But I can already recommend it on the strength of what I have tried so far.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)

I saw someone describe this somewhere as "easy going". I think that fits nicely.

Nice low maintenance, low key smoke. Definitely somethign I could see soemone smoking ans their all day every day.

Other comments here are in line with my thoughts.

A little nutty, a sweetness. Just barely enough latakia to remind you once in awhile. Otherwise easy to forget its' there.

Also it grows on you in a strange way. First time I smoked it I liked it but was on now way "wowed".

Next bowl...good stuff. Whatever. Nice enough blend. I'll certainly smoke up the 4 ozs I bought.

But as days went by I started realizing I was specifically craving the old BHT. Really a nice blend. Fills a niche.

I tend to smoke it as a first bowl of the day more than any other right now.

Very good stuff. I cant' imagine anyone outright hating this blend. Certainly worthy of a try for any pipe smoker who likes to explore and experiment with a variety of blends.

UPDATE: 11/29/10

My wife rarely comments one way or the other as to room note.

The other night, unsolicited, she said BHT "makes a nice smell". A glowing review in context.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

The predominant flavor of hazelnut and a subtle sweetness and light, characterizes this blend, and blend in the least that I received, I, taste of Latakia is very nearly (if not entirely) invisible. The color of this blend is a rather dark tone in general, not like the photo!! In general, almost all positive comments on this blend, there is something that I found. But honestly, after all the good reviews read here, I expected to be pleasantly surprised, which did not happen, because the same taste I found in other blends. One observation that I have to do is to take the reviews with relevant issues, by not later, unexpected surprises. If this blend can be seen that the majority agrees in its characteristics.

thaimatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thaimatt (3)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A little background first - I have been smoking pipes for about 4 years now. I live in Thailand and it been impossible to get anything but drugstore tobaccos (the best I have been able to acquire till now has been Sunday's Fantasy. Apart from that it has been all Captain Black Royal and Mac Barren's Mixture). However, ordering online from 4noggins was absolutely no problem - got to me from the US in 5 days. Don't ask me why I didn't think of that sooner!

Firstly, as soon as opened Bald Headed Teacher, I knew this was something completely different that anything I had experienced before. What is that delicious smoky-spicy smell - is that the latakia? I packed a pipe - MY GOD! what a smoke ... so ... so subtle and yet with all kinds of dreamy rememberances triggered by the smell, the flavors. I enjoyed my pipe smoking before. BUT this is something completely different. This is really - and I am not overstating it - a life changing experience. Wow, I never knew pipe smoking could be like this!

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)

Wow, a latakia blend that actually DOES use the latakia very sparingly, in balance, to add interest and dimension to the smoking experience, rather than dumping in gobs of the stuff to sledgehammer your palate into submission and drown out the other tobaccos. This is pretty tasty and interesting stuff, indeed, with a good combination and interplay of flavors. The smooth, nutty burleys are constantly in control of the blend, with tangy-sweet, sugary virginias pushing through mid-bowl. The smokey latakia is savory and always present, but never overpowering. Plenty of rich, creamy smoke, and burns cool and dry down to a fine ash. Well done. Three stars.

I should mention how I was introduced to this blend...I received a very small amount of this mixture randomly in a little baggie, as a free surprise/thank-you sample, when I purchased a pipe from 4noggins. Well, it worked. After enjoying a few bowls of this I promptly ordered a half pound, and will order more. Good move guys, samples are a pleasant treat, are far and away the best marketing, and of course it worked here! Thank you!

Update: This fine, cool-smoking, long-burning, easy-lighting mixture is essentially what you'd get if you mixed the good characteristics of McClelland's Deep Hollow with a helping of Pease's Samarra and threw in a smattering of McClelland's Tastemaster. Good stuff, very mellow and enjoyable.

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

I really cannot say enough good things about this blend, especially in light of the fact that I am not the world's biggest burley fan. BHT is what I call an aromatic-english and it falls on the light side of that scale. It is a flavorful, structured english-style smoke with just a hint of sweetness that gives it a certain roundness, rather than the usual sharpness I find in burley blends. To my taste the sweetness is just that, not necessarily a flavor, but rather the sweetness you would find in a good sweet tea. Sweet, but not cloying or syrupy. I think that this blend would appeal to both english and aromatic lovers with something to satisfy both enough to keep them coming back.

Tom S. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom S. (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A delightful blend with a good nutty flavor. BHT is an outstanding all-day smoke, especially for one who enjoys burley.

Boomer-Z Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boomer-Z (22)

I picked up 2oz of this tobacco because of the name. I am a somewhat balding eductator. I am glad I did. It smells great in the bag. It is easy to pack and stays lit. I love the creamy smoke this produces. I am a bit of a puffer and it hasn't bit me yet. The taste is mildly sweet with a bit of vanilla but nothing overpowering. I have smoked several bowls in a row doing things around the house and never felt a nicotine. This is a nice easy smoke to enjoy anytime of the day or all day. It might make a nice crossover for someone looking to try an aromatic to a less flavered tobacco or vice versa.

ENJOY!

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

With all the glowing reviews below, I decided to order a few ounces of this stuff. It does not come in a tin, as pictured above, but in a zip-lock plastic bag. However, the tobacco does appear as in the above photo - nothing to get excited about, really. I cannot make out what the very pleasing scent of the tobacco in the bag is, but to me it seems identical to "Shortcut to Mushrooms." But while I highly recommend Shortcut to Mushrooms, I cannot recommend this Baldheaded blend.

Maybe it's the burley. This stuff packs okay and lights well, but starts wanting to bite after it gets going. If you puff lightly, you will just barely sense a tiny nibble. Puff strongly and you'll feel it bite. After about one-third of the bowl, things heat up and it starts tasting lousy. Although it burns well, it made my pipe gurgle and left a lot of liquid in the bottom. And the aftertaste? Ick.

Mr.GysbertiHodenpyl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.GysbertiHodenpyl (2)

This is one of my favorites. Definitely a good all day smoke. Not too heavy and very interesting. Slightly sweet, but not too sweet like an aromatic. It's a natural sweetness, almost fruity, but still very much a natural tobacco taste. A nice amount of latakia, but not enough to satisfy a real latakia lover. Should definitely be tried.

Judge Adams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Judge Adams (16)

Somewhere along life's way you will dream about a walnut tobacco that is soft but tasty, burns evenly without scorching the tongue,and garners compliments which don't include words like cherry or apple. Real tobacco with a smoothness and natural flavor that aromatic and non-aromatic smokers alike can enjoy. This is it.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)

The description says it spot on. I can't add anything to the positive reviews listed below me here but wholehearted agreement. It passed the wife test with flying colors (which is always a good thing). The taste is excellent, so I can do nothing but highly recommend this fine blend from 4noggins.com's Rich Gottlieb. I plan on buying much more of this fine weed.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a relatively small sample. I smoked three bowls or so at various times over an extended period i.e. I did not smoke them back to back.

The flavor is pleasant, somewhat sweet. It burned relatively well and did not require a lot of effort to keep lit.

IMHO there's more than a "hint" of latakia in the mix, but it's definitely just a component, not a major factor.

My rating may go up to four stars with more smoking, but it's highly unlikely to go down. High quality tobacco blended carefully to get a desired effect.

UPDATE July 2009 Smoked a couple more bowls of this and it's nice but in this genre I think I prefer C&D Epiphany which is a bit more straightforward with less casing. Folks with a sweet tooth will probably prefer BHT.

UPDATE Jan 2010 Had a bowl this morning, and smoked a few over the last few weeks. It's sweet, and the casing definitely influences the flavor a lot. I prefer more natural tobacco, but this is a very interesting "crossover" blend i.e. very aromatic for an English, and for an aromatic, fairly well behaved in the pipe. Tends to smoke somewhat damp for me, but not terribly. I do prefer Epiphany but it's a totally different beast than BHT, not sure why I drew that comparison, except that I really like Epiphany!

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Just received my second pound of BHT from Rich. I first tried this when he sent me a small sample with another order a few months back.

Fantastic. The Latakia tastes sweet, not as it usually does. The burley tastes like burley, and the Virginias hide somewhere, but must contribute in some way, probably by toning down the Latakia. The funny thing is that you can taste all three separately and all three together.

All in all, a great blend that I suppose one could call "American" or "Americanised English", though I am not sure exactly where BHT or Harvest Moon, for that matter, fits. I think one could call it an aromatic non-aromatic, if that makes any sense. 4Noggins is doing a great job with these hybrid blends, and BHT would be my all day first choice smoke were it not that I want to save it for special occasions.

It sometimes has sticks in it, but they burn just as well as the leaves. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a change of pace from straight English or Balkans, and to anyone wanting something with a mild sweetness but without a fruity or vanilla taste.

Pipes530 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipes530 (8)

Excellent Excellenct Excellent!!! 4 stars & great anytime of day!

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This creation is genius.It's different from any other tobacco and talented blender Mr.Gottlieb should be tributed for with standing ovation. It pack well,it stay light,no special attentions required here. It can be smoked every time,everywhere; I get only compliments about BHT (apart from anti-smoke oriented persons;why,oh why they look at me like a poisoner?). Possibly,the most interesting aromatic around right now, for every tipology of piper. Thank you so match Mr.Gottlieb!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Burley based tobacco, semi sweet, the taste is crème caramel, dark chocolate, Nougat, nutty, bite free and soft on the palate, easy to pack and smoke mild with clean burning property.

Good quality tobacco with original taste and flavor, I enjoy this blend with morning coffee.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Absolutely delightful and unique Burley blend. The Latakia content is more than "just enough to provide...". In fact, it's very noticeable behind the Burley, but they're so well balanced that I wouldn't change one strand.

The flavoring is subtle and delicious, and this mixture has entered my Burley rotation along with Stonehaven and Aged Burley Flake. Totally different, but just as enjoyable.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Rich sent me a little sample as I purchased some Walnut which I love. This blows Walnut away. Absolutely wonderful. Can't say enough about this. Not sure what all it has in it, but there is definitely some nice stuff, so I'll go with what SMOKETSES says below. Anyway, it really combines into a wonderful thing. Just brilliant.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

The combination of Burley, Virginia and Latakia is very nice done in this one. The burley used is real quality stuff, as always in Rich's blends.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

After the first order, questions arose. After the second order, I was sure: This is a great tobacco. Burley in its best form, sweet red Virginia, smoked black Cavendish, all together with a small but perfectly balanced dose of Latakia, which gives that special taste without being too much. Dry, tasty tobacco, without any tongue bite of course. Nice natural aroma and a gentle room note. It has already climbed very high in my tobacco chart

BUT IT ALSO BECAME MY TOP ALL DAY TOBACCO.

greenasgrass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greenasgrass (2)

As with all 4noggins blends the discription was spot-on and it arrives ready to smoke

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

This very tasty blend consists of mainly burley with some virginia and a touch of Latakia, together with a semi sweet flavouring that is not overdone like a real aromatic can be. So no goopyness at the end of your bowl. I find this blend has much to recommend if you're into an all-day unpreposessing smoke, say a Carter Hall. but you want some more diversity in flavour, which the slight aromatic addition together with the touch of Latakia gives. And Rich of 4Noggins is a great guy to deal with as well!