The old-fashioned burley taste comes through in full form, nutty and brisk, hitting on tangy notes along the way as the Virginia components catch on. There's just enough Latakia to provide no more than perhaps a seasoning effect.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

The nutty, toasty, slightly molasses sweet burleys are the stars. The Virginia is lightly grassy, while the stoved Virginias are tangy, fruity sweet. The Cyprian latakia is a smokey, woodsy minor supporting player that amps up the strength and flavor. The blender claims there's no topping, so I can't figure out where the very mild vanilla comes from, or the extra fruitiness if what he said is accurate. Topping or casing, it tones down the tobacco taste just a mite. The mixture reminds me of old time American English blends like Barking Dog, Walnut, Revelation, and Fox and Hound, with richer flavor, strength and smoothness, and a bolder burley hit, though a little more aromatic. It may need some dry time. Burns well with no bite or harsh spots and a very smooth, consistent flavor. Requires few relights, and leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a mild nic-hit. The sweet after taste pleasantly lingers. It’s not quite an all day smoke, but it’s worth revisiting during the day. Three and a half stars.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Ordered from 4noggins on the strength of others' reviews. At first I thought this was not going to be a happy ending. Moisture content of the fine ribbon straight out of the pouch made it impossible to stay lit. However, upon drying beyond reasonable time (open pouch was left for days) I discovered that it has some promise. After a few weeks I thought this could be a keeper.

Lit easily when dry and stayed lit. Colour of the smoke indicated quite a bit of residual moisture despite drying the leaf almost to the point of crunchiness. Burley flavour predominates early on, and there is an almost vanilla-like gentle sweetness that stays throughout the bowl. It is not overwhelming, and unlike "proper" vanilla blends there is no vanilla ghost in the pipe (I am using Georg Jensen handmade Danish briar with a 9mm filter).

I have not been able to detect very much Latakia - if anything, it is somewhat complex flavour of mixed Virginia that becomes pronounced later in the bowl. Can't fault the flavour or mildness. No bite once dried and smoked gently.

Added comment almost a year later: I am growing unexpectedly fond of this fine honest no-nonsense blend, and will happily continue with it and with Owl's Head as my favourite non-aro blends. Both are made by Rich Gottlieb who seems to have a magic touch when it comes to choosing and blending seemingly unspectacular tobacco leaf into something out of this world.

Pipe Used: Georg Jensen briar with 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the pouch

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a reincarnation of the old Barking Dog if my taste buds serve me correctly. Perhaps a little more power in the strength department. A cool burning blend with a touch of something extra (perhaps the Virginia component?) that makes this blend more than just a little special.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco tough to classify. It really isn't an American style English, but doesn't fall solidly into the typical aromatic catogory either. It's somewhat sweet, but it burns clean and dry. I mainly smoke English/Balkan blends but I find myself coming back to this fine smoke as a wonderrful change of pace. One would really have to puff along to pull a tongue bite out of this fine blend. Like many of Rich's blends, this one's a winner.

Piper at The Gates of Brazil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper at The Gates of Brazil (1)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Hello, my warm greetings to the whole community.

This is my first posting. I am just starting in the world of pipes after a long cigar-exclusive period.

It all started in Turkey. I was strolling in the lush Sultanahmet neighborhood in Istabul (as a backpacking explorer in my college youth) when I noticed a peculiar corner store with eye-catching white pipes inside. I have never seem the like of them, and as I always buy a legitimate craft item from any of the (29 now) countries I visit, I opened the door.

I was told by the vendor that those were meerschaum pipes and that they were a very special type, made with a rock that is almost exclusively found in Turkey. Among the hundreds of impressive pipes, I chose a half-bent standard type decorated with small holes in different diameters. I loved the way it looked.

Before leaving turkey for Greece, I bought Captain Black Gold, the most expensive tobacco in a nearby shop. I smoked it in a cool night at the upper deck of a huge ferry taking me to Crete. I liked it, but it didn't ring any bells.

Then a 16-year pipeless period passed. Until a couple of months ago when my cigar tobacconist advised me to try a pipe with Dunhill's 965. 965 really opened my eyes. It was more complex than even my best cigars. It gave me a nice oral-fixation pleasure. It required attention to smoke properly and brought me to a profound contemplative state. I was hooked.

So, with the help of Rich from 4noggins, I started a battle with the sinister, unfair and ruthless Brazilian customs. Together, we won and now I have a world of interesting blends to explore.

Starting with BHT: I am not a fan of burley-heavy blends, but BHT is an exception, because it is so balanced. I get toast, a delicate, refined sweetness, and some misterious complexity from the nicely measured latakia. It smokes cool and I managed the humidity with a wood filter. Highly recommended.

Happy bowls for all,

Renato

Pipe Used: Savinelly churchwarden and others

Setzer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Setzer (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I really wanted to try this tobacco after reading all the positive reviews, so I decide to open a 2 oz. jar that I had in my "cellar". Upon opening it I was hit by a flavor of burley(that I usually hate) that made me immediatly skeptical about this tobacco, associating it with an alcoholical topping. The first charring light left me astonished, was I smoking an EM? That's impossibile, let me relight it and smoke it. No, it can't be real, I feel the smokiness of Latakia interplaying with the sweetness of Virginia, but it leaves my mouth completely fresh thanks to the burley! Where is the casing gone? It's fluctuating in the air with a hint of vanilla that only the non-smokers are noticing. This must be a sorcery! An aromatic disguised as an English Mixture! I recommend it to all the people that want something sweet but still interesting, even without the orientals, a bit of aging will compensate the lack. May need a bit of drying.

(P.S. I found it divine smoking it in a pipe in which I previously smoked some SG Commonwealth).

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob, Stanwell DM 1986, Savinelli Roma

Age When Smoked: 3.5 years

coolowlbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coolowlbro (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't get the appeal of this one. It's an aromatic, with all the biting goopy-ness that entails. Smells nice, tastes bad, won't stay lit. I couldn't finish one bowl and am tossing the rest of the sample.

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)

This is one of my go to blends any time of the day or night. The pouch note is captivating, the pack is easy, the charring light lets you know you are in for a wonderful experience and the pipe no matter how big, is never big enough once this magnificant blend gets going. Two thumbs up from pouch to ash at the bottom of the bowl. I highly.. highly recommend you try this.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent & Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 3 months old

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Nothing is like Bald Headed Teacher... Try It You Will Love IT !.

Lincolnsbark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lincolnsbark (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a phenomenal blend. I got my first taste of it from a free sample with another order. I love the light latakia flavor with hints of smokiness and rich smooth vanilla. This hits the spot when I crave a latakia blend without the full lat-bomb. Most notably about this blend is how everyone who smells it loves the room note. Rarely are people so excited to be in the same room as me as when I am smoking Bald Headed Teacher! I love the naming as well because it invokes an image that I equate to this delicious taste. I always let this blend dry a bit before packing and it burns well. This blend is especially good in a large bowl and given an hour or so to develop and burn through various intricacies.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: New and in Bag

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

cheapsk8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cheapsk8 (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I got the complimentary sample with an order from 4Noggins. At first, I loved the tin note. I could smell Vanilla in the background even though it isn't listed as having any.

I found this intriging as I wanted a baccy that I could smoke at the hunt camp without offending anyone.

The first 2 bowls I hated. It was too moist. I let the rest of the sample dry and by the 3rd bowl, I liked it enough to commit to 8 oz to give it a really good test.

I am half way through my 8 oz and here is what I find. But first let me say I generally DO NOT LIKE burly.

It is my new everyday baccy, WHEN THERE ARE OTHERS AROUND. I have gotten several compliments about the room note. I love the fact it packs well, stays lit, and usually ends up with very little dottle. The Lat levels fills my needs for a english flavor, but the vanilla flavor fades in and out so I find the flavor changes. Thinking I was crazy about sensing the vanilla as no one else mentions it, I was vindicated when I got a little "juice" from my straight pipe and got, well, vanilla. Maybe it is just the burly...but to me I get vanilla.

So in short I love the flavor changes naturally present in the bowl. One word of opinion: I jar 1.5 oz at a time to dip into and leave the rest in a larger jar. Before I top off the smaller jar I leave it sit 12-15 hours spread out on a plate to allow it to dry. Way too moist for me straight out of the bag. (Edit) I have not had the issue wih the baccy being too moist to this degree in my last 3 orders. I only dry 1-2 hours with the newer batches. The last batch almost had an artificial banana smell over the vanilla. Sounds weird, but sure smells nice, and same great taste.(end of edit)

I am halfway through my first 8 oz. I will be ordering another 8 within a month.

(second edit) I have discovered this has become my "go to" blend. Smoking amidst mixed company, mowing the lawn, walking the grouse thickets, strolling in the park I reach first for this baccy unless my craving is for something specific like a good Lat blend or other. This tobacco is always polite, mild in the N department(N is NOT why I smoke), stays lit, little dottle and no bite(for me). It is also the only baccy I have 2 pipes dedicated too. A nording freehand and a well mannered Stanwell 103. I do prefer it in a billiard stye bowl as opposed to the dublin, as I find the dublin looses sweetness near the bottom half. I have tried it in a Sav 111 and am thinking of re dedicating the Nording to a baccy better suited to that style bowl as the tast in the larger, straight sided bowl of the Sav maintains sweetness better.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this as a free sample from 4Noggins with my first order from the same. I was highly impressed with the speed at which they shipped my order and, of course, throwing in free samples is always a nice touch. I see myself buying a lot more from them in the future.

On to the tobacco itself. I don't think it would be too fair to rate this low as I didn't have the opportunity to smoke enough to form a proper opinion and since it didn't cost me anything, that would just be in poor form. So this opinion may not be too helpful.

I did find the blend to have a bit of a topping as there was sweetness from something and it was not a virginia sweetness, rather a vanilla type sweetness, perhaps the burleys are cavendish processed. Because that was my immediate thoughts. I don't typically like too much sweet with a lat blend, but didn't mind this one too much.

I feel this falls in the american english or scottish genre. There are others that I, no doubt, prefer over this blend, but I did enjoy it, particularly in my Meer.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

With all the glowing reviews below, I decided to order a few ounces of this stuff. It does not come in a tin, as pictured above, but in a zip-lock plastic bag. However, the tobacco does appear as in the above photo - nothing to get excited about, really. I cannot make out what the very pleasing scent of the tobacco in the bag is, but to me it seems identical to "Shortcut to Mushrooms." But while I highly recommend Shortcut to Mushrooms, I cannot recommend this Baldheaded blend.

Maybe it's the burley. This stuff packs okay and lights well, but starts wanting to bite after it gets going. If you puff lightly, you will just barely sense a tiny nibble. Puff strongly and you'll feel it bite. After about one-third of the bowl, things heat up and it starts tasting lousy. Although it burns well, it made my pipe gurgle and left a lot of liquid in the bottom. And the aftertaste? Ick.

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (17)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Absolutely lovely blend. If you like Burley blends this is a must try. The Latakia does not overpower, instead it adds a nuance that is delightful and very different from anything else I have tried. I ordered this with a few other 4Noggins blends and it was by far my favorite (Down By The River being my #2 favorite of the bunch). I just ordered a larger order of BHT to keep on hand.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Nothing else I've tried!.

Really nice tasting smoke. The Burley leads for most of the bowl, but the Lat gets stronger as it progresses, nearly catching the Burley by the end. The Virginias provide a background. The vanilla topping is very noticeable in the first half and fades just a little during the second. The second half of this is very nearly sublime. Wonderful stuff.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in taste. Flavoring is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

4noggins - Bald Headed Teacher.

Seeing as hair isn't listed as a flavouring I'm guessing that an employee of 4noggins is a blonde? Possibly a female as the length of the strand I pulled from my pouch didn't suggest a male hairdo! Anyhoo, that's my detective skills put to the test and I'm not sure whether or not the name Sherlock will suit me, so on with the smoke:

The Burley, without a shadow of a doubt, makes up the majority of it. Quite high quality: nutty, raw, and toasty. The Virginia and Latakia, on the other hand, account for far less. The Latakia gives a tiny amount of woodiness; TINY, and the Virginia lends a little freshness to the mix. At first, I only get a very delicate note of any added flavouring, it seems too mild to quantify what it is. But, once the first quarter has been burned all becomes clear: Vanilla. There's also what tastes like an added sweetness. This flavouring's just the right weight to give extra character, but not lots of tongue bite.

The room-note's only tolerable and the nicotine's medium.

Bald Headed Teacher? It's alright, but if I weren't deliberately searching for the Virginia and Latakia, it would seem like quite a simple vanilla Burley. One pipe's nice, a second's okay, and a third is just boring.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok straight billiard meer'

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (38)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Bald Headed Teacher is a wonderful smoke. I tasted the Latakia and sweet burley. It is a smooth gentle smoke with moderate strength. Let the other reviewers describe the grassy taste. To me it was a fine pipe tobacco that I would highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Sav Standing with filter

Age When Smoked: New out of tin

Purchased From: 4nokkins

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (52)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

As every 4noggins I've purchased, I had to dry the tobacco first. Not annoying if you know it before smoking it. The taste is rather strong, not too much if you like this type of blend. If you're not used to, prepare for it :P The room note is as usual : rather strong, but when you like it, it's smells so good. Obviously, I highly recommend it.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The burley is most noticeable, nutty and refreshing, with a super mildly sweet finish that's enhanced by the darker tang of quality Virginia. I love that the latakia is used so sparingly! Just the most barely detectable undercurrent of woodsy smokiness. I don't get the vanilla flavor many reviewers mention...there's definitely a pleasant sweetness, but more akin to molasses than fruit or vanilla. I do not detect a topping, unless it's used as sparingly as the latakia is. A mellower, more refreshing sort of American style English that I can easily enjoy in the heat of summer! And with the room note, I can just as easily smoke it indoors as well...wife approved. I do not agree with others who complain this is an aromatic. There is little to zero topping, and far too much natural tobacco flavor present for this to be the case. That being said, don't expect it to punch you in the groin with balkan/English harshness. That's not the kind of tobacco BHT is or tries to be. I find performance and flavor to be better in cob than briar. Less tongue bite, as well. Great job Rich, a classic for me and permanent member of my rotation.

Pipe Used: MM Mark Twain, JPatton freehand

Age When Smoked: Over 12 months

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

stavros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stavros (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first discovered this tobacco, I thought it was the perfect non-aromatic, mild, every day smoke. It did, in fact, replace my old every day aromatic smoke for a time. I ordered a bunch of it. After smoking it for a few weeks, I started to really dislike it. There's just too much of... something in it. Or the flavours bgin to clash after awhile. My experience with Bald Headed Teacher has resembled my experience of, say, a really catchy pop song that grabs you right away but lacks the quality and subtlety to keep drawing me back to it for a long period of time... or a sweet dessert that becomes a bit sickening after awhile. BHT is like a mixed slurpee. It tastes sweet at first but there is just a little too much going on for me. This is not to say anything bad about 4Noggins. They are fantastic! This blend just doesn't stand the test of time, in my humble opinion.

Cellist0doom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cellist0doom (6)

I can't get enough of this stuff! The flavor is nutty and wonderful. This is a great all day smoke. Not too strong and not too intense with flavor.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob

Purchased From: Gift

leacha Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leacha (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Since I do not have a highly refined palate, it's hard to describe tastes and flavors that I experience. I only know what I like and do not like. So here's my rating scale and a brief reason for the rating.

★★★★ = Excellent - Apocalypse blend, cellar worthy.

★★★☆ = Good - Not part of regular roatation but keeping a few tins/ounces is wise.

★★☆☆ = Fair - A smokable blend that is worth trying again.

★☆☆☆ = Poor. - Do not smoke! Trade off or give away to the unsuspecting.

Because tastes and blends change over time and depending on what pipe is used, I reserve the right to change my rating at any time.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)

After a few years of this piping business, I've at least figured out what I really like. English/Balkan style tobaccos, and the very American unsauced Burley-Based stuff.

Bald Headed Teacher is a great tobacco for when I can't figure out exactly what I want to smoke. It's burley upfront, and while I'd prefer to not use the wording directly off the manufacturer's description, is only "seasoned" with some bright virginias and smokey latakia. The latakia is like deja-vu, a whiff of a familiar smell you can't really put your finger on but elevates this blend just enough to add some mystery to a tobacco that otherwise would be one of those non-contemplative, everyday smokes.

Nicotine is pretty stout on this one, but not a head swimmer. Just right.

The Lat is minor enough in this blend that the room note isn't "Tire Fire" either, which my wife believes to be a good thing.

Pipe Used: DGE Twainwarmer Cob, MM General Cob

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased march 2015)

Purchased From: 4Noggins.com

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)

Really enjoyed this tobacco. I see it as a "lighter" English tobacco, toasty with burley, but still has the English elements and flavors. The burley adds a really nice dimension of a toasty chocolate taste to the tobacco which is extremely nice when the mood calls for it. Very affordable from 4noggins - I highly recommend picking up a couple of ounces if you like English, but would like something lighter and not as stout for a change of pace.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Grand Duke

Grumpynuts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grumpynuts (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my first experience with Bald Headed Teacher. When I first opened the bag and took in the initial aroma I knew I was in for a treat. I was not disappointed. Smooth, no bite whatsoever, and the room note received a number of compliments. (One person even placed an order for some w/out smoking any.)

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I like aromatics but received this as a sample from 4noggins with my order and I was pleasantly surprised. Every once in awhile I like to try or smoke something besides aromatics. I'm a newbie pipe smoker but since I started I have come a long way in my taste buds for tobacco. If I would have received this when I started I would not have liked it. The aroma and taste are medium to full but it's very tasty and pleasant. I would actually order this! Definitely recommend for those that like English type blends or non aromatic.

Ok I plugged in my review then read what some others said about it and I'm confused...apparently this is an aromatic but to me it's not what I think of...generally I think of aromatics as being sweet but this is to me like an English blend so I will have to revisit because some reviews mention chocolate! seems like a completely different thing to what I smoked. Anyway worth a try.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

i received this as a complement from Rich, in one of my orders.I had my share of english, balkans and orientals however, for the time being i am an avid aromatic smoker but truth to be said i enjoyed this blend thoroughly. it has the perfect proportions to make it a smooth smoke that wont knock you off your heel neither it make you sick like many bold blends ive tried before. rounded taste with burly nuttiness in the front and the seasonings added complemented the blend so well to call it an all day smoke. (is it a crowd pleaser? i dont think so).

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A well combined, well complex Tobacco. only a bit of Latakia taste. Slighly pepper residual taste. Its is not for the fans of Latakia, but people that enjoy non aromatic mixtures will love it. High quality tobacco. Commenting about MacQueen oppinion: No, Balded Headed Teacher is it not an aromatic tobacco, since aromatics are sweet and contains sugar and Cavendish Tobacco, and this not. their slighly sweetness is natural from Virginia. Also it is not a complete English Mixture, since english mixtures combines Oriental Tobaccos with Latakia. The best manner to describe Bald Headed Teacher is a Burley-Virginia blend flavourized with some Latakia tobacco

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A few months back I ordered a pipe from the good folks at 4Noggins and they sent me some of this. I put it on top of my dresser and forgot about it. This evening I came across it and decided to give it a try. Boy, am I glad I did! This tobacco lit well and burned extremely well right down to the bottom of the bowl without a single re-light. It makes thick heavy plumes of smoke which I love. The burley and Virginias are of a very fine quality. The latakia comes through, but is very subtle. The first half of the bowl was quite sweet, then the sweetness gave way to nutty and leathery tastes. The sweetness returned toward the bottom of the bowl which was a nice surprise. This is a very cool and relaxing smoke with zero tongue bite. There's not a lot of nicotine which is fine with me. I will certainly smoke more of this.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Wow, the first tobacco I've smoked in 3 months that has got past the "WIFE TEST", she actually said," that tobacco smells good". I think it has a vanilla topping that lasts the whole bowl,it's just a hint of flavoring, not overpowering. As I'm not an aromatic smoker, this one I can take with me for those public places. It doesn't stay lit real well but it also doesn't gurgle or bite. The predominate tobacco is burley seems to smoke a little sour. Nice crossover tobacco with the hint of Latakia. I'll keep some around for when friends come over.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (47)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Few weeks back I tore something in my left rotator cuff and was laid up for a bit in a sling. The two top things I do to comfort myself are to watch westerns and buy tobacco (If you don't count sex and drinking). I don't smoke more, don't smoke less either. You might have noticed Hollywood hasn't put out a lot of westerns lately. I couldn't very well go brick and mortar shopping. All my regular internet haunts were out of what I was looking for, so I stumbled over to 4Noggins. They had a few things I wanted in stock and one of those spend a hundred bucks get shipping free deals. It's more comforting to buy more tobacco than less right?

So I checked out this here site for reviews of 4noggins own blends. Y'all seem to love this stuff, and I understand why they inspire loyalty; friendly, quick, and competitively priced. BHT seemed to have a whole lot of four star reviews.

This is my first impression --- I let some air dry, not that it came real damp or anything, I just like things drier. I tried in a pipe I rarely use for first taste, a big old Willmer volcano, When I'm feeling snobbish or pretentious I like to take first tastes in a meerschaum or something tighter and more neutral, sort of like those fancy folks spitting out wine at the vineyard.

This blend is the closest I've smoked to an aromatic in a while, though I don't think it has a casing or if it does it's a, well, tobacco flavored casing. It's just really sweet and nutty, must be the burly they use. I was surprised to find myself liking it, liking it a lot. I barely noticed that the bowl made it all the way through Wyatt Earp with maybe two relights, no heat, and most importantly without getting boring.

It's a little too sweet to be an everyday smoke for me, but it's not something I'll find under the desk in a year and throw out either. I'm impressed with the blending skill, innovation and service at 4noggins. They also threw in a sample of button bay which smells a little too sweet too, but I'm willing to try anything from those guys. I'm giving it three stars cause I like these guys. Oh, and I'm on pain killers. Not that it doesn't deserve at least three stars, just that it's not my regular cup of tea.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)

Burley is the main player here, but you taste some Virginias and a very light Latakia smokiness, lightly cased this blend buns cool and its good any time of the day.

thaimatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thaimatt (3)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A little background first - I have been smoking pipes for about 4 years now. I live in Thailand and it been impossible to get anything but drugstore tobaccos (the best I have been able to acquire till now has been Sunday's Fantasy. Apart from that it has been all Captain Black Royal and Mac Barren's Mixture). However, ordering online from 4noggins was absolutely no problem - got to me from the US in 5 days. Don't ask me why I didn't think of that sooner!

Firstly, as soon as opened Bald Headed Teacher, I knew this was something completely different that anything I had experienced before. What is that delicious smoky-spicy smell - is that the latakia? I packed a pipe - MY GOD! what a smoke ... so ... so subtle and yet with all kinds of dreamy rememberances triggered by the smell, the flavors. I enjoyed my pipe smoking before. BUT this is something completely different. This is really - and I am not overstating it - a life changing experience. Wow, I never knew pipe smoking could be like this!

PeteSavinelli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeteSavinelli (8)

I really cannot say enough good things about this blend, especially in light of the fact that I am not the world's biggest burley fan. BHT is what I call an aromatic-english and it falls on the light side of that scale. It is a flavorful, structured english-style smoke with just a hint of sweetness that gives it a certain roundness, rather than the usual sharpness I find in burley blends. To my taste the sweetness is just that, not necessarily a flavor, but rather the sweetness you would find in a good sweet tea. Sweet, but not cloying or syrupy. I think that this blend would appeal to both english and aromatic lovers with something to satisfy both enough to keep them coming back.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

The description says it spot on. I can't add anything to the positive reviews listed below me here but wholehearted agreement. It passed the wife test with flying colors (which is always a good thing). The taste is excellent, so I can do nothing but highly recommend this fine blend from 4noggins.com's Rich Gottlieb. I plan on buying much more of this fine weed.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Burley based tobacco, semi sweet, the taste is crème caramel, dark chocolate, Nougat, nutty, bite free and soft on the palate, easy to pack and smoke mild with clean burning property.

Good quality tobacco with original taste and flavor, I enjoy this blend with morning coffee.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Absolutely delightful and unique Burley blend. The Latakia content is more than "just enough to provide...". In fact, it's very noticeable behind the Burley, but they're so well balanced that I wouldn't change one strand.

The flavoring is subtle and delicious, and this mixture has entered my Burley rotation along with Stonehaven and Aged Burley Flake. Totally different, but just as enjoyable.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)

This very tasty blend consists of mainly burley with some virginia and a touch of Latakia, together with a semi sweet flavouring that is not overdone like a real aromatic can be. So no goopyness at the end of your bowl. I find this blend has much to recommend if you're into an all-day unpreposessing smoke, say a Carter Hall. but you want some more diversity in flavour, which the slight aromatic addition together with the touch of Latakia gives. And Rich of 4Noggins is a great guy to deal with as well!

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

The burleys provide a nutty molasses like taste and the latakia adds a smokey background note. I really didn't taste the Virginias too much but when I did it was grassy hay like. It tastes like the old Walnut blend use to. It makes an interesting once a day smoke.

jvnshr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jvnshr (23)

Smoking 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher is like eating just ripened fresh hazelnuts from the garden of your grandma. Recommended to the newbies as it is a nice intro to the Burley world.

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A blend of burley, latakia and virginia, this is one acclaimed in 4noggings' lines Another famous Burley English blend. The nutty burley sweetness really smooth things out and it's perfect for all day smoke.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

With the end of my second year of pipe smoking now behind me, it's time to let the reviews begin. First, however, some minor housecleaning. It appears my smoking profile has already changed when compared to the beginning of last year. I had planned to search high and low for aromatic blends that had some taste, but, quite frankly, there are so few of them around, I've given up on that angle—no worries, though, I've fallen in love with smoking flakes and, much to my surprise, burley's!

Bringing me, now, to this review of BHT. First off, what a GREAT smoke—4 Nog's knows Burley! I thought nothing would ever equal Storm Front, but, BHT not only equals it, it surpasses it. BHT has a hint of cocoa, a mild sweetness from who knows what, a fantastic nutty sidestream, lots of smooth smoke—this is one pipe friendly blend I will be keeping in my rotation for years to come!

My first blend of the year, and what a great way to start the season, a four star smoke all the way!

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi Freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I had a jar of Bald Headed Teacher on my shelf for a year and four months before I decided to give it a spin. The ribbons are of even cut, about 2/3 milk chocolate brown and 1/3 black. The jar note was of a light meaty smoky flavor with a sweet tang and the moisture level was about right. An unlit sip produced a light vanilla flavor, and the charring light was the tastes of faint vanilla with a light Latakia smokiness.

This blend has an overall sweet characteristic that gets sweeter and creamier as the bowl progresses. Hints of vanilla come through that are often blended with a meaty smokiness. I found myself puffing hard on this blend when I wasn’t paying attention, seemingly trying to get a bolder flavor profile. This hard puffing frequently led to burning my tongue, but I don’t blame this blend for my careless puffing. The room note was not disagreeable at all. I found this blend to be pleasant to smoke, but the flavors just weren’t there for me. Maybe it has a stronger flavor when it is fresh, but I don’t think I will give it another go around. If you like a sweet and light Latakia enhanced blend then it is worth a try.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 1 Year 4 Months

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (60)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Light flavoring/casing lends a pleasant smell in the bag. Light and fluffy, as all of the 4noggins blends seem to be. Rather moist. Best one of the 4noggins blends I have tried so far, but still lacking in overall taste. Will not rebuy.--2 more to go.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: all the other 4 noggins.

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (10)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I will just parrot what the previous two reviewers said. It is a delightfully pleasant tobacco. This is my first purchase of the stuff and it is perfect. A little latakia plus a very nice flavor of tobacco. Will buy again.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

This tobacco packs and lights reasonably well and has a pleasant room note. The flavors are nice although a little on the weak side. Unfortunately something in this blend consistently irritates my mouth - from my experience with other blends I am guessing it is the Burley or the grade of Burley used. For that reason I won't be finishing the sample I bought. Two stars.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (66)
Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

You would never guess this from the description, but this blend is a full aromatic, and not a particularly good one. The pouch is redolent with the choco-vanilla aroma so common to aromatics and there is plenty of visible black and tan cavendish. The first smoke was extremely wet and bitey, so I left the pouch open for several weeks to dry things out. This improved the smoking characteristics, but it is completely bland. There is nothing "nutty and brisk" about this smoke. I do not taste any tobacco at all, just hot air. Very similar to Lane's HGL.

jdr2008 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdr2008 (4)

This particular blend came with a pipe I bought, When I opened the box I could smell the aroma of this blend which was strong and unusual to me having smoked PA and CH for awhile, I didnt touch it for a week, Then I loaded up the pipe and lit up, I got through the first bowl and It was very good, It had a sweet and tangy taste along with the burley and something else that had a strong aftertaste when I finished, I found out that was the small amount of latakia that is blended in, after the second bowl it was on then, This blend packs and lights well, smokes well and tastes great with no bite, I highly recommend this blend even to the beginner who would like to ease into the latakia road, In fact I would recommened it for the new pipe smoker.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This creation is genius.It's different from any other tobacco and talented blender Mr.Gottlieb should be tributed for with standing ovation. It pack well,it stay light,no special attentions required here. It can be smoked every time,everywhere; I get only compliments about BHT (apart from anti-smoke oriented persons;why,oh why they look at me like a poisoner?). Possibly,the most interesting aromatic around right now, for every tipology of piper. Thank you so match Mr.Gottlieb!