A heavy Latakia blend with rough-cut Burley and bright Virginia flake, enhanced with a good amount of rough-cut maduro cigar leafs from Connecticut and Wisconsin.

Blended ByCraig Tarlar
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong

Lucas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lucas (7)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

My favorite blend of all brands. Full flavored, complex, slightly sweet, great afternoon and evening smoke. Ages superbly.

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

All of you 1-Q smokers should just do yourself a favor and keep on walking because this blend is not for you.

That being said, this is one of the best tobaccos of this genre I've ever had the pleasure of smoking. Gifted to me by an ASP'er who found the strength of this blend nausiating, I found it to be just right for my ultra-high nicotine tolerance.

Smooth and flavorful, neither the latakia or cigar leaf overwhelm this blend. It's a perfect combination of tobaccos for those who like their pipe tobacco to pack a wallop and still taste good.

No gurgle, no tongue bite and burns to a fine ash. High marks here for the blend crafted for the late Lawrence Kobak aka "Sailorman Jack".

california smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
california smoker (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I picked up my pipes again after a few years smoking cigars exclusively. In so doing, I found most of the pipe tobaccos I started smoking again to be lacking in richness and complexity as well as smoothness. Afterreading many reviews on this sight, I sent away for among others, Billy Budd.

Well, joy was mine when I smoked this fine blend as part of a C&D sample package. I was interested in cigar leaf blends: I also compared smoked Purple Cow (C&D) and Robusto (GLPease), as well a couple aromatics.

Billy budd is a wonderfully full smoke that is the one I have been seeking. It is 50% latakia and needs some getting used to, but it is now my everyday smoke. I love the mouthfeel and rich luxury of its deep smooth full tobacco essence.

It is great! As for the other two cigar leaf blends, I find them somewhat unfocussed and uninteresting, though in matters of taste one must try for themselves.

In Billy Budd, I am pleased to have found a substantial and well blended pipe tobacco that is relaxing, powerful and pleasant. Thank you C&D.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

a bang on the head,,,full tobaccobody and awonderful blend the latakia is present with a wonderful impact tth wont implicate the bitter taste cigar leafs add the required touch burning qualities are very nice,,leaves a thick solid ash tht needs tamping and a wider bowl to get godd quantity of air,,well balanced contents one of the best cigar blended mixtures,,go for it

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a good, full bodied tobacco that burns well and packs well. You can smell it in the next room it is so robust, but fantastic. Get it in bulk ans try it!

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

the first time I had this tobacco...

It was Labor Day weekend I was seventeen I bought a Coke and some Billy Budd And I drove out to the county fair When I saw her for the first time She was standing there in the ticket line And it all started right then and there Oh, a smoker's sky made a perfect sunset And that's the day I'll never forget

I had a barbeque stain on my white tee shirt She was killing me in that miniskirt Skippin' rocks on the river by the railroad tracks She had a suntan line and Dunhill Pipe I worked so hard for that first smoke And a heart don't forget something like that

Well it was five years later on a southbound plane I was headed down to New Orleans To meet some friends of mine for Mardi Gras When I smelled a smoke from the past Comin' from a few rows back And when I looked, I couldn't believe just what I saw She said I bet you don't remember me And I said only every other memory

I had a barbeque stain on my white tee shirt You were killing me in that miniskirt Skippin' rocks on the river by the railroad tracks You had a suntan line and Dunhill Pipe I worked so hard for that first smoke And a heart don't forget something like that

Like an old photograph Time can make a feeling fade But the memory of a first smoke Never fades away

I had a barbecue stain on my white tee shirt She was killing me in that miniskirt Smokkin' pipes on the river by the railroad tracks She had a sun tan line and dunhill Pipe I worked so hard for that first smoke A heart don't forget, no a heart don't forget I said a heart don't forget something like that Oh, not something like that

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (13)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

A good strong mix with a high Latakia content. The Burley and Cigar Leaf gives it a really solid foundation. A real favorite after a fine sturdy dinner with game or BBQ. But can be a little mean to the tongue sometimes

Mooks81 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mooks81 (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Heard some good reviews on this one, had to try. The cigar leaf was very present to me along with Latakia. There is nothing sweet in this blend, strong campfire/leather taste. Tastes just like it smells. This is the closest taste to a cigar in a blend I have yet tried. There were times while smoking it was quite bitter. At times I also got that sooty/charred taste and coating in the back of the throat. Need a strong drink with this one. I sometimes get tired of sweet Latakia blends, so this is a nice alternative, however not an everyday smoke. I did like it and I will smoke again.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

This is another "modified" English mixture, since not have Orientals and have Cigar Leaf (when? no noted!) The latakia cannot be detected when smoking, In the pouch well. almost tasteless,better in the pouch than when smoking. another common mixture, not impressive for me. Try when you want a Latakia blend that seems cigarrete tobacco.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Very Strong

Well dear Billy time to set sail from my cellar.

Very harsh with a tongue bite like a drunken parrot on Captain Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge.

Not many redeeming qualities, an assault on the palate and zero balance.

Moreover, I do not fair well with Cornell & Diehl /Greg Pease blends, vastly overrated.

Dragon76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragon76 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

This tobacco Rocks! It exceeded my expectations. It has a great Cigar / Latakia / Virginia blend balance. Not to over compensating, but just right. This was my first time smoking a "Cigar Blend" mix pipe tobacco. Wow! Burn is great-not to hot. Good flavor with all of its tobacco mixes. What really surprised Me was that Billy Budd was just as good in my filter pipe - with a Balsa Filter, as it was in a Non-Filter pipe. Flavor came through great in both style pipes.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Magnificent. I am a huge fan of C&D's Purple cow. Billy Budd seems to be a more refined version of Purple Cow. A great marriage between a cigar and an english tobacco. Very cool burning, very robust full flavored smoke. Very well done. The smoke is creamy, silky smooth and packed full of flavor. A nice dose of vitamin N as well. When I'm in the mood for a good cigar blend but Purple Cow's a bit much at the moment I'm sure to reach for Billy Budd. Well done C&D. as usual.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Where to start. Arguably one of my favorite blends. C & D knows what they were doing.

The strength was pretty high due to the cigar leaf, but otherwise it's not too bad. The blend itself was just so well done to keep it sensibly strong. I like to smoke this blend after work, and before slumber.

I tasted no flavoring, which is how I like it. It keeps the beautiful tobaccos rich and strong. The taste however is the best iv'e. The burleys are amazing and even give it a good smell. I don't even know where to start with the cigar leaf. There are some points in which you light this blend, and you just get some cigar leaf, and that gave me a chance to single out that taste. It doesn't completely stand out, which I like.

The room note. I found it pleasurable. The weird thing is so did the wife. It doesn't really make sense to me, but I went with it.

In the end, kudos to C & D once again, keep doing what you do.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand, Peterson System (Bent)

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Purple Cow.

Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dude (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am also fond of the occasional cigar and i like English blends.

I am not too fond of mild English blends as I dont find them too rewarding.

For me Billy Budd Is what I consider my "go to " English blend as the cigar leaf adds enough to keep things interesting. Other leafs provide medium + level of Nicotine . Does not smoke too hot but it does seem to smoke fast so I like with large bowl pipes. Ages well so I keep in bulk mason jar. Low maintenance smoke.

Pipe Used: Large bent reserved for Lat Blends

Age When Smoked: New bulk to 4 year bulk.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Just to much for this guy if your looking for something strong and a bit out of the ordinary give it a go

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Made it through the whole tin but just couldn't get into it. OK but didn't hold my interest.

Drbawls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Drbawls (2)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Billy Budd is one of my favorite tobaccos. When I purchased it I didn't intend on liking it, but I was wrong. The smell in the tin reminds me of leather and a pleasantly smokey wood fire. The latakia and burley are on the forefront with the cigar leaf being detectable if you look for it. I haven't been able to taste the virginia yet, but I bet it would be missed if it weren't there. I'm not a fan of burley at all, but with a great deal of latakia and some cigar leaf it works very well in this blend.

It packs easily and is also pretty easy to light. After smoking around 6 bowls from a new pipe, I noticed that there was no problem with it gurgling, burning hot, or going out. It did tend to get bite a little bit, but nothing compared to va/per blends, as well as getting bitter on those very last puffs, but that could be my pipe more than anything. The flavor starts off strong with latakia being in the forefront and the burley and cigar leaf adding some nutty and leathery flavors. As I smoked I noticed the burley becoming stronger and the latakia getting weaker, but the leathery aspect of the cigar leaf never diminished. As for the virginia tobacco, I can't taste it. No sweetness or those savory, tangy flavors, but I suspect that it rounds out the blend.

All things told, this is an excellent blend, even moreso considering the price. I wouldn't want it as an all day blend, but every time I've smoked it thus far it has been a treat. I will be ordering this blend by the pound from here on out.

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Easily my favorite C&D blend, Billy Budd is my default tobacco. The taste of Latakia and Maduro cigar leaf are most prevalent, leaving the tastebuds to explore the subtle undertones of Virginia burley at their leisure. It's nicotine content is higher than most English blends I have smoked. I would highly recommend this tobacco to anyone who is a fan of English mixtures.

MacNutz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MacNutz (12)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I'm fond of Lat bombs so it will come as no surprise that I like Billy Budd. The cigar leaf is noticeable but for me it's only a hint not the forward flavour. In this blend that forward note would be the latakia, influenced by but not over powered by the cigar leaf.

It is a good full flavoured tobacco blend, not for the faint of heart or those who don't like Latakia.

However, if you are a cigar smoker looking for a cigar like pipe blend, you will likely be disappointed. I think cigar smokers should avoid pipe blends with some cigar qualities because expectations will probably not be met.

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Strong Mild Very Full Strong

I only smoke this tobacco with a stiff drink. I find the strong bitterness of the cigar leaf is cut well with some bourbon, scotch, or whiskey. Otherwise, the flavor seems to linger on my toungue a little too long. Not an everday smoke for me, but perfect for chilly evenings by my backyard fire pit.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is the first factory made cigar leaf pipe blend I've tried. I've made my own using the clipped cap of an 1964 anniversary padron, pirate kake and oriental silk, but never a factory rolled one. The pouch smell was what you'd expect from an english blend, plenty of smoky latakia, a bit of VA sweetness and spicy orientals. In this blend the spicy scent was the cigar leaf.

I was disapointed, not repulsed. The cigar leaf seemed to dominate the flavor and it was lower quality cigar leaf than I am used to. I'm hoping cellaring will help.

I smoke cigars. I have high regard for C&D. My three stars are optimistic that when I revisit the blend it will live up to three stars.

It's not like I only smoked half of a bowl and tapped it out in disgust, and I did use a very reliable, well seasoned Castello Collection that has never steered me wrong.

I think there is something to this blend and am willing to give it a chance, but it wasn't as pleasurable a smoking experience as I was hoping for.

Introibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Introibo (45)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Loud and boisterous. If Star of the East flake is Philip Marlow, Billy Budd is Mike Hammer. A beautiful combination of sharp burley and virginia flavour, with the Latakia given some strength by the cigar leaf.

I could smoke this all day and all night, if necessary. It is mild, in the vitamin-N department, unlike many of the CD line-up, but it keeps its flavour from start to finish.

You can't really taste the cigar leaf per se. I suspect that it works inside the Latakia, serving as a kind of chemical additive to that worthy leaf.

Towards the last third of the pipe you get even more Latakia, with the burleys muted. I would presume that even CD's burleys, not generally a shy bunch, are upstaged by the other components to the point of just creeping away.

Outstanding in every respect.

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

my favorite of the so-called cigar blends. It has abit too much latakia in it for me to enjoy bowl after bowl. I have mixed it with other blends such as Stogie, Carter Hall, John Bull and Strikeforce. I prefer this blend in my larger size corn cob pipes. Excellent.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentlemen, Great Dane

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I find this to be a nice blend when I am in the mood for Latakia but do not want a typical English blend. The cigar an burley leaf combine to give this blend some real depth in the low end of the taste spectrum. When I first smoked this I did not know the blend had cigar leaf in it but I could not figure out where the low notes of flavor were coming from. At first I thought the burleys in this blend were just really deep. When I found out this blend had cigar leaf it made sense to me. The blend smokes cool and has some nicotine strength although not at all overpowering. I recommend this blend to those wanting a Latakia blend with a nice little twist.

Dr. Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Watson (3)

Given the short span of time I have had the pleasure of savoring this blend from C&D, Billy Budd has indeed outshined my modest shelf. Naturally, I tend to gravitate to Va/Pers or Burleys, yet this first foray into Latakia has been a pleasure.

BB begins with a nice toasty and smoky aroma with the tobacco lurking just below the surface to give a nice reminder of it's prescence. Roughly midway, the kick and flavor encapsulate your senses into the cigar-esque traits of this blend. The maduro and burley accentuate the Latakia (or the other way around) to allow a nice base note of sweetness from the Virginias to show.

Overall, BB pleases this smoker with it's rounded full flavor, decent strength, and modest profile. Recommended, though a good light roast coffee or dark tea goes quite well alongside this blend. A staple, if not a permanent fixture.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Coarse cut tobacco with big chunks of cigar leaf and latakia and broken virginia flakes; difficult to pack especially in a small pipe. Doesn't light easily, doesn't want to stay lit. Doesn't burn hot though or doesn't bite even after all those relights.

Smoked a bowl when I first got it and tossed it into a mason jar for about about 3 months.

I don't know if it's too much latakia or cigar leaf or maybe my butchered-by-cigarette taste buds but pretty much all I get from the Billy is a harsh smoke and a harassed throat. It's leathery alright but not the usual sweet and leathery flavour I get from other latakia blends but salty and pungent; almost bitter.

See you in another 3 months Billy!

After almost 3 months I am smoking this once again. It still doesn't wanna burn evenly, still pungent and musty yet the bitterness is gone. There is something about the latakia in this blend; it's very different from the latakia from other latakia blends I have been smoking. I don't know how or why it happens but I guess I like other latakias better...

Timberwolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Timberwolf (2)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Giving this blend 5 stars is a testament to C&D in my book. I cannot settle into one type of blend and find myself regularly switching my preferences in blends throughout the genres, with exception to aromatics.

I bought a pound of this blend and jarred it a little over a year ago. It took mr a while to get a regular feel for this blend, but I find it not like other blends.

I enjoy this blend in any pipe, but it is especially amazing in my thick walled cherrywood.

A hearty room note that masks a truly smooth, tasty smoke with predominantly latakia and burley taking their turns. I found the Virginias and cigar tobacco subtley showing up now and then to provide an amazing well balanced smoke.

Vitamin N is definitely there, but doesn't overpower. An exceptional C&D blend.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

If one was looking for a unique English blend, I would recommend this. However, if someone wanted a blend that tasted like cigar I would say look elsewhere. A good blend, I just didn't taste cigar. I liked this as a nice strong English blend but when I want cigar I'll stick with a Fuente.

Soli Deo gloria!

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A very relaxing smoke, due to the heavy Latakia blend, but at the same time very tasteful due to the several other tobaccos included.

Probably wouldn't recommend this to anyone who hasn't smoked an English before, or isn't a smoker who smokes often. If you do enjoy an English blend this is definitely for you. Probably one of the most enjoyable and tasteful smokes I ever had.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (15)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the only English blend that I have smoked so it is hard to make this an accurate review.

I tend to smoke only mild aromatics like C&D's Founding Fathers. But I have also smoked their Epiphany blend as well.

This is definitely much stronger in room note and taste. But it smokes very smoothly. Nicotine hit is strongish but not a head swimmer.

The only problem is that I don't smoke enough to fully enjoy this tobacco. The only time that I really enjoyed this blend was at the end of a week when I had smoked almost every day previous. I usually only smoke a few times a month if that.

So I had an almost nirvana like smoke and then went about a month without smoking at all. Since my previous smoke was so nice I decided to have another bowl. It was very disappointing. The smell seemed very abrasive the taste was overwhelming and was just no good. I couldn't understand why at first but I am pretty sure it is because I don't smoke much

So, if you smoke regularly I would say this is a great tobacco to try. But if you are like me and smoking is more of an casual thing, then you might want to go with something more mild.

A7Guitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A7Guitar (5)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend that I saw pipefriendchs smoke a lot and is one of his favorites so after watching I figured why not try it. I must say the blend does not dissapoint. Full flavor, nice aroma, and absolutely zero tongue bite. I even for the sake of trying I tried to hotbox this blend but no tongue bite. What worried me is that it apparently has maduro cigar in it which i dont like maduro cigars at all for some reason yet this blend didnt bother me in the least. In fact this is definitely one of my top 3 blends of all time. It is full and definitely an evening smoke for me. I would suggest this to anyone and everyone but if you are unsure always buy a 1 oz bulk bag first then go from there. Hope this helps :)

brogreggblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brogreggblues (45)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Tried BB two years ago, when I got back into pipesmoking after a 20+ year hiatus. At that time, I found BB to be interesting and complex, but ultimately too strong for me to enjoy. A month ago, I thought I'd give ol' Billy another try. After a couple bowlfuls, I can say Billy Budd is very tasty and complex, but prohibitively strong for me.

Full disclosure: I have also revisited Habana Daydream and enjoy it.

YMMV.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Most pipesmokers familiar with this website are proabably also familiar with the famed pipefriendchs on youtube.

Billy Budd has been his tobacco of choice for a number of years, and because of him and my love of Purple Cow. I decided to try some of this when i ordered a 5 blend sampler pack from the source.

The first bowl i smoked wasn't good, i dont know why, but all i tasted was cigar leaf. Must have not been mixed up right, or just bad bad luck or something, but i was initially disappointed.

I tried it again the next day however, and wow, it is fantastic. I have now smoked a number of bowls of it. Not as strong (at least to me) as other reviewers make it sound, but it is a very full flavored, stout, smoke.

Lots of Latakia flavor, but not a one dimensional tobacco at all; the components are nicely blended. There is always a spicy sort of cigar like note throughout the smoke and it becomes a lot more apparent at times, specially if smoked hot or fast. The virginia sweetness keeps it from being harsh, and the burly makes it a really good, complex smoke(i like little burly in english blends).

I am guilty of being a fast smoker, but i must honestly say that this blend is a whole lot better if smoked slowly.

It burns clean and dry, but a little fast, but oh well, buy it in bulk and its not drastically expensive and incredibly worth it.

I Hesitate to give it the highly recommended rating, simply because some people i would simply not recommend it to.

If one primarily enjoys the fine points of virginia flake, or the mildness of a pleasant aromatic, or even just light english blends like early morning or squadron leader, this may not be for you, but there is only one way to find out right? But, if you like a strong, full flavored, English blend, and want to try something a little unique, I really feel like you will enjoy this.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

Depending on your tolerance for Nicotine and Full tasting blends, this will either be a feast or an assault on your senses.

One thing this blend does not lack is taste. Judging by the tobaccos used in this blend, it lives up to the taste profile I expected when i lit my pipe.

What i tasted was mainly Burley and Latakia. I did get some notes of what could be described as Cigar leaf. I feel that the Virginia leaf is just too delicate in taste to compete with the no holds barred Burley, Latakia and Maduro leaf.

Overall i feel this blend has its place. It is for a very late night smoke when your taste buds have been fried all day by whatever it was you have been smoking and you need some VitN and something you can actually taste at that time.

It does not make it into my rotation but i can see a place for this from time to time.

Mo, South Africa

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I am on my 2nd tin of this stuff and I finally feel somewhat qualified to render a review on it or at least an opinion of some sort. Many a times I have gone back and forth as to whether or not this is a quality smoke worth pursuing. The fact that I continue to investigate this mixture, tells me that it is.

As for the tobacco, this wasn't one that I could just ease into, even as a long time purveyor of cigars. Billy Budd is a challenging blend that forced me to really alter my smoking cadence.

Billy Budd is a flavorful and at times rewarding smoke, but it can also taste out of balance and frankly down right rude. But there is a silver lining with Billy Budd. Moments where I have experienced true tobacco harmony, tasting the woodsy burley and latakia intertwined with sweet undercurrents of Virginia with just a delicate cocoa note from the cigar leaf. These moments are rare but they are there, and most of all this is never a boring smoke. Most of the time however, the latakia dominates, the cigar flavor pokes through here and there & the burley and Virginia flavors taste muddled.

I am not a huge fan of the cut of this mixture and several times this one has clogged my pipe. Room note and Billy Budd should probably not be used in the same sentence unless you live in the ultimate bachelor pad. If that's the case then I envy you because I do like the smell of this stuff. At my house Billy Budd is an anti-wife mechanism. Smoking it guarantees that my significant other is having nothing to do with the likes of me that day and maybe even the next.

Now that spring is nearly here, I look forward to aging a bit of this over the next 6 months to see how it fares next winter.

2 stars..

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Strong

A trully nicotine cannon.Can't smoke it all day.Can't even smoke it everyday.Too heavy.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Well, I did not find this blend for myself. Almost one year ago, I brought one of my colleagues into the pipe world, and he recently asked me if I could find something with cigar taste.

Yes, "CIGAR TASTE", these are the only key words I have. And after striking a few keys on my lap-top, I have 2 choices: Billy Budd and Habana Daydream. Coincidently there is only Billy Budd in stock at my regular supplier. So I got 200 grams for my colleague and 50 for myself. It was a little too dry when I opened the bag.

And again, one same blend gives out totally different characteristics with different pipes. I first tried this blend in my meerschaum, and the experience was not so great. I could only enjoy myself for the first few puffs and afterwards all elements seem to be mixed up.

I switched my pipe to my James Upshall pot shape which I usually serve with Penzance, and everything appeared as it should be. The latakia is well balanced, not too agressive. However I feel no cigar taste in the flavor but my pallete tells me there is some according to the old memory :)

The coarse cut is the most difficult to pack but I managed it with Frank method. It lights well (maybe because it was too dry ?) and requires no relight even with slow puffs.

Good stuff indeed, but don't expect too much for the cigar taste according to the description. For the blend itself, I rate 4-star. With Penzance which requires forever for its availability, this would be a great alternative.

TardyDuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TardyDuck (4)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Believe it or not, this was the second bowl of tobacco I ever smoked. In my search for knowledge before I started pipe smoking, I became a regular viewer of PipeFriendCHS on youtube. The tobacco that he was most frequently smoking was Cornell and Diehl's Billy Bud. So when I first bought my pipe, I decided this was something I must try.

Because it was the second bowl of my life, it hit a little harder then expected, and I didn't understand why PipeFriend liked it so much.

1 month later, and approximately 15 bowls, I finally get it. This is deffinetly a tobacco that grows on you. If you give it the time it needs and smoke it slowly this will eventually be in your top five, guaranteed.

Strong None Detected Medium Strong

I've had this cellared for 10 months and it is still very spicy hot. I don't get a strong cigar note but rather a full latakia hit. A strong flavor and "n" hit. I don't see much interest here.

Updated 1/14/12- Saw old " Billy" sitting in the back of the cellar so after a year I gave him another chance.Sorry I did, upon French inhaling I got a strong ammonia blast. Well that's it, threw out Billy

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

If you enjoy a good cigar you will like this blend. Well worth a smoke. This is a blend I keep on hand.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Love this stuff when I'm in a cigar/latakia mood. It has a huge latakia taste with a nice background of cigar leaf. Latakia is the dominate taste for sure. Satisfies in all ways, really bold flavor, nice nic hit, and burns great in the pipe. Highly recommended this blend.

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Where to begin. This blend had more latakia than I wanted to taste leaping out of it. "A heavy Latakia blend" should've been my first clue, eh? I'll qualify that by saying, for a long time I was a big latakiaphile too, but lately latakia seems to be wearing on my palate some, so this is purely a subjective judgement. Mine is an unaged sample also, and I suspect some cellaring will help smooth this blend out.

Also, for me a smaller bowl (say probably a group 2) was what it took to bring Billy Budd to life. In the larger one I started him off in, the latakia was almost too much, on top of a background of nutty, even slightly chocolatey. Once I put him in a smaller one, the top half was still latakia dominant, but in the bottom half the latakiitis subsided and allowed the semi-sweet virginia and cigar leaf to really come out nicely. It also seemed like I got a more concentrated nicotine hit.

This was a good blend for smoking round the campfire tonight. After some internal debate I clicked three stars here. Two stars for the first half of the bowl and three and a half for the bottom half (lol)... hopefully aging will draw these closer together.

thomasanswered Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thomasanswered (11)

The cigar and latakia were counterpoised so that I was not satisfied I had either firmly in hand. Enjoying a rich cigar, and a solid latakia in the pipe, I found neither craving was satisfied by Billy Budd.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is deffinatey a mans smoke. If you don't have a full beard now you will after you smoke this. First of all this is a heavy latakia blend with some nice cigar accents. I love it. Do I love it as much as Habana Daydream, no. Mainly because I can only smoke so much latakia. Habana Daydream is an every day smoke for me. Also this is not a very good smelling smoke for others. My wife hates it so I smoke it in the car or if I'm not around her. Also it's heavy on the breath so caution when talking to others. This is one of the best latakia blends and a very good cigar blend. Vitamin N content is average, not as high as Habana daydream or Bayou Night. Maybe the perique is resonsible for the N kick in the those. If you don't like full blends I wouldn't recommend it. If you like to wake up in the morning with a french roast coffee and a pipe full of this, then this is one for you.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Well! This was certainly a full smoke! But it was pretty tasty. I certainly noticed some of the cigar leaf in it and as a long-time cigar smoker, that was familiar and comfortable. It's just a very good smoke.

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I was pleasantly surprised by this blend. C&D did a nice job again! The aroma out of the tin was that of latakia and cigars...which worried me a bit. I didn't want to feel like I was smoking a cigar in my pipe.

Turns out, after several bowls, this is a great latakia blend and the cigar leaf displays itself only occasionally with hints here and there. I loved it. It isn't like the Peter Stok. latakia blends that seem to be a bit sweeter, which I love as well. This blend was more robust and savory. Will be one I have in stock in my cellar for sure!

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

No, no, no, I'm sorry, but this was a huge disappointment. After reading so many good reviews about this blend, and enjoying a good, strong Latakia blend every now and then, I decided to give this a try. I bought four ounces of this from Pipesandcigars.com and that was a mistake.

The aroma as I opened up the bag was not at all agreeable to my senses. It was not a sweet aromatic smell, nor a strong smoky one, but rather a pungent cigar aroma. The cut was rather coarse and the color was almost a light green.

Undeterred by these warning signs, I packed it into one of my favorite briars and lit up. It required a few relights as I worked my way through the bowl, but the flavor from start to finish was consistent - consistently bad! When I smoke a pipe, I want to be smoking pipe tobacco, not a blend that reminds me of a cheap cigar! That was exactly what the taste in my mouth and the room note around me declared about this blend. The cigar leaf overwhelmed all of the other tobaccos and left me with no desire for more. I did persevere through a few more bowls, and even mixed it with a sweet aromatic I had ordered at the same time, but nothing cured it of its undesirable flavor and room note. In the end, I passed this tobacco along to a cigarette smoker. If I do ever end up like Robinson Crusoe, I hope and pray that the barrel of tobacco I salvage from the shipwreck is not Billy Budd!

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Had my hopes up too high for this one. Nothing more than a standard tobacco and didn't really tickle my fancy in any way. Sure, a bowl of this now and then could probably slip in but it is nothing for my regular rotation.

Tastes a little sour and a little perfumed. Decent but nothing more. Overrated.

SakamotoFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SakamotoFan (12)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Strong

This is the second tobacco I've ordered from Cornell & Diehl that was extremely dry, even in the sealed tin. The two C&D tins were from different shops. I will not order anything else from them.

The taste is too strong, like a very dark and heavy cigar and I keep having re-light problems with this. (other tobacco's I smoke light fine, so it's not me)

I would not recommend this tobacco or anything from Cornell & Diehl for that matter. Very over-rated.

kylesdad77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kylesdad77 (4)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My favorite thing about this tobacco is the cigar leaves. Awesome cigar taste and room note. It is the first tobacco I've tried with Latakia in it so it was pretty strong at first. It is definately growing on me. Good stuff.

Ichbinmuede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ichbinmuede (4)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Hmm how best to describe this blend? Well I'd say if it were wrapped in a cigar leaf it would be the best cigar I'd ever had but since it was in my pipe it was all the more enjoyable. I had my first pack in a cob so I could get a full and good understanding of it and I liked it from the first light. As the bowl burned down I found that I liked it more and more. Upon my first smell from the bag I was reminded of the forest, campfires, and leather which are smells that I love and throughout my smoke I was hit with occasional surprises in flavour with some rich chocolate and earth notes. All in all I'd call this a very manly blend. If you're the kind of guy who appreciates his coffee black and the smell of sawdust then this is almost definitely your bowl o' baccy.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Oh Billy Budd....opened an 8oz tin (will be stocking up more of this for the tobacco bar for sure!) WOW!

Rough rotation today, AM pipe of Dunhill MM965, moved on to a mid-morning of Low Country Cooper (grab some of this, another FANTASTIC blend) with a triple espresso...

then and afternoon of Billy Budd-o-licious! Frank~method pack in a Perry White Mag-Dublin Blast 1" English tobacco chamber....man this blend smokes sooooooooooo NICE! Got a subtle sweet taste to start, then perhaps some cocoa/dark chocolate flavors in/out. It burned down to a fine grey ash/no goop burns nice cool and dry

suggestion...grab a few 8oz tins

Pipe Gent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Gent (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

It has been over a year since I finally gave in and purchased a tin of this tobacco. I felt that my recently acquired Boswell Jumbo needed a tobacco as rugged and robust as it, and this really exceeded my expectations. The tin note is that of a usual english for the most part, and even when lighting up the bowl, it has consistently tasted like a very full english top of the bowl. A quarter or so of the way in, however, this quickly changes, and the burley and cigar begin to make star entrances; this is where the blend becomes exceptionally good and makes me come back for more. Half way through the Jumbo, all the components meld together beautifully, and I can taste dark chocolate, leathery cigar, hints of sweetness, and, as a backbone, always the rich latakia. . . Outstanding. My first 2 and a half hour or so experience with this was something akin to a hockey goalie strapped to the net while all his teammates take turns slamming him with pucks--of course, in this case, the teammates were the tobaccos and the pucks the sensations of their tastes hitting me with force and surprise, and I the masochistic goalie enjoying the adventure. I know, terrible metaphor. After I finished the Jumbo, I loaded up a smaller pipe just to get my fix for the evening. Cheers, and enjoy.

Big H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big H (9)
Strong None Detected Full Extra Strong

The opened tin smells like an old football that's dried out from the rain. It's rough, leathery, smokey, and salty. It was drier than some other C&D blends. Upon smoking, it is dominated by the smokiness of Latakia and a strong leathery flavor. Strong, long finish that is kind of salty and not a hint of sweetness. Maybe the leather is the cigar tobacco in the blend. It's called a cigar blend. I've smoked many cigars this blend doesn't taste like I've had. It's not smooth upon first opening, it's rough and tough. It does smooth out a bit with age, however the Latakia and cigar still dominates a very complex experience. Strong, bold, flavors are an acquired taste. I love strong flavors, like a great single malt scotch or cigar. The best combine strength with smoothness. I really enjoy this blend, but I have to be in the mood. Room note is powerful and offensive. My wife calls this Billy's Butt.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

Cigar leaf and Latakia are the dominate players in this blend being held up by the Burley and Virginia like they where crowd surfing, oh yeah this is in your face poking you in the eye balls. Makes a good late afternoon smoke for me with black coffee.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is a blend that I have been wanting to try for some time. Another of those blends that piqued my curiosity, but not enough to put a priority on ordering it. Until now. Very pleased to have recieved this one the the other day in a shipment containing a few staple blends and some discretionary items. After jarring everything from the order and stowing it away in the cellar, I sat down to try Billy Budd.

The tobaccos contained in this blend are very nice looking. A pretty homogenous light brown with a bit of latakia floating around in it. The cigar leaf is apparent in the blend just by looking at it, but that shouldn't be read as overkill. It's just noticable. A much different shade than you normally would see in pipe blends.

Billy was left to air about an hour in the jar with the lid off. The initial aroma in the bag it was shipped in didn't offer much, but after some air time and then another hour with the lid on the jar, it gave off a distinctive aroma. Rich and dark with the promise of an English with a kick of something different.

The packing was easy going and the humidity level was perfect. I find that C&D is really great at getting the moisture level just right. The char light gave off the most satisfying taste and aroma. I nearly broke my arm reaching for another match for the true light! lol

Burn characteristics are fantastic! It does tend to burn readily, and that does mean a bit shorter smoke time, but it does not burn hot by any means. The flavor of the cigar leaf is there, but in the background. Married perfectly to the other components. It's quite complex and harmonious throughout the bowl. The only time that the cigar leaf became dominate was towards the bottom of the bowl, and only briefly. Maybe thirty seconds or so. I attribute this to a larger flake caught at the bottom.

No tongue bite experienced. I did push it a bit, and only got a little bitterness but otherwise behaved well. This is by all means a sipper of a blend and should not be consumed like a hard up sailor on his first leave in 6 months! Slow your cadence down and you will be rewarded with a rich, full, slightly sweet flavor that has the power to relax even the most battle hardened workforce warrior.

The Virginia adds a light sweetness and tang to the experience and the burley adds body and a subtle nuttiness. The latakia seems to tie them all together with it's smokey goodness and gentle character. This is by no means a lat bomb, just full.

My impression is not that this is a powerhouse in the vitamin N dept., but certainly full flavored! Perhaps more in the mid range as far as nicotine goes. Satisfying to be sure, but not something that will put the experienced smoker in a chair with the dizzies.

I can see this becoming a must have for me. It may not become an everyday smoke, but will make it's appearance several times a week. I can recommend this to anyone who likes the fuller bodied smokes in the English genre. Cheers!

misterdub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
misterdub (2)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I've recently fallen in love with the pipe but have been smoking cigars regularly for a few years. This blend marries the two perfectly.

I will say that I disagree with some of the reviews that say it's only a hint of cigar leaf. Maybe in a strict proportional sense this is true but the cigar leaf, in my opinion, is certainly in the forefront of this blend. I don't smoke it all the time for that reason. I've tried to appreciate pipe tobacco for what it is and not immediately try, and get sucked in by, cigar leaf blends. I tend to pull this blend out when I'm having a hoppy IPA or a very smokey scotch, something that some of my other favorite blends can't stand up too. No matter what you may pair/drink with this tobacco, it's flavor is the centerpiece of the evening.

My wife has gotten used to the smell of cigar smoke so she doesn't find the room note too strong. However, the next morning when I go downstairs the smell is still lingering and I find it very strong. I think most non-smokers would not appreciate the room note.

The Layman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Layman (9)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco was actually my first taste of English, and my first love along that line. The pouch smell can drop a bull (or your wife) from 20 feet, but the taste is just superb. I know this is called a cigar blend, but the cigar content is just a small accent on this very tasty mix. I've tried many other English blends since and there is just something extra that sticks out with this one. It smokes cool and woodsy with really no tongue bite. I recommend that you designate a good briar for this blend though as it can definitely leave a ghost in the machine! If you order this in bulk it tends to come overly dry for some reason. I'm still working on a pound that I ordered, so I have no idea whether a tinned version of this will contain more moisture content or not. Overall, this is a terrific blend for kicking back camping among the pine trees, or hanging out with a fishing line and waiting for the next big fish that got away.

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I received a 1oz sample of this and I liked it, and it didn't last very long?. Very velvety on the tongue and somewhat sweet mid-bowl. I did have moisture issues with it though, even after standing overnight ready for the morning coffee. I hate gurgling pipes! I wish I had more to give it time to knock my socks off like the other reviewers, but it just didn't quite get the 4 stars for me. But worth trying, at least once.

diesel._. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
diesel._. (2)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I finally decided to order a 2oz. container of this after discovering it in many of my very experienced pipe smoking friend's collections. I'm very happy I did.

The smell when you open the tin isn't great, but often times tobacco doesn't taste close to how it smells. The flavor is wonderful. I'm not a fan of heavy latakia usage, and I feel there is just the right amount in Billy Budd. I like the taste, but not when it's the ONLY taste. When puffing, the first few seconds after exhale are predominately latakia, which nicely fades into sweeter and milder flavors with the cigar leaf gently coming in without being over-powering at all. The after taste is EXCELLENT. I wouldn't have minded more of a cigar punch since I came from cigars, I just mention this to let non cigar smokers know that it's not a punch to the face.

It burns excellently after I air it out for about 10-15 minutes. I also pack my pipes more loosely than many, so I don't know how this burn when packed more firmly. So far this is the best tobacco I've tried in the year I've been smoking pipes. Aromatics are simply too boring and droll to enjoy, and everything I've ever smoked with latakia has been far to latakia- ish, so I'm happy to say I've found something that isn't too weak or too strong.

This is an everyday smoker for me and one I'll have in my collection for as long as it's in production.

XDipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
XDipper (30)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

It took a while but I finally got around to trying this stuff. The rave reviews it has received are totally justified. In short, this is an exceptional pipe tobacco and I'm jumping on the bandwagon!

Generally, I don't care much for latakia in more than very condimental levels. This one is the exception, the pouch note had me worried because the aroma was predominantly the new tire-like aroma of the camel dung weed. Much to my surprise though, when set afire, the other tobaccos in the blend seemed to balance everything out and the result was an absolutely wonderful smoke. Still very heavy in latakia mind you but it didn't come across as excessively so like in, say, Mountain Camp or Edwards Special Balkan. Much to my delight, Billy Budd didn't give me the "latakia hangover" even when smoked all day exclusively. You know, the latakia hangover, you wake up the morning after a day of heavy latakia smoking and your mouth tastes like a gym sock, your chest feels like someone is standing on it and your heartburn is booming beyond description. Nope none of that here, just a good full flavored, smoke that can and has proceeded directly to the front of the class.

I doubt it, or anything else will ever unseat OJK as top of the heep but this comes close and provides a wonderful one two punch with OJK. Both very full, somewhat similar but at the same time, totally different. If you're a reformed cigar smoker, burleyphile or just someone who enjoys a good full flavored pipe tobacco, this one is must try

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)

I received this as a sample from the local tobacconist. I was looking for something to enjoy on a cool evening when I came across this. I loaded up my Peterson bent apple, grabbed an ale, and sat down to see what the deal was.

I like this tobacco. Rather, I really want to like this tobacco. There's plenty of latakia, but not too much. I found cedar, spice, and a variety of subtleties that reminded me somewhat of Penzance while still remaining distinctly different. It smokes a tad hot. When I settled down and smoked it gently, I enjoyed the flavors. However, there's something about Billy Budd that doesn't quite fill out completely... Being a VaPer guy, I might be slightly put off by the cigar leaf (I like cigars, just not in my pipe) so I can't really say I love this blend. It was just "okay" for me.

For English smokers out there, or VaPer fans who're interested in something a little different, I recommend this. For 'dyed-in-the-wool' VaPer folks, this could end up being a miss. My $.02.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

If you like English/cigar blends then this one is for you. It's hard to describe other than that it's well balanced and has equal elements of spicy pungentness, bitterness, and virginia sweetness. It is not boring to say the least and will keep your tongue entertained for a long time. Don't smoke it in the house though. You'll get a bad "wife rating".

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A pipe tobacco as subtle as Chuck Norris.

I didn't know what to expect from this, but I was curious to try it.

First and foremost, I did enjoy this. But I am a bit surprised by the effusive praise others have lavished on it.

It is very full-flavored, and by that I mean this is a roundhouse kick. This fulness of flavor is matched by a full and heavy texture. While the cigar leaf is only a condiment here, its presence is very evident from the first light. The marriage of Latakia and cigar leaf is mostly a pleasant combination, but to my palate is slightly discordant.

I detected not a hint of sweetness in this smoke, only a rich abundance of savory, leathery and peppery flavors. And I do mean a rich abundance of flavors. Did I mention this is full-flavored?

I liked it.

BerkleePipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BerkleePipester (5)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

My favorite blend indeed. I smoke this everyday. It's my "go-to" tobacco. The "pipe-tobacconess" of this blend comes through on the top but that hint of cigar comes through in just the right ammount.

The tin aroma is that of mostly latakia. As a matter of fact, it smells just like a campfire. it's ready to smoke right out of the tin and it's very smooth. She smokes cool but fast, one of the characteristics i adore about this blend.

Unfortunatly, you need to steer clear of any company that doesn'y appreciate a good cigar. To me it smells great, but to everyone else, it's smells terrible. Shrug

4 stars in my book. Tastes great, smells great, smokes great. Gold in tobacco form. Anyone who appreciates a good cigar should go for this.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As a cigar smoker, I'm bemused by some of the reviews. The cigar leaf in this one is a condiment, and the finish is actually quite short. However, Billy Budd is a very good, full American English pipe tobacco mixture that is well-balanced and interesting. There's plenty of Latakia, but it's not a Lat Bomb by any means -- the burley and Virginia are key components -- and it delivers a relaxing dose of nicotine, but nothing that hits you in the pit of your stomach. Robust and fairly complex, Billy Budd is one of my favorite C&D blends, alongside Engine 99. If there's one drawback, it's that it burns too quickly. Definitely worth a try.

bentontool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bentontool (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased directly from C&D. This is an outstanding blend... one of my favorites. The cigar and Latakia are evident immediately, later down the bowl the Virginia comes through. Good and strong... the way I like it. No tongue bite, lights easily, but requires a few re-lights for me. Great smoke in my Meer-Calabash. I have hoarded away five lb. of this great blend. You will not be disappointed... More to follow after it ages.

Dozer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dozer (2)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I was new to pipe smoking I made the (good) mistake of trying Billy Budd as my second tobacco. At my first light I thought I was smoking a luxurious cigar. Soon the Latakia and Virginia kicked in and it had me enjoying every puff. I found the smell of the smoke to be very sweet and enjoyable. I really haven't found anything like it yet. Most likely because I keep coming back to it again and again. There is nothing like a nice relaxing smoke with some good old Billy Budd. My only complaint is that the Latakia can be a bit much for people new to the taste, but it should handle well with smokers used to it. C&D has really spoiled me, and for as long as they produce Billy Budd they will have my business.

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This stuff is harsh. Can burn your tongue and leave your throat sore. Also leaves a bitter aftertaste.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is definitely not for everyone. Billy Budd has a full, rich, briny flavor that seems to come from a synergy between latakia and cigar leaf. And that's not all. The burley, and VA add depth, some subtle sweetness, and a lot of complexity to the smoke. It's rough around the edges, and is best when smoked with some care. There is enough cigar in it to burn a little if it gets hot, and it can bite some, but it's so good I have a little trouble slowing down. I haven't tasted another blend like this, though some reviewers have drawn comparisons. I disagree with those who say it tastes too cigar-like, though I can see where they're coming from. To my taste, this is definitely more pipe blend than cigar, but it is a unique one. There is plenty of N in this, too, so ride easy. It is a pretty bulky blend, and burns much more quickly than any other in my collection. This is excellent tobacco. I recommend it highly for both pipe and cigar aficionados, but it is not for the faint of heart. Devoted aromatic smokers would do best to steer clear of this one unless they seek the adventure, romance and danger of the high seas.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

If you have a hankering for a good, strong, tasty cigar,(without the outrageous price) this is your blend. Has a kick which will definitely awaken the senses. I have never smoked anything like it, but I really like it. I don't know if it would appeal to new pipers or those who are in love with strict English blends. For a change of place, highly recommended. Might even become a favorite, as I just have an ounce sample a friend shared with me (he was stingy with his pound), I'll have to buy some more and find out! Note: the room note is not going to please the wife or non smokers, so enjoy this somewhere you won't be nagged!

tsd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tsd (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I called in to C&D, and spoke to a gent about switching into their English blends from some other light english, and a few lingering aromatics. I ordered a sample pack of 6 blends, and this led the list. Being that what little they've forgotten about blends is probably more than I know, I simply asked the gent to pick out 6 of the "light english / all day" variety to sample (C&D sent 015, 068, 101, 412A, Bed & Breakfast, and Good Morning)

The order on Monday morning arrived on a Wednesday afternoon via US Priority Mail. The sample packaging was in heavy duty ziplock bags with a Cornell and Diehl label, see uploaded photo.

I gave this tobacco it's first firing in one of my good sized meerschaums that was well cleaned prior to smoking, to attempt to narrow down the flavor, etc. to this blend alone. (my preference, for a first go with any new tobac)

The taste was full but good, the smoke a blue haze . . . Tongue bite for me was noticeably absent at my standard relaxed pace, which surprised me a bit considering the fullness.

The aroma was certainly tolerable to me, but I am not at all sure it would be so to non-pipe folks. I was surprised at this choice given what I'd asked for, but found that I certainly like it. I will definitely continue with this blend . . .

Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

First let me say that I like strong tobacco. I am also a twenty year cigar smoker. I find myself torn with this blend. First, at the risk of redundancy this is a full bodied, smooth, cool burning tobacco. I find it also has a slight sweetness. It packs well and comes pouch ready to smoke. My issue with this is that it simply has too much cigar leaf. If I want that much cigar taste, I'll smoke a cigar. It leaves a very strong ghost in the pipe. I do like blends with cigar leaf, especially the like Compton's Cuban Style. But I prefer cigar leaf in blends that are more balenced. This weed is worth a try, just be sure to dedicate a specific pipe to it. Two and a half stars.

karnevil9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
karnevil9 (17)

A wonderful blend. Very, very, very close in taste to my all-time favorite Crowley's Best. Take the cigar leaf out and you got Crowley's Best. The only complaint I have is that it could be a little stronger. The cigar leaf also leaves a bad taste in your mouth and your breath, but this is excellent stuff. If they kicked the strength up a few notches I wouldn't smoke anything else. Herman Melville would be proud of Billy Budd. I can't imagine anyone not liking this. 5 stars for Billy Budd.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

On the one hand, I love the flavor of English and Balkan blends. On the other, I don't like the fact that so few of them deliver an appreciable nicotine fix. Billy Budd is the exception, and boy what an exception it is! Although it is advertised as a cigar blend, I tend to think of it as an American English on steroids. There is certainly a cigar note to this, but I taste primarily burley and latakia with just a hint of sweetness from the Va. This is a very well-executed mixture, not at all complex but nonetheless very absorbing. Hats off again to C&D -- I've taken to smoking this on a regular basis. One note: When ordered directly from C&D, this stuff is way too "green" and needs at least a couple of months in a jar before smoking. Otherwise, this merits at least three stars.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I opened this bag of treasure to the smell of cedar and hickory. It actually made me crave barbecue. I put a little bit in a small Dr. Grabow pipe to sample it, but circumstance was not on my side and I got no chance to really experience it.

I am smoking it now as I am typing it an MAN what a tobacco! I have found it in many cases not to trust reviews, but that is not the case with Billy. I do not see how any pipe smoker could not appreciate this tobacco. I can taste the cigar leaf, but it is something like from comfortable medium bodied stick and not overpowering. This tobacco has just the right kick to it to be thoroughly enjoyed. Extremely good for after dinner, and very cool and smooth. I will make sure to add this to my repertoire of smokes.

Highly Recommended! Cheers.

EHATHAWAY Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EHATHAWAY (4)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Every C&D blend I have tried has been weak in every aspect. In fact, the only one that comes close to a good smoke is the Pirate Cake. As for the rest however, forget it... Wish they were better!

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Cigar anyone? Latakia anyone? Nicotine fix anyone? Billy Budd answers the bell on all three counts and delivers a knockout punch!

The combination of the Latakia/Cigar/Virginia/Burley makes for an unusual presentation both in the tin and at the match. The tobacco burns smoothly and cool. No sweetness here... just a plain old tobacco taste. Nothing subtle about Billy Budd either; it's combination of flavors and strength slapped me around like no other cigar leaf blend I've ever tried.

Speaking of getting slapped, don't kiss the spouse immediately after smoking this one.

Sparks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sparks (7)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Wow, yet another winner from our friends at C&D. Sailorman Jack really knew how to smoke, cause this stuff is the "bee's knees". Not an all day, or even everyday smoke for me, but definitely in my list of tobacco to stockpile.

I ordered a sample of this from one of the e-tailers that offers bulk samples. It is hard to find bulk samples of the C&D blends, but they are out there. It came a bit dry and with shipping for the 4 oz. was quite pricey. I tossed a few moisture discs into the bag and let it sit for a couple days. I wasn't looking for wet, but just a bit more moisture to make sure the tobacco didn't burn like a hay field.

You can see the cigar leaf in this blend. Though it isn't predominant, it is noticeable in the blended ribbons. The smell of the bag is delicious, but I love strong blends and I enjoy a good cigar here and there. The tobacco packs easy, burns well and will leave just ash in the bottom of your bowl. This one packs a wallop, there is a lot of flavor and if you don't like cigars, don't buy it. I don't think you will make any friends with the room note either, so use caution when smoking around crowds. Overall, a good stout blend. A lot smoother than I expected.

If you are a lover of strong, rich tobacco, you should enjoy this, if you don't like cigars, stay away. Those that say it tastes too much like a cigar ... It's a cigar blend, hello!

Nothingfancy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nothingfancy (6)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

My second favorite tobacco. Came a little dry though. Burns to a very fine white ash. I noticed people saying it tasted too much like cigar. I disagree. It just tasted a little more full than I was expecting, which was a delightful surprise.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Velvety is the first word that comes to my mind when I think of Billy Budd. The combination of Virginia, Burley, Latakia and cigar leaf C&D achieved with this mixture is nearly perfect. Although the cigar smoker may find the leaf used here a couple of steps below top grade, it greatly enhances the natural flavors of topnotch Virginias and wonderfuly interplays with Latakia to deliver one of the most gratifying smokes a pipe tobacco can provide.

Needless to say, due to the cigar component DGT doesn't work on this blend. In fact, smoking a left off bowl can be disgusting.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Update 2/6/2010:

Raising my recommendation to 4 stars. Time is very kind to this blend. I have a mason jar full which is 2 years old and boy is it great. The sweetness is a bit greater, it is utterly biteless, and the latakia more balanced by the other tobaccos. I also think the nicotine is a bit more subdued, but it could also be I have a higher tolerance. Smoke it in a large bore pipe and it will burn well and taste great with big billows of smoke. Definitely one for cellaring.

Original review 12/30/2008:

This is about as full and in your face as a tobacco can get, kind of like America's answer to Dunhill Nightcap. The burley, latakia, and cigar leaf really marry together well, though latakia runs the show despite all the cigar leaf I see in there. This is a manly, meaty, tough-guy smoke which is full and rich yet very smooth on the palate. The aroma will clear a room full of non-smokers in an instant, though I love the scent of the latakia and cigar leaf. The high nicotine level will have you up and jumping in no time.

I have had this tobacco in both pressed and loose form and recommend you get it pressed as it is immediately ready to smoke (a first for C&D). In loose form, you really need to age it for at least 6 months or it will have some bite to it. After 6 months, it tastes pretty much the same as when pressed, so you might as well take the shortcut.

My only criticism of this blend is the crazy cut. There are 6" strips of cigar leaf mixed with big chunks of other tobaccos, making this difficult to evenly pack and pretty much impossible to pack into a small bore pipe. Still, this is one of the better cigar leaf blends I've tried, far better than GL Pease Robusto or Mclelland's offerings. It's use of burley really sets it apart from the crowd. I would rank it third behind the now defunct Mr. Alfred's Own and Peretti's Cuban Mix. Goes great with a Guinness Stout.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

5-3-08 My tastes run to strong natural tobacs so 'Billy Budd' is square in my ballpark. This is tobacco without any bells or whistles. Good tobacco...strong tobacco! When you finish a pipe of this you'll know you had a smoke. Wonderful stuff.

7-7-08 Guess I better upgrade my review to 4 stars as Billy Budd has become my all day, everyday smoke. The other jars in my meger cellar are just gathering dust. With a 50 year pipe smoking history, I can finally be happy with just this one blend.

DownSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DownSouth (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A new favorite of mine! I just ordered a pound from the great folks over at C&D after finishing my 2 oz sample I ordered last year. As someone who smoked cigarettes for many years, I seek stronger blends that taste like tobacco - this one fills the bill on every count! The cut is a little strange, with some larger leaves mixed in, but moisture level is perfect and packing a breeze. And the smoke - very tasty from start to finish. I don't know about different flavors wafting in and out or anything like that, just a good solid "meaty" taste from puff one - four stars in my book!

Fumatore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fumatore (48)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Update 5/26/2010: I am downgrading this tobacco one star due to some kind of change in the taste of the blend. Tastes cheaper overall, perhaps a lower quality Latakia or Burley? I noticed in my last two orders that the cut has changed from a somewhat wild, rough mix, which is okay, but the blend now has a different taste. Not quite the same tasty mix as before and I now believe C&D's 420: Habana Daydream to be the better choice for a cigar leaf blend.

Original Review: If I were to have to choose between a good cigar and a good pipe, and if money were no object, I believe I would choose a cigar. With that in mind, this pipe tobacco has to be the best of the cigar leaf blends. The blend is rich and full, for those who appreciate a strong cigar. And contrary to some other reviews, I find myself reaching for it throughout the day, especially when I don?t have time to just sit down and relax with a fine pipe tobacco blend (and 90% of my cellar is English). If you have tried other cigar leaf blends but did not care for them, and assuming you like a stout Maduro cigar, you owe to yourself to try a couple of ounces of Billy Budd. The only negative I could find with this blend is that the very bottom of the bowl can be fairly rough of the taste buds.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant

Sailorman Jack's passion for English blends with cigar leaf is what led to the development of Billy Budd, one of the finest pipe tobaccos I've ever smoked. This is a blend for those who truly appreciate a full-flavored tobacco. It also comes closer to offering the pleasure of a fine cigar than any other cigar-leaf blend I've tried.

I think the key here is the strong, stout burley, which blends with the cigar leaf and latakia to lend a heavy bottom note to the mixture. Cigar leaf responds to this in a way that it never does when mixed with Virginia. This blend is absolutely delicious (my mouth waters when I fill my pipe), doesn't bite, and really satisfies, with a nicotine buzz that only cigar leaf and burley can offer.

This is not an all-day blend (at least to me), but I do smoke it more than any other pipe tobacco. I can't recommend it enough.

PS: I also have several ounces of this in pressed form. Whoa nelly, that's some strong stuff! I actually prefer it unpressed.

A very, very good cigar blend!This really is for the cigar fancier. I generally like cigar blends and this is no exception.It has great ,deep flavor of a good,but not great Maduro cigar.There is also plenty of Latakia to add to the flavor.It smokes cool and dry. This blend has no bite at all and really belongs in every English Blend Lovers rotation.The only reason I am giving it 3 instead of 4 stars is the following:This really is more of a cigar with pipe tobacco added than it is a pipe blend with cigar added. A must try for cigar and English blend smokers. Nothing like 123 Mixture or Churchill,but more like Robusto by Pease.3 of 4 stars!

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Extremely Strong None Detected Full Strong

ever had a cigar-smoking friend that wanted to try pipesmoking? if they like strong cigars in maduro wrappers, you have found their blend. this is another very full english blend from C&D, with a lot of latakia and cigar leaf. the cigar leaf is very apparent in the flavor, actually more so than the latakia, IMHO. this one would definitely be a tobacco that you either loved or hated, i don't think there would be much middle ground. i smoked it in a large bent peterson, a striker long draw, and an XL kirsten. the cigar flavor was more pronounced in the peterson, and i found i liked it better in this pipe. the burn and lighting were average for a C&D blend, which would be a "good" rating for anyone else. craig's blends have always been very good in this regard. i smoke billy budd when i'm in the mood for a good macanudo cigar, which i usually can't afford. if you like a lot of latakia and/or good cigars, definitely try this one. 3 stars.

Nojoqui Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nojoqui (28)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I won't add the basics of what the other reviewers have written about Billy Budd. It's nice to have a tobacco that tastes just like that: Tobacco. I don't let the Maduro get in the way, because it seems to me there's no way to compare it to a Maduro wrapper cigar. It's just different in that it does taste like Latakia to me with a small dose of burley and bright Virginia added for character and sweetness. My sister likes the room note. We grew up in a Latakia fogged household. I've been Latakia bound all of my life. I love it. Besides with her name being Virginia she has no choice but to like it! Kind of an alternative to Old Joe Krantz without the Perique. It should be more popular than it is. Another C&D Blend that should be tinned.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is the only C&D blend I can smoke when the latakia urge hits. My buddy, Bob Runowski, made up another blend of Burleys and Latakia called Beecher Gwinn that was as good as this stuff, but C&D didn't pick it up and market it. The sample I'm smoking is over 2 years old but I can't see that the tobaccos in there have married at all. It's a heavy Latakia and heavy Connecticut cigar leaf blend (my stash doesn't say anything about Maduro leaf) and is much better for the cigar smokers than C&D's Grey Ghost(awful stuff). The burn is excellent and there's no trouble lighting it. I usually load the pipe and blow through the bowl to get it the way I want and go with it. For my tastes, this is the best Latakia blend I've ever had, but I also smoke cigars and enjoy the full flavor of them. Highly Recommended for the fancier of strong tasting baccy, but 1792 is too much. EW

fervor06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fervor06 (11)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The First time I had this tobacco,

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Total refurb of my previous two star review. After about a year in the jar, this stuff has become absolutely sublime. Rich, smooth, toasty, flavorful, full, delicious! I don't believe I have ever witnessed such a dramatic change from a year of aging. I am very, very happy that I grabbed a pound of it when I did, and you can be sure I'll be stashing away a few more pounds as soon as possible. The best cigar blend I've tried to date, and one of the best blends of any kind in my cellar.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

In november 2008 this blend (which I received then fresh fron C&D) was just terrible due to extreme harshness. I tried some bowls, wrote a one star review and put the tobacco in a sealed jar. I almost forgot this jar, but going through my tobacco stock I last week I decided to give it another try, before dumping it definitely. What a pleasant surpise! this tobacco has turned into a full, smooth and creamy smoke! Excellent! An unbelievable transformation. Now 4 stars, no doubt.

Original Review: Reading the reviews so far I fully agree with all of them. Except for the recommendation part: I just don't like a pipe tobacco which only delivery is a latakia blast and a cigarette like experience. PS in general I really do like cigar blends, especially when the cigar leaf is combined with ripe Virginia (as in the McClelland and Pease cigar blends)