A modern approach to a traditional mixture. Black
Cavendish, toasted Burley, Orientals and bright Virginias
are gently mixed with apricot and natural sweetness.
Soft and mellow with a pleasing aroma and a delicate
taste.

3.2
Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The tin note is a fantastic apricot, peach smell. The ribbon cut tobacco was just a little wet, but was easy to pack and light. The tin note translates directly into a wonderful room note that I cannot imagine anyone not liking.

The tobacco itself is of high quality and offers a mild, slightly nutty, slightly sweet taste. Unlike some other aromatics, this one burns nice an cool, allowing you to really relax while smoking this.

This is probably the best aromatic I have smoked so far.

Pipe Used: Meer

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

A tobacco smokers aromatic. Nice coconut, vanilla, fruity smell in the tin, yet the casings/flavoring are not heavy and the blend is not goopy. The mix has a predominantly tan/brown color from the burley, virginias and orientals. The balck cavendish is mixed in with a light hand; just a smattering of BC throughout.

The smoke is very pleasant and enjoyable. Slightly sweet taste, maybe a litle nuttiness from the burley. The aromatic casings/flavoring don't overpower the smooth virginas and orientals. Nice kind-of-salty finish to each puff.

This blend is very competitive with some of the equally excellent "big name" aromatics I've tried over the years. An excellent aromatic and a very pleasant surprise, especially for the price.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (23)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I like Melange for it's unique apricot cheesecake flavor. But there are some drawbacks...

Extreme ghosting of the PIPE (pleasant though). Hot burning tobacco with occasional flare up. Flavor fades substantially after tin is opened. High sugar content makes for a messy pipe.

What I do with Melange....

Mix Melange with Black Cavendish for an interesting but easier smoking experience.

Layer Melange under Virginia for a milder yet sweet smoke.

Open the can and smell Melange when there isn't any dessert around.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: There's nothing like it!.

Rob  Roy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob Roy (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Excellent tobacco if you are an aromatic kind of pipe smoker. Patience while smoking this tobacco and the flavors will come through. The room note is easy on my wife and daughter's sense of smell. A bit pricey but I got it on sale.. Says imported by Lane Limited hmmm.?

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billard

Purchased From: P&C

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I have to admit to liking this blend, which gets a bad rap from many reviewers and forum posters. It has the most exquisite tin note of apricots and cream. Divine. With the understanding that aromatics rarely taste like their tin note, I'll give this one points for room note and being an excellent choice when the occasion calls for an aromatic. Beware- it has a tendency to ghost a pipe. No worries as I have dedicated a Foreverstemmed cob. In-laws are therefore pleased when I select this blend around the holidays for indoor smoking. You can choose much worse. I just wish Stanwell would come out with some kind of candy that tasted as this tin smells.

Update 10/2013: This blend really benefits from being mixed 50/50 with a blend like Carter Hall or, even better, Mac Baren Burley London Blend. Smooths it out and increases the smokability while preserving the unique aroma.

PipeChick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeChick (2)

Upon opening the tin, I was greeted by a fruity-fudge caramel aroma. The taste and aroma on the char light was wonderful....it sort of reminds me of Davidoff Blue, but has more of a nutty vanilla-fudge and coconut taste, and not overpowering. I didn't didn't get the apricot notes at the beginning of the bowl, but found just a hint of it in the middle, but only when I pressed my tongue up against my top palate a few times. It packs fine and doesn't bite. Small sips make the flavor shine.

Toward the bottom of the bowl, the nuttiness prevailed (for me anyway). It reminds me of a Filipino dessert that my mother used to make (that has coconut and a fire roasted taste to it). Maybe that's why I'm liking this blend.

For anyone that likes aromatics or is just starting out, I'd recommend this. This is going in to my rotation for sure.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics but I do enjoy the good ones. This one rates right at the top. Packs ok, a little moist but not goopy, amazing room note, no bite, fruity yet with a sound tobacco taste. Is there a pipe tobacco group of Aromatic English blends? If so, this would be one of the pack leaders. My plan is to keep this on hand, cellar some for aging and find a pipe to devote to this blend. Not because it ghosts but because I don't want anything to ghost it. My angel wife gives this one two thumbs up.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

It is the only tobacco I've found that has a tin smell, smoking taste and room note that are all similar to each other. It tastes like apricots and cream. I used to wonder how it could be said that a blend was creamy tasting. Now I understand. This is not the sort of blend that that you would want as part of your everyday diet - it's more of a occasional nightcap type of baccy. The casing isn't subtle. It grabs you by the throat and brow beats you with an apricots and cream flavored club. That said, this blend is refined in the sense it smokes cool and dry and it doesn't bite. It would be highly recommended if the topping didn't overwhelm the natural tobacco taste quite so much.

Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you like peach and apricot in your pipe then try this blend. This mixture delivers an outstanding fruity aroma with delicious flavor and creamy/nutty taste, the tobacco quality is top notch, the smoke is dry and cool with no bite at all, room note is outstanding.

I highly recommend this blend for new pipe smokers as well as veterans, this is for you dessert after dinner smoke.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Decided to christen my new Stanwell Vario with some pipe weed of the same name. The 50g tin has a classy look about it. Upon opening, your nostrils are overwhelmed with the scents of citrus and apricot. Definitely a nice tobacco to smoke during the warmer months here in New England with its fruity aroma.

I don't think this blend requires much drying but I am reviewing it a year after opening it originally and it's still fine. Burns nice and evenly with no need to relight after getting it started. The taste is very sweet to me with the flavor of the apricot coming through strongly. The burley acts as a nice base, imparting a bit of its nutty disposition into the mix. Unlike most aromatics, I find the flavor stays pretty consistent with the Melange throughout the bowl. The oriental and VA peak a little bit in and out during the later half of the bowl adding a little bit of spiciness to the fruit.

Overall, a very enjoyable aromatic if that's your thing (which it is for me). I would certainly recommend this to new pipe smokers that want to enjoy sweetness without the bite. Also, quite light in the nicotine department. Stanwell Melange is a spicy apricot tobacco ripe for summer smoking in your backyard and quite enjoyable with a little bit of brandy as well.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Aroma in tin translates to a smooth, buttery vanilla/fruit flavor combo. The very good base tobaccos are reminiscent of those in Stanwell Vanilla. Hints of citrus and raisin also come through, generating a somewhat Creamsicle flavor at times. Cool burn, very tasty when sipped. 3+.

Pipe Used: Peterson, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 07-OCT-2012

Purchased From: CI

Similar Blends: Very good base tobaccos similar to Stanwell Vanilla.

Vaidis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vaidis (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Its my second tabacco and i like it very much. Smoked a couple bags and still didnt learn it. However pipe goes very dirty, feel 100% of it is hard maybe because of my smoking or pipe.

jdemdstr5 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jdemdstr5 (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This was my first can of pipe tobacco, it almost turned me off to becoming a regular.

The tobacco can details an apricot flavor, I can not sense anything close to apricot just many types of creamy vanilla.

Smoking this stuff is a challenge, it burns hot and spicy, if you smoke it too slow it doesn't feel like you're getting a consistent puff, and smoke too fast it will tongue bite you hard.

People compliment the smell regularly, I've yet to get anything but positives on this. I had a bicyclist stop down the street just to tell me it smells AMAZING.

I recommend if smoking the Stanwell Melange to not take big puffs, you will be disappointed with the taste and effects on the throat.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was gifted to me by JonesyPipe, thanks Jeff! The tin note is akin to a coconut cake or a caramel coffee creamer. The flavoring or scent that they are using is quite strong in the tin note and room note when smoked. The actual taste in the mouth is quite lite as well as the nicotene content.I am not a normal aromatic smoker so I could only see myself smoking this on a rare occasion that I go to an aromatic. This is not a bad blend in my opinion it is just that there are so many other great blends out there. When I go to an aromatic it is typically a C&D blend which most are superior to this in my opinion. I would recommend this to an aromatic smoker to try or maybe to someone who is very conscious of non smokers around them.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Nice aromatic, take a small pouch with me once a week as a change up has a little bite definitely a keeper.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Even Police Constables can use a whack of ginger at times. That's when I reach for my Melange.

A nice Virginia based aromatic. Dry to the touch. The orientals give it a rich flavor. And it's very fragrant and satisfying.

But does it smell good? Mrs Plod's sister Gwladys is visiting from Wales. She "presents" every time I smoke this, once Honoria departs the sitting room of course.

But I will not be distracted from my pipe, despite Gwladys' rather shapely hindquarters. This is a very fine pipe tobacco indeed.

pattonpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pattonpiper (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Open the tin and enjoy. Good for a coffee or tea night/day. Flavor isnt carried right over but you can taste the subtleness of the blend. Smooth half way in but gets a bit frontal with bitterness i have come to find some aroms have. As far as the vitiman n id still look shortly after for another bowl. Its not bad but not great either. Give it a go or not.

I was given a two bowl sample of Melange and Vanilla so this review is based on only a very small sample. The blend is quite sauced and lives up to its namesake. It burns dry and is sweet throughout. But, I simply didn't find it to my liking. It burned much hotter than other aromatics that I enjoy. It could be a body chemistry thing or the size of the sample as I generally want to know a blend more before reviewing it, but that would mean buying more and that won't happen. I also didn't like the aftertaste. A lot of folks like it, so you may as well, but it's not for me.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried the Stanwell vanilla and found it to be exceptional and one I will frequent. Melange is very aromatic with a definite and almost heavy cocoanut. Taste was in the good category, not great.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)

Yet another tobacco you can't get in the UK.

So I ordered this from the continent.

It has an amazing open tin fragrance second only to Davidoff's Danish. Indeed it is somewhat Danish in it's character.

A Vanilla/honey bomb that explodes on the pallet. Yes it's true it even comes through in the smoke. How many blends can you say that about ? Not too many.

It doesn't last all the way to the bottom of the bowl. In fact it can go a little sour after rest. It can also bit a bit of a bugger to keep alight.

The really disappointing thing is the room note. I thought after that extraordinary tin opening scent, it was going to be something special. Mrs RW hasn't made any comment at all which I am very surprised at.

A fine blend though and, if you are fond of aromatics, you'll want to try this one for sure. I'm halfway through the tin and it hasn't got boring. I hope it doesn't.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)

Very interesting taste and one i like. I also like the topping at first char, after that it plays second fiddle.

takisg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takisg (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent aromatic, right humidity, so you can light it up upon opening the pouch! Burns to the end smoothly, doesn't heat the pipe, no tongue bites at all. I wish though it had a bit more “body” Light it up, close your eyes and you are in the middle of an apricot orchard! Highly recommended!

NighTChill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NighTChill (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Such a wonderful tobacco! Not so expensive, but exceptionally good and its perfect room note will fit every place! Highly recommended!

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (12)

This came with a starter pipe set, and I'm pleased that it did, because I have tended to stay away from fruity flavored tobaccos, leaning more toward vanillas and the chocolatey goodness of a Cavendish, or a nice honey toned casing. However, this tobacco is mild on the apricot and well-rounded. The fruitiness remains in the tin, with just a light citrus note surfacing during the smoke. Mild, smooth, cool and fresh, is how I would describe this tobacco. Definitely will get more of this.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I gave this one a try, even though I generally don't like aromatics with fruit flavorings. I liked this one. I didn't notice it being particulary hot. I liked the tin aroma and the flavor. My wife gave it a mixed to not-so-good review. She said the tin aroma was good, but the room note was more akin to ... um ... well ... urine. She told me that I'd have to smoke this one outside. I like it, but I'm not sure I like it that much.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I like aromatics and after reading the reviews for this blend, decided to give it a try. Smells wonderful in the can, just the right amount of moisture. Packs well and stays lit without much work. Really pleasant smoke, a bit of a bite if smoked too quickly but otherwise very enjoyable tobacco. Definitely worth a try especially if you are new to pipes. Sip slowly to avoid tongue bite! Nice full tobacco, will keep this in my regular rotation!

flakey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakey (43)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Melange indeed. After several bowls, I find the main theme to be of caramel, closely shadowed by almond, then chocolate. Apricot is present but I found that it tended to stay in the back. I certainly appreciate the effort the blender put in to this one. The flavorings performed well and hung in there almost to the bottom of the bowl.

Regrettably I can't award a medal finish to this Melange though, due to the bite factor. The bite wasn't nearly as bad as with Ashton's Rough,, er I mean Smooth Sailing, in fact with Melange I was able to keep the bite almost totally at bay... but it was definitely there in the shadows like a panther waiting to pounce.

All in all a pretty good deal at a mere $6 and some change for this tin of fine tobacco. Three stars.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is such a wonderfully pleasant aromatic tobacco. I love the apricot and citrus flavors which beautifully compliment the sweetness of the Cavendish and Virginias. I couldn't detect much in the way of Orientals. This is one of those rare aromatics that actually tastes like the tin aroma. For me it is a nice evening after-dinner tobacco. It's like a nice cordial to be sipped slowly. The room note is lovely too. After the tin has been opened for a couple weeks, the flavoring does get much weaker, as one would expect. However, its still pretty nice.

Ibitz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ibitz (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am also a big lover of aromatics. And this is a really good one. Very smooth, easy to light, and great aroma. Burns nice. very different flavor than most. Bought this on a whim, and I'm glad I did. Will always make sure I have some sitting around.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is somewhat similar to Blue Note as far as flavor. I do however enjoy it more than Blue Note, as it doesn't bite like Blue Note can.

Lights and packs easy, tin note and room note are superb. I recommend this to any and all aromatic smokers. Good job to Stanwell.

Pairs well with an iced tea.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

If you smoke aromatics, Melange is a must try. Delightful taste and aroma awaits the smoker with this one-of-a-kind blend.

In a world of so and so's vanilla or so and so's chocolate, Stanwell has come up with something different with this apricot+ mixture.

Recommended.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This came in a starter pipe gift pack that I gave to a friend who wants to give up cigarettes, so I loaded my pipe with it as I showed him how to load his. This is perhaps one of the best aromatics I have ever tried and my favorite in its genre by far. The tin note was of butterscotch with a hint of orange (they say apricot). It packed well and took to the match beautifully. It tasted as it smelled throughout the smoke and never became goopy, never smoked hot, nor was it harsh or bitter. It reminded me a bit of Troost Aromatic Cavendish, but better. The flavor doesn't really translate throughout the entire bowl with Troost, and there is a tendency toward bitterness at times. Not so with Melange. A pleasant smoke that retains its tobacco essence. Recommended to newbies and seasoned vets alike. The room note was fantastic! For a bit more body, I mix some with half a flake of Wessex Burley Slice or Aged Burley Flake for a truly delicious smoke.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was surprised by how much I liked this blend. I am mainly a virginia/vaper smoker but I was looking for a change one evening. I had a pouch of this that my local tobacconist was giving out when this blend first came out.

I loads extremely easy and stays lit for a long time. I had thought that this blend was too damp in the beginning but it burned like a champ.

I do not get the apricot smell that others get. I usually smell something akin to caramel and roasted marshmellows. My sample was aged for a bit though and that may be the reason for the difference in aroma and taste.

I have bought a couple of tins of this to have around. It won't be my everyday smoke but it is one of the better aromatics that I have tried.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN AROMATIC TO PLEASE THE OLD LADY AND THAT YOU CAN ENJOY THIS IS IT. THE ORIENTAL FLAVOR IS IN THE FRONT AND THE BURLEY IS ALWAYS THERE. THIS BLEND WILL NOT GUNT UP YOUR PIPE OR LEAVE ANY FLAVORING BEHING. THERE IS A APRICOT AROAM THAT YOU THE SMOKER WILL GET EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE BUT OTHERS WILL SMELL A COTTON CANDY AROMA. i ACTUALLY ENJOY THIS BLEND. IF YOU ENJOY A SCOTISH BLEND THEN TRY THIS AS YOUR CROWD PLEASER.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was in at my local shop, one where they have moved almost exclusively to loose tobacco. However, while digging around as I talked to the clerk and made my "buckshot the barn door" selection when trying a new blender, I stumbled across this tin.

I bought it and took it over to a friend's house. She loved the smell. I was even more impressed however, as the smoke was, well, incredible. Great "tin smell". Easy to light and keep lit. Cool burning. I didn't have any goop, but I can see how some might depending on smoking style and whether they had a damper tin.

I did have a bit of trouble loading it with the tobacco cut as another reviewer had stated. However, in the grand scheme, this is such a minor flaw the four stars remain.

The overall note really is a dialogue between apricot and creme brulee. The fruit is present throughout, but a much deeper and more satisfying caramel flavor (hence the "burned sugar" desert reference). I found the apricot kept it light and interesting, whereas nothing but caramel would get a bit tiresome as the pipe progressed.

Granted, I'm an unabashed aromatic smoker, but I love this tobacco. I'll be keeping this in my rotation for sure.

Edit:

So, I've been smoking it for a few more days now. It's dried out a bit and I think it's even better. Still has the caramel/apricot (tho the fruit has faded a bit), but one also gets a bit of really "tobaccoey" flavor- a very minor amount in comparison to a non aromatic, but noticeable. It's been burning very slowly and the pipe remains quite cool. If nothing else, the drying out in the travel pouch has shown the quality of tobacco used.

Still highly recommended.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In August 2009 “depserado” gave me a tobacco he had in his celar since September 2008. I took it with reserve as I didn't like its name: Melange Stanwell. I was mistaken, DREADFULLY. A stunning aromatic tobacco that was well matured. Maybe that was what made it so exquisite. Lightly aromatic, with an exceptional fruity flavor of apricot. I still haven't mentioned its components: Black Cavendish, toasted Burly, Orientals and bright Virginia. Perhaps it's the oriental that makes it so unique. The only slip off this tobacco has is its cut, which makes filling relatively difficult. At the end it leaves some minor sludge, which may have been more if the tobacco wasn't aged for a year.

South Mantis06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
South Mantis06 (12)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Melange is a good blend, I didn't find anything outstanding about it though. It had a nice flavor, and my wife had a decent comment regarding the room note. I did notice though on a second light after having let it set awhile, that the flavor seemed to diminish and actually became somewhat unpleasant. Subsequent bowls did not render the same experience however. Perhaps something leftover over in the pipe mixed in and didn't go together too well. It has a nice taste, but not something I'd smoke all the time. I might buy a .99 cent trial pack every so often though. Would go quite well with an after dessert apertif- a nice brandy or sherry perhaps. A good holiday tobacco.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)

I ordered this blend because I like apricots. I'm also looking for an aromatic to smoke around my girlfriend, who kindly accepts my pipe smoking without complaining. Not being used to European aromatics, it took me a couple of bowls to appreciate Melange. I found that drying it out extensively improves the burning qualities and lessons the aromatic flavor. Only time will tell, but this may be a blend I buy again. The components are first-rate and the aroma is very pleasing. There is not an overabundance of black cavendish. Virginia predominates, with some burley added for coolness. The oriental is minimal, but delightfully present. You can actually taste the tobacco. A very novel concept for an aromatic. Very pleasant aftertaste. Bravo!

ofelia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ofelia (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I just finished a big bowl of this on my vauen pipe, and i have to say that,together with the Peterson´s conoisseurs choice,it is so far my favourite tobacco.It dosen´t leave any harshness neither on the toungue nor on the palate, the flavour is full and smells like good aromatics should,sweet but without disturbing the qualities of the tobacco.Burns beautifully even and never goes of.The qualities of the toasted leaves and it´s sweetness can very much be percieved. Cavendish,virginias,toasted burley,apricot:that is heaven on a bowl Great with a good cup of aromatic or spieced tea.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Nice aromatic tobacco, well balanced. It reminds me of Peterson's Connoisseur's choice, but it seems to me a little lower (very little). Good smoke, no bite, recommended.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)

Boy oh boy great room note! Apricot, peach, garden herbs...The tobacco itself is pretty mild, but all said and done I might buy another tin of this weed. If you're looking for a pleasantly mild smoke that's respectable without being a superstar, it's probably worth a try.

farzinforoughi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farzinforoughi (1)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

irecommended this tobacco for everyone who wants a p[easent smell in room

jerryd65641 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jerryd65641 (6)

I like to refer to this as my "desert" tobacco. This is the only blend that I am allowed to enjoy in the house (my wife thinks is smells like "crem brule"). It is a very plesent blend.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (33)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It's been about 10 years since I last smoked an aromatic. I don't know why this particular weekend I felt the need to crack open one of the many samples I've procured through various pipe tobacco forums. In any case it sat in a little Mason jar for a good 4 or 5 months at the back of my cellar just waiting for the right moment. Since spring is, mostly, here I figured something light and sweet would be the ticket. The only thing that fit was this aromatic so I loaded up a cob and off I went.

At first match I noticed something was certainly missing. Bite. I can recall how badly I would get bitten from aromatics in the past and that's one of the reasons I gladly passed them up even if free. More pipe smoking experience didn't hurt either since I've learned to tame blends that have bitten me in the past. Age and wisdom can be a wonderful thing. After a couple of charring lights I got the blend going and it was actually quite pleasant. A nice caramel taste that was backed up by a sharpness of apricot flavor. When I say sharpness I don't mean bite, I mean it was a pleasant sharpness much like you get from sharp cheddar. Maybe "tang" would be a better descriptor. I smoked about half of the bowl and set down my pipe. The half of the bowl I smoked was quite enjoyable and had some tobacco flavor along with the aro components. It all worked together quite well and I was very impressed. This gave me new found hope for quality aros out there. I still prefer English or burleys but for a change of pace this will most assuredly fit the bill.

Now I mentioned that I set my half smoked pipe down. I left it in the garage over night just for an experiment. I came back the next day to see if the there was any changes a good DGT would do to the blend. I lit up and the caramel note was gone and I could taste decent quality Virginias along with that faint note of apricot. It had changed but was still quite good and I can tell that the tobacco used was of a good quality. The blend notes mentioned a little bit of Oriental in the mixture and the DGT brought out a faint note of them. Possibly Basma since it was a very faint sweetness similar to FMOTT but my taste buds may be mistaken.

All in all I enjoyed this aro even though I haven't smoked them for quite some time. I'm glad I stepped outside of my tobacco comfort zone because I plan on acquiring a couple of tins just for a change of pace.

ColtraneM3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColtraneM3 (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This has quickly become one of my favorites since I purchased a tin a week ago. It needs a little drying when the tin is first opened, but no more than most aromatics do. The room note, though, is my favorite thing about this tobacco. In the tin, despite what it says about apricots, it smells decidedly like caramel, it has a very dark caramel/fruit-ish flavor which is nice after dinner, and leaves a remarkable caramel scent behind for hours after you're done smoking. An excellent dessert tobacco, I give it my highest recommendation, it will not disappoint!

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is that kind of tobacco that shows quality and good taste all over, no doubts, but I don't like the peachy taste, don't take me wrong, it is a great blend but not for my taste. If you love Apricots, Peaches, etc. this your blend, look no further, I do prefer berries than peaches. There is not bite at all and the quality of this blend jumps at the end of the bowl, excellent for a mellow blend.

Watson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Watson (20)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

The best of all Stanwell blends!

It has all the advantages of the Stanwell tobaccos (no moisture, burns to the end, no tongue bites, smooth burning) and has it is own “especial” aroma.

My fave of all times!

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Bland, apricotty cheap aromatic. I don't give one star to free samples. Was not horrible to taste, just not at all interesting.

2-27-10 Actually, I think my review above was too harsh. I'm starting to like some aromatics now, and though I don't have any more of this to try right now, can't imagine that it was really that bad.

Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I think I just found the perfect aromatic! I am usually a VaPer, burley smoker but I enjoy aromatics a few time a week for a change. But this one, WOW! It does not bite! It has a full, creamy, apricot taste that is not overwhelming. It lights on the first light and STAYS lit all the way down. It burns to a fine ash with no moisture or goo or dottle in the bottom of the pipe. The casing flavor stays all the way to the bottom. And it is delicious leaving a very pleasant taste on the palette. In fact in 39 years of pipe smoking, this is the first aromatic that I wanted another bowl full after the first one was barely tapped out. In fact, I had a third. A neighbor came up to my deck where I was enjoying it this afternoon who normally does not like my pipe smoke and asked what I was smoking. He said it smelled wonderful. It does have a great room note. Out of the tin, it is a mixed color blend running from light brown up to a black in a ribbon, and rough cut mix. It is perfect in moisture right out of the tin, no goopiness, no stickiness at all, loose and easy to load in the pipe. This is the perfect smoke for new smokers, for experienced smokers wanting a change of pace or those that like aromatics but don't like tongue bite. I experienced none, and I tried to make it do so. I highly recommend this blend and an added bonus is that it is not expensive and easily found. It is made by Orlik which makes Golden Slices one of my favorites for Stanwell. So it is a quality tobacco. It uses a base of VA, some burley, Orientals, and black Cavendish.

suicune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
suicune (23)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Stanwell are well known for making high quality aromatics and, in my opinion, this is by far their best blend. Indeed, the apricot is there and, if you smoke this one slowly, the flavor will be almost perfect. Doesn't heat the pipe and doesn't bite the tongue, even if you smoke the pipe without a filter. The room note is fantastic, the most pleasant of all Stanwell tobaccos. Everyone around you will love it and will bring you only compliments. This is definitely something I will buy again. Highly recommended for aromatic lovers, and even latakia smokers might give this a try.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another quality product from Stanwell. Aromatic puffers will delight in the fruity and sweet flavor in the smoke that is too light to "ghost" your fine briars.

I found the cut a little difficult to manage, but despite the added ingredients, it did stay lit well. It leaves your palate feeling fresh and back to back bowls can be enjoyed without worry of getting nipped.

In the world of aromatics this one is a keeper. (IMO, of course).

pipe dream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dream (11)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

ilike this tobacco for one reason .you can mix it,with burley 1q bca etc.4 ozof melange 6oz 1q 2oz bca,let itsit for a week then dry to taste ,your in paradise.haunting to say the least .try it.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (56)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I liked this one but i found it a little sweet on its own. When blended with a bit of burley its quie nice and i think ill keep some on hnd just for that reason.Very flavourful

Mvardjan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mvardjan (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Enjoyed a bowl in the car after work. On the way I stopped at the store. Upon returning to my car was greeted by a wonderful smell. This stuff is great. It is mild and easy to smoke, burns well and leaves a great caramel smell for all who are around.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

a very nice danish aromatic with some extra topping and flavorful casing..kinda lean more toward the generously cased american aromatics. however the leaf are of considerably good quality. burly is dominant however the virginia sweetness mix very well with the fruity casing (couldnt detect more to be honest).the room note is half the pleasure, many positive remarks indeed. give it a go if you have the appetite for danish aromatics such as peter stockeby and the likes!

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I like this blend. Opening the tin sort of makes you want to take a bite of it! Very delicious aroma. A strong burly blend it ain't! But it is everything as advertized. A wonderful after dinner smoke, I found it easy to light and keep lit.I recommend this for what it is, a quality,aromatic blend.

tamatoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tamatoker (6)

Perhaps Stanwell's ability to produce quality, affordable pipes influences my opinion of this, to me, 'solid' aromatic. It's a nice change of pace from stronger tobaccos, and the fruit flavoring is a neat after dinner treat.

UPDATE: Though, after smoking my more favorite (of the aromatics) Lane aromatics I'd have to say this casing is heavier, leaving little natural tobacco flavor.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I just got a sample of this from the guys at Iwan Ries. I found it to be very "FRUITY". I think that Apricots does best describe the flavor. Let me also say the flavor is PUNGENT. This is however, A European Aromatic not an American Aromatic. Translation- It tastes a lot more like Cellini Classic than C&D's Apricots and Cream. So, with that being said, We can proceed. A really visually appealing blend. Full of Color from light to dark. The aroma is heavenly. Takes the first light very well. Smokes very smoothly till the end. The Apricot flavor remains constant throughout the smoke. A very dry blend indeed. I find that If you add approximately 1/8 Iwan ries 3 Star Ebony to the mixture it greatly enhances the flavor profile and it gives it some depth. Actually, I rather enjoyed this offering from Stanwell. 3 of 4 European Aromatic Stars.

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Pleasant tin smell, with the apricot/peach notes mentioned by other reviewers. What puzzles me are the many very enthusiastic reviews, as I just find this a so-so smoke, neither notable or objectionable. There are many aromatics available which are superior to this, including Stanwell's own Vanilla. Doubt if I would buy this again, but wouldn't refuse a free tin!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Nana Ivarrson, unknown briar

Purchased From: Cigar.com

mithraic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mithraic (4)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

I don't give it one star, since to me that would be reserved for blends like butt. But Melange was not great. Problem? It was like gummy steam to taste, and the smell was just cloying. I bought it for the room note recommendation alone, so you can imagine how disappointing it must be to write that. Really though, it smells like hot mug of saccharine-choked apricot concentrate. I hated smelling this stuff on my clothes, and it seemed to stick indefinitely. And it took a LONG time to work its influence out of my pipe.

Maybe you should miss this one. That is unless you like smoking rank fruit kool-aid, and coming from an aromatic smoker that's a pretty lousy thing to say.

Update: I lied. On reflection, this stuff probably deserves one star.

Baccyman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baccyman (16)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I want so much to like this tobacco. I'm an aromatic smoker and love the likes of Benjamin Hartwell's Evening Stroll and W.Ø. Larsen's Signature. The pouch and room note are wonderful and taste is pleasant. So what's keeping me (and you, if you're wise!) away from this blend. In a word - BITE!!!! 100 fire ants on my tongue, even when you smoke it carefully. Too bad.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

I like aromatics - I can even appreciate the really cased ones as occasional dessert smokes (i.e., Blue Note). But this stuff? Tastes like a cheap apricot-scented candle and burns your tongue like one too. Truly disgusting. If this was the last pipe tobacco on Earth, I would stop smoking.

Thank goodness this was only a free sample pouch - at least I did not pay money for this. STAY AWAY!