A modern approach to a traditional mixture. Black cavendish, toasted burley, Orientals and bright Virginias are gently mixed with apricot and natural sweetness. Soft and mellow with a pleasing aroma and a delicate taste.

BrandStanwell
Taste

Don Jefe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Don Jefe (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The tin note is a fantastic apricot, peach smell. The ribbon cut tobacco was just a little wet, but was easy to pack and light. The tin note translates directly into a wonderful room note that I cannot imagine anyone not liking.

The tobacco itself is of high quality and offers a mild, slightly nutty, slightly sweet taste. Unlike some other aromatics, this one burns nice an cool, allowing you to really relax while smoking this.

This is probably the best aromatic I have smoked so far.

Pipe Used: Meer

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is citrus sweet with some grass, and forms a base for the other tobaccos. It’s always noticeable, but often stays in the background. The burley is nutty with a touch of earth and usually stands out above the Virginia. The black cavendish is mild with a smooth vanilla essence, and underscores the work of the other ingredients. The gold cavendish is citrusy, and plays well with the citrus of the Virginia. The Orientals add a light floral smokiness with a minor spice note, and is present in every puff. The vanilla topping is lightly applied while the apricot is just a little more obvious, well complimenting the taste of the tobaccos. They don’t list peach as a topping, but I notice it here and there. Has a slightly more than mild nic-hit. Burns well and cool with few relights, and consistent, well balanced creamy flavor that has no harsh or dull spots. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. A very repeatable all day smoke with a nice after taste and room note.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Update..... I allowed my tongue to heal after smoking Mac baren blends, lol...and tried this again, To my suprise it is quite tasty ! Sweet with an aroma more like hickory nut than apricot. In fact it tastes and has an aroma like an ultra premium version of Middletons Hickory ! I wish Hickory was this good. This is very nice, fruity and smooth, no bite. Its nice and soft and full of flavor and it lasts long. I was smoking Peterson's deluxe blend all day and was suprised to see how slow and cool this is, delicious ! It required a few relights but tobacco tastes better to me when moist rather than dry. When tobacco is dry it tends to be harsh and rancid, this is delightful ! One medium sized bowl lasted me an hour and 15 min.! Just a LaRocca due egg bent. I up this to 4 stars today thanks to my tongue being replenished ! Try this you won't be sorry, yum !!! I may make this my go to tobacco !

PS. This tobacco has some kick ! I'm an ex cigarette smoker and I get a nicotine Buzz from this. This has the kick of a medium English! Anything with Burley is going to have more nicotine than a latakia blend. I upped the strength t o medium because I have other mild medium blends and this has more punch ! Not a bad thing but if your a beginner start with a smaller bowl or smoke it a little slower, it will get you .

I can't get enough of this blend, I can't wait to try the Kir and Apple ! I think this is the best tobacco I've ever smoked, the perfect aromatic ! Finally, I've found nirvana !

Pipe Used: la Rocca due

Age When Smoked: 1 year and still moist

Similar Blends: Middletons Hickory but waaaaaay better !!!, Also similar to Peterson's Coneseur Blend but with way less black Cavendish and with more vVirginia flake, making it superb to Coneseurs. Its waay richer all around too ! , Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, you aren't gonna find a better aromatic than this Melange !!.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I like Melange for it's unique apricot cheesecake flavor. But there are some drawbacks...

Extreme ghosting of the PIPE (pleasant though). Hot burning tobacco with occasional flare up. Flavor fades substantially after tin is opened. High sugar content makes for a messy pipe.

What I do with Melange....

Mix Melange with Black Cavendish for an interesting but easier smoking experience.

Layer Melange under Virginia for a milder yet sweet smoke.

Open the can and smell Melange when there isn't any dessert around.

Pipe Used: cob

Similar Blends: There's nothing like it!.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

A tobacco smokers aromatic. Nice coconut, vanilla, fruity smell in the tin, yet the casings/flavoring are not heavy and the blend is not goopy. The mix has a predominantly tan/brown color from the burley, virginias and orientals. The balck cavendish is mixed in with a light hand; just a smattering of BC throughout.

The smoke is very pleasant and enjoyable. Slightly sweet taste, maybe a litle nuttiness from the burley. The aromatic casings/flavoring don't overpower the smooth virginas and orientals. Nice kind-of-salty finish to each puff.

This blend is very competitive with some of the equally excellent "big name" aromatics I've tried over the years. An excellent aromatic and a very pleasant surprise, especially for the price.

Mild to Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I think I just found the perfect aromatic! I am usually a VaPer, burley smoker but I enjoy aromatics a few time a week for a change. But this one, WOW! It does not bite! It has a full, creamy, apricot taste that is not overwhelming. It lights on the first light and STAYS lit all the way down. It burns to a fine ash with no moisture or goo or dottle in the bottom of the pipe. The casing flavor stays all the way to the bottom. And it is delicious leaving a very pleasant taste on the palette. In fact in 39 years of pipe smoking, this is the first aromatic that I wanted another bowl full after the first one was barely tapped out. In fact, I had a third. A neighbor came up to my deck where I was enjoying it this afternoon who normally does not like my pipe smoke and asked what I was smoking. He said it smelled wonderful. It does have a great room note. Out of the tin, it is a mixed color blend running from light brown up to a black in a ribbon, and rough cut mix. It is perfect in moisture right out of the tin, no goopiness, no stickiness at all, loose and easy to load in the pipe. This is the perfect smoke for new smokers, for experienced smokers wanting a change of pace or those that like aromatics but don't like tongue bite. I experienced none, and I tried to make it do so. I highly recommend this blend and an added bonus is that it is not expensive and easily found. It is made by Orlik which makes Golden Slices one of my favorites for Stanwell. So it is a quality tobacco. It uses a base of VA, some burley, Orientals, and black Cavendish.

David of Durham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David of Durham (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Tremendous taste! Such a thick, luscious smoke! Took a while to aquire as I am from the UK but my perseverance was rewarded! I'm not going to give you poncy simlilaritys to orchards of apricots blablabla, just the simple fact that what you smell in the tin is uncannily accurate to what you will taste in your mouth!

Pipe Used: 1980's Danske Club straight billiard by Stanwell

Purchased From: Tobaccoonline.co.uk

JustDanD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustDanD (9)

I bought this because it sounded interesting. The tin smell is definately apricot but with the tobacco still coming through. I did have trouble with keeping it burning initially so I set it out to dry for a few hours. That seemed to fix that issue. It lights up easily with plenty of smoke. The apricot is subtle in the smoke but there. Gentler smoking makes the fruit more pronounced but I tend to puff too much for that. The bowl got quite hot so I had to force myself to slow down, which is against my nature.. I think. The flavor eventually goes away and leaves an uninteresting tobacco smoke that is not bad.

I have smoked 4 or 5 bowls of this over the last few weeks. I kinda forget about what it was like, fill up a pipe and then go "oh yeah". This is a good blend and I will probably keep a tin around so that I can keep going back to it. I think they hit the mark of what they were blending for. It just doesn't make 4 stars for me.

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

Some pipe smokers, when reviewing aromatics, complain about not being able to taste tobacco under the casing. I think differently: if I want to taste Virginia, then I smoke Capstan , if I want to taste Latakia, then I smoke Commonwealth, but if I smoke aromatics then I want to taste fruit, vanilla, chocolate. Stanwell Melange is all this: an amazing tin smell, which fully translates to the smoking taste, overall an excellent aromatic. It’s a shame that it isn’t available here in Italy.

Purchased From: Dubini (Switzerland)

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This, my friends, is one fine tobacco! This is a perfect example of a high-end aromatic. The tin note is of sweet apricots, honey, and vanilla. For a second my brain was actually confused: was it tobacco or dessert? After packing a bowl straight from the tin and lighting it, I was greeted by a rush of apricots and vanilla. The smoke was cool all the way through the bowl, and I have yet to have this blend bite me. The room note is amazing as well, and lingers for some time afterward without being overpowering. It has a noticeable amount of nicotine in it, even though I have a huge tolerance to nicotine in general (cig smoker). It is everything that I have been searching for in an aromatic, and definitely one that I will always keep in my rotation. Do yourself a favor and grab a tin or two, and enjoy!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Trevi, John Hines

Purchased From: J&R Statesville, NC

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AN AROMATIC TO PLEASE THE OLD LADY AND THAT YOU CAN ENJOY THIS IS IT. THE ORIENTAL FLAVOR IS IN THE FRONT AND THE BURLEY IS ALWAYS THERE. THIS BLEND WILL NOT GUNT UP YOUR PIPE OR LEAVE ANY FLAVORING BEHING. THERE IS A APRICOT AROAM THAT YOU THE SMOKER WILL GET EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE BUT OTHERS WILL SMELL A COTTON CANDY AROMA. i ACTUALLY ENJOY THIS BLEND. IF YOU ENJOY A SCOTISH BLEND THEN TRY THIS AS YOUR CROWD PLEASER.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I was in at my local shop, one where they have moved almost exclusively to loose tobacco. However, while digging around as I talked to the clerk and made my "buckshot the barn door" selection when trying a new blender, I stumbled across this tin.

I bought it and took it over to a friend's house. She loved the smell. I was even more impressed however, as the smoke was, well, incredible. Great "tin smell". Easy to light and keep lit. Cool burning. I didn't have any goop, but I can see how some might depending on smoking style and whether they had a damper tin.

I did have a bit of trouble loading it with the tobacco cut as another reviewer had stated. However, in the grand scheme, this is such a minor flaw the four stars remain.

The overall note really is a dialogue between apricot and creme brulee. The fruit is present throughout, but a much deeper and more satisfying caramel flavor (hence the "burned sugar" desert reference). I found the apricot kept it light and interesting, whereas nothing but caramel would get a bit tiresome as the pipe progressed.

Granted, I'm an unabashed aromatic smoker, but I love this tobacco. I'll be keeping this in my rotation for sure.

Edit:

So, I've been smoking it for a few more days now. It's dried out a bit and I think it's even better. Still has the caramel/apricot (tho the fruit has faded a bit), but one also gets a bit of really "tobaccoey" flavor- a very minor amount in comparison to a non aromatic, but noticeable. It's been burning very slowly and the pipe remains quite cool. If nothing else, the drying out in the travel pouch has shown the quality of tobacco used.

Still highly recommended.

Old Codger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Codger (8)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A very good aromatic. No bite, no goop, burns to ash. If your looking for a nice aromatic this is it. Reasonably priced! Great for beginners and long time pipers as well.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Black Diamond

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

CarolinaEsquire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CarolinaEsquire (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one fine aromatic. There are many aromatics out there, but not too many that also have Orientals in them. Some, but not a lot. This one does and it's what also really separates it from the pack.

First off, when you open the tin, you are greeted by that wonderful apricot-like scent that is used for the fruit flavoring here. It's delicious all on it's own. The leaves are also a nice mixture of colors, adding to the intrigue of this blend. But again, what separates this blend from the others is the addition of the Orientals. In this case, they aren't spicy. Maybe a little sour or tang to compliment the sweetness of the apricot flavoring, but what I really like about them is that they also add a real nuttiness to the blend. You hear that a lot, "it's nutty", but in this case, it really is and has an almost cashew like feel and taste to it. However you particularly perceive it, it's great and very different.

It's also one that is really a crowd pleaser. When I used to smoke in the car, I remember one day going through a drive-thru in the morning for some breakfast. The cashier leaned out of the window to tell me how nice this smelled. When I got to work, the receptionist who usually grimaced when I came in after smoking some other tasty blends said, "now this one I like!" I laughed. Finally, I was sitting on a bench smoking this and a guy walked over to me and said he could smell it from a block away and wanted to follow it. OK, that was weird and a bit creepy, but who can blame him? It does smell good!

Now, it does remind me of Orlik's Mellow Mixture. They both have that similar scent in the tin, but Mellow Mixture lacks the Orientals and the sour and nuttiness that this one also brings to the pipe.

Not much nicotine to speak of in this one, but it is by far one of my favorite aromatics out there, if not my number one. It's tantalizing.

My only negative with it is that I find myself having to relight it more often than normal. Probably just me. I will also say that it benefits from being fluffed out and aired out in a pint jar for a few days. When you open the tin, the ribbons are tightly packed. Air it out and the smoke is smoother and fuller.

Get out and try it.

Enjoy!

Age When Smoked: New to 5 years

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Orlik Mellow Mixture.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I purchased this tin because a friend of mine who only smokes aros considered it his favorite. When I first opened the tin I was blasted by a pleasant tin note of Apricot, but when I smoked it, I found the topping to be too overwhelming for my tastes. I set this aside for about a year and came back to it.

While the topping was still quite strong, it seemed to have settled quite a bit and the smoke was much more pleasant this time around. As to what the underlying leaf is, it is pretty much irrelevant since you will not taste it. This one is all about the topping. Apricot is the obvious and dominating flavor. I also picked up peach and was pleased to see a few others have as well.

This topping is pretty pleasant to my tastes and it will hang through to the end of the bowl. This, IMO, is a mark of a great aromatic. How one will view this will depend on one's taste. If you like this topping as I did, you will love this blend.

Pipe Used: Amorelli Fancy Flock Rhodesian

Jolo Josh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jolo Josh (6)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening and first touch. moist. You'll need dry it out a bit before your first bowl. Upon lighting, the smell is on par with the taste. The taste gets slightly sweeter as you get nearer to the bowl. I have went to acquire this blend after reading all the reviews. I was able to finally understand the praise this tobacco was getting after smoking it numerous times. I would recommend it to any beginner as; it doesn't burn too hot , due the initial high moisture content per unit area of tobacco; taste amazing, you can really taste the apricot element of this blend ; and finally the price, it is priced at $5 in Malaysia.

Pipe Used: Chacom Standard Straight Billiard

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (26)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin, a delectable scent fills the room, reminding one of caramel & cream...which is to say, the tin note is fantastic! This is a real aromatic, so you will not detect any natural tobacco scent. The tobacco is a nice mix of colors: red & gold virginias, black cavendish, brown burleys, etc.

Melange is a bit too moist right out of the tin, so I'd advise you to dry it before filling your pipe. If not, it can pack too hard, making it impossible to smoke. It may take you several lights to get this tobacco going, and it will go out on you, requiring a relight. At first, the smoker is rewarded by mild hints of the flavouring in the smoke, though they remain elusive, which is frustrating, considering the tin note. The room note is fabulous and will be certain to please a crowd. But I am only givng Melange 2 stars, because about halfway through the bowl, despite careful sipping, the smoke turns acrid, spoiling the smoker's pleasure. This is very unfortunate, as Melange is a tobacco I really wanted to love, but just could not... It is not a bad tobacco, but it would not be among my top 10 aromatic choices.

Pipe Used: Vauen bent billiard, St. Claude Prince

Purchased From: local tobaccoonist

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have to admit to liking this blend, which gets a bad rap from many reviewers and forum posters. It has the most exquisite tin note of apricots and cream. Divine. With the understanding that aromatics rarely taste like their tin note, I'll give this one points for room note and being an excellent choice when the occasion calls for an aromatic. Beware- it has a tendency to ghost a pipe. No worries as I have dedicated a Foreverstemmed cob. In-laws are therefore pleased when I select this blend around the holidays for indoor smoking. You can choose much worse. I just wish Stanwell would come out with some kind of candy that tasted as this tin smells. When smoked Very slowly, this is an excellent, flavorful aromatic. Puffed hard, this will bite.

Update 10/2013: This blend really benefits from being mixed 50/50 with a blend like Carter Hall or, even better, Mac Baren Burley London Blend. Smooths it out and increases the smokability while preserving the unique aroma.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Even Police Constables can use a whack of ginger at times. That's when I reach for my Melange.

A nice Virginia based aromatic. Dry to the touch. The orientals give it a rich flavor. And it's very fragrant and satisfying.

But does it smell good? Mrs Plod's sister Gwladys is visiting from Wales. She "presents" every time I smoke this, once Honoria departs the sitting room of course.

But I will not be distracted from my pipe, despite Gwladys' rather shapely hindquarters. This is a very fine pipe tobacco indeed.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I don't smoke a lot of aromatics but I do enjoy the good ones. This one rates right at the top. Packs ok, a little moist but not goopy, amazing room note, no bite, fruity yet with a sound tobacco taste. Is there a pipe tobacco group of Aromatic English blends? If so, this would be one of the pack leaders. My plan is to keep this on hand, cellar some for aging and find a pipe to devote to this blend. Not because it ghosts but because I don't want anything to ghost it. My angel wife gives this one two thumbs up.

Dr. Kinsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Kinsey (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely love it. I’ve never experienced a tobacco for which the taste is exactly the same as the aroma from the tin and now I’m spoiled: it turns out that aromatics don’t just have to be for everyone at the other end of your pipe! I struggle to describe the aroma/taste - I agree that it’s apricot vanilla cheesecake, but there’s also a maple syrup pancake quality. It’s absolutely unique. Smoked all the way to the bottom on one light, but also did something I’ve literally never had another tobacco do: even without picking it, it smoked all the way out from the center, leaving absolutely zero unsmoked tobacco in the bowl. I’m in love!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Royal Danish

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Absolutely nothing! It’s 100% unique..

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is somewhat similar to Blue Note as far as flavor. I do however enjoy it more than Blue Note, as it doesn't bite like Blue Note can.

Lights and packs easy, tin note and room note are superb. I recommend this to any and all aromatic smokers. Good job to Stanwell.

Pairs well with an iced tea.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This came in a starter pipe gift pack that I gave to a friend who wants to give up cigarettes, so I loaded my pipe with it as I showed him how to load his. This is perhaps one of the best aromatics I have ever tried and my favorite in its genre by far. The tin note was of butterscotch with a hint of orange (they say apricot). It packed well and took to the match beautifully. It tasted as it smelled throughout the smoke and never became goopy, never smoked hot, nor was it harsh or bitter. It reminded me a bit of Troost Aromatic Cavendish, but better. The flavor doesn't really translate throughout the entire bowl with Troost, and there is a tendency toward bitterness at times. Not so with Melange. A pleasant smoke that retains its tobacco essence. Recommended to newbies and seasoned vets alike. The room note was fantastic! For a bit more body, I mix some with half a flake of Wessex Burley Slice or Aged Burley Flake for a truly delicious smoke.

Very Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

If you like peach and apricot in your pipe then try this blend. This mixture delivers an outstanding fruity aroma with delicious flavor and creamy/nutty taste, the tobacco quality is top notch, the smoke is dry and cool with no bite at all, room note is outstanding.

I highly recommend this blend for new pipe smokers as well as veterans, this is for you dessert after dinner smoke.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

I ordered this blend because I like apricots. I'm also looking for an aromatic to smoke around my girlfriend, who kindly accepts my pipe smoking without complaining. Not being used to European aromatics, it took me a couple of bowls to appreciate Melange. I found that drying it out extensively improves the burning qualities and lessons the aromatic flavor. Only time will tell, but this may be a blend I buy again. The components are first-rate and the aroma is very pleasing. There is not an overabundance of black cavendish. Virginia predominates, with some burley added for coolness. The oriental is minimal, but delightfully present. You can actually taste the tobacco. A very novel concept for an aromatic. Very pleasant aftertaste. Bravo!

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Another quality product from Stanwell. Aromatic puffers will delight in the fruity and sweet flavor in the smoke that is too light to "ghost" your fine briars.

I found the cut a little difficult to manage, but despite the added ingredients, it did stay lit well. It leaves your palate feeling fresh and back to back bowls can be enjoyed without worry of getting nipped.

In the world of aromatics this one is a keeper. (IMO, of course).

Mosessupposes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mosessupposes (11)

I am a V and VP smoker. I very rarely enjoy an aro. This is the only one I currently use as a change of pace. I usually cut it with Five Friends. However even on its own it is not overly sweet or overly wet.

Pipe Used: Cobs mostly

Age When Smoked: Just purchased

Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stanwell - Melange.

I don't know why it's labelled Broken Flake, it's clearly a mid-size ribbon. The majority of the blend's light, and medium browns, with only a small amount of black. A sniff of the tin makes for no confusing what this has been flavoured with. Although it smells strongly aromatic the moisture's just right.

Onto the smoke: not bad, I'm a little surprised I like it! The apricot pushes the vanilla aside, easily, especially for the initial part of a bowl. It's not that the vanilla's absent, it's just nowhere near as heavy. To be fair, as a bowl's smoked it gains more recognition, seeming much surer of itself toward the end. The apricot keeps the tobacco flavours quite repressed, making for a smoke where it's difficult to decipher the constituents from one another. The burn from it's good, giving a bite-free smoke.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

I couldn't have this in the slot for my afternoon aromatic, but it's a good enough smoke for three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Chacom

Age When Smoked: One month

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This one really is a great aromatic as far as room note and flavor. Tobacco is very light and you get a spiced fruit flavor from the whole smoking experience. Leaves you and your pipe smelling sweet. It's not my favorite to smoke out of all the tobaccos but it's certainly one to smoke if you don't want to offend. I will buy it again but won't smoke it regularly.

Pipe Used: Briars, Missouri Meerschaums

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Ronny 138 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronny 138 (3)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Rare Apricot scent and I like this! Can enjoy from novice to veteran. Friendly Price, Proper Quality, Wonderful Aroma and Never tongue bite. Oriental is key of this blend, so become more cheerful if you add the little orient (C&D leaves in my case) and pinch of latakia (if you like). Just too mild for my regular rotation....

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Cob, Falcon

Age When Smoked: New 50g pouch

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: Unique.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Just a pleasant smoke. Gentle aromitc aroma that burns well and tastes sweet. For me there has been no ghosting of my pipes. The room note is always a positive. Melange has no great depth of character, unique flavor or aroma. Just a very good light aromatic smoke at what is usually a very reasonable price.

Pipe Used: Several

meanska Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanska (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Pleasant tin smell, with the apricot/peach notes mentioned by other reviewers. What puzzles me are the many very enthusiastic reviews, as I just find this a so-so smoke, neither notable or objectionable. There are many aromatics available which are superior to this, including Stanwell's own Vanilla. Doubt if I would buy this again, but wouldn't refuse a free tin!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Nana Ivarrson, unknown briar

Purchased From: Cigar.com

Rob  Roy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob Roy (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Excellent tobacco if you are an aromatic kind of pipe smoker. Patience while smoking this tobacco and the flavors will come through. The room note is easy on my wife and daughter's sense of smell. A bit pricey but I got it on sale.. Says imported by Lane Limited hmmm.?

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billard

Purchased From: P&C

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)

Aroma in tin translates to a smooth, buttery vanilla/fruit flavor combo. The very good base tobaccos are reminiscent of those in Stanwell Vanilla. Hints of citrus and raisin also come through, generating a somewhat Creamsicle flavor at times. Cool burn, very tasty when sipped. 3+.

Pipe Used: Peterson, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 07-OCT-2012

Purchased From: CI

Similar Blends: Very good base tobaccos similar to Stanwell Vanilla.

I was given a two bowl sample of Melange and Vanilla so this review is based on only a very small sample. The blend is quite sauced and lives up to its namesake. It burns dry and is sweet throughout. But, I simply didn't find it to my liking. It burned much hotter than other aromatics that I enjoy. It could be a body chemistry thing or the size of the sample as I generally want to know a blend more before reviewing it, but that would mean buying more and that won't happen. I also didn't like the aftertaste. A lot of folks like it, so you may as well, but it's not for me.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried the Stanwell vanilla and found it to be exceptional and one I will frequent. Melange is very aromatic with a definite and almost heavy cocoanut. Taste was in the good category, not great.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (106)

Yet another tobacco you can't get in the UK.

So I ordered this from the continent.

It has an amazing open tin fragrance second only to Davidoff's Danish. Indeed it is somewhat Danish in it's character.

A Vanilla/honey bomb that explodes on the pallet. Yes it's true it even comes through in the smoke. How many blends can you say that about ? Not too many.

It doesn't last all the way to the bottom of the bowl. In fact it can go a little sour after rest. It can also bit a bit of a bugger to keep alight.

The really disappointing thing is the room note. I thought after that extraordinary tin opening scent, it was going to be something special. Mrs RW hasn't made any comment at all which I am very surprised at.

A fine blend though and, if you are fond of aromatics, you'll want to try this one for sure. I'm halfway through the tin and it hasn't got boring. I hope it doesn't.

ecce_ego Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ecce_ego (22)

This came with a starter pipe set, and I'm pleased that it did, because I have tended to stay away from fruity flavored tobaccos, leaning more toward vanillas and the chocolatey goodness of a Cavendish, or a nice honey toned casing. However, this tobacco is mild on the apricot and well-rounded. The fruitiness remains in the tin, with just a light citrus note surfacing during the smoke. Mild, smooth, cool and fresh, is how I would describe this tobacco. Definitely will get more of this.

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (25)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I gave this one a try, even though I generally don't like aromatics with fruit flavorings. I liked this one. I didn't notice it being particulary hot. I liked the tin aroma and the flavor. My wife gave it a mixed to not-so-good review. She said the tin aroma was good, but the room note was more akin to ... um ... well ... urine. She told me that I'd have to smoke this one outside. I like it, but I'm not sure I like it that much.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I like aromatics and after reading the reviews for this blend, decided to give it a try. Smells wonderful in the can, just the right amount of moisture. Packs well and stays lit without much work. Really pleasant smoke, a bit of a bite if smoked too quickly but otherwise very enjoyable tobacco. Definitely worth a try especially if you are new to pipes. Sip slowly to avoid tongue bite! Nice full tobacco, will keep this in my regular rotation!

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is such a wonderfully pleasant aromatic tobacco. I love the apricot and citrus flavors which beautifully compliment the sweetness of the Cavendish and Virginias. I couldn't detect much in the way of Orientals. This is one of those rare aromatics that actually tastes like the tin aroma. For me it is a nice evening after-dinner tobacco. It's like a nice cordial to be sipped slowly. The room note is lovely too. After the tin has been opened for a couple weeks, the flavoring does get much weaker, as one would expect. However, its still pretty nice.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Very Strong Full Very Pleasant

It is the only tobacco I've found that has a tin smell, smoking taste and room note that are all similar to each other. It tastes like apricots and cream. I used to wonder how it could be said that a blend was creamy tasting. Now I understand. This is not the sort of blend that that you would want as part of your everyday diet - it's more of a occasional nightcap type of baccy. The casing isn't subtle. It grabs you by the throat and brow beats you with an apricots and cream flavored club. That said, this blend is refined in the sense it smokes cool and dry and it doesn't bite. It would be highly recommended if the topping didn't overwhelm the natural tobacco taste quite so much.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I was surprised by how much I liked this blend. I am mainly a virginia/vaper smoker but I was looking for a change one evening. I had a pouch of this that my local tobacconist was giving out when this blend first came out.

I loads extremely easy and stays lit for a long time. I had thought that this blend was too damp in the beginning but it burned like a champ.

I do not get the apricot smell that others get. I usually smell something akin to caramel and roasted marshmellows. My sample was aged for a bit though and that may be the reason for the difference in aroma and taste.

I have bought a couple of tins of this to have around. It won't be my everyday smoke but it is one of the better aromatics that I have tried.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It's been about 10 years since I last smoked an aromatic. I don't know why this particular weekend I felt the need to crack open one of the many samples I've procured through various pipe tobacco forums. In any case it sat in a little Mason jar for a good 4 or 5 months at the back of my cellar just waiting for the right moment. Since spring is, mostly, here I figured something light and sweet would be the ticket. The only thing that fit was this aromatic so I loaded up a cob and off I went.

At first match I noticed something was certainly missing. Bite. I can recall how badly I would get bitten from aromatics in the past and that's one of the reasons I gladly passed them up even if free. More pipe smoking experience didn't hurt either since I've learned to tame blends that have bitten me in the past. Age and wisdom can be a wonderful thing. After a couple of charring lights I got the blend going and it was actually quite pleasant. A nice caramel taste that was backed up by a sharpness of apricot flavor. When I say sharpness I don't mean bite, I mean it was a pleasant sharpness much like you get from sharp cheddar. Maybe "tang" would be a better descriptor. I smoked about half of the bowl and set down my pipe. The half of the bowl I smoked was quite enjoyable and had some tobacco flavor along with the aro components. It all worked together quite well and I was very impressed. This gave me new found hope for quality aros out there. I still prefer English or burleys but for a change of pace this will most assuredly fit the bill.

Now I mentioned that I set my half smoked pipe down. I left it in the garage over night just for an experiment. I came back the next day to see if the there was any changes a good DGT would do to the blend. I lit up and the caramel note was gone and I could taste decent quality Virginias along with that faint note of apricot. It had changed but was still quite good and I can tell that the tobacco used was of a good quality. The blend notes mentioned a little bit of Oriental in the mixture and the DGT brought out a faint note of them. Possibly Basma since it was a very faint sweetness similar to FMOTT but my taste buds may be mistaken.

All in all I enjoyed this aro even though I haven't smoked them for quite some time. I'm glad I stepped outside of my tobacco comfort zone because I plan on acquiring a couple of tins just for a change of pace.

Piper4ever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper4ever (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is that kind of tobacco that shows quality and good taste all over, no doubts, but I don't like the peachy taste, don't take me wrong, it is a great blend but not for my taste. If you love Apricots, Peaches, etc. this your blend, look no further, I do prefer berries than peaches. There is not bite at all and the quality of this blend jumps at the end of the bowl, excellent for a mellow blend.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Bland, apricotty cheap aromatic. I don't give one star to free samples. Was not horrible to taste, just not at all interesting.

2-27-10 Actually, I think my review above was too harsh. I'm starting to like some aromatics now, and though I don't have any more of this to try right now, can't imagine that it was really that bad.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I liked this one but i found it a little sweet on its own. When blended with a bit of burley its quie nice and i think ill keep some on hnd just for that reason.Very flavourful

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

a very nice danish aromatic with some extra topping and flavorful casing..kinda lean more toward the generously cased american aromatics. however the leaf are of considerably good quality. burly is dominant however the virginia sweetness mix very well with the fruity casing (couldnt detect more to be honest).the room note is half the pleasure, many positive remarks indeed. give it a go if you have the appetite for danish aromatics such as peter stockeby and the likes!

rattdogg99 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg99 (5)

WOW! Fruit salad in your pipe. I really like this stuff. I'm not usually into fruity tobacco but this is done just right. Not heavy handed in the casing department but not to light either. The flavors other reviewers have noted are all there. Peach, apricot, coconut and I think I even detected a slight banana flavor. The vanilla reminds me of marshmallow flavor hence the fruit salad reference. The flavor remains constant throughout the bowl with no harshness or bite. I can't believe it took me 35 yrs. To try this blend. I wish I had done sooner. Well done Stanwell.

Pipe Used: Various Canadians

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first blend from stanwell and i have made a good impression about it!when you break the seal a really tense and nice aroma comes out between the toppings,some nuts and florar essenses.the moisture is proper,packs and lights ok.very few relights are needed.while smoking there is much complexity.the toppings are there from the beginning till the end very balanced and in a nice combination with nuts,grass,citruses.more rare some earth and floral notes come out.every puff differs without chance of biting.the nicotine level is almost medium.burns average and almost warm with some moisture being created.leaves some dumbness in the whole bowl.theroom note is very nice and special.definitelly a really nice,tence and balanced aromatic blend.the only negative i found was pipe ghosting wich is very bad specially for a new pipe that isn't burned.

Age When Smoked: When opened

Stuttgarter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuttgarter (5)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The people around you will love it. However I did not get impressed with this aromatic.

Melange is a mild tobacco, you will not feel the nicotin hit with this one. I recomend to smoke it in the evening. The flavour is somewhat tolerable, but for me it has too much nuances, which makes it a not well balanced blend. The taste is mild, pleasant till half bowl after that it turns into something else, not to mention the lack of real tobacco taste. If it's that your goal this is not the blend for you. Overall, it deserves a try.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I had no expectations with this one. I basically threw a dart to complete an order and it fell on Melange. I have to say I was happy the dart found it. Opening the tin was a mixed feeling, I enjoyed the sweetness, but was apprehensive to whatever fruit flavor I was detecting (maybe cherry) as that is not normally a selling point for me.

Sparked up great and the nice sugary taste remained and about midway through I forgot about the fruit topping. It reminded me of a less complex version of one of my favorite aromatics; Drew Estate's Grand Central, and for this reason I was a believer in the Melange.

Similar Blends: Drew Estate's Grand Central.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin aroma was so strong I was a bit unsure if I'd taste any tobacco. I was to be nicely surprised. Strong but pleasant smell of vanilla, cinnamon, figs and apricot immediately made their presence felt in the room. Surprisingly, this was easy to light; and produced very pleasant and even smoking experience. Burley and Cavendish give a solid base, and there is definitely some Oriental leaf in there too. The topping stays true and does not deteriorate through the bowl. There was no bite and there was no goop left in the bowl at the end. So far this proved itself to be an exceptionally good and well-behaved aromatic, and I will order more. It is somewhat similar to "Connoisseur's Choice" with less fig/raisin and more apricot. Or, conversely, this is like a more fruity and more classy cousin of Amphora "Full Aroma" without the cocoa / chocolate whiff.

Pipe Used: Orlik bent bulldog with 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh out of tin

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Peterson's "Connoisseur's Choice".

Epicur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicur (18)
Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable

This is just awful. Smell out of the tin is offputting. It is the same smell I notice with a lot of the STG modern aromatics.

In Germany, we have a souce called Maggi Würze (Maggi seasoning like maggi herb / Lovage). I just hate that in my tobacco.

Unfortunately, this smell is quite dominant in the taste, and it is there till the end of the bowl. Even after airing it out it stays.

In the very background there is some vanilla and maybe an hint of latte taste? But not very distinctive.

The tobacco base seems ok, but not great (black cavendish is dominant).

Awful, awful, awful.

Pipe Used: Briars with / without filters, Falcon Pipe

Similar Blends: Other STG aromatics.

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (87)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For me this is high quality aromatic tobacco. Nice smell of vanilla with apricot tones from the pouch. Lit"s well, no tongue bite, burning well till end of the bowl. Wonderfull room note. Perfect Sunday smoke.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: Local store

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am not as impressed as some are with Melange. I found the tin and room note pleasant and the tobacco had a proper amount of moisture. However, the taste was a letdown, tasted too grassy.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (34)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Positive: Excellent room note, taste like capuccino, not expensive and available.

Negative: Not the highest quality leafs, a bit less topping would be enough.

Highly recommended to the sweet-toothed aro fans.

( Also recommended to similar aliens like me out there, who like to mix aro with latakia...)

3 stars here

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smell in the tin is exactly as everybody is saying, as is the smell when you smoke it. I tried it in a meerschaum, and really liked it - but for me the full potency of the tobacco didn't really make itself known until I smoked it in a Missouri Meerschaum cob. That was when the personality really shone through. The sweetness of the cob perfectly complements the tobacco flavor. I can't describe how incredibly impressed I was with the match. It was a knockout. And I don't do dessert tobaccos and I really don't do cobs too often either. So for me to have this revelation with the perfect match of tobacco and corn cob pipe, was really just something that made me terribly giddy. This was something that in one single bowl made me fully appreciate what every corn cob connoisseur has been on about. Anyhow, I'm sold. This is a tobacco I really liked in one pipe, then super fell in love with in another pipe. So overall, I'm just hugely impressed. But man oh man, a corn cob pipe just really makes this one sing. Later, Melange has proven true to both briar and cob, and has certainly been on demand with finicky pipes who seem to want to keep coming back to it! I also Christianed a new Peterson with it, and the new Pete also took to Melange like a fish to water! This tobacco is certainly going to be a mainstay - all my pipes are in love with it!!

Pipe Used: Laxey Meerschaum; MM Cob, Peterson 80s

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Unique unto its own. Would appeal to fans of Molto Dolce.

ing.poparadu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ing.poparadu (14)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a very tasty aromatic, leaves a pleasant room note. However, it burns a little too fast for my taste. All in all, 3 out of 4

Pipe Used: DK 84

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

BuckW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BuckW (4)

One of the first tobaccos I smoked and it continues to be one of my favorites. The tin note is sweet and fruity and the smoke is mild and pleasant. One of my favorites!

Pipe Used: Great Dane Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 6 months

Purchased From: Cigar International

CrazyTommy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CrazyTommy (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

Got this in a sampler pack when I started smoking pipes. It was definitely different than the other aromatic offerings in the pack, and I was looking forward to trying it. The tin note is fantastic and almost makes you want to take a spoon and start eating it! It smells like a fruity, sweet dessert; exactly what drew me to pipe smoking in the first place. It packs well, burns fine after a char light, and smokes reasonably cool. Definitely taste the tangy apricot. You'd think I'd be totally happy with this blend, right? No! For some reason, this is the ONLY blend that irritates the heck out of my throat and tongue and makes me cough and cough for hours afterwards. It must be a thing with my body chemistry or something because all the other reviews are so positive. I really WANTED to enjoy this blend, but I guess it's not for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli briars, MM Cobs, Peterson System

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Other fruity blends..