A crumble cake of Ripe Red, Lemon and Matured Virginias with a hearty dose of St. James Perique. A marvelously smooth yet rich traditional flavor with a woodsy aroma. Medium to full bodied.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium, Medium to Full

I can't ever remember deciding to order a pound of tobacco based one just one bowl……until now. Hampton Roads is one great VaPer. My initial four ounce order arrived with the flakes mostly broken up and at the perfect moisture level to smoke. The pouch scent is lightly tangy and the flake is on the darker side, the color resembling Escudo when Escudo has been aged for three or four years. Hampton Roads tastes like it has already been aged and the flavor is a mixture of perique pepper and sweet Virginia. The sweetness does diminish in the bottom half of the bowl. This is not a VaPer that is light on the perique as there is a healthy dose in this blend, albeit not overpowering. There is also a visit from Lady N so if you are not a fan of the lady, slow smoking is recommended. The deep flavors of Hampton Road will only improve with age, and one can only imagine how great it will be in a couple of years. Very Highly Recommended!

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)

First off, the bag of Hampton Roads I smoked was most definitely a flake not a crumble cake. I sent an e-mail to Watch City and they informed me that three months into the run of the blend Ernie the owner switched style to flake from crumble cake but and had not updated the labels.

That being said this is one of the best Virginia flakes I've smoked. Great tangy, lemony smell in the bag. Smoking: the Virginias are very, very smooth but the overall taste is strong and clean. Strong on tobacco flavor and nicotine. Nice straight, rich tobacco taste. Just a hint of perique. I bought this bag of flake in June of '10 and Ernie suggested I might want to put it away for a while. I cellared the bag and didn't start smoking until 6 months later in Dec '10-Jan '11. I don't know if the cellaring helped but it was a very enjoyable smoke I will definitely smoke again.

Normally, I prefer English-latakia/oriental blends to english-virginia mixes/vapers. However, I have been finding that Virginia FLAKES have been knocking me out lately. I still don't prefer regular va/vapers blends. Something about the flake apparently.

Matches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matches (19)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is a terrific VA/PER that I believe anyone would enjoy. The crumble cake is very easy to break-up and pack. I found lighting was extremely easy considering it's Virginia. Although this is (IMO) a mild smoke, the sweet VA flavor comes through and the perique is probably in it's proper proportion, but I'm used to a heavier presence. I recommend this highly to first time VA/PER smokers and experienced as well. Great job Watch City!