C&D's annual blend for the 2008 Chicago Show. A tasty flake of Virginias, Dark Fired Burley and a dash of Perique.

Blended ByToney / Tarler
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Where to Buy BnB Tobacco
Strength
Taste

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really enjoyed this blend. A good and strong Va/Bur/Per with an aromatic topping of some sort. Perhaps I am assuming a little with that, but the tin note tells me there is something there. It has one of the nicest tin notes I have ever smelled. To me, it smells like cranberry juice.

I bought this at my local J & R Cigar for the sole reason that it looked like the tin was about to explode. I figured that had to be good stuff inside. lol The tin date was 2011 and I bought and opened it in November 2013. Like many C & D blends this is (a) strong in nicotine and (b) stars Burley as the primary player. This one also has a good amount of perique in it as well. The Virginia, IMO, plays a minor role adding its natural sweetness to compliment the whole.

I have a hard time finding anything that compares to this and I do like it. This would give it an easy three stars in my book, but in the case of the rooster, I have recommended this to several forum friends and everyone seems to like it. For this real world results I am adding a fourth star and I believe anyone who likes these components will enjoy this even for just a change of pace.

Age When Smoked: 2 to 3 years

Purchased From: J & R Cigars, Southfield, MI

Smokntaz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokntaz (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Opened my first tin of Exhausted Rooster today. The tin has about 8 months of age on it and smells of sweet rum & raisin. I'm half way through the bowl and the smoke has been very good. The perique is subtle and I can taste the sweetness of the Virginia. I would put this at medium-light in strength and a must try for the Vaper lovers.

EDIT: 2nd half of the bowl was just as good but the perique did pick up in strength. I

thesillyoldbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesillyoldbear (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

It's described as a broken flake, though it seems more of an untumbled ribbon cut as the 'flakes' are maybe 2-2.5 times the width of a normal flake.

Tin note is odd but very pleasant. Tangy but effervescent, kind of like the sherbet you make in year 7 science with sodium bicarbonate and citric acid but less citrus and more...ooh! Like a rum and raisin sorbet!

I rubbed it out into a ribbon and after about 20-30 mins loaded it into a new Barling bent billiard.

Charring light doesn't reveal anything that wasn't present in the tin note, maybe a touch more nuttiness, so now it's rum and raisin and nut sorbet.

After a true light down to half way through the bowl while the burley dominates, the VA does lend a sweetness. There's a hint of Perique but not much. Nuts, hay and still some definite raisin.

At about the halwfay mark the Perique started too pick up. Not peppery but spicy like hot cinnamon.

It's a very simple tobacco but no less enjoyable for it. Burnt to a powdery, white ash.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Gentlemen, this is one hell of a tobacco! Exausted Rooster is a one of a kind tobacco with the addition of DFK with the VAs and Per.

Even though it has an eggnog like aroma in the tin, as well as when it is being smoked, it is, nonetheless, not intrusive. The sweetness of the VAs marry beautifully with the smoked/spiciness of the DFK and the peppery & plum flavour from the Per which provided me with an excellent and flavorful moment.

This tobacco is rich, tasty and strong in nicotine in an acceptable way.

Like all C&D and G.L. Pease blends, this tobacco gains to be aged at least 1 year before opening.

If I had the option of only 1 tobacco to smoke, ER would be the one.

When I first popped this tin and took my initial whiff, I thought they had mislabeled one of their aromatics. Sure, perique blends have the tin aroma of figs and such, but who are they kidding with this stuff??? This smelled like Granny's kitchen at Christmas!

The good news is that the aroma doesn't transfer to the taste nearly as much as I feared. It burns off fairly quickly except for an underlying sweet flavor that definitely heightens the experience. The virginia is the lead player, followed by the burley and the two mesh wonderfully, giving us a nutty, sweet taste. The perique is kind of a jack-in-the-box that adds some spice periodically and noticeably, then retreats back into the mix. That final third of the bowl, the burley and perique square off with the virginia subsiding. But the sweetness remains and I think it's due to the expert blending of the casing with all the tobaccos.

Well done! I liked this well enough that I will revisit from time to time. It's different, and in a world of sameness, that's a good thing.

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Wow, Mr. Tarler hit a home run with this blend. The name itself is worth putting in the Hall of Fame. The Burley comes through strongest with a peek every now and then from the Virginia and Perique. It smokes slower than I thought it would, even after further rubbing the broken flake.

VA/Per fans may wonder if this one qualifies due to the Burley. It is... well, different (in a really good way).

Finally, if strength worries you then avoid Exhausted Rooster. This one sticks out its chest and fires off a stout "cock-a-doodle-do" as it is being consumed.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I keep finding myself reaching for c&d blends. Lately they just seem to hit the spot. Anyway enough about that.

The two tins I had of this had a couple of years on them so that might sway this review.

Tin note: ketchup,sugar and spiced rum.

This blend is rather sweet to me, in a good way. I mostly get the sweetness from the Virginias followed by the rum and raisin of the perique. I don't find much of the burley in there. This blend is medium in the nicotine department.

I enjoy this blend. Not my go to blend but would like to try some young and see the difference.

Pipe Used: Hilson

Age When Smoked: 2 years 7 months

Purchased From: Ebay

Dragonslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragonslayer (4)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

The Exhausted Rooster, is it too tired to crow? I received a tin of C&D ER a while ago in a hit back trade and put it in my “smoking box”. While searching today for something a bit different the tin came out with a why not, the artwork is cool and my two favorite words in tobacco… Virginian and Perique. On opening it and working my way through the 3 layers of cardboard I'm searching for some tin notes. To say it had a rum aroma would be an insult to rum. This was almost vinegar. This mostly past and some hay from the burley started to show.

What surprised me was the cut. Listed as a broken flake it seems more like the intent was to produce a flake and with too much burley or not enough time, it was basically your first quarter inch cuts for cubing. Fairly dry with only a few minutes after finishing the cubing job, the bowl was filled and the char lit. A flash of spice from the Perique some nut from the burley but no Virginian to be found. First light became what the bowl was about. This was another blend of burley adding a little Virginian and Perique to make it sound different. Thankfully the alcohol smell was gone in the smoke.

The smoke has quality to it mostly added by the cut. Cubing this is the saving grace here. If this was a ribbon and the Virginian and Perique quickly burning off, a total fail. The cubes allow for an even release of a hint of sweetness from the Virginian and the occasional hit of Perique. With a little more of both would make this a smoke for the burley man's rotation. Towards the bottom the Perique steps up and matches with the hay and nut of the burley. The quality of the burley is defiantly above average and the tin should have listed it first. There's nothing Virginian about this, and it's a quality burley, so marketing this as a Virginian I believe hurt the blend for those looking for a burley. The finish unloads the vitamin N with a force, and the quality of the burley and the cut left a white and gray finish with a single tamp and one re-light. So I recommend this to a burley smoker looking for a quality burley that is really a full flake that fell apart into strips and a little Perique and heavy N. This is the first time I've run across a burly that could be cubed nicely and it does make a big difference. I'll be hitting back my traders with this as it was a surprise to enjoy a long smoke with a cube cut BURper.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (55)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I considered myself lucky to find a Aug '12 can hidden in the back shelf of my local tobacconist. I rushed home and blew off the dust and popped the top. ahhhh that smell.. Had a bit of vinegar smell to it. But underneath the white lid was a beautiful row of golden looking tobacco pressed to perfection at the right moisture content. (Reminds me of Sunday Picnic) I went large and reached for my Peterson XL305.

Holy cock-a-doodle doo! The tin art gives you the impression this is a lazy rooster but this rooster is a fighter! The smell of the Va's start it off, but then it gets spicy. However, the perique is a bit in the background. The burley drives the blend. Then the nicotine jumps in the fight… and I mean Nicotine. I can handle my nicotine but boy this was a shock. I've smoked long enough to know when to the put the pipe down and going large at first smoke didn't help matters. I like the N drug but my knees buckled when I got out of the car after running some errands. This is a great old school smoke with some great flavor. Though the ingredients are common the blend and taste have a refreshing twist and freshness to it. I like it! However, newbies beware this Rooster likes a good fight. Smoke it up!

Pipe Used: Peterson XL 305

Age When Smoked: From Aug 12 tin. Opened 9/10

Purchased From: Jr Cigars

Similar Blends: A bit like Sunday Picnic..

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)

This is a great tobacco! C&D keeps me coming back for more with entertaining tin art and outstanding blends! ER grabs you from the tin opening with a fantastic fermented fruit smell. The ribbons rub out nicely and stayed lit. The taste is wonderful with the tin notes playing throughout nicely in the background. I am a pipe/cigar smoker from way back and I can say this is at the top of my list for a great smoke.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Being new to pipes, Exhausted Rooster was my first experience outside of the standard drugstore brands. C&D jumped out at me with their tin art so I made them my first purchase of a quality tobacco. When I opened the tin, I was blown away by the amazing smell of fermented fruits. It was mouth watering. Rubbing out the flake was a fun experience for a newbie like me as well. After filling my cob and lighting it, I was amazed at the smooth and mellow taste it brought forth. The smell from the tin comes out very light in the smoke but even an inexperienced piper like me could pick it up; very pleasing. I'm sorry to say that I'm smoking the last of it as I write this review. Although there are a ton of tobaccos I'm still waiting to try, I know this one will be part of my budding rotation for a while.I almost hope nobody else picks up on how good this blend is so I can have it all to myself lol!! Give it a try.

C& D gives us another winner. The larger flakes in my tin were ~ 2"x3"x1/16" and mostly brownish with some golden and darker colors intermixed. Many were broken up and I don't know if this was by design or occurred in transit. The tin aroma was intense and inviting. The ideal moisture content allowed easy lighting and packing without any rubout and a smoke without the need for relights. At the start, the Perique came thru but then the smoke smoothed out and the balance of the components was great to the end. Give it a try.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I bought this bc I like va/pers and I like to expand my experience of the range in a blend style. And, of course the tin art lol. Poor bastard. At least he gets a smoke break. Initially they were out when I ordered it, and they got back to me by email when the had it again. Btw, the people at just for him are second to none on customer service. Actually got back me by way of a personal email. Thanks Amanda.

Tin note is not what I thought it would be. Very sweet, raisins, ketchup kind do of smell too. It translates to the charring light, and and was not my cuppa first time around. It settles in very well though. Presentation in the can is a mess. Not a bad one, but still. All chunks and such. Interesting color layering. You can a few different browns and golds in there. The flakes must be huge when they cut them. Doesn't matter too much to me as I prefer to rub it out nowadays.

The flavor is pretty full after about the first third. I think I'm beginning to pick up on the dark fired Kentucky flavor now. The perique pops up only here and there in the first half and makes itself better known in the second. Peppery goodness and hot a bit like cinnamon. (I put my finger on that after reading sillyoldbears review). I like this one a great deal now that I have gotten about halfway through the can I bought. It's grown on me. Also, I get a nice mellow nic high off this one.

The last quarter of the bowl is turning out to be delicious. Reminds me of how I prefer the the end of a cigar more than the beginning. Full and earthy. I would definitely recommend this to va/per fan, or a full bodied tobacco smoker. I will most likely order more of this in the future, if not just try others from c&d. Happy smoking.

Update: it does much better in my opinion having been left in the can for awhile and coming back to it. I think the flavors came together a bit more. It wasn't as much of a slap on the charring light and smoked down easy, with a nice peppery flavor that I find to be delicious. If I could give it another half star for that I would.

Pipe Used: Peterson #01, MM diplomat

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: Just for him

Similar Blends: Haddo's delight.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with other reviewers that this smokes more like a burley than a VA. It is very smooth and subtly sweet. The perique is mildly present and pleasant. Where I disagree with other reviewers is in the strength. I'm no heavyweight, but for a C&D burley blend with perique to boot, this is very mild; not wimpy but mild.

Just as a side note, I didn't really get the name, "Exhausted Rooster." But my wife said it was rather suggestive. "Well, what do farmers normally keep roosters to do?" she asked. Maybe the blenders thougth this would be a good smoke after some hard work of egg fertilization. I'll report back and let ya'll know.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

in my opinion a very balanced tobacco. Taste according to my opinion: Slightly sweet, with hints of bread and molasses and also some small hints of something that reminds me of cinamon. This tobacco goes well with flavours like a good stored Rhum and/ or Whiskey.

Im new to pipe smoking so i'm reffering to flavours i know instead of different types of tobacco.

SmokeyBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyBear (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

From a fresh tin this is truely a great tobacco. This blend of broken flake is golden and smells great in the tin like rasin mixed with a touch of heaven!

Burns to a white ash right out of a fresh tin (no drying time needed) has a sweet flavor from the start from the virginias and developes rather quickly to a spicy peppery flavor. This blend would be best as a evening smoker with a good scotch/whiskey or strong coffee in my opinion. A nice oaky red wine would also do well with this blend. The perique really comes out halfway through the bowl and dominates the finish. Strong nicotene kick with thick smoke. The room note would be slightly offensive to the non-smoker but rather intoxicating to smokers. Overall this in my opinion is a top shelf tobacco for the experienced smoker.....aeromatic lovers need not apply.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

The tobacco seemed to be a bit under-developed. The smoke was quite harsh and had an acidic quality against the throat and nostrils. The finish was undesirably rancid. The only upside was the extreme jolt of nicotene.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not bad. Not great either. Just OK. Very moist so you have puff slow to manage the bite. Tin note is nice. Has some type of alcohol casing. Virginians are sweet. Not enough perique and too much burley. Leaves a cigarette aftertaste in your mouth. I'll let it dry out a bit before I take another stab at it.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have a confession to make. I tried it, tried it again, waited a couple of months and tried it again. I just found it to be simple. I bought an 8 oz. tin and had high hopes but was dissapointed. I found it best after fully rubbing out and drying a bit. Very good tobacco with richly dense smoke, and nice flavor, maybe for me just not enough perique. Also, I am a big fan of "Frog on the Byou" so maybe I am missing the latakia.

My confession is this: I did add 2 oz. of latakia, mixed thoroughly, watied a couple of months, and liked it a lot better.

JasonDicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JasonDicker (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

With each bowl of Exhausted Rooster it has steadily climbed to my #1 spot of all- time favorite blends, sharing the podium with Sunday Picnic. Being new to C&D blends, I sampled over 40 of their fantastic blends and Rooster was the tin I finished first! That tells you a lot! I love vaper blends, but the addition of burley makes for an incredibly deep & tasty smoke, leaving a lasting impression.

It can be a bit difficult to smoke if not rubbed out and aired properly, but once you are fully acquainted with the Rooster, you'll have a life-long friend!

BurleyLegal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyLegal (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

After spending some time trying this magnificant flake in different pipes and varying stages of rubbing out, I have welcomed the Rooster into my fold of tobaccos that I vow to never be without. The flakes come slightly broken and a tad moist for my preference, but after a brief dryout the Rooster smokes great in whatever incarnation of rubout you prefer. The tin note is staggeringly delicious as many have said (I will add "eggnog spiked with Gosling's rum" to the list of descriptions). If you are a fan of dark fired burley you owe it to yourself to try this one, the burley is delicous and assertive and the flavor sitcks with you for a while after you are done. It has that "just right" amount of sweetness that I enjoy and a pleasantly medium amount of vitamin N. There are some great cigar-like flavors and aromas, and the room note is fantastic (for me, anyway). If you have a passion for BurVaPers like I do I simply cannot recommend Exhausted Rooster enough. Slainte'!

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm kind of caught in the middle with this tobacco. I opened my 50 gram tin about a month ago. I enjoy the tin note of rasin like others have said kind of like a fruitcake. I also like the taste and smell of the bacco but it likes to slightly sting my tongue. Its not a harsh bite and its not so bad that I have to put the pipe down but it is noticable. This is my first experience with perique and I'm sure that's what is stinging me. Iv had the tin opened for a month and still have to dry the rubbed leaves for about 15 minutes. It seems like the rooster needs to be packed more loosely than others and needs a few relights but once it gets going it is not a bad smoke. I would like to try another blend with perique to see how it compares to exhausted rooster. I think I will put the other half of this tin up for around christmas time and see if my tastes have changed.

juanmedusa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanmedusa (8)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I seem to be with the minority here but I did not care for this blend. I found the flavoring to be cloying with this one. I am looking for a more natural taste from my va/pers. I get about three good puffs per bowl where I think the tobacco outshines the flavoring but that's it. I would however recommend this to an aromatc / mild aromatic smoker that may not be put off by the flavoring. But not for me.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When the rooster crows at the break of dawn,you'll roll over and I'll be gone. You're the reason I'll be travelin' on, but don't think twice. Its all right....... This line goes through my mind as I smoke this fine weed. The lyrics don't have much in common with the tobacco except the word "rooster". It is much better than "all right" and I would never leave it behind..... Come to think of it, I seem to be singing this Bob Dylan song to myself no matter what I'm doing. Anyway...This blend has a fragrant smell upon opening the tin, from the topping, that doesn't carry over that strongly to the flavor of the tobacco once lit. With mostly rich burley flavor, virginia comes through nicely and the perique is noticeably slight. This blend comes a bit more moist than most Cornell & Diehl blends and I dry it for twenty minutes after rubbing out.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

At last, me lads, one from C & D or G.L. Pease that I can truly enjoy.

The previous reviewrs have summarized this tobacco very well already.

Suffice to say my tin was dated May '09 when I opened it today. Yes, there is a topping similar to eggnog that will be present in the taste when smoked, bringing a refreshing addition to the sweetness of the VA, the slight nuttiness & smokiness of the DFK, and the occasional punch of the Perique.

It smokes very well, has a good dose of vitamin N and I thouroughly loved it.

I will buy more and I can garantee you that this one will become part of my top 5 favorites.

You must try the Rooster!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

Although not a burley fan, this blend is very enjoyable to me. It's for fans of natural tobacco in which one can taste the actual tobacco flavors. If there is a topping, I don't notice much of it during the smoke. The burley is certainly present, so fans of JackKinfe plug might want to give this a go. It's not the same but there are similar flavors in there.

It's a broken-up flake, and thoroughly rubbed out it's an easy light. The bowl I'm smoking right now I didn't bother - I just shoved a wad in and lit up. In this case it took a few relights, but once on fire it burns steadily and reliably.

The last third is awesome. If the whole bowl was like that it would get four stars.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I was a bit put off by the "vinegary" aroma in the can. Fortunately, the can aroma doesn't affect the taste of this top shelf offering.

Despite what the label reads, there seems to be more than "a dash of Perique" in here. Not that this is a bad thing, the Perique blends perfectly with the Virginias and Burley for a satisfying and tasty smoke.

Can't find any faults with this one...VaPer lovers should definitely give Exhausted Rooster a dance.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I rather enjoyed this one, the VA's for me had a nice base flavor which balanced well with the Perique and Burley to deliver a bit more of a punch. For me this one hit a bit hard with the nicotine and so it isn't a regular smoke for me. I still have a bit more left from a small sample, so perhaps I'll have more to say about it later on, but as of now not being a huge burley fan and taking a foray into the C&D burley blends, this one comes out as one of the better ones for me.

Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (25)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this tin in December based on the name and tin art, and it was definitely better than expected. When I opened the tin and saw the loose broken flake and the marbled and consistent colors of yellow, burnt orange, and brown my mouth began to water. The tin aroma was like plump juicy raisins in a fresh made fruit cake. I did not bother with drying it out as it felt sufficiently dry to the touch as I loaded my first bowl after rubbing it out. Sipping the unlit full bowl brought the raisin taste to my mouth along with background notes of dark fruit.

My initial impression when I lit the bowl was that the blend was pretty bland other than a light spiciness which was most likely the perique. After my first tamp, the raisin-like taste came back full throttle with more of that underlying darker taste that danced from a dark rum back to a dark fermented fruit pulp. The taste of a rich, but not sharp, fruit cake is the best way I can describe this blend. These flavors stayed down to the light gray ash at the bottom of the bowl. I did not find this blend to have a long finish, but it did leave a nice and toasty room note.

I found after having this in my rotation for a week that I preferred it fully rubbed out in a briar, but enjoyed a whole flake stuffed in a cob or meerschaum. Note that I do tend to burn my cobs and meerschaums hotter than my briars. I will definitely be buying more of this to cellar to see how it develops with time.

vinnie799 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vinnie799 (33)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Man this rooster really crows! Opening the tin I was smelling some kind of sweet liquor, almost had me relapsin'. A broken flake that I find easy to rub out and smoke right away. I did find though if she dries out some it gets like it wants to bite ya. But then when you mess with an Exhausted Rooster ya just might get an adverse reaction.

I like to smoke this blend slowly and boy is it rewarding and the taste stays with me for a while afterward. Just long enough to tell me to grab another pipe and have saome more if time allows. If not, I'm lookin' for anyother chance to fire some up. This blend seems to work best in a medium to small bowl. With a big bowl the rooster just crow too loudly and gets a little bity with all the flavoring burning in there. Yeah , this is a really nice blend and there are several tins under my belt and more on the way.

This one gets FOUR stars without a doubt!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an unequivocal 4-star smoke to me. It thwarted and then exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with. I've long been a fan of C&D, but I would also say that only a few of their blends are flat-out spectacular. This, I am happy to say, is one of them.

The presentation and burning characteristics are typical of a well-prepared flake tobacco. They fold, stuff, or rub out easily. They are a bit moist, so I recommend drying them for a little while before loading your pipe.

There is a definite topping applied here. I'm not sure what it is, but it immediately reminds me of Haddo's Delight -- it's not identical, but very similar. Upon first light, the flavors of sweet VA dominate the bowl. As the smoke progresses, the burleys begin to assert themselves more along with the perique. This blend isn't exactly complex, but there are some subtle nuances that may at first escape your attention. There's a decent nicotine hit here, and absolutely no hint of bite. The flakes smoke cool and don't require much in the way of relighting.

This strikes me as being -- in effect, if not in design -- a toned-down flake version of Haddo's Delight. It's not quite as sweet or tangy as Haddo's but it's considerably easier to smoke. This is not a bad thing. It won't completely replace Haddo's in my rotation, but it's a great alternative on days when I'm wanting something not quite as full yet equally tasty (which, for the record, means most days).

ewlewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlewis (7)

First this is a flake-ish type tobacco for me. I suppose it is a flake, but it easily separates for those who like to break their flakes down. I found it enjoyable whether I folded and stuffed a flake or if I broke it down to be gravity filled.

The aroma right from the tin packs a big sweet, almost fruity, punch, giving a promise of what it may smoke like. The VA's definitely provide a pronounced sweet taste, so much so that I want to say there is a coating on this baccy. The perique does not present itself until later in the bowl and the burley was hardly present for me, other than as a side note that helped add balance to the blend.

This particular blend seemed to fair better in larger bowls, which allowed the nuances to come to the forefront. The strong scent of the the tobacco that is present at first does tend to lay back a bit as the perique comes forth. This could be an everyday smoker for some, just not me. I did enjoy it quite a bit though and will smoke it quite regularly.

Well, this one surprised me! I was expecting a sweet flavored aromatic, could swear I smell a sweet topping on this one by smelling it in the bag, but it never developed in the smoke at all. The smoke from this blend just tasted nice and VA sweet, fuller bodied than a VaPer because of the burley and the perique moves in and out during the bowl, there but not dominating. It is rich and creamy and I enjoyed this bowl all the way down to a nice dark grey ash at the bottom of the bowl. It comes in a nice slightly loose flake, feels someehat damp when handling, which is different for a C and D blend, but several hours of drying in a tray and it was perfect1 Rubbed out easy, packed easy, lit easy and was just a joy to smoke. I only had to relite once about halfway down. For a Vaper fan, and I am, that wantes to try something a little fuller bodied but still taste the sweet hay flavor of the Va and with perique used as a spice, it would be hard to beat this one. Highly recommended!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I get a distinct flavor of Rum, similar to Barbary Coast, this is even better, to me this is a wonderful burley blend, a good dose of nicotine, with the VA/per taking a solid place alongside... solid natural tobacco tastes, a top strong Burley/VA Flake.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To me this is a nice anytime tobacco. I detected what I thought to be a scent of a topping in the tin, but it never transfers into the smoke. The flakes are the right moisture level for me. Packs and lights well after rubbing out. The perique is nicely balanced with the Burley and Virginia. Smokes cool, dry and slow. A solid choice in the VaBurPer realm.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

A great all time tobacco for my tastes. The perique addition is very well balanced, so it doesn't adds a unpleasant strength and pepperness to the taste. I detected a very subtle fruity freshness of the pure Virginia. Many of the pipe smokers may consider this flavor a casing. From my point of view this nice flavor comes out from the pure, high quality Virginia. The flakes have a suitable moisture degree, althouh you may dry them a bit to suit your personal preferences. The tobacco packs and lights well. Smokes nicely and slowly. A top shelf choice for all the Va-Per lovers which will also enjoy the Burley addition here.

funkysideup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkysideup (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Upon opening the tin the first time I was shocked by the aroma of, eggnog? I didn't let this deter me. The dark brown flakes are a good size and hold together well. ER is a bit moist right out of the tin. After about an hour of sitting out a flake is ready. These flakes pack easily. It's a little work to get lit (2 or 3 charring lights) but no problems after that. It has a sweet taste that is to be expected from a Virginia. There is also a taste I can't put my finger on, kind of like malt. I can still taste ER half an hour after finishing a bowl. All in all I would say ER is pretty good stuff. G

A very nice VaBur flake. The topping was a bit like eggnog, but not overpowering in any way. I loved puffing on this, and finished the tin pretty quick. Nice tin, as one would expect from C&D. Sometimes they let you down, but often the artwork approaches that of classic cartoons. The burley let itself be a little too well known for my tastes when I puffed it hard, which I was tempted to do because of the sweet Virginia element. I did not taste much perique, perhaps it was there. Sometimes I like heavy perique, so perhaps I'm jaded. I wouldn't put any more perique in this, though; it's fine the way it is. I do like what C&D does with burley; sometimes they could almost convert me.

1-20-10 Just ordered the 8oz can, along with the new Merde de Cheval (horse shit) by F&K. I want to see if the rooster crows as sweetly for me as he did before!

5-3-11 Aging nicely in the jar. I don't smoke this all the time, but enjoy it when I do. It can be a bit of a strong one if you want it to be!

Morgoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morgoth (22)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A true VaPer this is not. The Burley is forward facing, with support from the Virginia and more subtly by the Perique.

I am bewildered by some of the “Flavoring” ratings here...makes me chuckle. To me...a definite Egg Nog or Rum ‘n Raisin, heavily laden, casing. Think rum extract used in baking, versus the alcoholic drink. It is definitely perceptible in the flavor when smoked...particularly the first third of the bowl. This surprisingly does burn off, and some nuttiness of the Burley eventually becomes evident...absolute pleasure for the last two thirds of the bowl.

Rubbing it our further, and letting it dry on a side-board for a couple of hours was desirable. I blew through this 2oz can rather quickly...I must have liked it a lot.

Recommended.

A companion infusion: Pumpkin Spiced Latte.

Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This being my first foray into the world of Cornell & Diehl, I must admit to being impressed. I had heard much good of the company's offerings before, and had read a lot of very positive reviews here, but even after that, I was surprised by this beauty.

Taking into consideration that the C&D offerings are a bit on the expensive side in Europe (there is an 89 % import duty on non-EU made blends), I am currently still expanding my horizons and after all the good things I had heard and read, I thought I could invest in a couple of 50 g tins.

Opening the tin of Exhausted Rooster, I was greeted by what I can only describe as creamy freshness, the Perique and VA reaching out to me with a hint of smokiness in there, with an amount of fruitiness that I at first had to get myself accomodated with; I am not really used to such a combination of forces of VA citrus/orange, Perique freshness and DFK toastiness.

The tin I got contained what may have entered the tin as complete flake slices in the U.S., when it reached me it was basically a rough ready-rubbed which stuffs easily and lights OK -- it was a little on the moist side at first. The taste shouts "tobacco!" from the first full puff; the Perique gives this blend a delightful, champagne-like bubbliness; the VA provides the sweetness and the Kentucky spices things up nicely. Burning smoothly and gently, I'd say this one is for the wider bowls -- it needs some space.

The room note is dominated by the VA with some Perique and KY notes noticeable in a nice way. I was complimented on it by a non-smoker, so I guess it must be pleasant or better.

Exhausted Rooster belies its name though; the strength (fullness and nicotine content) is anything but exhausted, but I guess I can see how a rooster might want to smoke this blend at the end of a hard day of work. I wouldn't recommend this blend to novices or afficionados of English blends, but I believe even Aromatics smokers might get a kick out of it. Beautiful, and even though all C&D blends are in the Rolls-Royce price bracket here in Germany, I seriously consider buying more.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Im in a quest of good Virginia/Burley/Perique blend. Tried this blend. This is an ok blend to smoke just to break the routine of your go to smoke. This blend will deliver its potency when smoke on the dry side. First half of the bowl will be smooth and a bit of that perique sting. but the last half is when all that punch will sneak up on you. Dont make a mistake like me smoking this on a XL upshall. recommended to be smoked in a small to medium bowl.

KAW999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KAW999 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

How should I say this... Exhausted Rooster upon opening the tin I personaly dislike the smell, it is cased rather heavy and not to pleasing to me but it really fills my nicotine need. ER also holds a lite rather well with some effort at drying the tobacco. I've been experimenting with different blends trying to find a all day smoke and I think I will be continuing my quest. I will keep this blend and smoke the three tins I have already bought but I do not think I will buy anymore.

pghmod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pghmod (5)
Medium Mild Full Strong

Now I may be fairly new to pipe smoking, but I have to chime in on my review of this tobacco due to the fact that an overwhelming amount of people seemed to have enjoyed it, but I have not. The tin aroma is very citrus-like - a tad overpowering and pungent at first, but upon airing out a bit, it calms down to a rather pleasant aroma. My first smoke I have chalked up to poor rubbing, tight packing, and not enough air drying of the tobacco - it was a horrendous experience.

In my second smoke I feel I got things "right" and suffered through no tongue bite, and had to relight far less. I still suffered through an odd feeling through my mouth, and tonsils - very tingly. The flavor still tasted somewhat "burnt" in nature, although it was not smoking hot by any means. My experience with VA based blends in the past has been much more pleasant, with a multitude of flavors coming in and out at various stages of the bowl, but no luck here. My friends have had the same experience, sampling some of my tin.

As stated, my few months of pipe experience may be somewhat to blame here, but take this as a warning to fellow 'noob' pipe smokers - beware of this higly rated blend.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Since Craig Tarler has perfected the processing of Flake tobacco's, I have become a fan like never before. Every one I have tried has the characteristics of perfection in blending, smoothness in smoking, and the wonderful taste and aroma of natural tobacco. The "Rooster" is another Four-Star blend for me. I enjoy the Burley element of this Flake. Every C&D Flake presents a unique charactor to be enjoyed. I recommend them all to you. They're all excellent for the discriminating pipe smoker.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Rich rum, rich fired burley, rich perique. Very good and tasty.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

=supplemental review 6/19/09= I have really gotten into the Va/Per thing now that warmer weather is upon us and I decided to finish off this tin. I like the taste a lot. The eggnog topping is still there but does not in any way make itself into the smoke. The smoke was just a very nice, somewhat cool burning Va/Per. I enjoyed the rest of the tin very much. I won't buy any more because the topping is not to my liking and I have many other tobaccos to try and this one will not make my regular rotation. Perhaps the few months of sitting in the tin did this one well. Anyway, I upped my review to * three stars. If there was a 2.7 I would give it that.

The tin says "a tasty flake of Virginias, dark fired burley and a dash of Perique." To me this seems like a Va/Per from the description. I have to put it in that category by taste exept for one very strange addition. This smells like egg nog. The tin has some nice cartoon like artwork, a catchy name and a description of a va/per flake with some burley in it. For some reason the blender decided to add some egg nog topping that takes away from the potential of a great va/per. It doesn't taste like egg nog but it smells so strongly of flavoring that you think you have a heavily cased tobacco when you open the tin. Look under the paper and you don't find a flake but rather a broken flake which is not quite the same thing. I smoked some and couldn't get beyond the egg nog thing then put the rest into a small sealed Ball jar for 6 months. I have been loving and getting really in to the Va/per experience and decided to pick this up again. Once again I found a tobacco with no identity. It wants to smell like a flavored aromatic, wants to taste like a va/per, wants to be a flake but somehow fails miserably in all areas. I really want to like these blends from Cornell and Diehl because I want tobacco with no humectants, but I can't help but think that perhaps they really need a master blender to make all this ambition really work. It seems like a pipe tobacco inthusiast with lots of money decided to make tobacco but forgot to actually get somebody involved who knows how to make those magical alchemical blends. This blend is all flash and no substance. Just a big disappointment. I will try some more blends from Cornell and Diehl but will I ever really find a tobacco from them that meets my hopes? this blend gives me doubts.

vincenzo peruggia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vincenzo peruggia (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not a burly fan at all ! Had to go with the rooster when my supplier ran out of my regular C+D blend Sunday picnic , That won"t happen again ! Anyway with full knowledge I don"t like burley in my Virginia read the tin " Virginia Burley Perique !I laid the money down and walked out .I am more lucky than clever!The blend is nice I like it . If I was a burley lover it might well blow me away. i will keep some on hand! I would also like to say with as many blends as C+D puts out I am amazed at the quality of the ones I've tried. It shows they love what they do.I will experiment with more of their blends;and keep the faith. Vincenzo now somewhat a burley believer!

mrmcmc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmcmc (15)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well folks, this is as close as one can get to an aged Old Vine Zinfindel, in a pipe. Upon opening the tin, it is nearly impossible to want to smoke this stuff. It smells so good, one almost wants to merely sniff this stuff. Hints of chocolate and fruit, almost good enough to eat. An excellent offering in the pipe. Notes of Almonds and Pecans, berries, an excellent Virginia sweetness, held together with just the right amount of spice from the Perique. It does not get much better than this. I can't seem to put this one down, and just ordered another pound of this fine blend. Kudos to Cornell and Diehl, for yet one more excellent offering. I tip my hat to you gentlemen, and I can't thank you enough for this particular batch of weed. Happy Smoking!!!

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really wanted to wake up to the cock-a-doodle-doo of the rooster but that's probably not going to happen. This is a high quality mixture without a doubt so it gets a full three stars. I just can't smoke something that smells and tastes like a Cadbury rum and butter chocolate bar(IMO). When I smoke a virginia/perique mixture I want to taste only the natural tobacco flavors that are produced with that combination. If you like Virginia/perique mixes to have added flavors atop it's natural base then you would be hard pressed to find better then this and I would never hesitate to recommend Mr. Tarler's skillful products.

jazzyguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzyguy (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What am I tasting???? It is SO delicious and so overwhelmingly tasty that I find it to be one of the best tobaccos I have experienced in over 50 years of smoking pipes. I would never have learned of this excellent blend had it not been for Tobacco Reviews and once again I wish to extend my thanks, All I can say is VIVA EXHAUSTED ROOSTER! (Pardon my shouting but it must be shouted out!)

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

This rooster is just ok, not somthing Id rush to re-order. I found it to be perfumed up with a topping that kind of reminded me of cloves. Ive smoked only one tin, and it seemed the topping became more noticable the more I smoked. I like Haunted Bookshop much better than this.

Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Very nice flavored VaPer. The aroma from the tin and the first third of the bowl is so similar to Haddo's Delight that one could say this is a great imitation. So, this mixture's main problem is the unavoidable comparison to Haddo's, which won't hurt it until you reach half the bowl. From there, Haddo's evolves in new subtle flavors, while ER stays the same thoughout the smoke.

If it wasn't for the Dark Lord, this would get 4/4.

UsaRet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UsaRet (17)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is some seriously good tobacco. When I opened the tin it smelled so good I wanted to eat it. The tobac was a little moist for my taste so I dried it a bit and then experienced one fantastic smoke.

The burley gives a nice medium body to the smoke and the topping is not noticed while smoking. The virginia was in the lead and the perique gives an extra zing without over powering the blend. No tounge bite and it burns to a nice ash all the way down the bowl.

Be forwarned, Exhausted Rooster can become habit forming.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Now, this is a blend to ?CROW? about! Exhausted Rooster is exceedingly smooth, well balanced and with a nice, light touch of perique. The blend also proved to be somewhat puzzling. To wit, although this is primarily a burley blend, I enjoyed it much more in my pipes I reserve for VA blends and less so in my pipes that I reserve for burley blends. What?s that about? Talk among yourselves. I?m EXHAUSTED!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.93 out of 10.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This one is a knock out. I expect flavor from my pipe and this delivers. My experience was very simillar to the previous reviews except the initial perique kick only lasted a couple minutes then it smoothed out quite nicely. Firey is a good way to describe this. I mean that in a very good way.

As far as tin aroma I can't figure exactly what it smells like but it made me rush to get it in a pipe, I'll put it that way. I have smoked mcclellands a lot but am finding the C&D products to smell and taste better to me in most instances. A lot of perique out there gets at my throat like burning tree leaves in an unpleasent way but this C&D is not like that at all. Until now I disliked perique, I think I am converted in this case.

This has a good kick to it but remains soft enough to enjoy. It smoked dry all the way to the bottom with no dottle, just ash. This tobac is the exact opposite of many others in the fact that it starts off sharp and gets better and better till it's over. Never dissapoints at the end and that often makes all the difference to me.

This is not a dark flake unless yours was aged a lot more than mine. I got mine straight from C&D at the pipe show and it was golden brown with small bits of stoved burley scattered about. The tobac is extreme high quality leaf but honestly I had to pick out more stem than I thought I should have.

I believe the magic in this one comes from the fired burley. It ties it all together. Very Nice, Firey and spicy yet smooth at the same time. Superb balance of flavors and does have some complexity. Perique complements the burley and the va keeps it from going sour. So very well thought out. I smoked it straight from the tin with no drying and was very surprised it stayed lit well and burned dry and cool, leaving my pipe dry and clean. I'll try a little air time but it is delivered at very nice moisture level and the tobac is springy when rubbed out.

Very nice and highly reccomended to someone who has a little experience. This could be a little too much for a beginner. My friend who smokes aromatics could not smoke this more than 5 min at a time. Said it was too much for him and I know he wanted to dump it but did'nt want to offend me after what I paid for it so he probablly is hurting right now in the tongue. Again it is a superb blend if you have a few bowls of english or straight va under your belt. If you are an aromatic smoker it might bite you hard and is not a good starting point to cross over- comprable to a good red va as far as tongue bite issues go.

I think you owe it to yourself to try this.

Update: not really smoking this anymore, I just can't find long term satisfaction in a burley. Still for those who like this kind of thing great tobacco.

drmeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drmeer (20)

Good stuff, with a nice smell in the tin. Lights well, smokes pretty dry, but smoke it slow or it will give you the shakes. Kidding... but like strong liquor, sip it.

muddler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muddler (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The scent on first opening the tin is scarily similar to that of Haddo?s Delight. But the backy didn?t hold this scent as long as HD does. It?s a dark flake & was presented at the perfect moisture level. It lit with no difficulty. In spite of the 'just a dash of Perique', it was the first thing I noticed ? a flush that soon passed, softened by the Va?s. But the Perique was there, a little touch of spice on the tip of my tongue. And then the Burley came through, nutty & solid, straightforward but rounded. Until two-thirds of the way through the bowl. Then the most remarkable change occured: it all backed off & was replaced by a soft, creaminess ? quite perfect. A bit like Lindt chocolate. I could detect no dominance of ANYTHING at this stage, apart from a certain smugness. At this stage too, my wife noticed the smoke & commented that it smelt wonderful & mild. The pipe is a Pete deluxe which I?d just given a quick reaming with my pipe tool. It is one of my older pipes ? I have a soft spot for it since I bought it from the Pete shop in Dublin. Now I?m about ¾ of the way down the bowl. The cream is still all there but the perique is creeping in again. Bliss...

This is a very fine smoke indeed. Highly recommended.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'll most likely come back and update this after a few more bowls in different pipes. I've smoked it in three different pipes thus far and will today fire up a deep and narrow bowl in one of my favorites. This, like most others, reacts differently to different bowls. So far it is a major thumbs up - for lovers of Burley. I prefer Bluegrass Melody (best fresh), Solani Aged Burley Flake as well as the Wessex stuff, Gawaith's shaggy Kendal Kentucky, Cumberland...you know, the darker Burley blends, unflavored thank you. While E. Rooster isn't exactly unflavored (the very slight whatever it is adds to the tobacco experience instead of sitting as a seperate flavor) the main experience is that of dark Burley with just a hint of Perique (a little less would have been OK - but it doesn't detract) and some VA to sweeten things out a bit. If you've ever smoked a really straight dark Burley you know it needs "something" to hang it's hat on. To complete that analogy, this is a dark brown fedora with a cocoa band pulled down over one eye with a wink and a knowing smile - a HIT right in the 9 ring...very, very good stuff.

Update: Two notes: One: This works VERY well in deep large bowls. I tried this twice yesterday in a monster sized cherrywood poker (long shank stem) and it was sublime. Two: While working on a trade to get MORE of this I discovered that C & D are now doing 8 and 16 oz. tins via their website. currently the pounders are going for $50 - to me, for this quality, it's a steal!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

This VA/Bur/Per blend is just what I expect from a top notch tobacco company. The balance of tobaccos is excellent, the quality of the tobacco its self is top shelf and consequently the end result is one fine blend. The tin note is of pungent fruit with just a bit of pepper from the Perique. The dark fire burly adds combustibility to the blend and perhaps a bit of earthiness. The blend is never overly sweet, but never gets sour either. It also burns without any problems to the bottom of the pipe. It does seem to favor a larger pipe, but can be enjoyed in all sizes.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Was lucky enough to receive this as a sample from a good friend. After opening the package, got a fruit like smell- Citrus? I let it air for about an hour and the smell disappated. Rubbed them out and Loaded into a Ser Jac Bulldog reserved for Va/Pers. The initial taste is of a good stout Burley, Perique, Virginia in order of dominance. At the start, the perique is prickly, but not in a bad way. Just letting you know it's there. The Citrus/Orange? flavor plays lightly, but it's there. This is a good solid smoke. Nice flavor, Med Strength, Dependable to the bottom. I like it very much. C&D flakes just get better and better. Try it. You won't be sorry.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin, I was suprised with a nice fruity-like aroma coming from the beautifull tobaccos wich is pretty intense. The virginia dominates then the perique. I fully rubbed out two flakes and put into my pipe. Light my pipe the virginia and perique dominates playing with the dark fired burley till the end. The tobacco is slow burning becouse of his humidity. I smoked it outdoors, smoking indoors I let a pipefull dry out for 30 minutes after rubbed it out. It's fine to have "a dash" of perique in this blend, more will be to much. This blend is a true masterblend and all components are in the right proportions. Enjoy the magic coming from C&D! Highly recommended!