A Virginia blend with Burleys and a modest amount of black Cavendish. Aged in rum for a rich, mild, sweet smoke and fantastic aroma.

BrandMilan Tobacconists
FlavoringRum
Strength
Taste

3.9
chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Let me add kudos along with the last four star ** reviewers to this sweet, superior, mild, and pleasantly aromatic rhum flavoured blend. Milan's Sunset Rum is aptly named, a superb mixture to savor at day's end or to begin an evening of deserved relaxation or quiet contemplation.

If you're in to spirits' based tobacs such as rhum, Irish Cream, whiskey and brandy fixes Sunset Rum has to be a "sine qua non." Never experienced an uninviting bowl. An absolutely pleasurable smoke I look forward to at each encounter with rapt anticipation.

Use it sometimes as a condiment additive to other rhum casing tobacs to ratchet them around to a degree of higher smokability. Truthfully though that is probably a diminuation of Sunset Rum's superior qualities. Happy hunting...

Windstrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Windstrider (8)

This is pretty much a great smoke all the way across the board. Is burns well after a little drying time, unlike most heavily cased aromatics, it doesn't give the least bit of bite. The flavor is terrific and you can certainly taste the smooth rum flavor with every puff. My wife raved about the room note saying, "that is what tobacco should smell like. Later on she kept coming up with little kisses to get the flavor off my lips. That says it all.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Another nice surprise and very pleasant smoke from Milan Tobacconists. Rich, intense rum scent in the bag, and in the air upon lighting. No tongue bite unless pushed pretty hard. Burns down to a light grey ash, with very little moisture in the bottom of the bowl. Burns better packed a little loose, but does burn a bit hot. There is a strong suggestion and taste of sweet rum, but not overly sweet, from the beginning of the smoke through to the end. There are also very pleasant hints of vanilla accompanied by random assertions of sweet fruit occasionally, often suggesting pineapple or apricot, to my palate. Mild taste after the smoke that does not linger overly. Leaves a light vanilla-rum scent in the hair and clothes. Three stars for those who appreciate a splash of the devil's pirate fire in their demon weed, and appreciate an assertive and flavorful but not at all overpowering aromatic.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This one took some work to get right. It's an oily tobacco that burns a little warm. I wound up with a looser pack than usual to bring out the flavor. Packed tight and I get warm air, loose and it becomes friendly and enjoyable. Ticks of sweetness and the rum flavoring wth every puff except at the very end where it seems to turn a little bitter. The flavoring does not coat the tongue like some others.

Aroma, from the pouch, it's the most incredible rum scent I've ever had the pleasure to sense. I'm serious, you may not be able to purchase this stuff in dry counties, it's that intense. Light tamping keeps it going throughout the bowl until the end. The room note gets compliments whenever I'm found with it. Not harsh and no bite, everybody wins.

This is a keeper From Milan and I plan to get even more just to cellar. Rock solid in the rotation and a definite addition on the island selection.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

MozzMann is back! This is my first review in many months! I have requested my #1 all time favorite tobacco to be listed also, so stay tuned for further details on that. Now for my review...Sunset Rum is my second all time favorite smoke. This is a great tobacco that I have been smoking for a few years. This is a great tasting blend with a sweet taste of rum and vanilla. This really burns well and the roomnote is one of the best to be had by such a tobacco. This tobacco I have a habit of smoking 1-2 bowls in succession because it is so enjoyable. After many months I am downsizing my tobacco archives and just sticking with the top 3-4 in my collection. This is without a doubt one of the best aromatic tobaccos on the market!...MozzMann...

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (25)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a delicious, sweet blend! Tastes and smells like Italian rum cream cake! Can burn a tad hot if you go too fast, however when nursed it is very nice and stays on cool side. This is probably the best bulk aero I ever smoked. If you like aromatics you'll love this blend!

Pipe Used: Vilani Nuova, Savinelli sandblast

Purchased From: Milan

Similar Blends: Lanes Mountain Leaf with less Virginia..

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (15)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'll be honest - I was slightly disappointed with this blend. It wasn't bad at all, but I heard so many great things that I expected it to completely blow my mind. It tasted better than most rum aromatics that I've tried, and smelled great. It burned very well and is a great "slow" smoke. I burned a bowl for over an hour without any re-lights. So does it deserve 4 stars? Absolutely. I just don't consider it the end-all of aromatics.

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a strikingly luscious and rich smelling rum soaked tobacco. I also thought there was a suggestion of coconut in the aroma, and it was very pleasing. Soothing luxurious smoke, without artificial after tastes. An exceptional aromatic. For me, it bears comparison to a fine ice wine - best as an after dinner pleasure, and in small amounts.

Peacekeeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peacekeeper (2)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Milan Sunset Rum is one of the very best rum pipe tobaccos made, and there are a lot of bad one's out there. As always with Milan, the tobacco and blending is top qualiity. On opening it the rum smell is strong but plesant, especially when mixed with the sweetness of the Virginia. The Black Cavandish is perfect for soaking up the rum. It is a bit damp for my taste and is improved by letting it air out for a few days, but then I air out just about every pipe tobacco.

When you light it up there is an immediate swirl of rum and great tobacco that stays through the first half of the bowl. After a while I notice the rum gets a bit heavy and begins to overpower the tobacco. I find if I mix it 5 parts Sunset Rum to 1 part Carter Hall and let it stand a week or so, it beefs the burley up a bit and actually smooths out the rum. Fantastic.

The finish is excellent and if dried out a bit leaves very little dwaddle in the bowl.

Andz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andz (4)

I love dark, navy rum, and aromatics are generally my favourite types of tobacco, so the many excellent reviews about this tobacco had me from the start. Having sent all the way to the States for a pound of the stuff, and then having waited patiently for weeks for its arrival, it was with some trepidation that I filled my first pipe. The scent of the tobacco unlit is almost too sweet, and the tobacco arrived literally damp to the touch in a basic, knotted plastic bag. I was a little worried as I lit up. I could not have guessed this tobacco would have such an impact on me. The flavour of rum and coconut hit me immediately, and, amazingly, no second light was required after tamping. Great billows of pure, intense white smoke emanated from my pipe and from me, like steam from a locomotive, and the flavour just increased with every puff. I inhale my pipe smoke, (albeit at irregular intervals,) and was rewarded by a smooth and blissful sensation with no bite, no harsh nicotine buzz, and an increased taste sensation. The tobacco seems to stay alight without effort, and the flavours evolve as the bowl burns. I found the bottom of the bowl slightly wet, and the flavour for me turns slightly, which is to be expected. I quite often find this with aromatics anyway. I simply don't bother smoking the last 10% or so, preferring the fresher, earlier tastes, but that's just my preference. The room note is sweet and really pleasant. My wife adores it! I tend to reserve this tobacco for special moments when I can really appreciate it, but only because it is too expensive to import from the US to be an everyday smoke. I can't say enough good things about this first class blend. If you like any aromatics at all, this one will blow you away. Top drawer!

SBC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SBC (20)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco has salvaged my faith in flavored tobaccos. I had grown cynical. I have a sweet tooth, so when I see people on this site rave about an aromatic, I take note…but most of those 4 star aros that get rave reviews from even respectable reviewers, nevertheless strike me as chemical messes that leave a scary funk in my mouth. I thought I had given up on flavored tobaccos. But Sunset Rum…oh my. This is something else entirely. It's mainly quality VA, aged in rum, but it smells and tastes just like the most brilliant, natural butterscotch. That's what it is: smokeable butterscorch. There is never a hint of anything artificial in the smell or taste—just quality VA and real, natural rum…that's it—but it comes together to create pure butterscotch. From the smell in the pouch to the first light to the bottom of the bowl…every step of the way…natural butterscotch. And the entire time, I was terrified that this wonderful journey would turn south…but it never did. Not once, from beginning to end, did it turn artificial or funky or get hot or anything. It burned well, it burned cool, it burned sweet, it burned natural. And it's butterscotch. If you've got a bit of a sweet tooth but you don't like aromatics, this is your dessert tobacco.

johnson430 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnson430 (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the pinnacle of aromatic tobacco. Milan has blended a masterpiece in a plastic bag. Every aromatic smoker must try this blend: PERIOD. If you have not purchased one of Milan's blends you are truly missing out on some of the best tobacco blends in the states. (No, I do not work for Milan but I am very impressed with their products)

BagleyPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BagleyPipes (5)

I love this blend. The tobacco has a wonderful presentation with the virginia and burleys. The black cavendish is present, but not overwhelming. The smell of the package is ood too. I allowed about ten minutes of dry time and found that the tobacco lit real nice. A nice rum flavor is immediate and lasts the whole bowl. No bite makes this a nice intro smoke. I find that this blend is very enjoyable almost anytime. I highly recommend it!

Deacon John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deacon John (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think this is one of the best tobaccos made by Milan. It has a great full flavor and is mild to smoke. Great tobacco for anyone who likes a rum flavor.

Ciall agus neart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ciall agus neart (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorites. Such a great tasting, smooth smoke. What more can be said...

JCelsius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JCelsius (5)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Absolutely love the stuff. When I'm taking a break from the complexities of other blends and just want a straight forward good smoke, I reach for this. Absolutely wonderful to smoke.

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It is not a surprise that Sunset Rum from Milan is one of their most reviewed aromatics. This well cased aromatic that is sweet and flavored with rum. The role that the rum plays is in support of the blend as it is noticeable, but not overpowering. SR is quite sweet, but not cloying and the flavor carries well throughout the bowl. It does arrive far too wet to smoke, but once prepared it didn't gunk up my pipe. Sunset Rum, while not the best aromatic I have tasted, deserves a spot on the “top shelf.” Three and a half stars.

SithLord1985 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SithLord1985 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend ladies and gentlemen is as good as it gets. This is my favorite all-time smoke. I feel that it gets better as the day goes on but is good at morning, noon, or night. This blend has a slightly spicy yet extremely smooth rum flavor. Everyone that has encountered me while I am enjoying this epic blend is always complimenting on the room note. Even all of my non-smoking co-workers love the smell of this blend. If there is a new smoke to be sampled.....You owe it to yourself to try this magnificent blend. You will not be disappointed.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a really good aromatic smoke! It's mild with a great sweet, spicy, rummy flavor. This could be the elusive all day blend so many pipe smokers search for. I'm on my fourth bowl of the day and I haven't tired of it yet. I think you would have to push this blend real hard to get it to bite. The flavor remains constant through out the bowl. This is one of the best aromatics I've had in many years.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (29)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is an excellent blend. I was actually suprised that I liked it as I usually don't enjoy alcohol based tobaccos. I received a few ounces of this for Chirstmas. I didn't hold much hope for it but I tried it anyway. Boy, was I delighted that I did try it! It packed easily and took very well to a match. The lovely vanilla/ rum flavor filled my pipe and my mouth. The taste stayed consistant and there was very little bite, only if I really abuse it. All in all a very recommended blend.

jhennis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhennis (5)

Very good smoke for the evening right after dinner. This is one you will want to savor on those special moments when everything is right with the world. Very well done Milan! Yum! Yum!

Uh-Oh! 2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uh-Oh! 2012 (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Absolutely wonderful! Doesn't burn hot at all and is very smooth when it in my mouth. Great taste and an even better room note. 4/4.

alleycat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alleycat (5)

One of my favorites. I usually alternate two or three of my favorite blends with something new; I always looking forward to going back to Sunset Rum. I buy it by the half-pound. Milan isn't the best about communications (if you ask a question, you may or may not get an answer), but their shipping is excellent.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

This is a very nice smoke. Read that tin note, because thats exactly what you'll get. Mild, mellow and very tasty with absolutly no bite in the bowl. IMHO what makes this tobacco special is the voluminous amount of smoke it prodoces while maintaining its mild and mellow nature. This is a fine aromatic tobacco !!!