A Virginia blend with Burleys and a modest amount of black Cavendish. Aged in rum for a rich, mild, sweet smoke and fantastic aroma.

BrandMilan Tobacconists

3.8
chetking Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chetking (54)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Let me add kudos along with the last four star ** reviewers to this sweet, superior, mild, and pleasantly aromatic rhum flavoured blend. Milan's Sunset Rum is aptly named, a superb mixture to savor at day's end or to begin an evening of deserved relaxation or quiet contemplation.

If you're in to spirits' based tobacs such as rhum, Irish Cream, whiskey and brandy fixes Sunset Rum has to be a "sine qua non." Never experienced an uninviting bowl. An absolutely pleasurable smoke I look forward to at each encounter with rapt anticipation.

Use it sometimes as a condiment additive to other rhum casing tobacs to ratchet them around to a degree of higher smokability. Truthfully though that is probably a diminuation of Sunset Rum's superior qualities. Happy hunting...

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The toppings, particularly the sweet rum, dominate the tobaccos. The vanilla is a secondary addition, while the caramel is very, very light. What little tobacco taste I get is a minor grass and citrus from the Virginia, nuts from the Burley, and some vanilla from the black cavendish. Has very little nicotine. It’s a little on the wet side, but I didn’t dry it much at all. The flavors are consistent all the way through, though maybe the burley shows a little more toward the finish. Won’t bite. Burns cool, but a little slow, requiring several relights. Leaves moisture in the bowl, and you may have to stir up the last quarter to avoid dottle. Pleasant room note and after taste.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Ah Sunset Rum, this was the other tobacco in my sampler that I was dying to try based on the favorable reviews and Renee told me was their best seller. Smooth and buttery aromatic that had an above average strength, nothing along the lines of 5 bros or 1792 but nonetheless I appreciated the little nic hit. One of the best Rum blends I have tried so far and that's something since I have had Pipeworks and Wilke RumCake which Is extremely popular and high quality. Milan has the best customer service and that combined with their top shelf tobacco's makes them one of my favorite online vendors. Aromatic smokers must try Sunset Rum! 4 stars!

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

MozzMann is back! This is my first review in many months! I have requested my #1 all time favorite tobacco to be listed also, so stay tuned for further details on that. Now for my review...Sunset Rum is my second all time favorite smoke. This is a great tobacco that I have been smoking for a few years. This is a great tasting blend with a sweet taste of rum and vanilla. This really burns well and the roomnote is one of the best to be had by such a tobacco. This tobacco I have a habit of smoking 1-2 bowls in succession because it is so enjoyable. After many months I am downsizing my tobacco archives and just sticking with the top 3-4 in my collection. This is without a doubt one of the best aromatic tobaccos on the market!...MozzMann...

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a delicious, sweet blend! Tastes and smells like Italian rum cream cake! Can burn a tad hot if you go too fast, however when nursed it is very nice and stays on cool side. This is probably the best bulk aero I ever smoked. If you like aromatics you'll love this blend!

Pipe Used: Vilani Nuova, Savinelli sandblast

Purchased From: Milan

Similar Blends: Lanes Mountain Leaf with less Virginia..

cjone107 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cjone107 (18)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'll be honest - I was slightly disappointed with this blend. It wasn't bad at all, but I heard so many great things that I expected it to completely blow my mind. It tasted better than most rum aromatics that I've tried, and smelled great. It burned very well and is a great "slow" smoke. I burned a bowl for over an hour without any re-lights. So does it deserve 4 stars? Absolutely. I just don't consider it the end-all of aromatics.

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a strikingly luscious and rich smelling rum soaked tobacco. I also thought there was a suggestion of coconut in the aroma, and it was very pleasing. Soothing luxurious smoke, without artificial after tastes. An exceptional aromatic. For me, it bears comparison to a fine ice wine - best as an after dinner pleasure, and in small amounts.

Andz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andz (4)

I love dark, navy rum, and aromatics are generally my favourite types of tobacco, so the many excellent reviews about this tobacco had me from the start. Having sent all the way to the States for a pound of the stuff, and then having waited patiently for weeks for its arrival, it was with some trepidation that I filled my first pipe. The scent of the tobacco unlit is almost too sweet, and the tobacco arrived literally damp to the touch in a basic, knotted plastic bag. I was a little worried as I lit up. I could not have guessed this tobacco would have such an impact on me. The flavour of rum and coconut hit me immediately, and, amazingly, no second light was required after tamping. Great billows of pure, intense white smoke emanated from my pipe and from me, like steam from a locomotive, and the flavour just increased with every puff. I inhale my pipe smoke, (albeit at irregular intervals,) and was rewarded by a smooth and blissful sensation with no bite, no harsh nicotine buzz, and an increased taste sensation. The tobacco seems to stay alight without effort, and the flavours evolve as the bowl burns. I found the bottom of the bowl slightly wet, and the flavour for me turns slightly, which is to be expected. I quite often find this with aromatics anyway. I simply don't bother smoking the last 10% or so, preferring the fresher, earlier tastes, but that's just my preference. The room note is sweet and really pleasant. My wife adores it! I tend to reserve this tobacco for special moments when I can really appreciate it, but only because it is too expensive to import from the US to be an everyday smoke. I can't say enough good things about this first class blend. If you like any aromatics at all, this one will blow you away. Top drawer!

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

It is not a surprise that Sunset Rum from Milan is one of their most reviewed aromatics. This well cased aromatic that is sweet and flavored with rum. The role that the rum plays is in support of the blend as it is noticeable, but not overpowering. SR is quite sweet, but not cloying and the flavor carries well throughout the bowl. It does arrive far too wet to smoke, but once prepared it didn't gunk up my pipe. Sunset Rum, while not the best aromatic I have tasted, deserves a spot on the “top shelf.” Three and a half stars.

johnson430 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
johnson430 (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is the pinnacle of aromatic tobacco. Milan has blended a masterpiece in a plastic bag. Every aromatic smoker must try this blend: PERIOD. If you have not purchased one of Milan's blends you are truly missing out on some of the best tobacco blends in the states. (No, I do not work for Milan but I am very impressed with their products)

Bluefin_piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefin_piper (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Highly Recommend for Aromatic fans esp those who enjoy rum flavor. Reminds me of a hot buttered rum with notes of vanilla, caramel, and cinnamon or nutmeg. I would give this 3.5 STARs. Lesser known blend that I stumbled on and was happy to have found. Tin note is sweet with hints of rum, vanilla, and a little spiciness which to me hints at cinnamon or nutmeg. A bit moist when received and could use a small amount of dry time before smoking. Lit and burned well otherwise and burned down to nice white ash. Very little to no nic hit detected. Mild blend which could be an all day smoke or just relaxing summer evening smoke with light sweet and pleasing aftertaste . Overall a nice mild sweet aro that has extremely pleasant rum/vanilla room note which matches closely to the tin note and flavor when smoked.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Milan Tobacconists, https://www.milantobacco.com/index.htm

Little Jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Jack (2)

This blend has a wonderful pouch aroma. I am mostly an aromatic smoker and I consider this an all day smoke. I buy it by the pound and it is a main rotation smoke for me. High quality tobaccos throughout this blend and it smokes dry with very little gurgling unless you push it hard. It burns to a nice ash and maintains flavor throughout the bowl. I get some cinnamon notes as well as rum and some raisin as well. Another high quality blend from Milan. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: GBD, Il Ceppo, Ascorti

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Milan Tobacconists

Pops Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pops Pipe (17)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Italian Rum Cream Cake ! Thats the taste exactly. Its sweet, real sweet but good. I cant smoke it all the time but i do like it here and there. Another lady pleaser, women love this stuff ! If you are single you may not be for long smoking this, the aroma is awesome !

Similar Blends: Its the same as Sutliff Sunset Rum in fact its their bulk version..

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)

I really like this! A perfect morning smoke. Packs and burns well with few relights. The taste is one of the best out there, just enough rum flavor without overpowering the tobacco. The best rum aromatics I have smoked and one of the best aromatics out there.

Bruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bruck (27)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A very mild, sweet tobacco. Burned well despite being a bit moist at first. Took a while to get the flavors going, but once the burn was right, the tobacco flavors came out from under the toppings: Virginia, heavy Cavendish, hint of Burley. Overall a nice little aromatic.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: Retail

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This was a decent aromatic. Sort of reminded me of Captain Black white with rum. A lot of rum. The tin note is very boozey. No bite to this one and the room note is awesome.

Falcon Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Falcon Fan (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

It is rare that I take a single puff and say "that's the one" but I did with this. Love at first si....p. My wife got me 8 1oz samplers from Milan and two 2oz samples for my birthday in August, SR being one of the 2oz bags. Each of the 10 tobaccos is unbelievably good and I will be returning to Milan for more but this was the first to get finished by quite a margin. it is quite oily/sticky to handle so worth a paper towel at hand when filling the bowl, but from there on in, all is good. Milan seem to excel in creating smooth as silk tobaccos with zero bite or steam. This one combines that docile characteristic with a taste profile that is restrained, delicate but very more-ish and attractive. A great all day smoke that I suspect I will want to keep going back to.

Pipe Used: Falcon Straight Billiard

Purchased From: Milan Tobacconists

JCelsius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JCelsius (6)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Absolutely love the stuff. When I'm taking a break from the complexities of other blends and just want a straight forward good smoke, I reach for this. Absolutely wonderful to smoke.

The Persian Slipper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Persian Slipper (30)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is an excellent blend. I was actually suprised that I liked it as I usually don't enjoy alcohol based tobaccos. I received a few ounces of this for Chirstmas. I didn't hold much hope for it but I tried it anyway. Boy, was I delighted that I did try it! It packed easily and took very well to a match. The lovely vanilla/ rum flavor filled my pipe and my mouth. The taste stayed consistant and there was very little bite, only if I really abuse it. All in all a very recommended blend.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)

This is a very nice smoke. Read that tin note, because thats exactly what you'll get. Mild, mellow and very tasty with absolutly no bite in the bowl. IMHO what makes this tobacco special is the voluminous amount of smoke it prodoces while maintaining its mild and mellow nature. This is a fine aromatic tobacco !!!