A medium strength Burley ribbon, Turkish and Latakia blend that burns slowly with a soft taste. It is a forerunner of English type blends.

BrandMilan Tobacconists
Blended ByDavid Meyer
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish
Extremely Mild, Mild
KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have managed to sample nearly all of David Meyers' blends (at least those that have been available for the last month) within a short period of time. I have become a very big fan of his creations. My favorite had probably been the 401 up until this week when I began smoking Sheiks D. I had to keep telling myself to slow down on my puffing because the flavor was so delicious.

I detected a nutty flavor immediatly after the char. After a few minutes I noted a natural sweetness followed by a bouquet that I could not quite identify. I like Sultan,s from Milan as well, but I have to say that there is something in the mix of Sheik's that creates a nuttier and naturally sweet flavor. If you are a big fan of Latakia this is worth a try (though Sultan's has a bit more .. and Kings is loaded with it). However, if you are relatively new to English or are a VA smoker this is a great place to start as it gives a slight fruity background beneath the yummy-nutty-mmm-mmm (drool) flavor.

Update 3/31/11 Still like this blend. I'm taking out a star to make it a star as I may have been a tad over enthusiastic on my initial review. After more time, this blend is still really good, but 4 stars was a bit over the top.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (150)

Another great American/English from David Meyers. It burns beautifully to the bottom of the bowl. There is a slight sweetness on the finish, which lasts all the way down. The burley and turkish predominate, with the latakia in the background. I detect some perique in here, as there is a lovely spicy note throughout. David has a stronger version of this blend, called Sultan's, which ups the latakia content and slightly increases the sweetness, without the perique. For latakiaphiles, you'll probably enjoy Sultan's more. Sheik's Delight is a 4 star blend, in my opinion. One more point, is that there is no heavy aftertaste from the latakia, which is very appealing.

Feb.20/09 update: My enthusiasm for this blend has diminished. It's a good bulk, but not worthy of my original 4 star rating. Today I'd give it 2 stars.