BrandBoswell Pipes & Tobacco

2.7
Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (21)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Opening my 1 year and 7 month old jar of this blend revealed rich mahogany ribbons with some black flecks of Cavendish scattered evenly throughout. It was very loose to the touch with moderate amount of moisture, but not sticky, after being jarred 18 months ago. When I first opened the jar I got a nice spiced rum smell, and deeper sniffs brought vanilla Cavendish and chocolate to my nose.

An unlit sip produced a pronounced vanilla flavor from the topping, as did the initial light, and that flavor dominated throughout the smoke. Notes of brown sugar and cinnamon were also present, and I did detect a faint taste of apple on rare occasions. The finish was short on the palate, but the moustache note was one to savor. As I lay down to sleep at night it felt and smelled as if caramelized brown sugar was in my nose, these were very warming and sleepy sensations. It was almost like having a sleep inducing aromatherapy candle smoldering above my lip. According to Herself, the room note also had this caramelized brown sugar scent with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. She described like the smell of a warm bowl of seasoned oatmeal or a homemade pie crust cooling on the sill. It had her approval.

All in all, the odors of this blend are more pleasant to me than the taste. I really enjoyed the mustache note effect, and that it was a blend that was pleasant for others to smell. The taste didn't really do anything for me, and I had a tendency to burn this one hot if I wasn't paying attention. It did taste fair in a Savinelli 320 KS, so maybe a broader chamber bowl is in order to get the most out of this blend. I probably will not be ordering any more of this blend, though I wouldn't turn it down if it were gifted. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a nice vanilla aromatic with a crowd pleasing room note.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

If you're looking for a predominantly apple taste, you're looking in the wrong place. The apple taste is very mild, but it works well with the vanilla note. The Virginias are light and sweet, and plays off the flavoring rather nicely. Not much nicotine here or complexity; you're buying it solely for the sweet flavor. I believe the people who rate this low were expecting more than this blend is capable of giving, hence their disappointment. I think there are much better blends, but for an after dinner dessert smoke or a walk around the yard, it'd do. I'd rather give it two and half stars, but since I can't, I rate it three stars only because it deserves more than two. But in this price range, you can find more pleasing smokes.

Northern Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Northern Pipes (22)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As I'm moving through trying all the Boswell blends, I got to this one. This one is definitely not my favorite of their blends. The smoke itself wasn't unenjoyable, but the lack of flavour left a lot to be desired. I love Boswell's Best and Pipers Pleasure and think the flavouring packs a much more significant punch than this does. Also, the flavour and smell itself was not what I expected. I was expecting a hit of sweet spiciness like a cinnamon to accompany the apple, but this was all apple in my POV. I will most likely go back to this from time to time as it wasn't bad, just very light.

SGTMantis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SGTMantis (3)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I must have caught JMB's on a bad day or something. Along with this blend, I ordered two others and I must say that im very disappointed. The the first time I smoked this blend, I took a big sniff of the bag and was caught off guard by the blandness of the bag note. They described it as light, so I kept my mind open for the light up. Still nothing. This blend is almost not an aromatic, let alone flavored like "apple strudel". It wouldn't be so bad if it even had some type of tobacco taste. Instead I wonder if a pile of dried leaves would offer more. Wondering if I missed something, I tried it for the second time in a clean pipe. Still nothing. Don't be fooled by the name, there is nothing delicious about this blend. I cant recommend this to anyone when the market has so much more to offer.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

when first lighted overwheeming flavor of vanilla and grilled applepeels with the virgin or some tobbacco taste with a apple omi taste. Very smooth dont try to smoke too fast or it will be too much for your palate ,def. a must have in your jar or circulation collection.

FTF13 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FTF13 (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My favorite from Boswell's---- nice & mellow smoke without all the overpowering sweetness. Stays lit and has a very relaxed & light enjoyable apple tart tatse. This is a all day smoke that is just pure awesome. The Virginia tastes great with the perfect balance of sweetness that is dead on.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

1st Smoke: Similar to most Boswell aromatics. Ribbon cut, easy to pack, good moisture level, and no tongue bite. Unlike other Boswell blends I've had though, the casing on this baccy was extremely hard to detect. A very bland blend. I would describe it as blah. 2nd Smoke: Packed up a bowl load in my Mario Grandi poker. I still can't detect any apple casing. It has a very mild vanilla taste to it, and when I say mild, I mean hardly detectable. However, it does produce a nice thick white smoke. Lights well, burns well, and produces a nice gray ash. Its also a rather cool smoke, my pipe never gets overly hot. Ill say this for the blend, I enjoy smoking it, I just don't care for the flavor. When Im in the mood for an aromatic, I want something tasty, big flavors are what satisfy. This blend of tobaccos does not meet that requirement for me. 3rd Smoke: OK, third try in my Bjarne bulldog, and Im still not loving it. This is just a bland blend that does nothing for me. As much as it kills me to say it, this may be the first boswell blend that I rate a failure. The quality of the tobacco is somewhat a saving grace. Smokes, burns, and finishes well. The flavors just aren't there though. A baccy that I will most likely never smoke again. Conclusion: Boswell has much better blends to experience. I would avoid this one like the plague and try a Raspberry Cream or Northwoods. I guess you can't win them all.

PipeHaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeHaze (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I think the description fits the blend well. It is mild but it doesn't claim to to be apple pie in a pipe. It's a tasty blend with great balance of both tobacco and casing flavor. Topping is very light and I notice more vanilla than apple. The flavor is more like a tart/sweet apple and not that of any apple pastry when you do get hints of the apple. Seems to burn a bit warmer if your not careful. I do notice a bit more nicotine though than I'm used to. Goes well with a cup of coffee and I bet it would be nice on a fall evening outside in the cool air. Packs & lights well and smokes dry...all that good stuff. This is a blend that does seem to get better after a week or two. The flavors meld together, it smooths out and doesn't burn as hot. Like most of the Boswell aromatics, it's a nice blend and it's a great smoking experience. I do like to have this around once in a while and it's a blend that tends to grow on me. Give it a try, I did bascially to see what Virgina blends were all about.

3 Stars and recommended based on quality tobacco. It comes off as a nicely balanced light aromatic. Very well behaved, enjoyable and sort of a "refined" blend.

On the rare occasion that I am in the mood for an aromatic, I often find myself turning to Boswells as they are highly rated for their aromatics with good reason. I agree with other reviewers in tht is is not overly sweet and the apple/vanilla flavor is mild. This may be the reason why I enjoy it. Its not goopy. I have a churchwarden that I find works well for sipping this blend. A nice gentle aromatic for our cool New Enland fall evenings. Recommended.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I find it fishy that all of Boswell's aromatics seem to smell more or less the same out of the bag. Apple Strudel is probably the best Boswell aromatic I've tried, but I don't consider that to be saying all that much--I had high hopes for the stuff but have been underwhelmed by the 'baccy. As far as I can tell, their aromatics are a bunch of toppings on average tobacco. Sad, sad state of the briar these days in North America. That said, Apple Strudel is kinda tasty. You can pick up some flavors of apple and vanilla about halfway through. Room note is good, but I guess you can make almost anything smell good if you pour enough syrups and toppings on it.

alleycat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alleycat (5)

I agree with most of the other less than positive reviewers. This was a let-down for me as well. There is not much apple flavor (either in the bag or while smoking it), it burns hot, and can bite. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, it's sold as Apple Strudel. I almost think it has a little Latakia in it, although it's not mentioned in the product description.

I really had high hope for this one, but I'll continue my search for a good apple blend. I can't really even give it two stars for claiming to be an apple blend.

john1179 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john1179 (10)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A VERY BORING BLEND! NO FLAVOR, NO AROMA, NOT MUCH TO SAY HERE! WAS EXPECTING MORE, BUT ALL TOGETHER NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT. A VERY FORGETABLE FLAVOR.

Matt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Matt (14)

I come back to this blend every once in a while. What the previous poster said is true. This blend has a light apple and vanilla taste to it. Very flavorful if your looking for a light aromatic with good tobacco taste to it. Burns well.

YoungSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
YoungSmoke (24)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

"A rich Virgina Tobacco with a very very light Apple Vanilla Topping. A serious blend with a very mild aroma and a rich Virgina Flavor."

I think this is blend is just as it is described. I found the flavor smooth and mellow with a fuller tobacco taste and less casing flavor. The apple and vanilla were there but very mild and more vanilla than apple at that. It's not as sweet or as full as other Boswell aromatics and I taste mostly the tobacco. The apple flavor is more like a ripe apple than any apple pastry, but it's not claiming to taste like apple pie. Burns a bit warmer than others I think (if you let it), but no real bite, and it's a dry smoke.

This is one of the few blends that I've noticed a little time made better. This one actually became richer tasting after a week or two once I recieved my Boswell order. Goes well with a cup of morning coffee. I do notice a bit more nicotine than I'm used to. Not something I have to have around, but it's good every now and then. It's actually called Apple Strudel for those looking to order some up.

pipe dream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dream (11)

i smoked this blend when received,then two weeks later. it improved greatly. a pleasant,very flavorful blend with no bite. the slower you smoke the better it will taste.this is one i will keep on hand.

reckoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reckoner (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Also called "Apple Strudel". This particular blend was a scorcher for me. No matter how slowly I smoked it or let it dry out, it was pretty stubborn in allowing a nice, cool smoke. Tried it in both a briar and a cob. Same result. Another disappointing factor: where's the apple? I was looking forward to the name pretty much summing up the flavor (like their Berry Cobbler), but I got a small hint of apple every now and then. There was a nice vanilla overtone, but I was expecting more.

The flavor and room note is nice, but it wasn't worth burning my tongue to get it.

Dunkel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dunkel (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This was a let down. It had the right moisture to just pack and smoke. It burned a little hot and bit some. The apple and vanilla were barely detectable in flavor or room note. This really wasn't anyhting special.It required 2 or 3 relights. I'll let this sit around for 6 months or so and try it again. Maybe time will fix what's broken.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)

Not as sweet as most of Boswells Blends. A good quality Virgina leaf with dark tobacco spects topped with a very very slight Apple Vanila topping. packs very easy stays lit with one match. Leaves a clean white ash. A must for the Virgina smoker. A good mild all day smoke with a slight change of pace. THis is a good belnd for spring and summer. As with all Boswell blends. They are made fresh day of order. It would be highly recomended to let these blends sit in your humidor drawer for a few weeeks. I recently pulled ot a bag that I tucked away back in Demcember. And today it is an outstanding blend. A suttle aramoatic with a good Virgina leaf. No bite stays lit easily and is even better after sitting in your pocket and relighting. This blend is sure to please all.