Blended to accompany New Zealand's famous red wines, these meaty slices rub out easily to facilitate filling. Matured Virginias with Burley and a touch of Perique. An added essence gives Lamb Cake Slices it's rich and satisfying character. Add some Lamb to your line up.

Notes: Contains real lamb juice and a hint of mint.

BrandKane's of New Zealand
Blended ByRutheford G. MacGillicuddy
ContentsBurley, Virginia, Perique
FlavoringMint
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Overwhelming
2.7
BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I am in full agreement with the previous review regarding the difference in this and the original blend. Also, this version needs some serious drying prior to being pipe ready. I usually smoke it after some stoving by spreading the flakes on a cookie sheet and placing in the oven at 450° for 30 to 45 minutes.

The taste is predominantly Virginia with a hint of mutton. Only at mid bowl does the mint start to make it's appearance. There will be dottle in the bowl to some degree, but the stoving lessens the amount.

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)
Strong Very Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

IMO, pure rubbish, FTL. Utterly unpalatable and nauseating, with all the subtlety of a hoof to the head. I smoked this in a gorgeous S. Bang 7/64 bent zulu that is now fit only to be a chew-toy for my blue heeler.

IMHO, a much better pick for lovers of lamb (settle down, denizens of College Station, TX, not that kind of love) would definitely be Galafianakis' Gyros Flake, a masterful Balkan blend which beautifully balances several high-grade orientals (Katerini, Xanthi, Shawarma, etc.) with the drippings of succulent spit-roasted lamb and a delicate top-dressing of Tzatziki and cucumber. IMHBAO, a much more sophisticated blend.

Recommended.

Not.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Strong Strong Full Strong

Good stuff, but you can't smoke it unless you dry it out quite a bit. The oven method works quite well. Then depending on the cut (which you actually have to do yourself) you can get quite a bit into a good sized bowl. Then, depending on how long you keep a flame on it, you can get billows of savory smoke. Quite a full flavor here...the mint is way in the background. Mom used to buy this regularly, and everyone in the family loved it, sitting around the old kitchen table, smiling their way through their bowls. What memories! Now, my wife won't have it in the house. Doesn't like the flavor OR the aroma I guess - plus she used to raise it herself and it breaks her heart to see it smoked. I'll give you all a good tip - take a whole clove of garlic and stuff in right in your bowl before lighting...or better yet, add the garlic before that oven heating thing. It may sound crazy, but it really, really works!

Geoff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geoff (1)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

This tobacco is fine when young but a bit of age brings out a mutton or hogget flavour which can be unpleasant to some.

The tin I had must have been from the rear end of the days production run as it was rather daggy when rubbed out.

Bruce and Trev who work at Kanes say there could be a redneck version coming out soon called two tooth this has yet to be confirmed.

Not a tobacco I shall try again Dunghills Dingo Flake is a much better tobacco in my opinion.

Below is a link to an article about the happy little sheep on their way to to be tinned. http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/03/1080941724083.html

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (75)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I purchased this in bulk so YMMV, you'll have to use a sharp knife if you purchase Kane's before it has been tinned. Wow this was very hard to obtain, actually extremely difficult. Once I got him in my house I attempted to rub it out to no avail. Much like Dark Star I rubbed and rubbed but after all that rubbing you would think it got smaller but no, it grew like pinnochio's nose. Yes it bites and gave me cotton mouth. This is not an indoor or all day blend, it and I got tired of eachother and the room aroma was of barn and hoof, the wife was not pleased as I attempted to put a light to it in bed... They say never look a gift horse or in this case lamb in the mouth but honestly the other end wasn't pretty either... Maybe next years batch will be more behaved or a little more age on this years will "tame the beast"

Pipe Used: Griddle, Charcoal Grill

Purchased From: Kane's of New Zealand

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (50)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

This contains some of the largest percentages of Auckland latakia I've ever encountered. Made in the traditional way in the peasant homes of rural Auckland it takes on the smokey flavour of sheep dung used for domestic fires. For those lamenting the absence of genuine Syrian latakia, this is the answer.

The casing of lamb and mint is to my mind overdone. I agree with other reviewers who say that aged versions of this resemble mutton or hogget and are best avoided.

Produces large volumes of fluffy white smoke and will bite if pushed too hard.

Pipe Used: Extra large calabash

Similar Blends: Ovarian's Ashkan Mixture.

Stationmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stationmaster (7)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I know its poor form to review a tobacco that you haven't tried but stiff. Back in the early 70?s Mum and Dad used to take us kids to visit Nanna and Pa out in the Yarra Valley of Victoria, Australia. It was the bush back then. Dry sheep paddocks, horses, worn out ute?s and tractors, left where they stopped, and outside dunnies. All 6 crammed in a Morris Major and a seat belt was what you got if you played up. I remember Pa couldn?t see too well and he accidently cracked open a tin of Ham thinking it was his Kane?s lamb slices. He sliced off a chunk, as usual, muttered expletives as he rubbed it out, as usual. It took him about 5 minutes to get it burning right in his Barnsbury billiard, which was basically a Dunhill 35 shell knockoff. Amazingly the room note was very similar to what we were used to and as described in the reviews below, but maybe slightly richer and no minty background. He seemed quite happy until he got to the dottle which promptly caught fire. He stuck mostly to Erinmore mix after this, as you can only mistake that tin for boot polish, which is another story. I can only go on childhood memories as you can?t get this tobacco for love or money, old blend or new, even this close to our cousins across the ditch (choice Bro?s). I?ll keep an eye on eBay and if I?m lucky I?ll update this review. Whenever I smell an unattended BBQ I think of old Jim and his Kane?s lamb slices. Maybe I?m being foolish, but tonight I might thinly slice some Spam, dry it and add some mint flakes and----------------I?ve got to go. I?m getting all teary.

butter_side_down Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butter_side_down (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Strong

Well, I'm going to have to be the voice of dissent. Aside from the tin aroma, this bears little resemblence to the original MacGillicuddy blend, which was heavenly. I would hazard a guess that Kane's is substituting Cavendish for the Virginia, as there is quite a bit more sweetness than I recall. The mint flavoring is also suspect. The original contained actual mint leaves, aged and kiln dried. The mint in the Kane's recreation tastes very much as if it came out of the same artificial flavoring bottle used to make mint chocolate chip ice cream... not that that's a bad thing per se. This is smokable, and even enjoyable to a certain degree. Admittedly, they did do a fair job of approximating the unusual "lambish-ness" present in the original, but if you're hoping to faithfully recapture the singular experience of MacGillicuddy's Lamb Cake Slices, you will undoubtedly be somewhat disappointed with Kane's version. Sadly, if you are a devotee of that blend, this is the closest you're going to get, so close enough has to do. Oh, and I almost forgot... you might want to smoke this in a cob as it will ghost the heck out of a briar.

Mundungus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mundungus (7)
Strong Strong Very Full Extra Strong

I was excited to find that both A. Wolff?s and M. Haddaugh Little?s carries this blend here in the States. My wife found the room note so severe (pace the other reviewers) that she sent me packing out of the house with a ?if you?re going to smoak that stuff, go out in the pasture!? Being a regular reader of the reviews on this site, I am amazed at how widely varied opinions are as to this blend?s strength. My hypothesis is that aging will mellow this stuff remarkably--I?ve bought a few extra pounds to age in the freezer. Aging should also eliminate the ?springy? packing I?ve experienced?it practically jumps out of the bowl (the air-pocket method helped a bit with this). When I opened the can it was very, very moist. The "ketchup" smell of McClelland's is nothing compared to this stuff. A few hours at 325 degrees fahrenheit in the oven brought mine down to the correct moisture level, although to me it still has a bit of a ?wooly? taste. I don?t know that I?ll put this in my regular rotation, but like some of the other pipemen, it just feels right to be smoaking this stuff in the spring. UPDATE: I've sent a photo of the tin which should appear soon (?)--it actually comes in 200g cans & carries the Kosher symbol--perfect for those about to begin Passover this weekend!

Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Quite unique drugstore blend. I cellared some and it doesn't age well, as the lamb flavor developed into a mutton taste, with some notes of goat.

I can't taste no Perique here, but some Kentucky and a hint of cigar leaf. The mint is hardly noticed, but some pineapple that reminds of Erinmore and some EMP-like chicken taste.

Best enjoyed during meals.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

4 April 2008: It surprises me that pipe smokers around the world haven't cottoned on Lamb Cake Slices before now. Although it is one of the world's rarest (excuse the pun) tobaccos outside of New Zealand, it is well worth the effort of tracking down.

Initially I was hesitant to try a tobacco that was cased in real lamb juice, but the tin aroma is amazing, like the Sunday roasts of my childhood. While packing my pipe I actually tried chewing a flake and yes, this stuff IS good enough to eat. All the flavour with none of the calories.

The subtle lamb roast and mint flavouring comes though from the charring light and is backed up by wonderful Virginia sweetness with surprisingly little bite. A very hearty and satisfying smoak that goes well with a glass of red.

The only downside is when I'm smoaking this stuff, the dog won't leave me alone.

Now, if Kanes can come up with an Apple Pie Slices for afters, I'll be set.

UPDATE 11 April 2008: For those who've had trouble tracking down Lamb Cake Slices, Shepherds Pipes (http://www.shepherdspipes.com) has it in bulk for $15.99 per pound. What's more, they'll throw in a free Kane's Lamb Cake Slices pipe knife with every five pound internet order. Now that's a baa...gain.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (167)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am told - I do not know - that there is a comparable French blend, in which the agneau is pre-sale from Bordeaux, and there is the barest touch - juste une larme, messieurs - of a Premiere Grand Cru.

Stuart Rankin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuart Rankin (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I was fortunate enough to come across this in bulk, so I bought a half-pound to smoke right away, and had the other half-pound freezer wrapped. I found it was very difficult to rub out, and in the end used the coffee grinder method. The taste was fine and meaty as others have noted, with a minty aftertaste, (think menthol cigarette). Unfortunately I was interrupted by animal rights activists going door to door. When I invited them in, they commented on the delicious room note - I didn't have the heart to tell them what it was. A word of warning - if you choose to DGT this, be sure to refrigerate because it starts to develop a funk after only a few hours at room temperature.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Frankly, I was curious about this and once tried it found it to be too close to Royal Yacht, which is not made with lamb juice but Yak juice - hence the real name Royal Yak.

Jay

English Bulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
English Bulldog (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I came across a tin of this tucked away in the chiller at my local supermarket, pleasantly surprised I added it to my trolley. Upon opening the tin at home I was greeted with s smell akin to a lamb roast- mint sauce and all!

The slices in my tin were rather fatty, so I assume a wether must have gotten into the mix somehow, be that as it may it gave the flakes a superb burning characteristic. All in all highly recommended, no need for dindins after a bowl of this, although perhaps some roast potatoes and peas on the side would add to the enjoyment of this particular blend.

(As another reviewer noted DGT is best avoided especially in warmer climes)

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I have to say that this tobacco is one of the hardest to get hold of that I have ever come across. By the time I had got my hands on it I was almost so out of breath that the thought of actually smoking it kind of put me off. Not only that, but as I like to smoke the original, just cramming it in the bowl is practically impossible. I use a Group 26 bowl which has a special floor stand to take the extra weight.

I must say that I found the tobacco resisted all attempts to feed it Virginia or Burley or Perique...though it liked Ryegrass and to be honest I don't think the flavour suffered too much.

I'd give it 4 stars but for the continuous plaintive bleating.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

A kiwi friend of mine brought me a tin of this back after visiting the homeland recently. Everyone should be so lucky to have such a great friend.

My greasy hands were trembling in anticipation as I popped the top on the tin. The tobacco was moist to the touch with just a bit of coarse white hair mixed in. Lambs wool? I dunno. Anyway, I fired it up and first impressions were it was a bit minty. The wool-like stuff definitely improved the burn as it was easy to keep lit. About a third of the way down the bowl the mint taste settled down and now a deep meaty taste developed that would only increase, eventually tasting a bit like carmelized meat on the grill. Surely this is what burnt sacrifices were like in biblical times and so the whole experience was just heavenly!

Incidentally, unlike Pagercat's experience, my tin contained no "beige water-like substance" in the tin.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Strong

The first thing I noticed upon opening the tin was the mint. Truly a testament to the master blender's use of a restrained hand. I also detected something else in the scent...similar to the McClelland "ketchup" smell but this was more like KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Spicy goodness!

The moisture content was more than I am used to as the slices seemed wet. Once I removed a couple of the slices I saw that the cause of the excess moisture was the beige water-like substance pooled at the bottom of the tin. This is more than likely the lamb juice. What a grand presentation!

The flakes are easy to compress and fill the pipe with. I used some of the juice to put on the top of the bowl for "kindling". At first match the lamb introduced itself (its name was "Lambchop") and soon the mint joined in. The room note was pleasant and my wife commented that she kept thinking it was Easter Sunday. This is definitely not your drugstore variety, but very top shelf USDA Grade-A lamb!

The bowl ended in a small pile of grey ash with no dottle or bone fragments. Very nice smoke but certainly not an all-day as I was too full after smoking one pipe that I skipped dinner and went to bed.

On a side note, I understand that Greg Pease is working on a lamb blend as well but his will incorporate Cyprian Latakia, some dark rum, Latakia and more Latakia. It is to be the first in the new "Muttons and Maidens" series.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend reminded me in some ways of Tyson's Gobbler Cake, which is made from pressed Virginia, Burley and cased in turkey pan drippings with a hint of cranberry added. It was a special edition blend made available throughout the holiday season in 1990 and I still have a couple of tins left.

As for Lamb Cake Slices, the mint seemed to stay in the background while the Virginia and Perique did most of the talking. Smoking it provided little in the way of tongue bite but much like the above mentioned blend, it gave me the strange urge to take a nap afterwards.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Pipestud and I rarely agree on blend ratings, but this one is different. Maybe it is nostalgia or just the surprise that Lamb Cake is again available, but I am sure happy to have this again after being so long denied.

I am baffled that I missed this in the Kane's catalog. I have been mail ordering their famous dip for more than a decade. Cheeky monkeys to not widely announce their chief triumph's return.

I would recommend ordering this in the Spring, as the flavor just seems milder to me than at other times of the year. It is sold by the pound, of course.

Bon Appetite!

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Strong

Lamb Slices is indeed an oddity, something every menthol smoker might enjoy, particularly if one felt compelled to abandon their cigarettes. For me, the mint is the most prominent component, similar to deer's tongue, which some can grow to detest. If Lamb Slices can take off, like it so deserves, perhaps we will be awarded with more blends that incorporate mint into their constitution. I think many agree that would be a good thing, a way to diversify the already wide choices available to us as pipe smokers.

I confess that my only experience with Lamb Slices was a single tin back in the seventies, and I have not tried the reincarnation that has since been brought back from the dead after the events Pipestud has thoroughly documented. I suppose this means I'll have to put in an order with Kane's for a sampling of the new batch, though I question whether it is truly possible that they could so faithfully emulate the essence of lamb as the original.

Good tobacco? Yes. Original? Definitely. How's the taste? A bit gamy.

Four Stars

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, I enjoyed some of this for my Easter supper, and it was absolutely delicious. A delightful spring treat for the quick witted pipester. The mildness of the flavor is such, that you may wonder if you are really smoking at all...

For a fuller, richer experience try the same blender's Mutton Cake Slices...;)

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (65)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

I hardly detect any flavoring at all.

I far prefer Gravy Flake - much saltier and just a lot more satisfying.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (78)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I must admit that I did not want to smoke this. This is THE perfect blend if you need nicotine and nourishment. Can you imagine satisfying both nicotine craving and hunger in one go? How convenient is that?

The taste is fantastic and when I smoke this I usually have a nice garnish to the top of the tobacco, I find some coriander works best. To me the taste really reminds me of having a nice juicy chop and I noticed more teeth marks on the mouthpiece of my pipe. I obviously did not know this and my wife brought to my attention that I was in fact chewing on my pipe.

The only problem I have is that this blend has to be smoked indoors. The reason for that is that the neighbourhood dogs can get really persistant when they get a whiff of this delicious blend. The other day I was smoking this while driving, when I got to the end of the street, there were tens of dogs chasing my car. There was a petite young lady walking her St Barnard that was not impressed at all since the pooch pulled her along. Weird

Do not smoke this while out in the bush somewhere, I am sure Lions will follow the scent

Thanks you Pipestud

Mo, South Africa

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have a friend from New Zealand who's name, coincidentally, is Kane. Must be a popular name there. Anyway he sent me a sample of this luscious blend and for that, I am grateful.

The base tobaccos here are top quality and, surprisingly, not at all overpowered by the ladled on topping. I admit I was afraid to try this at first knowing that it 'contains real lamb juice` (just what is Lamb Juice?) but I'm glad I did. The sweet gamey flavor compliments the leaf nicely. It could use a nic boost, but hey nothing's perfect, eh? I also recommend adding 5% crushed mint leaf. Leg of lamb in a pipe. Perfect! (almost)

p.s. I'd like to thank Pipestud for the historical information. Nearly brought a tear to my eye to think this great smoke could be lost forever.

Mild Very Strong Very Full Pleasant

It has been quite some time since I last tried a tin of a Kane's of New Zealand tobacco. I was delighted when I recently discovered that their signature blend, Lamb Cake Slices, is back in production. The MacGillicuddy recipe for Lamb Cake had been lost years ago in a barbecue pit when heirs of Rutherford G. MacGillicuddy were having a family reunion by roasting lamb chops. From what I understand, it was an annual family tradition to work up a batch of Lamb Cake Slices in the same pit that Rutherford used to make this tasty blend. While putting together the ingredients, a strong wind blew the recipe out of the hands of a granddaughter right into the fire. My tobacconist tells me that after more than 20 years of trying to recreate the original, a great grandson was able to reconstruct the components to perfection.

What makes Lamb Cake Slices so unique is, of course, the casing sprayed liberally on the Old Belt Kentucky leaf which is then mixed with quality Virginia and Perique before being pressed into cakes. I remember how cautious I was in trying my first bowl after learning that the topping used was actually freeze dried leg of lamb (roasted and triple basted), that had been crushed and sprinkled throughout the tobacco. Once I finally lit up, I was glad I did!

Lamb Cake Slices is a very mild combination with a very strong essence of lamb taste. The combination somehow works as the smoker detects a meaty taste throughout the bowl. It does stay lit well and burned evenly down to a clean, snow white ash. Highly recommended!

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

"Pipestud"

Is this another one of you're April Fools Joke's???

Gae.I live in Australia,close to new Zealand,and no one has even heard of it!!!