Natural, clean smoking matured Virginia, lightly sweet, more fruity than nutty, not really sharp but a little tangy and pleasant to the tongue (like a mild salsa). We cut it in ribbon form for easy blending. The finest flue cured Virginias fill the mouth with flavor as they are smoked, as if ripening or cooking right there in the bowl.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I had to try this one straight out of the tin first. It was very mild, yet had a nip to it. Not very sweet and bland in taste. I then mixed it 50/50 with Five Brothers and let the combination sit for 24 hours.... Now we're talking! This Pipestud version of Half & Half packed some punch and settled the raw Virginia taste.

I suppose this one would work well with other blends as it won't add a great deal to the taste (other than noticiable Virginia leaf), and won't smother other tobacco flavors.

Not recommended by itself, but indeed a good blending agent for you do it yourselfers.

A little lighter in both color and tin aroma than the Contest Blend I just reviewed, this turns extremely grassy in aroma over time. I've been blending with this one for awhile but hadn't reviewed here yet. Nice ribbon cut and very easy to work with.

As a straight smoke, this isn't terribly exciting. The 3 Virginias are of almost equal measure, with the red being ever so slightly more dominant. And that is, I think, the point. This is designed to be blended with other ingredients, and like a good base tobacco, it doesn't get in the way - it merely adds a foundation but one with just enough zip to it to help out the blend. I've used various Turkish tobaccos, perique, latakia, burley (burley has a way of interacting with this so as to make both tobaccos more flavorful) and this is the finest blender I've tried. If I want a stronger Virginia flavor, I use something else. If I'm more focused on the condiments, this is absolutely perfect. 2.5 stars as a straight smoke, off the charts as a blender. It literally made everything surrounding it better. I expect nothing less from the King of Virginia tobacco. If you're an amateur blender, you can't afford to be without this.

The Virginias are slightly citrusy, a little tangy (from the red Va.), and has a fair amount of grass and some earthy sweetness. It's okay as a straight smoke if you want to do something undemanding while you're puffing on it. As a mixer, it doesn't have enough "ompf" to do much to a blend, unless the other components are stronger. Has a mild nic-hit. Burns at a reasonable pace.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

I think SirLoirn below summed it up pretty well... I never tried mixing this and really don't care to. I enjoy this When I want just a simple, straight, lightly-tangy virginia that's not going to knock me over. At times It'll be my morning pipe with my second or third cuppa java... Happy Smoking