As the name suggest a mellow cool smoking tobacco blended from old belt air cured Virginia Flake with a very discreet Mahogany flavour but we have had reports of a creamy almond flavour. The flavour is discreet as a background flavour for those who don’t like an overly sweet tobacco but is predominant enough to give a pleasing room note for the non smokers.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Very Mild, Mild
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (57)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's been over a decade since I've had but a few tins of Mahogany Flake, so comparisons are, by necessity, vague and of little value. Suffice to say that upon opening a fresh pouch Mellow Mahogany, it stirred recollections...if there was no name on the pouch, would I have thought "Mahogany"?

This comes as a broken flake. Which means a fistful of flake was folded over and stuffed in the pouch: some of it got broken. Along with the Mahogany aroma was the (in)famous Lakeland scent as well; which some adore and others abhor. I don't mind it as a change of pace, but a couple of ounces and I'm ready to move on.

The tobacco and aromatic agents were fairly evenly matched throughout each bowl. And smooth! Excepting their ropes, I've always found the GH flakes and mixtures to have a velvety mouth feel; so it is here.

Two stars for two reasons. It is very much a Lakeland flake, so there's that. But I find that my tolerance is diminishing, to the point of non-existence, for the following: why is it considered acceptable to supply a product that is unsmokable as sold!? The flake, as purchased, was so moist that it needed over a day in the open to be usable.

When I open a pouch or tin of a Mac Baren or Orlik tobacco, I can be reasonably confident that even if it's not at my preferred level of humidity, I can have a smoke. That's not likely to be the case with a GH flake and S.Gawith flakes can be almost wringing wet. I'm tired of paying almost twenty dollars per ounce of water! I recall seeing (on ebay?) an ancient empty pound tin for St.Bruno's Flake that actually had factory supplied holes to allow the moisture to be reduced! Some old traditions deserve to fade away...

Pipe Used: Falcon, Peterson system

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

GH have now started merchandising this in 50g packs here in the UK. This is predominently air-cured old belt virgnia in flake form. It rubs out easily, holds the charing light although, it's a little high on moisture content and benefits from a little advance drying.

This, I believe, is GH 'Mahogany' (tinned version), but milder and more mellow; the casing however, reminds me of 'Ennerdale' although it's less harsh and less pronounced. There is a wonderful natural sweetness through the smoke and it burns cool with no tongue bite.

As a general rule I do not like heavily cased tobaccos, so 'Ennerdale' is a 'bridge too far for me', but I do like this offering; the casing is a background - you know it's there, but it never steps forward to overpower the smoke - this tobacco would change my mind about cased tobaccos - generally. The room note is the same as 'Mahogany' if not better and it is very pleasant indeed.

There is a creamy nature to the smoke as it develops through the bowl that reminds me a little of MacBaren Navy Flake, but this is a far superior smoke.

Sorry people! I just completed this review only to realise that 'Mahogany' (my comparison reference) is not listed under GH on the website - I will request 'Mahogany' and do a review for cross-reference purposes.