As the name suggest a mellow cool smoking tobacco blended from old belt air cured Virginia Flake with a very discreet Mahogany flavour but we have had reports of a creamy almond flavour. The flavour is discreet as a background flavour for those who don’t like an overly sweet tobacco but is predominant enough to give a pleasing room note for the non smokers.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia Based
Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

GH have now started merchandising this in 50g packs here in the UK. This is predominently air-cured old belt virgnia in flake form. It rubs out easily, holds the charing light although, it's a little high on moisture content and benefits from a little advance drying.

This, I believe, is GH 'Mahogany' (tinned version), but milder and more mellow; the casing however, reminds me of 'Ennerdale' although it's less harsh and less pronounced. There is a wonderful natural sweetness through the smoke and it burns cool with no tongue bite.

As a general rule I do not like heavily cased tobaccos, so 'Ennerdale' is a 'bridge too far for me', but I do like this offering; the casing is a background - you know it's there, but it never steps forward to overpower the smoke - this tobacco would change my mind about cased tobaccos - generally. The room note is the same as 'Mahogany' if not better and it is very pleasant indeed.

There is a creamy nature to the smoke as it develops through the bowl that reminds me a little of MacBaren Navy Flake, but this is a far superior smoke.

Sorry people! I just completed this review only to realise that 'Mahogany' (my comparison reference) is not listed under GH on the website - I will request 'Mahogany' and do a review for cross-reference purposes.