Back when Istanbul was Constantinople, Izmir tobacco was Smyrna. "A rose by any other name..." These tiny, top-grade tobacco leaves from mountainous Western Turkey across from the Island of Khlos have long been prized as the most aromatic of all Orientals. They grown dense and extremely fragrant in this dry country moistened by Mediterranean Sea breezes.

Look for a whole Smyrna leaf on top of the tobacco when you open the tin. Notice the tiny hole where it was string up by hand to air cure in a time-honored , labor-intensive process. There is no Latakia in this blend. Smyrna is the defining ingredient in this sophisticated Oriental tobacco. Our intention here is to spotlight the character of this extraordinary, delicate leaf.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50 grams tin, 100 grams tin
Strength
Taste

Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the template for sweet, light and spicy Oriental leaf. John Cottons made Smyrna leaf famous many years ago. While often imitated (sometimes somewhat successfully), I've never found anything quite like it... until I tried this McClelland's Grand Oriental Smyrna #1.

It is absolutely delightful. Although lacking in the strength that I normally gravitate toward, the flavor was delicious and slow puffing brought about a palate pleasing smoke.

Easy on the tongue, easy to load, light and keep lit, my puffer meter is pegged!

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been holding off on this review for a bit because I almost expected myself to get tired of this blend but I haven't and find myself wanting to smoke it more and more. In the past anything that had a large percentage of orientals just did not sit right with my mouth and throat. I particularly remember Red Rapparee and how acrid the orientals were and they just seemed to hit me right in the back of the throat. I had almost given up on oriental leaves and figured they weren't for me. Boy was I wrong.

Enter Smyrna No. 1. To this point in my pipe smoking I have not found a blend that I really liked in a meerschaum. Smyrna No. 1 changed that as well. It is absolute perfection when smoked in meerschaum. The Smyrna leaves are brought to the fore front and the virginia base provides a rock solid altar on which the Izmir (Smyrna) leaves are offered to God in thanksgiving for this blend.

I have a sensitive tongue and I think that is why burley and English blends find their way into most of my pipes. This blend is quite easy on my tongue despite the Virginia and Smyrna. I certainly have to take it slow but even a faster puffing rate didn't hurt me much at all. I liked the Virginias so much that I'm actually looking at McC Virginia blends to find something I like.

In any case the taste notes are as follows: There is a sweetness to the Virginia that is certainly not overpowering but it is evident. The Virginias add body and provide a great back drop for the Smyrna. With the Smyrna I detect hints of cinnamon along with a mild spiciness and other warm spice notes I can only liken to mulled cider. It honestly reminds me of Christmas spices if that makes any sense.

When all is said and done I truly enjoy this blend and it has given me renewed hope in finding some wonderful Virginia/Oriental mixtures. I think the McC Grand Oriental line has hit a home run and I'll continue my quest through their other Grand Oriental offerings.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit, I don't find this either sweet or spicy. I can agree to calling it 'earthy' and I can see why those who don't care for the taste 'musty.' It is an interesting change of pace, and in briars the earthiness comes out nicely. In a cob, it smokes more like a straight VA for me, which rather negates the reasons for smoking it. Unless my tastes veer more towards this direction, I probably wouldn't rebuy it.

Pipe Used: briars & a cob

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Call me easily amused, but I think it's way cool to pop a tin of tobacco and find two full leaves on top! I found this to be a mild, spicy blend with delicate but noticeable flavor. I did not find this to be full flavored at all, as many of the reviewers did. Instead I found it subtle, with nuance upon nuance, and very complex. I liked the roasted nuts comparison, and I agree.

Again, this McClellands Grand Oriental is worth trying but I did not find enough here to bring me back to it. Still, I think it's a marvelous achievement for McClellands and I suspect it will have its share of devotees. The Classic Samsum is probably the only one of the series I will smoke regularly.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A very mild tobacco blend. I like the marketing, change Izmir to Smyrna and throw a leaf on top. Frank Purdue successfully differentiated chicken and McClelland has done a brilliant job differentiating Smyrna from Izmir (the same). The leaf on top of the tin was a nice touch. Tin note is all VA. I get some grassy and sweet notes but I cannot detect the Orientals in the tin, perhaps because the McKetchup smell masks them (although the ketchup smell is much lighter than others) Flavor is mild and the ketchup smell translates into the smoke for the first 1/3 of the bowl (most McC VA's do not do that with me, I usually smell it but can't taste it). The first third is VA forward with the aforementioned flavor with nice spicy background. It starts our creamy and sweet but as you get further down the bowl the creaminess dissipates and is replaced by toasty, spicy Orientals with some grassy sweet VA's fading to the background. Not much in the way of sour notes from the Smyrna, subtly spicy like white pepper on a toasted bagel. Burns very well with few relights. Not a very strong flavored smoke but a nice subtle and spicy smoke. I found it best in the morning with some coffee.

Pipe Used: briars

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Presentation is medium to light brown ribbon with, as advertised, a pair of delicate leaves, pierced, and sitting on top. Tin note is initially pungent, and a stir with the index finger brings herbal and vegetal notes with a hint of chocolate. The leaves themselves have little in the way of aroma, but add a very nice touch to the tin presentation.

The charring light delivers a hit of sweet chocolate that quickly gives way to a spicier and ashier flavor with an herbal backdrop. Plenty of gray and white smoke with a mouthfeel I associate with old European cigarettes - not sheet tobacco, mind you, but rather a good old fashioned cigarette made of real oriental tobacco: think Gauloises, not Marlboro. There's a sharpness and ashiness here in the true light that is by no means unpleasant, and just a touch of sweet Virginia in the background.

After a bit the sharpness mellows and Smyrna No.1 settles into a balance of herbal notes and sharper spices with that subtle chocolatey sweetness always lingering in the background. Flavors are consistent down to the last puff, leaving a soft and relatively dry ash. Despite the initial ashiness, the aftertaste is crisp and clean.

Smokes incredibly cool and dry, as a good oriental should. Smoke this with a beverage to tame the ashiness and draw out the sweetness. Smyrna No.1 offers an incredible tobacco room note that smokers will cherish, but non-smokers may fail to appreciate.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a Top Natural Mixture. No flavoring, only natural tobacco. But really high quality. In my opinion the best mixture Virginia/Oriental leaf you can find. Extraordinary taste, no defects, no lacks, skillful balance, harmonic composition (relationship between Virginia and Smyrna), perfect smooking. You will never grow tired of smooking this excellent tobacco. In my personal rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 10 an four stars.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)

As Pipestud says, this blend is a "template for sweet, light and spicy Oriental leaf." Spot on. I could swear this has latakia in it, but, alas, no—it's Izmir. What a fine, fine leaf this is. It's zesty, though not overpowering, it's sweet, though again, not overly so. It has that "Turkish" taste to it, though a bit muted this time around (as compared to say Turkish 84 or Drama Reserve). The nic hit is moderate. I still prefer Drama reserve, but this one's a close second.

A brief side note concerning the Virginia's often used in this series—thus far, I deem the Virginia's as being not much more than a filler; the taste is present, but, in each case the orientals come to the forefront (as it should be). So, truly, the oriental tobaccos are the stars of these blends.

McClelland's Grand Oriental series is turning out to be my favorite line of tobaccos; I've not been disappointed in any way with the three I've tried thus far, namely Drama, Katerini and now this sweet weed, Smyrna. I'm looking forward to trying the others.

Recommended!

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A friend sent me a generous sample of Smyrna No. 1 and I have enjoyed the chance to smoke this.

It is a mild, sweet and slightly spicy blend. For me, it is one of those smokes like Embarcadero that is a little delicate and benefits from a dedicated pipe to really "get" it.

if you like orientals, this is a great one to try.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

First let me say that I do like all Orientals and this is no exception. This comes with perfect moisture to smoke. I find the taste so interesting, full Oriental, and a great change from the Latakia/Perque blends. The taste is a sweet & sour with a smooth musky scent. Doesn't bite ( if you take it slow), just the right spice to make it interesting and it lights and burns great ,but maybe on the hot side. I detect a hint of clove , nutmeg and cocoa , but mostly cedar . It is a little light on "N", but that doesn't bother me. This is somewhat complex depending on how fast you smoke this as you can change the flavors .This actually passed MY wife test, which is very hard to do. This gets 4 stars, as I want to keep this around and keep in the rotation.

Updated 7/19/12- I find this tobacco starts off very flavorfull, more sour than sweet and maybe some cedar scent/flavor. Unfortunately I tend to smoke this fast and by about halfway, the smoke turns hot and bitter, my fault. For me, "Drama" holds it's flavor better at a faster paced smoke.

Pipe Used: cob

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)

To add to the trivia regarding this blend, you can see the hole in the Smyrna leaf where each leaf is strung for curing. Can you imagine running a needle and thread through each leaf and the quantity it takes to make a pound! Ok, that said, this is wonderful tobacco. The light, spicy, almost cinnamon-like flavor and sweetness develops after lighting and one settles into this smoke. This blend has a wonderful complexity moving between suble sweetness and cinnamon and other taste notes. As with oriental leaf, it is light, soft and smooth. My guess - and I stress guess - is that this blend contains Maryland to enhance burning qualities, and a red Virginia to deepen the sweetness. The tobacco is a ribbon cut. It burns to a nice white ash. It was not wet on opening the tin, nor did it have the ketchup or vinegar smell McClelland is often noted for. It does not burn hot, nor bite. This is a light and nice smoke any time of the day.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)

Short review this time.

When compared to GL Peases's Embarcadero, which is also a Virginia/Izmir blend, this blend fails miserably.

The Izmir/Smyrna is extrmely muted in this blend and doesn't come to the forefront the whole time. It's there sporatically but not enough for my tastes.

Do yourself a favor and get the Embarcadero instead. It is usually cheaper and burns a lot better.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (66)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I really appreciate educational value behind the Grand Orientals product line. After smoking a tin of Smyrna N1 I must have a clear idea on what tobacco was like "back when Istanbul was Constantinople" as the tin label says. (And although tobacco plant was discovered by Christopher Columbus some forty years after the unfortunate city of Constantinople had been turned into Istanbul, well, McClellands aren't historians, they are tobacco blenders).

Smyrna Tobacco in this blend have a distinctive flavour, which I think I could now easily recognize in other mixtures if they contain that variety of Oriental. I can't say however I like that flavour. Perhaps I'm just not into Orientals. And the main drawback for me is almost non-existent level of Nicotine, which I think is against the very purpose of tobacco smoking.

I liked the small whole leaf packed in the tin. I shredded it with scissors and added to the mixture. Nice touch.

Somewhat Recommended because of its educational value.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

well, I like this whole line by McClelland but this is the best I think. Smyrna is a very easily recognizable taste, and as pipestud mentioned it was popular back when John Cotton made the famous blend of the same name. It might not be for everyone, and like this entire line the nic hit is toward the mild end. Still, the flavor is just wonderful....if you like Smyrna. Smoking this takes me back....way back...to the old John Cotton days. It is redolent of exotic places and just has that quality of mystery that some tobaccos have. Give it a try. high quality as is the case, always, with mcClelland.

There is nothing to compare to this either. Not embarcadero....which is fine but nothing in this class, nor do even other oriental blends like Sam'sFlake come close.

Purchased From: 4noggins

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Many reviewers have commented they would have wished McClelland to put out even more oriental forward mixtures instead of Virginia blends condimented- with-orientals in their Grand Oriental series, their title being somewhat a misnomer.

Now, as far as the name of the series goes, ”Grand Orientals” - I assume - refers to the varieties themselves, the “Grand” oriental varieties: Yenidge, Samsun, Smyrna, Drama etc. So, I see nothing inappropriate in the title here.

As far as the inclusion of Virginia in these series is concerned, assuming the Orientals used here are similar to those used in the McC's “Orientals for Blending” - a straight Oriental offering- despite my raving review of the latter, I have to admit that the two “Grand Orientals” I have had are more balanced and more complete smokes than the straight oriental. It could be that economic reasons make it difficult for tobacco companies to put out straight Oriental tobaccos, but still I think their inclusion on a base of Virginia gives them a backbone (body, strength) they lack by themselves alone while the fragrant character still lets them shine in a combination with Virginias.

So far I’ve only tasted “Smyrna No.1” and “Yenidje Supreme” and both blends are very similar in style, being mild in strength but very fragrant with Oriental leaf aromas on the base of a sweet and mellow red Virginia. Both are excellent, my choice tobacco for the first smoke in the morning, but if I had to choose one, that would be Smyrna by a small margin: sweet and perfumed, spicy and nutty with a whiff which reminded me of poached pear: Delectable!

The tin presentation with a whole leaf sitting on top of the tobacco is really cool as well. Tin aroma for me is the most delicate and delectable I have ever encountered -the fact that this aroma does not come solely from the tobacco but has to do with a mild casing as well does not distract my pleasure, it seems natural and it's very congruent to the tobacco aroma - It is so nice it makes me stop and relish it unsmoked every time I open the tin to pick some tobacco and pack a pipe.

It surely is one of my favourite tobaccos so far, excellent burning behaviour, no bite, mild in strength but flavorful. Excellent for the first half of the day. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (20)

I’ve been enjoying Smyrna No. 1 every time, but this evening was different and better. I loaded a smaller bowl to take outside and watch the stars come out with my son and we shared a bowl. What was interesting about this bowl was that by trading back and forth, I forced myself to enjoy the SN1 at an even slower pace that I would normally have taken and it was amazing how much more variation in flavor I was able to find.

This is a very smooth smoking oriental with some natural sweetness and hints of spice notes that are well balanced and trading off back and forth depending on the heat of combustion. My son commented on how enjoyable he found SN1 telling me that he likes this one right from the start; he called it a “no bite with a non-aromatic sweetness that has a creamy quality to it”.

A slow pace with brief interruptions will really make this one sing for you. Happy Smoke Trails!

Pipe Used: Best in a Dunhill Group 1

Age When Smoked: 8 year old tin

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Not a tobacco equivalent of a varietal wine, but a very nice blend of virginias seasoned with oriental leaf. The tobacco is mostly mid browns with some light and some black leaf present.

The tin note is spicy plum pudding.

This tobacco burns well and is imo a perfect moisture content. It is a light, sweet and spicy smoke perfect for a change of pace. I surprised myself how much I enjoyed this blend and found myself going back to it repeatedly.

I rarely give a tobacco a low rating as I find I enjoy most all tobaccos and can find something good to say about most of them. I struggle to do that with this one. I just tastes plain hot and bland to me. Very one dimentional. It presents itself nicely in the tin, mostly small rough cut brown leaf with a few whole leaves thrown in. It has the nutmeg smell I get from most Turkish tobaccos in the tin and it loads quite easily into the pipe. It came at a good moisture level in the tin and it lites quite well, one the first light after the rise for me. On the first puff, it emits the very fragrant aroma of the Smyrna, which is kinda aromatic with a spicey overtone. I like Smyrna in a blend as it adds charactor, but in the proportion this blend uses this leaf, it is just overwhelming to my pallette. It is so spicy that that is all I taste all the way down the bowl. It tastes hot to me, though my pipe in reality stayed cool and I experienced no tongue bite. It burns all the way down in the pipe to a light grey ash and little dottle and no moisture. I would imagine this would make a good mixer with other blends, but as it stands alone, I do not recommend it at all.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Light, smooth, complex. There are sweet notes and occasionally a dark sugary quality comes through fleetingly. Spicy cinnamon pepper present but not overstated. Gentle, subtle, intriguing. A most elegant smoke.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I support the idea of the Grand Orientals series so that we can get an idea of what individual leaves taste like. This is the only one I've had and I'm reviewing it from memory, but with a full tin under my belt I felt like I could say some nice things about it.

The presentation is impeccable with the two leaves atop the ribbon. Such a nice touch. I found this stuff a bit hard to keep to lit, but then I smoked my tin pretty fresh and didn't let it dry out at all. It left my pipes a bit moist in the bottom, which was no big deal, but worth noting.

The flavor itself was really ... rich and exotic, I guess. It wasn't a very deep blend in my experience, but while it was a bit one-dimensional it was a good dimension.

In short, I bought this mainly out of academic interest in the Smyrna leaf but ended up enjoying the smoke itself well enough to consider buying another tin eventually. Worth a try if you're interested in orientals at all.

I am pretty split on the Grand Oriental line in terms of my likes and dislikes. Along with Samsun, I really enjoy this one. I think the best way to approach Smyrna is to enjoy is slowly. Puffing will not bring about a deeper more complex smoke. This tobacco scores big points because it is what it sets out to be, a delicate, light, sweet smoke. I enjoy this most in the mornings. Highly recommended!

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

The best in the series! It displaced Samsun! This is sweet rich acidic satisfying, one of the greatest tobaccos on the market today (they are sure to cancell it now). It starts of dry and then develops the rich, spicy exotic oriental taste, soon followed by a virginia with a flavor like freshly cut clover hay. I am putting as much as I can behind. If you smoke no other tobacco this year than Smyrna, you have spent the year well. If you dont like it, dont smoke the rest of the tin, send it to me.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A rich, creamy, fragrant blend. Somewhat sweet, peppery and herbal with incense-like (bordering on soapy) notes. The taste resembles raw vanilla (maybe it has a deertongue top dressing which gives it that peppery edge.) Very exotic -- makes you wonder if there's non-tobacco herb leaves in it. It packs and burns well without bite; burns evenly, effortlessly, and dry to the bottom of the bowl leaving white ash.

To date I've tried Smyrna #1 and Classic Samsun from McClelland's Grand Orientals series, and I liked the Samsun much more. If memory serves, I think John Cotton's was a better Smyrna blend.

I don't wish to discourage anyone from trying a tin of this merely because I'm not keen on it. If for no other reason, do it for the experience -- which is the real benefit of having McClelland produce an entire series of orientals.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

My first delve into Oriental tobaccos. I am not a fan of blends with Latakia, so this seemed like a logical choice. This is a mild blend with a really nice taste, very different from the aromatics I usually smoke. I will keep it in stock but need to smoke it outside as it didn't pass the wife test. She found the aroma to be similar to incense used at church, so it has been banned from inside smoking. If you are an aro smoker looking for a change, try this!

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)

This blend did indeed have that one tiny leaf on top of the ribbon/loose flake blend. So this was my second Grand Oriental -Drama being the first.

This blend is -as been mentioned- earthy, maybe woodsy, with a rich heavy smoke. I have tasted this Izmir in several Balkan blends.

On their own, Orientals to me are too one -dimensional, very good but too focal, if you will. I do love them in Balkan and English blends.

I cannot recommend enough how much one can learn from isolating individual components of our favorite blends, and the Grand Orientals are a good starting point.

Pipe Used: Meers, briars, cobs

Purchased From: Magazine St New Orleans

Doggie_Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doggie_Daddy (5)

This was my first try to orientals, what a nice surprise. Will be trying all the grand orientals. A slow go is best for this blend.

Pipe Used: beckler meerschuam

Purchased From: local shope

Sgt_Fig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sgt_Fig (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I enjoy all Orientals and after ordering several tins of the McClelland series, I was very impressed. While English Blends, medium to full, are my usual tastes, from time to time a lighter, subtler sensation is the order of the day. This particular blend is a highlight for me.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this six months ago today and just opened it. I wasn't actually planning that, but interesting. When I open the tin, I find the neatest presentation I've seen yet: a whole leaf of Smyrna sitting on top of the ribbon cut. That was cool. Is there a ketchup aroma? Of course, it's McClelland. Does it carry into the smoke? No, thank goodnes.

I bought this blend for two reasons. 1) My previous experience with Classic Samsun was amazing, and 2) I wanted to try more from the series, so I read up on the descriptions of each, and I found these words over and over about this one: "Earthy, musty, pungent, spicy." That's exactly what I was looking for.

And that's exactly what this is, and I love it. If you don't like spicy lingering in the back of your throat, occasionally even bothering you, you might not like this...well, at least not the first half of the bowl. It mellows out in the second half (which is where I'm at in my bowl now). I actually like all of the above. As a side note, I think this tin is the black tin of the series for a reason: Even though this series is light overall, this is probably the heaviest from what I've read.

This is fantastic stuff if you're into earthy tobaccos.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

The Izmir is light, and Smyrna No. 1 is the typical aged Virgina with McClelland's acetic acid application. Not my favorite of the Grand Orientals, but I will revisit from time to time. I would have preferred a little more Izmir in this one.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

Nice tin presentation with that tobacco leaf and the preservative smell is more subdued. Not as sweet or fragrant as Drama Reserve but fuller bodied. As with all Orientals, the fragrance is specific and yet stands apart on its own. Pleasurable outdoors smoke on warmer days, with time to spare, in order to get the full spectrum of flavors. A four star mixture for Oriental tobacco lovers.

Billy777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billy777 (17)

The tin note does not have much of the McClelland tomato ketchup smell, (Why do so many McClelland blends have that ketchup smell?), instead it's just a natural sweet tobacco smell. It's a gently does it blend, any heavy puffing results in tongue bite. A good all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Zulu

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I heard good things about this blend, but for me it came as somewhat of a disappointment after my love affair with Katerini Classic. I found the flavor to be sweet, almost too sweet and very one dimensional. I liked the blend at first, but became bored with it quickly. The tin note and room note were very similar to Katerini, however the smoke just didn't stand out IMO. Packs well, burns well, sweet and mild, you may enjoy it coming from aromatics, it burns much better than the traditional American aro.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Smyrna No. 1 is one of my favorites from the Grand Orientals collection. An excellent Oriental leaf delicately balanced by sweet Virginias, providing a mellow, earthy, cool smoke with solid taste from the beginning to the end of the bowl, with very little vinegar taste.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)

I was not impressed on my first pipe full but eventually, got to appreciate the subtle sophistication. A sweet smokee most probably from the VA in the blend. Burns nicely and is a nice break from my usual latakia-based regulars. Will review again at the end of the tin.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)

Wonderful stuff. The VAs are of the usual McClelland quality and smell amazing in the tin. The Smyrna adds a lightly spicy tone in the tin as well.

I find the smyrna very noticable at the first match and then settles in behind the sweet VAs and is always there.

Smoked slowly it is very flavorful, but if puffed somewhat quikly it starts to taste like a quality VA only- losing the orientals contribution.

Must try for VA lovers.

flagg1122 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flagg1122 (15)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really love this blend. Great everyday smoke. It is a great late evening tobacco, the spicy almost cinnamon flavor is truly relaxing after a hard day. Recommended!!