Celtic Talisman is blended from Bright Virginias, Burley and Black Cavendish. Topped with a dash of sweet cherry and vanilla. A medium strength tobacco with good room notes.

BrandSamuel Gawith

2.9
Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not a huge aromatic person, but this is awesome. A cherryish taste, maybe a bit liquer, on very fine quality tobacco. Nice cut, burns well, satisfies my nic craving in the morning with coffee. The tin smell is fantastic, similar in intesity to some of petersons products, but the flavour is not overdone.

If I can ever find this in stock, I'll buy more.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First of all, let me remind my fellow Americans that it is "Seltick" Talisman like the basketball team in Boston or Glasgow's second-best soccer club, not "Keltick" like we were uneducated young hipsters in a Portlandia sketch.

Secondly, I must qualify my remarks by saying that I detest aromatic blends. But I generally enjoy most of the Samuel Gawith blends I have smoked, and I enjoy trying new things, and so here I am with a very fresh new tin of CT delivered last night.

After two bowls, I must admit CT is a very pleasant surprise. Upon opening, the aroma is sweet, unidentifiable, and overpowering. I was almost afraid to smoke it. I expected it to be a goopy mess, but it was in fact a little on the dry side. It lights easily and requires little effort to keep going. I am normally sensitive to tongue bite, but no tongue bite here. It left only a dry powdery ash in the bottom of my cob.

The smoke tastes exactly like the aroma. If you don't care for the flavoring, too bad. The underlying burley is bland and may not satisfy fans of Virginias or English blends.

The nicotine dose is a typically healthy Sam Gawith buzz. Plenty of Vitamin N to satisfy you.

The biggest selling point may be that it has the most pleasant room note I've ever encountered. This is a great smoke to enjoy in public or around nonsmokers.

I've never bought a second tin of an aromatic, but I will be going back for more Celtic Talisman.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Probably just a month or two...

Purchased From: That online store...

Chimney1966 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chimney1966 (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Since a long time, my first re-encounter with Samuel Gawith products. During early 1990s I found three of Samuel Gawith products in their line excellent value for money (one which was Commonwealth Mixture although too strong for beginner, another was more suitable, the Squadron Leader, and third was a fairly flavoured one). Then I thought, Samuel Gawith tobacco is always worth of the money and never let you down... (If they had done the same way last 200 years, they certainly can not be wrong)

Some time ago I heard that they had new tobacco, and finally local importer got some of it, the new Celtic Talisman... Old memories about excellent quality tobacco, kept expectations high as I opened the tin...

Indeed.., high quality tobacco and high quality cut, British certainly know how to cut the tobacco (instead of Scandinavian's too thin "shag"), and that contributes a lot to excellent burning characteristics, as will not burn too hot.

I found the tobacco in fresh tin too moist (as had also been the case with other SG products nearly 20 years ago), and had to let small amount of tobacco to dry for sometime. About 10 minutes after handling the tobacco, the cherry casing reminded about its existence, and although mild, fairly persistent...

I used my Peterson 303 system pipe (one without filter) to assess this tobaco, and first notice was that pleasant tobacco to handle, and easy to pack into the bowl. First layer loose, second more dense and third layer firmly pressed.

Lighted with first match (but needed after a while another flame to relight), although tobacco was still bit moist, did not have any attempt to bite, and not temperamential at all. Really well behaving tobacco, and remainded truly pleasant smoking experience... Afterwards.., I noticed that from first impression of relatively mild taste and feel, turned out later with fairly good nicotine kick, and that occured about 15 minutes after had finished the bowl...

Later experiences... Noticed that Celtic Talisman did not leave any sticky substance in the bowl of my 303, but fairly persistent "cherry perfume" appeared to 303 while finished the whole tin, and needed several bowls of another tobacco to be used before faded away from the pipe.

The Celtic Talisman tobacco should be allowed to dry slightly, as it improves while keeping it in tobaccopouch for while, moist tobacco fresh from tin will not burn well, and might even pack too tight into the bowl, if not careful.

Ladies liked the room note, although I mainly prefered to smoke outside. Apparently this is the type of tobacco with satisfies both the smoker as well as the others. Nowdays a certain way to get a favourable attention...

But one thing to remeber..., dedicate some aromatic pipe for this tobacco, as it really remains in the pipe some time afterwards...

Excellent high quality tobacco, neat tin and good value for money. This is the pipe tobacco which can be recommenned to those who like to impress ladies with "good taste" in selecting pipe tobacco. It is tobacco which never let you down... One additional masterpiece from Samuel Gawith...

Full four stars **

Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Certainly, the tobacco quality is good, but the casing is not, this blend tastes like strawberry chewing gum, I regularly smoke and love heavy aromatic blends, there is some balance to be respected when adding fruit syrup to tobacco, this blend is, IMO, completely imbalanced and was a waste of money.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is the first sam gawith tobacco i have tried and i have to say im impressed very much. First of all i have a soft spot for aromatics, always have always will. Im glad sam gawith have gone the european aro route were delightful flavourings are added to great tobacco and both work together in harmony. Anywho opening the tin its a tart cherry and i swear i can smell rhubarb. The tobacco is very thick ribbons which pack and light easily. The cherry and vanilla flavours although they are there they arent in your face. And they work extremely well with the flavours of the virginia and burley. But this is an aro with balls. I wouldnt recommend this too total novices as the nic can creep up on you. All in all a great tobacco especially if you like a good aromatic baccy.

Update 8th may 2014. I would like to add some side notes to this review. I still class this as a four star tobacco but during my time smoking i have learned a few things. Packing must be just right not to compact as due to the tobaccos moistness will not smoke at all and not too loose as it will smoke rather too well and become hot and bitter fairly quick.

But once you have the packing right, the extra work care and attention this tobacco needs makes it all the more worth it. It is a truely delightful smoke.

People looking for a heavily cased american candy store aromatic wont find it here, it is in the same tradition of european aromatics very virginia and burley foreward with a dose of black cav to carry the flavours. The said virginia and burley taste wonderful as there flavours come and go during the smoke, the cherry is there to complement the flavoura not override them. I say cherry as i dont really get the vanilla but its no bad thing as the flavours i detect are more than satisfying.

The style of the aromatic as ive said is a european aromatic, think along the same lines as borkum riff, your looking at roughly 60%virginia/burley with the rest being cavendish.

To sum up my review and side notes, i think sam gawith have took the aromatic and reinvented it. There is enough tobacco flavour to keep the purist happy but also just enough added flavour to compliment the tobacco and keep the aromatic fan happy. The best thing about the tobacco is even though it takes the extra work care and attention is it pays dividends in the bucket load when you have it right. Yes it can be a pain but the fact that the extra work needed pays off so fabulously is the reason i havent downgraded the score. When it goes right it is an absolutely stunning smoke and has earned its four stars from me solidly.

Update 27th of may 2014.

I know this review may seem long winded and for that i appologise but i do like to share my discoveries which i feel makes an excellent tobacco better. Yesterday i went to the seaside ajd given it was a nice day i thought id take my pipe and the last of my celtic talisman. I carried it in my dual pipe and tobacco pouch. Anywho i had the bowl and the remnants that were left were about half a bowls worth. I planned when i got home to transfer the half bowls worth back to its little airtight tub. Well i forgot and tidying up this morning seeing my pipe pouch i took a look at the tobacco it had dried considerably. It was almost crunchy and was about to throw it away but something told me to pack and light and im glad i did. It was delicious the cherry was a touch subdued and the tobaccos fkavours were star attraction, zesty sweetness from the virginias and a touch of burley nuttyness meld that together with the tartness of the added cherry and you are onto an utterly exceptional smoke. That drying out although not intentional did it wonders. So i you find celtic talisman try it as is and then dried and im sure you will agree the resultsare exceptional as the drying time in my oppinion will make it a tobacco that will please the aro fan and pure tobacco flavour fans alike.

Pipe Used: falcon bent with alco algiers bowl

Purchased From: specialist whisky and cigar merchant pitlochrie scotland

Willy Nilly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy Nilly (1)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been on a mission to find a good quality aero. I enjoy many Samuel Gawith's offerings and figured I would give this one a try.

Initial tin inspection revealed a wet tobacco with a fragrance of raspberry chocolate. The fragrance is very pleasing and enticing. The first bowl straight out of the tin was pretty wet which was to be expected. The burn was slow and required few relights. I did not experience tongue bite although I imagine it is quite possible without restraint. The tin note fragrances did not transition directly to the flavors but I did notice a sugary sweetness that was very enjoyable. The sweetness only seems to come through when smoked or sipped slowly. In addition to the sweetness, good quality tobacco flavors were quite prominent. When smoked quickly the flavors and sweetness wash out and are less enjoyable.

Subsequent bowls mirrored the first impression with the exception of the wetness due to proper drying. This aero does not leave a goopy mess in the bowl but does leave a noticeable ghost. The room note is very nice and most will enjoy its fragrance. There is an acceptable amount of nicotine as well.

Maybe it's me but I've had hard time smoking anything else recently. I guess I'm still enamored at this point. Overall this is a very enjoyable aero which I plan to keep in the rotation.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff smells great in the tin and the room note is pleasant. It doesn't bite and it smokes cool and dry. The cherry and vanilla taste is very subtle. There are better blends available so I'm undecided whether to get more tins and put it into my regular rotation.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)

Only an inveterate and longtime hater of cherry aros can truly appreciate this cherry-flavored blend from SG. Because there is no tonguebite, the cherry flavor is not chemo-toxic or overwhelming, and allows you to appreciate the fine baseline tobacco, (i.e., not strongly or grossly cased to conceal the taste of cheap tobacco). The room note and aroma are the best in aroland, imo. The strength is accordingly mild to medium, and does not "turn" on you as the bowl progresses. Smokes very smooth and down to a fine clean ash, which in itself is notable for an aro. I normally smoke aros once a month or so, but am developing a hankering for getting deeper and deeper in this new (to me) blend. There are a relatively few aromatics that I consider quality aros: Sillems Black, Dan's Blue Note, and W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned, 1864 and Signature. Now CT goes to the top of that list.

lycus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lycus (4)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

While it smells quite nice, I can't help but to categorize the taste of this blend in the same vein as I would perfume. It's quite soapy and I don't taste what I smell at all. It's got a chemical taste to it. Perhaps I got a bad batch?

uncle corncob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
uncle corncob (4)

Through my tobacco journey I have enjoyed a lot of blends and more importantly learned what I like and what I don?t like. I have learned my tastes gravitate towards more Va ? VaPer ? Va/Burley ?Va Blends and flakes. Although I prefer a more natural tobacco taste with minimal flavoring added if none at all, I have always been on the lookout for an aromatic that still had good, quality tobacco, good taste and frankly some nicotine. I sort of gave up on finding such a blend.

Until now.

Folks, this is as close to the perfect Aromatic/Va-burley I have smoked. It has a fantastic Va taste first and foremost, while the burley and Cav are supporting actors, all on the stage of a cherry flavoring that is not assertive, masking or overbearing. Then the cherry on top (sorry for the pun) it has a good nicotine balance, siding on the lighter side of Medium.

My first advice, please treat this as if it is from Mac Baren. By saying that I mean, let it dry out for 24-48 hours first before smoking it. Straight out of the tin, it can nip the tongue. (I tried it, and I advise not to) This is the only downfall I have found through the half of tin I have smoked.

In the Tin ? The appearance is black, brown, and bright ribbon strands; some chopped, some longer than others. The aroma is fantastically cherry liqueur.

1st light ? Immediately you are aware of the Virginias and it is top notch flavor of Va that dominates this blend. The Cherry/Vanilla are there but not as storng as the natural Va taste. No problem lighting it the first time, once tamped you are your way.

Mid bowl ? You realize the dual play between the Va and the Burley and the taste is a tangy cherry with crème. The Virginias are tangy, and tend to ?sting? the back of the nose but not in a bad way. Something like horseradish. The Nicotine is rising but never goes to far. The unbiased remarks on the room note is, very good but cherry is not mentioned, more of pastry or baked goods. If you made cranberry nut bread and added cherries to it, that is what this is like to smell and to smoke. The Va, Burley and Cav create this ?malted? bread affect and it is all I can do not to chew the stem. (I promise I am not over exaggerating)

Bottom Bowl ? The cherry flavor has backed down, but not dissapeared and you left with a great natural taste where they all have blended together to create a creaminess in the mouth. The tanginess is still present. The nicotine has sat right a level where this could be enjoyed all day, but you know you always know you are smoking something with depth.

I can see this being a great all season, all day smoke for me for a very long time. 3 stars, could have been 4 but the there is a very small tendency of tongue bite if not prepared and dried.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

ORIGINAL: 2-28-08: This is a light, tangy, cherry aromatic. Not the thick arificial cherry flavoring common in so many blends, but something more akin to a fresh-off-the-tree cherry tang. I've actually picked quite a few cherries off the tree over the years for fresh eating and for pies so I know of what I speak.

Not one hint of the Lakeland Floral Essence (thank goodness) that Sam Gawith feels that they must add to everything else they make.

The cherry essence is very light, but that is what helps make this blend a success and keeps it from being goopy or sickeningly artificial like cherry blends can be sometimes.

The nutty burley notes support and add more character to the smoke, along with a light to medium VA strength. There is mild tobacco taste and nicotine here, but those wanting a strong tobacco need not bother. This blend is not strong and doesn't claim to be, nor is there any Latakia or Perique.

It's a light, fruity, cherry-nut top noted tobacco that is very well done. Blond and brown VAs with a little black cavendish. Great tin note and the room note is a winner for everyone nearby. A very refreshing part of my current rotation.

No bite or gurggle and smokes like a dream. Love it!

Not your usual Cherry Aromatic,

4 Stars!

UPDATE: 3-10-08: After the tin has been opened for a few days the Cherry aroma, both from the tin and while smoking, has improved and developed nicely. Defintely top notch among the genre of Cherry blends.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The first SG I plan to buy again. Done how an aro should be done. What I mean is, you can actually taste the topping without straining and the tobacco underneath is full and of good quality. Doesnt seem to have the excessive PG/Humectant of other SG blends - but it's there. Does not taste of cherry or vanilla to me. It is unmistakeably raspberry. Very similar to Mac Barens 7 Seas red, another cherry-come-raspberry which I prefer slightly, as the 7 seas topping is just that little bit stronger and lasts all the way to the end of the bowl. The SG has slightly better tobacco but the MB has the slightly stronger flavor, so for an aromatic 7 seas wins by a hair. Would have preferred a flake. If only Firedance topping was done like this...

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)

I have been working my way through the SG range of blends and I have enjoyed most of those I have tried. This is no exception. There is a nice hint of cherry when you open the tin, but not enough to overpower the tobacco.

The hint of cherry carries over into the smoke when you light this tobacco. The taste of good quality tobacco, typical of all their blends, mixes very nicely with a gentle flavour of cherry and a hint of vanilla. The taste remains pretty much the same until you reach the end of the bowl, when it becomes slightly less aromatic and more tobacco flavours come through.

Not as strong as many aromatics, but I like that as it allows the tobacco to blend in with the flavour. I will certainly be keeping a tin on hand so I can enjoy this on a regular basis.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ever wonder what would happen if you blended a Gawith tobacco with some cherry and black cavendish? Well, you'd get this.

The tin note is chemical and awful, and might bring to mind children's cough syrup. This will cause you to lower your expectations, and if you lower them enough you might enjoy this.

It's a blend predominantly of Burley, I think, and cavendish. The taste of cherry is far more muted in the bowl and actually agreeable, taken for what it is. It tops a rather dry, nutty Burley taste unlikely to impress or offend. I wouldn't know there was any Vanilla in this if the tin description didn't say so, but I thought I tasted a whiff of vanilla halfway down the bowl.

Someone somewhere wrote that this tobacco reinvents the aromatic. I don't know quite what that means. I'll say this: I did actually taste a bit of cherry in it, and the tobacco had a touch of vitamin N as well. And it didn't bite. In those three ways, the tobacco pleasantly surprised me.

I didn't hate it. But it didn't convert me to aromatics.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)

curiosity got me on this one. I dont do many aro's. fresh out of the tin, can bite a lil. taste of cherry and vanilla in harmony with the virginia. I will have to try some firedance now.

fruktflugan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fruktflugan (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Not the worst tobacco I've smoked, but definately Not Recommended.

There is nothing in there that compells me to try another bowl of this, the burley is totally dominant and takes over the few lingering strands of a good aromatic.

I can see what they were aiming for, but they missed the target by miles and miles.

Samuel Gawith's other products all outshine this. Not worth your while! -Sorry!

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

The tin description above (as of 10/19/10) is of "Cherry", the Gawith web site mentions "a dash of sweet cherry and vanilla". I have submitted a correction. Anyway, summer here in Florida is thankfully over, the pollen and humidity are gone, the snow birds have arrived. And I can again appreciate a fine aromatic like Celtic Talisman.

Like all Gawith blends, the tobacco is top quality and the flavoring adds to the fine tobacco flavor. For me a once a month treat when I get a sweet tooth and am bored and tired of all the latika and perique.

The truly great quality of most Gawith blends is their ability to always have a fine tobacco flavor under a subtle added essence. Usually they only blend one or at most two flavors into their blends. While to some they may seem one dimensional, to those of use who enjoy the flavors they use, the taste is exactly what we wanted. In this case Cherry and light vanilla, but such a perfect cherry in a great tobacco tasting base.

The tin aroma is similar to Firedance with cherry instead of blackberry and brandy. Also, Firedance is a flake that smells much stronger and needs a few months to calm down, but is equally enjoyable when the need hits.

Uncle corncob will give you the details. I will only say again this is a blend for the discriminating palate, and not to be missed if cherry is what you want. To bad it bites if you are not careful.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Bit hard on the tongue for an aromatic, this, but tastes lovely, and the cherry is nice and subtle. Quite moist in the tin, even after a few weeks, so needs leaving out for a while. Needed more relights than is usual for me, maybe because of the moisture.

agentlemanfromindiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agentlemanfromindiana (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is in fact a very mild blend but it is still very tasty. Most impressively it tastes very similar to how it smells in the tin which is not very common among aromatics. Good work S.G. Definitely worth a try; go get some!

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

I bought it after my friend?s Desperado suggestion, and I don?t regret it at all. I opened it and smoked it in Karpenisi . Whether it was the nice surroundings, the clean air, or smoking my pipe was the only entertainment up there, I was forced to adore this smoke. I think highly of Samuel Gawith. It is a ready-rubbed tobacco that requires a drying process for a day or two. The cherry liqueur that comes off after the first lighting (there is a slight difficulty in this stage) is particularly nice and it lasts for quite a while before it changes places with Vanilla and Black Cavendish. It is generally a good smoke for the aromatic lovers.

Thank you Desperado.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Tried this a little while ago and bought several tins, thouroughly loved it, then suddenly, as if a switch had been thrown, went off it, I now have four tins sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the tobacco, I'm sure it's just me, I was probably craving something sweet, and this was it, now craving over, back to the usual, whatever that is. I still have an open tin which I take the odd bowl from occassionaly, but still, a little on the sweet side for my palate at the moment, maybe in a few months time ?

If your looking for a a sweetish tobacco, thats mild and easy to smoke without being a cavendish and not quite a pure Virginia, this could be a good choice.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (53)

This is a great aromatic blend. The first one that I have found that I have really enjoyed. Opening the tin, I could smell the cherry as I opened the paper. It was a little moist so I let it sit out and decided to load another pipe with Black House. The casing at this point must have gotten on my fingers and it bleed over into a topping on Black House. Those of you who like Lat. and a good aro just think about Black House with cherry flavor over the profile but not overpowering it! What a treat and it was there for about the first 1/3 of the bowl. Anyway, back to CT. Loading was simple lighting was surprisingly simple too. Cherry at the match and cherry was about all I could taste. Oddly, while I normally like to taste the tobacco this was rather enjoyable. To get to the vanilla flavor I had to back way off and sip lightly and slowly. Then there was a faint cherry-vanilla flavor much like a cherry-vanilla coke. It smokes dry too! So well I did something with CT that I have never tried with any other aro. When the bowl was gone I just loosened the fine grey-white ash and dumped it and while the pipe was still warm loaded a second bowl. No need to run a cleaner down it just load and go. This bowl too smoked completely dry! Oh and I should also say that it tastes just exactly like how I remember my great-grandfather's pipe smelled. It took my back to my earliest childhood memory and kept me there for the whole bowl. Thanks SG for the great trip down memory lane!

Now for the lack of the 4th star. I smoked this for three days at night as my primary blend and had went through a little more then 1/2 of the tin but had to leave town and so I came back to it a week later. I am not sure if the tin lid does not fit well or what but that fabulous flavor of deep cherry was gone. Could this be why they never have released it as a bulk buy? I am going to buy another tin and jar what I will not smoke in a week as soon as the tin is opened to see if that will hold the casing better. If it will this blend is worth the extra effort and I will increase the rating to 4 stars. If not I would still recommend it to other cherry lovers.

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin, smelled similar to Grousemoor, but not the same. Somewhat confusing smell. Lighting it up, great smell and just the perfect amount of aroma. One of the best aromatic tobaccos I have smoked. Much better, much tolerable than Grousemoor

Edit: I could not finish the tin. Far from perfect. Still too strongly aromatic for me. But still better than Grousemoor

Pipe Used: Vauen Ascot

Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Celtic Talisman . Yet again Sam Gawith achieves perfection ! The aroma of the unlit Tobacco is brilliant as it is a good balance of the Tobaccos and the Aromatics . The ribbons are very enticing and they have a great moisture level . It takes to the flame with ease and the smoke is sublime . I get a really nice taste of sweet Black Cavendish which is complemented by the Cherry . The Vanilla requires a little extra attention as it is much less pre eminent than the cherry but can be identified if tried for . Nicotine level is about that of their "black Cherry" which is good for me and if you like to inhale the smoke it causes no repercussions ! The room note is also very sweet with a good cherry touch . It would be nice as a "dessert smoke" as it has a prodigious cherry sweetness to it . As usual Sam Gawith does not disappoint !

Pipe Used: Britains Best Briar

Purchased From: Smoke King

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Blending artistry of the highest level. The blenders chose some top tobaccos to create this blend and then added some fantastically balanced cherry-vanilla flavors. All together I get a nice, smooth, smoke with the addition of a steady cream and cherry candy flavor which keeps me interested and never irritates my taste buds. This tobacco packs well, burns well and in my case needed no drying. It has a divine Room Note.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum and Rattrays

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin smells like dried sunny fruits with sugar. The tobacco is cut thicker and somewhat longer than your usual ribbon (Peterson tobaccos for example).

The room note is certainly sweet and non smokers will like it.

But I really cannot detect any specific cherry or vanilla aroma. There is certainly some sweet flavours, but what I really enjoyed in this tobacco, is its Virginias and Burleys tastes. This is top notch good quality pipe tobacco. Just not what I had expected.

This mixture delivers a satisfying smoke that tastes (also) like tobacco, has a good strength (the vitamin N level, of course), burns drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry all the way down and leaves me wanting more. The topping is well conceived and is most interesting when smoking the tobacco. I like Celtic Talisman and will be buying more.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (19)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I couldn't taste either vanilla or cherry. It was impossible to keep lit longer than a couple of minutes. This is the first tobacco that has ever irritated my nose and throat.

Room note is just smoke.

I only bought a 10g sample of this, for which I'm glad now. I'll retry it on another day, but I'm definitely not buying more of it.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)

Different tin aroma,Not very flavorful, I will finish the tin.Maybe purchase again in the future.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I got this tobacco as a recommendation from a tobacconist. I was extremely disappointed. Out of the tin, the tobacco is extremely wet, and the smell is strong and "synthetic" (artificial) in nature. It proved to be an impossible challenge to keep lit, so I stopped smoking it after a few attempts. I will try again in the future, just to give it another chance, but so far it's on the last place in my preference list.

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The different tobaccos are easily distinguishable in the tin – very pale coloured Virginia and brown Burley in equal proportions, with about 10% Black Cavendish. The tobacco is moist from the tin with a very sweet cherry, tangy apricot and sugary nougat aroma. Aired out and the tobacco develops a whisky-like aroma.

The tobacco packs very well and tastes wonderful from the first light. The cherry is more noticeable at first but develops into a creamy more vanilla-flavoured smoke. It burns slowly and remains a pleasant cool sweet smoke right down to the end of the bowl. Sipping slowly will pick up more of the cherry tones but I like to occasionally take big mouthfuls to enjoy the vanilla flavour and nuttiness of the Burley. It is medium bodied and will satisfy those looking for a little strength and nicotine. The flavouring is well-balanced and does not overpower the natural tobacco taste. Overall, an excellent aromatic built from quality tobacco.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not sure what to write about this one. The tobaccos are classy, but the flavouring somehow doesn't fit my taste. From the first sniff on I compared this to fabric cleaner or washing powder, t does smell absolutely okay - but not for something you want to puff. Bronze-brown ribbon cut tobacco, very moist in the tin, packs a bit too compact, so it needs some drying. Not really "cherry" - it has a tin aroma that reminds me of fruit gums, or like Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. The smoke leaves a dry feel on the tongue - it actually dries out the complete mouth. The room aroma is okay. Taste and smell are quite far away from each other: it tastes bitter, and a bit like cheap booze. The smell is acceptable, though artificial. It provides enough Nic that you don't want to smoke another bowl for a while. It's not a full-flavoured mixture, but brings natural sweetness. I'm happy to finish the tin soon. Will not revisit this again. 2 of 5 stars. Not your typical aromatic.

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Well, this is the only SG blend so far that I didn't like too much. First, the good: The cherry flavoring is tasty and balances well with the core tobacco flavors. This is no goopy, tobacco-shop cherry bomb, but rather is a restrained English interpretation with solid core tobaccos. It burns nicely to a fine grey ash with no dottle, and the room note is also nice.

But to me, it is somewhat bitter -- not biting per se, but disagreeable enough after several tries that I probably won't come back to it again for a while. I'm not sure if it's the topping or the constituent tobaccos (the Burley dominates), but whatever is causing it, I don't like it. It smokes cool, but I found myself tugging a bit harder to coax out more flavor, but that just exacerbated the problem.

I prefer blends with more punch. If you're in the mood for something flavored but still serious, then give Firedance a whirl. It's head and shoulders above this one and it's from the same great blender.

MountainYeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MountainYeti (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

This was so bad I thought I had received a bad batch. I later gave it to friend who thought it was the greatest smoke on the planet! To each his own I suppose.

In the Tin

This is the first and last time I buy a pipe tobacco based on how cool the tin looks. I like Celtic art and the knots really appealed to me so I bought it (stupid, I know). The smell out of the tin is not unpleasant but not what I expected either. A bit like Cherry liquor. The Ribbon cut was quite nice and the tobacco was the rather moist out of the tin

The pack and the toast

After a few hours of dry time the bowl packed nicely and evenly. Upon toasting I was immediately taken aback by a flavor I can describe no other way than the flavor you get whe you mistakenly shoot bug spray in your mouth. I know that seems harsh but this was a bad flavor.

The Rest

I have smoked a pipe long enough to know that it can take several bowls to get used to and enjoy some blends. I gave this blend 6 tries over about a one month period. My opinion never changed. A lot of reviewers speak highly of this blend and it tends to be sold out on the online retailers but it is not for me. If I had to give this blend some sort of compliment I would say that the burn characteristics of it are great. This blend did not require much relighting and seemed to burn evenly and into a fine white ash.

No good for me. Hope it treats you better.

s-liskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
s-liskey (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not being a big aromatic fan to begin with, this blend was a little uneventful. The tin note was a little strong upon opening it but its strength dissipated within a few minutes. I dried the tobacco out a little as it was rather moist right out of the tin and loaded a mid sized bowl. It had a decent cherry and fruity note but nothing to over the top and it burned rather hot. The flavor was consistent throughout the bowl which was nice but it lacked an overall “WOW”. I can't say I would purchase this blend again!

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

It is interesting to try to consider this in relation to other popular aromatics, like those from Dan Tobacco or Boswell. My own experience is that this really strikes a balance between the two, and goes to the top of the list as a result. It does not bite like Dan aromatics, for example, and it is not as heavily cased. On the other hand, it is a much more robust smoke than Boswell blends, and packs more of a tobacco and nicotine wallop. This strikes just the right chord to me. I respect Boswell products, but they are too light for my tastes. Many other aromatics are simply too hot with poor burning characteristics and questionable tobacco flavor to be enjoyable. That is not the case here.

The tobacco, as noted above, is a tasty blend of virginias with burley and cavendish. I find the mixture to be very balanced. It is not goopy in the least, and does not befoul your pipe. Others have noted the dominance of the burley. I am not sure I would go that far, but the virginias are definitely subdued, which gives this its cool burning characteristics. It is a rubbed out shag type cut in the tin, but I still rub it out a little more. If you are getting bit by this blend, you are not letting it dry out enough, and smoking too fast. It is very cool with no bite if dried properly and not puffed like a maniac.

The flavor is rich tobacco with an overtone of cherry. I can taste the virginias and cavendish, and plumes of smoke are produced. This can be a strong smoke. It is nothing like Gawith's stronger flakes, but it is also nothing like a truly mild blend. If you put it in a large bowl and smoke the whole thing in one shot, you are going to feel the nicotine. I like that, and that is often what I find missing from milder aromatic blends.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the smoking experience here is really dictated by the level of moisture when you light up. If you smoke it right out of your tin or at "storage level" you are not going to get the full, subtle flavor of the tobacco, and it is going to burn hot, and probably bite your tongue. If you let it dry to the touch, it lights more readily, burns very evenly, and will provide you with a rich, cool, and lasting smoke.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with fruktflugan's review below word-for-word. I'll only supplement it with three adjectives of my own: hot, harsh & chemical.

Maybe we got a bad batch, because it's difficult to believe SG would intentionally release a disaster like this.

Massis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Massis (4)
Mild Strong Very Mild Very Strong

Upon opening the tin, the cherry scent is extremely strong. Besides being strong, the scent is also very chemical in my opinion.

This tobacco is somewhat wet when freshly opening the tin which makes it harder to pack. The amount of moist in it makes it hard to keep lit, requiring more relights than average.

The taste however is the opposite. Little to nothing of the overwhelming smell is left in the taste. Upon lighting this tobacco, without first smelling it, you wouldn't know it's a cherry aromatic.

Personally, this is the tobacco in my collection which I like the least. Due to my not liking it, I haven't smoked it very often, so my opinion might change later through the tin...

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (132)

I was a little leary about the cherry topping, since I had some previous bad experiences with such blends. I must say that this one smells of black cherry in the tin. This also translates to the aroma and taste as well. I must say that this blend has some great components along with just the right about of cherry topping to make this one of the best blends I have smoked thus far. This burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. Upon opening the tin, it did seem rather moist, but didn't deter from this fine blend at all. It has virtually no gurgling associated with some of the more mudane OTC blends available here in America. It produces a nice amount of smoke. There is no tongue bite at all in this very fine blend. I would definitely recommend this to the new smoker as well as the long time piper looking for a change of pace from their normal rotation.

kkgtyf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kkgtyf (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

While this was a very good tobacco, I've lost a taste for it. I might get made fun of, but I find the cherry flavoring to be too subtle for my tastes. The strength knocks me back a bit, but that's because I'm used to weak aromatics.

I will continue my search for a cherry aromatic that jumps out more. Nonetheless, this is a very good blend and I recommend getting a tin.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This and Dan Tobacco's Blue Note are my favorite aros. I will probably be shunned for even suggesting such a thing (called a Philistine, lacking in taste and discernment, etc.), but I find the two to be extremely similar in tobacco flavor, body, and strength, the only major difference being the casing. Celtic Talisman has a delicious cherry flavor, which I took to immediately. My wife does not like the smell of anything I smoke, but responded somewhat favorably to this one. It does not taste medicinal or phenolic the way most cherry flavorings do, and in my opinion balances perfectly with the leaf, which, by the way, is of the highest quality, as one would expect from Samuel Gawith. This lights and burns beautifully. I don't have any issues with goop in the pipe, and this stuff does not bite. It is a gentle, and I daresay even sexy, smoke. Great for after dinner. I give it four stars. If this seems excessive, consider how hard it is to find aromatics with such nice, rich tobacco flavor. I think that's worth an extra star in itself.

cactusboy33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cactusboy33 (5)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A nice mild tobacco with a subtle cherry flavour. This blend, thankfully, is lacking the overly artificial cherry topping that some other blends load on. Packs, lights and burns really well but may need a ten minute dry off before hand.

A tobacco that is great if you smoke it right and still good if you happen to puff too hard or fast. Plus it won't bite you like the shark hiding in other 'cheaper' aromatics will.

A nicely balanced smoke that is a great addition to any collection and I would recommend to the more experienced smoker and beginner alike.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)

This is quality tobacco. A wonderful experience to experience a cherry flavored tobacco done "right" by a master blender. A delightful amount of "blonde" virginia with some black cav interspersed in a form pillowlike tin pack of ready rubbed tobacco. Like another reviewer commented, the cut is perfect. It was a bit moist, but a few minutes of "on paper over the lightbulb" drying made its moisture level perfect.

Not strong at all, and with a bit of difficulty achieving a voluminous smoke, it did occasionally disappoint, but the flavor is there, and most importantly (and most often lacking in cherry blends), one could actually taste the cherry in the smoke, not just smell it.

No bite, even when puffing like a madman.

Quality leaf, and I'll be smoking more of this.

BobB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobB (19)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Finally a cherry tobacco I like. I smoke Aro's about 70-75% of the time and have never found a cherry I could grant more than 2 stars to.

Very pleasant from the tin and the roomnote gets compliments. If anything this was a little dry from the tin. The cherry is not overdone and stays through 3/4's of the bowl. I don't taste a lot of chemical flavor that I find in most other cherries. Nice gray ash that comes out cleanly and no goop.

It's a happy aromatic that's mild and enjoyable enough to be a everyday light-up

Mike Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Toney (44)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is about as fine a cherry blend tobacco as any on the market with a better price tag than most. Tin aroma is very prevalent & appealing. The tin is packed full of loose tobacco and mine arrived fairly moist. I dried a bowlfull out for about 25 minutes and stuffed it in me wee Peterson #317. It smoked cool with no tongue/palate discomfort. The marriage of sweet Virginia with the tasty cherry casing compliment each other. CT seemed to have a bit more Vitamin N than most aromatics. This is a pretty darn good cherry blend and I thought the price was right...$6.48 per 50 gram tin. If one likes a cherry blend, they might be well advised to give this a try. I was satisfied with CT and don't have anything negative to say about it. Therefore, IMHO, Celtic Talisman merits four **s!

il commissario Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
il commissario (9)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When you first open a tin of Celtic Talisman you are knocked over by the amazingly sweet, even sickly cherry and vanilla flavours. It's a little moist and sticky at first and I strongly recommend transferring it from the tin to another container before smoking. Once it's aired a little and the flavours mellow it becomes a joy every time to open it. Even the colours are attractive, with the bright Virginias jumping out alongside the darker Burley and Black Cavendish.

The tobacco packs well and is a dream to light. It burns slowly and can often be smoked right down to the bottom without relights. The first light reveals the cherry flavours, which develop into a creamy and more vanilla flavoured smoke. A third of the way down the bowl and you get a satisfying sweet smoke which makes me think of toasted marshmallows, but the cherry and vanilla is ever-present and the cherry is certainly noticeably in the room note which everybody seems to enjoy. The sweetness does not overpower the natural flavours of the tobacco, although I didn't really feel the presence of the Virginias. It burns cool, smooth and with some body so that it's a pleasure to just fill your mouth with a large volume of smoke and enjoy the flavours.

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)

I was't sure what to expect from this tobacco. It was a bit of an impulse purchase--I was looking for something aromatic that I hadn't tried before, and the tobacconist suggested Celtic Talisman. So I tried it.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a little wet when the tin is opened, but left to dry out for a bit, it packs nicely and takes a light easily.

As for the smoking, the topping is there, but not overpowering. There is enough tobacco flavour to satisfy, and the room aroma is agreeable to friends and family. The description of this as a "dessert tobacco" is apt, though I could see this as a nice "morning tobacco" as well. Recommended.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very nice aromatic!One of the few imports I keep a healthy stock of.The taste seems full and slightly dark but in a nice way,not bitter at all.The tobaccos are nicely nut and this aromatic features a cherry liquer that's very unique from other cherry flavored aromatics-has a luxurious flavor to it.With a name like Celtic Talisman,it's tend to throw people off with the name don't be fooled though..goes nicely for a dessert tobacco.

jeffo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeffo (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

i am working through sam gawith's i have tried a few and i have just opened a tin of this and what a beutifull smell it was a bit damp so i said to my wife ill let it sit for 10 mins no could not wait i had to try it what a great smoke no tounge bite stayed cool to the end of the bowl thats it the cigs are out of the window not what i think is an all day smoke but a good start to the day

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the best quality aromtic tobaccos I ever smoked. This is quality stuff. A mild blend, delicious taste!

cigarman43035 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarman43035 (15)
Medium Medium Medium Strong

This is the first Gawith tobacco that I tried and I like this one. As you open the can of this tobacco you can smell cherries and it is moist. It takes a few times to light it. The room then fills up with cherry smell. This tobacco can bite a little if you are not careful! Once lit you can taste sweetness and a slight cherry flavor. I like this blend! The next one I am going to try from Gawith is the full virgina flake so stay tuned for that review!

Rabid_Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rabid_Dog (4)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This review is of 50g. tin of Samuel Gawith's "Celtic Talisman". Years ago I did smoke aromatic tobaccos and thought I'd pick up another one to try when my girlfriend, family or friends are around. I initially thought it would be good for nights around the campfire or on the deck when others would be smelling the smoke, now I'm smoking it for me.

Description: "Aromatic Mixture"

Appearance: Tobacco in tin is very moist upon opening and needs to breathe 2-3 days to smoke well. Ribbon cut light brown, medium and deep brown.

Aroma: Pop the tin and you're nearly floored with the smell of a very nice sweet cherry liqueur. I don't believe this is a casing it smells like a generous amount of liqueur. When the tobacco airs out this smell fades and does not dominate the smoking experience. You can also smell the Cavendish and a nutty vanilla.

Packing: Packs well, burns best packed a little loose.

Lighting: Burn consistently, no or few relights when let to air out 2-3 days.

Taste: A potpourri of taste sensations, full aromatic flavor.

My Impressions: While I really enjoy this tobacco I found straight out of the tin it was too strong an aromatic taste to smoke a whole bowlful. I have since started cutting this with 2 parts Prince Albert and have found a smoke I can really enjoy. By blending Celtic Talisman with Prince Albert I still have a wonderful aromatic room note and toned down the blast of aromatic flavor to a very enjoyable smoking experience. The side benefit is that a 50 g. tin with last much longer this way. I really enjoy this tobacco and feel it deserves 4 stars but since I find it too strong a flavor right out of the tin I am knocking it down to 3 stars.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is good and pleasant tobacco for almost every occasion. When tin is opened, it has rich and tempting aroma, but when smoked, its aroma is not to strong. Maybe it is not my favorite style - I like more stronger, spicier tobaccos - however, from time to time this blend is excellent change.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My least favorite of SG aromatics. It has that lakeland smell like a candle and tastes as such. It was their for my craving and now it tastes like incense.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

It was interesting to see how SG would do a cherry aromatic. I must confess the result is quite a successful mixture, provided you hold nothing against cherry-flavored blends. It will not astound VA purists or latakia devotees, but they would not bother to buy if they read the tin description anyway.

For an aromatic smoker, Celtic Talisman might be a step towards the English-tinged aromatics (you might be at risk of ending up with Grousemoor though, so be warned..). It gives no tongue bite and the cherry flavor is really of the 'natural' kind compared to many other cherry blends, although it is still an additive. I could still smell cherries in the room I had smoked this in two days after.

I was recommended to try the Talisman for breaking in new pipes, a job which it did good. I found myself enjoying it from time to time for less practical reasons as well, as it's simply a nice fragrant smoke, good for the change of pace. Nothing extremely special, but worth 3 stars for its quality among other mixtures of the kind.