Bright Virginias, burley and black cavendish with a dash of kirsch and vanilla gives Celtic its light and aromatic personality.

BrandSamuel Gawith

2.7
Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium to Strong Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First of all, let me remind my fellow Americans that it is "Seltick" Talisman like the basketball team in Boston or Glasgow's second-best soccer club, not "Keltick" like we were uneducated young hipsters in a Portlandia sketch.

Secondly, I must qualify my remarks by saying that I detest aromatic blends. But I generally enjoy most of the Samuel Gawith blends I have smoked, and I enjoy trying new things, and so here I am with a very fresh new tin of CT delivered last night.

After two bowls, I must admit CT is a very pleasant surprise. Upon opening, the aroma is sweet, unidentifiable, and overpowering. I was almost afraid to smoke it. I expected it to be a goopy mess, but it was in fact a little on the dry side. It lights easily and requires little effort to keep going. I am normally sensitive to tongue bite, but no tongue bite here. It left only a dry powdery ash in the bottom of my cob.

The smoke tastes exactly like the aroma. If you don't care for the flavoring, too bad. The underlying burley is bland and may not satisfy fans of Virginias or English blends.

The nicotine dose is a typically healthy Sam Gawith buzz. Plenty of Vitamin N to satisfy you.

The biggest selling point may be that it has the most pleasant room note I've ever encountered. This is a great smoke to enjoy in public or around nonsmokers.

I've never bought a second tin of an aromatic, but I will be going back for more Celtic Talisman.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Probably just a month or two...

Purchased From: That online store...

Chimney1966 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chimney1966 (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Since a long time, my first re-encounter with Samuel Gawith products. During early 1990s I found three of Samuel Gawith products in their line excellent value for money (one which was Commonwealth Mixture although too strong for beginner, another was more suitable, the Squadron Leader, and third was a fairly flavoured one). Then I thought, Samuel Gawith tobacco is always worth of the money and never let you down... (If they had done the same way last 200 years, they certainly can not be wrong)

Some time ago I heard that they had new tobacco, and finally local importer got some of it, the new Celtic Talisman... Old memories about excellent quality tobacco, kept expectations high as I opened the tin...

Indeed.., high quality tobacco and high quality cut, British certainly know how to cut the tobacco (instead of Scandinavian's too thin "shag"), and that contributes a lot to excellent burning characteristics, as will not burn too hot.

I found the tobacco in fresh tin too moist (as had also been the case with other SG products nearly 20 years ago), and had to let small amount of tobacco to dry for sometime. About 10 minutes after handling the tobacco, the cherry casing reminded about its existence, and although mild, fairly persistent...

I used my Peterson 303 system pipe (one without filter) to assess this tobaco, and first notice was that pleasant tobacco to handle, and easy to pack into the bowl. First layer loose, second more dense and third layer firmly pressed.

Lighted with first match (but needed after a while another flame to relight), although tobacco was still bit moist, did not have any attempt to bite, and not temperamential at all. Really well behaving tobacco, and remainded truly pleasant smoking experience... Afterwards.., I noticed that from first impression of relatively mild taste and feel, turned out later with fairly good nicotine kick, and that occured about 15 minutes after had finished the bowl...

Later experiences... Noticed that Celtic Talisman did not leave any sticky substance in the bowl of my 303, but fairly persistent "cherry perfume" appeared to 303 while finished the whole tin, and needed several bowls of another tobacco to be used before faded away from the pipe.

The Celtic Talisman tobacco should be allowed to dry slightly, as it improves while keeping it in tobaccopouch for while, moist tobacco fresh from tin will not burn well, and might even pack too tight into the bowl, if not careful.

Ladies liked the room note, although I mainly prefered to smoke outside. Apparently this is the type of tobacco with satisfies both the smoker as well as the others. Nowdays a certain way to get a favourable attention...

But one thing to remeber..., dedicate some aromatic pipe for this tobacco, as it really remains in the pipe some time afterwards...

Excellent high quality tobacco, neat tin and good value for money. This is the pipe tobacco which can be recommenned to those who like to impress ladies with "good taste" in selecting pipe tobacco. It is tobacco which never let you down... One additional masterpiece from Samuel Gawith...

Full four stars **

Mild Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Certainly, the tobacco quality is good, but the casing is not, this blend tastes like strawberry chewing gum, I regularly smoke and love heavy aromatic blends, there is some balance to be respected when adding fruit syrup to tobacco, this blend is, IMO, completely imbalanced and was a waste of money.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (52)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is the first sam gawith tobacco i have tried and i have to say im impressed very much. First of all i have a soft spot for aromatics, always have always will. Im glad sam gawith have gone the european aro route were delightful flavourings are added to great tobacco and both work together in harmony. Anywho opening the tin its a tart cherry and i swear i can smell rhubarb. The tobacco is very thick ribbons which pack and light easily. The cherry and vanilla flavours although they are there they arent in your face. And they work extremely well with the flavours of the virginia and burley. But this is an aro with balls. I wouldnt recommend this too total novices as the nic can creep up on you. All in all a great tobacco especially if you like a good aromatic baccy.

Update 8th may 2014. I would like to add some side notes to this review. I still class this as a four star tobacco but during my time smoking i have learned a few things. Packing must be just right not to compact as due to the tobaccos moistness will not smoke at all and not too loose as it will smoke rather too well and become hot and bitter fairly quick.

But once you have the packing right, the extra work care and attention this tobacco needs makes it all the more worth it. It is a truely delightful smoke.

People looking for a heavily cased american candy store aromatic wont find it here, it is in the same tradition of european aromatics very virginia and burley foreward with a dose of black cav to carry the flavours. The said virginia and burley taste wonderful as there flavours come and go during the smoke, the cherry is there to complement the flavoura not override them. I say cherry as i dont really get the vanilla but its no bad thing as the flavours i detect are more than satisfying.

The style of the aromatic as ive said is a european aromatic, think along the same lines as borkum riff, your looking at roughly 60%virginia/burley with the rest being cavendish.

To sum up my review and side notes, i think sam gawith have took the aromatic and reinvented it. There is enough tobacco flavour to keep the purist happy but also just enough added flavour to compliment the tobacco and keep the aromatic fan happy. The best thing about the tobacco is even though it takes the extra work care and attention is it pays dividends in the bucket load when you have it right. Yes it can be a pain but the fact that the extra work needed pays off so fabulously is the reason i havent downgraded the score. When it goes right it is an absolutely stunning smoke and has earned its four stars from me solidly.

Update 27th of may 2014.

I know this review may seem long winded and for that i appologise but i do like to share my discoveries which i feel makes an excellent tobacco better. Yesterday i went to the seaside ajd given it was a nice day i thought id take my pipe and the last of my celtic talisman. I carried it in my dual pipe and tobacco pouch. Anywho i had the bowl and the remnants that were left were about half a bowls worth. I planned when i got home to transfer the half bowls worth back to its little airtight tub. Well i forgot and tidying up this morning seeing my pipe pouch i took a look at the tobacco it had dried considerably. It was almost crunchy and was about to throw it away but something told me to pack and light and im glad i did. It was delicious the cherry was a touch subdued and the tobaccos fkavours were star attraction, zesty sweetness from the virginias and a touch of burley nuttyness meld that together with the tartness of the added cherry and you are onto an utterly exceptional smoke. That drying out although not intentional did it wonders. So i you find celtic talisman try it as is and then dried and im sure you will agree the resultsare exceptional as the drying time in my oppinion will make it a tobacco that will please the aro fan and pure tobacco flavour fans alike.

Pipe Used: falcon bent with alco algiers bowl

Purchased From: specialist whisky and cigar merchant pitlochrie scotland

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Bright Virginias, Burley and Black Cavendish with a dash of Cherry and Vanilla flavoring. The Virginia is typical Gawith deep Lakeland style and the Burley was somewhat toasty in presentation. The light Cherry/Vanilla infused Black Cavendish made the overall presentation fun and not at all aromatic in the "American" style. I really like this blend.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (138)

This is a great aromatic blend. The first one that I have found that I have really enjoyed. Opening the tin, I could smell the cherry as I opened the paper. It was a little moist so I let it sit out and decided to load another pipe with Black House. The casing at this point must have gotten on my fingers and it bleed over into a topping on Black House. Those of you who like Lat. and a good aro just think about Black House with cherry flavor over the profile but not overpowering it! What a treat and it was there for about the first 1/3 of the bowl. Anyway, back to CT. Loading was simple lighting was surprisingly simple too. Cherry at the match and cherry was about all I could taste. Oddly, while I normally like to taste the tobacco this was rather enjoyable. To get to the vanilla flavor I had to back way off and sip lightly and slowly. Then there was a faint cherry-vanilla flavor much like a cherry-vanilla coke. It smokes dry too! So well I did something with CT that I have never tried with any other aro. When the bowl was gone I just loosened the fine grey-white ash and dumped it and while the pipe was still warm loaded a second bowl. No need to run a cleaner down it just load and go. This bowl too smoked completely dry! Oh and I should also say that it tastes just exactly like how I remember my great-grandfather's pipe smelled. It took my back to my earliest childhood memory and kept me there for the whole bowl. Thanks SG for the great trip down memory lane!

Now for the lack of the 4th star. I smoked this for three days at night as my primary blend and had went through a little more then 1/2 of the tin but had to leave town and so I came back to it a week later. I am not sure if the tin lid does not fit well or what but that fabulous flavor of deep cherry was gone. Could this be why they never have released it as a bulk buy? I am going to buy another tin and jar what I will not smoke in a week as soon as the tin is opened to see if that will hold the casing better. If it will this blend is worth the extra effort and I will increase the rating to 4 stars. If not I would still recommend it to other cherry lovers.

Update 8/6/17 . . . The jar idea works very well. It will keep that fabulous deep flavor. No need to look further for a cherry blend (although I know I will). This is well worth the extra effort. Upgrading to 4 stars as stated above.

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

This aromatic blend differs a lot from the other S. Gawith's blends.when you open it you instantly get cherry and the base of burley and virginia is not detected to me.a bit moist but no drying is required.needs a few lights burns medium.the flavours are balanced between the topping(vanilla is really on the backround) and virginias.also a nuttyness comes out if you go hard on it.the nicotine level is low so you can start your day with it.leaves the proper moist.for me it's recommended not highly though.i have also to add that the flavour is natural though the room note is very tense.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (52)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

In one of his radio interviews, Bob Gregory mentioned that Celtic Talisman was a mistake - someone mixed a batch of something wrong, and then they sold it.

I guess it's popular, since they still make it, but it tastes like a food chemistry experiment gone wrong. The flavors come off as lab-grown to an extreme, the worst of the cherry cough drop taste that I hate from childhood. Any tobacco flavor is buried under sweet aromatics.

Somebody out there loves this, more power to 'em. Hobbit's Weed makes for a far better cherry aromatic if you're looking for one.

Pipe Used: various

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)

Only an inveterate and longtime hater of cherry aros can truly appreciate this cherry-flavored blend from SG. Because there is no tonguebite, the cherry flavor is not chemo-toxic or overwhelming, and allows you to appreciate the fine baseline tobacco, (i.e., not strongly or grossly cased to conceal the taste of cheap tobacco). The room note and aroma are the best in aroland, imo. The strength is accordingly mild to medium, and does not "turn" on you as the bowl progresses. Smokes very smooth and down to a fine clean ash, which in itself is notable for an aro. I normally smoke aros once a month or so, but am developing a hankering for getting deeper and deeper in this new (to me) blend. There are a relatively few aromatics that I consider quality aros: Sillems Black, Dan's Blue Note, and W.O. Larsen's Old Fashioned, 1864 and Signature. Now CT goes to the top of that list.

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)

I'm fairly new at smoking a pipe, still learning the "do's" and dont's. I basically picked this blend purely out of a gamble to try a tinned tobacco (something new). I am still experimenting, so I haven't decided what type of tobacco I'm most partial to yet. Upon first opening the can, the tobacco smelled very sweet, a little bitter and very cherry, it was also very moist to touch, so I decided to put the lid back on it and let it dry for a bit. About a week later I went down to the man-cave (basement), where I usually smoke and decided to check the tin. The tobacco had dried considerably and the sweetness wasn't nearly as strong. The bitter cherry smell from before had subdued and now smelled a bit like baked cherry pie, very appetizing. I loaded up the Barontini Bulldog, using the 3 step method and lit up. 1st light was mostly all Va and I couldn't really detect the cherry or vanilla at all. 2nd light up and she was off and running. I detected more of the Va and maybe the burley, which faded quickly and as the smoke progressed, the cherry started coming through, but subtly and the pipe stayed lit with no problem. I never really got the vanilla I have read about on the other posts, but then again, my pallette is probably not as refined as other more experienced pipe smokers. It was a very good, mellow smoke. The cherry infusion was nice and subtle and the tobacco flavor was delicious. The nicotine hit was nice and the room note was quite pleasant. This blend didn't bite either, so I will be buying this tobacco again in the future.

Pipe Used: Cesare Barontini Bulldog

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.com

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Medium Very Strong Medium Strong

Whoa. Not what I was expecting, don't really know what to think about this odd duck.

High quality, well presented, clearly the tobacco is refined and what not. I just could not get over the flavoring on this. Its, well, its so so strange. I imagine this is an old recipe, and remains unchanged for a long time, so why does the aroma remind me of Jolly Rancher Watermellon mixed with some sort of women's lipstick, mixed with strawberry jam. Its hilariously sweet, I couldn't taste the tobacco in the background, all I got were plumes and plumes of perfume coming from it.

To be fair, again, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and just a guy who smokes a lot of different types. Maybe this is a type of tobacco that just doesn't do it for me, I just cannot see how this could be considered a good smoke.

Pass.

Pipe Used: Custom Poker

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Samuel Gawith - Celtic Talisman.

The aroma of the unlit tobacco is brilliant as it's a good balance of the tobaccos and the aromatics. The ribbons are very enticing and they have a great moisture level. It takes to the flame with ease and the smoke is sublime. I get a really nice taste of sweet black Cavendish which is complemented by the cherry. The vanilla requires a little extra attention as it is much less pre eminent than the cherry but can be identified if tried for. Nicotine level is about that of their Black Cherry and the room-note is also very sweet with a good cherry touch. As usual Sam Gawith does not disappoint!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Britains Best Briar

Purchased From: Smoke King

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff smells great in the tin and the room note is pleasant. It doesn't bite and it smokes cool and dry. The cherry and vanilla taste is very subtle. There are better blends available so I'm undecided whether to get more tins and put it into my regular rotation.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

ORIGINAL: 2-28-08: This is a light, tangy, cherry aromatic. Not the thick arificial cherry flavoring common in so many blends, but something more akin to a fresh-off-the-tree cherry tang. I've actually picked quite a few cherries off the tree over the years for fresh eating and for pies so I know of what I speak.

Not one hint of the Lakeland Floral Essence (thank goodness) that Sam Gawith feels that they must add to everything else they make.

The cherry essence is very light, but that is what helps make this blend a success and keeps it from being goopy or sickeningly artificial like cherry blends can be sometimes.

The nutty burley notes support and add more character to the smoke, along with a light to medium VA strength. There is mild tobacco taste and nicotine here, but those wanting a strong tobacco need not bother. This blend is not strong and doesn't claim to be, nor is there any Latakia or Perique.

It's a light, fruity, cherry-nut top noted tobacco that is very well done. Blond and brown VAs with a little black cavendish. Great tin note and the room note is a winner for everyone nearby. A very refreshing part of my current rotation.

No bite or gurggle and smokes like a dream. Love it!

Not your usual Cherry Aromatic,

4 Stars!

UPDATE: 3-10-08: After the tin has been opened for a few days the Cherry aroma, both from the tin and while smoking, has improved and developed nicely. Defintely top notch among the genre of Cherry blends.

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

Celtic Talisman is an agreeable Danish style aromatic (sweet pastry, vanilla, Christmas pudding etc.) with the addition of light cherry touch.

It is mild in strength and burns nicely with a few minutes of drying time. In the mouth it has some acridness in addition to the sweetness as most Danish style aromatics do and room note is quite nice for people who tolerate tobacco.

It is a nice aromatic, but nothing exceptional like say, Firedance which I find exquisite and would recommend even to people who do not smoke aromatics. Quite similar to 2013 Samuel Gawith special edition which does not have the cherry however but overall not quite as good. Recommended for smokers who enjoy Danish blends. 2.5 stars.

Similar Blends: 2013 Samuel Gawith Special Edition, Danish blends.

Brandr ODS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brandr ODS (15)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

The first aromatic I’ve ever smoked from Samuel Gawith.

I have to admit it, I was more captivated from the name chosen for the blend than from the content of the tin itself… it happens, out of sheer curiosity I suppose : sometimes it pays off, others don’t.

This time didn’t.

Upon opening the tin, a heavyweight boxing champion hits your nose with a quick one-two, best known as Cherry-Vanilla. The golden bright colour of the leaves is very nice and both by looking and touching you can feel a high quality basic product.

The topping in this was so heavy I could’t detect anything else beside it, literally. Five months ago I came back to it (a 3yo tin) and had a final bowl : the cherry ghost was still there, as strong as the first day! I couldn’t believe my nose.

In the bowl it behaves a little better : cherry and vanilla flavours soften and leave space for a nice, tasty smoke, which you may really enjoy if you are looking for a juicy, fruity, zero attention demanding, mono-dimensional blend.

Uniform combustion. Lights with a couple of matches prior some drying. White fine ashes and enjoyable room note, ideal if you want impress the people around you, even in outdoor condition.

I prefer other offerings from Samuel Gawith.

Cheers Everyone, Brandr ODS

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 3yo

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I will not tell lies, i love aromatics as much as english blends. Everytime i read someone starts a review with the phrase "I must say im not an aromatic lover" it literally means that the person still lives closeted. A pipe smoker may like both english blends and aromatics the same, IF they are good. And lets be honest "Celtic Talisman" is an excellent aromatic. To like an aromatic doesnt make you less of a man. Just probably a bit of a dreamer.

Samuel Gawith doesnt play with over casing nor sickening sweet things, they create aromatics with the old tradition that brings the spirit of tobacco into play with the many variations and subtleties, not hiding excellence behind a mantle of artificial flavours, this product is no exception to this tradition. This is not a product from the candy store even though the smell from the tin is potent and may prevent you from been overly sweet, this is just apparent.

Scents of cherry and liquor along with honey and mint are present upon opening. This tobacco tends to get really dry so soon once left out of the tin, and this is crucial, since if it becomes too dry it looses a great proportion of its taste and delicacy, so i suggest to let it a little humid, ive tried both dry, semi dry and totally humid.

Upon lightning the tobacco comes with a medium range taste, the burley works its major play. In the mouth is sweet but in the nose is fruity, nutty and a bit tingy. Virginias never go wild, they are very well controlled by both the cavendish and the burley. This first stage progress into something with more character, a bit robust, is clear that the central role is played by the burley and both the virginias and the cavendish are there to play around as diverting notes perhaps as a resemblance of some Kirsch liquor and marraschino cherries all along. By the middle of the bowl, it becomes more and more "adult" less sugary and way more nutty with an amplification of the cavendish that now adds its more alcaline note with a faint taste of liquor while the burley and virginias becomes the pivot. By the end it is all creamy, very creamy like, as some kind of cherry cake taste but with all the nic kick from burleys and their appeased acidity controlled by cavendish.

It is a good smoke from start to finish with very good tonalities and variations. Not an aromatic for beginners and certainly not for the ones who love over casing and overhelming toppings a la Mclellands. This is the old school!

Top! meditative and mysterious blend for the contemplative soul. Always in my cellar.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I received a generous sample of this as part of a swap with a friend. I cannot comment on the version straight from the tin, but the tobacco seemed to have been kept very well, so I cant imagine too many differences being present. I requested this sample in order to broaden my aromatic tastes.

The note of this tobacco from the pouch I received it in is absolutely heavenly. Sweet, rich, summery bright Cherry & Vanilla in perfect harmony. It smells just wonderful.

The cut is a ribbon-cut with the standard gamut of colours present in an aromatic, bits of Cavendish, Burley & Bright Virginias vying for attention in a pleasant-looking blend.

The moisture content of my sample was perfect. The tobacco packed easily & took the light like a dream. The burn was steady & only a couple of relights were required.

The taste is very, very nice. The Cherry is the dominant flavour at the beginning of the bowl, but the Vanilla builds as the bowl progresses, dominating in the last third of the bowl. The tobacco is definitely present, but an times is completely dominated by the toppings. This can burn hot if pushed, and if this happens, it can snap at the tongue, so caution should be exercised.

The room note is extremely pleasant, and the tobacco is mild/medium in nicotine (possibly more medium than mild - a plus for an aromatic to me).

I'm going to give it 3 stars, it's nice, and I've enjoyed it. I may obtain some for future consumption, but I'm not really a confirmed aro-man yet, so wish to broaden my tastes before I commit any cash (I have several other generous samples yet to comment on). The detrimental points were that the tobacco was occasionally smothered by the flavouring (as opposed to working with it) & it can bite. I may simply request it in future trades. An added bonus is that it didn't gloop up my pipe.

Pipe Used: Dr. Plum small billiard

Age When Smoked: New (I guess)

Purchased From: Friend

Similar Blends: Nothing else I have smoked.

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin, smelled similar to Grousemoor, but not the same. Somewhat confusing smell. Lighting it up, great smell and just the perfect amount of aroma. One of the best aromatic tobaccos I have smoked. Much better, much tolerable than Grousemoor

Edit: I could not finish the tin. Far from perfect. Still too strongly aromatic for me. But still better than Grousemoor

Pipe Used: Vauen Ascot

meerschaum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerschaum (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Blending artistry of the highest level. The blenders chose some top tobaccos to create this blend and then added some fantastically balanced cherry-vanilla flavors. All together I get a nice, smooth, smoke with the addition of a steady cream and cherry candy flavor which keeps me interested and never irritates my taste buds. This tobacco packs well, burns well and in my case needed no drying. It has a divine Room Note.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum and Rattrays

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The first SG I plan to buy again. Done how an aro should be done. What I mean is, you can actually taste the topping without straining and the tobacco underneath is full and of good quality. Doesnt seem to have the excessive PG/Humectant of other SG blends - but it's there. Does not taste of cherry or vanilla to me. It is unmistakeably raspberry. Very similar to Mac Barens 7 Seas red, another cherry-come-raspberry which I prefer slightly, as the 7 seas topping is just that little bit stronger and lasts all the way to the end of the bowl. The SG has slightly better tobacco but the MB has the slightly stronger flavor, so for an aromatic 7 seas wins by a hair. Would have preferred a flake. If only Firedance topping was done like this...

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I got this tobacco as a recommendation from a tobacconist. I was extremely disappointed. Out of the tin, the tobacco is extremely wet, and the smell is strong and "synthetic" (artificial) in nature. It proved to be an impossible challenge to keep lit, so I stopped smoking it after a few attempts. I will try again in the future, just to give it another chance, but so far it's on the last place in my preference list.

Withnail Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Withnail (16)

I have been working my way through the SG range of blends and I have enjoyed most of those I have tried. This is no exception. There is a nice hint of cherry when you open the tin, but not enough to overpower the tobacco.

The hint of cherry carries over into the smoke when you light this tobacco. The taste of good quality tobacco, typical of all their blends, mixes very nicely with a gentle flavour of cherry and a hint of vanilla. The taste remains pretty much the same until you reach the end of the bowl, when it becomes slightly less aromatic and more tobacco flavours come through.

Not as strong as many aromatics, but I like that as it allows the tobacco to blend in with the flavour. I will certainly be keeping a tin on hand so I can enjoy this on a regular basis.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ever wonder what would happen if you blended a Gawith tobacco with some cherry and black cavendish? Well, you'd get this.

The tin note is chemical and awful, and might bring to mind children's cough syrup. This will cause you to lower your expectations, and if you lower them enough you might enjoy this.

It's a blend predominantly of Burley, I think, and cavendish. The taste of cherry is far more muted in the bowl and actually agreeable, taken for what it is. It tops a rather dry, nutty Burley taste unlikely to impress or offend. I wouldn't know there was any Vanilla in this if the tin description didn't say so, but I thought I tasted a whiff of vanilla halfway down the bowl.

Someone somewhere wrote that this tobacco reinvents the aromatic. I don't know quite what that means. I'll say this: I did actually taste a bit of cherry in it, and the tobacco had a touch of vitamin N as well. And it didn't bite. In those three ways, the tobacco pleasantly surprised me.

I didn't hate it. But it didn't convert me to aromatics.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

It is interesting to try to consider this in relation to other popular aromatics, like those from Dan Tobacco or Boswell. My own experience is that this really strikes a balance between the two, and goes to the top of the list as a result. It does not bite like Dan aromatics, for example, and it is not as heavily cased. On the other hand, it is a much more robust smoke than Boswell blends, and packs more of a tobacco and nicotine wallop. This strikes just the right chord to me. I respect Boswell products, but they are too light for my tastes. Many other aromatics are simply too hot with poor burning characteristics and questionable tobacco flavor to be enjoyable. That is not the case here.

The tobacco, as noted above, is a tasty blend of virginias with burley and cavendish. I find the mixture to be very balanced. It is not goopy in the least, and does not befoul your pipe. Others have noted the dominance of the burley. I am not sure I would go that far, but the virginias are definitely subdued, which gives this its cool burning characteristics. It is a rubbed out shag type cut in the tin, but I still rub it out a little more. If you are getting bit by this blend, you are not letting it dry out enough, and smoking too fast. It is very cool with no bite if dried properly and not puffed like a maniac.

The flavor is rich tobacco with an overtone of cherry. I can taste the virginias and cavendish, and plumes of smoke are produced. This can be a strong smoke. It is nothing like Gawith's stronger flakes, but it is also nothing like a truly mild blend. If you put it in a large bowl and smoke the whole thing in one shot, you are going to feel the nicotine. I like that, and that is often what I find missing from milder aromatic blends.

Not to sound like a broken record, but the smoking experience here is really dictated by the level of moisture when you light up. If you smoke it right out of your tin or at "storage level" you are not going to get the full, subtle flavor of the tobacco, and it is going to burn hot, and probably bite your tongue. If you let it dry to the touch, it lights more readily, burns very evenly, and will provide you with a rich, cool, and lasting smoke.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)

curiosity got me on this one. I dont do many aro's. fresh out of the tin, can bite a lil. taste of cherry and vanilla in harmony with the virginia. I will have to try some firedance now.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)

Tried this a little while ago and bought several tins, thouroughly loved it, then suddenly, as if a switch had been thrown, went off it, I now have four tins sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Most likely there is nothing wrong with the tobacco, I'm sure it's just me, I was probably craving something sweet, and this was it, now craving over, back to the usual, whatever that is. I still have an open tin which I take the odd bowl from occassionaly, but still, a little on the sweet side for my palate at the moment, maybe in a few months time ?

If your looking for a a sweetish tobacco, thats mild and easy to smoke without being a cavendish and not quite a pure Virginia, this could be a good choice.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)
Mild Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

While, I found the room not and tin note pleasing , I was under whel ed by the flavor. I experienced some tongue bit, which is a rare occurrence for me from any type of tobacco. There are many fine aeros, and this is not one of them.

cynicomen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cynicomen (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Tin: Very dessert smelling, with a tart cherry smell, very much like Gawith's Black Cherry aromatic. The vanilla compliments it perfectly. One of the best tin notes out there.

Packing/lighting: Does not come too moist like most SG blends, so no need to dry this one out. As a result, it packs and lights easily. This blend also did not bite, which for aromatics is a very good thing.

Strength: This was a very pleasant surprise. Most aromatics are designed to be very mild, which isn't very satisfying to smoke. Some people describe these mild blends of tasting like "hot air". However, this has some body to it and the strength of a Virginia/Burley, but it is still an aromatic. As you get towards the bottom of the bowl you sometimes forget that you're smoking an aromatic.

Taste/Room note: This is one of the more flavourful aros out there, just don't expect to only taste cherry and vanilla. I would describe it as a medium taste, as its a lot richer than your average aromatic but the taste fades quickly, and doesn't linger on the palate. The topping is detectable and it is mild. It gives the blend a pleasant sweetness and it is not too sickly. The room note of course, is fantastic.

Final thoughts:

I had been looking for "that" aromatic for a while, and I think I've finally found it. According to a radio interview with Bob Gregory of Samuel Gawith, this blend was made by mistake. Well, what a brilliant mistake it was...

Overall, what you're essentially getting is a sweet/dessert like Virginia/Burley. Perfect. I would recommend this to fans of aromatics who want to try something a bit different and a bit stronger. On the other hand, I will also recommend this to non-aromatic smokers who are looking for an aromatic to satisfy the smoker as well as the people around them.

Like: Everything. This is an extremely satisfying blend and can easily be an everyday smoke for a daily pipe smoker.

Dislike: Nothing thus far!

Pipe Used: Erik Nording Freehand

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

aksamolsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aksamolsa (20)

Another fine aromatic by Samuel Gawith. I am currently into Latakia but I almost felt sorry when the tin is empty. It is a good blend with nothing extreme or intense. Just rounded up for a general -in a good way- smoking experience.

Phils Galore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phils Galore (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I purchased a tin of this four years ago and tried it in several briars. In every case I found the cherry flavour overpowering and artificial with no tobacco flavour; so I put the remaining tobacco into an Atlas pressure top jar and forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago I decided to give it one more chance. It has benefitted from the three years rest in what I now suspect was not a totally air tight container. The cherry flavouring has diminished and I can now taste the vanilla as well as the virginia and burley. Glad I didn't toss it out! It has a pleasant enough room note. Others have commented that this blend needs to dry out a bit. My experience seems to confirm this. If you like virginia/burley based aromatics , this may light your fire.

Pipe Used: various briars

Purchased From: Victory Cigars, Oshawa

Gig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gig (14)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I was looking for a cherry aromatic and I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire a sample and try this blend. The smell on opening the sample pack was a beautiful and rich strawberry/cherry and vanilla scent which I found very nice. At first I didn't know whether to smoke this blend or chew it, its smelled so inviting. I packed this blend into a medium bowl 314 Peterson System Standard pipe using the Frank method. Made the initiating light and was greeted with a very strong strawberry/cherry taste. Not unpleasant but very sweet. Tampered and lit again and it continued with the strong sweet taste till about a third of the bowl then it quieted down and the vanilla tones came out. Yes this blend definitely has a rich casing but the quality tobacco still came through. The sample tobacco in my opinion had the correct moisture level, just right and it smoked to a nice grey ash to the bottom without any goopiness. At no time did this blend smoke hot or in my opinion overpowering or boring but if you don't like heavier aromatics or cherry blends I wouldn't recommend it but if you do enjoy :)

Pipe Used: 314 Peterson System Standard

Pipenick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipenick (27)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Got the a tin as a gift.I don't smoke much aromatics but it's Gawith's blend and usually I like SG blends so when I got home I took my bent Falcon and filled a rustic Bulldog bowl with Celtic Talisman.After few puffs I got the cherry vanilla toping and it was just too sweet.Finished the bowl and next day filled a Savi's Hercules Bulldog and it was same result.Absolutely too aromatic to my taste. Gave the tin to a mate of mine who's in aro's and he loved it. The tin note-ok.The moist level okay as most of the times when we're talking about SG blends. To a person who'll love aromatics this might the choice..I don't know but as I said before mate of mine who's been smoking mostly aromatics had another thoughts about it.

Pipe Used: Falcon and Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

Purchased From: from a fried

Guillaume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guillaume (15)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Although I am a big fan of BBF and Chocolate Flake, this one disappointed me a lot: the cherry flavour (even if non-smokers around me find it great) definitely tastes too chemical.

This is something I will not buy again.

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin "Extra" and some clay pipes

Purchased From: Aston's in Manchester

Similar Blends: Bubble-gum :-/.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I couldn't taste either vanilla or cherry. It was impossible to keep lit longer than a couple of minutes. This is the first tobacco that has ever irritated my nose and throat.

Room note is just smoke.

I only bought a 10g sample of this, for which I'm glad now. I'll retry it on another day, but I'm definitely not buying more of it.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not sure what to write about this one. The tobaccos are classy, but the flavouring somehow doesn't fit my taste. From the first sniff on I compared this to fabric cleaner or washing powder, t does smell absolutely okay - but not for something you want to puff. Bronze-brown ribbon cut tobacco, very moist in the tin, packs a bit too compact, so it needs some drying. Not really "cherry" - it has a tin aroma that reminds me of fruit gums, or like Wrigley's Juicy Fruit. The smoke leaves a dry feel on the tongue - it actually dries out the complete mouth. The room aroma is okay. Taste and smell are quite far away from each other: it tastes bitter, and a bit like cheap booze. The smell is acceptable, though artificial. It provides enough Nic that you don't want to smoke another bowl for a while. It's not a full-flavoured mixture, but brings natural sweetness. I'm happy to finish the tin soon. Will not revisit this again. 2 of 5 stars. Not your typical aromatic.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I agree with fruktflugan's review below word-for-word. I'll only supplement it with three adjectives of my own: hot, harsh & chemical.

Maybe we got a bad batch, because it's difficult to believe SG would intentionally release a disaster like this.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

I was a little leary about the cherry topping, since I had some previous bad experiences with such blends. I must say that this one smells of black cherry in the tin. This also translates to the aroma and taste as well. I must say that this blend has some great components along with just the right about of cherry topping to make this one of the best blends I have smoked thus far. This burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. Upon opening the tin, it did seem rather moist, but didn't deter from this fine blend at all. It has virtually no gurgling associated with some of the more mudane OTC blends available here in America. It produces a nice amount of smoke. There is no tongue bite at all in this very fine blend. I would definitely recommend this to the new smoker as well as the long time piper looking for a change of pace from their normal rotation.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)

This is quality tobacco. A wonderful experience to experience a cherry flavored tobacco done "right" by a master blender. A delightful amount of "blonde" virginia with some black cav interspersed in a form pillowlike tin pack of ready rubbed tobacco. Like another reviewer commented, the cut is perfect. It was a bit moist, but a few minutes of "on paper over the lightbulb" drying made its moisture level perfect.

Not strong at all, and with a bit of difficulty achieving a voluminous smoke, it did occasionally disappoint, but the flavor is there, and most importantly (and most often lacking in cherry blends), one could actually taste the cherry in the smoke, not just smell it.

No bite, even when puffing like a madman.

Quality leaf, and I'll be smoking more of this.

ChevySpoons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChevySpoons (6)

I was't sure what to expect from this tobacco. It was a bit of an impulse purchase--I was looking for something aromatic that I hadn't tried before, and the tobacconist suggested Celtic Talisman. So I tried it.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. It is a little wet when the tin is opened, but left to dry out for a bit, it packs nicely and takes a light easily.

As for the smoking, the topping is there, but not overpowering. There is enough tobacco flavour to satisfy, and the room aroma is agreeable to friends and family. The description of this as a "dessert tobacco" is apt, though I could see this as a nice "morning tobacco" as well. Recommended.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

It is good and pleasant tobacco for almost every occasion. When tin is opened, it has rich and tempting aroma, but when smoked, its aroma is not to strong. Maybe it is not my favorite style - I like more stronger, spicier tobaccos - however, from time to time this blend is excellent change.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Pleasant

It was interesting to see how SG would do a cherry aromatic. I must confess the result is quite a successful mixture, provided you hold nothing against cherry-flavored blends. It will not astound VA purists or latakia devotees, but they would not bother to buy if they read the tin description anyway.

For an aromatic smoker, Celtic Talisman might be a step towards the English-tinged aromatics (you might be at risk of ending up with Grousemoor though, so be warned..). It gives no tongue bite and the cherry flavor is really of the 'natural' kind compared to many other cherry blends, although it is still an additive. I could still smell cherries in the room I had smoked this in two days after.

I was recommended to try the Talisman for breaking in new pipes, a job which it did good. I found myself enjoying it from time to time for less practical reasons as well, as it's simply a nice fragrant smoke, good for the change of pace. Nothing extremely special, but worth 3 stars for its quality among other mixtures of the kind.