Blended, flue-cured Golden Virginias, pressed and matured. Cut to form a broken flake which offers a natural sweetness. Medium strength.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Sam Gawith Golden Glow . This one seems to get a mixed reaction , but at the end of the day our tastes are subjective ! I personally find this enchanting . As previously stated it is more like ribbons than a broken flake but I find that to be a positive as it does not necessitate a lot of rubbing if given some time to dry a little . Unlit it gives a very orthodox Virginia aroma . It is unproblematic to light and burns very evenly . The smoke is of a flawless formation . Also I get no bite from it .The smoke is not too hot and it has a pleasing Nicotine content . Would make a great summertime smoke , I really enjoy this one ! The only negative point is that it requires a little extra airing time .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

TattooGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TattooGuy (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have introduced myself in the Virginia's world with this one. I've smoked a few aros, some was not bad. I have tried one or two english blends, maybe too much complexity for me to appreciate as a novice pipe smoker. Then my tobacconist recommanded me this particular tobacco. The first time I've smoked SGGG I've said to myself; '' That's it, it will surely never become better than this''... Now I know I was far from the truth but it's still a very good blend. When opening, the tin aromas are really amazing; fresh cut hay, raisins and figs, almost like a good white wine aromas. The smoke do not give the same complexity and stays about the same all the way down but it is a very good easy to smoke bright VA. Very good quality. One I like to have in my rotation. I give it 3 stars.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

This is the fourth or fifth tin in some years, and while I perfectly remember the ribbons in the past, this one has got real broken flakes. And it is also quite smokable without drying. Much better. Taste and strength have both increased in these last years, in my opinion, and the blend is now quite different and better for those who love straight virginia. An interesting smoke, giving its best at the middle of the bow. Quite sweet room notes, and a powerful quantity of nicotine. It used to be a mild to medium strength, but now it is certainly a medium, or more. Overall, excellent for VA lovers, and 3 solid stars also for the fact it does not need drying anymore, and it can be smoked right out of the box.

Pipe Used: lubinsky

Similar Blends: Full Virginia Flake.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

It's been a while since I had an SG tobacco that I've haven't tried yet, or tried not to get my hopes up with. So I approached Golden Glow with a little trepidation, doing what I could not to be as much of an SG fanboy as I know I am. So here goes.

Opening the tin to be greeted by a slightly weird smell of hay, I got flashbacks to my youth, wandering through those farmers fields under a baking sun. The yellowish colour too added in the reminiscence. Not sure I'm completely happy with the whole broken flake idea though, this almost had the look of a sorry mixture of hay and cowpat, as I tried to fish out something to smoke I felt like I was sifting a bull turd for a wedding ring. Still, I've paid for it so I'm going darn well smoke it! The packing was fairly easy, the lighting, not so - it does need a little drying. As for the smoke itself, it's a little queer, a little citrus and a touch of hay pop in and out of a generally nondescript puff of the old leaf, and yet it somehow manages to please. It's inoffensive, doesn't hit the back of the throat or hammer you with any tonguebite, in fact it's incredibly smooth. Like a previous reviewer, I do wonder if it's been spliced with something else, though I picked up a hint of boot polish, aka black cavendish. Might be wrong but there goes.

So, what to make of this little summer frock? Maybe that's exactly what it is, it's like seeing the rather plain girl next door day in day out and then one summer, seeing her step out of the door with a pleasant summer frock and a little slap on her. It just nicely spices her up, makes you look twice and think "Maybe I'm missing something there.". Like her, this tobacco isn't a stunner, but there's a certain pleasantness to it. I've been humming and harring over whether to give this a two or a three star review, now I think that analogy has put it into perspective. Pleasant if not astounding.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

A fresh, bright, friendly VA broken flake with a very light citrus zest unlike OGS or Dunhill Flake. It indeed needs drying. I use it as VA base (also to help slow down the burning process) when I blend my 'house mixture' because it doesn't affect the overall taste. On its own it might be too bland or boring for some smokers (especially those who like English mixtures or heavily cased ones), but let's not forget that this is a pure VA, so WYSIWYG. Still, a Top 30 tobacco which I will be happy to revisit. 4 of 5 stars.

Update February 2013: Finished several tins of this and found that it ages perfectly if you're lucky (depends on humidity and temperature). IMO the best pure VA I have ever smoked, even better (brighter) than FVF and completely pure. Will definitely stay in rotation. Golden Glow is the tinned version of MVF, though the curing method is different (at least the description here on TRs.com says so). So, congratulations Sam: 5 of 5!

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (19)

Samuel Gawith knows how to do Virginia tobacco right. And this one is no exception. The tobacco is a medium golden brown color and the tin note has a nice hay-like sweetness. Absolutely no topping or casings here.

Age it at least 6 months. Then pull enough out for a bowl and let it sit for about a half hour. Rub it out and pack it in your pipe. You'll be in Virginia heaven for the next hour.

Take your time with this and enjoy the rich and bright sweetness with a nice creamy texture and superb aroma. And for those who are put off by the typical Lakeland soapiness, never fear. None of that here. LOVELY!

Pipe Used: 4th Generation

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

Similar Blends: Mac Baren VA#1 and other fine Danish Virginias..

A mild to medium tasting Virginia with all the citrus, hay/straw and grass notes you've come to expect from a lighter leaf. There's not much nicotine here or a lot of depth and complexity either. Smokers who want a strong smoke won't be satisfied with this, except as a change of pace. This is meant to be an all day naturally sweet straight Virginia smoke. It burns slow and easy with a pleasing taste, and ages very well. If you want to buy it in bulk, get a box of Medium Virginia Flake.

artielon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
artielon (6)

Honest "everyplace" round smoot taste, cool and well burning smoke. I could quite well live smoking only this. I took up pipe smoking after a 20 year break and admittedly still have a lot to discover.

Pipe Used: Falcon Coolway with filter

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: Töölön Sikarikauppa Helsinki

Nothing Finer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nothing Finer (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

My first review, so be gentle with me! I usually love SG tobaccos, especially their loose English flakes. SGs Full Virginia Flake is also excellent so I thought I'd try a tin of GG.

I have to say it is probably the worst tobacco I have smoked in nearly 40 years of pipe smoking. I found the aroma from the tin to be horrible and it was hard to keep lit. I'm too old in the tooth to experience tongue bite but I certainly got it with this monster.

I much prefer other pure bright virginias, including those from SG. (Bright CR?)

Does it remind anyone of the worst aspects of Gold Block?

A nice Virginia blend , but I can't help thinking there is some Perique in here. It does have a spice and some strength and it does come too moist to smoke. As I got down to the last 1/3 of the tin, the tobacco improved ( dried some).

Padro89 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padro89 (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

It may be a bit tiresome if you don't have anything else to smoke, but it is a pleasant smoke every now and then -as every other virginias for me. It burns better than other Gawith's tobaccos I've tried, and it's tasty, but it might lack strenght, at least for me.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

This is a Virginia Flake along the lines of the Rattray trio, F&T CVP, Escudo, etc etc.... in other words, my kind of tobacco blend.

Upon opening the tin, i was greeted with that creamy, rich, sour note of my favourite kind of smoke. This tobacco comes VERY wet so it has to be aired out to your personal tastes.

Upon lighting, i experienced a flavourfull, tasty smoke that i found really impressive to say the least. Creamy, oatsy, malty delicious.

For South African Pipesters, Samuel Gawith blends are available at Sturks in Cape Town.

Mo, South Africa

Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is an interesting blend. It smokes wonderfully after drying down to 65%RH and I love the cut. The tin scent is not sweet, raisin-y, or vinegar-y as the typical medium virginias I enjoy; it is more plum-y. The smoke can be a bit acrid and sharp but not every bowl, and not all the way through a bowl typically so it was not bothersome to me. What was most bothersome to me was that it is a little on the bland side, and a little too hay-ish for my taste. In the nose it is much less bland, I sense a decent amount of nicotine and a bit of plum and very little sweetness. Once you get this baby smoking cool you can taste a hint of sweetness, but just a hint. This tobacco is not too sweet by anyone's standards. Overall I prefer my medium virginias to be a bit sweeter and fruitier, and if I want a similar experience I would prefer smoke dorchester, which I personally prefer to this blend by a good margin. Nonetheless this is good tobacco, and I would certainly be very happy with it if I didn't have so very many other medium virginia blends that I personally prefer at my disposal.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

This is one for the Virginia lovers: beautiful golden color, perfect level of moisture, heavenly scent in the tin, no tongue bite, great Virginia flavor. Great when fresh from a four-months-old tin, I plan to put a half dozen tins in the cellar to age for a few years while I enjoy the fresh stuff.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)

Another Samuel Gawith blend to review, awesome!

To this day, I've only had good experiences with SG tobaccos, and this one is not any different. Extremely high quality tobacco as always, and yes, it's quite moist out of the tin, as always. I found that like with most SG tobaccos, letting it air for a few hours does the job nicely.

This one packs easily, burns cool, and does in no way make a mess in your pipe. It's a very well behaved leaf which burns all the way to the end with no problems and no relights. Flavor wise it's fresh, tangy and simply delightful. For me the strength is ideal as an every day smoke, and it's perfect for the spring/summer. But I could seriously smoke this all day as the flavor is consistent throughout the bowl, and because it's so easy to manage and maintain. Absolutely no tongue bite or harshness, even when you puff hard.

Absolutely fantastic smoke.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)

This review will read as a chronicle of my stupidity. You see, I really killed this tobacco. It began with the arrival of a Virginia heavy order. Upon opening about four square Gawith tins (and a couple other brands with similar designs) to sample the contents, I promptly returned the lids to their containers. I'm not sure why I did this, knowing they're prone to air leakage. It's just...I become impetuous when I smoke, like a little kid playing with his new toys under the Christmas tree. Two weeks later all blends were bone dry, and I went about the task of radical rehydration. For each tin, I took a wet paper towel, folded up, stuck one in every receptacle and then wrapped the tins individually in plastic wrap. I returned in two weeks to revel in my industriousness.

The tobacco in every tin was sopping wet, and most were covered in mold. I cursed loudly. An entire tin of Scottish Flake was destroyed, with barely a couple flakes removed. I thought I could salvage Golden Glow, so I set the tobacco atop a sheet of paper, picking out every instance of mold I could see. I claimed victory, and left the tin open to dry a bit before transferring the contents to a mason jar. I returned in another week. To more mold. Well, I repeated the experiment and came again. To more mold. Having picked apart the spore laden leaf this time around, I decided to smoke a bowlful of the affected weed.

Noo, what about highly toxic, virulent mold spores?!! I just didn't care. It had to be done, for science. Relax, whatever brain damage I have was likely the cause of this incident, and not the result. The tobacco tasted like its unaffected half...

Pure, unadulterated, the scent and flavor characteristic of hay, of medium body and nicotine. Golden Glow has a natural disposition, far removed from Full Virginia Flake, with its dark press and molasses-like flavor. What you have here are the high notes, a huge change of pace from Golden Glow's more popular cousin. And the smoke is consistent, it doesn't waver or modulate from top to bottom of the bowl. You expect a bright Virginia would be sugary and bitey, both of which remain foreign to Golden Glow. And though I perceived a lacking of complexity, there is a richness that pervades the experience, particularly when paired with a high percentage of Perique. At 30%, Golden Glow really shines. It's a testament to Sam Gawith that the blending house can offer two radically different extremes of Virginia in the same line of tobaccos.

Because of my poor judgment, I've been paranoid about my remaining bits and ends of that dwindling, tragic sample of Golden Glow--checking it daily for new growth and consuming frantically what might soon spoil for good. Now here's some advice...once that tobacco gets a taste of mold, it won't disappear--even with great care taken to eradicate any sign of blight. It's like cancer. Delicious, tasty cancer.

Good name for this one! When I opened the tin, the tobacco color was indeed golden and it did seem to glow. Really bright colored blend of broken flakes. Easily rubbed out, which is how I smoked it most of the time and how it seemed to work its best magic.

Tin aroma was really nasty for a virginia, which took me by surprise. It did not make that first load very appealing, but the taste made up for it. A highly and naturally sweet blend, this one showed its Citrus Spunk with the lemon virginia but the citrus didn't overpower me as it does with some VA's. Mostly high note oriented, this one still satisfied with some midrange depth. A reasonably complex blend, the flavor ran the gamut of citrus, hay and tang. This would be a good all-day blend for smokers who run that way but I found it kind of lacking in the evenings. A little brother to FVF? Perhaps. Not nearly as seasoned as FVF and a lot more playful. I prefer the zest of FVF over this but this was a very worthwhile journey. Try this one if the various brown flakes are too much for you and blends like OGS and Dunhill Flake are a little too "fruity".

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (112)

This isn't really a review, but a point of information for other readers. I heard from Samuel Gawith this morning (in answer to my enquiry) that this tobacco is exactly the same as their Medium Virginia Flake. The only difference is that this comes in a tin and MVF is sold loose. Perhaps people know this already?

All reviews of Golden Glow therefore apply to Medium Virginia Flake, and vice versa: unless, of course, people think that the tin makes a significant difference to the quality of the tobacco. The only difference that I can detect is that the tinned version is a bit more moist.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Having read many favourable reviews here on Samuel Gawith's tobaccos, I had just about given up on getting any in my home country when my favourite tobacco company started offering a good selection of them rather recently. Since I was visiting their facilities this week, anyway, I got a tin of GG and FVF each, as well as a few other blends by other manufacturers. I shall be reviewing them all as I go through them.

OK. Back to Golden Glow. Opening the tin, the blend looked like somebody had tried to rub out a flake by running a tank over the slices; also, the 'baccy was rather moist. In my estimation, still smokeable, though. The tin aroma was a mix of oranges, olives, hay and lychees: none of these aromas being artificial or somehow applied; just the sweetest VA I have ever encountered. As a broken flake, it's easy to stuff. The cut is pretty wide for a flake, so a wide bowl might be a good idea, and there are some pretty large flake bits left in the tin that should probably be rubbed out before smoking.

This is a sweet and spicy blend, remeniscent of 1st Flush Darjeeling teas with just the right amount of cane sugar, starting out gently but gaining in power throughout the smoke. Full, sweet taste with no hint of anything artificial and with a beautiful toastiness towards the end of the bowl. Matured, beautifully sweet VA. I happen to love it, hence 4 stars.

On the other hand, this blend is not exactly for the beginner; it has a certain amount of strength and needs to be smoked slowly. For those who can do that, and like pure VAs, this is a winner. For the VA/Per smokers, it's probably too one- dimensional to be an every-day smoke, but could make for a nice change of pace. For everybody else, look elsewhere: This ain't for you.

The room note was graded "great" by a good friend of mine; an aromatics smoker who was there while I broke in a new pipe with this blend.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I would rate it with 3 stars but I think I could spend the time with a much more satisfying tobacco, like FVF for example. A high quality and easy to smoke tobacco. Can be smoked at any time of the day. But not enough to satisfy my taste buds. It is too delicate. After finishing each bowl I wanted to smoke something else.

Anyway, a good tobacco and worth a try.

Iron Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Iron Pipe (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

If you are a Virginia lover, like me, this is a must.

I use in rotation with Marlin Flake and the two go together like strawberries and cream, albeit one at a time.

The tobacco is on the moist side and can bite if not dried out. I haven't aged this but I am sure it would age very well indeed.

If properly dried this is a nicely balanced tobacco that all VA lovers should try.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

After having smoked this for over two years on a daily basis, I wanted to completely rewrite this review. I will keep it short and simple, it comes as a broken flake, dried for a few hours until it is almost like straw, I am guaranteed a bite free, smooth, sweet, creamy, rich almost salty at times smoke.

Not exactly compex, but by no means monochromatic, IMHO, far superior to FVF (FVF is for Gentlemen, something even my friends could never accuse me of), this simply put, is just far more tasty and a bench mark for virginia's of quality.

This has been my "Mainstay" tobacco throughout the day for quite sometime now, only changing tobacco's in the evening, sometimes with great reluctance.

For viginia lovers and even new pipe smokers, this is one to try.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I like this tobacco...In fact, I think it's underrated. I enjoy a top notch plain Virginia tobacco and this one "fits the bill".

The tins I have smoked have not been what I consider "broken flake" type tobacco, and as a Virginia Plug smoker for 45 years, its no where close to that...but, it is a tobacco that I can enjoy anywhere and anytime. This is an exceptional morning smoke as well.

It is not a "rich" Virginia tobacco yet it has an enduring quality that I have come to appreciate. It does remind me of some of the Virginia types that were available back in the late 50's and early 60's and perhaps that's why I am drawn to this. I like the fact that the tobacco is straight forward, easy to light and pack, and leaves a pleasant enough room note.

Sometimes its nice to enjoy a simple approach to pleasure. The quality is certainly there and consistency from tin-to-tin is well above average. I highly recommend Golden Glow to anyone.

Smoked in mostly group 5 straight billiards.

...a pipe is to be savored.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I had high expectations when I ordered this mixture in hopes that it would not be flavored like Grousemoor. Now, I like Grousemoor and have a glowing review posted for it. However, it is such a distinct and powerful blend that anything remotely flavored like it will end up having the smoker (me) thinking - "Yeah, more re-packaged Grousemoor,,,,, Sighhhhhhh"

Well this VA flake does have just a hint of the Lakeland floral essence the first few puffs but does come into its own about mid-bowl. At that point, the classic creamy VA tang comes to the front with notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, and honey. Toppings perhaps? Perhaps not - and that is what I consider the mark of a well done VA. Kendal Cream Flake would love to be this blend, but it isn't, being too wet, strong and hard to keep lit.

The tobacco taste and aromas of classic creamy VAs dominate eventually and even remind me vaguely of Christmas Cheer once in a puff - the standard by which I hold all VA flakes.

Tin aroma? Well honestly I got notes of overly damp tobacco, salt-marsh and a hint of fish - perhaps tuna, bizarre and turn-offish at first but, thankfully, it never appeared again in the smoke. This offering has the worst tin aroma of any blend I have yet smoked.

The overly-moist flakes are falling apart and this perhaps should have been ready rubbed. But VA flakes have a marketing edge I suppose and what they hey, ehh,?, so I don't blame them.

I love the blond appearance of this VA proving it is not overly stoved (cooked).

All in all, this blend could have done just fine without the Grousemoor essence, apparently used to endorse this as a signature Lakeland mix. It would have stood well, alone, as a quality VA flake (which it is). However, there are many of those on the market already and Sam Gawith chose to capitalize (I think) on their uniqueness rather than follow the crowd.

Given that very observation, I must forego the 1 star rating I was going to give and give it 2 stars, as I am a fan of some SG offerings - for what they are. Though I was more disappointed than pleased all said and done.

I hope aging and drying will improve the smoke, as perhaps warmer weather will do. I find SG blends are more enjoyable in the warmer months according to my palate.

VA, SG, and mild aromatic fans who appreciate natural toppings that are neither goopy nor sweet, here's another one to try.

Good Draw to you,

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey SW-NC Mnts.

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

and again pleasantly surprised by this Samuel Gawith product. I had tried BBF, FVF, navy flake, chocolate flake, grousemoor, Balkan flake, SKIFF and st. James flake. Skiff mixture, BBF and Navy flake are the my best SG tobaccos. Now to GG; the tobacco has wonderful undertones, is relatively meaty for such a golden VA, and is wholly satisfying. I have had little trouble keeping it lit and I also don't mind the seemingly extra moistness of the flake. I can leave it out a little while before I smoke it, so it doesn't bother me. A nice, uncomplicated..slightly sweet VA!

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

"Broken Virginia Flakes" the tin label proclaims. Hmm. I don't know about that, more a chunky ribbon cut to my mind. That somewhat misleading description aside, the consistency and cut is first class and the overall brightness presents itself in a most attractive manner to my eye.

The moisture level is fairly high as one might expect from this top curator of fine tobacco. I actually like to snip it with scissors across the grain, unorthodox I know, but this then releases it into small chunks which soon dry to a nicely usable texture.

Pack it lightly, tamp it gently and fire it up. Oh my. Top quality Va personified. Sweet, yet tangy. Grassy and fresh. And yet somehow mature, with a little yeastiness, of the kind you might taste in sour-dough bread. It unravels with a marvellous forgiveness with even greedy puffing, which is frankly hard to resist, you just keep wanting that taste and savour.

Superb. I mean it. Big time.

Highly recommended.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I must say that I'm simply not a fan of this cased, aromatic, broken flake. It has some very thick pieces that are quite difficult to break up and hard to keep lit; a common problem with SG. Not my cup of tea.

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

After hearing so many rave reviews of Samuel Gawith tobacco, I decided to import some from merry old England. I had high hopes at 15 pounds ($30) for a 25g pouch (thanks to draconian NZ tobacco laws).

The tobacco arrived so wet that by the time it dries Im looking at 15 pounds for a 10g pouch.

Upon opening the pouch I was reminded of the hay my goat sleeps on - not fresh hay, I mean hay that needs changing.

Upon lighting the pipe the first thing I noticed was an extreme cotton mouth and cotton throat, like one gets on a 3 day booze bender without brushing teeth. Never before has a pipe tobacco done this to me.

Another first - I always used to wonder what people meant when they talked about 'tongue bite'. Now I know. This is the first tobacco that has ever done it to me, even when smoked slowly. It only gets worse towards the bottom of the bowl.

Overall the golden glow experience was like filling a pub ashtray with water, then putting the contents, filters and all into the pipe, still wet, then stuffing a hedgehog on top and smoking it. Ghastly stuff.

When I walked into the room while my wife was smoking it, It was so strong I couldnt breathe. Like 10 people smoking roll your owns in an area the size of a toilet cubicle.

I grow my own tobacco and my bog standard air dried, uncured virginia is 10x nicer than this junk. This one is in my top two most foul tobaccos along with borkum whiskey.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I find this to be another fine tobacco from SG. It really would be a good all day smoke for many. It lights and stays lit well, burns down to a nice ash at the bottom of the bowl. Very little prep for this basically stuff and puff with this fine blend from SG. Highly recommended.

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

As other SG's Golden Glow needs to be dried 4-6 hours prior to smoke as is packed very wet.

The broke flake packs and lights right, with a regular burning pace. For me this blend is too bland and too flat in taste with a total lack of the nuances that the opening of the tin seems to promise to my nose. Unbalanced in the strength/taste ratio, I'd not recommend this stuff for smokers, like me, who likes fuller and stronger virginias (Full Virginia Flake is one of my top 5 in rotations). And for those on mild smokes or looking for milder smokes in summer time, I think there are better options out there.

As Sir Walter Smiley said below, maybe it could be a good blending stuff, mixing with other blends tha give it the taste it lacks.

For my personal taste GG is a 1 star blend, but as its packing, lighting, burning performances are ok and its room note is good, I give it 2 thinking on social smokers.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)

A great all-day virginia. High quality leafs. Cool, delightful, ambrosial aroma: grass, citrus, light honey. Medium strenght. Easy to burn. Perfect in the summer.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

If FVF has a little brother, I think this may be him. Side by side there is definitely a family resemblance in aroma - that distinct fragrance that reminds me of bananas - just more subtle in this one. Upon opening mine was a tad on the moist side but not terribly so. A couple of twists in the grinder (my usual treatment for flake) and then set out on paper for a few minutes and it was just about right. In a big Wellington the delicious soft smoke nicely accompanied two mugs of afternoon coffee. The flavor is not as strong and mighty as FVF, but is a fine and enjoyable Virginia in its own right with a refined silky sweetness.

I keep my baccy in glass jars on a shelf in my study and this one has an added benefit: the color of the twisty flakes is bright gold and contrasts nicely with the other, darker blends - so it is a treat for they eyes as well!

Update 6/7/2011: still a great baccy on my list but dropping to three stars because I am finding it a bit one-dimensional.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I love this fruity and sweet va. Even more than fvf. Milder but do golden sweet. It's also the most moist blend I,ve ever smoked. Top va.

Sir Walter Smiley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Walter Smiley (24)

I am a fan of many Samuel Gawith blends and flakes, this one is no exception. Yet: though this blend has a quality, natural virginia flavor; it is way too boring after the first bowl or two. As a blender, this is where this tobacco excels. I love this mixed with McClellands "Dark Star" or Cornell & Diehl's "Old Joe Krantz", with the latter mixture tasting very similiar to C&D's "Three Friars". It makes a better "Vaper", with some perique added, than Gawith's "St. James Flake". It should work in just about any blend you could try, as a background (rounding) flavor. As a "stand alone" tobacco, ahhhh...two stars. As a blender, it could save a blend that is too harsh, strong, dry or "over the top" with casings.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I suppose because SG baccy's have to cross the pond they are deliberately packed extra moist. Golden Glow has to be allowed to air out for a considerable amount of time. The long, rather wide ribbon negates a small bowl pipe otherwise it is all too easy to overpack the pipe.

The tin aroma is damp natural virginia tobacco scent with a hint of citrus. As a matter of fact I could have sworn I was smelling a virginia cigarette had I been blind folded.

Careful loading is necessary. I found it hard to light and keep lit as it really needed more time to air. The room note is quite simply tobacco cigarette, and so is the tastes except for a hint of lemon on the tongue. On it's own, it would make a very mild all-day smoke for someone content to smoke a very monotone baccy.

Too boring for me on it's own so I cut the ribbon shorter and added a bunch of latakia to what I had left. Once I did this, I could swear I was smoking Frog Morton.

No bite, smokes clean down to ash if allowed to thoroughly dry before lighting. I consider this a good "beginner's" blend. I won't buy it again simply because it is just too bland for me.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

During this past period it seems that I have started to become more and more interested on Virginia tobaccos. Of course, many of my friends and colleagues are not so thrilled about the idea, as they prefer aromatic tobaccos (I do everything so that I am allowed to smoke in the office). I want to thank, very much, Paris from Patra, for this deep blond, sweet Virginia, that is sliced into thick broken flakes, does not overheat nor causes any tongue bite, but is quite wet when you first open the tin, and needs to go by a drying process. However, I believe that if it was matured properly, this phenomenon would diminish, improving simultaneously its “performance”. The aroma of dried fruits and raisins is immediately evident once you crack the tin open and it remains there until the end of the bowl, not with the same intensity of course but definitely present. Mediocre nicotine content. I was thrilled by the color of the tin. Update: November 28th, 2009. This morning, I opened one of the tins “peter” brought me (and I thank him for that). EX-TRE-ME humidity. It is impossible for me to smoke it right away. It undoubtedly needs sufficient drying. Update: August 20th, 2010. A very important observation I made: it lights up very difficulty.

snuffysmiff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
snuffysmiff (7)

I really like this. A gentle puff brings out the subtle flavors in the blend. I tried it out a while back, left it, and now I find myself reaching for it often. The room note is just great, and sometimes I leave the pipe burning, go outside and then return just to get that "Wow! That smells great!" feeling. Is that a bit sad? Ha! As if I care. Lovely! Update- I notice that I have started to compare other flakes to this one. I suspect that I'm going to settle on this as my staple smoke. I think that it must just suit my tastes.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

Obviously many will find this one mild in every way compared to similar products but I don't. Infact I like this one much better. For now it meets all my expectations from a VA. Highly recommended if you're not a "strong" pal who seeks "strength" in everything.

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (9)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A fine virginia flake. Mild but very nice to smoke. My 'everyday out-and-about' tobacco.

JESTRAB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JESTRAB (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Golden Glow is a lighter clone of FVF. It is a pure, natural virginia of the highest quality. I prefer smoking it indoors where I can more enjoy its fine flavour. One could smoke golden glow over the weekdays while keeping FVF for Sundays. To my taste, however, it is a bit too gentle and will rather stick to the FVF even during the week.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Quality tobacco, as every Samuel Gawith product. This pure Virginias blend is almost as good as FVF or Best Brown Flake, being more natural and brighter. In fact, it could easily get 4 stars if I didn't find it a bit unbalanced: the lemon leaf is sometimes too sharp and tangy for my palate, although I fully enjoy this smoke 90% of the times.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)

My first experience with this tobacco was not a positive one. It burned like a furnace and left me with a smarting tongue and sore mouth with little reward in terms of flavour. No matter how I prepared the weed the results were the same. Not good.

A year later and I decided to give it another try, but this time prior to opening my new tin I baked it in the oven for 5 hours at 90 degrees celsius. Now we're talking.

The harsh edges have been smoothed out and I am left with an absolutely delicious tobacco. Tasty and complex. The bowl begins with oodles of sweet, tangy Virginia goodness and becomes toastier and fuller as one progresses. Things really hit their stride at the halfway mark and by the time I reach the bottom nicotine levels have become sufficient to put a smile on my face. True, the flavour is not as forthright as Full Virginia Flake (less 'bass') but it is certainly not lacking. I have a well aged tin of FVF on the go at the moment and I find this blend equally satisfying, just slightly less upfront about things.

It benefits from some drying time and requires (and deserves) to be smoked slowly and delicately to reveal what it has to offer.

A definite winner for me in its baked form and I'm very glad I decided to give it another chance. Two thumbs up!

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Having run the full circuit of aromatics decided to try a straight blend of virginia. Was worried it might taste like a cigarette, but it didn't.

Actually it didn't taste of anything very come to think of it. It's not nasty, definately not a biter and I found it a bit of a bugger to keep alight. Probably something to do with the idiot that rubbed it out.

Very moist, scrummy looking broken flakes to die for in this tin of mine. Pity it doesn't actually taste of anything. Mrs RW comes home tomorrow and so that will be a test of the room note. A note I cannot detect at all.

Still, I can see me reaching for this one time and again despite my grumbles. Just sniff that old tin and get that bouquet is enough to make you fill up a big juicy bowl.

N-i-c-e.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

See my review of Medium Virginia Flake, the same tobacco in bulk.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)

Quality Golden Virginia, smokes flawlessly. No tongue bite with fast puffing. Sweet and tasty, I always go back for more.

The Pipesmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipesmith (6)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A thoroughly enjoyable Virginia tobacco with very clean taste and nose. Tin note is fabulous but the tobacco needs some significant drying until its just pliable. I find it really does smoke coolest of you just role up some of the broken sheets and just stuff the role into your pipe. Break up the tobacco on top or add some finer pieces and light away. It does seem to need a few more relights initially this way, but the coolness is worth it. If you let it dry till brittle and rub it out real fine, it burns without so many relights and stays reasonably cool.

Smoked cool by sipping - and bearing with the occasional relight - the flavors and nose are absolutely captivating albeit a bit light. Bite is not a problem this way either. I prefer the last half of the bowl when my pipe has really found its groove and the flavor and nose have deepened a bit more. By the time I finished the tin, I did notice a floral or soapy scent which I hadn't noticed before. Not too wild about that.

An excellent, high quality tobacco that I enjoyed trying. I'll probably get this again sometime, but its not high up on my must have list at this time.

onehitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onehitter (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Overwhelming

I will tell you now the room note is ugly but taste is great. I like to puff and this will burn your pipe before it burns you so watch out. This is what it is, broken Vrigina flake no more no less blond in nature. A little wet in the tin a little hot in the pipe even when dry so watch out,other than that it's great.Yes theres a hay smell but not in taste. Its one dimensional in taste but complex. I will add that the new tin I have smells like tea.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Not the usual Gawith. It's pleasantly mild, but I'm going low on the rating because it's just a wee bit boring. I puffed and puffed trying to get more flavor. There are some milder Virginias I do like, but they have delicate, subtle flavors rather than...I almost said no flavor, but that's not true. It's nice, but one could do better.

2-7-11 Upgrading. Not sure why I was so hard on this. Finally got some more, and it's very nice. When I reviewed it before, I was smoking a lot of SG, and it was cheap and readily availiable, and this may have seemed the weakest of the ones I tried back then, but even if it still comes across fairly mild to me, I like it.

ronjam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ronjam (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I am pretty much a fan of all SG blends, this one included. Yet, I was disappointed when I finally got a tin of Golden Glow. I found it a bit too bland compared to BBF and 1792. In fact, it improves when a bit of 1792 is added.

Still, very high quality, and worth a try. Just don't smoke it after 1792 or FVF.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)

What comes to mind is the words of General George Washington in his letter to the Continental Congress of 1776: "If you can't send money, send tobacco"; the man clearly understood the reward value that tobacco offers as an incentive - in the absence of hard cash!

He was surely thinking of SGs Golden Glow (although, we know SGs only started blending during his first term as President).

This is a light, delicate, un-complicated smoke of pure virginia (no casing) that is moderately sweet and offers aromas of grass/hay with a hint of citrus in the background - a delightful adventure for those advocates of light virginias.

As always, it's an SG tobacco - so moisture is high and the smoke benefits from some advanced drying. SGs don't stock-pile tobaccos at Canal Head, they blend and manufacture day-in, day-out, and usually to precise export order demands. Hence, the product will always be fresh and moist as a consequence.

PiperAviator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PiperAviator (3)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This came a little too moist in the tin, but a day of drying fixed it up. I like to pull good sized pieces off of the broken flakes, fold them over and just stuff them. First few lights are tough, but once it's lit, it stays lit for most of the bowl. In the tin, it looks beautiful. First impression is that it smells a lot like raisins. Thankfully, that doesn't translate into the smoke. This is one I puff sloooooowly. Barely a wisp of smoke escapes my lips with each puff, but I find I get the most flavor that way. It is a delicate taste; grassy and citrusy at the same time. Not complex in any way. Consistent throughout the bowl. Coffee is too much for it. Red wine - forget it. Bourbon killed it completely. Only thing I can drink with this is tea with honey or lemon. My wife says this one smells "OK".

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)

this is a good tobacco!the only think that i didnt like is that the grass flavore and taste is a bit too strong in this flavore.but some people might like it.apart from that no problems what so ever.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I heard and read much about this tobacco, finally I bought a tin of it. Never smoked this kind of cut, it is unusual for the continent, especially for Austria where I live. Smells good, tin is full of pleasant flavour, rub it a bit, smell is as good as before, maybe a little too wet, but will see. My good old bulldog will do - nice stuffing, nice start, some relights but no problems so far. Smell like expected, bit grassy flavour but okay. As said by others a good morning pipe or maybe during the day without any hammer nicotine. No big difference in taste although I took quite a bunch of GG. Like it looking forward to some more. Won´t take it in my rotation, but nice to have this stuff in my cabinet as I only store wine in my cellar ;-) Highly recommended for starters, multitobaccosmokers, experienced smokers, who want to taste different ways of taste, this is pure va unless I prefer the rattray line.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)

To me, this is the ultimate morning smoke. It's not quite a middleweight but it's no lightweight either - something closer to a welterweight. Beautiful tobacco. Like the guy below said "toasty" and with a natural sweetness that is sure to put a smile on your face. Samuel Gawith hit a homer with this one and I'm buying pounds in preparation for Obama's SCHIP tax. Can anyone see the sense in trying to stimulate spending while raising taxes at the same time?

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Aptly named, the bright VAs in the tin are reminiscent of a gorgeous, morning sunrise. GG is a delightful, smooth, toasty and subtly sweet smoke. On the lighter side, it is a great morning smoke or before retiring in the evening. Relights are infrequent as GG has excellent burning qualities. This could now be my favorite lighter VA blend. This is a must try smoke for all pipesters!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.98 out of 10.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)

Yum, Yum, Yum !! Another excellent tobacco from SG. The tin note is of white raisins. You want to eat this stuff, the tin note is that good. The taste is similar to Best Brown Flake.... lighter with a tiny bit of citrus. The room note is pleasant for a non-aromatic. A truly delightful smoke.

TGA49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TGA49 (5)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

"Virginia is for Lovers" the State Motto does not apply to pipe tobacco. Virginia tobacco's by all who smoke needs to be puffed lightly, and slowly. I normally smoke all my tobacco's lightly and slowly and still have had no luck with Virginia's, until Sam Gawith's Golden Glow. It is a mild and flavorful Virginia. So, after a year and half of smoking a pipe I now have a Virginia that is truly a marvelous tobacco to smoke. I am not sure why the other reviewers say it is too mild???? I guess I am just a wimp because I don't enjoy tongue bit or heavy nicotine blasts. I am looking for something I enjoy that's flavorful and still mild in a "Virginia" and Golden Glow certainly fills the bill. The only other Virginia that I tried and enjoyed was Dan's Hamborer Veermaster which is a little sweeter and possibly a little stronger. Both however are enjoyable and still straight Virginia's. If you are having difficulty getting into Virginia's try Golden Glow it will be a pleasant enjoyable experience and smoke. Highly recommended!

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)

To start, I consider myself mainly a VA/Per and VA Flake smoker (i always chuckle when someone who obviously disdains VAs writes up a review for one and gives it a bad ranking).

Out of the tin, looks like a standard top grade SG Flake, only THICKER. a LOT thicker.

Rubs out just as easy as all the other SG Flakes, packs almost as easy, burns the same. quality work, as always.

Flavor was lighter than i'd like, almost too light. There was some nice VA sweetness and soft tobacco flavors in the background to give it something. I will have to revisit this later, maybe the flavors have developed after airing out a couple more months.

I had to drink this with water or a weak tea, otherwise the drink would've overpowered the flavor of the tobacco.

*updated - not enough flavor for me. i'm not an "english smoker" writing a bad review of a light VA, it is simply the lightest VA i've ever smoked.

Golden Glow (in tin) is the same tobacco as Medium Virginia Flakes (bulk).

This is a good Virginia tobacco in bright golden broken flake cut, naturally sweet, mild with some floral note, easy to pack and smoke, bite is minimal for a Virginia tobacco, inexpensive and can improve with age. (I keep 2 pounds in sealed jar for aging). Compare it to Mac Baren Virginia No.1, MVF is less sweet, less fruity in aroma and flavor, burn cooler with less bite.

I like Medium Virginia Flake but I largely prefer Mac Baren Virginia No.1.

lvpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvpipe (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

To me this tobacco is a well mannered broken flake with no bite and no detected flavoring. I am a fan of SG-FVF,BBF,MVF and Rattray's-OG,HOW,MF and BC.

Golden Glow fits in there somewhere, slightly different than BBF and MVF. It is tasty in its own right but I mixed it 50-50 with GLP Filmore and discovered a very interesting smoke with a little added zest.

varg winter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
varg winter (11)

This is high quality stuff from S. G. A typical English natural virginia blend. The tobacco has little fine sugarcristals on it. A very good natural tobacco taste. The tobacco is a little moist. This tobacco will improve with aging.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)

This is Medium VA Flake in tinned form, confirmed from the Samuel Gawith folks at the Chicago 2008 show.

Background: I'm mostly a VA smoker, prefer flakes & straight pipes with VA's.

It's described as a FVF lite & most likely won't be a favorite of those who like stronger blends. But what it may lack in strength, it more than makes up for in flavor. This is one of my favorite VA blends, a light smoke, especially in the nicotine department.

The flakes are the thickness of a standard flake, but cut into 4" long, 1/8" square strings that are flexible and soft. Upon inspection, the medium to light brown tobacco looks to have been stripped of stems. The sample I bought was moist, but not sopping or oily. Just enough to be flexible, supple.

Preparing to fill, I dry it using the oven method (60 seconds in a pre-heated oven, 200 degrees). I then bag it up & let it cool in a Ziplock bag. Then I break the strands into 1/2" strips & fill the pipe. Normal packing works well for me.

Upon light up, the pleasant oats waft is apparent & welcome. The light semi sweet taste is so nice with a cup of sweetened Joe in the morning. The blend remains constant down to the last crumb and leaves a white fluffy ash. Only clue it's the end of the bowl is when it's hard to relight. Speaking of which, I required a couple re-lights mainly due to a lack of attention to tamping (requires a little more so than most). I've yet to get any bite from this blend, even when puffing like a loaded freight train.

5-15-08 update

Still the same fine smoke as when first reviewed. KEY: Dry it just shy of crispy, I use the microwave for small batches (20 seconds on high spread on a paper towel).

VA's are like a Colibri butane lighter, persnickety to say the least. They favor certain pipes, require the right humidity, and can burn when worked too hard. I find Medium VA Flake to be like an Old Boy, a reliable performer, consistently good flavor. Many VA's are in my cupboard, this one gets the most attention.

Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)

The first time i lit it up, I thought it was flavored with tomatoes. A weird feeling, but it was really interesting. This tomato flavor faded in a couple of weeks, leaving just the natural, grassy VA smell and taste. A simple tobacco, rather mild and very easy going. Nice room note, easy to pack, stays lit perfectly. Seemed a little bit boring to me, though.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

These are nicely prepared flakes but as advertised, most in my tin had been separated which I don't prefer. The golden VAs were also moister than I like from the tin and I had to adjust my packing technique on subsequent bowls. Even with drying numerous relights were needed. I didn't sense the Lakeland influence; a big +. The taste was creamy and sweet and a cool, dry smoke without any bite resulted. I found this too mild for my normal tastes although the strength might be OK as the hot weather arrives.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)

really, it's a wonderful tobacco, but i can't distinguish it from gawith's medium flake which i've already reviewed. smoking the two side by side reveals no difference to me. strange!

i'd really, really like to see how sam gawith would do red virginia.

pipco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipco (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I find Golden Glow to be quite similar to SG's Medium Virginia Flake only in tinned form. It may be a bit lighter but they areat least fraternal twins. It comes as broken flakes with parts fully rubbed. Light in color it is a medium bodied blend that exhibits grassy/hay notes. I found little , or no topping and for me, it's a natural virginia deserving of it's moniker. Light in nicotine this blend will find it's place in my regimen early in the morning and also throughout the day in hotter weather. Golden Glow is a good representative of the light Virginia genre.