This blend is a result of my grandfathers 30+ years of experience and passion for creating the perfect mouthwatering blend of Aromatic and English tobaccos. In this Aromatic/English house blend, lush Black Cavendish dances with Perique and Latakia to make this mild to medium blend a steppingstone worldwide favorite. Great for the beginner to the experienced smoker who enjoys a full body smoke with no bite and a wonderful aroma. We sell more of this blend than all others combined!

Notes: This blend was originally produced by the now-defunct 310 Pipes and Tobacco but the recipe was purchased, and the tobacco now produced, by The Humidor in Murfreesboro, TN

Brand310 Pipe & Tobacco
Taste
Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (88)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A friend of mine brought this down to me from TN as a gift. Arrived very moist in the zip-lock bag, so after my trial bowl I let it sit for a few months. It remains on the damp side. Takes a light well at the start but can't seem to hold it - requires frequent relights, especially after the first third of the bowl (PG build up?). Good news is it burns cool with NO bite. Which is good, because you may have to puff it. This was smoked in a briar pipe - an inexpensive one due to concerns over cavendish 'goop', but a good smoker with no quirks or engineering problems.

I received immediate compliments on the room note with this one, described as "Christmasy" - and this from Mrs Perique who, at this point, is a connoisseur of room notes. I would say this genuinely tastes like the tin note, which I would describe as equal measure of its constituent tobaccos: sweet Cavenish, peppery Perique, and spicy oriental. It's that campfire taste from the Latakia combined with the sweet Cavenish that brings the sweet and sour, "Christmasy" aroma and, in this case, the taste is on par with the nose. There's just the right amount of Perique here to enhance that sweet and sour, which may be grand for some and bad news for others who are intolerant of Perique. My advice would be give it a try. You may find that, in this balance with Cavendish, the Perique is tolerable and you may appreciate it more as a condiment tobacco.

This blend is oriental forward in the first third with the Latakia asserting early on. This mellows mid-bowl as the Cavendish asserts, but without dominating or ruining the blend harmony. Latakia reasserts in the final third, along with a bit more Perique. (I find Perique tends to make a late appearance in mixed-style blends.)

No bite here, as stated above. Zero. So may be a good choice for cigarette guys and newer Aro smokers suffering with common, nasty blends. And no bite is a good thing, as the dampness means some puffing will be required if you absentmindedly lose your cadence and your ember begins to falter.

While not a great explorer of this style, I have been generally disappointed in the past. I was impressed with Battleground and can see why this is their top seller. While not an everyday smoke, I would think, there's something here for everyone: the aromatic smoker, the Latakia lover, the Perique enthusiast. Recommended for a change of pace. While this will not be a 'rotation' blend for me, I will be ordering more when my gift runs out. Really enjoyed this one.

EDIT: upgrading to four stars. This is a very interesting blend with an excellent balance of flavor and room note. Benefits enormously from some dry time. Rapidly becoming my go-to smoke for indoor smoking around guests. Family loves the room note and I enjoy the flavor more than the typical, one-dimensional aromatic. for lovers of aromatic English blends, ths is a must-try. I'm surprised it's not more commonly available. While I have since discovered better aromatic English blends, I will always be grateful to Battleground for opening the door for me to this style of tobacco.

CAM7411 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CAM7411 (3)

I have been buying and smoking Battleground from 310 for a couple of years now. It is a great smoke, I enjoy the touches of Latakia and Perique in this blend. It will give a bit of a bite if you puff too fast; other than that I would say it is a must try. The folks at 310 are very friendly and easy to order from...give them a try.

tygear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tygear (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Don't have the experience or vocabulary to write like some of the pro's but here goes. This tabac is great from the 1st light to the end burns cool Great flavor not overly cased but top noted not sure with what. Pleasant room note for those who happen to be close enough. Burned to end of bowl left fine grey to white ash. Can be ordered online from 310 Pipe & Tabacco Murfreesboro TN .Friendly and helpful staff.