The return of an old favorite, Spilman Mixture is a classically complex English blend of Virginia, Latakia, Turkish and cubed Burley that hasn't been available for 70 years! The reinvention of this classic tobacco took years of research and development. Presented in a detailed recreation of the original can, right down to the replica tax stamp, Spilman Mixture features the coarse cut favored by pipe smokers in the last century, and an honest, straight forward tobacco flavor. As the can says, "Discriminating Smokers smoke and recommend Spilman Mixture on account of its purity. Spilman Mixture is of incomparable Quality. The combination contains the choicest tobaccos. Its rich aroma is guaranteed to be Nature's own." Spilman Mixture is irresistible for anyone interested in trying what their great-great grandfather smoked.

BrandE. Hoffman Company
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging1.5oz tin
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

The Cyprian latakia is smokey and woody as is the Oriental/Turkish, the latter also sporting a slight buttery dryness. The burley is nutty sweet, and the Virginia is grassy with a touch of citrus, though it's a minor player. Hardly any nicotine to speak of here. With such a variety of components in this blend, you'd think something would stand out, but they don't because they work well together. Perhaps the topping, whatever it is, lightly tames the ingredients, too. The nic-hit is mild. Burns at a moderate pace with very few relights, little dampness in the bowl, and a consistent flavor. Has a short lived after taste. It's a pleasant all day smoke and I could recommend it to someone just starting out in English blends if they hadn't smoked any mixtures with latakia, because the latakia isn't strongly obvious. Two and a half stars.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Spilman is a retro/nostalgia blend. I Finally decided to pop the tub that sat in my cellar for more than a year and smoked four or five bowls of it in the next two days.

You can smell the Latakia and the Turkish reeking off the open tin, but taste more of the Turkish when smoking. Funny, because it supposedly has more burley and virginia than latakia or Turkish. It must be the Turkish that gives it a cigarettish quality, I think, but the burley and virginia help to balance things. Or not, depending on your own opinion. And few smokers will receive a completely similar impression of this blend.

Comes wet. Had to dry it out on a paper towel for about an hour. Surprisingly mild nicotine component, considering all those ingredients. Consequently, nic lovers find it too mild for their taste, but is perfect for me. YMMV. It does seem to be something of an acquired taste, but what can I say? I still can't make heads or tails of this blend, but I'm liking it. Easy to fill, to keep lit, smokes smooth, yadda yadda yadda. As long as you take the trouble to dry it out a bit prior to smoking.

I think the danger with this blend is that its milder, non-bitey smoothness can tempt you to make it an all-day smoke of it, which it isn't. It doesn't smoke enough under the radar and conceivably could tire tastebuds even to its best qualities, at least the ones I've perceived, if smoked too often and continuously. That may be one of the reasons the blend fell out of fashion in the U.S. after being all the rage for many years. But it hasn't bored me yet.

My initial impression from just two bowls is very positive. Delectable flavor and a sidestream aroma that waltzes you in and out and around again. The first bowl recommended itself uniquely to my palate, with an unprecedented (to me) citrusy/sweet tang. Can't fully wrap my head around this blend yet; I have trouble finding any points of comparison, reference or similarity. Almost indescribable. Simply irresistible. (With apologies here to the late Robert Palmer.) Has a pungent, savory quality that blows through the leathery latakia and settles on the tastebuds, especially those on each side of the tongue. Yummers. Mommy.

Am I exaggerating here, reduced to spouting immature hyperbolic dithyrambs? Exaggerating, no. Reduced to spouting, yes. Ah initial impressions. The shock of recognition; or rather the surprise of non-recognition. I'm not compos mentis enough for balanced views or for sage and sedate evaluations. After all, this baccy has put me in The Zone in two and a half seconds flat.

Surprising, considering that it's just tobacco... And I don't drink...

Somehow it gives me a subtle memory of having smoked it once.... But I never smoked it before....!!!

Different from any tobacco I've smoked. And yet... and yet... at the same time... it is strangely familiar. But arcanely so... a contradiction in terms! A puzzlement, this tantalizing cognitive lacuna in my grasp. But gee willikers, this be some good baccy!

I want to repeat the experience over and over again. Let it haunt me and pursue me, but may it never turn on me.

And, oh yes, again: YMMV.

I smoked it in a large bowl, as someone recommended. That person was right.

August Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
August (4)

Spilman is my 'go to' tobacco. I have to admit my first puchase was influenced by its pleasent retro-lable but, I have kept a tin or two around ever since. I find it well balanced (not too much latakia). I always enjoy a virginia/burley base and this one is just the right mix, kind of elegant, kind of homey. Sometimes I want a big nicotine hit. Spiman is not where I turn for that. It's just a nice, dependable smoke and that's a good thing. I don't want every bowlful to be a show-stopper, but I do want consistant, quality tobacco. Spilman just suites me that way.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin.

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

The awesome-looking tin won me over! Tin aroma is of a sweetened, kind of OTC-ish mustiness with some latakia present. Cut is a user friendly squarish chop - easy to load. Well, it would be easy to load if it didn't have so many stems in it. But so it goes.

This is something to smoke, I suppose. It's basically inoffensive and does nothing horribly wrong. The casing used could be toned down a bit for my taste, but the overall effect was "dirty", to use a strange word in the context of tobacco. It tasted old, and not old as in aged... old as in stale, but it wasn't stale. Hard to explain. The main flavor was very light latakia with some sort of sweetener and a good burley body. Orientals didn't come out much and the VA was just sort of a base without asserting itself, either. This reminded me of C&D's Americana but C&D did it so much better, IMHO. I made it through about 2 oz of this and gave the rest away. Probably the best thing I can say about this is that I gave it away to a pipesmoking couple. How cool is that?

It's something to try but it fails to distinguish itself. It just sort of "is" - nothing to get too excited over. As always, YMMV.

Step right up and get your Barking Dog with a little different added flavoring right here, folks.

This is a delightful and very good blend in that it offers a somewhat unique smoking experience and is an easy tobacco to like. You'll not get exotic flavor sensations but you will receive a tobacco blend where you can taste Latakia, Burley and a mild added flavoring that combines to make this blend easy on the palate and won't give you "Latakia overload." For some reason, a few pipe smokers believe a Latakia blend means the blender has to pour on the Latakia and then stick in a pinch of a couple of other things. A light Latakia can be appreciated too, and here's a perfect example

Barking Dog (another American light Latakia/Burley mix) seems somewhat similar to Spilman, but the added flavorings are as different as night and day. Also, Spilman comes a little bit too moist in the tin for my liking and is a little more flavorful when dried out a bit.

A "delicate" Latakia blend... The long-ago creators of Spillman appear to have been simple folks. God bless 'em!

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (46)

Sturdy little all day English...Puzzles my as to why it went away in the first place...if the original was anything like this, somebody must have been asleep at the switch to allow it to be discontinued...If your looking for something less expensive and tastier than Squadron Leader, this is it.

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: Newly bought

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Spilman Mixture by the E. Hoffman Co. brings back, after 70 years, a heirloom tobacco that perhaps your great great grandfather may have smoked in an early sandblasted Dunhill (my fantasy). It comes complete with a can that captures the original to the last detail, including the tax stamp. It is an Air Cured blend of Burley, Virginia, Latakia and Turkish, and is presented in the can as a rough Broken Flake. This latter point means that flavors are occasionally released in the bowl explosively as one component presides over the other. Spilman Mixture in my book represents an American English blend. Although I am no great fan of Burley this is somewhat compensated by some fine Virginia and Latakia leaf. The Turkish provides an additional overtone. I would have preferred however less Burley and more Latakia and Virginia, but I guess then it wold not have conformed to the original recipe. I give it three stars because of the Burley, but it should be sampled as it may suit some more than others. Cheers,

Mild to Medium None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

I'm not even going to try and figure out if I got a bad tin or not. The aftertaste I have in my mouth right now is something I don't ever want to risk tasting again. This blend has a mustiness that is akin to mildew. I could barely taste any real tobacco flavor because of it. I'm done with this one.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: Fresh???

Italo Svevo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Italo Svevo (19)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not much to add to what already said. This is a mild, enjoyable, good-quality English mixture, very cool burning, with enough Latakia and some mild sweetener which could be liquorice. I like it. The only hook is that it comes quite wet, so it is hard to burn and tends to go out often. I ground it with a marijuana grinder and the burning improved. It's a shame they don't export it to Europe apparently. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Toscana

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965 (but more mild).

HCraven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HCraven (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Spilman is advertised as a sort of "throwback" blend, something your great grandfather might have smoked. Well, it tastes and smells kind of musty and old and there's nothing modern quite like it that I've found. That's not a bad thing, though. Full English-style mixtures are my favorite things, but they don't necessarily make the best all-day smokes. They can fatigue your taste buds a bit. Spilman Mixture doesn't have a lot of Latakia; a musty Oriental/Turkish seems to be the dominant flavor, tempered by somewhat sweet Virginia and a little Burley nuttiness. It's mild enough to enjoy multiple bowls in a day, but complex and flavorful enough not to bore you to tears. I think it could appeal to smokers both new to and experienced with English mixtures, though it probably won't win you any new friends in the room, and might be a little off-putting to be a true crossover. I really, really like it, though, and plan to keep it in somewhat heavy rotation.

Turns out great grandpa knew a thing or two about pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Briars, Falcons, Cobs

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)

"E. Hoffman Company" - Spilman Mixture

My personal feeling is that the phrases "dumbed down" and "liquorice flavored" sum this tobacco up succinctly.

...And now this review exceeds the minimum twenty-six word requirement.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (37)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Overwhelming

Sour, acrid, and reminiscent of a burning tire. There must be something critical about personal chemistry with this blend, or the batch quality is highly variable, because it is remarkable how far apart the 4 star reviews and 1 star reviews are.

Whereas Distinguished Gentleman is altogether most friendly and fine, Spilman is simply vile - and consistently so: even several months after first trying it, it repeats its foul performance. Even the room note is detestable.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: New to 6mo

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

FP Stew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FP Stew (20)

Spilman Mixture is mild English with some uniqueness that keeps me interested and always looking forward to revisiting. The tobaccos all work well and the flavor is consistently good. As the Retro Label states, “Without a bite or regret”, and I agree. There must be some type of topping present that enhances the creamy quality of the smoke and coats my palate and teeth with a uniquely enjoyable taste.

I come back to Spilman Mixture again and again as a nice change up from my typical routine. It works well in all size bowls and burns to a clean ash. I give this one a 3.5 of 4 and recommend it to anyone looking for a good, solid and enjoyable English with a hint of Balkan. Our Great Grand Fathers had a good thing going and, thanks to some hard work to research this historic blend, now we can enjoy it too.

Happy Smoke Trails to you!

Pipe Used: Several and all work weill

Age When Smoked: 1 and 3 years old

Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (16)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'm on my fifth tin of Spilman Mixture now, having first tried it about five years ago. This is a mild and cool-smoking blend that I can always trust to provide a reasonably-priced and consistently flavorful smoke.

While the tin aroma is rather musty but not unpleasant, Spilman Mixture when lit yields a sort of "red velvet cake" flavor, sweet but subtle and almost creamy thanks to the burley used. Along with that flavor, there's also a sort of antique furniture aroma, delicate, dry, and almost phenolic. Combined, these two elements provide a taste that's even and pleasant, yet shifts around elusively to provide a stimulating, intriguing balance.

The room note of Spilman Mixture reminds me of somewhat sweet and smoky single malts like Scapa or Inchgower.

Pipe Used: various briars and meerschaum

zooey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zooey (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Don't quite know what anyone sees in this blend, tin note is decent but upon lighting all I get is some harsh chemical taste that unfortunately seems to enjoy lingering. It may be my body chemistry ( I can't smoke aros) but this is pretty ragged stuff. I'll let it sit for a few months but I'm afraid whatever they cased this with might take years to dissipate. I'd give it a pass.

Pipe Used: bent bililard briar

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I do this review by memory. I don't think it's fair to review a blend while smoking something else, (Margate in my case) but I just stumbled upon it and felt the urge to write a few words about it.

Back in my beginnings as a pipe smoker, I've read that they are recreating this old school blend, and that it's going to be exactly like the old one was. There were very unlikely alive people that remember it from "back then", so we believe the advertising that it is just like in the old days. I was curious to try what the old days tasted like, so I ordered a big tin of it. The packaging was old style, I liked that. Everything else was just.. bad. There was constantly some aroma that you can't define what it is exactly, that is present all the way through your bowl. Other stuff, (tobacco) was somewhat mediocre. Or it was there, but was constantly muted by that undefinable note. I gave it however, to a friend of mine, and he liked it immensely. Enjoyed every last puff of it. Therefore I don't want to be judgmental, there are people that like this stuff. And they like it a lot. Not my cup of tea however. Cheers!

Pipe Used: Don't remember anymore

Similar Blends: There is no similar to it..

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Very nice.

Sweet and light English mixture with little to no fuss or drama.

Perfect all day English, maybe even a summer English should you want one.

The star of the show is the sweetened Lat, the back-ups are there but nudge gently.

Can find nothing wrong with it, nice for a bit of old-fashioned piping.

Not special or loud enough to enter the 4-star region.

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I picked this up as a sample when I stopped by the Iwan Reis & co. store in Chicago. Great Town, Great folks and Great shop, what can i say. This mix was offered to me by Kevin himself on the basis of me mentioning Ruins of Isengard, and what a great match. Spilman mixture being a much more complex take on a non-aromatic, i hesitate to call this an English blend, but it certainly doesn't have any flavoring. It begins sweet, and has a familiar sweetness through out like Erinmore flake, hearty tasting but mild. the Latakia begins to show through midway in a more pronounced fashion, and finishes the bowl with the incense tones mixing with the sweetness creating a caramel swirl in the more mature flavors. it doesn't bite in is crisp and clean smoke with a lingering taste. this is a good one, like many tobies i try which i am not convinced i like I kept thinking of this later wonder why i wasn't smoking it. It is quite good- all day and all night really.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Purchased the larger can from an online retailer and cracked open over a year ago. It came very moist. Coarsely cut with an hearty tobacco aroma. Does best with some drying time and in the largest of pipes. This blend is extremely well balanced and made of quality components. Very medium and middle of the road in flavor and strength. Not a powerhouse if that is what one is looking for. Just consistent flavors that meld well. Believe a smoker of C&D's Old Hollywood would like this very much. Smokes cool, but will sting if puffed to hard. Good to have in the rotation when one wants something a bit lighter than a med heavy English, but isnt inclined towards aromatics.

M.Toney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M.Toney (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Received a generous sample of this from Iwan Ries with a recent order. I really liked the flavor of this mixture. It is a perfect tobacco in every way but I would like it to be just a tad stronger. The smooth smoking qualities of this blend might have fooled me though. Great burning properties and lots of mild, creamy smoke, however.

The Latakia apportionment in this blend was to my liking...staying in the background but just enough to provide depth & facilitate the melding of the tobacco flavors. Will I purchase more of this? You betcha! Therefore, IMHO, Spillman's Mixture deserves four stars for a very professionally & expertly blended mixture.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

An interesting blend, one worth a look if you like the old american blends from way back that combined burley and VA with latakia and various "other stuff", in this case turkish.

The quality of the leaf seems very good. My initial impression, that the moisture level was "about right", was actually off: it was hard to light and that first bowl smoked hot, steamy and bland. Proper drying (about an hour) of future bowls took care of that. For the first third of a bowl the turkish and latakia seemed to be a little more front and center. After that the rest of the bowl mellows into a smooth, somewhat complex all tobacco taste with a good burley base playing against the rest. I know a lot of my colleagues will call this "american english" and I'm not one to quibble, but this blend is as wholly american as mother and apple pie. If you enjoyed some of the old HOW blends (i.e. Revelation) you might want to try this, though this is smoother, milder and seems to have no casing/topping. I will definitely keep this around.

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A little smokey and a little tangy from the virginia/latakia and the burley adds a smidge of body to this blend. A tasty and mild english blend and a decent change if you want to give yourself a break from the heavier blends, which I almost never want to do, at least not during the cold months here in Chicago. But I could see reaching for this sometimes during the summer to give myself a change from the straight virginias and burleys. Just a little too mild for me right now...

Merven the Great Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merven the Great (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A bit too sweet for me. Tastes somewhere between aromatic and English probably nice transition bakky for someone wishing to convert to English without going all the way and visa versa for English smokers wanting aromatics.

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (32)

I must say this is an interesting blend. Nutty with Burley, a dash of Latakia enough to be noticeable, Turkish and Virginias to bring up the rear. My one problem was bite. I really wanted this as my all day smoke, but alas it bit me. Very disappointed in that regard as I really like the mild flavor of this old blend. Maybe I'll give it another try. I sure went through the 7 oz's pretty quick so that says something!

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice to pack and smoke. This is a genuine all day blend. The first 10 to 15 min's are tilted towards latakia, but after that, it is a very smooth blend with balance and satisfaction. Notes of its flavour include smokey, sweet and nutty. It is very, very cool, and requires no attention to smoke to full ash.

This tobacco is not pretentious and is truly a good cross-over blend. I liked the fact that the texture was very coarse- chunky and dense, yet requires no rubbing or work to keep burning with full flavour.

Using the pocket-hole method allows for a full smoke, with zero relights in a medium size bowl. I have ordered more.

I gravitate towards straight VA, but this blends reminds me of life after VA.

josephus65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
josephus65 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

An all day smoke for me. I like the natural taste of the mixture with the very nice room note. Natural sweetness with no after taste. I find this very much the mixture I smoked years ago when I was a student at The School Of The Art Institute Of Chicago. Then the shop was on the ground floor on Wabash and you could smell this mixture in the entryway of the shop as you approached the door. There were sample jars of many offering and many smokers were packing the shop everyday. This mixture brings back those old-days of the best of what I know of the Iwanries & company. Then came along Three Star but not the same now, too bad. I have a stock pile of this mixture. This is a wounderful smoke. Try it once you will buy again.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)

What a great and pleasant surprise this was. I read the reviews and when choosing to order a small travel style pipe I had a large tin thrown onto the order. In for a penny in for a pound I guess. I just had an urge and went with it. What a nice smoking tobacco. I enjoy the occasional aromatic and like rich English blends also. I lean toward burleys but also relish the Grand Oriental line. In short, my tastes run the gambit but a relaxing pleasant pipefull is what I really enjoy and that is what Spilman is to me. Nothing fancy here, just a smoke to be enjoyed as the rest of the world spins around me. Smooth, no bite, great tobacco after-taste. I dislike the light oily film that some tobaccos impart and IMHO I find that quite to be the opposite with Spilman. If you are looking for the machine gun assult of Squadron Leader (which I sometimes enjoy a lot) you will be dissappointed. Since taste is subjective in degrees some might not judge Spilman as an English but if you are an aromatic smoker looking to dip your feet into the the English pool you could do much worse. I took up the pipe to relax and experiment with different flavors, that makes Spilman a four star blend for me.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently purchased a 2.5 ounce tin from the fine folks at Iwan Ries. Great customer service. Upon cracking open the tin, you find a very nice aroma. I find this blend produces lots of smoke, lights well and stays lit easily. The taste is great with the various components nicely proportioned. I find this blend to be just right on the amount of nicotine and there is absolutely no sign of tongue bite here. It burns nice and slow, which is always a good thing. I recommend this fine weed to anyone.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)

Wow, what a great mixture! Leather, rootbeer, and cigarish aroma. No topping detected, just quality tobacco. Never leaves a bitter aftertaste, even when I smoke it fast. I've always enjoyed the smell of a "seasoned" cigar & pipe smoking room and Spilman leaves that type of room note. There's very little bite and leaves a rich tobacco, almost rootbeer flavor in my mouth. This one is a keeper.

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Yes! If you are a burley smoker and want that touch of Latakia. I love the cubed burley...burns nice and slow...I smoke this when I'm fly-fishing, when I'm home, heck anywhere. True tobacco taste and aroma....This is part of my usual rotation....

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

In every occasion this superb blend is an excellent choice!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Tin aroma is a little weak; not much stands out. First light; latakia that quickly fades, a little sweetness, and ocassional burley-ness. Mid bowl; tastes like a standard codger burley with a ghost of latakia flitting in and out.

This really is not a very good blend. It's not bad, there's nothing to not like. It just doesn't have much going for it. The plus side; it stays lit well, and it won't overburden you with complexity. So, it's a good "driving tobacco" for those times when you don't want to fiddle with something, and want something other than Carter Hall. Of course, a can of this will set you back considerably more than CH.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (17)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I liked this blend for the first few bowls, but it just got tiresome and boring. It is good high-quality leaf, but it is just missing something that would make it great.

Edit: blah. Very blah.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (165)

Sort of Frog Morton floats to Tennessee!

Rough and a bit wild cut. Lots of burley, some stoved Virginia I'm sure, and some Latakia. Could not spot the other Turkish. Smoked about half a tin (in three pipes for comparison) with a friend sharing some.

Medium, with Latakia but not real heavy. Heavier and more favorful than other burley types of this sort. Smokes cool with no bite.

A hint of sweetness to compliment the Latakia (why I compare it a little to Frog).

A little moist but not a problem. Sometimes hard to light but most of the time, once it gets going, it keeps going.

Reminds me a little of DPE too, and other old fashioned burley- latakia types. But as stated, a little more flavor and hint of sweetness too. That's why it becomes a bit intoxicating -- that is you want another bowl after the last.

An all day burley with some sweetness and extra body. Highly recommended for burley fans. (Can't comment on the QC issue yet.)

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I too bought this mixture for it's "retro" label back in October or November right after it came out. When I openned the tin, I was disappointed to find an American or English blend. I am discovering after putting my pipes away for 15 years that Latakia doesn't agree with me like it once did, and that is coming from one who smoked Black Mallory, Balkin Sobrannie, Dunhill's 965, often. I have found my taste buds now prefer flakes, especially those with Perique. So the can of Spilman's has been sitting in my humidor virtually untouched.

Then for Christmas I was given Gary Schrier's book, The History of the Calabash Pipe, a great read and collector item. After reading it I dusted off several of my 'Bashes' (in which I used to smoke English blends) and gave Spilman's Mixture another try.

It is all of the things the reviewers before me have written. After smoking it in my Bash all afternoon I found it did not bite, but left my palate tasting of Latakia which was not completely unpleasant. The Burley added a nutty flavor as the blend got going, and Virginia/Turkish played their roles. I agree with the reviewer who suggests that this is a "big bowl blend", and the Calabash handled it beautifully giving it time and space to develop its rounded flavors.

This is a typical American/English blend that is made from high quality tobacco that looks great and is in a nice presentation tin. It is a chopped tobacco rather than a ribbon cut, which I liked too. Although I will not smoke it as regularly as I do my flakes, it will be in my rotation and I will smoke it in my Bash.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)

After smoking about 10 oz. of Spilman, it's virtues are coming home to me--while it's kind of a "kitchen sink" blend, it works for me. The burley softens and sweetens the English-style blend. It burns evenly and dryly to a light gray ash. SM is a fine all day mixture, with a refreshing richness without being over-powering on the palate.