Grown near the Sea of Marmara, not far from the ancient Troy or Illium, this wide, fine-textured, reddish yellow Turkish tobacco variety is renowned for being smooth on the palate with a delicate aroma. Yenice is pronounced Yenidje in Turkish, and the Agonya seed from which it is grown is of Xanthi orgin (that first Yenidje of legend). This blend is designed to highlight the beautiful Agonya leaf's mellow taste and subtle fragrance.

Notes: From McClelland: Agonya is the famous Turkish tobacco from the Sea of Marmara district of Yenice (pronounced Yenidje in Turkish) which lies to the southeast of Canakhale. This is the anciently famous area of Troy or Illium south of the Hellespont. The Hamdibey or Agonya district plants the Agonya seed, a Kabakulak variety of Xanthi origin (that first Yenidje of legend). Agonya leaves are wide, fine-textured and oval with bare stems. This blend is designed to highlight Agonya's mellow taste and subtle fragrance. When the Greeks followed Helen to Troy, they were after booty but they were a few centuries too early to share this elegant treasure. How might a round of calming, agreeable bowls of Yenice Agonya have changed history?

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste

3.2
Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)

I love Oriental tobaccos. I've smoked them straight as well as blended. Once got a "care package" from an old Albanian doorman at an apartment building I lived in in Queens that his wife had smuggled over that was a big bindle of whole air cured leaf from somewhere up in the balkans that smelled like provelone cheese and incense and tasted like heaven when mixed with some bright Virginia or even just a little Skan regular. I think it was an offer of payment for my impromptu english lessions that I gave him almost nightly while smoking on the steps out front. Unfortunately I only shredded and prepared about 3 ounces from the thing (well over a pound by my reckoning)before absentmindedly abandoning it during the disintegration of my cohabitant relationship at the time. I doubt she got as much use out of it as I would have...

This stuff is awesome, winey and somewhat stinky in the tin, it benefits from a while to dry out. Packed into a deep billiard, the development of flavor during the smoke is outstanding and exotic. Notes of freshly cut leather, hyssop, faint caramel and strong tea dance around your palate and nose with fleeting and evocative nuance. Packed correctly, this can be smoked rhythmically and continuously with the feeling that you are building a crescendo of flavors. No tongue bite at all.

I've smoked a few of this Grand Oriental series (Samsun, Black Sea Sokhotun) and find this to be much more flavorful than the ones I've tried (Samsun was also fantastic in a different, mellow sort of way). No, this is not necessarily "knock your socks off" tobacco as far as intensity of flavor like something played by Rachmaninoff, instead, this is like one of those almost maddening Bach harpsichord fugues that make you want to roll your eyes back into your head and think about calculus.

Certainly a wonderful idea had by McClelland to put together this showcase. I'll be opening my can of Smyrna soon enough. Highly recommended.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

The Grand Orientals are sort of one-hit wonders. Most will never have a place in the regular rotation, but each is a unique and beautiful example of the art.

Yenice Agonya is a perfect blend of mild Virginias coupled with a mellow fragrant oriental, highlighting this varietal's special flavor.

Ideal for Virginia lovers looking for a little spice in their smoke, YA is one that I will keep on hand, even if I only make it through one tin in a year.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like to explain why this fine tobacco got a three rather than four star. It is great stuff, like all the Grand Oriental line. It seems to me though that this blend doesn't deliver the Orintal goods. The equation is imbalanced. Yes there are Orientals there, but the virginias just shine over the Oriental until you have a VIRGINIA BLEND (with a pich of yenice). Now on its own it is a fine flavorfull tobacco I would not hesitate to smoke, and have indeed set some back into my cellar. It just does not make the Oriental the dominant tobacco, which is the purported intent of the line, with the other ynidje and Samsun blends being classics in my eyes. Excellent tobacco that does not quite stay on mission.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I have mixed feelings about Yenice Agonya. It smells so lovely in the tin. The McClelland ketchup/vinegar smell that many people object to is definitely present, but there is also a warm, almost perfume-like smell presumably from the Yenice that is very enticing. The moisture level straight from the tin is perfect. The cut, a thick ribbon, packs easily, lights and burns well.

And then this is where the disappointment kicks in. Produces a thin, airy smoke and extremely mild flavor. It's a nice flavor, a tiny bit of sweetness from the Virginia and a subtle aromatic warmth from the Yenice, but you have to look so hard for it.

I find myself instinctively hitting it harder, looking for more flavor and denser smoke. But that doesn't work, it only burns hotter and you lose what subtle nuance of flavor that there is in this blend. At least it doesn't bite.

At 7 years, I suppose it's possible that I aged this one too long. Perhaps whatever picquancy or boldness there once was has mellowed to the point of blandness. Yenice Agonya simply doesn't deliver the warm, deep, exotic flavors that I look for in oriental tobaccos. It hints at it, but doesn't satisfy. I will say though that it leaves a pleasant taste in your mouth after smoking it.

I can't recommend Yenice Agonya to you unless you love extremely mild tobacco. It's quality tobacco, much too nice to throw away, so I sometimes smoke it in the mornings as a first pipe of the day, but honestly it's even too mild for that, to my taste. Once the tin is gone I doubt this is one I'll bother revisiting.

Pipe Used: various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: 7 years (2007 tin code)

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)

What a delightful blend this is.

It took me a very long time to appreciate this one -- I stuck with it for almost two years, in fact, because I sensed it would one day come alive for me. And it has. And it was worth the wait and the effort.

First it had to age properly. Without letting it age and dry, it's a very vinegary, overly-spicy blend. But letting it dry and mellow really makes the ingredients meld into a uniquely subtle and complex flavor that requires some focus to appreciate.

I also had to find the right pipe for it. It may be the most subtly temperamental blend I've known, one that required just the right bowl to really make it sing. For me, a dublin -- and only a very certain French dublin -- somehow concentrated the flavors to fully reveal its creamy, dry, smoothly delicate tangy spiciness. There's something mysterious about this blend: the oriental wafts and shimmers in the flavorscape, but only from certain angles.

This beautifully burning blend is a very subtle, complex and unique delicacy, one to savor for meditative times. It's a quiet masterpiece for the discerning palate, very zen. Oriental lovers owe it to themselves to give it a try.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I did smoke a bowl of this straight even though I know this is a blending tobacco. The taste is very fine and subtle and adds a bit of zest to any blend. The tobacco does not change the burning characteristics of a blend, however it does help to let the vinegar smell dry off for a few days before adding. Very well done,

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have tried this about 20 times times over a two year period. I bought 5 tins "cuz I got a deal" and I'm an Oriental fan. I have sold three of the tins but kept one for aging. That sure sounds confusing but so is my take on this tobacco. I like the spice, but when you compare it to Classic Samsun, it comes up short. No bite, cool and peppery but a little bitter toward the very end of the bowl. My angel wife always asks me if I've been burning pallets again when I smoke this one. Full but not overly creamy smoke, but I favor creamy smoke. This tobacco was a great education for me, it made me start digging into what really was an "Oriental" tobacco. I even joined the Turkish Trade Alliance to understand these tobaccos. This will be a go to for some folks, but it just didn't hit the sweet spot for me. God Bless the folks at McClelland for giving Oriental fans choices.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having enjoyed others in the Grand Orientals line, this one for me is just too delicate to the point that it doesn't deliver enough flavor for me. Although I generally smoke the G.O.'s slowly, I find myself puffing away on this blend trying to find the flavor. There are better choices in the Grand Oriental line, however, two stars for the use of quality tobacco and McClelland's effort to bring these tobacco's into the public eye.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, what a good find for me as my first foray into Orientals. I picked up this along with the Grand Orientals Highlander to try. I am still figuring out what I think of the Highlander, but I know what I like, and I really like this Agonya. I like its character, its consistant from top to bottom of the bowl, with minimal bite and I enjoy its flavors. Its not a subtle or nuanced smoke, but balanced and well done. I will be keeping more of it around on a regular basis, this has quickly become on of my favorites. In my efforts to pair down the varieties of what I keep in stock, this one clearly made the cut for me.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Well, not as impressive as Yenice Supreme. But still a nice experience and a must try for oriental fans.

A smooth and delightful smoke. Fits for me in the mornings. It does not offer you surprizes, a mild, spicy nice oriental taste.

Not nearly as impressive as others in the Grand Oriental line (Yenidje, Drama, Samsum) but still an ok and refreshing smoke. Nothing really jumps out here; it's pretty much just a smooth and mild smoke, perfect for early morning or as a palate cleanser. If you're into extreme subtleties in your blends, you should definitely try this. But for me, pipe smoking is for relaxing and this blend makes me work too hard looking for something to excite my taste buds.

This is probably a better blend than the two stars I'm giving it but I liked it less than the Yenidje Supreme and that got three stars from me. This is certainly one to try if you can't stand anymore latakia or perique blends and want something smoother and lighter, or if you're looking to break away from gooey aromatics.

Yenice Agonya is a very fine Oriental, and unlike others McClelland's, the vinegar taste is very mild. It's smooth, soft on the palate and sweet. In fact, an added pinch of Latakia would make it rounder and a bit less cloying. There are a few Orientals that I enjoy more than this one, but it's definitely worth a try.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Ye Nice Agony is surely is. If your criteria for acceptability are: latakia, nicotine, perique and more latakia, this is definitely one to avoid- send me your tins for disposal. It has nothing of interest for you. If you are a beginner, this is your weed. This blend is one of the tastiest and sweetest tobaccos I've ever puffed that has not been sprayed with artificial flavorings. Its smoke is delicious as well. I've long been a fan of orientals, but this stands by itself without a direct comparison. Pipeworks & Wilke may use this in a couple of their oriental blends (Bohemian Mixture, i.e.) and I always wished for more of it. Finally I got it. The downsides: I wish this were available in bulk; it is pricey in the little 50g tins that I have to ration. Second, although the flavors develop and change throughout the bowl, I dislike the final quarter and prefer to dump at that point, again expensive. But o god, the first three are wonderful.

What a treat this blend is!

I've been kind of jaded with many of the new blends that have come out in the last couple of years, but this one was a pleasant surprise.

The Tin aroma is delicious, yes it has the typical McClelland signature note, but the oriental is still noticable. It is a little wet upon opening the tin, but it still burned like a champ.

The flavor is really delicious, with slight cigar notes from time to time. The flavor is complex as well like some of the finest Belgian beers. the varietal is very apparent in this blend and very welcome indeed! I much prefer this blend to Yenedgie Highlander, even though that blend is another excellent one.

All in all, this blend is going to be a new staple for me. Just enough strength with plenty of complexity, great burning characteristics, what more could you want? Another bowl, thank you! Highly recommended.....

Gordy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gordy (16)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love this stuff. At first glance and sniff upon opening the tin not very impressive. Let it sit a minute then the fragrant sweet spiceness is revealed. Overall a very nice smooth refreshing smoke. Great anytime! Burns great! long cut! a gem!

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)

What a Bonus!! You smoke a pipe for 45 years you see some great blends come & go. I sure hope this one stays around a long time. This is my first sampling of the Grand Orientals.I usually stay with my english/virgina blends with an occasional briar of Old Ironsides to get my mind right. This tobac comes in a nice ribbon cut that packs real easy and stays lit. It immediately delivers a smooth, balanced, slightly-sweet taste. The sweetness isn't overpowering allowing the mellow orientals to develop as you puff on.A really enjoyable smoke.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (67)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an interesting blend that was recommended by a tobacconist who said that it was the best of the Grand Orientals. It is sweet without being too sweet, it is smooth and a delite to smoke. Usually I need latakia in the blend although I will turn to when I want a break from latakia and want a sweet smoke. Really nice. Now have sampled two of the Grand Orientals (the otherYenidje Highlander) and both were good and very different from each other and different than most blends I've encountered. Next time I am near a tobacconist that sells the range of Grand Orientals, will get a tin of each and sample. This one is good and highly recommended. I will see how it develops as I work through the tin.

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have devoted myself to the current orientals offered by McClelland and GL Pease. I am getting schooled in the flavors of oriental tobacco; I hope the schooling never stops. The flavors are subtle. In fact Carter, which I smoke as a break from these tobacco seem to be heavy.

Yenice Agonya is another fine burning blend with delicate flavors. The blend is smooth. The taste is sweet. I always felt straight virginia blends tended to turn sour in my mouth. Yenic Agonya allows me to taste sweet virginia without the sour. The balance is amazing.

I recommend this blend, but first lighten your taste buds. Instead of smoking just one oriental varietal at a time, I have all the varying tins open. Their differences are astonishing.

Also these blends can be smoked all day.