Grown near the Sea of Marmara, not far from the ancient Troy or Illium, this wide, fine-textured, reddish yellow Turkish tobacco variety is renowned for being smooth on the palate with a delicate aroma. Yenice is pronounced Yenidje in Turkish, and the Agonya seed from which it is grown is of Xanthi origin (that first Yenidje of legend). This blend is designed to highlight the beautiful Agonya leaf's mellow taste and subtle fragrance.

Notes: From McClelland: Agonya is the famous Turkish tobacco from the Sea of Marmara district of Yenice (pronounced Yenidje in Turkish) which lies to the southeast of Canakhale. This is the anciently famous area of Troy or Illium south of the Hellespont. The Hamdibey or Agonya district plants the Agonya seed, a Kabakulak variety of Xanthi origin (that first Yenidje of legend). Agonya leaves are wide, fine-textured and oval with bare stems. This blend is designed to highlight Agonya's mellow taste and subtle fragrance. When the Greeks followed Helen to Troy, they were after booty but they were a few centuries too early to share this elegant treasure. How might a round of calming, agreeable bowls of Yenice Agonya have changed history?

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

3.2
Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)

I love Oriental tobaccos. I've smoked them straight as well as blended. Once got a "care package" from an old Albanian doorman at an apartment building I lived in in Queens that his wife had smuggled over that was a big bindle of whole air cured leaf from somewhere up in the balkans that smelled like provelone cheese and incense and tasted like heaven when mixed with some bright Virginia or even just a little Skan regular. I think it was an offer of payment for my impromptu english lessions that I gave him almost nightly while smoking on the steps out front. Unfortunately I only shredded and prepared about 3 ounces from the thing (well over a pound by my reckoning)before absentmindedly abandoning it during the disintegration of my cohabitant relationship at the time. I doubt she got as much use out of it as I would have...

This stuff is awesome, winey and somewhat stinky in the tin, it benefits from a while to dry out. Packed into a deep billiard, the development of flavor during the smoke is outstanding and exotic. Notes of freshly cut leather, hyssop, faint caramel and strong tea dance around your palate and nose with fleeting and evocative nuance. Packed correctly, this can be smoked rhythmically and continuously with the feeling that you are building a crescendo of flavors. No tongue bite at all.

I've smoked a few of this Grand Oriental series (Samsun, Black Sea Sokhotun) and find this to be much more flavorful than the ones I've tried (Samsun was also fantastic in a different, mellow sort of way). No, this is not necessarily "knock your socks off" tobacco as far as intensity of flavor like something played by Rachmaninoff, instead, this is like one of those almost maddening Bach harpsichord fugues that make you want to roll your eyes back into your head and think about calculus.

Certainly a wonderful idea had by McClelland to put together this showcase. I'll be opening my can of Smyrna soon enough. Highly recommended.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

The Grand Orientals are sort of one-hit wonders. Most will never have a place in the regular rotation, but each is a unique and beautiful example of the art.

Yenice Agonya is a perfect blend of mild Virginias coupled with a mellow fragrant oriental, highlighting this varietal's special flavor.

Ideal for Virginia lovers looking for a little spice in their smoke, YA is one that I will keep on hand, even if I only make it through one tin in a year.

What a treat this blend is!

I've been kind of jaded with many of the new blends that have come out in the last couple of years, but this one was a pleasant surprise.

The Tin aroma is delicious, yes it has the typical McClelland signature note, but the oriental is still noticable. It is a little wet upon opening the tin, but it still burned like a champ.

The flavor is really delicious, with slight cigar notes from time to time. The flavor is complex as well like some of the finest Belgian beers. the varietal is very apparent in this blend and very welcome indeed! I much prefer this blend to Yenedgie Highlander, even though that blend is another excellent one.

All in all, this blend is going to be a new staple for me. Just enough strength with plenty of complexity, great burning characteristics, what more could you want? Another bowl, thank you! Highly recommended.....

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Presentation is medium brown ribbon with the occasional lighter strand. Tin note is slightly pungent with a hint of vinegar, along with some chocolate and herbal notes. The charring light is slightly toasty, nutty and creamy with an assertive touch of balsamic.

The mouthfeel here is very full and creamy, but the blend itself is not heavy. That balsamic note dissipates during the first third of the bowl and the remaining smoke is creamy, with touches of chocolate, wood, parchment, herb and spice. This is a tobacco that helps clarify why master blenders so often describe fine Orientals as "aromatic".

Like any quality Oriental, Yenice Agonya smokes cool and dry and is above average in smoothness even within its extremely smooth-smoking class. Flavor profiles, by the middle of the first third, are consistent to the end. The finish is dry with little residual moisture. As with any quality Oriental/Virginia, there is absolutely no bite to this blend.

The Grand Orientals series, to my palate, is a smashing success. And Yenice Agonya is no exception. A singularly unique and world class blend.

hedgehog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hedgehog (8)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Presentation: surprisingly dark in the tin, with long, waxy ribbon-cut leaf, and small chunks of what looks to me like black-stoved Virginia. The leaf is clearly superior quality.

Tin note: mild McClelland signature tang, combining sweetness and spice and a leathery, earthy undertone.

Light: Burns very easily, though this sample has been resting in a tin for about a year and is probably just this side of dry. It can be packed quite hard and still maintain an open draw, which helps concentrate the mildness of the smoke. Two charring lights is more than sufficient for the whole bowl.

Bowl: The fact that this is a mild and subtle tobacco does not mean that this is too mild or too subtle. The delicacy of the Agonya leaf is well framed by the aged virginias, and the overall balance is superb. I highly recommend dedicating at least a few days to this tobacco, to allow the palate to adjust to its soft-spoken delicacy. I also recommend a wider-than-usual bowl. My most satisfying smokes have been in pot-shaped pipes, an old Charatan Belevedere 4, a GDB Speciale, and two Stanewells, a newish 11 and and old 13 billiard.

The best comparison I can make is to subtle, mildly astringent teas, like high-grown Darjeelings, which are by comparison to heavier Assams almost etherial, but in the end infinitely more compelling, herbacious and mildly astringent, fruit-filled without any cloying sweetness.

In short, another triumph in the Grand Oriental's series. Not perhaps quite at the pinnacle where I would place Yenidje Supreme, but up there.

Pipe Used: Pot-shaped. Broader is better here.

Purchased From: Dad's Smoke Shop

Similar Blends: Yenidje Supreme, Drama Reserve.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)

What a delightful blend this is.

It took me a very long time to appreciate this one -- I stuck with it for almost two years, in fact, because I sensed it would one day come alive for me. And it has. And it was worth the wait and the effort.

First it had to age properly. Without letting it age and dry, it's a very vinegary, overly-spicy blend. But letting it dry and mellow really makes the ingredients meld into a uniquely subtle and complex flavor that requires some focus to appreciate.

I also had to find the right pipe for it. It may be the most subtly temperamental blend I've known, one that required just the right bowl to really make it sing. For me, a dublin -- and only a very certain French dublin -- somehow concentrated the flavors to fully reveal its creamy, dry, smoothly delicate tangy spiciness. There's something mysterious about this blend: the oriental wafts and shimmers in the flavorscape, but only from certain angles.

This beautifully burning blend is a very subtle, complex and unique delicacy, one to savor for meditative times. It's a quiet masterpiece for the discerning palate, very zen. Oriental lovers owe it to themselves to give it a try.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another pearl of McClelland, another masterpiece. This is a top natural mixture, really gentle and pleasant. No defects and with a clean, soft and harmonious taste. Without any doubt, this could be a four stars, but I give it only three stars because, in a hypothetical preference scale among Grand Orientals, in my opinion Smyrna n°1 and Drama Reserve are superior. Anyway a great natural blend. So, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and three and a half stars.

Recently I've been running through my notebook trying to find as many McClelland's blends as possible that I have reviewed but not yet placed on TRC. I was somewhat surprised that I had left off Yenice Agonya because I smoked it years ago when it first came out. I really liked it, but felt the Virginia leaf was too much of a forward player for a blend touted to be bursting with Orientals. Maybe the Virginia is why it is a little stronger than the others in the Grand Oriental series. A good smoke for sure, and not heavy, just not what I expected.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)

My second landing on Mc Clelland planet and I think I´ll stay here forever,mayhaps some trip to Hearth&home or Presby.The so called ketchup typical of this world for me is delicious,real matured leaf not as the crude one of CD-GLPease.Agonya doesn´t attain the level of original greek but is wonderful on its side and perfectly married with,sorry I repeat,the heavenly Va from Mc Clelland.In short less complex than Samovar or Black House,both excellent ones,but cleaner.One must be very careful about moist level,too high bad for Va,too low killing Agonya.It deserves a well proportioned bowl tilted to the wide side.Fine baccy.Bye forever Pease & Co,glad to meet you,McClelland.

Pipe Used: Wide bowl

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: Samovar with no Latakia.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A fairly dark mixture overall. This has a pronounced tin note of vanilla and butterscotch, that imo cannot possibly be natural. This is also the most moist in the tin of the Grand Orientals series. Underneath the topping is a soft, vegetal fragrance which I assume to be the highlighted Oriental leaf. There is also a green pepper type spice both on the nose and the back of the throat. This makes inhaling sidestream smoke thru the nose an interesting sensory experience. I would go as far as to call it a petrichor effect.

The last part of the bowl, the Virginias become somewhat harsh and hot and the nicotine presence rises dramatically.

Overall, this is a light, sweet and spicy tobacco that might even be considered a crossover blend for aromatic lovers. In truth, somewhere between a 2 and a 3 for me but I'm rounding upwards because, despite my reservations, it is an interesting tobacco.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having enjoyed others in the Grand Orientals line, this one for me is just too delicate to the point that it doesn't deliver enough flavor for me. Although I generally smoke the G.O.'s slowly, I find myself puffing away on this blend trying to find the flavor. There are better choices in the Grand Oriental line, however, two stars for the use of quality tobacco and McClelland's effort to bring these tobacco's into the public eye.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Ye Nice Agony is surely is. If your criteria for acceptability are: latakia, nicotine, perique and more latakia, this is definitely one to avoid- send me your tins for disposal. It has nothing of interest for you. If you are a beginner, this is your weed. This blend is one of the tastiest and sweetest tobaccos I've ever puffed that has not been sprayed with artificial flavorings. Its smoke is delicious as well. I've long been a fan of orientals, but this stands by itself without a direct comparison. Pipeworks & Wilke may use this in a couple of their oriental blends (Bohemian Mixture, i.e.) and I always wished for more of it. Finally I got it. The downsides: I wish this were available in bulk; it is pricey in the little 50g tins that I have to ration. Second, although the flavors develop and change throughout the bowl, I dislike the final quarter and prefer to dump at that point, again expensive. But o god, the first three are wonderful.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (70)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an interesting blend that was recommended by a tobacconist who said that it was the best of the Grand Orientals. It is sweet without being too sweet, it is smooth and a delite to smoke. Usually I need latakia in the blend although I will turn to when I want a break from latakia and want a sweet smoke. Really nice. Now have sampled two of the Grand Orientals (the otherYenidje Highlander) and both were good and very different from each other and different than most blends I've encountered. Next time I am near a tobacconist that sells the range of Grand Orientals, will get a tin of each and sample. This one is good and highly recommended. I will see how it develops as I work through the tin.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would like to explain why this fine tobacco got a three rather than four star. It is great stuff, like all the Grand Oriental line. It seems to me though that this blend doesn't deliver the Orintal goods. The equation is imbalanced. Yes there are Orientals there, but the virginias just shine over the Oriental until you have a VIRGINIA BLEND (with a pich of yenice). Now on its own it is a fine flavorfull tobacco I would not hesitate to smoke, and have indeed set some back into my cellar. It just does not make the Oriental the dominant tobacco, which is the purported intent of the line, with the other ynidje and Samsun blends being classics in my eyes. Excellent tobacco that does not quite stay on mission.

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (28)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I have tried this about 20 times times over a two year period. I bought 5 tins "cuz I got a deal" and I'm an Oriental fan. I have sold three of the tins but kept one for aging. That sure sounds confusing but so is my take on this tobacco. I like the spice, but when you compare it to Classic Samsun, it comes up short. No bite, cool and peppery but a little bitter toward the very end of the bowl. My angel wife always asks me if I've been burning pallets again when I smoke this one. Full but not overly creamy smoke, but I favor creamy smoke. This tobacco was a great education for me, it made me start digging into what really was an "Oriental" tobacco. I even joined the Turkish Trade Alliance to understand these tobaccos. This will be a go to for some folks, but it just didn't hit the sweet spot for me. God Bless the folks at McClelland for giving Oriental fans choices.

Not nearly as impressive as others in the Grand Oriental line (Yenidje, Drama, Samsum) but still an ok and refreshing smoke. Nothing really jumps out here; it's pretty much just a smooth and mild smoke, perfect for early morning or as a palate cleanser. If you're into extreme subtleties in your blends, you should definitely try this. But for me, pipe smoking is for relaxing and this blend makes me work too hard looking for something to excite my taste buds.

This is probably a better blend than the two stars I'm giving it but I liked it less than the Yenidje Supreme and that got three stars from me. This is certainly one to try if you can't stand anymore latakia or perique blends and want something smoother and lighter, or if you're looking to break away from gooey aromatics.

Yenice Agonya is a very fine Oriental, and unlike others McClelland's, the vinegar taste is very mild. It's smooth, soft on the palate and sweet. In fact, an added pinch of Latakia would make it rounder and a bit less cloying. There are a few Orientals that I enjoy more than this one, but it's definitely worth a try.