The same tobaccos as No.300 with a heavy coffee flavor.

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley
FlavoringCoffee
Strength
Taste

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have been on a 20 year quest to find a tobacco that truly delivers to my palate, the same taste sensation I get every morning when I enjoy my first pipe of the day with coffee. So, naturally I included Espresso with my C&D sampler pack.

Whew, once the tin is open you will most certainly smell coffee! At the match, you will most certainly taste coffee! The blend does settle down after the first dozen or so puffs and tobacco flavor does come through. A very nice effort on the part of the blender, but, like so many others of this type, it fell short of satisfying my tobacco/coffee desire.

Oh well.....

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Not bad for a coffee blend, and is less sweeter than whatever the blend was that Tinderbox used to sell. This one's not over the top sweet, with carmel and a slight vanilla note, too. Burned fairly dry, even, with no dottle. Nice change of pace. Deserves two and half stars, three stars when compared to other coffee blends, so I rate it at three for that reason.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

NICE aromatic! I was so disappointed with C&D's Coffee tobacco that I didn't have high hopes for this one. I was pleasantly surprised! This uses black cavendish as a base and it's wetter than Coffee but not too moist. A slight drying period (about 10 mins) was all that was required.

Along with the coffee flavor was strong hints of toffee and caramel - really a delightful combination! The room note was fairly subdued as aromatics go, but it was extremely pleasant. But the best part of this blend was the taste. Really excellent, with bursts of dark roast coffee at the forefront but enough tobacco to let you know you're smoking our favorite plant. This did not leave a wet heel. I may not appreciate all of C&D's aromatics but there is no question that they know how best to blend them so they please those around us but not at the expense of our taste buds.

If you like coffee, pass over C&D's #909 Coffee and go straight here! This is a treat! Certainly one of the best aromatics I've ever smoked.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

It actually tastes more of milk and coffe with sugar than espresso... It has a creamy sweetness which is actually quite pleasant. Mind me, I usually don't like aromatics because they smell much better than they taste, but this one is actually OK and enjoyable even if you usually like natural tobaccos. A fine black cavendish, absolutely not goopy.

Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is Nirvana for the coffee lover!There is absolutely nothing like this on the market today.I normally find coffee blends hot,perfumey,and lacking in flavor.The best one prior to this that I had sampled was HOW"s Cappuccino.That one is very sweet and satisfying,but nothing like C&D's Espresso. This is Espresso heaven. It is dark, rich and very heavy in black coffee flavor. C&D's black cavendish is nothing like anyone esle's.This is big,dry, and chunky!It packs a powerful aroma and room note. The really pleasant aspect of this tobacco is it tastes as good as it smells.All pipesmokers should appreciate this blend,provided they LOVE COFFEE.IMHO I should like to make a suggestion-SHPRITZ this with distilled water and let it sit overnight.I got it directly from C&D and it was a little too dry for my tastes. It will never goop up the pipe,nor turn acrid. 4of 4 Java stars! P.S. The ladies will love you for smoking this in their presence.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently tried this blend at the local tobacco shop that I frequent. It was mislabeled as apricot but it was very clear that this was a coffee blend. The coffee flavor is apparent but is much more noticable in the aroma. The moisture level is just right and it smoked evenly to the bottom of the bowl. The burley in this blend is of high quality as is all of the c and d blends. I highly recommend this blend to aromatic fans, I like aromatic blends occasionaly and this is not bad but is not something I would probably purchase any time soon.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you like coffee, this is it!

Read Sceny's review, as he has this blend pretty well zero'd.

I Love Black Coffee!

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Strong

This is probably my favorite C&D aromatic. While I have by no means tried all of their available aromatics, this blend stands out from those I have sampled. It comes very dry, of course, like most C&D blends, with a very strong coffee odor, present even through the mailing package! It is very dark, almost granular in appearance, with a very short (but not cube) cut. It packs and lights easily and, as per usual with C&D aromatics, the taste is no where near as strong as the smell. I can certainly taste coffee, and perhaps chocolate(?), but under the casing I can clearly make out the natural tobacco flavor. For the first third of the bowl, the casing is strong enough to compete with the very mild, soft tobacco base; but in a pleasant, rather than overwhelming, way. This tobacco burns cool and seems to stay lit very well, especially for an aromatic. In the second third of the bowl, the casing begins to burn off and the base tobacco flavor becomes stronger. It's a very mild, slightly sweet cavendish, not very complex compared to English mixtures, but certainly not the Lane's style goopy black crap. In the last third, the tobacco starts to get slightly wet, but this not at all severe and no pipe cleaner is required. This mixture provides a delightful room aroma, while not overwhelming the flavor of what is a very good tobacco base. The tobacco flavor may be a little mild for those used to GL Pease or Dunhill blends, but it makes a nice alternative to heavier tobaccos. And if you like milder cavendish tobaccos but hate the goopy mess, you'll love this one.