4noggins.com

Rich, Smooth Latakia Blend - Benjamin Hartwell's Inn was the Quail's Breath. The specialty was wild game. Ben traveled deep into the woods to hunt and fish.
His favorite spot to relax was Chesdin by the river. This is the rich, smooth Latakia blend he made to enjoy in those pleasant, quiet hours at Chesdin. The recipe
comes down to us as a reminder of the importance of simple pleasure at any age.

BrandBenjamin Hartwell
Extremely Mild
Taste

2.5
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My review of Chesdin Mixture is based on a tin that has a number of years of age on it so that should be kept in mind. I will echo those that compare this to Frog Morton. It smells very similar to Frog Morton on the Town in the tin. Like many McClelland blends it is quite moist and takes a while to dry down to my favorite humidity content. Once lit, it tastes like a sibling to FMOTT, albeit a not as good. It is a little stronger and a little less refined than Froggy. Where it really breaks down is as each bowl smoked progresses toward the bottom third of the bowl the flavor turns nasty. Chesdin becomes somewhat bitter and “ashey” in the bottom third.. I enjoy an occasional bowl of FMOTT as it was my very first “Englishish” blend, but there would be no reason to purchase Chesdin when I can have the real deal.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (64)

Disappointing for the cost.

Just kind of blends in with a load of other middle of the road English blends for me.

Nice lat, nice aroma, lit well, smoked decently, but for the cost and the fanfare that goes with it, I expected to have my hair blown back.

Refined, maybe just needs some age.

Pipe Used: Cant remember

Age When Smoked: Dont know

Purchased From: Cigars International

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

As other reviewers noted, this has a strong resemblance to Frog Morton, though I thought this had more vanilla flavor. The latakia is sweet and a little smokey, propping up the mild Virginia sweetness. Burns decently, but requires a couple of relights, and may leave a little moisture at the bottom of the bowl if you smoke a medium to big pipe. A nice introductory blend for those who are thinking of venturing into latakia/English blends with a little sweetness. Three stars for that type of smoker, two or two and half for the experienced ones.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Luscious, velvety, rich, voluptuous, how many adjectives can I apply to this blend which you can see I am obviously very much enamored with. If I could reward it with six stars I certainly would. I wouldn't have suspected such piping pleasure from an Altadis product. Chesdin Mixture has the perfect balance of texture, smokiness that is complimentary not overpowering and a rich but not cloying sweetness. Think dark chocolate (but it doesn't taste like chocolate). The contents list Virginia and Latakia but I would suspect also some quality Cavendish has been included as an ingredient. This blend lights easily, burns well but is very long lasting. No tongue bite but it is a moist tobacco so it should be sipped not huffed and puffed on. It contains some vitamin N but not in an overwhelming manner. Fill your pipe lean back and become entranced. Most highly recommended.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like this small series from Altadis. I think the packaging is nice, the little anecdotes attached to the tins are nice, and the tobacco is not too bad. Surprisingly enough my favorite blend from the Hartwell series is the aromatic in the line, evening stroll.

Chesdin mixture is a real middle of the road latakia based blend. The flavor there is solid and good but it is certainly not wow you good. It doesn't list it on the tin but I would suspect there is some black cavendish involved here? Black cavendish is not always a bad thing in the english world, as demonstrated by the great MM 965. It definitely makes a lot of sense to me that this blend is produced by Altadis. It has a lot of the characteristics of the other Altadis blends. This stuff is really moist, probably a high PG content. Drying this out is a little bit of a futile effort and you really just have to smoke it as is. It really comes off as a blend that was designed to sit in the bulk bins of small B&M's.

My main complaint with this blend is the cut. I hate the way this tobacco is presented. There are these big chunky folded mishmash of leaves here. This type of blend is so hard to pack well, especially in pipes that are of a smaller size. It is also really difficult to get this style of cut lit well. The cut and the moisture come together to make this blend a bear to get going and keep going. Once you are rolling it is not a bad blend.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought it in March 2010, but the tin had a seal underneath for 2- 2004. With the first puff I felt tongue bite, but I shouldn't judge hastily as it didn't only disappear as I continued, but also a gentle sweetness appeared that I particularly liked. What bothers me is that the tobacco remains highly humid, no matter how long you let it dry out. It is something that really puzzles me. It does not have the intense smell and taste of Latakia, because probably Virginia prevails. So we can say it not what Latakia smokers seek. Possibly it has a certain very vague aroma added to it. Perhaps.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a blend of very quality tobacco, smell is great upon opening a tin, it burns well and has enough strenght. Only it lacks in taste.

My rate: 3.0

PlaneGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PlaneGuy (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had an unopened can of Chesdin Mixture in my cabinet for about 5 years. I finally decided to break it out today. The first thing that I noticed that it is very sweet, with an almost maple-like flavor. I noticed that it lit well, and stayed lit without much trouble. It was also remarkably cool smoking. While it is not exactly what I look for in a Latakia blend, but it was a pleasant smoke.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I purchased a tin of this about 6 months ago and it sat in my cabinet until last week. I finally, curious as to what it might be, cracked the tin and loaded a pipe for the drive into work. First reaction: an incredibly exquisite Latakia based blend. Second opinion, later into the bowl: is that all there is? The Virginias seemed AWOL.

Yes, it reminded very much of Frogmorton (which I gave a 4 star -actually a 3.5), but it was still somewhat different. It seemed to share the same Latakia, seemed very, very close, but still different. The following day, a day 0ff from work with ample leisure time to experiment, I compared my open tins of the Frog and CM. Tin aroma was very close but the CM, my sample at least, seemed sweeter. Appearance was identical. Was I imagining a difference in the pipe? I loaded up one of my favorite Custombilt bulldogs and puffed away on the CM. Same experience as the day before. Two hours later (resting my palate some) I loaded another, identical pipe - both newly cleaned- and smoked the Frog. Very similar as my memory guessed BUT a discernible difference nonetheless. The Va components came through with the Frog where I tasted little if none in the CM. Edge to the Frog - more depth of favor. I could smoke Frogmorton everyday (but not all day) whereas I couldn't see my smoking CM except occasionally. Was the difference I tasted only a variance in two tins of the same blend. Obviously we're dealing with an agricultural product with all its variabilities. So, is CM the Frog? I've no idea. Based on my very subjective sampling I must knock a star off my frog rating for CM...down to three. Then comes PRICE. CM is the most expensive blend I own and I can't justify its price (perhaps from a double layer of markup being a contracted blend). Down another star.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

07062008 This blend, while very good from the fresh tin, is even better with age. I recently opened a tin that had been in my "cellar" for over a year, and I was greatly impressed. I now have 7 tins ageing and am smoking another. For me, IMHO, this is the perfect end-of-the-day blend, calming, relaxing.

06242007 Chesdin Mixture is a blend I go for when I want something mild. Being a lover of heavier english blends and the occasional VA, I wanted something that didn't demand a lot of attention at times, and Chesdin Mixture fills the bill. CM loaded easily in any size pipe I tried it in. It took the flame well, burned cleanly and smoked cooly throught the bowl with only the occasional tamp. No gurgle, no tongue bite, a clean, dry pipe. Could be an all day smoke for some. Certainly a good starting blend for someone wishing to experience English blends. 4 stars for this Benjamin Hartwell blend.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not too bad. Too bad better tobacco can be bought in bulk cheaper though. Try mclelland 5110 if you like this and don't mind sweet.

I could smoke this again though, really a pretty decent english style latakia blend.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I have a feeling like many others this is a copy of the Frog Morton blend... the only difference that I can distinguish is that the black Cavendish is a sweeter than I remember Froggie being. The VA. in this blend is quite nice and contrasts the dark leaves very well. Overall a nice blend I just think the blend could tone down on the sweetness a bit.

Stacey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stacey (40)

A very slow burning tobacco that you have to puff on like mad to keep going. The smell reminds me of they way your clothes smell after camping out for a couple of days and messing with a campfire almost continuously. The taste is slightly bitter and the whole thing is pretty uninteresting. If this is as good as Latakia gets, I won't be bothering any more.

Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I love all McClelland products that are made for other companies! This is no exception. A very nice variation of "FROG MORTON ON THE TOWN". Not at all the same, but in that vein. Lightly cased with Vanilla, a rather pleasant smoke while cooking or doing laundry. Better priced than the "Frogs" and a little different. Don't rush to buy it , walk slowly to get it and I think you'll be more satisfied.Good Stuff.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I enjoyed smoking this tobacco. It's a wonderful latakia blend and not so expensive as tinned tobaccos go. Smooth smoking, rich aroma and elegant label adds to this tobacco as a sophisticated latakia blend.

stoic066 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoic066 (7)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable

I disagree with esteemed Professor. It is almost identical to Frog Morton. In fact I smoked both of them one after another and I could not find any difference. It is definitely mild tobacco which to me is a weakness. I found myself puffing as hard as I could and all I was getting out of it was steam-like smoke and very little taste. I will not try it again.

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)

Benjamin Hartwell's Chesdin Mixture is not Frog Morton relabelled (as some have indicated). Granted, I was able to obtain some well-aged Chesdin Mixture, but unlike Frog Morton I like Chesdin Mixture. It is certainly a 'crossover' blend--appearance like an aromatic (dark and sticky) with a Latakia influence. There is a casing that reminds me of dates when I smell it in raw form and a vanilla nuance in smoking (as noted by others). Still, it is not overly or sickly sweet and does have a medium punch that pleases my smoking desires. On the downside, it occasionally burns a bit hot and leaves a residue on my skin when I touch it while packing. Still, this is a decent tobacco ('smooth' as the tin says) and a nice change of pace every now and then.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Appearance: Mostly dark leaf, combination of wide ribbon and rough cut. Fairly moist and stays that way for a long time.

Aroma: Smells like a crossover to me. There is plenty of Latakia, but there is also a definite sweetness here. This is not as heavy as Frog Morton, but does bear a strong resemblance to McClelland Coyote Mixture.

Packing: Packs well into medium to large bowls.

Lighting: Fairly typical two match light, occasionally needs three.

Flavor: Just a crossover blend for me, nothing enticing about it. All I can taste is the Latakia and a major amount of Black Cavendish, which is sweeter than I like it.

Summary: I won a can of this at a raffle. I won?t try it again.

Lord Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Cavendish (5)

At this point in my current circulation of tobaccoes, this is the Latakia i reach for when i'm in the mood. The tin smell reminds me of smoking hickory chunks. It feels very damp at first, but on closer inspection it is revealed as only very springy. Thus, it packs well, and the moisture is not a problem during the smoke. It burns slowly and provides a rich cool taste... one of the smoothest ive encountered. It does not however leave a satisfying cake, and i rarely am in the mood for latakia, though i keep this blend on hand.

~Lord Cavendish~

Revised: 08-04-04 Many have complained that this is just Frog Morton repackaged for Consolidated. Whether this is true or not, is not for me to figure out, although, I don't believe that it is exactly like the Frog.

Appearance: Medium to fine ribbons. Mostly dark leaves, an occasional medium brown.

Aroma: This is where I think it differs from the Frog. There seems to be a discrete amount of Vanilla casing present ala SG'S "Perfection" blend.

Packing: easy, but it is a littlle too moist, airing is recommended.

Lighting: Easy, once aired out.

Initial Flavor: Nice, smooth, light latakia flavor, vanilla is noticable, but in the background.

Mid-Bowl: buttery smooth, but monochromatic, not much complexity.

End of Bowl: Nice build up of strength, ash is grey and dry, no goop at all in spite of the casing. Slight chemical aftertaste that does not mix well if you plan to smoke other blends that day.

Overall: This is a nice easy latakia blend, perfect for those crossing over from aromatics. Not enough to keep me interested. I much prefer the original Frog or for more richness in this genre, prefer SG's "Perfection". Hard to get tongue-bite with this blend, the room note is tolerable to non-smokers.

Rating: 3 out of 5 points.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)

This appears to me to be McClelland?s Frog Morton relabeled for Consolidated Cigar Corp.?s Benjamin Hartwell line. Not that there?s anything wrong with that. I actually prefer this, as it tends to be priced a little lower than tins of the Frog. The same great smoothness and aroma of Frog Morton, and a great introduction to Latakia blends.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Revised 02-12-04 This is one of those old blends that has been out there for a while, but for whatever reason, I just recently tried. I initially gave this a high rating, but after reviewing many other blends, have to downgrade. This really is not a true english blend, but a cross-over. It has a very light vanilla casing. Upon opening the tin, you are greeted by a medium-cut ribbon with a good mixture of light and dark leaf. Aroma is mostly latakia with the afoementioned vanilla. This blend reminds me of SG's perfection, albeit less full. This does need to air out a bit before packing due to moisture. Packing is easy, lighting is easy. Overall, this is a decent flavored, middle of the road, smooth blend, easily smoked all day, difficult to get tongue bite from. It is inexpensive and the casing is very restrained. Might be a good intro to "English" styled blends for the beginner or something with decent leaf to satify the occassional sweet tooth. Rating 3 out of 5 points.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Strong

This reminds me a lot of Frog Morton but it seems a little bit more sophisticated and complex. Notice that i am comparing this to Frog Morton and not to more complex latakia blends. I find this to be a pleasant smoke. This may be a good all day smoke for some in that it is mild in strength and is hard to get to bite. If you like Frog Morton give this a try, as for me I smoke it once in a while.