Lightly sprinkled with exotic Orientals and spicy Perique, Cornell & Diehl's Daylight draws its true character from the choice red Virginias, smooth, dark Burley, and toasted black Cavendish that serve as its base. A bowl starting the day sets a fine course for what follows.

Notes: Previous Tin Copy: Lighter in the contribution of orientals and Perique, this blend gets it character from the elegant red Virginias and smooth, round burley that are melded with toasted cavendish. A bowl starting the day sets a fine course for what follows.

Blended ByRabbi Ira Stone / William Serad
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (201)

A superb chunky cut blend that presents a milder, more delicate interplay of Virginias, Oriental and perique. The tin note is sharp, pungent and a bit sour, the cut is very course. Right away Daylight smokes with plenty of flavor and a bit of attitude. It finishes with a sweet, spicy tang from the perique that's made even sweeter by the mellow Red Virginias and the delicate touch of unflavored Cavendish. The burley adds strength and a splash of bitterness and helps to firm up the flavor, especially further down the bowl.

The smoke is smooth but peppery and tingles the senses much in the same way C&D's Oriental Silk does, only with less perique. The Oriental component, which I would assume is Turkish Izmir, stands out in the mix with its mildly astringent flavor. For me, this blend really shines in a wider bowl. The slower and cooler burn of the wide surface area only enhances Daylight’s wonderful meshing of taste sensations, which are sweet, tangy, spicy, floral, woodsy, bitter, barn-yardy and a bit nutty. Perfect fodder for one of my favorite pot shaped pipes.

This is my kind of tobacco mixture, and definitely one to sit down and savor.

My impressions of this are similar to Or Olam. This smoke is a slightly milder flavor, and it does not have the slightly sweet taste. It has burley listed in the blend and that may be the only difference. It is a very good smoke that will not amaze you with complexity. It is a soft smoke - easy on the tongue, and the signature is the light orientals. It smoked very cool for me. I did not taste much in the way of perique, but maybe a touch of it complements the oriental signature. If you are curious about an light oriental that is not a flavor bomb or come with too much of something to mask the subtle flavor, give this a try. I am glad I bought it. It is a very good smoke.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I tried "Or Olam" as well (the names are similar, so I hope I'm not getting them mixed up). Actually, neither seemed to have a lot of perique, and I found them similar in taste as well. I had to give them both three stars, because I recognize the quality, but they are not for me. Bland to my palate, though some of my good fellow smokers might be knocked out, for all I know.