A classic Virginia and Perique blend with an unusual added note of exotic orientals. Red and golden Virginia are married to Perique and just a note of red Virginia cavendish is added for a smooth, sweet finish.

Blended ByRabbi Ira Stone / William Serad
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsCavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable, Strong, Very Strong

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have enjoyed this. It is a solid blend that does not have a lot of "wow" factor for me. The flavors work well, and I find myself smoking a fair amount of it without thinking much about it. It is a full tobacco flavor for me with some sweet virginia in there and some spicy orientals. I am not getting so much perique, but I can believe it is there. I am glad to have some around. FWIW, I found the bag aroma to be heavy and sweet with a little chocolate.

Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I was just gifted two ounces of this stuff. I was pleased to receive it as it is blended by a fellow pipe puffing rabbi but as it is a VA/PER, something I have nothad good experiences with I had not considered purchasing it but desired to try it. As I've posted in other reviews I'm challenging my preconceptions and prejudices in tobaccos and actually in much everything else so I happily loaded up a pipe for a go. I did have some mistrust so I used a little used Dr. Grabow Freehand so as not to mar the taste of any favorite pipe. So here we go. The aroma of this mixture was not to my liking at all. When it comes to cigars a bit of a "barnyard aroma" is considered a plus as it denotes proper fermentation and aging. However this tobacco was more dog-run than barnyard. Needless to say I keep my shnoze out of this in the future. Upon lighting my mouth was assaulted with an unfamiliar bitterness and a taste similar to the foul aroma of pre-lit tobacco. I tried smooking this for about a third of the bowl, some sourness emerged along with the strong acrid bitterness and a bit Virginia like sweetness seemed to lurk in the background but I found the taste quite horrid and the smell repulsive and in general love the smell of almost all pipe tobacco even the nastiest Latakia. I put the pipe down and ended the experiment. I still gave this tobacco which i found repellant two stars as I am not the one to judge this mixture. One should rely on those who enjoy mixtures of this variety as a regular pipe smoking experience for their recommendation. I'm going to rinse my mouth now.

CowBoy From Hell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CowBoy From Hell (12)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable

Def. taste the oriental blend and the virginas , as well as the smooth virginacavendish full strong taste zone out mellow feeling.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

the perique and the orientals is the first thing that jumps out at you with this blend followed by the virginia and the cavendish the perique is aggressive on this one almost feels like is kentucky rather than perique but i could be wrong the orientals on this one are of the sour taste it could be dubec but I'm not sure yednidje maybe? anyhow like I was saying the perique and the orientals are here for the whole ride with the virgina and the cavendish (unflavored) add a little bit of sweetness to the mix, is a very monochromatic blend, there are no surpises I specially enjoy it while I watch TV it goes great with some english breakfast tea or earl grey, if your looking for complexity here I did not find it but what i did found was a very good no intrusive mixture of tobaccos, there's no problem on keeping this lit or tongue bite i would rate this if I could a 2.9 star blend only because I would it like for the virginias to be more pronounced but this did no stop me from ordering 8oz for storage just to see what time would do to this, in the nicotine factor this one rates high but tolerable, if smoke fast the sourness of the orientals is more pronounced if smoke slow the perique comes forward, if you DGT the first couple of puff feels like smoking a very dark maduro.

Sample on a CAO meerschaum pipe that is dedicated solely to smoking virginia/oriental blends.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A bit dull-maybe that's too strong a word. I'm giving it three stars, after all. I was excited to try the Hebraica series: I think pipe smoking rabbis are kind of sexy (just an expression!), kind of like whiskey drinking Catholic priests. The tin was so plain! Just a stock tin with the name of the blend typed onto it. Shouldn't it have verses from the Torah or illustrations from Jewish history on it? The blend seemed kind of plain as well; good, but plain. It didn't blow me away like Sunday Picnic. I did smoke it all, however, but tended to blend it with Virginia flake to add more interest. The quality is unmistakable, I just don't completely share the good rabbi's tastes in pipeweed.

ferncourt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ferncourt (11)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Easy to pack, light, and burn.

Mildly sweet with terrific room note.

Great smoke for a beginner like me.