In the hinterlands just south of the Black Sea in Eastern Turkey, these prized Oriental tobaccos draw their sweet, nutty flavor from the rocky soil as they have done for 350 years. Enjoy the distinctive, mellow, pleasant character of the famed Samsun in this fine blend.

Notes: From McClelland: Samsun grows in the Black Sea region of Eastern Turkey. McClelland has secured the finest Samsun Maden-Canek leaves. They are small, thin, and elastic with a mellow, pleasant, distinctive aroma. Their sweet taste is like the sweetness in a nut meat or sunflower seed. They come from the hinterland of Samsun, mainly to the West of the Yesih Irmak River delta where the climate is very similar to the best Macedonian and Thracian growing areas. Samsun and all Classic Oriental leaves are picked one by one as they ripen, like flue-cured Virginias. If picked too soon so that the sap remains in the leaf during air and sun drying, the sugars will evaporate with the sap. If allowed to ripen too much on the plant, the leaf will be dry and brittle. Tobacco farmers of the classic Samsun growing region have elevated these harvesting and curing processes to high art. Taste what comes from 350 years of experience.

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste

3.6
Schrieber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Schrieber (1)

The main achievement of this blend is its ability to marry a rich, full, and satisfying smoke with delicate and nuanced aromas. While sweet (but not sickly so), this blend never burns hot or produces tongue bite, which to me is rarely encountered among blends that lean toward this type of profile. Upon smoking, one is reminded of the sweet nuttiness of Virginia tobaccos and a subtle fig and leather type flavor, presumably from the orientals. Others here have commented on floral notes but I have not detected these..dried fruit is the star here. The very slight sourness that so elegantly balances the sweetness seems to come from a type of fermented quality contributed to the blend by the dried fruits..this could perhaps be interpreted as floral. The importance of balance should not be understated, it is key here. This fact is what makes Samsun such a satisfying and rewarding blend. This is full-on, blended natural tobacco at its best. Others here have commented here that while this blend is indeed of good quality and warrants purchase (if only for its novelty) it is probably not suited to regular smoking rotation. I very much disagree...This blend provides a superb counterpoint to Latakia-heavy English style blends and is in my opinion a fantastic all day smoker. If one doesn't enjoy this blend, then it is perhaps likely that this individual simply doesn't enjoy the flavor of tobacco (perhaps I won't go that far, though the temptation is there). For this reason it makes a good introduction to English style blends (In my approximation, Latakia presence is not a prerequisite in order for a blend to be described as English) for the smoker of aromatics or the novice. I should confess that I almost neglected to write that last statement, lest it scare off more seasoned veterans or those who desire a full-bodied English style smoke. Fear not dear reader. To the contrary, this blend does an incredible job at highlighting what makes pure, expertly blended tobacco so delightful. I simply cannot get enough of the stuff. I give it my highest recommendation. Delicious and positively addictive..great way to start the morning and to continue the rest of the day.

Pipe Used: Briar (would also shine in a cob)

Age When Smoked: Smoked immediately

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, I think I’ve got just enough tobacco reviews under my belt to feel comfortable squeeing like a Japanese school girl. This one has it all - cut, balance, complexity, smokability, and availability. This will be a longish review, with the intention of helping fellow aficionados decide if this offering might be a good fit for their personal tastes, so bear with me.

Tin note: Dried prunes, with a hint of mocha, toasted pecan and bran muffin. Texture is springy and moist (possibly a touch of humectant present), and benefits from some brief drying.

Appearance: This is a coarse cut ribbon, and the coarse cut was THE perfect choice for this particular blend, because it helps it burn cool and slow, almost like a codger burley. As for tobacco varieties, there appear to be at least three distinct types present - a moist dark leaf (almost perique in appearance), a red leaf (fire cured ?), and a light brown leaf (possibly a bright leaf).

Skipping ahead to mid-bowl ... this is easily one of the most complex smokes I’ve enjoyed to date. Each of the three tobaccos in this blend bring their own qualities to the table. I have no idea which is which, so I’ll just go by flavor analogs to western varieties I’m already familiar with. The primary base seems to be a leaf exuding a rich nutty note (pecan & bran muffin) that evokes a mellow high quality burley that’s been slow toasted to bring out it’s subtle sweetness. Underneath that I detect a component exuding a subtle sweet/tart note reminiscent of dried apricots. There’s also a complex spiciness that probably comes from a combination of highly mineral soils and possibly a perique-like fermentation process - I get a healthy dose of fleur de sel and pepper, trailed by a very distant hint of Saigon cassia (the strain of cinnamon used in ‘red hot’ candies). There is also a very subtle hint of smoke, indicating at least one of the component varieties of this blend was fire cured.

The truly impressive thing about this blend is how exquisitely it ties all these interlocking complexities into a well balanced whole, and that it was given just the right cut so that it smokes cool - you can puff this fairly aggressively without it overheating. The result is an engagingly nuanced, spicy and satisfying smoke, with just enough coolness, tartness and sweetness to keep it from becoming acrid, heavy or fatiguing. It’s a minor masterpiece of growing, processing, and blending, and clearly demonstrates the depth of experience behind its manufacture.

A solid four stars from me. Picture a high end VaPr-Ky blend, done using all Turkish/Oriental tobaccos, and that will give you a rough idea of what to expect. This should appeal equally well to both VaPr and English fans alike, as well as hardcore tobacco geeks.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown (tin not vintage dated)

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

The tin aroma is true McClelland Virginia but less ketchup-ish, more like roasted, even sun dried tomatoes. After the tin has been opened for a few minutes, the savory, food-like aromas, and sweet and sour notes fade slightly from the foreground. Making way for grassy, sweet roasted grain Virginia scents, raisins, and unsweetened chocolate (cocoa powder).

Perfect burn, loads of smoke. Virginia is thick in the background, Orientals give clean delicious exotic flavors, with subtle, almost ghost-like, undertones - tangy, sweet, savory, salty (sea air), very earthy, ripe cheese, bitter herbs, dark chocolate, cured leather, even Wax Lips (My fellow Baby-Boomers may remembers those).

Complexity in it's most subtle form. Tobaccos in perfect balance. Delicate and sensuous. So tasty you feel like you should be chewing it.

Basically - it's damn good. This is one of the best Oriental blends I've had. In fact, it's now one of my favorite blends, period.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Delicate, sweet and nutty. Having gone through most of the Grand Orientals, this remains my favorite. After a bit of "air" time I find this tobacco to be best sipped. I especially enjoy it slowly in a Churchwarden. I don't find this to be a complex smoke, just straight forward with some flavor growth toward the end of the bowl. I have noticed a few comments on cost, for me, a former cigar smoker, it seems very inexpensive to me! LOL.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

As the other Grand Orientals series tobaccos from McClelland, this one offers an enjoyable, nice in strength, tobacco tasty and an unforgetable smoke.

If you are get used with the general sweet-sour smell and taste of McClelland tobaccos, you'll see also in this tobacco how it pronounces the overall taste and fun of the smoke. The main caracteristic cigarette like taste of Samsun leaf is rounded perfectly with McClelland's specific smell.

This tobacco packs, lits and smokes effortlessly. I highly recommend to air the tobacco before smoking for first time. And after opening the tin you'll see in a couple of days that the smell and flavor of the tobacco settles nicely. Actually this happens with all the McClelland's tobaccos I've smoked.

A must try real Turkish.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is as good as it gets regarding a plain old good smoke. Easy to light and quick to burn, Classic Samsun is a bell ringer and a delight for those who enjoy the "sock it to me" good old boy taste of tobacco.

Comperable in some respects to the old Dunhill #8632, but I just can't remember whether that hard to find "My Mixture" blend contained any Samsun leaf.

I may personally believe the strength could be revved up a notch here, but then, I like face slapping tobacco. This one is more gentle and will certainly be forgiving to those who puff like a freight train. Unusual flavor presentation that should be given a try just for the fun of it.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the most interesting blends I've ever smoked. A coarsely cut ribbon, it packs and lights easily and stays lit. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I found no trace of sweetness in this blend - none at all. I found it earthy and lightly spicy, and as some reviewers noted, a body like a good burley and a bit of a cigar note that was not unpleasant. It was interesting to note the reference to chocolate, as I noticed a hint of it in the room aroma - of the unsweetened dark variety.

This blend provides a mouth filling smoke and the heavy clouds I blew out were constant rather than just after a light or relight. One thing I noted that I didn't see from others is that the taste became extremely harsh and cloudy just after a relight, but settled down a dozen puffs later or so. That is more a characteristic of burley than virginia, in my experience. The taste does not improve as the bowl progresses and the taste could be considered monodimensional in that respect if there weren't so much going on all the time! There's no latakia here, so the oriental is in the forefront. My only minor complaint about some of the other orientals in this series is that the orientals seemed to take a back seat to virginias. Not here. I think the base tobacco here is burley, and that's perfect because it allows the classic taste of samsun to shine through and take center stage. This smokes dry, and by that I mean not only does it not produce a wet heel, it leaves a dry, somewhat chalky finish.

My recommendation for reviews is always based on how well I liked them. This gets 3 stars for that and I believe I'll pick up a few more tins. As far as actually recommending this to others, I think everyone should try it; hence, 4 stars for my pipe smoking brethren.

ripdundee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ripdundee (2)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wish I could compose the words and sentences to do this tobacco the full justice it most assuredly deserves. If one cares for Oriental tobacco at all, this will very easily go to the top headings of your list. A taste of spice, a taste of sweetness, a taste of earthiness. None of which are overwhelming, but migrating to the front for prominence, staying long enough for you to enjoy and be pleased by that sensation, then withdrawing to the background for the next momentary sensation to please you and it then also drifts into the background to be replenished by a new sensation of pleasure.

It does not bite your tongue or scorch the roof of your mouth. I have not been able to push it to become a nuclear rocket sled on a stick. I make the suggestion to get your pipe packed correctly so that you may smoke it as slow as possible, not to avoid heat, but so that you may "sip" this tobacco and truly enjoy its spectrum of flavors.

I highly recommend this tobacco not only to Oriental tobacco lovers, but for those willing to change from aromatics or Latakia smokers wanting a change of pace. It is on my lists of "Always Have" and "Grab Now."

My Dunhill pipes love it and so do I.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Group 4 Shell Ring Grain

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Can be hit or miss for me, but mostly hit. In the right pipe, smoked carefully, it can deliver an outstanding oriental tobacco smoking experience. I find it works better in larger bowls. Rich, dense, flavorful smoke. Burns cool and stays lit for me, and I'm certainly no pro in that department. I still have a few tins of the others in the GO series I haven't tried yet, but so far Classic Samsun stands out as one of the better ones. 3.5/4.0

EDIT: Changing the room note from Strong to Pleasant. When you come back into a room where this is being smoked, the aroma is amazing! Rich, fragrant orientals and warm, toasty virginias. It's a gorgeous smell.

Age When Smoked: 6 years (2007 tin code)

Lyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lyle (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This review is based on smoking two 50g tins of this tobacco.

This is a very mild, but delicious and rewarding tobacco. I find that it needs to be smoked slowly and packed a little tighter than I'm used to for greatest effect. When packed loosely or smoked quickly, it will have a generic cigarette-like taste. Smoked slowly, it is slightly sweet, spicy, and a little tangy. I repeatedly get an impression that reminds me of Djarum kreteks, which is not to say it tastes like cloves, but rather something reminiscent of the base tobaccos.

I like all of the Grand Oriental tobaccos that I've tried so far, because I love tasting Orientals without "tasting around" the Latakia, and this is my favorite.

Because of its mildness in flavor, I have decided to dedicate a pipe to this tobacco for future tins.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

This is the blend that has turned me on to try the rest of the Grand Orientals series. Quite good. And sip slow, not fast, or it will ruin it. I thought I hated it at first, but that was because I was huffing and puffing.

Sweet, delicate, satisfying, and not too rich, so that this could be an all-day for some.

UPDATE: I figured I should come back and say that the roomnote on this is fantastic. A friend was smoking it near me and it was amazing. I'm not sure how anyone could dislike this note, smoker or no.

This blend is another treasure given to us by McClelland! I really like Samsun. But, this blend is a gentler oriental blend that needs to be smoked gently to draw out its complexity. I enjoy this blend in the evenings after dinner in my back yard, puffing gently and contemplating life as the sun goes down...

While not one in my top rotation, still a great one to have and enjoy from time to time. I seal mine with some aluminum foil and then put the plastic cover on.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Classic Samsun is a stand out Oriental blend. Opening the tin makes you want to grab a fork and napkin (I found it best in a pipe though). Savory, sweet, smoky, tangy ...these simple words don't even work when trying to describe this blend! Read some of the reviews and you'll see what I mean. Classic Samsun comes moist in the tin, and smokes much better after a good drying. The burn is good and the smoke is thick and silky. Once it's burning about mid bowl, the flavor opens dramatically, and I can get lost in delicate dance between rapturous flavor, and tongue bite! Not strong with nicotine, so fill a big bowl and getting into it.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Along with Drama Reserve, my favorite from the Grand Orientals collection. Low on vinegar casing, this is the more "burleish" of all Orientals, with an earthy, almost nutty taste and excellent burning properties. And the only one I can smoke twice in a row without getting bored.

A must try.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Throughly enjoyed this blend. Classic Samsun is a subtle blend, and best smoked in a pipe that smokes neutral, such as a meer. It has a lightly creamy flavor, with a natural sweetness. There is a nutty component, such as in a good straight burley, but without the cigarish flavor or bite of a burley.

I'll add to this review as I'm not doing justice to the blend. Suffice to say, this is what I want my aromatics to smoke & taste like.

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (32)

UPDATE II: (07-10-08) This tobacco just keeps getting better and better! I sip it slowly, treating it like a Turkish hookah, and tease the smoke out until the flavor rises, then letting back until it's almost out. A few rapid puffs bring back a wave of pure, smooth flavor and I repeat this to tobacco ecstacy. If McClelland can keep the quality consistent, they've made my Top 3 rotation for a LONG time to come!

UPDATE: Note that the character of this tobacco changes drastically when you reach the bottom of the bowl. The room note changes to a MUCH fuller and more acrid cloud and the spice will hit you like a freight train (which I enjoy.) So, to keep with the analogy, the last few puffs of the bowl are the stinger at the end. STILL a favorite, but changing the room note to "pleasant to tolerable" and the taste to "medium to full" to reflect this. I still highly recommend it, though!

This blend is the apotheosis of orientals, in my opinion. With that said, let me make the analogy of a symphony to press home the characteristics of this fine tobacco.

At first light, you can feel the bass warm up. Tubas, low brass, tympanis meld together in a mellow earthiness that caresses the tongue and is never harsh. This is complimented at the top of the bowl by a subdued spice, a pianissimo piccolo that switches to the high brass by midbowl. The notes of the main melody ring clear from here to the end, yet that soothing bass line is never overpowered nor does it ever falter. As the conductor, you alone have the power to keep the bassline going, but you can also pull harder and faster to bring more of that top melody to the forefront. At the finale, a pleasant burst of spice hits the senses and the aftertaste is a warm fade out; applause for yet another fantastic performance.

Although this tobacco isn't as complex as others (the flavors don't seem to change much, they only swell in size), it smokes clean, cool and mellow, yet packs plenty of flavor in the bowl. I would say that this is an all-day smoke and it's also got a wonderful room note for those days in the cafe.

Whether walking through the woods, reading a book or sipping a cup of coffee, this tobacco is a loyal companion and music to my senses!

A DEFINITE recommend! Even if you're not a big Oriental fan, this won't disappoint you a bit!

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

It is kind of tough to review such a blend as this. Kudos to McClelland for putting together this series to allow people the opportunity to discern the flavors of individual leafs that are often buried within other blends. So often you hear Oriental and Turkish without realizing all the different tastes that that label encompasses.

So with that I do recommend this to someone to garner the taste of Samsun, because it is definitely the star of the blend. So much so, that the McClelland scent haters will rejoice at the lack of signature Va smell issuing forth from the tin. I think that is how it should be with the GO series as the Va should just be along for the ride, offering minor sweetness to the blend.

That said, I am not too crazy about this blend as the taste of the samsun is just a little too sour for my palate and I feel it just needs something else and this, perhaps, is the reason it is more often used in the condimental sense. Not even the fact that the tin was six years old when I popped it could save this one for me.

So I don't recommend this for a tasty smoke unless you are, perchance, a die hard oriental lover which I am definitively not. I do recommend trying out the series for what it is. A chance to taste the different flavors of oriental strains of tobacco. It is for this reason that I will continue to try them all out as well, but I likely won't reorder any of them.

Purchased From: Carmel Pipe Shop, Carmel, CA

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Was hoping for something more, a pleasant and very mild blend with nothing much standing out as far as flavor goes. This would be a good blend for a new smoker to break into Orientals, just not my cup of tea.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (29)

I'm a new pipe smoker. My taste is not refined enough yet to equate the flavors to nuts or fruit or something similar. I may never get that. I know when i like something and when I do not. While I have not found other McLellands to be very special, I am quite pleased with this. I do detect some of the McLelland vinegary scent out of the tin, but not as much as some others like blackwood flake. It has a very nice spicyness, you can feel it but not overpowering. The flavor is very mellow and pleasant. It smokes pretty easy, without many relights. Overall very enjoyable.

I was disappointed with this, some of the other Grand Orientals are much better. I find the flavor too mild, low in "N" and I have a tendency to smoke this fast and get some tongue bite. Just not for me.

s-liskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
s-liskey (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend hits the spot! I smoked this blend after a few years of aging and I had no problem with tongue bite at all as others have posted! Aside from ph I have wide open draw and find that tighter draws give me tongue bit on a regular basis. This bend has a unique taste that rocks the senses! It's very clean and refreshing yet has enough body and taste to satisfy. The T-leaf takes over on this one and is made more complex by the Virginias. The room note is pleasantly wonderful and the taste is a nice tempo change. It burned clean all the way down and left a nice ash. It was never harsh, even at the bottom of the bowl. And it fished just as it had started, A winner!

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've tried a few of the orientals from McC now and they have been hit or miss for me, this one, while being a bit temperamental has been a hit. If I don't smoke it slow the flavor dies for sure and it is sensitive to ghosted pipes, but when done right in the right pipe, it shines with a nice tangy, sultry sweetness that lingers in your mouth long after each puff. A wonderful mild tobacco with an excellent room note and a unique personality!

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)

Neptune's trousers this smoked with a bite! I was trying to sip..but at the 1 mph mark I couldn't get any slower. I set it down to rest for a bit, came back about 10 minutes later, and it was still lit!!! Unheard of with a pipe tobacco. The tin was from 2007. I'll moisten it up a bit and try it again. It honestly smoked so hot I couldn't taste much.

Russtafarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Russtafarian (3)

I thought the flavor was bland initially, but it grew on me and now is a very clean tobacco flavor without many additives.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

A perfect marriage of Virginias and fine Turkish tobacco. In a churchwarden on the seashore on a sunny Spring day, it is a little slice of heaven.

Compared to Drama Reserve, it is milder, and it has a more floral perfume that diminishes after the tin has been open for a few weeks.

deepbass9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
deepbass9 (7)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I'm all about variety, I'm all about quality and my palate is wider than many. Tobacco moisture, tongue bite, mood, smoking circumstances and other controllable variables won't be covered. This review is based on multiple bowls over time.

This is a wonderful blend that I can't imagine anyone not enjoying. It's light, mild, smokes easily and tastes great. Sweet and savory, complex but subtle

This an excellent tobacco.

The Layman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Layman (9)

I've been trying these Grand Orientals and this one has still stayed at the top of the list. As the name implies, this is really a classic, mellow smoke that has become one of my go-to tobaccos. She likes to be smoked slow and has the potential to bite if you are a huffer, but seriously all you have to do is relax and enjoy the subtle flavors as you let it caress your tongue. It's actually better when you crack the tin open, put the top on and just let it sit for a week or two to get just a tiny bit drier. Truly a tobacco that you can enjoy at any time of the day.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)

Delicious orientals dominate the added Virginias making this an ideal a.m. tobac or any time during the day. The sweetness and earth notes continue throughout the bowl. I like my tobac bordering on crispy so a 10 minute drying was required. I have found in my 45 years of pipe smoking people smoke their tobac too wet causing instant tongue bite. This is a result of the moisture producing HOT STEAM which in turn burns the buds right off your tongue. I will definately add this tobac to my rotation.A sure winner!!!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)

I've always favored orientals and was delighted to find McClelland devoting a specialty niche for them. After a while, I tire of latakia permutations and perique disagrees with me.

As a favorite go-to smoke, I've always kept at least two tins of Frog Morton Across the Pond handy. Classic Samsun and its partner Yenice Agonya surpass it in every way but price. I mention FMAtP not that they are directly comparable, but fans of that version of Frog would enjoy this tobacco as well.

The room note is beloved by a (female) cigarette-smoking companion who eagerly shares my pipe when I light this up. As with many other subtle tobaccos, I enjoy it most in a plain clay pipe (though they are not as comfortable in my mouth). Because of the subtlety of tastes and mildness, I'd advise against it for those who cannot get enough latakia and perique. This has an entirely different appeal.

This blend has immediately smokable, unlike most Pease blends, in my experience. Yet it does age well, especially for an oriental and even keeps fresh in an open tin, a fact I appreciate because I smoke relatively infrequently these days. I'm just now finishing a tin I opened almost two years ago and am looking forward to reordering more of this and others in the series. My only regret is that this delightful mixture is still unavailable in bulk.

This mixture deserves my highest regards.

Update 5/13: I opened my third, maybe fourth tin. Although just acquired, it dates from 2007. I was never able to summon the willpower to cellar this blend; I'm fortunate aged tins are still available. Six years after tinning, the tobacco has no bite (can't recall it ever did), the sweetness is neutral to slight, the aroma of the smoke is heavenly with a touch of cedar. Unlike others in the series, I cannot stop until the last of it is burned in a medium bowl, though the first 2/3 are the best. The components are perfect in proportion, perfect for my smoking habits and nicotine requirements and I continue to enjoy this thoroughly. I look forward to ravaging this tin, enjoying every puff.

SammyBirdland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SammyBirdland (2)

This is a great tobacco. The taste is nice and sweet and kept my interest throughout the entire bowl. Something about the sweetness seems vaguely dried-fruity to my tongue, in a very subtle way.

Highly recommended.

LeFlaneur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeFlaneur (6)

I was a newish pipe smoker who had tried aromatics and always felt they were all about smell and not about taste, so I wandered off trying different VAs, Englishes and the Grand Orientals line. Pretty soon I got to this and it was like a light bulb went off. Oh now I get it.

This is not strong tobacco. It's not a wallop of flavor but more a little journey for my taste buds. There's a little nuttiness, then sweet, then earthy, I just don't get bored with this one.

This holds a special place in my heart for starting my love affair with orientals. I would recommend this to anyone, especially wandering newbies. Smoke this and see what a great natural tobacco can be.

Benton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benton (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was my first McClelland blend and I sure got lucky. I've got about five other tins open and usually never smoke two bowls in a row of the same blend, but when I opened Classic Samsun the rotation came to a screaching halt until the tin was empty.

My favorite feature is the fantastic turkish aroma. The nicotine levels do seem very low, but I don't mind.

I like this blend so much that I wish my tobaconist wasn't an hour away so that I could get more this afternoon.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

What an excellent tobacco blend! A luxurious and indulgent smoke in every sense, elegant in its simplicity, an oriental rite of passage rife with dense, silken billows. Starts off mild, nutty and slightly sweet, and the orientals are intriguing, flavorful, and interesting, in such harmonious balance with the delicious trademark McClelland's virginias that there are simply no distractions from your enjoyment. No tongue bite, no goop, a cool, slow burn, tasty and mellow from start to finish with increasing intensity and dynamics of flavor as you go through the bowl, and a pleasant, rich Turkish room note, to boot. This is the grand, gentle introduction to fine orientals for the beginner, but can still be the constant, rewarding old friend to the experienced, and shows just what a good mild oriental blend should be. Do try it in a variety of pipes until you bring out the qualities you prefer in the blend. Perfection in my book, and my favorite oriental blend to date. Yum.

UPDATE: TURKISH DELIGHT! Burns so cool and dry! Just goes and goes, no re-lights necessary here if you are even mildly attentive. Ethereal, savory, sublime, euphoric, intoxicating, delicious. The mild spiciness grows and morphs gently but steadily, fringed with rewarding swells of mild but complex flavors, and by the middle of the bowl, opens up a can of tasty, rich oriental whoop-a$$ on your senses. Never gets over the top, however. Just don't smoke it too aggressively, or like any turkish blend, it can get harsh and dry/numb the back of your throat. Try this blend in a larger-diameter bowl, sip slowly, and it stays sublimely mild and smooth. I even tried it in an inexpensive Savinelli 315EX Hercules prince, and it kicked butt and took names, right to the bottom of the bowl. Unstoppable stuff. Both flavor and fragrant turkish room notes are top-notch all the way.

KiwiPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KiwiPipeSmoker (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

If someone was thinking of starting to smoke a pipe, this is the tobacco I would suggest. Is has a mild taste, low nicotine and a nice room note.

However, I don't want anything thinking that means I don't think a hardened veteran pipster should try some. (Okay, maybe if you smoke XXX Rope, Rum Twist and other huge blends you might not get this tobacco). This tobacco has a perfect sweetness to match the light spice and earthyness of the oriental leaf. Definitely not cloying.

If this tobacco has more nicotine, I think I would smoke it all the time. That to me is it downside: not enough vitamin N. If you don't care if you tobacco has any nicotine, and you like a mild or medium taste, I can't recommend this tobacco enough.

On the more practical side. In typical McClelland style, the tobacco was a bit moist, but the standard McC ketchup smell was largely (though not completely) absent. It packed and lit beautifully. There was no bite, and a lovely room note.

Yeah, this is a great tobacco. 8/10

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)

What can I say, this is a damn fine tobacco. Sweet, consistent, great taste, no bite and passes the wife's smell o meter. I did note however a slight sourness at the bottom of a small bowl. Upped the size, and presto!

Tallman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tallman (35)

Though this blend is, as one reviewer states, a little pricey for everyday smoking...it is one that I intend to always have on hand. Sweet, pure tobacco taste...I couldn't make it bite and it was a breeze to pack and light, and burn, burn, burn. As the estimable Pipestud says...a bellringer!

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Wow. What a wonderful smoke. Easy to light, stays lit very well and the smoke is rich and full. Very mild, if you're looking for a jolt, not here friend, but the smoke is so good you could cut it and eat it. Think veal vs heavy beef - veal is much lighter than heavy aged beef but it's pretty tasty. My favorite of all the Grand Orientals and of any Oriental in my supply. I suppose I will be shopping for a good supply of this stuff - it's the top of my list.

Recommended because of the quality and exoticism, but I must not like too much oriental in my blends. I like the sweet & sour taste and the mellowness, but I get bored with it and have never finished my tin. This has kept me from trying the other blends in the series. I'll give it another chance some day.

pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I AM HOPING the most experienced of you can help me understand what I am liking and why. A comparative list follows this review of my tastes.

MY REVIEW GRAND ORIENTAL CLASSIC SAMSUN

This smoke is a humble, yet exotic journey of a smoke. It is 2nd on my favorites list below.

There are no distractions in this experience such as bite, difficulty lighting, or sogginess. It smokes long, cool, and smooth. Just when you think it is going to bring up a nasty edge, it instead says: "Now here is where I was grown. Isn't it a wonderful fresh after the rain rich soil?" Then just when you think this terrain is going to get boring and slushy, it says, "Look over there at that beautiful patch of purple ground cover Keep looking because there is more of that in different shades and textures. Look at those sticks also."

I taste the tiniest bit of vinegar and the mildest bit of tomato paste and salt! I happen to love ketchup! Whatever this is, it is in the best of taste, and subliminal.

This treasure is worth every pricey dollar. As such, I don't think most of us can justify it as more than a 'special event reward' of sorts. If it were on special it would be an all day pleasure for me.

A WORD of caution though: some may find that it contains an allergen. I wouldn't be surprised if small amounts of ragweed are in there. I got a flush and started sneezing a bit. It passed, but comes back at times.

______ OK:

Is there a common denominator(s) to this list? If I knew, then I could explore the class in more detail!

Here are my cased and not so cased comparators (ranked):

--Solani Blend 656

--Balkan Sasieni or Balkan Supreme [in that order: they are not the same no matter what some people have said]

--Full Virginia Flake

--Odyssey (Pease)

--Galway Treasures of Ireland

--Mixture 79

--Black Velvet

On a scale of 10 being the bset, and 1 the least, only Black Velvet plunges beneath a 5. This is a shame becaise I still have 15 ounces of the stuff.

ANY HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED!

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (100)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A short review:

Sublime. Non plus ultra.

The tin description is right on target.

Perhaps a wee bit pricey, but you do get what you pay for.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

This is a very good and unique blend. There is a bit of earthiness and a little Virginia sweetness that combine to provide a tasty, interesting experience. It never gets overly complex, and the flavors won't knock your socks off, but it's a reliably tasty, interesting treat. Good herbal oriental flavors come through, and sometimes just a hint of floral character.

Like most orientals, this one gives me a tangy burn at the back of my throat and in my sinuses not unlike perique does, but not nearly as strongly as some oriental mixtures, either because there is less in the blend or this Samsun is much milder and smoother than others.

It's relatively dry (what I would call perfect moisture) out of the tin, the ribbons pack easily and perfectly, the smoke was copious and it stayed relatively cool. No relights necessary, and it smokes all the way down to a lightweight ash. Definitely something you should have in the drawer if you like oriental tobaccos.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is incredible! Highly addictive. I flew through my tin in no time. ORIENTAL to the max. Nutty, piquant, light, and smooth. Could not get it to bite no matter how aggressive I puffed. Extremly light yet complex in the nose. I love it. Smokes as light and smooth as some of the silky burleys yet has all of the best qualities of the finest orientals. Can't wait to try the others in the line. My only complaint is the tins 50gram size accompanied by the fast rate of consumption, thus making it a very expensive everyday smoke.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A fantastic smoke. Mild, but lots of flavour (nutty indeed, as the tin description says). I like it most in a big corn cob. Just great!

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

The word I can better think of for describing this blend is: Neutral. For the good and for the bad. There´s nothing to criticize about it, but nothing to praise either. As I said, this quality can be good or not so good, depending on personal preferences and different moments. In other words, for me it´s great to smoke it early in the morning, when the tasting buds are flowering and need something delicate and elegant, or it can be good as well to "clean" your taste, just in the sense Francis Poulenc used to say that Mozart was to clean your ears after Wagner; but on the other side it´s flatness can make it become very boring.

What happens to me is that every time I smoke it I say: Wow, how nice is this!, but I almost never feel like smoking it again. I have to force myself, to say it somehow. Weird, isn´t it?

It tends to become a little bitter towards the end, as most orientals do.

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)

Creamy and nutlike with classic oriental flavor. Great morning smoke. Good burning characteristics and no bite.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (71)

This is the finest offering I have tried (haven't had the Drama or Smyrna) in this series. It is the greatest of an awesome series, where only one got below 4 stars. This is like the top of Everest, if I could I would give it Ten Stars. The blend burns great, doesn't burn out and it takes a lot of puffing to overheat it. I do not detect the cigar note as I somewhat do in Black Sea Sokhoum, just an opulent richness. This and the rest would be totaly ruined by latakia. Sweet, pungent, great for mellow times or, for me, all day. Smoking this for the first time was like the first time I experienced Rattray blends. Destined to be a classic.

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This is another fine blend from McClelland's Grand Orientals range. It has a flavor note, I find in some good burley blends. Some may call it a cigar note, however after trying all my favorite burley blends, I find it is similar. However in Classic Samsun that flavor note is clear as a bell chime.

The burning quality of this blend has been excellent. It burns dry to a fine ash. Smokes cool, when it is sipped as a fine virginia type blend.

A fine blend, that I pray is not of finite supply.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend is a bit more mild the the others I have tried. I have to agree that there is a small cigar note to this, but it is not the first that came to mind. What I was blown away from was how smooth and refined the taste was. There is a slight sweetness at the match, but then as the bowl progresses a more earthy note takes the fore front. This blend is not a powerhouse like some of the blends I enjoy, but is more a nice mellow morning smoke. I have to agree with others I have talked with, that this blend is the antithesis to the powerful Latakia blends that try and mask the taste of the other tobaccos. I think that Latakia would ruin this blend. Another thing that this blend needs is a gentle smooth draw, it does not take a lot of care to keep going and it seems that the slower you draw, the more nuances come out. Is this blend cased? I am not sure, if so it is very mild and a somewhat good compliment, another reviewer thinks chocolate, I am not sure if he is correct, but it seems as good a match to the blend as anything, it is so faint that I am not a skilled enough reviewer to refute the claim. I think if it is chocolate it is a richer chocolate possibly dark chocolate, and that may be what the sweetness is from. This blend is awsome and a must try for everyone.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Pipe smoking friends, this is wonderful. It just has to smoked to be believed. There is a slight cigar note, but the main thrusts are subdued Virginias and exotic, dark spice and earthy truffles. There is a pleasant acrid, slightly sour note noticeable at bowl's end.

Samsun is not Yenidje and it would have been hard to note the differences without this series (I'll bet most blending houses nowadays need this series to compare what fine varietals are all about, given that most blenders have recently only had blended Orientals to work with). Both varietals are wunder-leaf on their own.

This kind of mixture makes one forget about Latakia, and makes me think that blenders use too much Latakia to compensate for low-quality Orientals and/or inferior flue-cured tobaccos.

There is some sort of chocolate top note, but whether this is from the leaf or accentuation by the blender, I'm not sure. This top note does not translate into the flavor or burning aroma.

The burning qualities and ash are superior. This is very cool, dry smoking and lush. I will try the rest of the series, now that I have smoked YS, YH and CS.

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

For me, this one is a bit like Black Sea Sokhoum in that there's a cigary note to it. Makes some sense that Classic Samsun is most similar considering that both regions border on the eastern half of the Black Sea. I would say that Classic Samsun is significantly less sweet and a touch more sour. I've been smoking it exclusively in a Vuillard Virgin Briar. It has consistantly given tasty, smooth and cool smokes