Reflecting some of the traditional values for which Scandinavia is internationally renowned, Borkum Riff Scandinavian Mixture is a quality mix of bright Virginia and rich, cool-smoking Burley tobacco. It has an exquisite, refined taste with a fresh, clean and attractive aroma.

BrandBorkum Riff
Taste
2.6
irishjedi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishjedi (3)

Upon opening I got a "chocolate/nutty" smell. Smoked well, the room note is nice. Not too overpowering. Just the right amount of moisture, ribbon cut. Very nice for an OTC. Not an overall fan of Borkum Riff, but I would buy this blend again.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)

Despite the bad reputation that Borkum Riff blends have, I decided to buy a pouch of Scandinavian Mixture, and the truth is that I'm very happy with this tobacco.

Burley leaf is more abundant than the Virginia, so it looks and tastes. This blend has a very fragrant, nutty-chocolate taste, which in my opinion, is very delicate and well balanced. I don't think that this tobacco is very cased or flavored, as it feels very natural. The room not is very pleasant.

Ultimately, this tobacco feels very natural, but not rough; it's also delicate and somewhat aromatic, but not mannered.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

surprisingly, this Borkum Riff offering is very good, this is a delicious danish style blend with quality tobacco and a well balanced casing of vanilla and floral note, mild, nutty, semi-sweet, cool on the tongue and with elegant room note,

if you do enjoy danish aromatic, try this blend, it is a quality product.

Spencer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spencer (5)

Popped in my local tobacconists and thought I'd give this a go. Pouch aroma: A sweet vanilla biscuit.Light and dark ribbon cut tobacco moist to the touch. Once lit a pleasant smoke with a cakey, nutty like taste. I like this tobacco and it's quite inoffensive to others in the room as the smoke is delicate and aromatic.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (48)

I hesitated for a while before deciding to try this one. The last BR I tried was Bourbon Whiskey, back in 2012 or 13. The casing had given me a big headache while smoking it. So I really wasn't sure about this one. But, considering it was a new offering, curiosity won over my suspicions. And, you know what, it's not bad at all. Much better than the classic offerings, that is. The pouch description says 40% Black CA and 60% VAs. My tastebuds tell me there is also some BU in there, but I'm not sure about its %; but it's definitively there. Surprisingly, the tobacco is slightly moist, but not sticky at all. The pouch aroma is very delicate, dominated by chocolate and some vailla, I think. It's, actually, elegant and pleasant. The cut and proportions remind me of Amphora Black Cavendish, a drugstore blend I used to love and buy on a regular basis. There is also the aroma of BR's Black CA, very recognizable. Packing is easy and so is lighting up. Taste wise, there is the Black CA and the chocolate and vanilla. Tobacco taste is not very discernable, but it's there. The VAs and BUs are also there as there is a slight nuttiness to the smoke. It burns very well, bites only if I puff too hard - which I have a tendency to do as the nicotine content is mild to medium, but closer to the mild spectrum. It burns dry all the way down. To remediate to the low nicotine content, I have added about 20% of Peter Stokkebye Bulseye Flake. Oevrall, I have been pleasantly surprised by Scandinavian Mixture. It's a decent drugstore blend, much much better than the Bourbon Whiskey, Black Cavendish and Original Mixture. It will not be part of my regular rotation but, if I'm travelling and see some on a shelf, I will grab a pouch or two for sure.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob; Morel Senior; Stanwell; Savinelli

Age When Smoked: Fresh, I guess.

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (61)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

My local shop always has pouches of Borkum Riff on display, so I thought I'd try this Scandinavian Mixture despite the poor reputation of Borkum Riff products.

Unfortunately my experience wasn't good. Nicely packed, with an attractive aroma, those are the only good things that can be said about this tobacco. Burns hot right from the start, and has an obvious chemical sweetener added. I stopped smoking it about a third way through my first bowl because I could feel that any further smoking would induce tongue bite. By then my mouth was awash with sweet saliva generated by whatever chemical had been added.

I threw the pouch away.

This is a poor quality product that is nowhere near as good as the Captain Black range of pipe tobaccos.

Honzz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Honzz (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco much more dry than usual nutty scent of burley only on pouch not on smoke.need many relights.i think bad reputation borkum riff had deserve it. If in your country cant find but drug store tobacco so i think the cap. black is more accepted quality tobacco then the whole line of borkum riff.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have not tried many of the new offerings of Borkum Riff, a brand you can now find in my country. Scandinavian is one of the new offerings of this Swedish house that now manufactures its blends in Denmark.

Scandinavian is a good tobacco, and compared to many of its siblings, it is perhaps one of the best. It is a very Danish mixture: nutty, with delicate hints of dark chocolate and toasted pastry. However, it is not artificially sweetened or, in any case, they have switched from their formerly enervating casing methods to more temperate forms of topping.

Basically a Virginia-Burley mixture (though the Burleys, in my opinion, are the predominant ingredient), Scandinavian is mild to medium in strength, easy to load, easy to light, easy to smoke, and very tasty. You can actually taste the Burley nuttiness, along with the slightly acidic Virginias, because the flavor does not really interfere with the leaf. The room note is very nice.

Not exactly a cool smoke, Scandinavian, however, does not bite. There's a certain similarity with Mac Baren's Mixture Modern, but believe me, I much prefer Scandinavian to MM. It's less sweet, it has a better defined tobacco structure and, I insist, tongue bite is not a problem. If anything, Scandinavian is quite similar, in taste and strength, to Davidoff's Danish Mixture.

I do believe the company's decision to take their blending business to Denmark has greatly improved its blends. Scandinavian is a very nice tobacco, highly recommended for beginners, and not an altogether undesirable change of pace for the established smoker.

Yes, there are many other good tobaccos out there. But when your range of options is minimal, and this one is available, do have a try. Its an altogether different experience from the older Borkum Riff blends.