A natural tobacco, strong but soft to smoke with a neutral light aroma, Borkum Riff Original is a specially selected and processed Virginia and Burley tobacco flavoured with the lightest touch of vanilla. It is carefully prepared and offers unique smoking pleasure.

BrandBorkum Riff
1.8
rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just like Captain Black Royal but a little easier to smoke. Just another chocolate/vanilla/fruit blend. Drier than most and a little less expensive. Stays lit very well but will get the pipe hot if chugged on hard. I'll be buying it again, just to keep around for when I want something different. It's pretty ho-hum but not unpleasant.

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)

I really like this blend. The smell of burly was evident when I opened the pouch. I didn't taste any vanilla but what I liked was the flavor of the burly which is well complemented by the sweetness of the Virginia. My only gripe with this blend is that it burns quite fast. I never had enough time to fully enjoy it. Smoke it slow and dry it a little before packing it and you will be surprised.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I bought this one as a follow up to BR's fabulous Bourbon Whiskey. I tried not to get my hopes up in spite of how much I enjoyed my previous smoke. Turns out I needn't have worried.

The packet aroma is one of very mild vanilla, no surprise there. The packing is easy and I never had any problems with the light. The taste continues as the aroma, very mild vanilla, sometimes it can be hard to pick up, but not obnoxiously so, packing it tightly usually rectifies this. There are occasional hints of cigarettes and something slightly metallic, but it never really bothered me. It does smoke a bit quick but rarely bites.

On the whole, a nice if rather mild tobacco. It's not a patch on the bourbon whiskey or a lot of other tobaccos, but it doesn't pretend to be. The mild flavour and the quick smoke are the only real downsides but I think there is a place for it in my rotation. Often I have had a ten to fifteen minute slot where I want to fit in a smoke but most tobaccos I have take a lot longer. This fills that hole perfectly, pop it in a small bowled pipe, maybe pack a little less and it provides a nice mild quick smoke to keep me going.

Pipe Used: Finlay's Laureate Knobby

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

You don't have to read too many of the reviews here to see this blend is somewhat vilified. Most reviewers were not fans at all. The truth is, the fact that this blend can be found in almost any gas station and grocery store in my area means it must have some redeeming factors and popularity.

I purchased this blend because I received a coupon from the manufacturer allowing me to purchase a pouch for only one dollar. Here in Vermont tobacco taxes are somewhere in the 90% area so a pouch of this blend was marked 13.99 in the store. Not going to pay that for a pouch, but who would turn down a pouch of pipe tobacco for only one dollar?

Overall this blend was not terrible by any means. It certainly was not great either. It was quite blase to me. Very subtle flavors, boring if you will.

On opening the pouch I first noticed the tobacco was very dry. There is no way to know how long this pouch was sitting on the shelves, but I do know that recently Borkum Riff redesigned their packaging (and they look great by the way) so I know this pouch was not too old.

The pouch aroma was very pleasant, and upon light the initial tastes were good. Very vanilla and fig like. This tobacco burned very well and although it was not exciting I did not have too much trouble with tongue bite.

Every once in a while a strange pine like flavor would pop up. It was not totally unenjoyable, in fact at times it was quite nice.

Certainly would not buy it at its normal price but glad I got to give this one a run.

Pipe Used: butz choquin cadre noir

Age When Smoked: Purchased in 2014

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (30)

Well looking at the reviews of this its been pretty much panned, now im not going to do the same. It is a nice tobacco dont get me wrong the aromas and taste are nice, nice vannila slightly chocolatey tang to it, but do not try and rush this one if you do it wont take prisoners and it will knack your tongue, but smoke it slow and it will reward you. Not a bad tobacco but not amazing, would be happy to buy it again as a change of pace or if it was gifted to me but i wouldnt make it my exclusive smoke. Also towards the end of the bowl and i do mean the last 3-4 draws on my pipe it does get a bit tarry and chemically.

Update may 2014. Tried this mix again due to the new and different packaging. Opening up the cut is thinner and the tobacco holds its moisture better. The flavours are delicious nutty and a slight over tone of chocolate with a deliciously moreish sweetness. Burning is very much impoved with a more uniform burn rate and burns to fine grey ash. The chemical tasting towards the end of the bowl has vanished. The recipe to me has been tweak and for the better. The only niggle is it could be a touch stronger in flavour and strength but due to the mildness it makes a great all day smoke. I know this has been panned on here but to me it is an excellent flavourful tobacco which i do enjoy.

Update friday may 16th 2014. Hello guys been doing a little experiment with this one and ive found it pays dividends. Firstly out of the pack it is perfect moisture just to pack and light but its the packing of this one that makes all the difference. Treat it is you would if it was the last bowls worth of favourite tobacco, pack it right and with care. I have found packing this one that little bit tighter makes a very good difference the flavours seem more pronounced and the resulting smoke is very cool flavoursome and satisfying and it doesnt burn down as quick. All in once you have it packed right and with slow gentle sips it is a very good rewarding smoke that i would happily buy again.

ruraldean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruraldean (3)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

It's interesting to see just how subjective reviews may be, ranging from "fireproof" to "quick-burning", "tasteless and weak" to "too strong to smoke pure".

I haven't reviewed here before but felt moved to defend the blend on the basis that I'd avoided it for years, even joked about it, based purely on negative reviews here. In fact I recently braved the blend and find it to be a great all day smoke with a unique taste. It burns well, but not supernaturally fast, packs well and for me is a one-light smoke. it seems to be readily available and, as has been pointed out, is extremely popular, which crappy blends tend not to be. One friend smokes nothing else and I get that. My daughter remarked on the lovely chocolate smell although she said it started to smell ashy when nearing the end of the bowl - fairly astute for a 25 year old non-smoker. In all I'd recommend that anyone who's put of by negative reviews try it.

As an aside I paid 4 euros 70 cents for 50 grammes in Spain, so if you're on holiday or live there you have virtually nothing to lose. Recommended.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

A pleasant surprise ... nothing like what I expected.

The pouch note, which I thought would be thin and bland, is creamy and attractive. Yet it's not an aroma bomb. The enhancements are natural smelling with no trace of synthetic or chemical odour. Fortunately the 'fruity notes' mentioned on the package are not of the berry type. Rather the top note suggests to me the scent of soft ripe pears.

Armed against the previous warnings of Original's quick burn, I employed the Frank Method, with a zero-resistence fill followed by a fairly tight plug of tobacco at the top. I must say: the burn was absolutely perfect. Better than just about any tobacco I've smoked. If you're in search of a blend that smokes without a fuss, look no further.

The flavour is satisfactory but not top grade. A nice depth and body develops which reminds me a bit of Semois tobacco, though not quite as full.

Though 'burley' isn't mentioned on the package, I sense the presence of air-cured leaf. The blend has a somewhat full body, and there's a very slight harshness to the smoke when blown through the nose. The 'retrohale' is still enjoyable, but not as creamy and mellow as one would experience with a pure Virginia.

Original is a simple smoke with just a tad of complexity: every once in a while a spicy gingerbread flavour emerges which is quite interesting. But this is probably not a rewarding choice for the connoisseur. However I find it to be a nice, companionable smoke.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob (MM Country Gentleman)

Purchased From: Online vendor

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Optimum (No.31), Peter Stokkebye - Sweet Vanilla (No.6).

Smokey Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokey Steve (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a sample pack of Borkum Riff as it seems to be one of the more readily availible tobaccos in the uk. The first thing I noticed was that it was very dry, meaning it was very easily lit. Infact one breif lick of a match was all that was needed for the whole bowl. I have to say there was no immediately noticable flavour, but as I sipped away very subtle notes of vanilla came through. I smoked the bowl very slowly and had next to no tongue bite but suspect if smoked any quicker it would have been very unforgiving. All in all it was not an unpleasant smoke, but is certainly not a game changer for me. There was a plesant aftertaste and the bowl was very dry at the end, no goop left at all - to be expected from such a dry mix.

Pipe Used: falcon straight

Age When Smoked: day after delivered

Purchased From: www.smoke-king.co.uk

Todd H. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Todd H. (2)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a good pipe tobacco but it burns the tongue no matter how slow you smoke it. I enjoy the flavor, but the tongue burn is a big problem.

Dry as a bone in the pouch, it doesn't improve very much when moistened. Not much flavor either way, though the Virginia is slightly noticeable when moist. The vanilla taste is light. Essentially, it's boring, and burns hot even when sipped. If you must smoke it, hydrate it first or you'll just waste your time, and possibly suffer tongue bite. With all the good blends on the market, there's just no reason to spend your money here.

MaskedMerganser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MaskedMerganser (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Well, well, well ...

First time on this board, and I have to say I'm gobsmacked at the negative comments of my favourite brand. Sad to say, there is probably not a stockist within 50 miles of my location, it's the ONLY brand I would smoke if it was readily available !!!

I like aromatic tobaccos, as I accept that secondhand smoke is not appreciated by everyone and one may as well be kind to one's audience!!! Borkum Riff Original, in my opinion, is the most favoured aroma in my 30 years of pipe smoking as long as you use a 'clean' pipe ...

Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Borkum Riff Original . I wasn't to sure what my thoughts would be on this one as the market is swamped with Vanilla flavoured Blends ! The unlit mixture is a little one the dry side , so any airing time is completely redundant ! The Aroma from it is a very subtle one , only giving a slight Vanilla hint . Lighting this one is superb , it only requires a gentle touch of the flame and once it's lit it doesn't need many re-lights . The burn is fairly even and leaves behind a very pale ash , but the first negative to highlight is although it burns even it also burns fast . On to the flavour now , again (like the smell) the Vanilla is really light , in fact if I didn't know I would be mistaken to think it was non-existent ! However , the Tobacco flavours are at a good balance . Neither one steals the show , it is more shared , so both can be appreciated . Vitamin N now , fairly mild so would suit someone who is smoking more for taste rather than N . Sadly , another negative is this one bites me so I have to sip it slowly . The final point is the Room Note , not particularly heavy , not particularly any Vanilla to it , only a Virginia/Burley one !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This was one of the first tobaccos I used in a pipe when in college, and I liked it very much. Since I have moved on in my preferences in pipe tobaccos, I had not tried it for quite awhile, so I purchased a pouch recently at the local drugstore, and came home with anticipation of reconnecting with an old friend. Well, the tobacco was drugstore stale, and was a great disappointment. It did not seem to be the old quality I had enjoyed so much....burnt hot, and not much taste. Maybe I had moved on!

Pipe Used: Corncob, Peterson

Age When Smoked: 64

Purchased From: Local drugstore

Similar Blends: Sail aromatic, but Sail is much better, Stokkebye's Highland Whiskey, but Highland is MUCH better!.

Dimi7ris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dimi7ris (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant

i dont know what to write about this tobacco... it has nice flavor, but it dont stop biting in tonge ... it is nothing special

Oom Paul 73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oom Paul 73 (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought the blend on the advise of my father-in-law who seemed to enjoy Borkum Riff very much. It was a dry tobacco with a very nice aroma, So I was pleased at the beginning of my smoke unfortunately, I seemed to have my issues from there. The taste was a hit and miss with flavoring and the aroma faded once I lite my pipe but once the flavoring and aroma was present it was pleasent. I would not say I disliked this blend but it's not at the top of my list but I am willing to try it again in the future.

Ndfmcfc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ndfmcfc (5)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

So I got this blend in a starter pack, and due to bad ratings, I decided not to open it first. Instead, I went with some very tasty aromatics that were very pleasant. After a couple of months of trying some different tobaccos, I decided to open up my BR original. I went into this with an open mind even though I had read some poor reviews. Alas, my open mind was closed quickly. Opening aroma was not bad, but tobacco seemed very dry. Char light was easy, and it kept alight well. However, the bite hit pretty quickly, and I never really recovered. This was my first smoke that I had to keep short, and I only managed half a bowl until I gave up. At this very moment I have replaced it with a wonderfully smooth molte dulce from Suttcliff, and once again I am happy smoking my pipe. I don't even think I will keep my BR original for emergencies even. Sorry BR!!!

Revolted Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Revolted (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first began pipe smoking this was my first tobacco. Back then it seemed nice. But recently I went to buy another pouch of Borkum Riff because I was out of tobacco, didn't have much money on me and I was curious about it,to see if the pleasant memory I had was real. It wasn't. The tobacco seemed perfectly fine, for a low end one, but when I lighted it it was terrible. I recall there were tears coming to my eyes. The synthetic taste was so overpowering I did three or four puffs, took the tobacco of the bowl, cleaned it very well, and put the pouch of BR right in the first garbage can. Will never bought this tobacco again, unless I hear it have changed. If you're a new pipe smoker and don't want to spend much money on your first tobacco, and want a mild but pleasant smoking experience, buy Amphora Full Aroma instead, because this is a genocide for your taste buds.

Philosopher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philosopher (27)

This is a perfectly pleasant tobacco. Nice vanilla aroma and taste, no real tendency to bite. Maybe not up there with the greatest, but nothing much wrong with it in my opinion.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

It's not often I write a review of a tobacco I doubt I'll purchase again, but it's not so much a review as a note to my future self should I be tempted again...

Based on a prior experience, years ago, with one of Borkum Riff's cherry blends (it's always a bad sign when the tobacco reeks through the sealed pouch, and a worse one when it's so moist it needs more to be wrung-out than dried-out) I haven't bothered with their offerings since. Oh, temptation! I added a pouch to an order. Upon lighting up, the first few puffs were a revelation! Tobacco! The taste was somehow reminiscent of cedar pencil shavings, in a good way. Then the additives kicked in, and took over the whole experience. I found little tobacco satisfaction, mediocre flavouring, and next to no nicotine kick. And as the reviewer Craig noted, the bottom of the bowl proffered a very unpleasant chemical experience.

If this is your thing, enjoy. I think that, for me, there are too many aromatics of much higher quality, in the same price range, to bother.

J.Wellington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.Wellington (5)

Hello folks! This particular Borkum Riff is probably of the most neutral tobaccos I have tried, with a slight vanilla flavoring, that, at least to me, is noticeable enough! It is better than SKANDINAVIK Vanilla, but slightly reminds me of it, and its strength is mostly Mild. The only reason why I put 'Mild to Medium' is because it somewhat affected my throat (more cough etc), and because it overheats easily! I mean, not only had I tried the first 3-4 draws, when my tongue was bit, and the pipe was almost heated(and although I lack pipe experience, this seldom happens to me at the very first draws of my pipe 'sessions')! It might be that my tobacconist hadn't preserved it appropriately, but I don't think that's the case, because he keeps all tobaccos in a humidor, and most of the pouches I have bought, are fine! I recommend it to beginners like myself, because it is highly aromatic, pleasant, and the others around you might as well love its odor and not complaint about your smoke!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (163)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Overwhelming Very Strong

As other Borkuns, this is from origin of Sweden, but now is made in Denmark. Is a mixture of Virginia-Burley. very dry,burns hot and much faster that desired. I dont detected aromatic flavour or taste. I tastes and smell as bad tobacco! for comparison,is related to "Half and Half" type but much less aromatic e and much stronger,much lower quality. If fact, a very low quality tobacco, terrible! Too strong fo regular smoking, So strong that is impossible to smoke it pure! may be good stuff for compose housewold mixtures. Reported here as Bite, yes, it is slighly Bite, but it is expected a caractheristic of the Burley.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I dislike rate a blend with just one star but in this case I can't do otherwise, I can overlook the boring lack of body and depth: this is not the worst blend I've smoked so I could give two stars except it is almost fireproof, that's too much!

kislyu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kislyu (2)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A friend of mine smokes this one every day, so I get a pouch. Never ever again!

bertalanffy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bertalanffy (3)

In the pouch, it smelled very fruity and rich. Smoking it almost made me throw up -- it tastes worse than can possibly be described. Repeating the experience ever again would be pure masochism.

If you want to know what it tastes like, but don't want to waste money on it, crush some cigarettes in an ashtray and mix with asphalt to make your own Borkum Riff Original.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)

Given the number of bad reviews this tobacco has received I was keen to try it for myself and I have to admit it is not as bad as I thought it would be. It did not bite like a rabid ferret. It is not a vile demon weed, but it's not exciting either. There are no highs or lows, no hidden highlights or subtle surprises awaiting midway through the bowl, no symphony of complex flavours dancing around each other.

The pouch aroma is lovely - it could make a wonderful pot pourri - and the wife tells me the room note is pleasant. In Falcon pipes and corn cobs it smoked reasonably dry and I didn't encounter any bite. So, to my tastes, it's okay. But there's a whole world of wonderful tobaccos out there that are far more than just okay.

If it was the only tobacco I had left, it might tide me over for a day or so until I could get something better. But it does not soothe the soul. It may suit others, but it's a bit too dull and boring for me.

Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I'm an OTC burley smoker. A friend gave me a sealed pouch of this stuff. On opening the aroma was OK. The moisture seemed a bit lacking but not to dry. I filled and lighted a medium size Stanwell that smokes most anything well. I have a pretty heavily seasoned mouth, 50+ years with the pipe, but this blend not only bit me,it made my lips numb. Guess there was some sort of flavor to it but nothing pleasant.There is a little nicotine present. Maybe when the last tub of Prince Albert is gone from the last shelf in the last drugstore I could manage to smoke this but it would be a dark day indeed. It's no good and glad I didn't pay for it.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (111)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

The Borkum Riff people really could sell water to dolphins! They've done it again (on porpoise, no doubt): made a tobacco that is purely and simply rubbish, yet managed to create a market for it. How DO they do this???

"Strong but soft to smoke with a neutral light aroma"? Everything in this sentence is untrue. BR Original is awful: hot, tasteless, characterless and a waste of money. Smoking this worthless dreck is a complete non-experience.

I have yet to come across a BR tobacco that is worth a damn. This one is beyond terrible.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I only did this to myself once, and it's not an experience I care to repeat.

ItarPeyo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItarPeyo (19)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is how mold and sugar would taste when smoked. On top of the taste being disgusting it's very hard to keep it lit.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Considering I have to pay nearly twice what I normally pay for PA I really expected better. I tried BR many years ago and didn't like it. Tried it again recently and I still don't like it. Some things really don't change. With tobacco that can sometimes be a good thing. Not this time.

smokeybandit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokeybandit (12)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was sold to me at a tobacco shop as something that everyone loves. What a bunch of bull. I was looking for an aromatic that still had a solid tobacco flavor and this is what they came up with?? This stuff is terrible. There is no flavor, no good tobacco taste, in fact, there is no taste at all. I do not recommend this tobacco to anyone. It basically is like smoking air; hot air that bites.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I remember the blend that bore simply the name, Borkum Riff, before Swedish Match tried to conquer North America and changed many of the blending recipes. Back then (some 20 years or so ago), this was not an extraordinary tobacco, but solid and palatable, with a good, clean burn and nice room note.

Ten years later, I tried it again, thankfully from the pouch of a fellow pipe smoker who had bought it and not from anything I had put my own money into. The blend had been changed to something acrid, cigarette-ish, and re-blended to what I guess the people at Swedish Match (note the initials...) thought would be better suited to American taste buds.

It certainly is not suited to mine. I find it to taste flat, lack any niceness of any form (wish there were an option for the room note like "unpleasant"), and the burning qualities are hit-and-miss; I had to do a lot of heavy puffing just to keep it lit though it was not too moist.

Nothing here for me; I guess I'll stick to the manufacturer's southern neighbours.

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I tried this mix because it is easy to find, it will never be in my pipe again. For one is overpriced for what I find at the grocery store at 7.99$ a 1.5oz pouch. I rather by Carter Hall or Velvet at 4.49$ a 1.5oz pouch.

I had to power puff just to feel like I was smoking something, which in turn burnt the heck out of my mouth. Give me sawdust it would taste more like tobacco then this. I seldom dislike a tobacco so much to say things negative about but yuck, I rather smoke a weasel for my health. My Personal notes give this a .01 my lowest rating of any tobacco I have ever tried.

Moçambicano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moçambicano (13)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I usually avoid to make negative comments on anything. If it is good, I praise it; if it is bad, I ignore it. But since this attitude defeats the purpose of writing here in this appraisal forum, I will act differently.

Borkum Riff is one of the most omnipresent pipe tobaccos in European drugstores. In spite of showing off an old sail ship in its packages, and although it is named after an dutch island and lighthouse, it is neither an old concoction nor is it made in the Netherlands; it's rather a modern, swedish product.

I bought it thinking that being manufactured in Scandinavia would assure a high quality level ? at the very least because these nordic people have a huge percentage of pipe smokers in their populations, much more so than the british, for instance. I was wrong. Provenance of the product is not everything.

Borkum Riff original smells flowery in the pouch, but has an intense mould-like aroma when smoked ? even if there is no sign of mould itself in the tobacco. The casing simply tastes so. I puffed some twenty bowls of it, just to make a fair assessment ? untill I gave up. Not only the taste was bad: the aftertaste was even worse, as if I had paved my tongue with tar. Truly unpleasant. I won't buy it or try it again.

eviljesus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eviljesus (2)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Upon revieving this tobacco and my first ever pipe from a friend for christmas i was eager to try this out. Smelt good out of the pouch, but thats where the good news stops.

First bowl was ok, but every other bowl and i mean EVERY other bowl has been of foul taste. Far too 'flowery' for my liking and bites hard. This was with both pouches i had obtained (6 months apart from each other). The tobacco quality was ok in the first puch, but six months on and I found stems and other parts of the tobacco plant in the pouch.

Not worth the time or money and almost made me give up. Definitely better (and easier) tobaccos to start off with and smoke.

UPDATE: Now that my skills have developed, I have revisited this one and found to be ok. Doesn't burn as I remembered and stays lit ok now. Still will never buy it again though.

BigBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigBear (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I like many other reviewers on the forum tried this at the beginning of my pipe endeavors. that was well over 5 years ago and recently tried a bit from a friend. Still ghastly, tongue bite, bitter bottom half... I wont go on. If drug store brand is all you have the choosing of go Captain or Edward.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)

Hay~Rookie, you need to try it. Cool Smoke! Easy light.

Django Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Django (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

For my first review, I would say that this tobacco is very sweet but very pleasant for a danish tobacco smoker. I feel a little taste of hazelnut and vanilla. It is a very soft and mild smoking. I recommend it as a good danish tobacco !