Originally known in Gaelic as 'usquebaugh', 'water of life', 'aqua vitae' or whisky, as it becomes known, was first distilled in Fife by Friar John Cor during the 15th Century. Drawing from its rich heritage, Borkum Riff Highland Malt Whisky is a robust, full-bodied but mellow, naturally subtle blend of Virginia and Burley tobacco flavoured with a fine mature malt from the Scottish Highlands.

BrandBorkum Riff

1.5
Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

havent changed my mind a bit,,ill give it one last shot but it wont be today i assure,,i dnt know where tht malt whisky went but its aint ind=side the tin,,burly is dominant virginia sweetness cn be felt but the heavy casing spoil the whole combination,,burn well thu and gives a decent burn to the old tongue comparing to other borkum blends,,wont be on my list

Wallenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wallenberg (10)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Please read the other reviews.

This tobacco is sharp, synthetic and completely fails its nomination.

This is why people start pipe smoking and end it in shame and disappointment.

It burns very hot, continues to burn tongues; tastes acidic and whiskey-like at most. The room note is tolerable.

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: I do not want to blame anyone

Similar Blends: Many other Borkum Riff blends.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Islay whiskies and Latakia are a match made in heaven - as long as the former are in the glass and the latter in the pipe. Apart from Cognac in Pembroke and rum in some mixtures, alcohol and tobacco do not really combine well. If any one does want to taste tobacco flavoured with whisky, I would suggest Davidoff`s Scottish Mixture and not this Borkum Riff attempt.

Calamiti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calamiti (34)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

The unforgettable horrors of the Borkum Riff Whiskey... What a rubbish I used to smoke in my youth...

I feel sorry for putting the lowest mark to an old friend of my youth, with which I shared so many beautiful moments in life (oblivious at the time of the opportunities of better choices in tobaccos and in many other things in life). But I feel I have to do this.

I won't be unjust. The Whiskey wasn't even the worst of the Borkums ilk (the worst one was the vile weed innocently called "The Classic Pure"). To be honest, Whiskey was the least offensive of all Borkums. Sometimes, on several special and still memorable occasions, I even managed to extract some pleasant flavour notes from the Hyland Whiskey - by the dear price of painfully scalding the young sinner's tongue.

Nevertheless, I put one star, and if I could, I'd put a ZERO - just to discourage the new generation of pipe smokers from starting​ their journey to the wonderful World of Pipedom from the wrong starting point. I know, they won't listen. Because each generation must fully experience its own share of wrong choices and scalded mouths.

The only thing I really wish them, is not to start any lower than this. Because there's still another bottom below this bottom. It's called "CLAN". I won't tell more.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

Not really much different than many other Whiskey flavored Cavendish blends except maybe this one tried to go elegant with some steamed up Virginia that would't bite even if it had teeth. I smoked two bowls from a pouch of this at a pipe show a couple of years ago while looking at pipes in, believe it or not, an Irishman's hotel room. Light and no bite.

Borkum Riff - Malt Whisky.

Note: This review is from a pouch purchased in Portugal named Mixture Recipe Malt Whisky. The pouch lists the ingredients as 50% Black Cavendish, 50% Virginia, and Whisky.

The pouch smells clearly of whisky, a little stronger than the smoke tastes. The flavour's good, there's just enough whisky to liven it up, but it doesn't take over: medium at the most. The tobacco's are nice on the palate: the taste is very soft with some vanilla from the Black Cavendish. I don't really get much citrus/grass from the Virginia, I'm guessing any natural sharpness is being made a touch unclear by the added sharpness from the whisky. The smoke has a nice velvety texture to it, and it's quite thick.

The nicotine's about the same weight as the added flavour: medium at the most, and the room-note's nice, but it does create a lot of smoke.

I like this more than I thought I would. It's nothing particularly special or inimitable, but it's a pleasant and relaxing smoke.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Fred Tranter Poker

Purchased From: Portugal

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (123)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This tastes of no whisky that I have ever experienced. It's hot, unsubtly cased and artificial-tasting. Imagine inhaling steam slightly laced with the kind of chemicals they use to flavour cheap sweets with. I can't think of anything good to say for it. Definitely not recommended.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

Not outstanding. Did not feel any malt on it. Aroma in pouch reminds a bit of milk chocolate for me. Burns okay. Not too much taste here either.