Selected quality, bright aromatic Virginia and rich, cool-smoking burley tobaccos are blended to give an exquisite taste and aroma, enhanced by the finest Kentucky bourbon whiskey traditionally matured for over eight years to develop its full complex flavour. Serious yet dynamic, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey has a unique, captivating taste and aroma. Infused with eight-year old Kentucky Bourbon, it combines the natural flavour of the tobacco with a distinctive aroma that is both traditional and discreetly masculine.

Notes: Used to be Virginia and Burley. Now is Virginia and Black Cavendish. The new pouch description relates: The Bourbon Whiskey recipe consists of 35% Black Cavendish from Africa, Europe and the Philippines mixed with 65% Virginia from Brazil and Africa. And as a final treat genuine Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey is added. Flavour: Kentucky Bourbon Notes

BrandBorkum Riff

1.6
jhan42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhan42 (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I did not like this at first, in fact I hated it and found myself wishing I had not thrown away thirty Canadian dollars on this crap. That's right thirty and change for this, and pretty much any "cheap" tobacco, in the true north and not at all free.

However, after cleaning my pipe with rum and letting it dry out (the pipe and the tobacco) for a couple of weeks this tobacco has done a 180 and is actually quite good. I have also tried it in a barely used pipe and it has worked really well in that too. THe taste is decent, it creates a lot of smoke which I like but it burns too fast although it does burn fairly clean with little tongue bite. I would likely buy it again.

Cheers

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (10)

I smoked this in the 1970's. Something changed and it turned to garbage in my opinion. So I dropped it. Back in the 1970's, it was both mine and my grandfather's favorite smoke. Today i bought a new pouch of Bourbon Whiskey mixture. Package is not the black and white but the new brown and beige color. It says Scandinavian Tobacco Group. This stuff changed back and it tastes like it did in the 1970's. It is smooth, great taste - not too overpowering, not too mild. Just a bit of the whiskey and a great flavor. Not too sweet, not sticky and goopy. I'm buying it up before another MBA genius thinks it's a good idea to ruin the taste in order to increase profits. hehehe. Buy some - it is very pleasant.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I'd never really considered Borkum Riff before, given the plethora of hardly complementary reviews on here for their offerings. However, a recent chat with a friend and discovering that Stephen King apparently smokes this stuff led me to try Bourbon Whiskey, just on the off chance that it might surprise me.

The gold and brown design of the packet, upon receipt, impressed me some, I'm not sure why, it's not something I normally notice much less comment on, but this looked contentedly well designed. The packet aroma upon opening is very nice, something mellow, possibly whiskey but doesn't obviously stand out as such. There's also something a little sweet in there, possibly vanilla. The tobacco itself is a fine ribbon strewn with blends of lighter and darker brown flecked with some odd hints of gold. Packing is easy and the lighting is much the same, this works easily on one light. Initial smokes were nice enough, much like the packet aroma, it's one of mild whiskey with hints of vanilla. As I have progressed down to the bottom of the packet, it has grown on me and now thoroughly enjoy it. This one does bite occasionally if pushed a little hard, but stepping off the throttle and smoking a little slower usually helps. One thing I've noticed with this is the way the smoke from bowl and mouth has a pleasant way of hanging around a little before drifting up and away as if it wants to enjoy being smoked a little longer.

I have to say, I have been bowled over by how much I've enjoyed this, it may not be the best tobacco out there but it's a hugely enjoyable smoke in it's own right. Sometimes it's hard not to sit back while smoking it and start thinking of Frannie Goldsmith's father in the Stand smoking some rendition of Borkum Riff in his garden as his daughter tells him she's pregnant. This is nowhere near that dramatic but that "Glow of Discovery" buzz phrase printed on the packet seems to fit admirably.

Pipe Used: Finlay's Laureate Knobby

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (29)

Ahh, Borkum Riff.

I'm old enough to actually remember when this tobacco was introduced to the US market and, oh boy, was it the whip! It quickly developed a very loyal following and I know men who have been smoking this tobcco since 1968 and will not budge from it.

It won't kill you to smoke this blend and it does have a very distinctive room note (you can immediately tell if a pipe smoker is puffing Borkum Riff) which is not unpleasant. There is absolutely no flavour of eight year-old Kentucky Bourbon whiskey at all; you're going to have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey to get that. This tobacco simply has no discernable taste. As other reviewers have also cautioned, you need to smoke this blend slowly to avoid t/b. Don't smoke this blend in your best pipes either.

Over the years, as tobacco blenders became more skillful and varied, more sophisticated blends began to proliferate in the marketplace. This reduced Borkum Riff to a common "drugstore" status in the pipe tobacco world but, as we all know, smokers of drugstore blends can be militantly loyal.

"Borkum Riff"? I don't know how that translates in English, if at all. "Bore'em Stiff" maybe? Smoke half a pouch and you'll probably throw the rest away.

DS86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DS86 (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Looks like I still have a bit to learn. The pouch I purchased says 65% Virginia, and 35% black Cavendish. Here, instead of black cavendish, it says Burley. I have smoked this tobacco in briars, about 3 times so far...

The more I smoke this blend, the more I like it. I like the amount of Virginia(65%), because it doesn't remind me of a lot of the black Cavendish heavy blends. In other words, it's not like other aromatics I've smoked. Virginias tend to bite me, but this one has enough black Cavendish(35%) to balance that out for me. Then again, not too much BC, IMHO. The tobacco proportions are just right, with a whiskey flavor that I would say compliments the Virginia, as opposed to being an in your face OTC casing, where the intensity is reminiscent of Captain Black Cherry, or some of the Super Value tobaccos. Tobacco Reviews.com made me avoid this blend for a while, but it is surprising to me the bad rep it gets. Me and this tobacco just get along.

Final thoughts: Without the amount of black Cavendish in this blend, I doubt Borkum Riff could have pulled this one off. The black Cavendish is there in the background as a mentor. A deceptively simple blend. I can't rate it just yet, but unless this tobacco disappears, I'm buying more. If you were disappointed by Highland Whiskey, try this blend instead. If you like Virginias, try it. If you want simplicity, try this blend.

For what it's worth: I like flakes, Latakia blends, Virginias, and am REALLY picky with aromatics. Aros seem to take more getting used to for me. My main smokes are Latakia blends. I've been smoking a pipe for about 3 years or so, and feel that I have a good enough grasp on taste to know what I like, whereas when I first started smoking, I thought Super Value Cherry Cavendish was the best blend in existence, just because I had one bowl, that included one puff of cherry turnover flavor. At that point in time, I think I had smoked no more than ten or 15 blends. I've lost count of all the blends I've tried now, but it's got to be at least 60. Maybe more. I'm only including this last bit to give an idea of what else I like, in hopes of helping you decide whether or not you should try this blend.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Orient, Erik Nording Jack

Age When Smoked: 6mos

Purchased From: Some tobacco shop in Grass Valley CA

Sciz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sciz (2)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

NEW update: as my pipe smoking skill gets better...i found a way to reduce the unforgiving tongue bite from this blend. we only need to puff it VERY LIGHTLY, just like taking a sip from a drink. but what really ticks me off is the CONSTANT RELIGHTING!! if u tried to make the amber stays lit, you'll turn your pipe into a furnace and the gurgling will start and everything will be nothing but unpleasantness.

i only keep puffing this blend just to get more the feel on pipe smoking, but after i finish the pack, i'm sure that i will not buy this blend ever again.

=================================================================

OLD review: i started off in this wonderful hobby with a wrong tobacco! the reason i bought it bcoz i didn't read the reviews in here before and i was attracted to its smell in the package! but the smoke was nothing like a the unburned one!! my impressions about this particular blend: 1. IT BITES!! 2. almost no taste (mostly due to no.1) 3. constant relighting 4. not a good choice for a newbie (like me) 5. it's not from a good tobacco

u might wanna argue on the last point for a newbie to put a bold statement like that. i know what a good tobacco bcoz i was a hardcore Djarum cigarettes smoker. when i torn 2 Djarum cigs and loaded it into my pipe, the smoking experience was like heaven and earth compared to this blend.

i know that taste is just a matter of preference, but it's definitely not for me...and i'd recommend new pipe smoker to steer off from it.

for those who likes it, i'm happy for you. happy puffing!

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)

I tried this a long time ago and I remembered that it wasn't anything special, but I got suckered into buying another pouch just recently because of the whiskey flavoring. Once again I wasn't impressed. I can't taste the whiskey and it tends to bite the tongue. This coupled with the high price makes me recommend that you pass on this tobacco.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (20)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The pack tells me this is made from 35% Black Cavendish and 65% Virginian tobacco,and I really can't understand the negative comments. Nor can I understand those who say there is no whiskey taste, because there is. There was some bite at first but the smoke soon became mellow though full of taste and I enjoyed smoking this tobacco. So much so that I will be ordering another pouch with my next tobacco order. I don't think there's much of a room note which is why I've rated the after smell as Very Pleasant. It smoked really well with a cup of coffee and left me with a pleasing taste in my mouth.Good stuff.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a taste of this concoction about a week ago; it was a complete desaster.

I felt I was being overly harsh, having had bad experiences with Swedish Match's other blends under the same brand, so I gave it another try.

Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that I had not been overly harsh. This blend fills easily enough, lights readily, and from that point on, you're on your own. The taste is of... I don't know; to me, it tastes lightly of tar and something sweetish that would probably do better in a cigarette blend; the aroma is not really something I normally associate with pipe tobacco, and even if generous, I cannot say that smoking BRBW gave me any pleasure.

I miss any hint of Bourbon in either taste or aroma, the stuff is quite expensive (especially for a brand which is notoriously positioned on the cheaper end of the price scale where I am), and for the same price, I can get really good tobacco which does not need any flavouring to taste of something. 'nuff said before I go overboard.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I've smoked this in early 90's, before I found out that the tobacco world in fact is a big one.

It's a mild boring aromatic tobacco. I'll smoke it again maybe in my next life just before discovering the real tobacco world!

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this to be surprising. I was suprised it cost me $5. I was suprised I paid it. I was suprized it contained so many stems. I was suprised it burned my whole mouth and made me physicaly ill. But hey, I had to try it for myself just to see how bad it actually was... What's that sound? Thats me slamming my head in a door so as to remind me not to do this again. A total failure as a smoking mixture. 0 of 10

Horvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Horvat (5)

I dont know why this blend has so much negative reviews. This is a nice tobacco, with a mild whiskey aroma. It doesn't bite, if smoked slowly. I like Borkum riff, so 3 stars from me.

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (14)

Not a real bourbon flavour. Try smoking as cool as possible if you can manage to smoke it. Heats up quickly but leaves a good taste on the tongue if you can smoke cooler.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (123)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Horrible. Period. Burns like hell, tastes like your sister's knickers and smells like a wet and elderly dog. The pope should anathematise it. If there were any justice, the blenders at Borkum Riff would be doing penance in chains.

JimInks (2038)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

The whisky flavor is not as deep as the Bourbon Whiskey version, and weakens some after the half way point, exposing the dullness of the grassy Virginia and toasted, nutty burley. Has little nicotine. Burns fast, hot, and scorches the tongue even when puffed slowly. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Hardly has much of an after taste outside of a little sweetness.

hdfarley3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hdfarley3 (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

yikes! This was also my first tobacco when I started. Picked it up at the local CVS along with a Dr Grabow pipe. What a mistake. Still on the organ transplant waiting list for a tongue.

Padraig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Padraig (10)
Strong Very Mild Medium Very Strong

Well, we all make mistakes in life, right? This was mine. I didn't have a tounge for a few days after I smoked it, and I have treated the pipe with a full cleaning. I hope the briar gods forgive me. If you like Ripple for your daily wine, African Robusto coffees, and old Wonder Bread, this might be for you. Your taster's gone anyway, so what the hell.

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that it isn't really tobacco, just dried dung from Scandanavian musk oxen.

Get the picture? I REALLY don't like this one.

bluebossa17 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluebossa17 (2)

Moderate tongue bite. Smokes fast and hot. Expected a little more Room Note but was mildly pleasant. Nice puffy smoke though. A little more expensive than I expected for this quality. Good packaging.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (67)
Mild Medium Medium Strong

Pouch note is not pleasant. Smells like cheap tobacco with a cheap Whiskey casing. Smokes very hot and has a terrible taste followed by a putrid room note. There are really no redeeming qualities for this tobacco.

I haven't found a Borkum Riff that I enjoy but this is probably the worst one. Avoid.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I've been trying various OTC's and so A Borkum Riff was on my list. It was a pouch of the Whiskey that I unfortunately ended up with. The pouch note was a little boozy, but not much. The first few puff give a light whiskey taste and then it was downhill from there, way downhill. The stuff burned hot despite various efforts to slow way down and it was all I could do to keep it from biting. The aftertaste was ashy and nasty. Even the room note, for an aromatic, was just not that good. There are better, much better OTC's. In fact it makes other OTC's positively shine. After a two bowls I ended up disposing with the package in the round file. I do not recommend this at all, unless you want to stop smoking.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Scandinavian Tobacco Group (ST Group) has made an outstanding effort to stick, as much as possible, to the original recipes of the tobaccos it has been acquiring over the last 3-4 years or so. it is curently manufacturing tobaccos such as Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Erinmore, Amphora and Sail, among many others. Their version of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, I must admit, worried me seriously at first, for it seemed it was a return at the original formula that I did not like. The pouch aroma was overwhelming with the bourbon smell and the composition was different than the one advertised on this page: 35% of Black CA and 65% of VAs. No trace of the BUs mentionned in the composition of the blend on this page. Ah, I get it; swedish match is not the manufacturer anymore...;-) Anyway. Surprisingly, STG managed to come up with a blend that is fairly balanced, smooth and does taste big time of bourbon whiskey. Despite the low level of nicotine, it is still an enjoyable mixture that burns smoothly and does not bite. I think I enjoy it most in a Corn Cob.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (25)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Is good smoke pleasant taste great aromatic love the blend. It doesn't bite like other otc tobaccos. One of my favorites to smoke while out in the woods.

Purchased From: Tobacco depot

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am reviewing the BR Whiskey -- which is what was printed on the pouch, btw, NOT Bourbon Whiskey. Got it for a buck on a manufacturer's coupon, totally dried out and crunchy (the only pipe tobacco that filthy Winn Dixie had). Rehydrated with the old wet-paper-towel-over-a-bowl trick, which brought back the moisture. I'm not convinced that rehydration of really, really dry tobacco restores its pre-dried out character, but this stuff is rough.

Choose any of the negative reviews and it will be correct. Harsh, lacking in presence, character, taste -- and really cheap tobacco. The contempt this company has for its customers is appalling, worse than the tobacco. Didn't taste any whiskey, either. This will bite you like a rattler unless you puff easy. The room note is better than the taste.

But, I almost never throw tobacco away. It goes into the Everything Goes jar, so one day I will have my dollar's worth of pleasure many times over. On the other hand, the other leaf in the jar may not want to meld with this stuff. We will see.

One star, because that's the least I can give it.

bobbysmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobbysmokes (15)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

Did not like this at all. Tobacco has a very unpleasant aftertaste that is hard to figure out what causes it. I will not smoke again.

Pipe Used: Danger Devil Anse

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Pipes and CIgars

MiddleEarth Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MiddleEarth Piper (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Classic tobacco, very popular back in the day. Some people hate it but I found it's very good, pleasant aroma and no tongue bite. Room note is nothing special but ok. I recommend this tobacco to all people who want mild tobacco with whiskey flavor.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (50)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Every few years I go out and purchase a pouch of Borkum and every few years its the same result. Disappointment. I'm not at all prejudiced to the OTC's. I'll take a cruise with the Captain every once in a while when I feel like smoking dessert, and Prince Albert is my regular daytime smoke..in fact, I just picked up 2 tubs of it today. That said, for the following reasons I just cannot get along with this brand.

Appearance in the pouch is a mix of various colored ribbons and to my sniffer smells quite good. I smell more vanilla then whiskey, but good none the less. Moisture content is just right. Not bone dry nor soaking wet. OK..this looks promising.

Packing goes well using a simple 3 step and I put flame to leaf..and here's where it all falls apart.

This is VERY bitey and bland. None of the promised whiskey flavor appears nor can I detect the vanilla the pouch smelled of. I stick with it and get no improvement. Extreme bite and bland all the way to perhaps a slightly ashy, but otherwise dry finish, lacking the usual soggy clump of dottle such as the one the Captain leaves behind. No appreciable vitamin N to me and the room note seemed ok.

I tried this in numerous pipes and even a few cobs. I put a medico filter in the cob to attempt to tone down that bite to no avail. I just cant seem to make this taste any good..UNLESS..

You MUST and I mean MUST smoke this blend very slowly, as in so slow the pipe barely stays lit. Slow shallow draws can manage to coax some of that promised flavor out and produce a passable at best smoke. If you do not, the hellfire that will reign down on your tongue will make you rue the day you decided to pick up a pipe. This stiff will broil every last tastebud off that everlovin tongue of yours.. For me this blend takes way too much work for the paltry reward given. There are so many better tobaccos out there its just not worth the time/effort.

So I reluctantly give it 2 stars. Why 2? Well, a few reasons. This is probably one of the finest practice tobaccos you could load your pipe with. It will teach you proper packing, puffing cadence and tamping technique. It requires flawless technique. If you fail at any of the above this tobacco will punish your missteps swift and hard..a lesson you wont soon forget..

Good luck..

Pipe Used: Too many..various briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Other bitey Borkum Riff's...

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Ah the blend I bought with my first pipe, a Grabow Savoy as I recall. I really didn't enjoy this blend as a newbie I remember it burning my tongue and BRW tasting hot and sour. If I knew then what I know now. Hindsight is always 20/20 now isn't it? I recently bought two pouches of this from my local CVS for cheap when they dropped tobacco products from their inventory.

BRW is blended from less expensive foreign grown tobacco but does not hinder the redeeming qualities of this tobacco. It packs great and lights reasonably well. You have to smoke this one low and slow to enjoy the subtleties of this tobacco. I can taste the Virginia's and the Whiskey gives this blend a nice overtone of sweetness with a leathery back note. This tobacco will burn completely leaving a fine gray ash. If you smoke this one fast it is certain to set you tongue ablaze. If you sip it you can reap a decent reward from a drugstore blend staple that still sells for a reasonable price even at full retail.

This blend does not rate high enough to make my rotation, but certainly can't be dismissed as an unsmokeable offering.

Pipe Used: Briars, meerschaums or cobs for aro's

Purchased From: CVS Drugstores

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, you have to let it breed for a little and will become quite tasty and pleasant... but there are many other blends with the same qualifications, some cheaper some more expensive. Anyway, it's not a disappointment so you should try at least once. Burn evenly and fair, no tong bite, no strange pipe heating... it's good enough and that's all.

Pipe Used: always Peterson

Age When Smoked: 1-2 yrs

Purchased From: online

Similar Blends: so many.....

greggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greggles (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Bought this and Captain Black regular as my very first pipe tobaccos. The Black is inoffensive, this on the other hand is.

First off, it smells wonderful, thats why I bought it, I figured if it smells this wonderful, it has to taste wonderful too! Well I've learned quickly that's not always going to be the case when it comes to pipe tobacco (Hell even cigars for that matter!)

Its flavor, is sour, like whiskey, but that's all I get when I smoke it. Its not pleasant. I know I bought cheap tobacco and I am still learning the ropes of pipe smoking. However I'll take another pack of the Captain Black over this stuff again. I'd recommend that brand over this one to one learning pipe smoking.

Purchased From: Puff Smoke, Saline, Mi, USA, (734) 316-2691

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Ok, 1st I open the package I can smell a thin bourbon scent but when I smell the tobaccos, it smells just like a ordinary cigarrete ! This blend is totally bad, give me a tongue bite for many days, and when I try to smoke it again, my lips is very hurt and my tongue gets bleeding. Is easy to pack and 1st draw is still good but nothings specials. It taste just like an ordinary cigarrete. I got this blend for my friend, he give me a package and ask me to try it. But the good news is this bacchy is very good when I mix it with my local Indonesian tobaccos. Give a new color and taste because of it's bourbon scent. Perhaps I needs lot of alcohol drinks to enjoy this bacchy by it own.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

[Note: This is the same Borkum Riff tobacco as that listed as "Whiskey."]

In the pouch, this long, fine-cut ribbon blend has the typically sweet cavendish aroma along with an unobtrusively natural bourbon scent.

This is a blend of golden virginia and burley cavendishes along with black (burley?) cavendish that is rather sweet without becoming excessively syrupy. The bourbon whiskey topping is credible and admirably plays the role of unifying agent.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Absolutely horrid. Please read the two reviews below.

There is truth in numbers!

stonedlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stonedlion (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I recently bought a pouch of BRW mostly out of idle curiosity.

PROS Readily available wherever cheap tobaccos are sold. Finely cut ribbons of tobacco that packs easily It light's readily and burns to a fine ash The room note is tolerable * It is inexpensive

CONS It tastes like crap It BITES, hard * Burns hot

Borkum Riff Whiskey is most definitely a triumph of marketing over reality. Seriously, this stuff is everywhere.

Last week, while waiting for my wife to emerge from a local discount shop, I ducked into a nearby tobacconist in search of pipe cleaners. The BRW caught my eye and while the thought crossed my mind to whip out my smart phone and pull up the reviews here, I didn't want to look like too much of a nerd. It was cheap, so I thought, what the heck, I bought it.

I smoked a generous bowl in the confines of my truck while continuing to wait for my wife. I became readily apparent that BRW was not all that it was cracked up to be.

Now, I pulled out my smart phone and pulled up the reviews for BRW, reading while I smoked. Oh boy! I must say, some of you are quite creative and brutal.

I won't go so far as to describe BRW as "piss soaked cardboard", but as someone who NEVER throws away tobacco, even stuff I don't particularly like, I am seriously thinking about it.

By the time my wife joined me in the truck I was two thirds of the way through the bowl. I had a headache and my mouth was burning.

Do yourself a favor, buy something else.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, here we go again with what has been a long standing over-the-counter classic tobacco. Yep: this is a remake of the old German blended Borkum Riff, now produced in Denmark. I don't know if this is now being made by Orlik or MacBaren, or some other Danish firm, but I agree with my fellow reviewers in that there has been a noticeable improvement in many of the BR offerings.

I believe the new blenders are more cautious in their flavoring technique (the tobacco now has more of a topping rather than a casing ambiance), and the choice and quality of leaf seem to be better than previously. Most BRs are composed of Burley and Virginia, and this one has a strong Burley under taste that makes it quite palatable.

So, though we are still talking of a highly commercial blend, designed to be smoked without further ado, it has now a stronger or clearer tobacco flavor and its closer to a quality blend than to an artificial-chemical concoction.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

As with any Borkum Riff tobacco, it doesn't take one long to realize the recipe behind this albatross. Save yourself some money by just cutting up some cardboard and soak it in piss overnight. There you have it...in bulk.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (69)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Reading some of the reviews here and am floored by all the one star ratings. When I first started pipe smoking twenty some odd years ago this was one of the first blends I tried. I'm not a fan of Borkum Riff, but I've been playing around with this one. I usually smoke Smoker's Pride Whiskey. Sutliff also makes a wonderful Whiskey Cavendish, but it's a little on the sweet side. Think of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears if you choose BRW. In this case BRW is the Pappa Bear of the three brands: strong and straightforward with less sweetness. If you dry out on parchment paper 6-8 hours, the flavors are more well rounded. It doesn't burn as hot and offers a dryer smoke. This makes a good mixer. I have a special blend called Bad River Blend with BRW as the base, Toasted Cavendish and Dutch Masters President cigars for a smoky, creamy note. Turned out to be a very pleasant smoke. If you like strong, straightforward blends with less sweetness this might become a staple in your stockpile. Some people complain BRW is too bitey. Actually, what you're tasting is the burn of the alcohol playing off the sugars in the virginias. The burley is smooth throughout minus the sourness.The black Cavendish balances it all out. The key is to air this out over night to acieve the best flavor. Aging in mason jars highly reccomended. So for it's versatility, decent flavor, price, room note and sticking to honest ingredients I'll give it three stars.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Similar Blends: Sutliff Whiskey Cavendish.

Bighead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bighead (1)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought a 50g pouch as my local tobbacconist only stocks erinmore mixture and borkum riff blends and i wanted to find a tobacco that was local available rather than trekking into the city or waiting on mail order. I chose the bourbon as I like bourbon and other sweet whiskies. I liked the cool mouth feel but the blend lacks flavor. If you're primarily a cigarette smoker I think you would like this blend. There is very little bourbon flavor.

Pipe Used: new cob

Age When Smoked: purchased same day

Purchased From: Mokos Westcity mall

Pipelover12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipelover12 (3)
Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this couples of days after trying the Borkum Riff Original When opening the package, you can get that strong smell of whiskey. I love the flavour, and after only 3 puffs, I get that nicotine stroke which made my head spins. In overall, it was an okay smoke, not to good, but not too bad However, when mixed with Mac Baren Aromatic, with a bit of Wo Larson Belle Epoque (i have no idea what this means), the flavour is blend in to absolute perfection. Everything you want in a pipe tobacco is there, the flavour, the smell, the strenght,... I've been having a hard time finding this pack again I recommend this to smokers who have the patience to get other blends ti mix it with, and wait for the flavours to marinate

Pipe Used: Lubinsky 662

oldcodger (71)

I have always preferred the aroma of someone else smoking this tobacco to the experience of smoking it myself. Although there are dissenters, most find the room note of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey pleasant. As of the date of this review it is listed on this board both as "whiskey" and "bourbon whiskey" with about the same number of reviewers under each rubric. Since its introduction in the mid 1960's (if memory serves me correctly it was not until 1968 that it was imported to the US) this has been a good selling and widely available blend. Nevertheless, reviewers on this board have been largely negative, with more "not recommended" ratings than any other.

The current pouch identifies the contents as 35% black cavendish (burley?) and 65% Virginia. Smoked carelessly, it will bite like a constipated badger. Smoked carefully, it is still bite prone for smokers with sensitive tongues. Personally, with a relaxed puffing cadence, and remembering to hold the pipe in my hand and not clench it in my teeth, I can smoke it without biting.

The pouch aroma is somewhat mild for an aromatic. So too is the taste, a taste which I find pleasant, although not something to write home about. I doubt seriously that I could identify the taste as bourbon in a blind test.

I normally have about five tins or pouches open at one time. On the fairly infrequent times that I have Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey as one of these, I smoke it as often as the other blends open. When I do not like a tobacco, I cut it with something else. I have yet to find one that I cannot finish even if my cutting may create something far different from the original. (In over five decades, I have smoked well over 500 different tobaccos.) But I have never been tempted to cut Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Bottom line: for me, this is a two star, "somewhat recommended" blend, but a two star rating given with a caveat for pipe smokers easily susceptible to tongue bite.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (10)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First of all it triggers strong chemical reactions in the mouth. Not a good one.

One day i started to feel really pleasant taste, while having cool burn with small sips. However, just after that it kicked my mouth and that sweet taste never came back again from this blend.

The bad thing is, I still have more than half a kilogram of this. Probably I am not going to open the boxes(!) for years. Then we'll see.

Pipe Used: Sahin Briar and Missouri Corn Cobs

Purchased From: Istanbul

Setherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Setherd (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a plain drugstore variety. I got a coupon in the mail to try this for a dollar so i did. It wasn't that bad but there was really nothing good about it. Lots of tongue bite. The smell was somewhat pleasant and the flavor was bland. I had the hardest time keeping it lit however. I smoked 3 bowls, I packed one my regular way, one very lightly and for the last I really jammed the tobacco in tight. Surprisingly that last bowl stayed lit the best. Bottom line.... Don't get it.

Pipe Used: MM corn cob

Age When Smoked: straight from the store

Purchased From: CVS drugstore

ignotus93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ignotus93 (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first tobacco. I really hate it. I can't taste the whiskey. I smoked a full pouch, it was a true misery to my tongue.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gotta say I think this blend has gotten a little bit of a bad rap. Other reviews have mentioned tastes like tar and other off flavors. I certainly did not find these flavors, but that's the point. I did not find any flavor at all.

The packaging is so very elegant, the pouch aroma is nice, the room aroma is nice. The cut is just grand, and the moisture content is perfect. The only thing this blend is missing is taste. A little taste and this stuff would not be that bad.

Bourbon is not a very subtle flavor. If something is flavored with bourbon, it should be relatively easy to pick out. I taste absolutely nothing here. Not bourbon, not nothin. This stuff should be title "Borkum Riff Bland Steam" That would be an accurate name.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. This is by no means disgusting, and may be just what you are looking for, but for most of us, it caused us to just keep looking.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Billiard

Age When Smoked: purchased 2011

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)

So, a one star for me says at least that the entire pouch was smoked. There have been a few that didn't get reviewed because I simply could not persevere in the smoke. This one smokes like a VA and I detected no burley flavor (because I'm pretty sure that the burley is the cavendish component.) There are some nice flavors in this one, but it can bite and burn hot. I respect skandanavik for their more discreet use of toppings. The bourbon is mildly detectible in the smoke. Not recommended but finishable.

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

You can only smell the whiskey, just only at opening pouch. Then nothing about whiskey. After that it is just a Virginia-Burley which you can find everywhere. Smoke it slowly, unless you want a tongue bite. I would rate it one and a half star , but i can't.

And also i don't like bourbon, i prefer scotch.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Flavorless, heated smoke. Packs well, burns well, burns quickly but who cares? If it isn't a good smoke then the rest is unimportant. There can be a bite. Even at the drugstore price this stuff simply is not worth it.

FinSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FinSmoker (2)
Overwhelming Strong Full Extra Strong

Bitter and untasty, Smokes like a pyre. Extremely unpleasant with no bourbon taste at all. If mixing some bourbon into this blend wont change or mellow the taste at all Im throwing this shit away

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

For me my oppinion, is only a very regular, common, Virginia-Burley Blend. Somewhat bitter taste and also slight large in Nicotine than desired and tendence to give Tongue Bite, and very dry. Not bad, but not remarkable also very similar to cigarrete tobacco. .

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a pouch of this as a gift and was looking forward to giving it a try up on opening I can not detect any whiskey at all might just be me but I can not smell it at all.Up on smoking it tasted like a pair of old sweaty socks and it bites like a hungry crocodile not for me this one :(

irishjedi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishjedi (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Seems like nothing but pure tongue bite. Definately not a fan, and I probably would not recommend this to highly. .02.

Mike

DennisBrain1921 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DennisBrain1921 (2)

I first smoked this blend in Savinelli Oscar Elite, which is a giant size bowl. When smoked slowly I found the blend quite pleasant with very little to no tongue bite. As for the Bourbon, I could really only pick this up when smelling the pouch. But I will try again. The room note is pleasant enough. This is an ok aromatic blend, though far from spectacular.

JimInks (2038)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

In the 1970s version, the whiskey had a decent flavor, and you could taste some of the tobaccos, particularly the grassy Virginia. The nutty burley was a minor component. The problem was that it burned fast, hot, and would bite even when puffed slowly.

UPDATE: Oct. 2013. It seems the new manufacturer has improved this tobacco quite a bit. I experienced no tongue bite, and a little more bourbon flavor than I did when I used to smoke it. I did notice a chemical taste at times, but not always. Burns at the same rate the older version did, but is much less harsh, and unless you puff it like a cigarette, you won't get tongue bite. Low on nicotine. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and requires few relights. Two stars for the new version. One star for the older one.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

This just might be the absolute worst tobacco I have ever tasted.

I am amazed that this is even on the market, let alone so commonly available in seemingly every drug store and smoke shop in America.

One should have to search hard and wide for a tobacco this bad. One should have to work at it. It should be a challenge of sorts - a quest.

Instead, every year new pipe smokers stumble onto this tobacco and give up the pipe shortly thereafter.

We should start some type of petition to get this tobacco taken off the market.

And we should take up a collection to send some decent tobacco to those fond of this vile mess.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)
Very Mild Extra Strong Medium Strong

horrible taste, really bad bite, sucks. Avoid this one.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Starts great and goes downhill from there. I had fairly high hopes for this; having developed a taste for aromatics over this beautiful warm summer. I was especially hopeful when I read the pouch and saw the surprisingly high Virginia content. When I got about halfway through the bowl though, my tongue was no longer hopeful.

Parcarat Parcor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Parcarat Parcor (2)

I bought a pack and decided to smoke some. Like many have said it has no taste of either bourbon or whiskey but it has some taste to it. The scent it gives of when you smoke it is really good in my opinion. I really can't imagine people complaining about the room note, but know that the taste isn't as pleasant. You can get TB from this smoke but to get around it you simply don't take to heavy drags, not that hard to get around. I need to relight this a few times when I smoke it. Perhaps I'm a bad smoker but it just doesn't keep lit in the pipe. I think it would be a much better smoke if they had more of a tobacco flavor to it, it is somewhat mild for me. The fact that is has no distinct taste probably make it a good morning smoke after breakfast or with a cup of coffee. You don't want to have this as your main stock but it is both affordable and decent enough for you for a quick smoke IMO.

I really can't see people who bash this tobacco as hard as they do, it isn't a top notch tobacco and is a fairly cheap one. You really can't expect too much of such a product! It isn't as terrible as some say but I would not recommend you to smoke it in a designated pipe. It is a casual smoke now and then and should be take for what it is. It leave a nice aftertaste in the mouth that last for a ½ hour or so.

Don't get me wrong when you read this, you really shouldn't go out looking for it but if you come across it give it a try. Just don't expect to much from it.

Kevinalban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevinalban (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

The only tobacco Ive ever really hated. The only pouch Ive ever thrown away. The only tongue bite Ive ever had. Only bought it because it was my grandfathers smoke of choice, and wanted some kind of cosmic connection to a man who passed a few years ago. I guess Im gonna take up fly fishing, because this wasnt what I had in mind.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

I found this blend spicy and aromatic but I could not detect the Bourbon Whiskey. My strongest memory of it is the lingering aftertaste, which reminded me of premium cigars. So, I could recommend this blend to cigar smokers and I might give it a second chance myself - if I ever miss that odd aroma.

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Can't recommend this blend.

got it out of desperation at duty free while rushing to catch a plane and was out of tobacco. smoked 2 pouches (50g each) worth out of a box of 5 pouches and they last three are hideous spectres that lurk in my pipe drawer.

casing is with the pouch when opened but slowly dissapates a reveals a bit of a chemical scent lingering beneath. I tried blending it with a straight viginia to see if it would add substance to it when I returned home but all it did was detract from the virginia I blended.

It is easy to pack with out much notion and stays lit but overall flavour for me is not there. I've had too many better tobaccos to ever want this in the rotation. To be honest I wouldn't give it to a beginner and I get way better room note compliments on stanwell melange or hearth and home marble kake (or any standard vanilla for that matter).

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

[Note: This is the same Borkum Riff tobacco as that listed as "Bourbon Whiskey."]

In the pouch, this fine-cut ribbon blend has the typically sweet cavendish aroma along with an unobtrusively natural bourbon scent.

A classic, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey is a quietly elegant smoke for those who enjoy tobaccos on the sweeter side. This will ghost a briar and seemed best in narrow to medium gauge chambers.

earl_of_cumberland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl_of_cumberland (5)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Bought this when I was out of tobacco... I wish I hadn't. Tasted awfull and I gave up trying to like it and ended up giving it away.

I recommend you to try this first before buying it and se if it is to your taste.

Oh and the Bourbon taste? Naaa no Bourbon just a wierd taste to the tobacco.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (123)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

"A unique, captivating taste and aroma," eh? I've tried – God knows I've tried – to find a Borkum Riff tobacco that isn't horrible. I keep trying out of a sort of sense of justice: I feel that I need to give these people another chance to redeem themselves. But still no joy. Bourbon Whiskey is dreadful: burns hot, wet and erratically, and has a cloying, chemical taste that defies description. It actually made me feel ill. It's strongish in nicotine terms, but it just isn't like smoking tobacco. The casing is very heavy, and if it's Kentucky Bourbon, I'm a boiled monkey.

I can't imagine what mass market sustains the production of terrible stuff like this. Are the Borkum Riff people involved in some international conspiracy to stop people smoking? I can't think of any other reason why a company should produce a range of such utterly awful tobaccos. Then again, people buy 'em. Maybe it's just me.

So: unspeakably bad; bad beyond badness. The only thing to be said for Bourbon Whiskey is that it isn't as comprehensively awful as Cherry Liqueur! If you're trying to give up smoking, you might find it useful as aversion therapy. A thought, actually.

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

Bites like a injured pitbull with rabies! Have not found a way to help this blend at all. Only way I will ever burn this again is in the fireplace and hope it don't offend the neighbors. Minus 4 stars! So dry out of the pouch that it almost floats. Would not feed it to a horse or a wild goat for that matter. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about this blend.

Modulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Modulus (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I'm very new to this hobby, and I don't have a lot to compare this to, but I'll do my best.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Seems to me first of all that the flavoring was caked on pretty thick. It almost seemed like a sort of syrup had been applied to this tobacco. It wasn't overly stick or anything, just had a slightly unnatural quality to it that indicated to me at least that someone had added something to this blend late in the manufacturing process. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at some point this tobacco was on a conveyor belt - under spray nozzles.

My wife puts hides her nose behind her shirt while I smoke this, so I'm going to assume the room note is not very good. In my limited experience, once I begin smoking, it's difficult to get an idea of the room note... Either due to inexperience or because my senses are deadened after taking it into my mouth. The rating system here does not allow you to indicate a tolerable yet unpleasant note. Only it's intensity, not it's actual appeal as a scent. Someone should revise the rating system.

This blend bit my tongue quite a lot... it burned hot for me. I'm a novice however and probably have a tendency to draw all of the tobaccos I try a little too frequently in an effort to keep the bowl lit.

There's got to be better tobacco's out there... Don't bother unless you're really curious or want to try it to just get it out of the way.

beren911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beren911 (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm new to this hobby, so far, I tasted Erinmore Mixture, Captain Black(white), Gulden Dansk(Unknown brand), and the very unpleasant Borkum Riff Whiskey.

I'm a Scotch single malt fan, I know the taste of very good Whiskey and thrust me, this is F= gargage. Normally, I have a really soothing odor that linger in my mouth and on my clothes after a bowl. But with that, i had the impression I just smoked a pack of CAMEL(Real cheap brand of cigarette). If the supplier was not so far away from me, I'd kick his arse. I' m going to trow away the pouch, not without fear that this piece of crap contaminated my new pipe.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is another mild boring aromatic. I bought a 5 pouch pack in duty free, and still have 3 pouches remaining. The kind of tobacco I will have completely forgotten in one year from now. That's why I hurry for this review !!

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A decent smoke for the price. It never seems to burn well, even in my well-seasoned pipes. The taste is a little harsh. I can not taste any notes of bourbon whiskey, but there is another unpleasant taste that I can't put my finger on.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (77)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

*Update: well it smoked OK for a week or two, then seemed to go back to it's old ways. Went flat, stale real quick. Better than it used to be but you can do better.

In the mid to late '70s, I alway had a can of Borkum Riff Bourbon on my study desk and smoked a ton of it. It had a strong casing, not terribly unpleasant but very "definite", it smoked hot and it was hard to find a true tobacco taste. Hey, I didn't know any better and after several years of this being my everyday/all day smoke I moved on. Lots of young guys smoked this "back when".

This new version is definitely NOT the same stuff at all. The smell of the tobacco in the pouch is way toned down. Same cut for sure. The flavor is that of a plain burley with an occasional hint of virginia and the whisper of topping. Smokes like a straight up burley blend, nice tobacco taste. It burns nicely. And this new stuff doesn't bite unless really pushed. This won't put Dunhill out of business but I can see picking a pouch of this to have for.....well, studying (again) or reading. A pleasant suprise! The change in blenders had made a huge difference IMHO.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I think the room note of this blend is one of the best ever. However the taste never fulfilled me no matter how many times I have tried it. I don't like it's fine ribbon cut and my tongue always was raw afterwards, most likely drawing too hard trying for a n boost I never got. I have tried all the BR blends as I used to work for US Tobacco back when they had the US rights to sell it and I had all I wanted free but instead at that time smoked Amphora Brown. This always sold well and many a new smoker cut his teeth on it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, I think their quality control has improved since I last tried this stuff. Borkum Riff is not something I would go out of my way to smoke or even buy large quantities, but not bad for now and then. The flavoring is pretty strong but not overwheelming and the nicotine content is high, so it is probably the good slap we need some mornings.

An ok OTC smoke. I'll smoke it in a pinch.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

One bowl, 5 puffs and the package went into the trash.

Abysmal.

No offense to those who like this one, but its not for me.

Smelled like a pack of cigarettes that had been sunning in the dash of a truck for about 3 years.

Live and learn.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Proof - if proof was needed - that millions can be wrong. In an emergency tea leaves would make a better smoke.

Tom Bruce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bruce (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Like a guy who keeps hitting his head with a hammer because it feels so good when he quits, I find myself going back to Borkum Riff Whiskey from time to time. Why would I do that? I've pondered that question while frying my tongue with BRW and can only come to the conclusion that it was my first tobacco back in the early 1960s and I thorougly liked my new hobby, so maybe I'm trying to recapture that initial enjoyment. I could deal with almost anything this tobacco throws at me, except for the tongue bite. Believe me, after 40+ years of puffing, I know how to control a smoke to make it burn cool. But, no amount of expertise can save my tongue with this stuff. It tastes as good as a lot of tobaccos I've had in my day, and after allowed to dry a bit in the pouch it burns cleanly. However, as I have in the past, I am sure that some day in the future I will see a pouch and buy it. I wonder how old you have to be before you get smart?

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was given to me as a birthday gag gift. One thing I can say for sure is it made me gag.

My tongue got burned to a crisp, it tasted terrible. So bad and unfamiliar that I cannot really compare it to anything. Maybe tea leaves? There's nothing fancy about this blend, but the hot smoke... I mean it was... VERY hot. My tongue is kinda messed up, and I won't be enjoying my meals the rest of the day. This isn't worth buying folks, just stay away. That's my sincere opinion. If you really want a great smoke with some great flavor, AND you want an aromatic, try Dunhill's Royal Yacht, Blue Note, or Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. I know it's wrong to suggest other blends while doing this review, but this blend is so bad that a potential pipester might be put off by this blend forevermore.

Regards,

DJM

Dickson Bainbridge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dickson Bainbridge (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Purchased on a whim. Gave it a run in a large Greek briar churchwarden special that smokes very cool. Tasted like dead wombat. Didn't get the harsh tongue others report and room note was very mild. Will give the rest to someone I dislike.

Pipe Used: Large Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 12 Month

Purchased From: Little foreign bloke under Flinders Street Station

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (45)

One of the ultimate love it or hate it blends on here. Tried this a few years ago and never got round to ordering more. Today I got my hands on some more and it is like saying hello to an old friend.

The cut is little on the thin side (more on that later), and the aromas from the pouch scream bourbon, this has definitely had a more than generous lacing of the good stuff. The aromas of the actual tobacco come through, a typical fresh zestyou virginia tang with a hint of sweetness, which I put down to chocolate.

It's very easy to pack and takes the flame like a charm and burns well and smokes right to the bottom with hardly a relight needed, the room aroma is captivating, it filled my shed with a mouthwatering aroma of whiskey and tobacco.

Now I will say borkum bourbon, can and will bite of you smoke this like a steam train, but a gentle and slow cadence will reward in buckets with this tobacco. After all we are in this hobby to relax and take our time right?

All in all a brilliant tobacco in my opinion which fills my needs for an aromatic perfectly. Only one thing I'd like to see on this blend, a touch thicker on the cut width, but as it does the trick beautifully.

Pipe Used: Falcon with apple bowl

Purchased From: Mysmokingshop.co.uk

ringo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ringo (15)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a good Cavendish aromatic! In the shag it smells whiskey and chocolate. The room aroma is burbon clearly. The flavor of the tobacco is realistic whiskey with Virginia and the characteristic feel of black Cavendish. The taste of the whiskey is very real but not overwhelming. It is also nice that the cooked part- the last third is very soft and mellow Virginia with burbon, yes this is clearly burbon. It does not byte and I ca not find negatives. Sometimes I also taste chocolate and I think the Cavendish is also Virginia tobacco and always the taste finishes in the mouth with whiskey. I wish the last part of smoke which taste burbon to last longer. If you like aromatics and whiskey, this is a must. I also want to add that I have become addictive to it, very nice nicotine kick, just right!As the tobacco becomes dry the bourbon taste comes more to the surface while the intense metalic taste of whiskey softens. I must say that the whiskey taste was very bright when the tobacco was fresh like throwing in the a glass of a whiskey a little bit of water or when the ice is melted.

Pipe Used: corcobswith filter

Purchased From: local kiosk- news agent

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (54)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am surprised with the low average this received. No bite, no gurgle. Some nicotine. Stays lit well and burns right to the bottom. I liked this from the start, no need to wait for it to grow on me. Pouch aroma is fabulous. Nice thick smoke. I like to retrohale, and this was a little too strong to enjoy doing that. I find that it does burn fast.

Pipe Used: MM cob, MM hardwood, both with filters

Age When Smoked: fresh to 4 weeks

Purchased From: Buttheads Tobacco Emporium

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (93)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aroma in the pouch is really compelling: sweet tobacco with a trace of woodiness most likely from the Bourbon. Moisture is perfect and the cut is a fine ribbon easy to load which burns evenly but, as every Whisky or Whiskey flavoured blend, it tends to smoke hot so you need some care to keep the right pace; despite the heat it doesn’t bite at all, it also has a nicotine level a bit over the usual border for this kind of blend. Taste is woody and sweet, it actually reminds to Whiskey and wife she loves the room note (surprisingly more than I do), all in all a decent blend but... unfortunately starting from the mid bowl it gets sour, this unpleasant flaw is the only real one I can tell but serious enough to ruin the smoke near the bottom.

Pipe Used: briars and cobs

taazen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
taazen (1)

Just wanted to lift this tobacco up. It deserves higher a rating than what it have. Dont know why it gets so low ratings, guess it has something to do with that it was different before. Dont know which year it changed, but now, in 2016, it tasts perfect. Someone told me that finaly it tastes like the first time.(when it came out). I love this blend. My favorite. Im so glad my local store has plenty of this. If you can get it, just buy and try.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: Shop in Norway

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (17)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the worst tobacco I have yet tried. I am going to try to age this to see if it improves but in the meantime I will not smoke another bowl. What's wrong? - it bites, no whiskey flavor, and just a poor taste overall. Not worth the try -- plenty of other aromatics with better quality out there.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: P&C

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (155)
Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

Ugh. This is junk. It's dry, it burns hot, and has no real taste. And I like many drug store OTC blends. But not this one. How it got so popular, I have no idea.

Telling it how it is. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Telling it how it is. (73)

So this is where everybody gathers together and finds their outlet for bashing tobacco. Well, that probably is a healthy thing then and to be honest this blend really lends itself to it.

Right away when opening the pouch you will be greeted by not enough. The whiskey aroma is only very faint and also artificial, the tobaccos play no role at all.

Packing and lighting both are easy but the burning properties are awful. It burns way too fast and way too hot but at least even and readily, there is very little maintenance needed.

The taste is just lousy to say the least. There is a light whiskey flavour popping in and out during the course of a bowl. But it only rarely is noticeable and when it is it just contributes to the overall bad taste. Also your tongue will hurt, hurt, hurt. This is one of the blends that i suggest when a break from smoking seems in order, to ease your chore with physical pain.

Aftertaste is bad also and lasts way too long. Plus i found you cannot get rid of it until it dissipates by its own. Room note is nice.

The entire Borkum Riff label was invented to get a grip on the American market and to suit the American smokers. So in the end the entire brand is just a marketing scheme everybody at first falls for and then never again falls for. I think every single smoker on this planet sooner or later will have dealings with one or the other Borkum Riff mixture. You really have to hand it to them how genius their concept is and how long they already are on the market. And what spread they have, you can get Borkum Riff all over the planet.

So do i recommend this blend? Lol are you joking? Have you not noticed how noone ever recommends this blend? So, no. Stay clear of it by all means necessary, it is not worth risking your health for this blend and be it the very last one on the planet.

Pipe Used: It went trough rotation.

Age When Smoked: They don't print production dates on it.

Sybariten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sybariten (59)
Mild Extra Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is quite a ride. Unpleasant does not fully cover it. The first light offers up a taste of burnt hair, in a crossover with cheap soap and eau de cologne. And that is it. This is one ugly blend! It is foul tasting and I am positive it will burn you, given the time - I only got through half a bowl so I got off easy.

Stay away.

Pipe Used: Jean Claude Bent exclusive

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (51)

I had never smoked this. I heard that it was the series most popular Borkum Riff.The tobacco was a ribbon cut that smelled more like rum to me than bourbon.I liked the smoke taste and the room note was okay. I know why this is their most popular blend now.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: new moist pouch

Purchased From: TobaccoPlus smoke shop

Sound Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sound Dude (6)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I don't know if I can add much to what has been said in all the previous reviews. I first tried this when I was in college, because this is what the local liquor store sold and I didn't know better. It tasted horrible. Tongue burn, and a terrible taste in my mouth I couldn't get rid of for days. I though all pipes tasted like that and I gave up. So this is the tobacco that turned me off pipe smoking. It wasn't until 35 years later that I decided I'd try it again, mostly because my brother enjoys cigars and other fine stuff and showed me there are better tobaccos out there.

Age When Smoked: fresh (I assume)

Purchased From: local liquor store

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)

My first puff of Borkum Riff and when I finish the pouch will be my last... This is a rather boring tobacco and for the price there are a lot better brands cased with whiskey. My personal favorite is Peterson Irish Whiskey. The quality of this tobacco is questionable and the whiskey casing does not do much to flatter it. Save your money and buy something good for what they charge for this mediocre pouch of tobacco.

Pipe Used: Peter Heinreichs 9mm, cob

Purchased From: local store

Winchester38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winchester38 (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked up a pouch of this on a whim one evening, having not heard much about it, but having often seen pouches of it on store shelves.

Pouch note is definitely sweet. I get more vanilla than bourbon whiskey, but it's sweet, no doubt. Lots of color contrast between the Virginias and cavendish. I let a small amount air-dry for about five minutes before smoking.

I packed a bowl, and went to it. Lit nicely, but instantly felt dry. The sweetness from the pouch was mostly gone, and I was getting more dry, ashy taste than anything else. I held on, and finished the bowl, hoping it would come alive, but it stayed dry, and burned hot through the whole endeavour. Had to puff slowly to avoid tongue bite.

I've now got almost a full pouch of this stuff, and don't really have much interest in smoking it. Maybe it'll make a better potpourri than a tobacco?

Don't bother with this one.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (105)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I bought this some time ago in an attempt to go down memory lane, for this this is the first blend I ever got used to in my early 20s when I started smoking, but in the end it turned out it was not what it was all cracked up to be. So what befell of what many used to call "the best pipe tobacco in the world?" One can only wonder. This new mixture has nothing to do with that easy smoke I was so used to in the past. Yes, in the end I grew out of this blend. Not so more as I began to dislike it, but due to my adventurous soul and constant search for other tobaccos that would meet my new needs. Be as it may, this is certainly not the blend I was so used to. The blend did irritate me at some point, and if I did not throw it in the bin in the end is because of the £12.50 they set me back in the shop. In the end I ended up wondering if the person who put this together did it with intent and out of hatred, for only a very bad and nasty person could've come up with this. I really cannot find any word in the English language to describe how distasteful this is. Nor I would recommend it to my worst enemy. Just stay well clear of this blend, for it is not worth half the money you are going to pay for it.

Edit1: My experience tells me that some tobaccos will improve over time after some drying, but this is not the case with this blend. In true honesty, I had never had so bad an experience in my life. It bites, I find the Cavendish in it horrendous, and I've never been able to finish a bowl Yes, it is so bad. This is definitely going in the bin.

Age When Smoked: Probably 1

Purchased From: John Hollingsworth's

Similar Blends: I cannot dare to think.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (28)
Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Horrible! This is hands down THE worst pipe tobacco I have ever smoked. Reminiscent of packing a bowl full of cardboard flavored with some kind of cleaning chemicals. Shame on you Borkum Riff! Shame on you...

Pipe Used: Cob

Similar Blends: Chemicals and Cardboard.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This was the second tobacco I tried, back in 1984. It was like a match on the tongue, but tasted worse.

The horror.... The horror....

Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. Wow! When I open this I certainly can smell the whiskey! The ribbon cut is of nice sizes, mostly about half a C.M long with a super moistness too. The make-up of the blend seems a very fair one: it's quite even in the selection of the different varieties of tobaccos. Once my pipe is filled I can easily attest that this lights up perfectly simply, all is needed is a fairly quick touch with the flame and that is enough to supply you with a steady and consistent burn. The smoke given off I find a little on the warm side, a little to warm for me albeit although it's warm it doesn't tend to bite much. The Vitamin N really suits me: a decent amount, not too much nor little. The smoke texture I would describe as "middle weight": not overly thick yet not too thin either. On to the flavour now: to be fair it isn't as heavy with whiskey as the unlit aroma suggested for me. I get more of a "lighter weight" whiskey addition which allows the sweetness of the Cav' to come through without the flavour being too tainted. The room-note is not particularly amazing or rubbish, to be fair this scores higher in this department as it is not overly heavy so will not really offend to many people in the room! Another good point with this one is although it is an aromatic it doesn't leave a whopping ghost inside, only a very delicate one if smoked too much with nihilistic maintenance! The main reasons for this not scoring higher are the temperature and the subjective one that I prefer stronger added flavour to my aromatics!

Pipe Used: Peterson Sandblast Sherlock Homes Baskerville

Purchased From: Smoke King

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (34)
Overwhelming Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

How can one tobacco give off one of the best aromas and also the worst taste? I imagine this is doused whiskey, then dried out completely. Would you smoke a bottle of Jack Daniels? I feel the need to try this every few years because of the wonderful aroma. My taste buds haven't caught up yet. You need a chaser after smoking this.

Pipe Used: Corn cob, Basket pipe

Purchased From: Ingles

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is possible the worst tobacco that I have ever had the displeasure of smoking. I'm not a tobacco snob, per se (I like a lot of OTCs), but this stuff is truly apalling. It burns hot, tastes horrible, and will burn your tongue like it's made from pepper spray. I usually defer to others and say that it's just not for me, but let me assure you -- you'll want to avoid this like the plague.

larrjlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larrjlion (3)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Nothing but tongue bite so I couldn't taste a thing. Burns hot all the way through. Expensive especially in Massachusetts. After 5 bowls I gave it to a friend to roll it in her ciggaretts.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Purchased From: Rite Aid

Marlowe2nd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marlowe2nd (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Just received a pouch. It's not that bad. It lights ok, and if smoked slowly it stays lit and doesn't bite. Just take your time; treat it as if it were heavy on the Latakia.

Pipe Used: Peterson and Carey.

Age When Smoked: 1 week

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One star rates this far too highly. Zero stars would be too many. It really deserves negative numbers of stars.

It's that rare thing, a tobacco that manages to have no good points at all. The other one-star reviews are more than fair. Avoid.

hatNpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hatNpipe (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I live in a country where pipe tobacco is hard to come by, and this was one of the few varieties available at the local tobacco purveyor.

I decided to try it out, and in my first pipe I was surprised by its bite and the speec of its combustion. The smell, while pleasant in hints, could be quite overwhelming when the smoke was too dense.

For my next pipe I decided to prepare myself better. I loaded the pipe and poured myself a whiskey (all I had was a Bushmill's malt, but it would do). This time around the experience was much more enjoyable. The flavour of the smoke and the liquid blended nicely, and the slightly denser packing that I used made it burn slower. Unfortunately I soon ran out of whiskey, and soon afterwards the bite again made an appearance.

It is not the best of blends, but in the right conditions it can provide a solid half our of enjoyment. I would recommend it to gentlemen who do not much mind the bite, and enjoy a good glass of bourbon (or equivalent) to go with their tobacco.

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

An nasty tong bite could occur, but as my first tobacco, I feel like this is kind of great, it burns really hot. Don't let this tobacco dry a least, it'LL take fire in your pipe and trust me that's not what you want.

CGHurlburt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CGHurlburt (24)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Beware of the bite. Where some tobaccos bite when too wet, this one will numb you instantly if allowed to dry any. Taste: Very spicy. Flavor is very peppery. Like black pepper. I would smoke this more if not for the bite. No tobacco has ever bitten me harder than this stuff after drying out a little. Once it drys out too much, smoking slow makes little difference. It bites. Room note: Tolerable. Not perfume, but not straight burley either. Still better than any cigarette. Final Notes: I like the taste well enough that I'd blend it with other tobaccos if not for the bite. This stuff bites so hard it almost makes it unusable for anything. I heard you can doctor it by adding a quarter ounce of whiskey to the pouch and letting set a week. I may try that sometime with an extra pouch I have handy. Either that or give it to the neighbor that is continually asking if I have any extra smoke to share.

UPDATE 8/04/2012 I added whiskey to the pouch (1/4 ounce) and gave it a couple days to osmosis around. The addition of whiskey definitely mellowed the bite and tamed the overall strength. It did improve it considerably. But not enough for me to consider buying another pouch.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am smoking this now and I've smoked it before. It's pretty good with a glass of bourbon. Seems like alot of people hate it. When you get bored of your soapy latakia come back to this. It's real tobacco (not bad for a supermarket blend) and it smokes just fine and dandy - it's OK really.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Overwhelming Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

I have to say trying this was one of the most unpleasant smoking experiences of my life. My brother gave me an almost full packet having tried it and found it not to his taste. I should have binned it there and then but curioisity lead me to try it, just to see how bad it was.

Upon opening the packet I was greeted with a sickly sweet tarry smell fading to rotting leaves. The substance within (I refuse to acknowledge it as tobacco) was in thin strands and sticky and moist to the touch.

Fooled by its appearence I packed it quite loosely expecting it to burn slowly. Wrong! it burned very fast and very hot, probably due to the petro-chemicals it was drenched in, (diesel oil perhaps?). If I tasted anything in the first few seconds It was tar, my toungue and mouth were so scorched as to be useless. I was too nauseated to finish a whole bowl and knocked it out to refill with my then usual fine cavandish cherry. On firing up my refilled pipe I had to check I had not refilled it with Riff by mistake as the toungue burning tar taste was as strong as before! On investigation I found a soggy black mass of chemicals anealed to the bottom and sides of my pipe bowl. An hour of frantic reaming and cleaning cleared enough muck to alow me to smoke again but the bitter/tar taste lingered for several pipes afterward.

The room note, (stench would be a better word) was acrid and sweet with a chemical burning smell akin to an acid spill in a chemistry lab.

It cuts me to the quick that the manufacturers of this filth have the gall to label it premium pipe tobacco.

The astonishing thing is people still buy it and smoke it, presumeably after they have got thier arms out of their strait-jackets!

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just tried this tobacco, it is pretty good. It does not bite, but it is a little strong. I would recommend this to people who like aromatic and stronger tobacco.

DrCHicks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrCHicks (9)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I found this to be one of the worst ever. I believe I would rather smoke a dirty dish rag. Please, don't waste the little this crap cost on it.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Another crap blend.

Burns way to hot, bites like a Viper, tastes like chemicals, and coated my mouth with Lord knows.

Picked it up at a gas station en route camping, forgot my baccy at home. After we pitched the tent and built a nice fire I grabbed a pipe from the tool-box. I Made it through half a bowl, dumped it and the remained of the pouch on the fire.

I'd rather go without than suffer through this torture.

brainitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brainitch (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

So, I was waiting for an order of decent tobacco, when I decided to try this from the local Wal-Greens. It coated my mouth, tongue and teeth with a thick paste of the chemical-nasty. However, I was Vitamin-N deficient so, I kept at it...(le-sigh) Every part of me screamed! "Dump this pipe load on a steamy dog turd!" On the third re-light, I noticed the bite. There is a tiny window of smoke-ability between tongue-bite puffing pace and cherry-go-out pace. I mean small. Also, the Walgreen'ss where I actually paid money to be orally assaulted charged me like $9.00 US for this 50g bag of Whiskey flavored "joy". Which, incidentally, Only barely the fake whiskey stink is barely tolerable from the pouch when loading the pipe and lends an air of morning after gutter-vomit to the room-note. If you're thinking of trying this the next time you run out of the "good-stuff" ...Don't!

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This is the only whiskey flavored tobacco I have ever tried and it is a disgusting abomination. Be prepared to salt your pipe or if you have the spare cash for a new pipe, bury it at least 10 feet underground so the fumes dont waft out of its grave.

I may be unfair to whiskey tobaccos as this is Borkum after all. Although the flavor is akin to a mix of vomit and petrol it is the only Borkum with any noticeable flavor at all apart from the cherry cavendish, which is the only Borkum I would recommend.

For a similar but far more mild and pleasant experience, it would be far better to spend the money on a bottle of cheapest, nastiest whiskey, give it to a bum, wait for him to vomit and subsequently deeply inhale said bum's breath.

The absolute worst tobacco in the world, even for Borkum. Recommend it to a pipe smoker you despise.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I give this four stars based upon that growing u as a boy about 11 this was favorite blend. It seemed so rich. the aroma was wonderful. Priced at about 69 cents more then a pack of smokes at that time. I have tried it ver recently and found that alothough it may not be up the the connoisuer level we are all up to today. It is still a good smoke. Smoked ever so slow the favor comes out. So enjoy it while we are all able to still buy tobacco. pretty soon it will all be but a memory. REDD

adkboater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adkboater (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have been somking a pipe on and off for 37 years (I started in high school) and have tried a multitude of tobacco brands over the years, but this stuff (I'm thinking of another word...) is the poster child for horrible! I bought a can of this in 1974 for around seven bucks, tried it twice and promptly sealed the can. I threw away the can a few years ago when I was going through old stuff. I should have learned my lesson then, but in my nostalgic middle age, I picked up a pouch of this the other day when I ran out of my usual fave (Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake). I was hoping over the years that it was just my youthful inexperience that was to blame for absolutly hating this stuff, but I was right even then. This is horrible from the get-go! The pouch aroma is pleasant enough, but that's where the party ends. The smoking is harsh to say the least and bite is worse than many of Balkans out there. I found NO Bourbon flavor or aroma in this, so... I added a quarter ounce of Evan Williams Bourbon to the pouch and let it set for a week. After I aired it for a few hours, I loaded my pipe and I fired up this Frankenstein blend and was pleasantly surprised! The addition of real bourbon mellowing tamed the beast here and was quite enjoyable. I still think that 2 stars is pushung this a bit much, but the experiment changed the entire make-up of the tobacco.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (53)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

My first BR tobaccos were this and Cherry Liqueur (reviewed separately). I'd read that it smokes fairly hot, so I let it out to dry for 2 days. The pouch scent was really faint and not really pleasant. It didn't bite too much. It required a few relights. It tasted worse than the worst cigarettes. I couldn't detect any whiskey. It was not cheap ($10). Thankfully, it did not mess up my pipe. Other otc brands are better. Most online-ordered brands are certainly better. Bad quality and bad price, there's no way I can recommend this.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

On the upside this tobacco is easy to find and not too expensive. It also smells pretty good in the pouch. Not great, just pretty good. You really should just sniff it in the pouch cause its all downhill after lighting. The stuff stinks, is harsh, tastes like old, partially smoked cigarettes. Horrible stuff. Does a good job of burning all the way down and requires no relights. The taste is so very strong that it is damn near impossible to blend with something to smooth it out. If this were the only pipe tobacco available left on the planet, I would quit smoking. Just isn't worth your time or money.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

The pouch aroma is like raisins, chewable vitamins, bran muffins and graham crackers. No real evidence of bourbon. Definitely artificial in character, but there is an underlying scent of stale burley tobacco.

Fine ribbon-cut packs OK, lights well.

Starts out bland but not off-putting. Notes of cigarette, trash fire and mouth-coating chemical flavors creep in and take over. Tobacco flavors are uninteresting at best. Bitter vegetal, and unpleasant anise/clove-like flavors come in halfway through the bowl. Second half of the bowl is harsher and soapy. Seems to me a complete waste of time and money. To paraphrase Monty Python - This is not a tobacco for smoking, it's a tobacco for laying down and avoiding.

As Fubber put it in his review - Just don't!

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

mlks777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mlks777 (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Some of the worst tobacco i have ever had. Burns way too hot (burns my mouth whenever i try and smoke it) and it has no flavor... will never buy this again.

aviviljoen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aviviljoen (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Almost as bad as "Honey and Orange". I can't place the taste, but it's certainly not whiskey. Never again.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

Insipid horrid crap, truly unpalatable. I had to retort my pipe three times after trying this. The rest was dumped in bonfire, can't even give this one away.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (128)

I remember when this blend first hit the American market about 40 years ago. I had tried only a few blends at the time and I was trying a pouch of everything I could find in search of something I could like. BR whiskey was the best of the OTC blends at the time. It doesn't seem to taste the same now as it did then but it is still much better than the other drug store blends such as the Captain Black crap (which, by the way, would gag a maggot off a gut wagon).

NBPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NBPiper (2)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

As a newbie pipe smoker, and a whisky drinker, I thought this would be a great choice for me. Boy, was I wrong. Way too much bite to it, and really hard to keep lit. Not recommended at all.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (128)

After reading the reviews for both Borkum Riff and Captain Black I'm confused. The concensus seems to be BR is bad and CB is great. IMHO, neither is very good but, in comparison, BR is much better. No offense to those of you who like the CB blends but they gag me with their sickeningly sweet sticky toppings. (Actually, gold label is the only CB blend I've tried. It was so nauseating I couldn't bring myself to try the other CB blends.) BR does have decent tobacco leaf and the casing enhances rather than hides the taste of the natural tobacco. It burns a tad bit hot if puffed too briskly but it stays lit and it doesn't bite. The first time I smoked Borkum Riff was in the early 1970"s and it was actually very good back then. Unfortunately, the ownership changed hands many times over the years and the quality suffered each time. Still, if drug store stuff is all that is available I buy a pouch of BR.

TheWhiteAfrican Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWhiteAfrican (6)
Mild Medium Full Pleasant

The more people tell me something is terrible, the more I want it. So, I ran down to a pharmacy (I believe it was RiteAid) and picked up a pouch. Yum! I can see where people wouldn't like this, but I am a fan of Bourbon, and, for the price, this was a fun and tasty smoke. Cheap, and my eccentric lover really enjoys the room note. If you like aromatic alcohol tobaccos and enjoy experimenting, then try this. If you don't, then don't.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I purchased this blend because I really enjoy the Black Cavendish Borkum Riff makes. This one was very...mild, it has a flavor of mainly corn; from the Virginia's I think. The Whiskey is quite literally non-existant. You get mainly a corn-like sweetness with a touch of nutiness from the burley.

If you like very mild tasting tobaccos with a corn-like sweetness and very faint nutiness from burleys, give it a try. But there are far better Whiskey blends available out there; China Black for example.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When the fall comes rolling in, I crave pipe tobacco really bad for some reason. Past few years its been Sail green. i can't find the sail anymore so picked up a pouch of this BR bourban whiskey. I have been smoking it like crazy. I dont know alot about blends and did order up somw gawith and davidoff. i just love the stuff and look foward to trying out a vareity. I like the BR bourban whiskey and after the pouch got some air to it, it started burnin better and NO bite. nummy ~sweetbriar

Pyrenish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pyrenish (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

as a new pipe smoker i was lead to belive that pipe tobacco was far superior to cigarette tobacco, however after only 1/2 a bowl of this blend i would prefer a cigarette any day, now, this may be attributed to the fact that A. this was my first bowl, B. it was smoked out of a fairly badly made homemade pipe, and C, im fairly shure i dident follow proper packing technique. still, im am not a fan of this blend, i relit this bowl upwards of 10 times and it refused to stay lit, the tobacco had quite a bite, magnified due to the fact that i had to continuously puff on it for it to stay lit, and the flavor was quite underwelming, tho i plan to re-review this after purchasing a proper pipe and paying more detail to packing and lighting, i can honestly say that i am far from impressed.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not the greatest blend I've tried but not quite the worst.

It does not smoke the way it smells, but its not totally unpleasent, there is a flavour somewhat like bourbon whiskey but somewhat unlike it.

WARNING: It's a biter, slow and easy with this one unless you want a very painfull tongue.

I probably won't be buying this again, but I would not turn it down if offered.

Updated 10/8/10: The other day I found I had half a pouch of BW as well as half a pouch of Half and Half and decided to blend them.

I was rather surprised as they compliment each other nicely, H&H stands well on it's own and it really mellowed the BW and improved the flavour. I suspect that BW goes well as a blending agent with other tobaccos and plan to experiment.

Smoking-To-Port Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking-To-Port (13)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Yes---It's really that bad.Don't touch it.Run in any direction away.Don't be silly,your tongue will thank you every day you don't smoke this.Everyone who knows you ,will thank you for not smoking this.I am a firm believer in everyone smoking what they like...except this.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Fortunately, the original Bourbon Whiskey is no longer produced and has been replaced with another manufacturer.

The original was overwhelming in its casing. The casing was so strong that it generated tingling in my head. And I am not figuratively speaking.

It would bite like you wouldn't believe it and smoked wet.

The new version could be a life saver but only if nothing else is available.

mitts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mitts (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I AGREE WITH MOST OF THE REVIEWS IT SMELLS GREAT IN THE POUCH BUT LETS ITSELF DOWN BY BEING A BIT OF A TOUNGE BITER WITH A AVERAGE TASTE SOME CLAN SMOKERS MIGHT LIKE IT

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

The new manufacturer has significantly improved this mixture.

The original mixture was so much cased that it would bite and the casing would harass your senses.

This one actually tastes of tobacco. It's an acceptable mixture occasionnaly when I seek a change of pace.

dwilliams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dwilliams (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is only my second tobacco I've tried, the other being Captain Black Cherry. Of the two this is far superior. The taste reminds me of a cigar and while there is not a huge whiskey taste, it has all the burn. Would not recommend for those seeking a mild tobacco but for those who would like a tobacco with the burn of whiskey, pick this up. It was extremely mild, I only smoke every other week or so( and only one bowl) and unlike the Captain Black, I experienced no nicotine headache after smoking a bowl. I did how ever experience a sharp taste on my tongue when drinking soda afterward. overall a nice, cheap tobacco for smoking slowly and thoughtfully.

Behindtheclouds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Behindtheclouds (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Quite possibly, the worst thing I have ever tried to toke on.

I am not one of these who have tried hundreds of blends. But, I probably have tried in the neighborhood of 35-40 blends. This is maybe the only one that I have smoked a couple of bowls full, then threw away the package.

It has been awhile since I have tried this so I can not give any specifics about its 'qualities', but I just know that is was totally unsmokable, and I can not imagine how a company could stay in business selling this garbage.

dnfirestone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnfirestone (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Gross, it does not taste like whiskey, but it does taste like crud.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (102)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

It has been many years since I last smoked this and my recolections are that it had a slight hint of Bourbon, I was expecting Scotch, and it bit like a rabid stoat.

No I didn't stock up on this.

Storm Watch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Storm Watch (25)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This bit the heck out of me. It bit me years ago too. Some things never change. The whiskey sure doesn't do anything for this tobacco. Except perhaps make it worse.

I don't like giving just one star to a tobacco but this isn't even cheap enough to make it worth recommending to people who are broke. If you are like me and have to try everything you find then go ahead. Don't say you weren't warned.

Dewey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dewey (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've been smoking a pipe a little over a month now and I will say this is the best I've ever had. Being unexperienced I have only Prince Albert and Carter Hill (also Black Cherry & Vanilla aromatics but I don't count those) to compare to. I took a chance on this at the tobacco shop because I'm still experimenting and was hoping to find "the one". I own two very old Dr. Grabow's that belonged, one to my grandfather, and the other to my uncle, both around 50 years old. I can remember being very young and finding these on the bookshelf in the stand they've stayed on for years, taking them down and smelling inside the bowl. The smell was something so rich and sweet I will never forget it, and it's that particular aroma that I'm hoping to one day find and call my own. SO far this tobacco is very close to what I'm looking for. Along with a very pleasant smell it has virtually zero tongue bite. It's very "light" for lack of better terms, which is somewhat of a tradeoff to what I'm actually looking to find as a daily tobacco, since it is very light on flavor also. There is a hint of whiskey taste to it. If I could find a Brand with this same smokability but with more robust flavor, and keep the tongue bite out of the equation I'd be in heaven. For now, I'll try the Borkum & Riff Vanilla Cavendish next since I already saw it at the shop next to this blend, and keep Borkum & Riff as my favorite smoke.

Dr. Hardcrab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Hardcrab (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I smoked a pipe 25 years ago and remember smoking BorKum Riff. Maybe it was a different blend. Maybe I was young and uninformed. Bottom line: The stuff was awful!!! Very little taste. Not much aroma (the wife said it stinks!). Burned terrible. Just bad. Pass on this one!

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (53)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Strong

I don't know what possessed me to try this tobacco. I had tried two Borkum Riff tobaccos before (Vanilla and Cherry) and disliked both of them. I guess I had nothing better to do and was in need for a good laugh.

Like the other Borkums I've tried, this stuff smokes hot, lacks flavor, and whatever flavor you get is artificial and gross. Leaves a mess in your pipe which then requires the need for all sorts of domestic house cleaning products. Think of what it's doing to your tongue! I double dare anyone to smoke a bowl of this, and use mouth wash to get rid of it's "flavor". Don't do it!!

Even Borkum's own Vanilla Cavendish is a work of high art compared to this - and that tobacco is terrible. If you can call it that, that is. Tobacco, I mean! What I want to know is this :

Who buys this crap? Why? Why is it even manufactured?

I'm quite convinced that the guys who blend this don't have any sense of smell, taste, or touch.

Sorry Borkum, but I will never be buying any of your products ever again. I'd rather set my own hair on fire and inhale the smoke.

muntajab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
muntajab (11)

Here is the pouch http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=j2mmmwd2zmg&thumb=4

I was surprised to see it rated as one star. It can not be compared to Orange and Honey. This one is far much better. I will give it 2 stars.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Concur, but found it tolerable one time with a fresh pouch, right out of the pouch, in a pipe with a very small bowl (which is now finally smokeable again after two years) on a cold day while drinking strong black coffee to cover the taste.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Do yourself a favor. Pull your spare tire out of your trunk and set it on fire. Stand over it and smell the fumes. It will be better than this stuff.

I for one never throw tobacco away. Too many pipe smokers out there would give their right arm for a pouch of tobacco as times are hard. If something tastes bad to me I'll try and blend it or cellar it away for a year or so to see if it improves. Nothing has worked with this stuff. I couldn't even find anyone that would take it off my hands. This is the very first tobacco I have ever thrown away. Sorry pipe lovers, I did you a favor this time by tossing it.

MSUMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MSUMike (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Dog meat. One bowl and it was straight to the trash and that's really saying something for a cheap ass engineer.

I can't fully describe it because some survival mechanism in my brain supresses the memory.

Ghost1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghost1974 (10)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Poor old Borkum Riff...Gee I hate to pile on, but still...

I bought this before I even had a computer, so as others have said, I never read a review of this one before I bought and tried it. I mean, it was sold everywhere at that time so it had to be good, right?

Wrong.

It tasted bad, it was really goopy, and even my rookie palate at the time knew it. Still, being the trouper I was back then (short on funds), I didn't waste a bit of it. I can look back and be philosophical about it, it was all part of the journey. Thank goodness I stuck with the hobby...

Disclaimer- If you like it, you like it. Enjoy!

Colby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colby (9)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Strong

I bought a pouch of this before reading any reviews, and BOY, I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had read some reviews on it, because its reviews are horrible, even though the lady at the tobacco store said it was the tobacco she sold the most of. I didn't think it was that bad. I liked it a little more than Captain Black. It definitely is a stronger and more "tobacco" like flavor but it leaves a sweet smoky aftertaste on the roof of your mouth. The smoke is definitely not aromatic so smoke outdoors. The tobacco was a little dry right out of the pouch and it bit my tongue a little bit so I was forced to smoke slow. Seemed to stay lit fairly well. My first impression wasn't awful but at the same time I'm not in love with it either. Don't think I'll ever fall in love with a drug store tobacco. Cheers.

UPDATE: Upon a second bowl of BR Whiskey, a horrible taste was detected, not sure what it was but I'm pretty sure a large mammal crawled into my pipe and died there before I smoked it. I'm not going to revisit the Riff any time soon. One star. Not recommended.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

If you want to stop smoking - this will do the trick. Smoke some of this then drink a soda -- I dare ya! We loose a lot of pipemen due to blends as this. You might try smoking the plastic package it comes in - no worse.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Strong

Opening the package, this tobacco has the aroma of cheap American style RYO blends. Figuring that these types of tobaccos are barely tolerable in cigarettes, I couldn't expect much from them in a pipe, where quality is much more important.

It lights, it burns, the taste is somewhat sweet and somewhat ashy. The flavor can become almost acrid. The aroma this tobacco produces is offensive. Smoking it indoors, I could not tolerate the aroma, so I assume that others would find it equally offensive. I didn't find it to bite the tongue, which may be its only redeeming quality.

If you are looking for a widely carried blend at a cheap price, Captain Black (Blue and White), Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Sir Walter Raleigh are all better choices.

rhapsodyofmetal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rhapsodyofmetal (42)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I tend to favor weird aromatics of this sort. I like the vanilla and cherry flavors but when I see this sort of aromatic I always give it a try. It had a musky flavor and smell similar to Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic and felt of same quality.

Big Jim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Jim (15)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is one that every smoker should try. Buy a pouch and share it with other pipe smokers that may not have tried it. After this experience any tobacco (no matter how bad) will definitely be a step up. I didn?t care for it in the early 80?s then since my taste had changed I gave it another try in the late 90?s. After being introduces to better quality tobaccos the experience was worse than I remembered.

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Unnoticeable

It actually has a taste that can be considered to be of an actual beverage called whiskey. Sadly the taste fades in and out in the tope quarter of the bowl, and is gone by the end of the top third.

Not the greatest but not the worst. Will serve to send new smokers to real whiskey blends.

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)

Well, just checking out the local variety which amounts to about 8 to 10. We have no tobacconist in our area, so you have to know what's available local for when you run out of good stuff. This is one of the best I've had from a supermarket/variety. There is some whiskey taste at the start, but that burns off within 10 minutes, but closer to the bottom reveals a good blend of tobaccos. Mild but tasty, and burns clean at the bottom. Not as good as those I can order online, but good to remember.

thorsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thorsman (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Having read the various reviews on varieties of this classic drugstore brand, it was with some trepidation that I even removed it from the shelf at the store. I was expecting to get tongue bite just from handling the pouch. Bourbon sounded good, and I was encouraged by the fact that the package proclaimed "Made in Denmark". The instant rebate didn't hurt either. I plunked down the rather modest price and figured it was worth a chance.

On opening the pouch, I was surprised to find that the tobacco smelled for the most part like tobacco, rather than bourbon. Neither was the tobacco overly wet, as were most bourbon flavored aromatics that I have tried. The moisture level was just about what I consider perfect. The cut is longer than I generally like these days, but tolerable.

I proceeded to load up the knockabout pipe that happened to be with me. Packing was a little clumsy due to the length of the strands, but easy enough. After the charring lights, I settled down to a surprisingly pleasant smoke.

This is not a complex or pretentious tobacco. The bourbon flavoring is very sparing indeed, and you have to look for the flavor. Mostly there is just mild tobacco taste. It is consistent from the top of the bowl to the bottom. I experienced none of the fabled tongue bite associated with Borkum Riff varieties. When I got to the bottom of the bowl, there was nothing but grey and black ash, no goop or moisture at all.

The room note is so soft that it's hardly worth mentioning. Even in the confines of my vehicle, a small crack in the vent window was enough to completely remove the smell of smoke. A few minutes after I finished the bowl you'd never have known that I had one.

Since that first bowl I've had several more, and the smoking has been consistent, regardless of the pipe in use. The aftertaste is even nice. I'm pretty sure there is humectant there somewhere, as there is in most drugstore pouches, but it didn't come forward to spoil the smoking.

This is pretty darn good performance for a drug store pouch, IMHO. It's not something I'd buy a big tin of and smoke all the time, although I think you could if you wanted to. Certainly it will be on my list for those times when I just need a simple, pleasant smoke that doesn't require too much of my attention. The very soft room note and lack of persistence makes it great in the car.

Overall, recommended... remembering that this is a drugstore tobacco that's available almost everywhere, not a carefully hand blended mixture. A complete surprise, but a pleasant one.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

Yuk. I could smoke this type of tobacco in the 70's, but not anymore.

ButchA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ButchA (4)
Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

UGH!!! Good God, I remember this awful stuff, back when I was foolish enough to try it.

Take note: Do NOT try this stuff. Spare yourself and the lining of your mouth and tongue! This stuff is so bad and so foul smelling, you'll be tempted to call a HAZMAT team!

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Swill. CRAP. HORRIBLE! I like a good aromatic as much as the next guy, and enjoy some more traditional English blends as well, and this stuff is GARBAGE. It is shredded like confetti, overly dry and brittle between your fingers, and bites like hell no matter how gently you try and smoke it. I smoked 2 bowls on different days and tossed the remainder in the trash.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Easy to get, very mild, slight toasty, not bad really, but will not satisfy the average pipe smoker.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Extra Strong

Despite the fact that it says high quality tobacco, I don't know where they get the justification for it.

The casing is so strong that it rips your tongue off right from the start, the surroundings complain of the extra strong aroma and it leaves your pipe wet.

Not my cup of tea.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I bought a pouch of this for the sake of trying, was a while ago, but on rare occasions I (usually) smoke it in a cob. It doesn't really deserve all this negative press, even if it's hardly the best tobacco ever made.

It is quite strong, which surprises me a little. I can detect the burley and a faint taste of bourbon (more like a hint of sweet-corn after taste than anything else, which does intensify somewhat further down the bowl). Can't sense any virginia in there, though it is probably in there somewhere, if you look hard enough.

It treats my tongue well, but I guess it'll bite if you tempt fate (what tobacco doesn't?). At worst a small tingle on the false light. After that it burns without any problems at all. It is very thinly cut, almost like loosepacked cigarette tobacco, which makes packing a breeze. This makes it burn pretty fast also, for better or for worse.

Should you try it? Who knows, you might like it.

As far as I am concerned, I probably won't buy another pouch of it, but on the other hand, I don't regret buying the one I have now.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

One really has to hand it to the folks at Borkum Riff. They pulled off one of the biggest con job advertising/packaging campaigns in the history of pipesmoking.

Low grade tobaccos and flavorings packed in an attractive pouch and sold as a premium product in drug stores. Pretty slick.

Even slicker is how they manage to foist this crap upon the public in this day and age. With the advent of the internet and subsequently so much information about pipe tobacco and a whole new level of availability for previously hard to find tobacco, it's amazing that anyone would settle for this type of low grade product.

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public." - H. L. Mencken

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Strong Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I smoked this stuff along with half and half when I first started smoking a pipe. At first, without much to compare it to, I thought it was alright. Years later I revisited this blend hoping I would grow fond of it since it is readily available. Well, the second time around i didn't think it was alright, in fact i hated it. I smoked about three quarters of the pouch just to see if i could make myself like it but i had to stop. The taste is strong but it doesn't really taste like tobacco or whiskey, it was like smoking pencil shavings. My tongue was so sore after a while that it was a pain in the butt to brush my teeth.

It's easy to pack and keep lit, but it is too dry for my taste.

I don;t know, since i see this stuff everywhere i guess it's good, otherwise why would it be so popular? It's just not exactly my kind of smoke. My advice would be to just give it a try, you might like it.

UPDATE: I changed my mind, I thought about it and there are so many decent blends out there with two start that this one does not deserve two start. Downgrading it to one star

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

There is nothing worth smoking here.. No whiskey taste whatsoever and very low quality tobaccos.. A complete waste of money..

Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Where's the whiskey in this stuff? It burns hot, it tends to dampen, it's tasteless...

Move along, nothing to see here.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Very Mild Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Wise was I to try this old standard in a cob! I got a hold of an older (mid 70s)pack of this blend, awakened its dry contents with the help of a tart apple slice, and after a few days, smoked. I can only imagine that those inclined to like the floral flavours might, just might, appreciate this tabak. There is something of the Lakeland taste in the smoke. The smell in the pouch is sweet and enticing. However, that's where the fun stops. I have joined the chorus on this note...out the window it goes.

savage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
savage (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This tasted and smelled like cigarettes. I started smoking pipe tobacco for a reason... to get away from cigerettes. This rancid smell from the pouch should have tipped me off. Unfourtunately its so widely available; I'm not too sure who even buys this stuff. If you like chemical ridden smoke then this is it... If you like pipe tobacco... definately try something different.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Let me just mention my cons:

Too expensive - I can easily find far better aromatics for half the price (say Amphora Red - this is not my favorite, but it is much better)

Burns too hot

The aroma is quite heavy / stale

It tends to give a wet smoke.

I will stay away from it as much as I can.

This is one of the first pipe tobaccos I ever tried (together with Capt. Black, Amphora Red and Clan). In my opinion, this is the best of the Borkum Riff range or, if you so prefer, not as bad as the others in this German-Swedish family. It is not as goopy or cased as either the Black or Cherry Cavendish varieties, and it does have more body and presence than the Ultra Light or Champange versions.

Evidently a popular tobacco, and readily available almost anywhere, it has enough Virginia flavour to fight back the Bourbon whiskey casing, and the Burley adds a certain sharpness which I find rather enticing. To put it briefly: it does taste of tobacco. The samples I remember were not particularly moist, and the famous (or infamous) riff cut (long thin strands) were never an obstacle to pack and light it easily. I assume it must contain some humectant or artifical substance to keep it fresh, and that tends to give it an industrialised undertone. But it's not that bad. I would rate BRW a mild to middle strength smoke, not really sweet, and if smoked slowly it won't bite. Not a particularly cool smoke, it does leave a tolerable room aroma.

Within the range of highly commercial brands, this blend is pretty good and can be smoked safely by both aromatic and non aromatic smokers. Definitely not an exceptional tobacco, but if stranded somewhere in the wild, it can become a passable option. __________

NB: I just tried the new, Danish blended version. It is much better than its previous German version. The taste is fuller and rounder, and the casing seems to be now a topping, providing a more defined and richer tobacco flavor, with a stronger Burley presence. Hence, one more star for this readily available blend. Smoke it slowly, though, because the tongue bite is still there...(January, 2007)

rlaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rlaw (13)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Forget it, don't even bother with this stuff. Just simply bad, not much else you can about this. If you are in a pinch and this is all you can find, stop smoking a pipe until you can get some real tobacco.

giturra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
giturra (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've always had bad experiences with borkum riff, so far everything I've tried by them has been disappointing to say the least, this mix was no exeception. But I'd like to note that there's a slightly different and better version of this by borkum riff as well, it's called "High maltland whisky", and to be honest with you, that one is pretty good, it's the ONE BR mix I can enjoy, then again, it's not like that this other mix is the best thing ever, but at least it's smokeable, and tasty so try that one, and forget about this dreadful one.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

TOAST, WEAK GOLDEN RAISIN

This is not quality, but is easy to obtain, very inexpensive. It is light, flat, mild, a little toasty.Weak raisin like-toast... Unilateral and no suprises. BETTER PICK: GL PEASE BARBARY COAST, TROOST

BEST PICK: Dunhills Light Flake, Orlik Golden Slices

scotty815 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scotty815 (12)

This was one of my first tobaccos, Last year i picked up a pouch of this for the sake of nostalgia. I dont know what kind of whiskey they use, but i assume its rotgut. It will burn a pipe to the ground, along with your eyes and nose. dont bother with this.

Wriggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wriggles (44)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Every so often I slip back 35+ years and buy Borkum Riff. How I remember the fancy package with the sailing ships. As a young soldier, I thought this was expensive tobacco. (at 35 cents a pack)

Today, I find it barely smokeable. If it had no nostalgia value, I'd say it was a too sweet, tongue biting smoke. Much better tobacco out there.

However, I can't understand why this stuff is sold everywhere, when decent tobaccos are very difficult to find.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Yuck!!! This stuff is full of casing. It is a hot and harsh smoke. It dried out my mouth on the first draw. I could not finish my bowl and ended up throwing the whole pouch away. Oh well I learn the hard way.

Maverick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maverick (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

It's hard for me to believe it now, but when I first took up the pipe in the mid-80s, this was actually my favorite smoke !?! No wonder I actually gave up pipe smoking for several years. In fact, given that this "tobacco" is sold nearly everywhere, I assume that many people are buying it, and I can't believe that they somehow stick with the hobby, as I have. Amazing. It's not worth much time or effor to either write a detailed review of this blend, nor for the reader to spend much time reading it. Let's just say that for the same or less money, there are so many blends that are wonderful smokes, and not a tongue-scorching torture experience like this is. In fact, the only way I would every buy any of this tobacco again is if I needed to convert my briar into either a cutting torch or a flamethrower. This stuff smokes HOT, and leaves a gnarly aftertaste for a considerable time period afterward. Do yourself a big favor, and look elsewhere for your pipe fodder. Definitely not recommended.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Sigh, A man I greatly admired smoked this and I bought and tried it. I am suprised and decided to give it a fair review. Aroma: Booze, Raisins. Taste: at start, am I smoking? 1/3: toast, light sweet 2/3: a salsa-like tingle, light sweet 3/3: stronger toast and mild spicy tingle. sweet through nose. Super availible, Mild fix when your out of your overpriced boutique crap. I have spent four times as much for tobacco I have tossed out. It is adequate. Virginia/ Burley mix.

Toe Bacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toe Bacco (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I recieved Borkum Riff Whiskey as a gift from a friend. I was very new to pipesmoking. In fact, the only other tobacco I had smoked by the time I received BRW was Clan.

Because I was new to pipe smoking, I wondered what the appeal of smoking was after trying this tobacco. The taste was terrible and it burnt my tongue. Thank God it's buried away in clutter and I have found better tobaccos.

My advice: Cut to the chase and dump this crud. Find other tobacco.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I have smoked this several times over my pipe smoking career and have never been able to get attached to it. This is one of those drug store blends that I buy because there is no tobacconist for miles and I?m desperate. Every time I end up with tongue bite and a nasty taste in my mouth. I?ve never been all that good at smoking Danish blends and maybe I just smoke it too hard, but I?m always sorry I purchased this one. I never can taste the whiskey unless that is what is so hot. Some day I would like to try the cherry version of this however I?m afraid that one will really be a scorcher! Some day , somewhere in a small town out of the way I may meet a bag of cherry Borkum R. and we will see just what kind of dare devil I can be.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)

well i have to start out saying,this isn't what i expected,i didn't taste the whiskey,it initially had some tongue bite,although slight,it went away the more i smoked it.i expected more of a aroma,by the smell of the pouch when first opened it i figured there would be more of a aroma.it certainly isn't strong so i would say its good for newbies.i would buy this in a pinch.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My Dad smoked this, so in his memory, I decided to give it a try. The pouch aroma took me back to when I was a kid and would smell the contents in the black and white pouch with a picture of a sailing ship on it. And there ends anything pleasant I have to say about this blend. There are drugstore blends I can tolerate, and there are one or two I'd say I like. I enjoy all types of blends, aromatics, english, crossover hybrids, burley-based, VAs, etc. With Borkum Riff Whiskey, where the flavoring failed to disappoint me, the smoking characteristics and flavor of the crappy tobacco when it finally made its appearance took over where the atrocious casing left off. Sorry Dad.

Toddian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toddian (5)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think everyones being kind of hard on this tobacco, sure it is not the best in the world, but it is not the worst in my opion. I find it to be enjoyable on occasian.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An o.k. tobacco for newbies. I wouldn't smoke it now unless it was all I had left.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Overwhelming Extra Strong Extra Full Strong

Never again. Not if it was the last tobacco on earth.

Blade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade (6)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

I signed on to this site as a reviewer just so I could pan this tobacco. Once upon a time, I decided to quit cigarettes and smoke a pipe, actually a small collection of pipes inherited from Granddad-decent pipes. So off to the drugstore to get, you guessed it ?Borkum Riff-Whiskey?.

For two hellish months of torture I dump bowl after bowl of soggy, gooey, sticky, smelly, nasty, putrid remnants of each end bowl trying to learn ?technique?, build cake, packing, etc. with my pipes. The physical effects of this experience included tongue incineration, scorched mouth, nausea, sinus headaches, you get the idea.

Finally, I switched to a real tobacco and the story has a happy ending. Smoking real tobacco in a briar pipe is a joy to me today.

For the uninitiated to this concoction: BEWARE-STAY AWAY FROM BORKUM RIFF!!!

spandex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spandex (4)
Medium to Strong Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Wwow!! when you smoke this stuff you had better have a fire extinguisher ,or a bucket -o- water around because this stuff burns hot! hot!! hot!!! I could not get this stuff to burn cool no matter how I packed the bowl. I found the tast to be too much for me as well. I suppose the the room note was o. k. Not recommended.

PipeSmokerForLife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeSmokerForLife (10)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked this on occasion back in the 1970's and to tell the truth, either I have changed over time or the tobacco has changed. I won't bother to go over the smoking qualities since there a gaggle of reviews on this blend already and I aggree with almost all of them.

However, let me point out and recommend to everyone that if Borkum Riff Whiskey or any flavored whiskey blend is a factor to the taste buds. Then forget this stuff!! Try Finck's Whiskey from Finck Cigar Company. It's made by Peter Stokebye and is a hell of an improvement over this p*ss soaked cardboard from Borkum Riff.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After years, I tried this stuff again for a bit of nostalgia. Bad decision. It is sad that this is one of the main offerings to newer pipe smokers.

This gunk, packed into a Dr. Grabow, touched off by a match produces a blowtorch effect that could cut a rusted bolt off of a battleship anchor.

The room note is o.k., but what would you expect from boiling caramel? I like my wife's Yankee Candles too, but I have never felt the need to dump the molten wax on some Burley and light it in a pipe. I rated the flavoring as strong, only because it is unrestrained topping dumped on Burley. I have no clue as to the quality of the Virginia because all semblance of tobacco is eclipsed by the cheap flavoring.

My only regret, aside from trying this stuff again, is that I actually have to give this stuff a star. There should be a no-star catagory for assaultive sugared-up goop.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Produced in Denmark for the Swedish Match Company, Borkum Riff Whiskey is an easily accessible and low cost tobacco mixture that is not necessarily favored by dedicated pipe tobacco smokers.

The pouch aroma is of flavored figs and is certainly one-dimensional. There is little doubt that Borkum Riff Whiskey has a medium strong casing. This blend is comprised of lower quality Virginia and Burley tobaccos. The color of the blend has an even distribution of dark brown, light brown, and orange/yellow shades.

The cut is somewhat crude and resembles a refined shag cut. Packing is simple and the initial moisture is not overwhelming, but nonetheless it needs some drying. Borkum Riff Whiskey, if allowed to remain exposed to the open air, will not dry completely but instead remain slightly spongy. The heavy addition of a humectant to this tobacco blend is responsible for the aforementioned characteristic.

Lighting of this blend is simple enough and the burn of Borkum Riff Whiskey is quite rapid, uneven, and leaves dottle in the darker colored ash. A good amount of gooey resin is always present at the bottom of the bowl by the end of the smoke. The room note tends to be somewhat ashy.

The whiskey component cannot be detected easily in the flavor of this mixture. Instead, a bland and at times sour ashy taste remains painfully present in the flavor. Little true tobacco taste makes itself know while smoking this blend. Even when forced dried, Borkum Riff Whiskey still bites and tends to leave an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth.

Although Borkum Riff Whiskey may certainly not be the worst of the convenience store pipe tobacco blends, it still falls short of being a decent tobacco.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

One of the first tobaccos I ever tried. I'm amazed that I still smoke a pipe.

There are good tobaccos out there. This isn't one of them.

Leaves your tongue feeling like you licked sandpaper and poured hot sauce on it.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)

Burley and virginia fine cut. The whisky flavoring isn't that good. It doesn't do the tobacco much justice. This blend was good when you could of purchased the cognac flavor or rum flavor. I don't care much for the cherry or whisky. If they brought back the other flavors I think some of the reveiws on this would be more positive. Especially the cognac. There's alot of good tobaccos that were discontinued and alot of lousy tobaccos still sold. Go figure! Thats the case here.

Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Strong

I bought this dreck when I was particularly ignorant about tobacco. The reference to smoking shredded newsprint soaked in bad bourbon is pretty apt. I was fortunate in that the sample I tried was quite dry, and I suffered no tongue bite. However, I couldn't finish the pouch, and I wouldn't dare make an enemy by giving it away. Save your money.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Another pipe ruined.

Would someone be kind enough to put a bullet in my head?

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (33)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Overwhelming

This tobacco offended me on a spiritual and emotional level. I was left with an acrid taste in my mouth, a fouled pipe (thank God for the disposability of corn cob pipes!) and a confused, melancholy realization that there are people out there that made this tobacco.

I find myself questioning the very goodness of humanity when tobacco like this is allowed to be sold to the public and not relegated to back-room torture chambers.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I purchased this to give some variation to my other tobaccos. I too had no problem with the stickiness or goopy residue although it does tend to bite the tongue if you are not careful. I am learning to smoke slower than I used too and have gone from a staight to a full bent pipe. Havent decided if that changes much other than the way I hold the pipe. It is kinda ashy tasting near the end but overall, not bad for a cheap store brand. Not a bad choice if out and about in the countryside, but not for relaxing on the back porch. My wife said it didnt smell bad, but I have to smoke outside anyway.

Fluno24 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fluno24 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild Tolerable

I am an Extreme Novice to Pipe Smoking and much like many of the Reviewers this was my first smoke. I don't exactly remember the texture, but i do think it was a bit sticky. I had to relight a few times, but at the time i just thought it was because i didn't know what i was doing. Like most people have said it does burn your tongue and leaves a nasty after tasty in your mouth sometimes for a couple days, but all in all i tried other Tobaccos. So i guess i would say it isn't amazingly bad as your first tobacco, but i would deffinitly recommend Captain Black Royal or White over any Borkum

Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newbie (2)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I'm new to the world of pipe smoking (I've been smoking only a few months), but I don't think I would recommend this tobacco even to new smokers. I originally made a slightly more sympathetic review than others here, but had to come back and correct myself after smoking this crap for a while. It's flavor is really pretty bizarre, and doesn't have much of the "whiskey" taste stated on the label. The whiskey flavor it does have tastes like Wild Turkey that has been left out overnight. The pouch I bought was fairly dry, not sticky as is stated in some other reviews. It's better than some other drugstore tobaccos, but not by much. It does have more of a tea-like flavor than anything else. This stuff will bite the hell out of your tongue, and it smells pretty rank. This was actually the first tobacco I tried, but I have now tried it twice and haven't been able to finish a pouch either time.If you are a new smoker on a budget I would recommend Captain Black instead. If you smoke this, you may never want to smoke again. Oh, and another warning: the flavor this stuff leaves in your pipe will make you wonder if someone has been burning dead grass and newspaper in it. If you insist on smoking this stuff, don't do it in your favorite pipe.

WNDE Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WNDE (69)

I don't think this tobacco is that bad, it's not great, but not bad either. The contents of my pouch were quite dry, none of the stickiness reported by other reviewers. It left no residue on my fingers as I packed my pipe. It has a slightly sweet taste for the first half of the bowl but I found it does have a tendency to burn hot by the end. I found the aroma and taste pleasant but unremarkable. If you can afford better, by all means do so, but if you are on a budget and can't get to your tobacconist, it will do in a pinch.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess I just wanted to get my two cents in here on Borkum Riff in the hopes that I may help spare new pipers the torment I went thru some 15 yrs ago. If you are new to pipe smoking and you bought this stuff, throw it out and cut your losses. Otherwise, you will wonder why the pouch smells of chemicals and not tobacco, why it won't stay lit, why it burns your tongue, why you can't develop a cake in your bowl and why your tongue has a nasty taste on it 24/7. The reason? This weed is shite! So you wasted a few bucks--better than wasting a few months (or god forbid longer) trying to get this weed to smoke decently. Throw it out now, and buy some Captain Black White. If outside the U.S. try some Amphora Full Aroma (red pouch), but stay away from all Borkum weed!

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I couldn't detect any taste of Whiskey at all.Infact it tasted more like 'tea leave's'to me!!!Made no impression on me at all.If you were desperate, & ran out everything else & could only get this(Then maybe it might better than nothing)1 star out of 4.

Andrey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andrey (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am surprised at negative evaluation stated above. It is certain that this blend is not of so high quality, but I think this is not so bad blend in consideration of it's price range. I used to smoke this regularly when I was a novice. And I bought it once this year. It's simple flavour is suitable for novices. But if you expect the flabour of aged Bourbon Whisky on reading the description on the pouch, you will be disappointed. Yet, this blend has liquor like sweetness and a little sourness, it is true, and it burns regularly in cause of good component of Virginia and Burley. I think it's Burley makes capable of cool smoking. In a word, it is easy to deal with. It is worth mentioning that this blend contains no Black Cavendish. If you are tired of black Cavendish, this might be pace changer. In Bolkum Series, I prefer Champagne, which has more refined flabour. Now I smoke Champagne on occasion.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This was one of my first regular pipe tobaccos some 30 years ago. Being in my teens, I liked it better then my step-father's Half-N-Half. I do remember it being goopy and it did smoke hot, however, my puffin' cadence was quite rapid in those days.

I have tried on several occasions in the last couple of years to get reacquainted with this blend but find it very difficult to even finish a pouch of it. I think that once a smoker departs from this blend into the English and Virginia's, this blend seems very "tart & sour" tasting.

I have a co-worker that smokes this blend by the pound!! Apparently he's not by himself as this tobacco is on every shelf in the country.

If I was grading this tobacco 20-30 years ago, I would have probably given it a very high rating. Now after exploring the tobacco world and tasting and testing what it has to offer,..... I can't go back.

Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

As for the above reviews, all I can say is, "now fellers, be nice." So what if this stuff is sweet, gooey and hot? It must be beloved by some folks because it's a brisk seller at the supermarkets. I smoked Borkum Whiskey some 30 years ago when I first took up the pipe. I'm still a pipe smoker, so, I couldn't have had nearly as bad an experience as the above reviewers. Or, perhaps I'm into self-mutilation. Oh well.

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I bought and smoked this before I knew any better. Do yourself a favor: Shred up some old newspapers, soak them in cheap whiskey, and smoke them instead. You'll get the same result without the goopy residue in your pipe.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Some blends are aromatic flavored tobaccos, this is a slightly tobacco flavored aromatic. Opening the pouch was my first mistake, he unopened aroma should have warned me off. Packing it into a pipe was the second mistake, it was really sticky and left crap all over my fingers. Lighting it was the final mistake. Actually, the first mistake was buying the st. I'm soory, i didn't mean to insult st that way. STAY AWAY FROM IT!!

fortezero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fortezero (11)
Extremely Mild Medium Very Full Overwhelming

Yeah, yeah.. I've had my share of borkum riff, but making mistakes is what teaches us good lessons in life; like, never buy anything called "borkum". Again, opening the pouch produces a fairly bizarre stench, not so much of a whiskey smell as a smell of dead leaves. Not tobacco leaves, mind you.. something akin to oak leaves. This tobacco feels as awful as does the cherry blend, which makes sense, as its exactly the same thing with a different casing to it. The packing for this is exactly like the cherry blend, although not quite so sticky as the cherry stuff. As soon as fire hit the bowl, again, it retreated down about a quarter of the way for some reaason, and continued to burn quickly, and with lots of heat for the remainder of the bowl. Not recommended at all. It'd probably be a better smoke if one took some oak leaves, shoved them in your pipe, dumped in some whiskey, and lit it with a flaming chicken leg.

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This one almost made me quit pipe smoking before I even started.

I won't say much about this one. One of the first blends I purchased, ignorant of the world of high quality, premium tobacco. A very mild, poor quality, artificial whisky taste that burns extremely hot. I then proceeded to toss it in the garbage after the 2nd smoke. After the Hungarian government nationalized the sale of tobacco, this is the type of crap Hungarians are forced to smoke now at tobacco shops, unless you import them online.

Purchased From: Wish I didn't

Cowtownbaldie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cowtownbaldie (2)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I am very disappointed in this tobacco. I purchased it and find it very strong and bitter. I don't enjoy this tobacco. I am new to pipe smoking and perhaps the whiskey/bourbon flavors are not for me.

Pipe Used: Dorchester

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (145)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not so terrible as described. The choice (ingredients’ selection) is ok: Virginia, Black Cavendish and Bourbon Whiskey blended together (really I don’t know if before it was better because I didn’t try the first “version” Virginia, Burley and Bourbon). I like this kind of flavoring (bourbon, rum, whiskey, cognac , brandy and so on) because I think it’s a perfect marriage. With these flavorings you can always perceive the tobacco. And indeed, in this mixture you can always savor the taste of tobacco. But it’s essential take care when you mix with others seasonings. I mean that if you are employing some spirit as a chief ingredient, consequently you have to be careful with the “casing” and with the final “top dressing”. And in this mixture you can perceive a bitter aftertaste, probably due to the wrong combination of some seasoning, incompatible with Bourbon Whiskey. For these reasons, in my personal rating system (from 1 to 10) my score is 6 and two stars.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (99)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The current version is both better and less so in some respects to the older version I smoked twenty plus years ago. The basic flavor seems consistent but lacks that extra bit of sweetness that rounded it out, likely due to ingredient restrictions these days of coarse. On the other hand, there is a real improvement over the older version that had a high amount of stems that were processed and incorporated into the black cavendish part of the blend that seriously affected the smoking experience. So, It's a smoother blend these days with a dark semi sweet character that is uniquely it's own and hard to describe. It doesn't taste or smell like whiskey. It's reminiscent of molasses, chocolate truffle and maybe a bit of dried fig. This is a dryer blend for an aromatic typical of European black cavendish along with the larger proportion of golden virginia it's blended with.

On a side note, I was reminded by this blend of the older Balkan Sobranie from the early 90's, it's base of light and dark virginias which I understand was cased and stoved-cavendish to make up the dark component. It is surprising how well this newer Borkum Riff works as a base for an English mixture; Just add turkish and latakia. It's not Balkan Sobranie but nevertheless it really works.

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff Black Cavendish.

ShadowFox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ShadowFox (8)

I've tried this tobacco recently and I like it. There is not too much of a bite, it has a good taste and mild whisky flavoring. It's not the best of Borkum Riff, but it is a good blend.

Nwpipesmker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nwpipesmker (25)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Living in a place that has limited available opportunities to buy pipe tobacco at a decent price. My go to tobacco was sold out and this was sitting there. I bought a pouch. I opened it and it was as dry as dehydrated water. There was no pouch note. No taste it burnt hot and bit like a rabid dog. Tossed the pouch. I am not going to rate this low nor high. I might amend my review at a later date.

Purchased From: Local b&m

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (31)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Nope...... Sorry, but unless my taste buds have changed dramatically thru the years, this is NOWHERE AND NOTHING like the BR from the 70's. Now, upon reflecting a bit, I am sure I have revamped my tastes somewhat, but it seems like the old warhorses I used to smoke in my youth have all changed for the worst. The Dutchman, Amphora, even Cherry Blend have all been changed. I am an aromatic smoker 75% of the time, so it's not like I have been away from the genre for all this time, but these are truly mediocre OTC blends that have gone south for me.

Pipe Used: Briars and cobs

Age When Smoked: Who knows with OTC blends

Purchased From: Walgreens, CVS, who knows?

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (123)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

Well after a 50g pouch i do not consider it as a quality tobacco...the smell when breaking the seal is decent cavendish dominates the taste wich doesn't last till the end of the bowl.easy packing a bit moist but no drying is needed.at the beginning you get some bourbon taste wich is lost after a few puffs.it burns hot and it has a very unique room smell.(not pleasant not bad).as you go it is flat with a bit bite if you go hard.it leaves more moist than should to the bowl.for one pouch is good you won't lose but you wo't earn something also.

Age When Smoked: When opened!

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (82)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I bought this in a pinch at a mini market.

Nice pouch aroma, looks really pretty in the pouch too. Nice fluffy ribbons that are easy to work with. Lights pretty easily too, with e few charrs to get it going.

The initial light gives a nice vanilla bourbon flavor that is unusual to a non aro smoker like me. The flavor is simple and the topping dies down a third through the smoke. It can nip at your tongue easily if you smoke it hot. It's not a great smoke though altogether. Pretty bland if you normally smoke something more complex. It'll do in a pinch, but may end up in the trash by the end of the day. Meh, 2 1/2 stars maybe. Moving on.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My nephew gave me a sample of this after I told him I had never tried it. It is something I did not want to spend money on as I feared I would not like it. I am a huge whiskey fan as it is always my preferred beverage, but I have yet to really find a whiskey flavored tobacco that I really like despite trying several. My favorite so far is Peterson's Irish whiskey and I think that is more out of the base component tobaccos than it is about the toppings.

I have often seen BR's bourbon whiskey referred to as bitey and I often chalk this up to inexperience of the smoker as it tends to be a pervasive over the counter blend that a new comer to the hobby would see in a lot of tobacco shops. But, smoking this blend, I can see where it would be seen as bitey as it did get pretty hot on the tongue when my concentration slipped.

As to the whiskey flavor, I found it light and inoffensive, but it was nothing like a nice glass of Woodford Reserve on the rocks. As to the underlying leaf, there was nothing too write home about here. No deep earthiness like the aforementioned Peterson blend.

To its credit, I did not find this blend to be goopy like a captain black blend or something such as that. This is likely due to the fact that this is a European aromatic and also, the reason I tend to prefer European aros over our American version of the same.

To this end, I did not really like this blend, but did not really dislike it either. I am leaving it a 2 stars as it did not repulse me enough to throw it out.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I bought a pouch of this over the weekend because I was completely out of tobacco and wanted something right away, rather than ordering my favourites from online and having to wait a few days. Nearly $60 Australian for one 50g pouch of this. OUCH!

It's just very "OK" to me. It does the trick in a pinch, but I would not be buying this normally.

It smells nice in the pouch, but basically like every other non-fruity aromatic. I can't really smell any bourbon.

Smoking it, I can't really taste bourbon either. It burns my tongue pretty bad, but I puff pretty fast. I don't like having to constantly relight my pipes so I probably smoke them too fast.

Maybe it's because I hadn't had any pipes for a couple of months, but this stuff has been hitting me with a fairly hard nicotine kick. I had to put the pipe down before it was finished once, just because I was worried I'd start feeling ill.

I smoked this outdoors once in company with some cigarette smokers. One commented that she could really smell my tobacco, and I asked her if it smelled nice. The answer was along the lines of "not really nice, just different." So I probably wouldn't recommend this one to someone wanting a really pleasant room note.

tl;dr It's OK in a pinch, but not something I'd buy normally.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Corncob

Purchased From: Smokemart

Seasoned Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seasoned Puffer (6)

In the 1970s and 80s, I smoked the black and white tin Borkum Riff Whiskey and liked it very much. In time, I drifted into mixing my own blends as I think most of us do eventually. Recently, for the sake of nostalgia, I bought a pouch of the Bourbon Whiskey blend. It's true, you can't go back. The blending has changed to a degree that it's too sweet for me---leaves a bite I don't remember from the old blend. If you are on the road and forget your tobacco pouch, this would be an OK "drugstore" substitute; otherwise, might be best to wait until you get back home.

Pipe Used: Peterson p-lip Kildare chubby

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: local tobacco shop

wandyhee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wandyhee (16)

Open my 1st pack, smell good easy packing easy lit taste okay but not my choice, maybe it's fine for beginner who want to explore tobacco taste without hurting the wallet

Age When Smoked: New in pack

Purchased From: kamelahtobaccohouse.com

Graham24 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Graham24 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I purchased this blend just to bide time until my more premium tons come in the mail. Although it may not be by much, I suppose that it was better than nothing. The tobacco itself is moist enough, neither dry nor soaked, and lights just fine. Upon the initial firing of the bowl I did detect the slightest hint of whiskey. Shortly thereafter however the taste faded to a very uninteresting and bland smoke. If smoked slowly, the bite can be avoided and the taste tolerated. I did not hate the tobacco, I just was not impressed. I think next time I will either purchase Captain Black, or just plan my next tin purchase better.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: Fresh and moist

Purchased From: Big D Tobacco and Gifts

Similar Blends: Similar in quality to Captain Black.

Nathan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nathan (15)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I tried a pouch of this back in 2008. Pouch aroma was enticing. The tobacco was very dry. Taste was sub-par. The room note was quite pleasant. I ended up adding some cloves which helped improve the taste. I haven't purchased any since then. That is until today. My experience this time was quite different. Pouch aroma was still enticing. The tobacco had good moisture content this time around. The taste was actually pleasant. Decent tobacco notes with a slight sweetness. Room note was quite pleasant. It burned into a light grey ash and left only a slight amount of moisture in the bottom of the bowl. Maybe my first pouch years ago was stale or just plain junk. ? Some love this, some hate this. I would definitely purchase this again assuming the next pouch would be similar to this one. It's worth a try regardless, or even a second try.

Purchased From: Local smoke shop

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a blend that I pick up weekly in the pouch. Scandinavian Tobacco sends me weekly coupons for this for $1.00. So I tend to unpouch it and throw it in a bulk mason jar. I pull it out after a short sit and smoke it when I need something different. In short it is a mild smoke with little bite. I smoke it in a Dutch over size pipe. It burns well if not over packed. Taste is very mild. No tough bite to speak of and it last for an hour and a half. As for taste it is very mild. I never get any of the whiskey taste. Leaves a good room note. For a buck it's a keeper and stays in my rotation. I will say it does not get better if let sit to long. I have jars 2, 3, 4 and five years old. I say no more than a year. I blend the older stuff.

Pipe Used: Dutch mag.

Age When Smoked: Pouch

Purchased From: TRO Tobacco

NHPro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NHPro (4)

First smoke, descent, good room note, burns all the way down. No bite but just not my kind of tobacco. It doesn't have much flavor at all. I enjoy Carter Hall more, and will return to its mild taste again. I will try a few more bowls of BRBW and update my review later.

Okay, I've had more than enough bowls to know what I think about the "Riff" It's a good smoke, but nothing to write home about. Now I don't know how this blend was so popular in the 70's but it was.

Was the 70's blend different, because I don't taste anything!

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year?

Purchased From: Smoking Joe's

Similar Blends: I think this blend may be most like SWR..

mightysmurf8201 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mightysmurf8201 (20)
Mild Mild Very Mild Strong

Got this in a pipe tobacco of the month club offering from P&C. Smelled pretty good in the pouch. Moisture level in the pouch was just right. Packs and lights well. Burns just fine. Very little Bourbon flavor, but it is there. I don't like smoking this in my briars, as it makes them smell like cigarettes for a while after. Room note is mildly pleasant while smoking it, but if you smoke it inside, the room will smell like stale cigarettes a little while later and it takes awhile to get rid of. Not a terrible smoke, but with so many other options out there, I don't see myself smoking this again.

Pipe Used: Briars, cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh Pouch

Purchased From: P&C

Ghiltor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ghiltor (2)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I smoked two packages of this tobacco in a row this year. And I can say that, if you look for a tobacco which has a mild flavoring and taste, you had better to try this one.

Pipe Used: chacom, sahin and meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 0

Purchased From: Vienna/Austria, Tokyo/Japan

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Sweet burley, smokes very coolly. Aftertaste always gets me in these drug store baccys. Good price and I don't mind a bowl every now and them.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Mild Medium Mild Unnoticeable

WTF happened to this ? Its hot, bites badly, and has no burley in it ! When it was just burley and Virginia it was good, now it sucks !! This is bad, why did lane ruin this once good smoke ??? Don't waste your money !

Billbo777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billbo777 (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I Just started smoking a pipe 2 months ago. I've only had Captain Blacks Cavendish to date(being a newbie). I got this(Borkum Riff-Bourbon) and a new briar for Christmas. I love my new briar but am sorely displeased that I put this crap in my new briar as a first tobacco. It burned my tongue like I've never felt before and leaves the tip kinda numb for about 15 minutes after. It smells kinda like cat piss and smokes a little on the damp side. I deeply regret putting this crap in my new pipe. I can only hope that it doesn't linger. I'm no expert or old hat at this stuff and I still say "This stuff sucks butt" I will make sure it is not bought in this house again! One hard lesson learned and now it's time to get informed so I can put out 'brand' requests for next Christmas.

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

God. Awful. In just about every way. This tobacco will bite even the most experienced smoker. HARD. Absolutely zero nicotine content. Sickeningly sweet pouch-note. Tastes like old cigarette butts and makes the rest of the room you smoked in smell the same way! Avoid this blend at all costs! And if you happen to find yourself in the ownership of this blend, dispose of it immediately! You can thank me later.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (47)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Neptune's trousers! this stuff is God awful. If you took your ass and left it out in the hot summer sun for a week, this is what it would taste like. That's just the initial taste. The after taste is worse. It's a slowly dying taste of essence of sun soaked rotten ass and strong copper rod.

Bourbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bourbon (4)

I saw the "Bourbon Whiskey" and had to give it a try. No bourbon taste, no whiskey hint, no hint of anything really. Burns easy and fast, but I may of just got an old dry bag. Gave it to a friend, and he didn't care for it so much either. Kentucky gentleman from out local Straus tobacconist is much better, and actually has a pleasant hint of whiskey.

Raylon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raylon (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Has anyone ever used a mixture of Borkum Riff Whiskey and Old Drum by Grant's, a Tabacco store in San Francisco,Calif. ??

I smoked this blend 30 years ago and it was outstanding. My wife and anyone around me really enjoyed it. It had a light chocolate smell. I am starting the pipe again and wanted to see if anyone out there has heard or used on this mixture.

LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Personally, not a big fan, very dry and similar to a non-filtered Camel cigarette. This is the first "drugstore" brand in which i've not found one likeable quality. Pass on this one.

Yeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yeti (1)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

terrible. as others have said, i wanted to like it. it SMELLS great in the pouch. someone out there probably likes it, if they like the taste of wet, salted vegetables. it burned well though, but bites hard and stings the next day. hate it. every few weeks i mix it in with some cavendish, and ruin an otherwise good smoke (i still have no idea why).

dont buy it. it sucks.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)

I wanted to like this one.

The pouch aroma is great and the wife telIs me the room note is quite good. It lights easily and those first few puffs seem quite promising but it's all down hill from there. It quickly turns harsh and nasty. Cool-smoking? Exquisite taste? Dynamic? Lies! All Lies!

A good contender for a 'discreetly masculine' potpourri perhaps, but save your pipes and matches for better tobaccos.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)

I will bore you all with a quick story on this one. We take our summer holidays on the Costa Brava at a town called Estertit in the Catalonian area of Spain.

There is a lovely litle cigar shop there that sells Pipe Tobacco but not pipes. They obviously do not stock Gawiths Best Brown or Ennerdale Flake, I would not expect them to. But they allways have the good old European favourite St Bruno and at about four euros a go I buy a few packs and bring some back with me.However this time same shop, same girl serving, no St Bruno. I was right out at this point so I scanned the shelves.There were a lot of European blends that I know off but do not trust and a few of the Borkum Riff range.

When I first took up the art I used to have Riff Cherry Cavandish but quickly moved onto other things and have never looked back. I am also aware that Borkum Riff gets a right hammering on this site. I went for the Bourbon Whiskey thinking that this could be a bad holiday. I was pleasantly suprised, I was waiting for tounge bit that never came, I am not sure what Bourbon Whiskey tastes like but I could not taste whiskey of any kind in it. It is very heavily cased but smooth aromatic and has a very sweet chocolate taste. After a couple of bowels I was smokeing it without a second thought. I am actually smoking it now and I have got two packs in stock as it was so cheap.I proboly wouldnt buy it out of choice, I am virginia man myself but I would not dismiss it out of hand if you fancy an aromatic. If there are aromatic smokers who have not tried it yet, get you some at once!

moresco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moresco (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm beginning in this "science". So, I don't have patterns to compare w different tobaccos. But I can talk about the experience of smoking this one. It burns your tongue! The guy in the shop said that was a good tobacco to start. LIAR! Easy to pack, easy to light. Just it. I know how bourbon should taste, I didn't find this on BR Bourbon Whiskey. It doesn't let a good smell in the air too. So, I say: you may try it, but...

UPDATE: After trying better tobaccos, unfortunately I have to downgrade this one. I discovered that the tongue bite of this blend is way stronger than others (some just don't have it!). so, now I give it just one star.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

This is a different product from a year ago, drier and less aromatic, pouch aroma is alluring but faint. More of a light Danish topping rather than a heavy casing. Can't say it smells like Bourbon, a bit like Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, but much less pronounced and enjoyable. Somewhat dry in the pouch.

I tried it in different pipes including a cob, with the same result - heavy tongue bite.

Difficult to light, the smoke is dry and mild bodied. The pouch smell does not translate into the taste of the smoke, which is pleasant - more mild virginia and less sweet burly with a hint of chocolate. Actually quite nice. The side stream is mild and smells of tobacco, not any flavoring or casing. This could be a very enjoyable smoke if it did not bite.

Aftertaste is similar to smoking a mid grade cigar, the taste of tobacco and a tingling sensation in your mouth. But after the tobacco taste fads the tongue bite remains.

Another reviewer mentioned the Borkum Riff products are now make by McBaron (in the review for the BR "Natural"). Since I enjoy the Danish presentation (a light flavoring that burns off quickly leaving a clean tobacco taste in a dry smoke), I decided to try it.

For me, McBaron and Borkum Riff products bite while Peter Stokkebye is just fine. since I only smoke 1 or 2 pipes a day, this weed is not worth it, there are to many exemplary smokes on the market at the same price point. Pass on this one.

appy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
appy (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Call me a purest, but this is NOT the whiskey version I puffed on from days gone buy. An attorney pal o mine drags on this fodder without exception. Recently the blenders of this trash went retro with packaging. Back to the old black classic package. My ambulance chasing buddie insisted it try it. So I did. My God. Tongue bite, mold, no flavor what so ever. Refused to stay lit. And honestly smelled like burning sweaty socks. The only thing Im my mind that would be that foul. Home I went and dug through my stock. A while back I purchased a new pipe and was gifted with several pouches of tobacco. I found Dutch Masters whiskey that I hadent tryed yet. WOW.Upon opening the pouch I was hit in the scences with the aroma of the old Borkum Riff Whisky!!!!! The look, feel, aroma was as i remembered. Very wet in the poly pouch, I jarred this for a month. Im a cob I proceeded to fire up this weed. DAMN!!! This was exactly the BR of old. Strong, smokey, heavily scented. Another card game with my shyster cronie. He took a wiff of my exhaust fumes and immediatly begged for a sample. His reaction upon lighting up was almost orgasmic. He insisted I tell him what B and M shop i aquired the weed. I just chuckled and imformed him that this is a Dutch Masters whiskey blend, and that in fact this is what the old BR was like. Its a true shame thata so many good OTC bakkys had to change. To the younger pipers reading here,, give the Dutch Masters whiskey a shot. You will find a pleasent aromatic for those that like alcohol fueled blends. I am in hopes that the blenders or alchemists that blend the current BR read and take heed. Like so many reviews here state, to bad old classics have been ruined or no longer available. Happy puffing to all the fine ladies and gents here!!!!!

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This was the first Tobacco,I cut my proverbial-teeth on(30yrs ago)I took it for a spin,2mnths back...To see if it was as HOT+Mediocre as i remember....Indeed still"Poor"drugstore-tobacco!I would recommend it if;you have a Texas-Mickey of Whiskey to conquer over a long weekend(so you don't use up your good tobacco/and still have something to smoke) :-{

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (102)

Tried this some thirty five years ago, and once was enough. I'm not sure if I finished the pouch, I just remember a hint of cheap boubon on cavendish that burned on the hot side, judging by the reviews below, nothing has changed. How this could be recommended to new pipe smokers is beyond me.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)

Red Eye Whiskey, certainly not Jamesons 18! Young smokers beware, the bite you'll get from this may ruin your pipe smoking experience forever, it burns the tongue, gum's, palate, lips, need I say more? How can this abomination stay on the market? One word sums this up, GARBAGE!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

This stuff bit me so hard I thought I would have to get rabies shots. Different people have different tastes and you may love this stuff.

I won't throw this stuff away but I don't ever see myself smoking the rest of the pouch. Maybe if I was stranded on a rock in the middle of the ocean and couldn't even find any sea weed to dry out and smoke I'd try it again. Until that happens it's going in a jar to be sealed away in the closet.

FLChrisC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FLChrisC (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I recently picked up a pouch of this stuff from the local smoke shop. The owner himself said it was one of their best sellers. I have no idea why..The minute I opened the pouch, it reaked, somewhat like that of cigarettes (no offense intended, I jut absolutely hate cigarettes). I packed the bowl full using the Three- layer method. I just couldn't keep the stuff lit. After every couple draws, it would to out (I used 2 charring lights, an initial light and 2 tampings). It tasted very strong. The only thing that comes to mind would be cigarettes..again. Unless you're looking for a cigarette-like smoke in your pipe, stay away. I couldn't even taste or smell the "Bourbon Whiskey" supposedly infused within the tobacco. This deserves probably 1/2 a star, rather than a full star.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

all i can say is YUCK, terrible!!! I threw up after half the bowl, it hit my stomach and boom. very displeased. first it was to dry, then no flavor of any kind, and the tobacco flavor was sickening. after a day or so i tried another bowl, lightly packed, and i didn't upchuck but it was still the same nasty crap, it truly deserves one star mabey less!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (42)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Manyyears ago this was a classic. Now it is typical of drug store tabackey. It is not cheap and thre are plety of better offerings for much less. look to C&D or Lane. Just don't look for Borkum Riff. It is goopy, wet and vegital in taste by mid smoke. Too bad. A once fine blent destroyed.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (113)

Ah, memory lane... I see we have two Borkum Riff whiskey blends here on TR being reviewed. I suspected they were the same with pouch styles leading to confusion. I am not going to clear that possible state up in the least. And I am going against the flow of the earlier reviews here with my opinion. Two days ago, while refilling an Rx at local supermarket I wandered over to tobacco shelves as I waited. There rested a single, lone pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey in front of a full facing of BR Whiskey pouched as the image above. This lone pouch was in the familiar black and white with a red ribbon denoting "Whiskey". This was the package I was familiar with; I would never have bought the others. (Lesson for the power of visual branding in marketing). I bought it without hesitation despite panning reviews here. Back in 1970, when I once ran out of my #965 while on campus I went to local pharmacy to get something to smoke until I could get home to Tobak- Va Beach for 965 replenishment. BR was something new. I bought it. I smoked it. I liked it. (I know...heresy for an English fan). Later, upon return home I found this in a handsome tin and bought it as the trade-off smoke to my 965. I'm not sure why I quit it. Perhaps the Dunhill appealed more then, it certainly does now. Back to present day: I got home and grabbed my Kaywoodie billiard - a coincidence that this was the same pipe I used in college to smoke this. I lit up. Yuck. This couldn't be the same stuff I used to enjoy. Is everything "better in the past"? No, it was my pipe. After two bowls which gave me an astringent, chalky, almost bitey experience I set the pouch aside for storage and mentally prepared another panning review for my friends here. This afternoon, however, on a whim, I tried this in another pipe I keep for aromatics - a little used, but very clean, dry Brebbia and ...the pipe was the problem. This blend was as enjoyable for me, in small batches as I used to smoke it, as ever. Now, I wouldn't be buying more and I think there are both better and worse whiskeys available now, but I enjoyed it enough to (shock) rate it 3 stars

(and Kaywoodie is in dry dock)

NobleRot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobleRot (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I know BR products usually get ripped on reviews, even though most pipers enjoy some drugstore brands whether they admit it or not. My tobacconist carries a few blends and I picked one of the Bourbon Whiskey just on a whim. I was pleasantly surprised. I packed it tightly and it was low maintenance from there. Stayed lit for the whole bowl. I enjoyed the cool, easy smoke, no bite. The Bourbon flavor is evident, perhaps just north of a suggestion of flavor. For $4 or so, grab some. Wife liked the Room Note. My pouch was right on with moisture and did not leave my briar goopy at all.

Lii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lii (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

BR Bourbon with coffee in the morning is a great day starter.It does not bite, it is not goopy and it does have great Bourbon flavor if you just slow down. I will be happy with a tin of BRB and one of CBW to cover my daily "drugstore" blends.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)

Danish-made for Swedish Match. Well its a darn site better than the Cherry Liqueur! Giving BR a second chance I doled out the $60 for a 200 gram container (yes, $60!!!, Canadian Federal and Provincial Governments tax tobacco to death).

To me the raw aroma is that of a mild whiskey topping but the scent of pure tobacco is not completely erased. Once lit the room note is just slightly aromatic......not as pleasant as CB Royal, but nice enough not to get kicked out of the house.

It packs fine and lights easily and burns to a grey ash nearly all the way down. The last bit is just too moist to burn. The taste is typical BR which means I don't taste much of anything and if you push it a wee bit it will bite. The first half of the bowl is pleasant to smoke though but the last half seems to get a bit harsh for me and makes it unpleasant to continue. Lots of gurgle once you get past the first half bowl.

All in all its an OK tobacco in a small bowl but I'd rather spend my $$ on CB any day. I won't buy this again but that's just me.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco smelled nice in the pouch and upon lighting it smelled nice as well. There was a significant amount of mouth bite...yes my whole mouth stung. After the first minute this started to just taste badly...very chemical type of taste. It burned well, produced a good volume of smoke, but the taste and aroma were just too much for me and this found its way to the trash can after one bowl. My mouth stopped stinging after about ten minutes and now its just an unpleasant memory.

Dr. Tongue Bite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Tongue Bite (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been smoking this off and on since the 1990s. Mildly aromatic, but would not recommend for those who lean towards aromatic. It will bite and requires re-lighting often. Having said that; its the best smoke for me. Room note is OK, but thats not why I smoke a pipe anyway. Highly recommended as an everyday smoke. Although I like to try other tobaccos, I always come back to my Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)

In 1969 I tried my first pouch of Borkum Riff tobacco in a pouch that cost .35 cents for 2 and 1/2 ounces. I had a corn cob pipe (I was 14 years old). At the time, the mixture was very moist and well matured. I thought it was the greatest pipe tobacco I ever smoked. I nearly went through the whole pouch and often would spend evenings like Sherlock Holmes, piling large quantities of smoked portions on a table along with a gallon of iced tea to cool the tongue. I always considered this blend to be the "Marlboro" of the pipe tobacco industry. The mixture became very popular later much to my dismay because the quality began to decline in that the moisture content vanished, the quantity was reduced, the tin version discontinued, and the sudden propensity of different flavors led to diffuse enjoyment as the company ventured into Cherry blends, Congac, Champagne, Rum, etc. All for naught. However, the brand still is around and is popular to this day. I abandoned the brand long ago in favor of others and in the long run had stopped smoking for a period due to the ill health of one of my children. When I returned, Caesar Borgia was available and I thought it's amphora like qualities were a notch above returning to my old habits. There is no doubt that this is still a prince of tobaccos and you will find it a decent "everyday" blend.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)

When I was still a child (late 60s/early 70s) I remember my uncle smoking this blend. I would pick up his pouch and gawk at it cuz I thought it looked cool. He would snatch it from me before I spilled it or something. You always knew when uncle Pete was near- by cuz you would catch a whiff of that unmistakable BR bourbon aroma. When I was old enough I tried the pipe and this was the first tobacco I ever bought. Despite being green and sick for days I was determined to make the habit a part of my being.

This is not the best pipe mixture in the world but its not too bad either. Experience eventually leads you to far better tobaccos. But I do have a fondness for BR bourbon and simply cannot bad mouth it and I always keep a pouch of it with my stash.

Now that Swedish Match has come out with the 40 year anniversary pouch depicting the old school graphic I bought two pouches. I don't intend to smoke them, but keep them as they are cuz that graphic may never be seen again.

Arrostos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arrostos (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This one is a very expensive tobacco here in Greece (it costs 13 euros per pouch), so I usually order it from abroad. I have found it a very good choice thanks to its pleasant room note and its tender feeling (with a little bit burning) in mouth and nose. Maybe not the best one (because you sometimes find yourself being bored) but a nice one to put your trust in, when you do not have in the cupboard your perfect ones...

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

Update 03/09/2009

This tobacco is well suited for beginners that wish to upgrade the strength of their current tobaccos.

Original review - 03/31/2008

I admit I tried this tobacco again only when I heard that a new manufacturer from Denmark was producing it; my past interactions with BF bourbon were rather disastrous.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a more complex tobacco than used to be - the leaves range from golden brown to medium brown, combined with a fair amount of dark brown and black leaf. Of note, this mixture is not overwhelmed by the casing as it used to be with the previous manufacturer. It seems more, as Tantric pointed out, a topping now. The bourbon aroma is subtle and intermixed with distinct tobacco aroma.

The cut being was it is - the " Borkum Riff cut", almost a shag cut- it is easy to fill in , light and maintain with minimal attention. Both the tobacco and bourbon topping are present, the tongue bite is inexistant unless you push it, and it actually smokes dry all the way, for a change. I was satisfied with this tobacco, which obviuosly underwent a major upgrade in quality!

A very nice, welcomed change of pace: whenever I will crave a simple but good drugstore tobacco, I will reach for this one. Open the pouch, fill in your pipe, smoke. So simple! I appreciate simplicity every once in a while.

2.5 stars

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as Whiskey blends go this one is pretty decent. It is nice that it is available at the local grocery store here in my small town. Infact the Whiskey is the only blend of Borkum they carry.

Tell you the truth I am not sure why I only give it two stars perhaps because so much outshines it. Perhaps because it really gunks up the pipe. Whatever the reason I like this only as a rare smoke and it is unlikly to see its way into my rotation more than once or twice a year. My Personal notes rating is about 5.3 better than average but not worth getting to often.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tried this one years ago as I was always attracted to the aroma when a fellow piper was smoking it. I had to smoke it slowly as it burned hot and would most definitely bite if puffed too hard. None of that delectable room note was ever present for me as I smoked it, and its overall flavor was way too mild. I always enjoyed it when it was in someone elses pipe, but not when in mine. That translates to 2 stars for me.

UPDATE 7-18-12: Picked up a 200 gram tin from JR Tobacco last night and must say it was better tasting than remembered. Still a very beautiful room note. All in all, raising it a star to recommended.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was really disappointed with this one, i had great expectations as my father smoked this blend for several years and raved about it(whether or not the mixture has changed over the years i dont know) the tobacco and cut resmbled and smelled something of cigarette baccy and i couldnt detect the "bourbon" in pouch at all. It packed well and stayed lit, but it bured awfully hot and fats too. Once again i couldnt detect any bourbon topping, it was more of a vanilla, maybe a bit of maple? I think in a pinch id smoke it but if i had the choice id smoke something else.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)

As enjoyable as I can remember it. This tobacco just seems to get better and better. On the recommendations on here I tried this for the first time and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Actually, I have changed my mind....I'm sure the tobacco has changed over the last couple of years, it's shit.

stevo192 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stevo192 (2)

I first tried this tobacco around a month and a half ago. I bought a 50g pouch from my local tobacconist just to try really. I like whiskey so I thought 'Hey, I'll give it a go!'. However, when I got home, I loaded one of my pipes with it and off I went. I really did not like it. I thought it simply tasted like a very cheap VA with very little (if any!) whiskey flavour to it.

One and a half months later, I found it in my tobacco drawer and decided to give it another go. This time, I found it to be rather more pleasant. It tasted smooth and light and I even tasted a hint of whiskey! The burley and virginia are without doubt the strongest flavours in this tobacco but around half way through the bowl, I started to get some of the other cavendish flavours coming through.

All in all, not too bad a tobacco after all. It will no doubt be smoked more often just as a light aromatic when I am in the mood for that kind of thing, but I really would have liked to have tasted a little more whiskey. I find Peterson's Irish Whiskey to be generally better in terms of the whiskey flavour and general taste so I will probably stick with that!

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)

This isn't a bad tasting tobacco. It's casing is worthwhile and the tobacco they use isn't a bad quality for the money. It tastes pretty good smoked slowly but don't expect any 'woohooing' going on. I don't want to turn anyone away from it however and I do enjoy it with whiskey flavoured coffee in the afternoon or out on the porch. It's room note is quite nice, similar to a sweet whiskey that's sat in an open barrel for a couple days and allowed to evaporate until only sugar remained. If you want a pleasant smoke for peanuts then pick up a pack from your drug store. You may or may not pick up another. I do recommend it though and it's quality isn't too bad. It gets a little better with age and I do recommend for you to keep it's moisture content high or higher then as it comes as. Not a badly cased tobacco in my opinion.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was a bit of a surprise for me. I was expecting the cheap, stale taste of Capt. Black, and the other similar crap cavandish...But this, which I bought in the pouch, is a very decent drug store blend that is worth picking up on a whim. The tobacco is in a cut similar to shag rolling tobacco, and in the my pouch, I found the moisture to be prefect...the pouch aroma is great, as well as the scrumtious smoke that even anti-smoking cry babies will adore. This did smoke rather quickly, yet cool and even. It satisfied desire for nicotine, but still I would rather see more kick to this blend, but on the stronger side of the drug-store variety. This, Im sure, will battle many times with Half & half for my attention, which is my other favorite cheap tobak...Oh! and I heard a rumor that Stephen King likes this blend...but who knows.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I smoked this on a regular basis for about two yrs. It was before I found tobacco reviews com.Ilike it and always keep some around.Every so often I have a bowl for something differant and it still taste good.I will add there are much better tobacs around but i can pick this up any time. Not a bad smoke for the money.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Initially it should be separated in two categories: The [German-Swedish manufacture and B: The Danish manufacture. Anyway, it is from the most commercial signs in the whole world. However, choice B is a lot better, with better tobacco, stronger and more tasteful, the Bourbon. Constantly fresh even after you open it, which leads you to the conclusion that an artificial stuff has been used. It is one of the first good tobaccos that we smoked -full of pride- in my country and we have tried hard to find it. For this reason, I will give him 2 stars.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad for a drugstore tobacco. I buy this if im in a jam and have no other choice.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't know what it is about this tobacco but I really enjoy smoking it and crave it when I'm out of it. Maybe it's because of my Swedish heritage but I have a soft spot in my heart for BR. I live in a small town and the only pipe tobaccos you can get here are the old school over the counter, drugstore brands. BR being one of them. This is a pleasant tasting blend, very mellow and I love the aroma. My only question is, why do they call this bourbon whiskey? I drink bourbon quite often and the smell and taste of this tobacco isn't that of bourbon. Actually I'm not quite sure what to call it but I do like it. I find that it has a nice sweet, rich taste but tends to get a little strong mid bowl. If you're a fan of aromatics I think you might enjoy smoking this. Give it a shot.