Selected quality, bright aromatic Virginia and rich, cool-smoking Burly tobaccos are blended to give an exquisite taste and aroma, enhanced by the finest Kentucky Bourbon whiskey traditionally matured for over eight years to develop its full complex flavour. Serious yet dynamic, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey has a unique, captivating taste and aroma. Infused with eight-year old Kentucky Bourbon, it combines the natural flavour of the tobacco with a distinctive aroma that is both traditional and discreetly masculine.

BrandBorkum Riff

1.8
jhan42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhan42 (1)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I did not like this at first, in fact I hated it and found myself wishing I had not thrown away thirty Canadian dollars on this crap. That's right thirty and change for this, and pretty much any "cheap" tobacco, in the true north and not at all free.

However, after cleaning my pipe with rum and letting it dry out (the pipe and the tobacco) for a couple of weeks this tobacco has done a 180 and is actually quite good. I have also tried it in a barely used pipe and it has worked really well in that too. THe taste is decent, it creates a lot of smoke which I like but it burns too fast although it does burn fairly clean with little tongue bite. I would likely buy it again.

Cheers

Sciz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sciz (2)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

NEW update: as my pipe smoking skill gets better...i found a way to reduce the unforgiving tongue bite from this blend. we only need to puff it VERY LIGHTLY, just like taking a sip from a drink. but what really ticks me off is the CONSTANT RELIGHTING!! if u tried to make the amber stays lit, you'll turn your pipe into a furnace and the gurgling will start and everything will be nothing but unpleasantness.

i only keep puffing this blend just to get more the feel on pipe smoking, but after i finish the pack, i'm sure that i will not buy this blend ever again.

=================================================================

OLD review: i started off in this wonderful hobby with a wrong tobacco! the reason i bought it bcoz i didn't read the reviews in here before and i was attracted to its smell in the package! but the smoke was nothing like a the unburned one!! my impressions about this particular blend: 1. IT BITES!! 2. almost no taste (mostly due to no.1) 3. constant relighting 4. not a good choice for a newbie (like me) 5. it's not from a good tobacco

u might wanna argue on the last point for a newbie to put a bold statement like that. i know what a good tobacco bcoz i was a hardcore Djarum cigarettes smoker. when i torn 2 Djarum cigs and loaded it into my pipe, the smoking experience was like heaven and earth compared to this blend.

i know that taste is just a matter of preference, but it's definitely not for me...and i'd recommend new pipe smoker to steer off from it.

for those who likes it, i'm happy for you. happy puffing!

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a taste of this concoction about a week ago; it was a complete desaster.

I felt I was being overly harsh, having had bad experiences with Swedish Match's other blends under the same brand, so I gave it another try.

Unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that I had not been overly harsh. This blend fills easily enough, lights readily, and from that point on, you're on your own. The taste is of... I don't know; to me, it tastes lightly of tar and something sweetish that would probably do better in a cigarette blend; the aroma is not really something I normally associate with pipe tobacco, and even if generous, I cannot say that smoking BRBW gave me any pleasure.

I miss any hint of Bourbon in either taste or aroma, the stuff is quite expensive (especially for a brand which is notoriously positioned on the cheaper end of the price scale where I am), and for the same price, I can get really good tobacco which does not need any flavouring to taste of something. 'nuff said before I go overboard.

Blade One Star Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blade One Star (9)

I tried this a long time ago and I remembered that it wasn't anything special, but I got suckered into buying another pouch just recently because of the whiskey flavoring. Once again I wasn't impressed. I can't taste the whiskey and it tends to bite the tongue. This coupled with the high price makes me recommend that you pass on this tobacco.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

I've smoked this in early 90's, before I found out that the tobacco world in fact is a big one.

It's a mild boring aromatic tobacco. I'll smoke it again maybe in my next life just before discovering the real tobacco world!

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (5)

I smoked this in the 1970's. Something changed and it turned to garbage in my opinion. So I dropped it. Back in the 1970's, it was both mine and my grandfather's favorite smoke. Today i bought a new pouch of Bourbon Whiskey mixture. Package is not the black and white but the new brown and beige color. It says Scandinavian Tobacco Group. This stuff changed back and it tastes like it did in the 1970's. It is smooth, great taste - not too overpowering, not too mild. Just a bit of the whiskey and a great flavor. Not too sweet, not sticky and goopy. I'm buying it up before another MBA genius thinks it's a good idea to ruin the taste in order to increase profits. hehehe. Buy some - it is very pleasant.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well well well this has been bashed to bits hasnt it.

This will probably make the snobbier part of our community scream why (and i dont particularly care) but im going to defend it. I just recieved a package of this and being a fan of whiskey tobaccos i was highly looking foreward to this and borkum riff bourbon whiskey didnt dissapoint. The smell on opening the pouch reminded me very much of kendal whisky tobacco. Moisture content is perfect and packing is done with the utmost ease. Now lighting up the flavours where delicious again reminding me very much of kendal whisky and i waited for the reported tongue bit and it never came. And i didnt even smoke particulalry slow. The flavours of this tobacco stayed throughout the smoke and there was also very nice tastes of actual tobacco and a good nicotine content( which i find devoid in american style aros and after finishing a bowl of these although enjoyable i find myself craving a cig for the nicotine).

To some up though i do realise people will of tried of this tobacco and they genuinely didnt it. But i also realise that they will probably be people out there who have jumped on a band wagon just to bash something and if that is the case. Then i find these particular people sad as it is these kinds of people that can put people off trying a tobacco that they might actually enjoy.

I know i really enjoyed this tobacco and it has gained a solid four stars from me.

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

Ahh, Borkum Riff.

I'm old enough to actually remember when this tobacco was introduced to the US market and, oh boy, was it the whip! It quickly developed a very loyal following and I know men who have been smoking this tobcco since 1968 and will not budge from it.

It won't kill you to smoke this blend and it does have a very distinctive room note (you can immediately tell if a pipe smoker is puffing Borkum Riff) which is not unpleasant. There is absolutely no flavour of eight year-old Kentucky Bourbon whiskey at all; you're going to have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey to get that. This tobacco simply has no discernable taste. As other reviewers have also cautioned, you need to smoke this blend slowly to avoid t/b. Don't smoke this blend in your best pipes either.

Over the years, as tobacco blenders became more skillful and varied, more sophisticated blends began to proliferate in the marketplace. This reduced Borkum Riff to a common "drugstore" status in the pipe tobacco world but, as we all know, smokers of drugstore blends can be militantly loyal.

"Borkum Riff"? I don't know how that translates in English, if at all. "Bore'em Stiff" maybe? Smoke half a pouch and you'll probably throw the rest away.

hubup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubup (9)

Not a real bourbon flavour. Try smoking as cool as possible if you can manage to smoke it. Heats up quickly but leaves a good taste on the tongue if you can smoke cooler.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The pack tells me this is made from 35% Black Cavendish and 65% Virginian tobacco,and I really can't understand the negative comments. Nor can I understand those who say there is no whiskey taste, because there is. There was some bite at first but the smoke soon became mellow though full of taste and I enjoyed smoking this tobacco. So much so that I will be ordering another pouch with my next tobacco order. I don't think there's much of a room note which is why I've rated the after smell as Very Pleasant. It smoked really well with a cup of coffee and left me with a pleasing taste in my mouth.Good stuff.

Peter Zorg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Zorg (34)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

This tobacco is another mild boring aromatic. I bought a 5 pouch pack in duty free, and still have 3 pouches remaining. The kind of tobacco I will have completely forgotten in one year from now. That's why I hurry for this review !!

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Scandinavian Tobacco Group (ST Group) has made an outstanding effort to stick, as much as possible, to the original recipes of the tobaccos it has been acquiring over the last 3-4 years or so. it is curently manufacturing tobaccos such as Captain Black, Borkum Riff, Erinmore, Amphora and Sail, among many others. Their version of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey, I must admit, worried me seriously at first, for it seemed it was a return at the original formula that I did not like. The pouch aroma was overwhelming with the bourbon smell and the composition was different than the one advertised on this page: 35% of Black CA and 65% of VAs. No trace of the BUs mentionned in the composition of the blend on this page. Ah, I get it; swedish match is not the manufacturer anymore...;-) Anyway. Surprisingly, STG managed to come up with a blend that is fairly balanced, smooth and does taste big time of bourbon whiskey. Despite the low level of nicotine, it is still an enjoyable mixture that burns smoothly and does not bite. I think I enjoy it most in a Corn Cob.

Kevinalban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevinalban (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

The only tobacco Ive ever really hated. The only pouch Ive ever thrown away. The only tongue bite Ive ever had. Only bought it because it was my grandfathers smoke of choice, and wanted some kind of cosmic connection to a man who passed a few years ago. I guess Im gonna take up fly fishing, because this wasnt what I had in mind.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable

I found this blend spicy and aromatic but I could not detect the Bourbon Whiskey. My strongest memory of it is the lingering aftertaste, which reminded me of premium cigars. So, I could recommend this blend to cigar smokers and I might give it a second chance myself - if I ever miss that odd aroma.

earl_of_cumberland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
earl_of_cumberland (5)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Bought this when I was out of tobacco... I wish I hadn't. Tasted awfull and I gave up trying to like it and ended up giving it away.

I recommend you to try this first before buying it and se if it is to your taste.

Oh and the Bourbon taste? Naaa no Bourbon just a wierd taste to the tobacco.

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Strong

Bites like a injured pitbull with rabies! Have not found a way to help this blend at all. Only way I will ever burn this again is in the fireplace and hope it don't offend the neighbors. Minus 4 stars! So dry out of the pouch that it almost floats. Would not feed it to a horse or a wild goat for that matter. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about this blend.

Modulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Modulus (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

I'm very new to this hobby, and I don't have a lot to compare this to, but I'll do my best.

I wasn't terribly impressed with Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Seems to me first of all that the flavoring was caked on pretty thick. It almost seemed like a sort of syrup had been applied to this tobacco. It wasn't overly stick or anything, just had a slightly unnatural quality to it that indicated to me at least that someone had added something to this blend late in the manufacturing process. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at some point this tobacco was on a conveyor belt - under spray nozzles.

My wife puts hides her nose behind her shirt while I smoke this, so I'm going to assume the room note is not very good. In my limited experience, once I begin smoking, it's difficult to get an idea of the room note... Either due to inexperience or because my senses are deadened after taking it into my mouth. The rating system here does not allow you to indicate a tolerable yet unpleasant note. Only it's intensity, not it's actual appeal as a scent. Someone should revise the rating system.

This blend bit my tongue quite a lot... it burned hot for me. I'm a novice however and probably have a tendency to draw all of the tobaccos I try a little too frequently in an effort to keep the bowl lit.

There's got to be better tobacco's out there... Don't bother unless you're really curious or want to try it to just get it out of the way.

erkantural Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erkantural (5)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

First of all it triggers strong chemical reactions in the mouth. Not a good one.

One day i started to feel really pleasant taste, while having cool burn with small sips. However, just after that it kicked my mouth and that sweet taste never came back again from this blend.

The bad thing is, I still have more than half a kilogram of this. Probably I am not going to open the boxes(!) for years. Then we'll see.

Pipe Used: Sahin Briar and Missouri Corn Cobs

Purchased From: Istanbul

Setherd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Setherd (1)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just a plain drugstore variety. I got a coupon in the mail to try this for a dollar so i did. It wasn't that bad but there was really nothing good about it. Lots of tongue bite. The smell was somewhat pleasant and the flavor was bland. I had the hardest time keeping it lit however. I smoked 3 bowls, I packed one my regular way, one very lightly and for the last I really jammed the tobacco in tight. Surprisingly that last bowl stayed lit the best. Bottom line.... Don't get it.

Pipe Used: MM corn cob

Age When Smoked: straight from the store

Purchased From: CVS drugstore

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (40)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Ok, 1st I open the package I can smell a thin bourbon scent but when I smell the tobaccos, it smells just like a ordinary cigarrete ! This blend is totally bad, give me a tongue bite for many days, and when I try to smoke it again, my lips is very hurt and my tongue gets bleeding. Is easy to pack and 1st draw is still good but nothings specials. It taste just like an ordinary cigarrete. I got this blend for my friend, he give me a package and ask me to try it. But the good news is this bacchy is very good when I mix it with my local Indonesian tobaccos. Give a new color and taste because of it's bourbon scent. Perhaps I needs lot of alcohol drinks to enjoy this bacchy by it own.

ignotus93 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ignotus93 (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first tobacco. I really hate it. I can't taste the whiskey. I smoked a full pouch, it was a true misery to my tongue.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I gotta say I think this blend has gotten a little bit of a bad rap. Other reviews have mentioned tastes like tar and other off flavors. I certainly did not find these flavors, but that's the point. I did not find any flavor at all.

The packaging is so very elegant, the pouch aroma is nice, the room aroma is nice. The cut is just grand, and the moisture content is perfect. The only thing this blend is missing is taste. A little taste and this stuff would not be that bad.

Bourbon is not a very subtle flavor. If something is flavored with bourbon, it should be relatively easy to pick out. I taste absolutely nothing here. Not bourbon, not nothin. This stuff should be title "Borkum Riff Bland Steam" That would be an accurate name.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. This is by no means disgusting, and may be just what you are looking for, but for most of us, it caused us to just keep looking.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Billiard

Age When Smoked: purchased 2011

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (36)

So, a one star for me says at least that the entire pouch was smoked. There have been a few that didn't get reviewed because I simply could not persevere in the smoke. This one smokes like a VA and I detected no burley flavor (because I'm pretty sure that the burley is the cavendish component.) There are some nice flavors in this one, but it can bite and burn hot. I respect skandanavik for their more discreet use of toppings. The bourbon is mildly detectible in the smoke. Not recommended but finishable.

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

You can only smell the whiskey, just only at opening pouch. Then nothing about whiskey. After that it is just a Virginia-Burley which you can find everywhere. Smoke it slowly, unless you want a tongue bite. I would rate it one and a half star , but i can't.

And also i don't like bourbon, i prefer scotch.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Flavorless, heated smoke. Packs well, burns well, burns quickly but who cares? If it isn't a good smoke then the rest is unimportant. There can be a bite. Even at the drugstore price this stuff simply is not worth it.

FinSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FinSmoker (2)
Overwhelming Strong Full Extra Strong

Bitter and untasty, Smokes like a pyre. Extremely unpleasant with no bourbon taste at all. If mixing some bourbon into this blend wont change or mellow the taste at all Im throwing this shit away

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

For me my oppinion, is only a very regular, common, Virginia-Burley Blend. Somewhat bitter taste and also slight large in Nicotine than desired and tendence to give Tongue Bite, and very dry. Not bad, but not remarkable also very similar to cigarrete tobacco. .

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a pouch of this as a gift and was looking forward to giving it a try up on opening I can not detect any whiskey at all might just be me but I can not smell it at all.Up on smoking it tasted like a pair of old sweaty socks and it bites like a hungry crocodile not for me this one :(

irishjedi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishjedi (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Seems like nothing but pure tongue bite. Definately not a fan, and I probably would not recommend this to highly. .02.

Mike

DennisBrain1921 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DennisBrain1921 (2)

I first smoked this blend in Savinelli Oscar Elite, which is a giant size bowl. When smoked slowly I found the blend quite pleasant with very little to no tongue bite. As for the Bourbon, I could really only pick this up when smelling the pouch. But I will try again. The room note is pleasant enough. This is an ok aromatic blend, though far from spectacular.

hypr-aktiv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hypr-aktiv (6)
Very Mild Extra Strong Medium Strong

horrible taste, really bad bite, sucks. Avoid this one.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Starts great and goes downhill from there. I had fairly high hopes for this; having developed a taste for aromatics over this beautiful warm summer. I was especially hopeful when I read the pouch and saw the surprisingly high Virginia content. When I got about halfway through the bowl though, my tongue was no longer hopeful.

Parcarat Parcor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Parcarat Parcor (2)

I bought a pack and decided to smoke some. Like many have said it has no taste of either bourbon or whiskey but it has some taste to it. The scent it gives of when you smoke it is really good in my opinion. I really can't imagine people complaining about the room note, but know that the taste isn't as pleasant. You can get TB from this smoke but to get around it you simply don't take to heavy drags, not that hard to get around. I need to relight this a few times when I smoke it. Perhaps I'm a bad smoker but it just doesn't keep lit in the pipe. I think it would be a much better smoke if they had more of a tobacco flavor to it, it is somewhat mild for me. The fact that is has no distinct taste probably make it a good morning smoke after breakfast or with a cup of coffee. You don't want to have this as your main stock but it is both affordable and decent enough for you for a quick smoke IMO.

I really can't see people who bash this tobacco as hard as they do, it isn't a top notch tobacco and is a fairly cheap one. You really can't expect too much of such a product! It isn't as terrible as some say but I would not recommend you to smoke it in a designated pipe. It is a casual smoke now and then and should be take for what it is. It leave a nice aftertaste in the mouth that last for a ½ hour or so.

Don't get me wrong when you read this, you really shouldn't go out looking for it but if you come across it give it a try. Just don't expect to much from it.

robvolume Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robvolume (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A decent smoke for the price. It never seems to burn well, even in my well-seasoned pipes. The taste is a little harsh. I can not taste any notes of bourbon whiskey, but there is another unpleasant taste that I can't put my finger on.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I think the room note of this blend is one of the best ever. However the taste never fulfilled me no matter how many times I have tried it. I don't like it's fine ribbon cut and my tongue always was raw afterwards, most likely drawing too hard trying for a n boost I never got. I have tried all the BR blends as I used to work for US Tobacco back when they had the US rights to sell it and I had all I wanted free but instead at that time smoked Amphora Brown. This always sold well and many a new smoker cut his teeth on it.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad, I think their quality control has improved since I last tried this stuff. Borkum Riff is not something I would go out of my way to smoke or even buy large quantities, but not bad for now and then. The flavoring is pretty strong but not overwheelming and the nicotine content is high, so it is probably the good slap we need some mornings.

An ok OTC smoke. I'll smoke it in a pinch.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (77)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

This just might be the absolute worst tobacco I have ever tasted.

I am amazed that this is even on the market, let alone so commonly available in seemingly every drug store and smoke shop in America.

One should have to search hard and wide for a tobacco this bad. One should have to work at it. It should be a challenge of sorts - a quest.

Instead, every year new pipe smokers stumble onto this tobacco and give up the pipe shortly thereafter.

We should start some type of petition to get this tobacco taken off the market.

And we should take up a collection to send some decent tobacco to those fond of this vile mess.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (107)
Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

"A unique, captivating taste and aroma," eh? I've tried – God knows I've tried – to find a Borkum Riff tobacco that isn't horrible. I keep trying out of a sort of sense of justice: I feel that I need to give these people another chance to redeem themselves. But still no joy. Bourbon Whiskey is dreadful: burns hot, wet and erratically, and has a cloying, chemical taste that defies description. It actually made me feel ill. It's strongish in nicotine terms, but it just isn't like smoking tobacco. The casing is very heavy, and if it's Kentucky Bourbon, I'm a boiled monkey.

I can't imagine what mass market sustains the production of terrible stuff like this. Are the Borkum Riff people involved in some international conspiracy to stop people smoking? I can't think of any other reason why a company should produce a range of such utterly awful tobaccos. Then again, people buy 'em. Maybe it's just me.

So: unspeakably bad. The only thing to be said for Bourbon Whiskey is that it isn't as comprehensively awful as Cherry Liqueur!

larrjlion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
larrjlion (3)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Nothing but tongue bite so I couldn't taste a thing. Burns hot all the way through. Expensive especially in Massachusetts. After 5 bowls I gave it to a friend to roll it in her ciggaretts.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Purchased From: Rite Aid

oldcodger (14)

I have always preferred the aroma of someone else smoking this tobacco to the experience of smoking it myself. Although there are dissenters, most find the room note of Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey pleasant. As of the date of this review it is listed on this board both as "whiskey" and "bourbon whiskey" with about the same number of reviewers under each rubric. Since its introduction in the mid 1960's (if memory serves me correctly it was not until 1968 that it was imported to the US) this has been a good selling and widely available blend. Nevertheless, reviewers on this board have been largely negative, with more "not recommended" ratings than any other.

The current pouch identifies the contents as 35% black cavendish (burley?) and 65% Virginia. Smoked carelessly, it will bite like a constipated badger. Smoked carefully, it is still bite prone for smokers with sensitive tongues. Personally, with a relaxed puffing cadence, and remembering to hold the pipe in my hand and not clench it in my teeth, I can smoke it without biting.

The pouch aroma is somewhat mild for an aromatic. So too is the taste, a taste which I find pleasant, although not something to write home about. I doubt seriously that I could identify the taste as bourbon in a blind test.

I normally have about five tins or pouches open at one time. On the fairly infrequent times that I have Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey as one of these, I smoke it as often as the other blends open. When I do not like a tobacco, I cut it with something else. I have yet to find one that I cannot finish even if my cutting may create something far different from the original. (In over five decades, I have smoked well over 500 different tobaccos.) But I have never been tempted to cut Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Bottom line: for me, this is a two star, "somewhat recommended" blend, but a two star rating given with a caveat for pipe smokers easily susceptible to tongue bite.

Marlowe2nd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marlowe2nd (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Just received a pouch. It's not that bad. It lights ok, and if smoked slowly it stays lit and doesn't bite. Just take your time; treat it as if it were heavy on the Latakia.

Pipe Used: Peterson and Carey.

Age When Smoked: 1 week

hatNpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hatNpipe (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I live in a country where pipe tobacco is hard to come by, and this was one of the few varieties available at the local tobacco purveyor.

I decided to try it out, and in my first pipe I was surprised by its bite and the speec of its combustion. The smell, while pleasant in hints, could be quite overwhelming when the smoke was too dense.

For my next pipe I decided to prepare myself better. I loaded the pipe and poured myself a whiskey (all I had was a Bushmill's malt, but it would do). This time around the experience was much more enjoyable. The flavour of the smoke and the liquid blended nicely, and the slightly denser packing that I used made it burn slower. Unfortunately I soon ran out of whiskey, and soon afterwards the bite again made an appearance.

It is not the best of blends, but in the right conditions it can provide a solid half our of enjoyment. I would recommend it to gentlemen who do not much mind the bite, and enjoy a good glass of bourbon (or equivalent) to go with their tobacco.

tados Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tados (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

An nasty tong bite could occur, but as my first tobacco, I feel like this is kind of great, it burns really hot. Don't let this tobacco dry a least, it'LL take fire in your pipe and trust me that's not what you want.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Another crap blend.

Burns way to hot, bites like a Viper, tastes like chemicals, and coated my mouth with Lord knows.

Picked it up at a gas station en route camping, forgot my baccy at home. After we pitched the tent and built a nice fire I grabbed a pipe from the tool-box. I Made it through half a bowl, dumped it and the remained of the pouch on the fire.

I'd rather go without than suffer through this torture.

brainitch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brainitch (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

So, I was waiting for an order of decent tobacco, when I decided to try this from the local Wal-Greens. It coated my mouth, tongue and teeth with a thick paste of the chemical-nasty. However, I was Vitamin-N deficient so, I kept at it...(le-sigh) Every part of me screamed! "Dump this pipe load on a steamy dog turd!" On the third re-light, I noticed the bite. There is a tiny window of smoke-ability between tongue-bite puffing pace and cherry-go-out pace. I mean small. Also, the Walgreen'ss where I actually paid money to be orally assaulted charged me like $9.00 US for this 50g bag of Whiskey flavored "joy". Which, incidentally, Only barely the fake whiskey stink is barely tolerable from the pouch when loading the pipe and lends an air of morning after gutter-vomit to the room-note. If you're thinking of trying this the next time you run out of the "good-stuff" ...Don't!

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (21)
Strong Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

This is the only whiskey flavored tobacco I have ever tried and it is a disgusting abomination. Be prepared to salt your pipe or if you have the spare cash for a new pipe, bury it at least 10 feet underground so the fumes dont waft out of its grave.

I may be unfair to whiskey tobaccos as this is Borkum after all. Although the flavor is akin to a mix of vomit and petrol it is the only Borkum with any noticeable flavor at all apart from the cherry cavendish, which is the only Borkum I would recommend.

For a similar but far more mild and pleasant experience, it would be far better to spend the money on a bottle of cheapest, nastiest whiskey, give it to a bum, wait for him to vomit and subsequently deeply inhale said bum's breath.

The absolute worst tobacco in the world, even for Borkum. Recommend it to a pipe smoker you despise.

dtcb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dtcb (13)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Can't recommend this blend.

got it out of desperation at duty free while rushing to catch a plane and was out of tobacco. smoked 2 pouches (50g each) worth out of a box of 5 pouches and they last three are hideous spectres that lurk in my pipe drawer.

casing is with the pouch when opened but slowly dissapates a reveals a bit of a chemical scent lingering beneath. I tried blending it with a straight viginia to see if it would add substance to it when I returned home but all it did was detract from the virginia I blended.

It is easy to pack with out much notion and stays lit but overall flavour for me is not there. I've had too many better tobaccos to ever want this in the rotation. To be honest I wouldn't give it to a beginner and I get way better room note compliments on stanwell melange or hearth and home marble kake (or any standard vanilla for that matter).

Billbo777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Billbo777 (1)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I Just started smoking a pipe 2 months ago. I've only had Captain Blacks Cavendish to date(being a newbie). I got this(Borkum Riff-Bourbon) and a new briar for Christmas. I love my new briar but am sorely displeased that I put this crap in my new briar as a first tobacco. It burned my tongue like I've never felt before and leaves the tip kinda numb for about 15 minutes after. It smells kinda like cat piss and smokes a little on the damp side. I deeply regret putting this crap in my new pipe. I can only hope that it doesn't linger. I'm no expert or old hat at this stuff and I still say "This stuff sucks butt" I will make sure it is not bought in this house again! One hard lesson learned and now it's time to get informed so I can put out 'brand' requests for next Christmas.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I give this four stars based upon that growing u as a boy about 11 this was favorite blend. It seemed so rich. the aroma was wonderful. Priced at about 69 cents more then a pack of smokes at that time. I have tried it ver recently and found that alothough it may not be up the the connoisuer level we are all up to today. It is still a good smoke. Smoked ever so slow the favor comes out. So enjoy it while we are all able to still buy tobacco. pretty soon it will all be but a memory. REDD

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Extremely Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

God. Awful. In just about every way. This tobacco will bite even the most experienced smoker. HARD. Absolutely zero nicotine content. Sickeningly sweet pouch-note. Tastes like old cigarette butts and makes the rest of the room you smoked in smell the same way! Avoid this blend at all costs! And if you happen to find yourself in the ownership of this blend, dispose of it immediately! You can thank me later.

adkboater Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adkboater (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have been somking a pipe on and off for 37 years (I started in high school) and have tried a multitude of tobacco brands over the years, but this stuff (I'm thinking of another word...) is the poster child for horrible! I bought a can of this in 1974 for around seven bucks, tried it twice and promptly sealed the can. I threw away the can a few years ago when I was going through old stuff. I should have learned my lesson then, but in my nostalgic middle age, I picked up a pouch of this the other day when I ran out of my usual fave (Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake). I was hoping over the years that it was just my youthful inexperience that was to blame for absolutly hating this stuff, but I was right even then. This is horrible from the get-go! The pouch aroma is pleasant enough, but that's where the party ends. The smoking is harsh to say the least and bite is worse than many of Balkans out there. I found NO Bourbon flavor or aroma in this, so... I added a quarter ounce of Evan Williams Bourbon to the pouch and let it set for a week. After I aired it for a few hours, I loaded my pipe and I fired up this Frankenstein blend and was pleasantly surprised! The addition of real bourbon mellowing tamed the beast here and was quite enjoyable. I still think that 2 stars is pushung this a bit much, but the experiment changed the entire make-up of the tobacco.

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (25)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

My first BR tobaccos were this and Cherry Liqueur (reviewed separately). I'd read that it smokes fairly hot, so I let it out to dry for 2 days. The pouch scent was really faint and not really pleasant. It didn't bite too much. It required a few relights. It tasted worse than the worst cigarettes. I couldn't detect any whiskey. It was not cheap ($10). Thankfully, it did not mess up my pipe. Other otc brands are better. Most online-ordered brands are certainly better. Bad quality and bad price, there's no way I can recommend this.

Kokinhenik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kokinhenik (39)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Neptune's trousers! this stuff is God awful. If you took your ass and left it out in the hot summer sun for a week, this is what it would taste like. That's just the initial taste. The after taste is worse. It's a slowly dying taste of essence of sun soaked rotten ass and strong copper rod.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

On the upside this tobacco is easy to find and not too expensive. It also smells pretty good in the pouch. Not great, just pretty good. You really should just sniff it in the pouch cause its all downhill after lighting. The stuff stinks, is harsh, tastes like old, partially smoked cigarettes. Horrible stuff. Does a good job of burning all the way down and requires no relights. The taste is so very strong that it is damn near impossible to blend with something to smooth it out. If this were the only pipe tobacco available left on the planet, I would quit smoking. Just isn't worth your time or money.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

The pouch aroma is like raisins, chewable vitamins, bran muffins and graham crackers. No real evidence of bourbon. Definitely artificial in character, but there is an underlying scent of stale burley tobacco.

Fine ribbon-cut packs OK, lights well.

Starts out bland but not off-putting. Notes of cigarette, trash fire and mouth-coating chemical flavors creep in and take over. Tobacco flavors are uninteresting at best. Bitter vegetal, and unpleasant anise/clove-like flavors come in halfway through the bowl. Second half of the bowl is harsher and soapy. Seems to me a complete waste of time and money. To paraphrase Monty Python - This is not a tobacco for smoking, it's a tobacco for laying down and avoiding.

As Fubber put it in his review - Just don't!

However, good or bad, life's too short for drugstore tobacco. Support your local (or online) tobacconist, and do yourself a favor.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

[Note: This is the same Borkum Riff tobacco as that listed as "Whiskey."]

In the pouch, this long, fine-cut ribbon blend has the typically sweet cavendish aroma along with an unobtrusively natural bourbon scent.

This is a blend of golden virginia and burley cavendishes along with black (burley?) cavendish that is rather sweet without becoming excessively syrupy. The bourbon whiskey topping is credible and admirably plays the role of unifying agent.

A classic, Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey is a quietly elegant smoke for those who enjoy tobaccos on the sweeter side.

Chamber Gauge: Medium to Wide

Bourbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bourbon (4)

I saw the "Bourbon Whiskey" and had to give it a try. No bourbon taste, no whiskey hint, no hint of anything really. Burns easy and fast, but I may of just got an old dry bag. Gave it to a friend, and he didn't care for it so much either. Kentucky gentleman from out local Straus tobacconist is much better, and actually has a pleasant hint of whiskey.

Raylon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raylon (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Has anyone ever used a mixture of Borkum Riff Whiskey and Old Drum by Grant's, a Tabacco store in San Francisco,Calif. ??

I smoked this blend 30 years ago and it was outstanding. My wife and anyone around me really enjoyed it. It had a light chocolate smell. I am starting the pipe again and wanted to see if anyone out there has heard or used on this mixture.

NBPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NBPiper (2)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

As a newbie pipe smoker, and a whisky drinker, I thought this would be a great choice for me. Boy, was I wrong. Way too much bite to it, and really hard to keep lit. Not recommended at all.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)

After reading the reviews for both Borkum Riff and Captain Black I'm confused. The concensus seems to be BR is bad and CB is great. IMHO, neither is very good but, in comparison, BR is much better. No offense to those of you who like the CB blends but they gag me with their sickeningly sweet sticky toppings. (Actually, gold label is the only CB blend I've tried. It was so nauseating I couldn't bring myself to try the other CB blends.) BR does have decent tobacco leaf and the casing enhances rather than hides the taste of the natural tobacco. It burns a tad bit hot if puffed too briskly but it stays lit and it doesn't bite. If drug store stuff is all that is available I buy a pouch of BR.

TheWhiteAfrican Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWhiteAfrican (6)
Mild Medium Full Pleasant

The more people tell me something is terrible, the more I want it. So, I ran down to a pharmacy (I believe it was RiteAid) and picked up a pouch. Yum! I can see where people wouldn't like this, but I am a fan of Bourbon, and, for the price, this was a fun and tasty smoke. Cheap, and my eccentric lover really enjoys the room note. If you like aromatic alcohol tobaccos and enjoy experimenting, then try this. If you don't, then don't.

LaneCenturion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LaneCenturion (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

Personally, not a big fan, very dry and similar to a non-filtered Camel cigarette. This is the first "drugstore" brand in which i've not found one likeable quality. Pass on this one.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When the fall comes rolling in, I crave pipe tobacco really bad for some reason. Past few years its been Sail green. i can't find the sail anymore so picked up a pouch of this BR bourban whiskey. I have been smoking it like crazy. I dont know alot about blends and did order up somw gawith and davidoff. i just love the stuff and look foward to trying out a vareity. I like the BR bourban whiskey and after the pouch got some air to it, it started burnin better and NO bite. nummy ~sweetbriar

Pyrenish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pyrenish (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

as a new pipe smoker i was lead to belive that pipe tobacco was far superior to cigarette tobacco, however after only 1/2 a bowl of this blend i would prefer a cigarette any day, now, this may be attributed to the fact that A. this was my first bowl, B. it was smoked out of a fairly badly made homemade pipe, and C, im fairly shure i dident follow proper packing technique. still, im am not a fan of this blend, i relit this bowl upwards of 10 times and it refused to stay lit, the tobacco had quite a bite, magnified due to the fact that i had to continuously puff on it for it to stay lit, and the flavor was quite underwelming, tho i plan to re-review this after purchasing a proper pipe and paying more detail to packing and lighting, i can honestly say that i am far from impressed.

Shawn_M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shawn_M (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Not the greatest blend I've tried but not quite the worst.

It does not smoke the way it smells, but its not totally unpleasent, there is a flavour somewhat like bourbon whiskey but somewhat unlike it.

WARNING: It's a biter, slow and easy with this one unless you want a very painfull tongue.

I probably won't be buying this again, but I would not turn it down if offered.

Updated 10/8/10: The other day I found I had half a pouch of BW as well as half a pouch of Half and Half and decided to blend them.

I was rather surprised as they compliment each other nicely, H&H stands well on it's own and it really mellowed the BW and improved the flavour. I suspect that BW goes well as a blending agent with other tobaccos and plan to experiment.

Yeti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yeti (1)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Strong

terrible. as others have said, i wanted to like it. it SMELLS great in the pouch. someone out there probably likes it, if they like the taste of wet, salted vegetables. it burned well though, but bites hard and stings the next day. hate it. every few weeks i mix it in with some cavendish, and ruin an otherwise good smoke (i still have no idea why).

dont buy it. it sucks.

pufdragn63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pufdragn63 (13)

I wanted to like this one.

The pouch aroma is great and the wife telIs me the room note is quite good. It lights easily and those first few puffs seem quite promising but it's all down hill from there. It quickly turns harsh and nasty. Cool-smoking? Exquisite taste? Dynamic? Lies! All Lies!

A good contender for a 'discreetly masculine' potpourri perhaps, but save your pipes and matches for better tobaccos.

mitts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mitts (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I AGREE WITH MOST OF THE REVIEWS IT SMELLS GREAT IN THE POUCH BUT LETS ITSELF DOWN BY BEING A BIT OF A TOUNGE BITER WITH A AVERAGE TASTE SOME CLAN SMOKERS MIGHT LIKE IT

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)

The new manufacturer has significantly improved this mixture.

The original mixture was so much cased that it would bite and the casing would harass your senses.

This one actually tastes of tobacco. It's an acceptable mixture occasionnaly when I seek a change of pace.

dwilliams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dwilliams (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is only my second tobacco I've tried, the other being Captain Black Cherry. Of the two this is far superior. The taste reminds me of a cigar and while there is not a huge whiskey taste, it has all the burn. Would not recommend for those seeking a mild tobacco but for those who would like a tobacco with the burn of whiskey, pick this up. It was extremely mild, I only smoke every other week or so( and only one bowl) and unlike the Captain Black, I experienced no nicotine headache after smoking a bowl. I did how ever experience a sharp taste on my tongue when drinking soda afterward. overall a nice, cheap tobacco for smoking slowly and thoughtfully.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)

I will bore you all with a quick story on this one. We take our summer holidays on the Costa Brava at a town called Estertit in the Catalonian area of Spain.

There is a lovely litle cigar shop there that sells Pipe Tobacco but not pipes. They obviously do not stock Gawiths Best Brown or Ennerdale Flake, I would not expect them to. But they allways have the good old European favourite St Bruno and at about four euros a go I buy a few packs and bring some back with me.However this time same shop, same girl serving, no St Bruno. I was right out at this point so I scanned the shelves.There were a lot of European blends that I know off but do not trust and a few of the Borkum Riff range.

When I first took up the art I used to have Riff Cherry Cavandish but quickly moved onto other things and have never looked back. I am also aware that Borkum Riff gets a right hammering on this site. I went for the Bourbon Whiskey thinking that this could be a bad holiday. I was pleasantly suprised, I was waiting for tounge bit that never came, I am not sure what Bourbon Whiskey tastes like but I could not taste whiskey of any kind in it. It is very heavily cased but smooth aromatic and has a very sweet chocolate taste. After a couple of bowels I was smokeing it without a second thought. I am actually smoking it now and I have got two packs in stock as it was so cheap.I proboly wouldnt buy it out of choice, I am virginia man myself but I would not dismiss it out of hand if you fancy an aromatic. If there are aromatic smokers who have not tried it yet, get you some at once!

moresco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moresco (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm beginning in this "science". So, I don't have patterns to compare w different tobaccos. But I can talk about the experience of smoking this one. It burns your tongue! The guy in the shop said that was a good tobacco to start. LIAR! Easy to pack, easy to light. Just it. I know how bourbon should taste, I didn't find this on BR Bourbon Whiskey. It doesn't let a good smell in the air too. So, I say: you may try it, but...

UPDATE: After trying better tobaccos, unfortunately I have to downgrade this one. I discovered that the tongue bite of this blend is way stronger than others (some just don't have it!). so, now I give it just one star.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

This is a different product from a year ago, drier and less aromatic, pouch aroma is alluring but faint. More of a light Danish topping rather than a heavy casing. Can't say it smells like Bourbon, a bit like Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic, but much less pronounced and enjoyable. Somewhat dry in the pouch.

I tried it in different pipes including a cob, with the same result - heavy tongue bite.

Difficult to light, the smoke is dry and mild bodied. The pouch smell does not translate into the taste of the smoke, which is pleasant - more mild virginia and less sweet burly with a hint of chocolate. Actually quite nice. The side stream is mild and smells of tobacco, not any flavoring or casing. This could be a very enjoyable smoke if it did not bite.

Aftertaste is similar to smoking a mid grade cigar, the taste of tobacco and a tingling sensation in your mouth. But after the tobacco taste fads the tongue bite remains.

Another reviewer mentioned the Borkum Riff products are now make by McBaron (in the review for the BR "Natural"). Since I enjoy the Danish presentation (a light flavoring that burns off quickly leaving a clean tobacco taste in a dry smoke), I decided to try it.

For me, McBaron and Borkum Riff products bite while Peter Stokkebye is just fine. since I only smoke 1 or 2 pipes a day, this weed is not worth it, there are to many exemplary smokes on the market at the same price point. Pass on this one.

Dewey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dewey (5)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I've been smoking a pipe a little over a month now and I will say this is the best I've ever had. Being unexperienced I have only Prince Albert and Carter Hill (also Black Cherry & Vanilla aromatics but I don't count those) to compare to. I took a chance on this at the tobacco shop because I'm still experimenting and was hoping to find "the one". I own two very old Dr. Grabow's that belonged, one to my grandfather, and the other to my uncle, both around 50 years old. I can remember being very young and finding these on the bookshelf in the stand they've stayed on for years, taking them down and smelling inside the bowl. The smell was something so rich and sweet I will never forget it, and it's that particular aroma that I'm hoping to one day find and call my own. SO far this tobacco is very close to what I'm looking for. Along with a very pleasant smell it has virtually zero tongue bite. It's very "light" for lack of better terms, which is somewhat of a tradeoff to what I'm actually looking to find as a daily tobacco, since it is very light on flavor also. There is a hint of whiskey taste to it. If I could find a Brand with this same smokability but with more robust flavor, and keep the tongue bite out of the equation I'd be in heaven. For now, I'll try the Borkum & Riff Vanilla Cavendish next since I already saw it at the shop next to this blend, and keep Borkum & Riff as my favorite smoke.

appy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
appy (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Call me a purest, but this is NOT the whiskey version I puffed on from days gone buy. An attorney pal o mine drags on this fodder without exception. Recently the blenders of this trash went retro with packaging. Back to the old black classic package. My ambulance chasing buddie insisted it try it. So I did. My God. Tongue bite, mold, no flavor what so ever. Refused to stay lit. And honestly smelled like burning sweaty socks. The only thing Im my mind that would be that foul. Home I went and dug through my stock. A while back I purchased a new pipe and was gifted with several pouches of tobacco. I found Dutch Masters whiskey that I hadent tryed yet. WOW.Upon opening the pouch I was hit in the scences with the aroma of the old Borkum Riff Whisky!!!!! The look, feel, aroma was as i remembered. Very wet in the poly pouch, I jarred this for a month. Im a cob I proceeded to fire up this weed. DAMN!!! This was exactly the BR of old. Strong, smokey, heavily scented. Another card game with my shyster cronie. He took a wiff of my exhaust fumes and immediatly begged for a sample. His reaction upon lighting up was almost orgasmic. He insisted I tell him what B and M shop i aquired the weed. I just chuckled and imformed him that this is a Dutch Masters whiskey blend, and that in fact this is what the old BR was like. Its a true shame thata so many good OTC bakkys had to change. To the younger pipers reading here,, give the Dutch Masters whiskey a shot. You will find a pleasent aromatic for those that like alcohol fueled blends. I am in hopes that the blenders or alchemists that blend the current BR read and take heed. Like so many reviews here state, to bad old classics have been ruined or no longer available. Happy puffing to all the fine ladies and gents here!!!!!

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (35)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This was the first Tobacco,I cut my proverbial-teeth on(30yrs ago)I took it for a spin,2mnths back...To see if it was as HOT+Mediocre as i remember....Indeed still"Poor"drugstore-tobacco!I would recommend it if;you have a Texas-Mickey of Whiskey to conquer over a long weekend(so you don't use up your good tobacco/and still have something to smoke) :-{

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Tried this some thirty five years ago, and once was enough. I'm not sure if I finished the pouch, I just remember a hint of cheap boubon on cavendish that burned on the hot side, judging by the reviews below, nothing has changed. How this could be recommended to new pipe smokers is beyond me.

meanmrmustard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meanmrmustard (34)

Red Eye Whiskey, certainly not Jamesons 18! Young smokers beware, the bite you'll get from this may ruin your pipe smoking experience forever, it burns the tongue, gum's, palate, lips, need I say more? How can this abomination stay on the market? One word sums this up, GARBAGE!

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

This stuff bit me so hard I thought I would have to get rabies shots. Different people have different tastes and you may love this stuff.

I won't throw this stuff away but I don't ever see myself smoking the rest of the pouch. Maybe if I was stranded on a rock in the middle of the ocean and couldn't even find any sea weed to dry out and smoke I'd try it again. Until that happens it's going in a jar to be sealed away in the closet.

FLChrisC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FLChrisC (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I recently picked up a pouch of this stuff from the local smoke shop. The owner himself said it was one of their best sellers. I have no idea why..The minute I opened the pouch, it reaked, somewhat like that of cigarettes (no offense intended, I jut absolutely hate cigarettes). I packed the bowl full using the Three- layer method. I just couldn't keep the stuff lit. After every couple draws, it would to out (I used 2 charring lights, an initial light and 2 tampings). It tasted very strong. The only thing that comes to mind would be cigarettes..again. Unless you're looking for a cigarette-like smoke in your pipe, stay away. I couldn't even taste or smell the "Bourbon Whiskey" supposedly infused within the tobacco. This deserves probably 1/2 a star, rather than a full star.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (25)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

all i can say is YUCK, terrible!!! I threw up after half the bowl, it hit my stomach and boom. very displeased. first it was to dry, then no flavor of any kind, and the tobacco flavor was sickening. after a day or so i tried another bowl, lightly packed, and i didn't upchuck but it was still the same nasty crap, it truly deserves one star mabey less!

colt25314 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colt25314 (41)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Manyyears ago this was a classic. Now it is typical of drug store tabackey. It is not cheap and thre are plety of better offerings for much less. look to C&D or Lane. Just don't look for Borkum Riff. It is goopy, wet and vegital in taste by mid smoke. Too bad. A once fine blent destroyed.

Demetri Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Demetri (83)

Ah, memory lane... I see we have two Borkum Riff whiskey blends here on TR being reviewed. I suspected they were the same with pouch styles leading to confusion. I am not going to clear that possible state up in the least. And I am going against the flow of the earlier reviews here with my opinion. Two days ago, while refilling an Rx at local supermarket I wandered over to tobacco shelves as I waited. There rested a single, lone pouch of Borkum Riff Whiskey in front of a full facing of BR Whiskey pouched as the image above. This lone pouch was in the familiar black and white with a red ribbon denoting "Whiskey". This was the package I was familiar with; I would never have bought the others. (Lesson for the power of visual branding in marketing). I bought it without hesitation despite panning reviews here. Back in 1970, when I once ran out of my #965 while on campus I went to local pharmacy to get something to smoke until I could get home to Tobak- Va Beach for 965 replenishment. BR was something new. I bought it. I smoked it. I liked it. (I know...heresy for an English fan). Later, upon return home I found this in a handsome tin and bought it as the trade-off smoke to my 965. I'm not sure why I quit it. Perhaps the Dunhill appealed more then, it certainly does now. Back to present day: I got home and grabbed my Kaywoodie billiard - a coincidence that this was the same pipe I used in college to smoke this. I lit up. Yuck. This couldn't be the same stuff I used to enjoy. Is everything "better in the past"? No, it was my pipe. After two bowls which gave me an astringent, chalky, almost bitey experience I set the pouch aside for storage and mentally prepared another panning review for my friends here. This afternoon, however, on a whim, I tried this in another pipe I keep for aromatics - a little used, but very clean, dry Brebbia and ...the pipe was the problem. This blend was as enjoyable for me, in small batches as I used to smoke it, as ever. Now, I wouldn't be buying more and I think there are both better and worse whiskeys available now, but I enjoyed it enough to (shock) rate it 3 stars

(and Kaywoodie is in dry dock)

NobleRot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobleRot (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I know BR products usually get ripped on reviews, even though most pipers enjoy some drugstore brands whether they admit it or not. My tobacconist carries a few blends and I picked one of the Bourbon Whiskey just on a whim. I was pleasantly surprised. I packed it tightly and it was low maintenance from there. Stayed lit for the whole bowl. I enjoyed the cool, easy smoke, no bite. The Bourbon flavor is evident, perhaps just north of a suggestion of flavor. For $4 or so, grab some. Wife liked the Room Note. My pouch was right on with moisture and did not leave my briar goopy at all.

Lii Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lii (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

BR Bourbon with coffee in the morning is a great day starter.It does not bite, it is not goopy and it does have great Bourbon flavor if you just slow down. I will be happy with a tin of BRB and one of CBW to cover my daily "drugstore" blends.

Old Northern Smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Northern Smoky (33)

Danish-made for Swedish Match. Well its a darn site better than the Cherry Liqueur! Giving BR a second chance I doled out the $60 for a 200 gram container (yes, $60!!!, Canadian Federal and Provincial Governments tax tobacco to death).

To me the raw aroma is that of a mild whiskey topping but the scent of pure tobacco is not completely erased. Once lit the room note is just slightly aromatic......not as pleasant as CB Royal, but nice enough not to get kicked out of the house.

It packs fine and lights easily and burns to a grey ash nearly all the way down. The last bit is just too moist to burn. The taste is typical BR which means I don't taste much of anything and if you push it a wee bit it will bite. The first half of the bowl is pleasant to smoke though but the last half seems to get a bit harsh for me and makes it unpleasant to continue. Lots of gurgle once you get past the first half bowl.

All in all its an OK tobacco in a small bowl but I'd rather spend my $$ on CB any day. I won't buy this again but that's just me.

Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This tobacco smelled nice in the pouch and upon lighting it smelled nice as well. There was a significant amount of mouth bite...yes my whole mouth stung. After the first minute this started to just taste badly...very chemical type of taste. It burned well, produced a good volume of smoke, but the taste and aroma were just too much for me and this found its way to the trash can after one bowl. My mouth stopped stinging after about ten minutes and now its just an unpleasant memory.

The Punisher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Punisher (44)

Update 03/09/2009

This tobacco is well suited for beginners that wish to upgrade the strength of their current tobaccos.

Original review - 03/31/2008

I admit I tried this tobacco again only when I heard that a new manufacturer from Denmark was producing it; my past interactions with BF bourbon were rather disastrous.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a more complex tobacco than used to be - the leaves range from golden brown to medium brown, combined with a fair amount of dark brown and black leaf. Of note, this mixture is not overwhelmed by the casing as it used to be with the previous manufacturer. It seems more, as Tantric pointed out, a topping now. The bourbon aroma is subtle and intermixed with distinct tobacco aroma.

The cut being was it is - the " Borkum Riff cut", almost a shag cut- it is easy to fill in , light and maintain with minimal attention. Both the tobacco and bourbon topping are present, the tongue bite is inexistant unless you push it, and it actually smokes dry all the way, for a change. I was satisfied with this tobacco, which obviuosly underwent a major upgrade in quality!

A very nice, welcomed change of pace: whenever I will crave a simple but good drugstore tobacco, I will reach for this one. Open the pouch, fill in your pipe, smoke. So simple! I appreciate simplicity every once in a while.

2.5 stars

Harpua0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Harpua0077 (31)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As far as Whiskey blends go this one is pretty decent. It is nice that it is available at the local grocery store here in my small town. Infact the Whiskey is the only blend of Borkum they carry.

Tell you the truth I am not sure why I only give it two stars perhaps because so much outshines it. Perhaps because it really gunks up the pipe. Whatever the reason I like this only as a rare smoke and it is unlikly to see its way into my rotation more than once or twice a year. My Personal notes rating is about 5.3 better than average but not worth getting to often.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tried this one years ago as I was always attracted to the aroma when a fellow piper was smoking it. I had to smoke it slowly as it burned hot and would most definitely bite if puffed too hard. None of that delectable room note was ever present for me as I smoked it, and its overall flavor was way too mild. I always enjoyed it when it was in someone elses pipe, but not when in mine. That translates to 2 stars for me.

UPDATE 7-18-12: Picked up a 200 gram tin from JR Tobacco last night and must say it was better tasting than remembered. Still a very beautiful room note. All in all, raising it a star to recommended.

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (56)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was really disappointed with this one, i had great expectations as my father smoked this blend for several years and raved about it(whether or not the mixture has changed over the years i dont know) the tobacco and cut resmbled and smelled something of cigarette baccy and i couldnt detect the "bourbon" in pouch at all. It packed well and stayed lit, but it bured awfully hot and fats too. Once again i couldnt detect any bourbon topping, it was more of a vanilla, maybe a bit of maple? I think in a pinch id smoke it but if i had the choice id smoke something else.

Mark Devall Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mark Devall (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I am smoking this now and I've smoked it before. It's pretty good with a glass of bourbon. Seems like alot of people hate it. When you get bored of your soapy latakia come back to this. It's real tobacco (not bad for a supermarket blend) and it smokes just fine and dandy - it's OK really.

TobaccoMan2012 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TobaccoMan2012 (28)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I just tried this tobacco, it is pretty good. It does not bite, but it is a little strong. I would recommend this to people who like aromatic and stronger tobacco.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)

When I was still a child (late 60s/early 70s) I remember my uncle smoking this blend. I would pick up his pouch and gawk at it cuz I thought it looked cool. He would snatch it from me before I spilled it or something. You always knew when uncle Pete was near- by cuz you would catch a whiff of that unmistakable BR bourbon aroma. When I was old enough I tried the pipe and this was the first tobacco I ever bought. Despite being green and sick for days I was determined to make the habit a part of my being.

This is not the best pipe mixture in the world but its not too bad either. Experience eventually leads you to far better tobaccos. But I do have a fondness for BR bourbon and simply cannot bad mouth it and I always keep a pouch of it with my stash.

Now that Swedish Match has come out with the 40 year anniversary pouch depicting the old school graphic I bought two pouches. I don't intend to smoke them, but keep them as they are cuz that graphic may never be seen again.

Arrostos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arrostos (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This one is a very expensive tobacco here in Greece (it costs 13 euros per pouch), so I usually order it from abroad. I have found it a very good choice thanks to its pleasant room note and its tender feeling (with a little bit burning) in mouth and nose. Maybe not the best one (because you sometimes find yourself being bored) but a nice one to put your trust in, when you do not have in the cupboard your perfect ones...

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

*Update: well it smoked OK for a week or two, then seemed to go back to it's old ways. Went flat, stale real quick. Better than it used to be but you can do better.

In the mid to late '70s, I alway had a can of Borkum Riff Bourbon on my study desk and smoked a ton of it. It had a strong casing, not terribly unpleasant but very "definite", it smoked hot and it was hard to find a true tobacco taste. Hey, I didn't know any better and after several years of this being my everyday/all day smoke I moved on. Lots of young guys smoked this "back when".

This new version is definitely NOT the same stuff at all. The smell of the tobacco in the pouch is way toned down. Same cut for sure. The flavor is that of a plain burley with an occasional hint of virginia and the whisper of topping. Smokes like a straight up burley blend, nice tobacco taste. It burns nicely. And this new stuff doesn't bite unless really pushed. This won't put Dunhill out of business but I can see picking a pouch of this to have for.....well, studying (again) or reading. A pleasant suprise! The change in blenders had made a huge difference IMHO.

paulwfromtheden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulwfromtheden (14)

As enjoyable as I can remember it. This tobacco just seems to get better and better. On the recommendations on here I tried this for the first time and found it thoroughly enjoyable. Actually, I have changed my mind....I'm sure the tobacco has changed over the last couple of years, it's shit.

stevo192 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stevo192 (2)

I first tried this tobacco around a month and a half ago. I bought a 50g pouch from my local tobacconist just to try really. I like whiskey so I thought 'Hey, I'll give it a go!'. However, when I got home, I loaded one of my pipes with it and off I went. I really did not like it. I thought it simply tasted like a very cheap VA with very little (if any!) whiskey flavour to it.

One and a half months later, I found it in my tobacco drawer and decided to give it another go. This time, I found it to be rather more pleasant. It tasted smooth and light and I even tasted a hint of whiskey! The burley and virginia are without doubt the strongest flavours in this tobacco but around half way through the bowl, I started to get some of the other cavendish flavours coming through.

All in all, not too bad a tobacco after all. It will no doubt be smoked more often just as a light aromatic when I am in the mood for that kind of thing, but I really would have liked to have tasted a little more whiskey. I find Peterson's Irish Whiskey to be generally better in terms of the whiskey flavour and general taste so I will probably stick with that!

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (17)

This isn't a bad tasting tobacco. It's casing is worthwhile and the tobacco they use isn't a bad quality for the money. It tastes pretty good smoked slowly but don't expect any 'woohooing' going on. I don't want to turn anyone away from it however and I do enjoy it with whiskey flavoured coffee in the afternoon or out on the porch. It's room note is quite nice, similar to a sweet whiskey that's sat in an open barrel for a couple days and allowed to evaporate until only sugar remained. If you want a pleasant smoke for peanuts then pick up a pack from your drug store. You may or may not pick up another. I do recommend it though and it's quality isn't too bad. It gets a little better with age and I do recommend for you to keep it's moisture content high or higher then as it comes as. Not a badly cased tobacco in my opinion.

Eonwe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eonwe (22)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco was a bit of a surprise for me. I was expecting the cheap, stale taste of Capt. Black, and the other similar crap cavandish...But this, which I bought in the pouch, is a very decent drug store blend that is worth picking up on a whim. The tobacco is in a cut similar to shag rolling tobacco, and in the my pouch, I found the moisture to be prefect...the pouch aroma is great, as well as the scrumtious smoke that even anti-smoking cry babies will adore. This did smoke rather quickly, yet cool and even. It satisfied desire for nicotine, but still I would rather see more kick to this blend, but on the stronger side of the drug-store variety. This, Im sure, will battle many times with Half & half for my attention, which is my other favorite cheap tobak...Oh! and I heard a rumor that Stephen King likes this blend...but who knows.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I smoked this on a regular basis for about two yrs. It was before I found tobacco reviews com.Ilike it and always keep some around.Every so often I have a bowl for something differant and it still taste good.I will add there are much better tobacs around but i can pick this up any time. Not a bad smoke for the money.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Initially it should be separated in two categories: The [German-Swedish manufacture and B: The Danish manufacture. Anyway, it is from the most commercial signs in the whole world. However, choice B is a lot better, with better tobacco, stronger and more tasteful, the Bourbon. Constantly fresh even after you open it, which leads you to the conclusion that an artificial stuff has been used. It is one of the first good tobaccos that we smoked -full of pride- in my country and we have tried hard to find it. For this reason, I will give him 2 stars.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Well, here we go again with what has been a long standing over-the-counter classic tobacco. Yep: this is a remake of the old German blended Borkum Riff, now produced in Denmark. I don't know if this is now being made by Orlik or MacBaren, or some other Danish firm, but I agree with my fellow reviewers in that there has been a noticeable improvement in many of the BR offerings.

I believe the new blenders are more cautious in their flavoring technique (the tobacco now has more of a topping rather than a casing ambiance), and the choice and quality of leaf seem to be better than previously. Most BRs are composed of Burley and Virginia, and this one has a strong Burley under taste that makes it quite palatable.

So, though we are still talking of a highly commercial blend, designed to be smoked without further ado, it has now a stronger or clearer tobacco flavor and its closer to a quality blend than to an artificial-chemical concoction.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not bad for a drugstore tobacco. I buy this if im in a jam and have no other choice.

bearzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearzerker (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I don't know what it is about this tobacco but I really enjoy smoking it and crave it when I'm out of it. Maybe it's because of my Swedish heritage but I have a soft spot in my heart for BR. I live in a small town and the only pipe tobaccos you can get here are the old school over the counter, drugstore brands. BR being one of them. This is a pleasant tasting blend, very mellow and I love the aroma. My only question is, why do they call this bourbon whiskey? I drink bourbon quite often and the smell and taste of this tobacco isn't that of bourbon. Actually I'm not quite sure what to call it but I do like it. I find that it has a nice sweet, rich taste but tends to get a little strong mid bowl. If you're a fan of aromatics I think you might enjoy smoking this. Give it a shot.

Dan, Cordoba Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dan, Cordoba Man (9)

Well, just checking out the local variety which amounts to about 8 to 10. We have no tobacconist in our area, so you have to know what's available local for when you run out of good stuff. This is one of the best I've had from a supermarket/variety. There is some whiskey taste at the start, but that burns off within 10 minutes, but closer to the bottom reveals a good blend of tobaccos. Mild but tasty, and burns clean at the bottom. Not as good as those I can order online, but good to remember.

thorsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thorsman (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Having read the various reviews on varieties of this classic drugstore brand, it was with some trepidation that I even removed it from the shelf at the store. I was expecting to get tongue bite just from handling the pouch. Bourbon sounded good, and I was encouraged by the fact that the package proclaimed "Made in Denmark". The instant rebate didn't hurt either. I plunked down the rather modest price and figured it was worth a chance.

On opening the pouch, I was surprised to find that the tobacco smelled for the most part like tobacco, rather than bourbon. Neither was the tobacco overly wet, as were most bourbon flavored aromatics that I have tried. The moisture level was just about what I consider perfect. The cut is longer than I generally like these days, but tolerable.

I proceeded to load up the knockabout pipe that happened to be with me. Packing was a little clumsy due to the length of the strands, but easy enough. After the charring lights, I settled down to a surprisingly pleasant smoke.

This is not a complex or pretentious tobacco. The bourbon flavoring is very sparing indeed, and you have to look for the flavor. Mostly there is just mild tobacco taste. It is consistent from the top of the bowl to the bottom. I experienced none of the fabled tongue bite associated with Borkum Riff varieties. When I got to the bottom of the bowl, there was nothing but grey and black ash, no goop or moisture at all.

The room note is so soft that it's hardly worth mentioning. Even in the confines of my vehicle, a small crack in the vent window was enough to completely remove the smell of smoke. A few minutes after I finished the bowl you'd never have known that I had one.

Since that first bowl I've had several more, and the smoking has been consistent, regardless of the pipe in use. The aftertaste is even nice. I'm pretty sure there is humectant there somewhere, as there is in most drugstore pouches, but it didn't come forward to spoil the smoking.

This is pretty darn good performance for a drug store pouch, IMHO. It's not something I'd buy a big tin of and smoke all the time, although I think you could if you wanted to. Certainly it will be on my list for those times when I just need a simple, pleasant smoke that doesn't require too much of my attention. The very soft room note and lack of persistence makes it great in the car.

Overall, recommended... remembering that this is a drugstore tobacco that's available almost everywhere, not a carefully hand blended mixture. A complete surprise, but a pleasant one.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

To all the fans of tongue bite: buy this tobacco. To all the fans of cheap, watered down whiskey: buy this tobacco. To all the newbies who are thinking of giving up pipe smoking after trying this: buy a good tobacco. To anybody who thinks this is good tobacco: upgrade and you won't have to spend a night in the emergency room having your tongue removed.

UPDATE: Oct. 2013. I was given part of a pouch of the new version of this blend. It seems the new manufacturer has improved this tobacco quite a bit. I got no tongue bite and more bourbon flavor than I did when I used to smoke it. I did notice a chemical taste at times, but not always. Since it's improved, I'm changing my rating from one to two stars. My feelings about the old version have not changed.

Dr. Tongue Bite Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Tongue Bite (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been smoking this off and on since the 1990s. Mildly aromatic, but would not recommend for those who lean towards aromatic. It will bite and requires re-lighting often. Having said that; its the best smoke for me. Room note is OK, but thats not why I smoke a pipe anyway. Highly recommended as an everyday smoke. Although I like to try other tobaccos, I always come back to my Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey.

Percy Dovetussel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Percy Dovetussel (7)

In 1969 I tried my first pouch of Borkum Riff tobacco in a pouch that cost .35 cents for 2 and 1/2 ounces. I had a corn cob pipe (I was 14 years old). At the time, the mixture was very moist and well matured. I thought it was the greatest pipe tobacco I ever smoked. I nearly went through the whole pouch and often would spend evenings like Sherlock Holmes, piling large quantities of smoked portions on a table along with a gallon of iced tea to cool the tongue. I always considered this blend to be the "Marlboro" of the pipe tobacco industry. The mixture became very popular later much to my dismay because the quality began to decline in that the moisture content vanished, the quantity was reduced, the tin version discontinued, and the sudden propensity of different flavors led to diffuse enjoyment as the company ventured into Cherry blends, Congac, Champagne, Rum, etc. All for naught. However, the brand still is around and is popular to this day. I abandoned the brand long ago in favor of others and in the long run had stopped smoking for a period due to the ill health of one of my children. When I returned, Caesar Borgia was available and I thought it's amphora like qualities were a notch above returning to my old habits. There is no doubt that this is still a prince of tobaccos and you will find it a decent "everyday" blend.